New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Chance

1. - Top - End - #571
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A New Chance

Professor Dark aka Paragon

Ensconced in the dry heat of his office on the second floor of the Fermi building, Professor Lachlan Dark brooded.

There was no measure of humanity which now applied to him. In every sense he had moved beyond the mortal and was now something for which no appropriate human word existed that was not drowned in myth. Titan, djinn, demon....

If by some magic this has all transpired a few thousand years earlier his immortal coutenance would be stamped onto all the currencies of the world. An eternal god-emperor ruling over the ant-like race of man. But not even Dark had the liberty of chosing the world into which he was born or the circumstances of his assent.

And so he was a professor in an age of nuclear weapons, at the dawning of space exploration, when being handy with a sword simply didn't cut it and solving universal mysteries got you half an hour on Larry King and the lead story in British broadsheet newspapers for one day.

He had always wondered, in the comic book stories he had read as a boy, why it was that so many people were determined to blow up cities. At what point did being a cackling master criminal become a viable career choice for these people? There was simply no logic behind it. Still, Dark had to admire the kind of tenacity that brought these beard-stroking loons back again and again to court destruction and defeat.

But what were his ambitions? He had already advanced as far in his career as was possible. Would he spend the next twenty years teaching until it became too obvious that his face had not aged and then would he vanish... and do what? And in any case it was only a matter of time before he ran into some academic who knew him from MIT; they would immediately see he was changed. Or he would make some discovery and his picture would appear somewhere, an unimaginative reporter would find his high school year book.

Anonymity was not practical. Eventually, unavoidably, his super powers would be known. He could not keep that secret.

So whatever his ambitions were, he would have to pursue them publicly.

He pressed the speakerphone button and dialed the number he found online. After a few rings someone answered.

"Good afternoon," he replied. "My name is Professor Lachlan Dark, I'm Head of Applied Mechanics at The Randoph Insitute of Technology. I am an unregistered mutant and I would like to be interviewed live by a member of your evening news team. I have a lot to say and I have exclusive details about the explosion in Rainport today which are not known by the police... Of course I'll hold, I'll give you 30 seconds before I look for Larry King's number".

2. - Top - End - #572
    Barbarian in the Playground

[[Was it? I'll have to go back and take a look. I think it's been Andrew.]]

Andrew/Vox Populi

"Gentlemen, I've always had Rainport's interests at my heart," Sellars says, looking around the table. "I may not be able to fly, or breathe fire, or any of that sort of thing, but I love this city. I'd like to be...not so much a tactical leader as a go-between...that protective shell of plausible deniability we all love so much." Sellars folds his hands and looks around the table. "If you would have me, I would prefer to use some kind of...false identity, of course. And this would have to be somewhat...under the table."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Andrew is going to try to get himself appointed to assemble the team, and if the guys at the meeting won't take him, he'll try and use telepathy or his charismatic aura to persuade 'em.

Diplomacy roll, if you want it:
    (1d20+9)[15]
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Natasha

Without an alarm to wake her... and after a remarkably good night, Tasha slept fairly well. It was as if a weight was taken off of her, and it wasn't until a pressing need to use the bathroom woke her, that she felt the need to leave her nice comfy bed.

Getting up and swinging her legs over the side of the bed... she saw Draven through bleary eyes, just one bed over. None of it had been a dream. All the insane and bizarre things that had happened last night had really happened. She briefly mused over the idea of looking in on whatever dream he might be having, but decided against it. The boy deserved his privacy... and she was going to stay out of his head until he asked her otherwise.

Instead, she rose and ventured off to use the bathroom and clean herself up a bit. Without a hair or toothbrush, she still felt a little grungy... but a nice warm shower was just what she needed. Luckily, the place had shampoo... and enough for her impressive length of hair. That made her feel considerably better, despite having to climb back into the same clothes as last night. When she stepped out of the shower, she heard Draven up and about in the main room. She dried off as best she could, and wrapped a towel around herself. She usually threw one around her hair... but at the moment, she had only one, and that would mean walking out to collect her clothes from by the desk entirely in the nude... and even she wasn't that big of a tease.

Good morning. She said, slipping over to the desk and doing her best to collect her clothes without flashing anything. Give me just a second.

With that, she slipped back off into the bathroom to change... re-emerging with her hair bound back in a long, wet pony-tail and her club outfit from last night on again. She sat down on her bed, and smiled... as she began to pull on her boots.

I don't know if you had anything planned... but I need to get back to my dorm eventually to finish a paper. Apparently the dawn of a new age of man isn't quite enough for them to call of my political science class. She said with a soft laugh. You're welcome to come by if you like.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nosferatu

Nosferatu wanders about, doing a loose circuit of the cage. It does not seem the sturdiest, but then again, the wall of light is whats meant to be keeping him in. Well, at least stop him from escaping while the surrounding army staff fire round after round into his shadowy body.

It is not a pleasant thought.

The path takes him to the far side of the hangar, from which he can see the other two mutates going to town on the tarmac. A mental note is made to offer to help when this meeting with the mayor was over. At least one of the supers looks across to see Nosferatu. It almost looks like he is about to say something, but gets caught up in the pattern of work with his partner. Well, if using their powers is as tiring as flight, they would have to stop eventually. The various altered would have a chance to chat then and hopefully there would not be any trouble when they saw the Reaper was here.

Slinking away from the entrance, Nosferatu returns to the cage. Looking it over, a thought springs to mind.

"Hmm. Reaper, I heard you got out of a smiliar cell before. How did you manage that?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    geez3r, is the mayor going to have to finish in the other posts before coming here, or can he 'be in two places at once' due to the time distortion in forum posting? I guess me and Pulse will be waiting in the base for him to arrive.
    Anyway, Nosferatu is talking to Reaper at the moment, but will go introduce himself to the other mutates if he hears the construction die off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

5. - Top - End - #575

The Reaper pauses for a moment at the unpleasant memory, then says, "The good doctor Fritz broke me out, and then vanished herself, using some form of teleportation power. I would rather have stayed if I could have kept her there. I looked into her eyes and I saw the eyes of a killer, the eyes that had stared back at me from the mirror all my life. I fear what she might do if she remains free. I want you to promise me that if the mayor decides I am to be imprisoned or executed, you will bring her to justice. I would not die knowing that she was still loose in the world."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse turns when he hears Reaper, "This Dr. Fritz let you go?" He frowns, "Interesting..."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #577

Nosferatu

"So she broke you out... and you think she is a killer based on the 'look in her eye'. I am familiar with the playground laws of "takes one to know one", but are you completely sure about that? But I guess it would be worth keeping an eye out for her, seeing as she broke a super powered murderer out of his cell and all.

Pulse, where do you know this Dr Fritz? And any idea what she looks like?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    By all means, just say '...describes Dr Fritz' if you want to avoid long blocks of text. Just trying to gather info IC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

8. - Top - End - #578

The Reaper say simply, "Yes. I know." He tries without success to suppress the memory of her soulless eyes. Finally, after a moment's silence, he whispers, "I know."

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse shrugs, "I've never met her, but Reaper has met her, naturally... what does she look like?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. - Top - End - #580

The Reaper describes Fritz.

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse shakes his head, "It's nobody I know... If she teleported, she must have been affected by the explosion and perhaps was changed by it." He frowns, "There are a lot of nasty ways that a teleporter could kill by stealth."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #582

Nosferatu

"I will keep an eye out for her. Of course, if she can teleport on command, I doubt there is much I could do unless I caught her by surprise. I wonder what kind of teleportation it is. Could range from line of sight to anywhere around the globe..."

Nosferatu gives just a minor glance around the hangar, just in case.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

Draven/Oblivion

He was there, and they were together. Holding each other, her smooth dark hair under his fingers. They embraced, in the dimly lit room. Then behind him, the door swung open with a bang.

Over his shoulder, she saw who it was, and her body stiffened against him in mortal fear.

"I knew you'd come back", he heard that familiar dry ugly voice say from the shadows where her gaze was locked.

He swung around, but saw only yawning darkness where the door should have been.

It swallowed him whole.

He sat up violently in bed, cold sweat beaded on his brow, a howl of futile protest choked off in his throat. For a moment, he imagined the darkness had somehow followed him out of his dream, lingering in the air around him like tattered storm clouds, but when he looked again, he saw nothing there.

He got up quickly, dressing hurriedly, fragments of the dream still haunting him as he tried to organize his thoughts and decide how he wished to proceed.

As Tasha emerged from the bathroom just as he finished buckling his belt, giving him a quick greeting, he was almost caught by suprise, being so distracted. He did his best to give her a wide berth, doing his best to prevent accidental contact.

"A good morning to you as well" he managed distractedly.

How gorgeous she was despite being entirely unmade up did not escape his notice, as he tried unsuccessfully to not stare at her glistening skin and long dark hair...so reminiscent of hers.
    He busied himself with buttoning his shirt, pulling on his gloves with some resignation.

That's as good a place to start as any. Perhaps with some research I may discover a way to control this...

By the time she had remerged from the bathroom, he was sitting crosslegged on the end of his bed, his his chin resting in his palm, staring a hole through the floor as he sat lost in thought.

He barely noticed that she'd returned, until she started talking to him, putting her boots on as she did so, her creamy white legs dissapearing into encasing black leather, the feeling of which, being entirely new, drawing him out of his revere soon enough to catch the last part of her friendly banter.

His brow furrowed a moment, as if in consideration, a thoughtful "Hmmmmm" punctuating the expression.

Then, looking up, his eyes sparkling with humor he said "My visiting you is inevitable, it's just a matter of when. So, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves." smirking sarcastically he continued "then, maybe when we get back to my car, you can give me the directions to your dorm...and I'll actually be able to write them down".

Taking her had to help her off the bed he said, "Now grab your coat and bag so we can be off. How does a cab ride back to the club sound?"

Walking out of the room, he slid into his coat and held the door for Tasha expectantly.
    Last edited by Thrall_Of_Ao; 2007-12-17 at 12:37 AM.
    EDIT: New job, irregular schedule. Sporadic posting. Please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives."
    For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

Awesome Avatar Actualized by KPenguin!

14. - Top - End - #584

Jason

"Uh.. what? How in the world did you get here so fast? Never mind..." he replied quickly. "Where am I going, you ask? Huh..." Jason's mind drew a blank for about half a second. "Out. I gotta leave. I gotta think. And I'm definatly not gonna stay here and have a bunch of people try and tell me how to live my life, ok? So why don't you and your little friends and those freaks just butt out, alright?" He sighed and looked away, that same strange feeling coming to him from her. His eyes moved curiously at the building across the street, looking inside each room. He wished he could just escape into each one, get back to his own thoughts and away.

Summary: Conversation and roleplaying a low charisma! Yay!
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2007-12-17 at 03:05 AM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Natasha

Part One: the farewell

For Draven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glazing over a bit, so that we can get caught up with the going's on. If you have anything you wanted to do or say before I split off for a bit, we can backpedal a bit.

Passing up the chance for breakfast before she left... Tasha took a cab back to the club with Draven, as he suggested. Rooting through her car for a bit, she came up with a notepad and pen, and jotted down her cell number and how to find her dorm. # 113 in Harris Hall.

I'm sorry I can't stay around longer... but I need to get this thing finished... and it will give me time to think. She said to him, taking his gloved hand and pressing the paper into it. Call me whenever you like, alright? And maybe you can come by later tonight?

She stood awkwardly for a moment, looking at him intently.

This should be the part where I kiss him... She thought to herself, All last night too, actually...

She sighed softly under her breath, and instead slipped in and slid her arms around him... careful to keep to the parts of him covered by his coat. She leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes for a moment. This was as close as she could get to him... and she was sure he knew it.

Be careful... alright? I've still got a bad feeling about this whole thing. Don't let anyone else know what you are, alright? I'm worried.... She pulled back and gave him one last deep, meaningful look before she slipped into her car and headed home.

---------------------------------

Part Two: Awwwkward...

Tasha cursed under her breath at her door... She jiggled her keys in the lock, finally getting the stupid thing unstuck, and headed inside.

Hey Tash. Said a familiar blonde girl, looking up from a bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Hey Heather. You're home early. How did things go with your mom?

She's alright. I left at like, ten... She said she didn't want me missing school just to be with her. Heather paused for a moment, before smiling and looking over Tasha's choice of wardrobe, So... You're dressed up. You weren't home last night... And are those your @#$%-me boots?

Oh shut up. Tasha said with a laugh, and slipped into a chair of her own... discarding her coat over the back of it, and started brushing out her long hair. It's actually not what you think for once.

No? Were you at the library all night or something?

No. I was out with a guy.

A throw pillow flew at her head.

But nothing happened! I'm serious! She said in protest, a smile across her face.

Uh huh... Sure. Heather gave her a sarcastic look and put her cereal aside. Nothing happened with... who?

Whom. Nothing happened with whom.

You know what I mean!

Tasha laughed at her light-heartedly, You know him... Draven... something or other. You know... the guy who tutored you last semester.

Draven?! I thought you didn't like rich boys! She said, looking equal parts shocked and confused.

I don't like SPOILED rich boys. He's nice. I invited him over later tonight.

Oh... She said, and perhaps a bit too quickly, changed the subject, Well... um. There's an assmebly going on at noon about the whole chemical mutant... thing. I'm going. I heard that there might be a mutant who goes to our school!

Do you think? Tasha said, trying hard to conceal her concern.

Yeah. I mean... the school is pretty big, and it's on the same side of town as the place that blew up... There has to be at least one.... right? It's creepy.

Yeah... creepy. You could be talking to one and not even know. She said, looking away to the small mirror on her dresser...

I know! It's crazy! Heather said, pulling on her shoes. I'm going to go and meet Nick and Jen. Want to come?

No. Thanks, but I have to get that paper finished. I'll meet you at the assembly.

Alright well... I'll see you later then! Heather said, pulling on her coat and hat and headed out... leaving Tasha alone.

She seems alright... I thought she'd be more upset about the thing with Draven... So why do I feel like something horrible is about to happen? She thought to herself, and then settled down to write her paper.

---------------------

Part Three: The Last Domino Falls

The assembly was a huge waste of time. Nothing but an hour of the Dean talking about how the school would stay open and how anyone who was at the blast, or knew someone who was at the blast, should come forward and cooperate with the police immediately. Fat freaking chance!

Afterwards, she went to lunch with Heather, Nick and Jen... and the commons were again filled with two dozen televisions all tuned to the news coverage of the "mutant issue". She didn't pay much attention, listening to her ipod and focusing mostly on her grilled cheese, until....

Check it out! A bunch of mutants are at a fire across town! Someone yelled a few tables over, Channel eleven!

Nick nudged her until she finally took out her earphones and listened. There was a camera-crew outside of the building, where it looked like a VERY large fire had broken out.

This is the scene at midtown today, where we can clearly see at least three... No wait! A fourth is arriving on the scene as we speak! the obviously harried reporter looked up into the sky, where a clap of thunder drowned out her voice for a moment, and a crackling figure in a black bodysuit with some sort of lightning pattern hovered down from above. A more amazing thing i have never seen!

The new mutant joined the others in the rescue attempt... while the reporters struggled to get a good view, held back by a score of the police force. They eventually gave up and went to speak with a young girl and her family outside the police line.

Superman saved me! She exclaimed in response to the reporters questions, and pointed up into the sky, Then he went back to help Miss Wentin... cause she's in wheelchair and she can't get away.

The story becomes more and more insane from that point on, as mutants of all ages and various bizarre costumes move about the flaming building pulling people to safety. One on a strange metal glider glides unsteadily to the ground, coughing and looking ill. One in white robes drifted in a window, and within moments, the fire was blown out of said window... leaving only smoking remains in part of the building. It was madness.

Maybe this isn't so bad. If there are so many of us... and people are doing good things with all their powers... well... Maybe this won't be so bad.

Then, it all came crumbling down. With a blast that knocked the cameraman to the ground... the building went up like a roman candle. The yells and screams could not be heard over the sound of the explosion... or the collapse.

Get up! Get up! Are you alright? The reporter could be barely heard over the sound of the collapsing building, and she was screaming. Finally, the cameraman got up, or rather, pointed the camera up, just in time to see the building come tumbling to the ground in a pile of rubble... spreading ash and smoke that made it hard to see.

What the hell happened?

A bevy of voices filled the room, but she stayed silent. Tasha already knew. Something horrible had happened... and there was nothing she could do about it... The rest of the report was a blur.

The police have no comment... but the blast was not one that could have been an accident. It was too perfect... At a level that only a demolition team could manage. What does this mean for Rainport?

That's what I'd like to know...
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2007-12-17 at 01:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Orc in the Playground

Draven/Oblivion

The return trip back to the club was pleasant enough, chatting and flirting back and forth, and sharing a few comfortable silences in between, as they shared the back of the cab.

Draven watched as subtly as possible as Tasha bent over to search through her glove box for a piece of paper, her skirt riding up more than he imagined she realized.

As she pressed the note into his hand, and she looked at him awkwardly, it occured to him that she was probably hungry, having not had anything to eat since the night before.

"I'll make a point of calling you tonight Natasha, and don't worry, your secret, as well as mine, will remain just that. There's a lot we still have to discuss..."

He accepted her hug, noting the pause and the way in which she executed it, stroking her hair and noting the careful way in which he held her, subconsciously knowing the merest slip might...might what?

He consentrated, and savored the moment, trying not to think about the strong similarites this moment held to...her and that particular night.

I'm stronger now than back then. But I know that I can't protect her all the time. To top it off, she's worried about me. How ironic is that? he thought to himself, listening to Tasha's warning with some amusement, but doing well to keep it off his face.

"Don't worry about me, you take care of yourself ok?" as she looked at him meaningfully, he nodded, and with a brief smile turned and walked off in the direction of his vehicle.

As he drove, he considered his options, deciding upon a course of action after a few moments thought.

Stopping by his apartment, he walked in, noting that everything was as he left it the day before.

I'm going to have to relocate soon, or at the very least, find a secondary location in case things get complicated. Preferably an unlisted address...hmmm, this is going to require some research.

Changing into a black fitted tank-top, matching dark grey cargo pants and bomber jacket, all of designer quality and design.

I'm going to run out of things that go with these gloves sooner or later. I'll have to figure out some way of dealing.
    So, unless there happens to be a designer in town willing to do piece work, I just might have to outsource a project. Luckily, I have a little put away that should cover it.

Moving to his night stand, he picked up his medicine bag thoughtfully, putting it on and looking in the mirror.

He saw nothing but darkness.

Startled, he took a step backwards, staring in confusion for a moment before realization dawned on him.

What the..oh, right, how could I have forgotten so quickly? Almost like it's becoming second nature...almost.

He walked over to the wall, flipped a switch and illuminated the room.

As much as I love the snug cozy feeling these cold dank basement apartments give me, it's a little creepy how dark they are, even during the day.Although, I guess that's not going to be much of an issue anymore. It's not like I ever really had to worry about color coordination...

Cinching the leather thong so it hung like a choker, proudly, around his neck, he left, locking the door securly behind him, getting into his car and heading towards the blast zone.

Class work will have to wait, first thing I need to do is some serious research on my...condition...and I know just where to start. I hope they haven't expanded the quarantine zone.

He headed towards the book store, driving carefully but with purpose, taking back streets, but remained vigilant for anyone or anything out of the ordinary.

If any place in this entire town has any useful information about the changes that I've undergone, I'll find it there. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to have the store open for a few hours today before I go back out later this evening.

For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

17. - Top - End - #587
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Alex felt a little remorse that he hadn't done much but work and relax at home, but he had become a recluse since Greg had died, refusing social interaction to be with his thoughts and dreams. He knew Judy would try her best to entice him to relax and enjoy life more. He enjoyed life just fine, though.

Picking his stuff up, he headed back to Frank's in preparation for his meeting with "The Man." It should prove to be...interesting, to say the least. Only time would tell what could and would happen.

(Like I said, writer's block. If anyone sees him, feel free to react.)
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

18. - Top - End - #588
    Halfling in the Playground

“The Man”

He leaned up against the counter in a casual fashion. “We’ll have one veggie combo for my assistant, and I’ll have the works, but go easy on the onions. By the way, you wouldn’t have any regulars that have been affected by the blast would you? I’m looking to hire certain types of mutants for a bar that I am starting, and was wondering if you could give me any leads.”

Summary: Order lunch and gather info concerning possible mutants for hire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Info: (1d20+19)[10](29)

19. - Top - End - #589
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

RESERVED FOR DM USE

This will most likely be the last, or the second to last post of this year depending on how busy everyone is after the holidays. I got about 1/2 of the post done last night, but I was frankly too tired to finish it up, and I went to bed. This should be up sometime tonight, but before I do anything, I needs FOOD.

Pulse/Nosferatu/Reaper

Green and the other soldiers looks quite relieved when Reaper enters the cage. "We actually have the center light off, so he could stay in the cage without hurting him, the other lights are a kind of defense thing... sorta...." Green pulls out his watch "Ummm, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the Mayor will arrive in about 25 minutes, but I'm just guessing honestly." To Nosferatu he says "Yep those are electrified, do your best to not stand to close, they may very well kill you. That generator was the only we could find on short notice, and it's damn powerful."

As the rest of you wander about and converse with one another, Green talks to a few of the guards for a few minutes (if anyone cares to eavesdrop, you'll learn about Green's 4 year old daughter, Maria and who got KP duty for a week for mouthing off).

{I'll have the Mayor appear in the next post}

Kid Zeus

The rocker glares at you for a moment before he hangs his head saying "Damn" He plays a quiet and slow riff and descends to the ground saying "Sorry dude, I'll fix it." to the cop. When he lands, he walks over the to the car and fiddles with the strings and pick ups on his guitar. He puts his left foot up on the hood of the car and he starts playing this kind of up beat blues thing. For a moment, nothing happens, but then slowly but surely some of the glass shards from the window start wiggling, and ever so slowly raise off the road. The roof starts to uncrumple slowly and the bits of glass start to reform the windshields.

After about 30 seconds, the car is fully reformed as if had never been touched. The rocker takes his foot off the hood of the car and starts walking towards the cop. You notice that his left hand is pretty bloody and there is even blood on the neck of the guitar. He repositions his guitar so it's on his back and digs in his front pocket and pulls out a prescription bottle and takes a pill or two before redepositing the bottle in his pocket and stands with his arms folded in front of the cop. "What now?" To which the officer responds "This." and whacks the rocker upside the head with his night stick, knocking the rocker flat on his back. "You punks are all the same, just because you got some goop on ya, you think you're above the law. Well guess what freak show, you're not. You assaulted a police officer and your ass is gonna fry."

Legion

{A dozen shots going off accompanied by a shouted death threat, followed by another, louder gun shot right outside a bank in the dead of night is pretty much in the realm of "What the *bleep* is going on? Call the cops." Especially for the liquor store clerk who is just down the street and has already had a guard leave their post in the dead of night to buy a ton of booze {which they could barely carry (your STR penalty) even though you would think police officers would be a bit stronger than that}. Especially when the clerks know that the shift change is soon, because they always see the truck pass by on its way to the bank. In fact, the clerk saw it pass by just a few minutes ago, and now suddenly gunfire is ringing out from the general direction of the bank. And especially in a city that just suffered a massive chemical explosion where random people were given the ability to defy the very laws of nature and as such it's citizens are in a heightened state of awareness. Yeah, a few flags went up just there. The cops should be there in like 5 minutes. You've got this many shots left: 3d6+5=18}

Your rifle shot goes wide. The 3 guards outside the bank check the life signs of the guy the just shot, and finding him dead, slowly move into the bank. Of the 3 inside, one of the guards darts off to the security room, definitely not intending to turn all of the cameras on so he can find where everyone is and rely that info to his buddies. The second one takes the Drill's gun and heads off to help topside. The final guard torques your arm probably a little more than was necessary after you spit in his face {5 subdual damage} though he does look a little concerned for the well being of his friends. But as he pins you to the ground, there’s really not all that much you can do.

The original makes it back to the room with the hole in it okay, but he knows that at least 1 cop isn’t too far behind him. The only reason that they haven’t caught up to him yet is they’re afraid of getting shot at again. He get’s about halfway through the hole when a voice over the PA says There’s a hole in the west side of the building, he’s climbing out right now. He’s got a van in the parking lot.

Spoiler
    Show

grapple check (1d20+9=22) {guard}
    grapple check (1d20+1=13) (Legion)
    You know what, I’ll speed this up: grapple check (1d20+1=12, 1d20+1=15, 1d20+1=3, 1d20+1=3, 1d20+1=11) (Legion)
    grapple check (1d20+9=23, 1d20+9=11, 1d20+9=17, 1d20+9=12, 1d20+9=19) (Guard)
    From the rolls above, and with no outside interference, he’ll pin you for this round and the next, you manage to break his pin and go back to the grapple stage, but you’re unable to break out of the grapple and he pins you yet again, where you stay.

spot check (1d20+7=24) Guard 1 seeing if he can find you on the camera’s some where, which he can.

Murky

The guy falls to the ground holding his now bloody arm and spewing an impressive collection of curses and insults at you. What grabs your attention however, is the comossion heard from….. downstairs? If you had to guess what it was, it kind of sounded like a large heavy box falling from a good size height. The clerk on the floor chuckles softly before passing out.

Davan/ Joe/ Thug

Joe dices up the downed thug, and his partner simply stands there, too stunned to move, and Davan takes advantage and knocks the guy out cold.

Paragon

An obviously stunned receptionist immediately puts you on hold. You listen to delightfully quaint elevator music for 17 seconds, until you are transferred to an important sounding person. The voice on the other end of the line says ”Proffessor Dark, are you still there? Good. I’m Theodore Wallace, I own the channel 4 news station, and we would be most honored to have a person of your stature appear on our program. Tell me, what times and conditions would be most convient for you, such as who the interviewer is?” He sounds like a reasonable man… who just got the story of the century thrown into his lap.

Andrew/Vox Populi

The Mayor speaks first, “Mr. Sellars, I have great confidence in you, otherwise you would not be attending this meeting, please understand that. But a project this grand in scale, I believe is quite frankly out of your league. In order to run a project of this size, someone would need decades of experience before even being considered. Your heart is in the right place son, and I commend you for that, but this is one thing you can’t do.”

The Man

Bob stares at your for a moment, before shugging and getting to work on making the sammiches. Over his shoulder he says ”Yeah one of my buddies, Tiny, worked down by the docks and got a bit o’ that goop on ‘im. He’s a good guy, and knows a bunch a other good guys. He’s probably hangin’ round dock 7 or 8… or was it 23…? I ain’t so hot with the numbers. That’ll be $8.50.” He says bringing the completed sammiches up to the counter.

Jason

The nurse touches your shoulder comfortingly. "Listen, there isn't a soul in there that is going to tell you have to live your life. But out of everyone on this whole planet, the people who have the answers you want are in that building. If this is something you want to do by yourself, and you want to turn your back on this place, then go ahead and pick a direction and start walking." She takes her hand off your shoulder and starts walking past you, when she gets level with you she says "Just... just do yourself a favor and know what you're walking away from, alright?" She continues walking towards the hospital, not looking back at you.
    Last edited by geez3r; 2007-12-20 at 12:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse nods to Corporal Green and Reaper and the others. "I think this has gone fairly well. I'm sure the mayor will be a reasonable man, Reaper. You've done some heinous acts, but I think redemption is something we should all be allowed to strive for."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Kid Zeus

At that very moment when the cop was standing over the dazed rocker, threatening him like a lowdown thug after the guy had not only apologized, but fixed the car, there was a deafening crash of thunder. If the police officer had forgotten that the teenage superhero was still hovering in the air above them, he was now being loudly reminded. A lightning bolt split the sky and impacted the ground right at the officer's feet, turning the pavement into so much hot tar, and Kid Zeus descended until he was floating just over the guy's head.

"Officer, what in the hell do you think you're doing? You are supposed to be a model citizen, an example to the people you are here to serve and protect, and you attack an obviously repentant person who was not offering violence? Your talk about 'freaks' in my presence notwithstanding, you're dishonoring your badge." he said the last through gritted teeth while his eyes jumped with buzzing electricity, his pupils becoming lost in the display of energy. The officer's behavior was affecting him more than it would have because the memory of his father as a policeman was something he held in very high regard. To have a moron like this crapping all over the department's good reputation was embarrassing.

"Now, unless you want this man to decide that apologizing and cooperating with the law was a bad decision and going back to destroying your car, you will help him up and apologize profusely. Then, we can all agree that this incident never occurred. Am I clear?" he said in a tone that brooked no argument. It was almost humorous to see a teenage kid talking like a disappointed father figure or older brother to a policeman who was easily ten years his senior, but there was nothing funny about the way electricity zapped and jumped from his buzzing, dangerous aura to the metal of the police officer's car or the look on Kid Zeus's face as he spoke.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 PP spent for a lightning bolt. Um...and I'm not sure if I should be using Intimidate or Diplomacy for this one. He's appealing to the officer's better nature, but he's also being more than a little threatening. Maybe a synergy?
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2007-12-20 at 12:42 AM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

Draven/Oblivion

Arriving at The Unsung Edition successfully, he parked in the private back parking lot and let himself in the back entrance, locking the door behind him.

Leaving the store locked up for the time being, as official store hours had not began as yet, he took his time checking over the reverence ledger, determining which titles would be most valuable to him in researching the current topic.

Yes, I think these will be quite insightful. I wonder what effect the current situation might have on business? We might end up getting a lot more traffic if there are other...what are we called anyway? Or, more importantly, what do I call myself now?...Well, if there are "others" out there that don't look to science as their first answer to all of life's mysteries.
    Now, where did he put that original second printing of the Maelus? I know he has it around here somewhere...

After several hours, during which he gathered and poured through text after obscure text, taking notes as he did, Draven opened the store, but continued his "studies", expecting customer traffic to be light as usual. Although still somewhat disconcerting, he found that his newfound senses made watching the store, while doing what he loved, far more easy.
    Last edited by Thrall_Of_Ao; 2008-05-22 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Bold...VERY bold.

For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse walks over to Reaper in his cage and nods to him. "So, we should lay out what it is you wish to present to the mayor in your defense. First of all, there is your change of heart and desire to make up for your crimes. Secondly, there is the fact that you've turned yourself in and followed directions peaceably. Thirdly, that you were released by Dr. Fritz who is apparently a teleporter with the eyes of a killer... she may have wanted you at large to cover her own crimes. Fourthly, you participated in rescuing people from the burning building, one girl that we know of for certain, and did I hear someone say you may have found the person who set the blaze?" He pauses. "We may or may not want to emphasize that, because who set the explosives... that is something we don't know." He considers the list carefully, "Is there anything else you think you may wish to say?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-12-20 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The guy falls to the ground holding his now bloody arm and spewing an impressive collection of curses and insults at you. What grabs your attention however, is the comossion heard from….. downstairs? If you had to guess what it was, it kind of sounded like a large heavy box falling from a good size height. The clerk on the floor chuckles softly before passing out.
    "Goddang.. this thing really works..." Murky looks blankly at the gun in his hand. Had he really shot it?? Had he really shot that man? Yeah the guy was bad, but did he deserve to be shot?

He wasn't going to get a chance to figure that out now.. something big was downstairs. Maybe it was an alarm system. Or a bomb. Or maybe the guy behind the counter was just happy to finally be released from his terrible job.
    Maybe he really was just an innocent!

Murky grabbed the revolver off the counter and jumped behind the counter to find hte phone. Crouched down, he dialed 911, listening for any more activity from below. As soon as someone answers he yells "I'm at Edgar's Pawn Shop, and someone's been shot! Please send help right away!!"

And then, with the realization that maybe you can't just shoot people, and the world isn't really that nice, and not everything will turn out well... Murky slips back into the shadow world. Everything goes grey again. The clerk can't see him, and can no longer try to hurt him. Whatever is down below won't surprise him.

He'd be ready. He'll survive. And maybe he'd even figure out a way to deal with this mess without getting killed by the Neo-Mafia.

Murky slides to the back of the shop, where he can see everything, and where there are plenty of shadows for him to flee into.

{OOC: call 911. go into shadow world so that nothing can affect me while waiting to see what happens next.}

25. - Top - End - #595
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Excerpt taken from a personal entry, Oct. 31, 2014...

The effects of this chemical explosion will be far reaching, indeed. What we DON'T know is why it affected different people in different ways. Perhaps it tapped into latent memories from our youth...or it brings the true us to the surface. Everyone puts on a mask; it's part of human nature to keep the outside world from knowing what we really think about things. It is a defense mechanism designed to both keep ourselves safe and to garner social acceptance. Mankind is a social animal and has been for the entire span of it's evolution. One of the first things that "smart man" learned is that there is survivability in numbers, not safety. Social interaction relieves stress accumulated during the day, from simple grooming by our ancestors to the online gaming and bull sessions between friends over expensive coffee.

But back to the subject at hand. I know from firsthand experience that I was, and still am, to a lesser extent, completely steeped in the mystique and overall atmosphere of the Star Wars movies and dragons in general. I have noticed that the powers I have developed are closely related to both...after all, what is a blast of concussive energy but Force Push/Slam? Corrosive acid is the famous breath typing of the Black dragon. Could these appendages be failed wings or homage to a villain who went down like such a [censored]?

If my theory is correct, we can extrapolate from there. I have met with "The Man," a singularly crude creature, dripping with machismo and chauvinistic attitudes. He believes he is the gods' gift to women and acts as such. Following this line of reason, this must be his inner person. What kind of weenie would he be when you strip away his powers?

The same can be applied to the Reaper. His dark, shadowy nature seems to be who he really is; there are many rumors that he worked as an assassin before the incident. I suppose some people are who they say they are, but why is he fighting himself, attempting to become an instrument of vengeance? The logic escapes me and perhaps my theory is flawed fundamentally. There is no accounting for the random nature in which the powers were distributed. I suppose I will have to wait until the time is right and I have access to the secrets behind the chemical to make my final decision.

Forces continue to move against me, though. Villains are moving faster than I had anticipated and the abundance of superheroes has me worried. They are pesky, rarely a threat to a supervillain's wellbeing, but enough to cause massive failures in their plans.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

26. - Top - End - #596

The Reaper says, "I believe that about covers it. I wish to thank you for everything you've done. No matter the outcome, you've helped me in more ways than you know. The same goes for you, Nosferatu. Thank you." This was it, then. Soon, he would come face to face with destiny. Would Death be waiting there to greet him, or would he be given a second chance to undo te atrocities he had committed? Only time would tell.

Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #597

Nosferatu

Nosferatu gives a small bow at Reapers thanks.

"You are welcome. It is good to see you may receive the chance to redeem yourself. The question now is should Pulse and I stick around to see the Mayor? I suppose any major events back in the city would be reported here. Besides, I would like to see what the Mayor is planning and whether Reaper gets out or not. How about you, Pulse?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Barbarian in the Playground

Andrew/Vox Populi

"Thank you, Mayor. I understand," Andrew says, opening his mouth to try a more...powerful...touch, but then deciding against it.

Fine. They don't want me, is that it? Then I'll bring them to their knees until they beg for me to run the show.

Sellars leans back with a soft smile, and gets ready for whatever will come up next.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse nods to Reaper, "If anyone deserves a chance at redemption, the only way it would work is if everyone deserves that chance." He glances at Nosferatu, "I'd personally like to meet the mayor, and I want to make sure everything goes smoothly with Reaper here."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #600

Jason

"Wh-What answers?" He asked slowly, stumbling over himself. She was practically telling him he'd never figure it out for himself. He moved slowly toward her, his mind swarming again. Who does she think she is? What does she want with me anyway?!? "Wait up for a second..." he said, trying to keep his voice from faltering. "What are... are you talking about?" He forced himself to speak calmly and curiously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff Check (1d20-1)[2] Edit: Wow that sucks... Guess she could tell he was hiding his anger.

He moved up next her, wondering if it was working. She doesn't know anything. She knows nothing about me or about anything! "I just want to know what's going on." Finally he reached out his hand slowly and touched her shoulder."Help me?"

He felt the surge of anger rush through him, adrenaline following. His hand felt hot and with a short flash he fell back, the world seemingly blackening out around him for a second. He regained his sight quickly and looked around frantically to see what had happened... what he caused to happen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm thinking I'll take 10 on a touch attack to place my hand on her shoulder slowly, or even 20 if you think it'll be applicable. Then I'm going to try a cause blindness attack against her fort save.

Summary: Angry!
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2007-12-21 at 01:44 AM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread