New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Faceman: Who makes a good Faceman classwise?

I tend to think the Bard is good at this, but I’m just looking who may have the most utility as the face of the group? Be it for spells or just simple modifiers? What do y’all think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Faceman: Who makes a good Faceman classwise?

Any of the classes that use charisma as their main stat.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Faceman: Who makes a good Faceman classwise?

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    Any of the classes that use charisma as their main stat.
    But is any one of them better for passing persuasion/deception checks? Like spell wise? I don’t usually play a caster.

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

Oath of Redemption has a nice divine booster for Persuasion, but I would only consider that after having the Bard levels for Expertise (in Persuasion and/or Deception) and the immensely flexible Bardic Inspiration (to convince yourself that you're the best at Persuasion/Deception).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Bard
    Sorcerer
    Warlock
    Paladin

i.e. what N810 said.

However, aside from CHA it also depends on proficiency in relevant skills – Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception, and Insight (WIS). The Bard's Jack of All Trades makes sure you have at least half proficiency in all of those, so that's a very good class for party face. Otherwise you'd have to put your skill proficiencies there. Bards also have colleges that improve their social abilities, so they are the best of the best (Glamour & Whispers). Since everyone prefers to have Perception proficiency, and martial/melee classes tend to have at least Acrobatics or Athletics as one of their skills, the Paladin drops to a 2nd tier candidate for party face due to lack of skills. Rogues can get expertise in their social skills, which equalizes with a high CHA modifier, although they tend to prefer Stealth, Slight of Hand, and Perception. So let's arrange the list as:

1. Bard
    2. Sorcerer & Warlock
    3. Paladin & Rogue
    4. non-melee & high WIS
    5. everyone else

Half-Elves are a great race for party face due to their 2 extra skills and high CHA.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

BARD and/or certain rogues. Just put expertize in a social skill and have moderate charisma.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Bard. Bard it hard.

Although, there are a few dips into other classes that can allow you to further stack Persuasion/Deception checks in your favor. Divine Soul Sorcerer can get the Guidance cantrip, or a Fey Warlock can use their charm/fear ability, not to mention forcing disadvantage on your opponent's roll with Hex.

Specter's Social God Guide is pretty comprehensive for this role.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Best Face is the one with the player who doesn't just stroll into the dragon lair and say "Hi, sweet thing, let's get it on!" but works his way up to it in a series of steps, each of which seemed plausible at the time, delivering Magic Mouths with a romantic verse, leaving bouquets outside the cave, learning to tango, and so forth, until eventually the DM realizes " I need to pick out names for their baby half-dragons ...what did I just say? ... HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? "
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Best Face is the one with the player who doesn't just stroll into the dragon lair and say "Hi, sweet thing, let's get it on!" but works his way up to it in a series of steps, each of which seemed plausible at the time, delivering Magic Mouths with a romantic verse, leaving bouquets outside the cave, learning to tango, and so forth, until eventually the DM realizes " I need to pick out names for their baby half-dragons ...what did I just say? ... HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? "
    oh god that s too good.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Warlock has a good trick whereby they can get an invocation to cast Disguise Self at will that lets them much more freely abuse the Friends cantrip.

Generally speaking though Enhance Ability is the much safer option than trying charm spells (even as an Enchantment wizard in my opinion).

Sorc gets subtle spell which can let you cast mind effecting spells mid-conversation.

Bards get expertise which honestly is generally probably going to be the more sensible option. Glamour bards get some relevant abilities but at 14th level Lore Bards can add their bardic inspiration to their own checks which gives them a substantial edge.

Bards and Warlocks also get access to Glibness which combined with expertise can make your minimum roll 32.
    Last edited by Contrast; 2020-01-17 at 03:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardfolk

and then choose a certain dragonmark and add a d4 to that
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    Oath of Redemption has a nice divine booster for Persuasion, but I would only consider that after having the Bard levels for Expertise (in Persuasion and/or Deception) and the immensely flexible Bardic Inspiration (to convince yourself that you're the best at Persuasion/Deception).
    Bards can’t inspire themselves using Bardic Inspiration. Otherwise that would make “Peerless Skill” a useless ability.

After Expertise you want Enhance Ability: Eagle’s Splendor instead.

If UA is allowed, I believe some BattleMaster levels could get you a few +1d8 to Deception and i think Persuasion via Silver Tongue maneuver.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On a horse cart, in a Goblin ambush.

13. - Top - End - #13

Class wise, I would say the Bard.

Any class can use CHR, yes.

But Paladins are typically not one to be a "faceman" - if it requires lying (for the most part).
    Sorcerers also use CHR, but ... they tend to have odd things (wild magic or whatever, or dressed in arcane robes, which may make some villagers nervous).
    The bard can dress in normal attire, use their charm and wit, to be the faceman - tell the truth or tell a lie - all for the sake of just bringing the smarm.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRogueGuy

In order:

Bards: duh
    Sorcerers: High Charisma and Subtle Spell
    Warlocks: Charisma, skills, and some useful spells and Invocations
    Rogues: Expertise
    Paladins: Good Charisma but limited skills and spells
    Wizards: Charisma is for suckers when you can just Charm them
    Clerics/Druids: A couple situational spells and a potentially high Insight
    Monks: Fluent in every spoken language at Level 13+
    Fighters: You've got the ASIs to build towards social stuff if you really want
    Rangers: Insight?
    Barbarians: Intimidate?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Bards make the best social interaction character ... high charisma ... lots of skills and expertise. Combine these and expertise in deception/persuasion and the bard is difficult to beat.

Next up are rogues with a decent charisma and expertise in social skills. They also get bonus points for reliable talent.

Next would be any human charisma based character who takes the Prodigy feat to get expertise in a social skill. Not as versatile as a rogue/bard who can have expertise in multiple skills.

Expertise > stat for social interactions.
    e.g.
    level 5 charisma character - +4 stat +3 proficiency = +7
    level 5 character with 14 charisma and expertise - +2 stat +6 expertise = +8

---

After expertise, any charisma character with proficiency will have a decent number but it won't come close to a bard.
    e.g.
    level 9 sorcerer +5 stat +4 proficiency = +9
    level 9 bard +5 stat +8 expertise = +13

I currently have a 14th level character (12 bard/2 warlock) with expertise in persuasion/deception and a stone of good luck - +5 stat +10 expertise +1 stone = +16 to these checks. The average result is a 26.

In addition, bards and rogues also get more skills which makes it easier to pick up the social skills along with others.

---

P.S. Sorcerers get a special mention if they happen to have subtle spell and some spell that will help in a social situation. However, they have very limited spell selection so it is a significant sacrifice for a sorcerer to take a spell specifically to support social interactions. However, a divine soul with the guidance cantrip would likely be able to cast it without being noticed which would help their skill check directly.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2020-01-17 at 10:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

If you decide to go Warlock, Archfey is the best "face" patron. Most of their patron-granted abilities are charm-related. (Fey Presence, Beguiling Defenses, Dark Delerium) Their expanded spell list, not so much.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Like Bardic Inspiration, Guidance also cannot be used on yourself. And use of Guidance for social skills can be a bit tricky anyway, since it usually means that the person your socializing sees the party casting a spell, which might be perceived as threatening.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Like Bardic Inspiration, Guidance also cannot be used on yourself. And use of Guidance for social skills can be a bit tricky anyway, since it usually means that the person your socializing sees the party casting a spell, which might be perceived as threatening.
    1) Unlike bardic inspiration which states "one creature other than yourself", Guidance says "You touch one willing creature.".

Unless you are either unwilling or not a creature then you can certainly cast guidance on yourself.

2) Guidance has only V,S components for casting.

Subtle meta-magic: "When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to east it without any somatic or verbal components."

Any sorcerer with both Guidance and subtle metamagic (e.g. divine soul) can cast Guidance with absolutely no indication that they have done so ... in this circumstance, a sorcerer can use guidance without any repercussions in any social situation by expending a sorcery point if they so wish.

From a skills perspective, a sorcerer with guidance, subtle and a level in rogue for expertise in social skills would likely edge out the bard in terms of the having the highest self-buffed skill modifier usable in a social encounter.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're looking at Warlock, do not be fooled by the fact that they don't have Deception or Persuasion on their skill list. They can pick up the Beguiling Influence invocation, which gives them proficiency in both of those skills.

You'd still have to rely on a Background or whatever to get proficiency in Insight, though.

---

Also, depending on your campaign, you might have to make use of Performance as well.

Since that's a lot in the way of proficiencies, it might be a good idea to split them between party members (especially if you're in a less fight-y campaign). Really, you can get away with only having one out of the three "main" skills (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) if you have someone else covering them in the party. Just make sure that all of the relevant people in the party have Insight, and you're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    If you decide to go Warlock, Archfey is the best "face" patron. Most of their patron-granted abilities are charm-related. (Fey Presence, Beguiling Defenses, Dark Delerium) Their expanded spell list, not so much.
    I think Grand Old One is a better choice, since you can use telepathy to communicate with every person you meet regardless of languages. And later you get immunity to mind-reading, which protects you against all supernatural abilities to uncover your Deceptions.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lore Bards
    All the bardic goodness, and can also use cutting words to hamper the mark"s insight and perception checks.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Best one is Bard. IF the DM rules that it is not possible to have hidden or disguised casting outside of the Subtle Spell metamagic, AND has a world where casting spells is usually considered an hostile action, 3 levels of sorcerer for it might be advisable, but all the other things that the Bard brings (extra skills, more known spells, expertise, cutting words/enthralling performance/words of terror) still make the Bard a generally better choice. Expertise in persuasion/deception+cutting words has a better chance of success than pretty much any spell, though its effects are more up to the DM. If you want to really be undetectable to magic, Nystul's Magical Aura as a level 6 Lore Bard magical secrets is an interesting choice. If you have a month of downtime, you can have a permanent non-magical aura, not only on you, but on your entire party and some more relevant objects. If your DM is ok with hidden/disguised casting, this can be even better than the sorcerer's subtle spell under some circumstances.

Warlock, specially with the Disguise Self invocation, is also a good choice, but somewhat vulnerable to ways of detecting when a creature is magically affected, be it as simple as detect magic or as powerful as truesight. A disguise kit, though it takes longer, is actually a more safe way of disguising yourself than disguise self, specially if you have expertise in deception and the actor's feat. On that note, a Cha focused Rogue, like the swashbuckler, is also a solid choice, since they don't need any magic to be good at it.

In general, it is not a good idea to be too reliant on magic to accomplish your social goals, it is somewhat easily countered and DMs will find a way to do that.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2020-01-20 at 08:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, sorcerers can use Subtle Spell to make Guidance imperceptible, and in that case there's no problem using it with social skills. I was speaking in general, not for that one specific caster.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    I tend to think the Bard is good at this, but I’m just looking who may have the most utility as the face of the group? Be it for spells or just simple modifiers? What do y’all think?
    It has to be bard, because if you think about, the other charisma classes "should" have associated flaws.

Talking to a paladin is like talking to your principal, or police officer pulling you over.

Warlocks feel "not" of this world.

Sorcerers are probably scary.

I want to talk to the bard, he/she seems nice.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    It has to be bard, because if you think about, the other charisma classes "should" have associated flaws.

Talking to a paladin is like talking to your principal, or police officer pulling you over.

Warlocks feel "not" of this world.

Sorcerers are probably scary.

I want to talk to the bard, he/she seems nice.
    Im probably the biggest bard fan you are going to find, but I've got to disagree here. How people in general feel about high cha characters is how those characters WANT people to feel. If they want to appear scary, they will. If they want to appear open and approachable, they will.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Swashbuckler with its at-will nonmagical charm effect is almost offensively good at being a face, even considering that it uses charisma as a secondary stat and not a primary one. Take rogue expertise in your social skill of choice and you're going to do just fine.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    Bard. Bard it hard.

Although, there are a few dips into other classes that can allow you to further stack Persuasion/Deception checks in your favor. Divine Soul Sorcerer can get the Guidance cantrip, or a Fey Warlock can use their charm/fear ability, not to mention forcing disadvantage on your opponent's roll with Hex.

Specter's Social God Guide is pretty comprehensive for this role.
    This was perfect and I shall be shouting this from the rooftops :)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    But is any one of them better for passing persuasion/deception checks? Like spell wise? I don’t usually play a caster.
    Bard is the only explicitly Charisma-based class that automatically gets Expertise, and its native spell list is biased toward illusion and enchantment, which are directly applicable. So, purely from that standpoint, Bard is the face class: natural inclination, more skills, Expertise, and (full caster) spell support. They also get more skills than other classes (minimum 1, potentially four more for Lore).

Sorcerer can pick up Subtle Spell, which is somewhat unique, potentially shielding them from detection when casting an enchantment or illusion--depending on DM, this may be huge for casting such spells as they may become untraceable (e.g. you may know you were enchanted, but you might not know that the person you spoke to did it to you). However, as noted, this is HEAVILY DM-dependent.

Warlock doesn't really do anything special to be stronger at face-related skills. They get a special note, however, because they have an Invocation that grants both Deception and Persuasion--one of the rare ways to pick up extra skills post-character-generation that doesn't require a feat. In a certain sense, their boosted spell slots might count as an advantage, but I'd say it's about equal advantage and disadvantage. Notable flaw: the class lacks Persuasion by default, so it needs that invocation or a background in order to get that.

As noted, some Paladin oaths get some useful benefits for a face character, so they kind of get an honorable mention (no pun intended). They'll be good at face stuff because Charisma is good for them anyway, and they get Insight, Intimidation, and Persuasion as class skills so they don't need a background to be good at this sort of thing. However, they don't really get much in the way of spell support (command, zone of truth, and geas are really the only ones, apart from Oath spells that I'm not going to try to check), nor do they get any more skills than other classes. I'd call this the weakest of the Cha-based classes if your goal is specifically to play a face. It's not a bad choice by any means, especially if you go Redemption.

Rogues obviously get an honorable mention because, although they aren't really Cha-based, they get plenty of Expertise, and Arcane Tricksters get illusions and enchantments. Again, not quite the ideal conflux that Bard is, but not bad.

Probably the ur-face would be some kind of multiclass Bard/Sorcerer. You'd lose out on max-level spells, but the combination of tons of skills and Subtle Spell enchantments/illusions is pretty much incomparable. If there were some way to get sorcery points and Subtle Spell on a plain Bard, that would hands-down be the best Face in the game, no question.

Edit:
    As noted, the Swashbuckler gets Cha-based features, though obviously it gets no spells. It's probably closer to Warlock than AT Rogues, but not a lot closer.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-01-22 at 10:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Warlock doesn't really do anything special to be stronger at face-related skills. They get a special note, however, because they have an Invocation that grants both Deception and Persuasion--one of the rare ways to pick up extra skills post-character-generation that doesn't require a feat. In a certain sense, their boosted spell slots might count as an advantage, but I'd say it's about equal advantage and disadvantage. Notable flaw: the class lacks Persuasion by default, so it needs that invocation or a background in order to get that.
    One shouldn't underestimate the potential face power of a Warlock.

A GOO warlock has telepathy, which allows him to communicate with any creature (that speaks at least 1 language); social skills are useless when you cannot talk to people, so non-telepaths have to learn many languages, whereas the telepathic warlock does not need to do so.

GOO warlocks also receive a free Mind Blank, protecting them against mind-reading and thereby foiling supernatural means to uncover your motives/deceptions. And the capstone allows such a warlock to turn a humanoid into a charmed thrall with no saving throw.

Warlocks with the Chain Pact also have access to the Sprite familiar with its Heart Sight ability, that allows the Sprite to read the emotions of any creature; again, there's no saving throw against this ability. The Sprite can also uncover the alignment of any creature if the creature fails a saving throw (fiends, undead, celestials automatically fail).

These skills make warlocks powerful face characters as well, especially their Deception skills are unmatched with free Disguise Self & Alter Self spell invocations.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm going to break down the classes into different tiers, more or less, and provide a brief description why. This is mostly from what I've seen in games, and due to class abilities. Also, this list does not take into account anything gained from Multiclassing, Feats, Race, or Background. If I did take those into account every class except Bard and Rogue would be tied simply because you can make a party face out of any class with the right combination of the four listed things.

Also, I know this is standard terminology...but you never know. There might be a new guy here:

SAD stands for Single Ability Score Dependent, it basically means the class only really needs to max out a single ability. Obviously all classes benefit from a high Con and high Dex, but they aren't really required for the class to function at its peak.

MAD stands for Multiple Ability Score Dependent. Basically they're classes that need two or more ability scores to be at, or near, the max in order to really function. You usually find hybrid caster classes here, like Paladins or Rangers.

---S Rank: This is the Best of the Best---

Spoiler: Rogue
    Show

First off, the Rogue has Expertise right off the bat at level 1. This means you can have a +7 to one of your charisma skills at level 1. They also gain a total of four skills, and have access to Deception, Persuasion, and Intimidation as class skills. Usually a party face wants at Deception and either Intimidation or Persuasion, which leaves you with two more skills to choose from.

Next, Rogues are surprisingly SAD, they really only need Dexterity for their attacks and AC This means you can easily create a Dex/Cha Rogue, or Dex/Int, Dex/Wis, ect., all without becoming too MAD.

Finally, at level 10 Rogues really rise to the top with Reliable Talent. At this point they blow every other class out of the water at every skill they're proficient with. Given a level 10 Rogue that maxed out Charisma and has Expertise in Persuasion, you'd be looking at a party face that literally can't roll below a 23 Persuasion check.

Also, while some Subclasses can make a class better at being the Party Face, the Swashbuckler gains a special note here because of Panache. At level 9, you can use your action to make a Charisma (Persuasion) check that is contested by a Wisdom (Insight) check against any being you can speak to. The only restrictions are that the target must be able to hear you, and must share a language with you.

If the target is initially hostile to you and fail the Insight check, they have disadvantage against targets other than you, and can't make attacks of opportunity against anyone other than you. This effect lasts for 1 minute, or until one of your allies attacks the target, or if you move 60ft away.

If the target isn't initially hostile towards you, they become Charmed and regard you as a friendly acquaintance for one minute. This effect ends if you or an ally harm that person.

The reason I call out Panache as a special case is that it only takes an action to use, and has no limitations on its usage outside of needing to be able to speak to the target. You can use Panache as much as you like, including on targets already affected by Panache. Meaning if you use Panache on a non-hostile target, then you can keep them charmed indefinitely by using Panache once every minute. And to top it off, one level after you get Panache, you gain Reliable Talent, which sets 23 as the minimum for your Persuasion Check.

---A Rank: These are the classes that have something special going for them. They're not quite as good as the S Rank, but they're still hard to beat as a party face---

Spoiler: Bard
    Show

The Bard has a couple of things going for it, though I feel they're not quite as powerful as Reliable Talent and Panache. First, its another SAD class that really only relies on Charisma. Its even more SAD then the Rogue, since Charisma is their spell casting ability. Next, they choose three skills of their choice to be proficient in, with Lore Bard adding another three skill proficencies.

Next, they also gain Expertise like the Rogue, though they gain it at level 3 instead of level 1. Meaning at levels 3 through 9, a Bard is just as good at making a Charisma check as a Rogue, and they have more incentive to max out Charisma by level 8 then a Rogue does.

They also have spell casting, with spells that focus on charming and enchanting others, as well as communication.

And finally, a special mention goes out to College of Glamour and College of Whispers. Both classes have some very impressive abilities that lend to being a Party Face. I wouldn't call them as good as Panache, since they require a full minute of you performing while Panache is just a single action that you can repeat as many times as you want, but they're both very impressive. Especially the College of Glamour.

----B Rank: These are classes that have a slight edge over most classes, but lack certain abilities that the A and S Ranks have to really go over the top---

Spoiler: Sorcerer
    Show

The Sorcerer is yet another SAD class that relies purely on Charisma. They only get two skills, but Persuasion and Deception are on that list. However, they lack Expertise, which means their Persuasion bonus will never really get as high as that of the Rogue or the Bard, and as the proficiency bonus grows larger the gap between them all only widens further.

However, not all is lost. Like the Bard, the Sorcerer is a full caster that gains most of the same social spells the Bard has, with one or two small exceptions. They also have access to Subtle Spell, which makes it easier for them to enchant others without being noticed.

Spoiler: Warlock
    Show

The warlock is a bit odd with how it goes about being a party face. First, like the Sorcerer it is a SAD class that only really uses Charisma. However, it only gains two skills, and persuasion is not on that skill list. But to make up for it, Warlocks can take an invocation that gives them Persuasion and Deception, and have access to invocations that give At Will spells like Disguise Self or Speak with Animals.

Great Old One Warlocks also get to ignore language barriers, since Awakened Mind lets them telepathically speak to anyone with a language within 30 feet of them that they can see, while Archfey Warlocks can Charm everyone in a 10ft cube of them for a single round.

---C Rank: This is for the classes that can gain a Party Face skill, but lack any sort of special support for it---

Spoiler: Paladin
    Show

The Paladin really only has two things going for it. First, it gains two skills, one of which can be Persuasion or Intimidation. Second, while the Paladin is somewhat more MAD then the previous classes, it does have Charisma as a secondary Ability score, and players would do well to boost Charisma. Outside of that, the only real thing that makes them stand out is the Redemption Subclass, which grants one Channel Divinity that can be used to add +5 to persuasion checks for 10 minutes and access to Calm Emotions, which can be highly useful to a Party Face.

Spoiler: Cleric
    Show

Like the Paladin, Clerics only gain two skills, and all Clerics have access to Persuasion, while Order Clerics can take Persuasion or Intimidation as a bonus proficiency. The Cleric's only real edge over the Paladin is that they have access to Calm Emotions and they're a bit more SAD then the Paladin, which frees up ASIs for Charisma. But outside of that, none of their class abilities lend towards being a better Party Face

Spoiler: Fighter
    Show

The final class that has access to a party face skill without much support, the Fighter can take two skills, one of which can be Intimidation. That said, the Cavalier and Samurai subclasses do give one the option to have proficiency in the Persuasion skill. Fighters do gain two advantages over the Cleric and Paladin when it comes to being the Party Face. First, they gain more ASIs then the Paladin or Cleric, meaning it is easier to make out their Charisma, and second the Samurai gains a 7th level ability to add their Wisdom modifier to their Persuasion checks.

However, outside of that, they lack any major abilities that make them stand out.

---D Rank: These are classes that could be C Rank, but lack any Party Face skills---

Spoiler: Druid
    Show

Possibly the most SAD class in the game. This class literally only needs Wisdom, especially if you play a Moon Druid who uses Wild Shape to replace all of your physical ability scores. This allows one to max out Charisma with ease if they wish. The biggest downside is the fact that the Druid doesn't have access to Persuasion, Deception, or even Intimidation.

Spoiler: Wizard
    Show

Just slightly more MAD then the Druid, since you actually have to use your own Dexterity and Constitution scores. But even then, the wizard is a very SAD class, making it very easy to max out their main casting stat and then focus on Charisma. However, as near as I can find, there are no Wizard subclasses that give access to Persuasion, Intimidation, or Deception. As such, Wizards are stuck with using just their Charisma modifiers, like the Druids are.

---F Rank: This class lack Party Face skills, and is a bit too MAD to focus on Charisma---

Spoiler: Ranger
    Show

The best of the worst in this case. Rangers requires Wisdom and Dexterity in order to function well since their attacks often use Dex, and their spell casting is based off of Wisdom. Mix that with the standard five ASI increases, and the best you're looking at is max Wisdom, max Dexterity, and a +2 to Charisma for your final ability scores, provided you only focus on those. Add in the Ranger's lack of any Party Face skills, and you end up with a class that really isn't made for being a Party Face

---Monk and Barbarian---

These two classes get to share a very special place below every other class. The reason for that is because with the right mixture of Feats, Racial abilities, and Background choices, almost all of the above classes can be increased by at one rank. The Warlock and Sorcerer can easily be on par with the Bard if they're a Half-Elf with Prodigy for Expertise and a custom Background. Even the Ranger can be lifted to equal footing with a standard Party Face, no feats taken Paladin with Expertise and +0 Charisma. And they can get close to Bard levels if they have even a 16 in Charisma, rocking a respectable +15 to Persuasion at level 20.

However, the Barbarian and Monk simply can't do that. Both of these classes are way, way too MAD, and don't get enough ASIs to risk putting a +2 into Charisma. Sure, the Barbarian does, technically, get Intimidation as one of the skills they can choose, but Barbarians will want to max out their Strength and Constitution, while getting at least an 18 in Dexterity. Especially since their Strength and Con can be boosted to 24 at level 20, meaning they can have a 24 AC if with 20 Dex, 24 Con, and a Shield, or 23 with 18 Dex, 24 Con, and a Shield. Monks are in the same boat, they need to max out Dex and Wisdom, and do well with a bit of extra Constitution in order to tank some blows since their AC tops out at 20.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2020-01-23 at 05:02 AM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D