New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default The other half of D&D

In the begginning there was nothing, and the multiverse was silent.

Then from nothing came the gods, and the multiverse was silent no more.

The first gods united their forces togheter to create the diferent planes and worlds, and in the begginning they worked in harmony, and thus the multiverse was at balance. They created the sentient races, the plants and beasts and much more, and marveled as their creations developed by themselves and created new things of their own.

However, as they grew older and developed their powers, each god started to have a diferent view on how the multiverse should be. First discussion, then disagreement and sudenly one of them tried to turn on his former brothers and sisters, killing several of them in a vile ambush. It ended up outpowered by the strenght of the other gods, but the damage had been done. The gods stoped trusting each other, and thus each retreated to his or her own plane, surroudngin himself with his creations and raising numerous defenses, watching his former brothers and sisters with distrust.

For eons then the gods have fought a slow battle of atriction. Watching in their own planes, they use their powers to help the races they created, in return of their loyalty. Every soul of a worshiper ascends to his god's plane after the death of his body, and becomes a petitioner, a servant of the god with special powers. The stronger he was in life, the stronger the petitioner created. Each god thus builds his own divine army to expand his power. The gods who ran out of worshipers, however, ended crushed by their stronger rivals.

So for millenias gods falled and new gods ascended from diferent places. Specially powerfull mortals, love between certain gods, and certain cosmic events, all have spawned new gods to replace the ones who disapeared. Alliances were made by gods with similar ideals, and betrayals hapened by gods whose minds changed. A neverending war, with countless battles and heros involved, wich reaches to our days.

Or so the legends of Gea tell. This is a story shared all the sentient races of the world of Gea, even those who live more isolated from the others. Altough each culture has their own version, they all share the same basics of the gods waging war against each other with the petitioners as their soldiers, and those petitioners are formed from the souls of their worshipers.

Gea is a vast and mysterious world, filled with perils. Inhabited by several sentinet races and a myriad of beasts and plants, Gea has no big nations. Instead, several citystates scatter the lands, each one with it's own rulers and government. Each of this city struggles to survive with internal conflicts of power and the attacks of the other city states, plus the hordes of monsters wich hide in the wilderness. Tales of undergound cities filled with horrible beasts, giants wich eat smaller humanoids, undeads wich crave for the living, the struggle for life is constant in Gea. More than one citystate has been destroyed by those dangers.

To counter this, however, there are the adventurers. These brave souls wander the land, developing their skills and helping those in need. They slay the monsters wich lurk in the wildnerness, giving the normal people space to breath and hope to live another day. Numerous stories have been written about them, of the ones who dare to face the perils of the world head on.

You are some of such adventurers. Each one of you...

That will be enough. You may leave.
    -said Queen Tymio to the bard eloquently speaking to you. The bard looked somewhat unsatisfied to her, and then bowed and goes behind a courtain of the audience chamber.

Queen Tymio is the ruler of the citystate of Liro. A beatifull young looking woman in a sumptuous royal dress, deep black hair and eyes, Tymio however has been ruling for over half a century, wich make many suspect she's using magic to extend her own lifespan, since she was suposed to be a pure human.

Somehow she managed to get all of you togheter today, with the use of powerfull influences. Sarl had recevein several generous invitations to perform puppet shows in several villages wich ended leading him to Liro, just as Jack had found a caravan wich paid him handsomely to entertain them in their travel to Liro. Uther had received a direct order from the church of Pelor to present himself to Tymio's service. Pie, on her side, wake up one morning to see the pet of his own former druid comrades delivering her a message to meet with Queen Tymio as soon as possible.

You all had heard of the fame of the benevolent excentric queen wich would use a new dress everyday and make a monthly crazy contest, with fat prizes to everybody. However she ruled fairly and things such as crime and poverty were nowhere to be seen in Liro's streets. The city's main source of income was it's powerfull magic users wich provided all sort of magic services and equipment to other cities and adventurers. As soon as you reached the city, beatifull maids wich seemed to be waiting just for your arrival invited you to the main palace in the center. So, guided by rich streets and silvery halls you ended up meeting with Tymio.

There, the bard had started it's long presentation, but Tymio had now interrupted him and now speaked directly to you, with a sweet soft voice wich seems almost melodical and to fill the room.

I have a big favor to ask all of you, but first, how about you present yourselfs? It's my belief you still don't know each other very well.

Says the queen with a smile and a wave of her hand towards you, inviting you to speack. The guards and court in the room fall silent as they wait you to speak.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-06-13 at 08:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The other half of D&D

A man in a shining suit of full-plate armor stands near the front of the assembled group. His armor is engraved with the holy symbol Pelor, as is the monstrous steel shield that rests at his side. His faces is marked with unseemly stubble, and the dark circles under his eyes betray his lack of rest before this important meeting. As he moves forward to address the Queen, a longsword at his side clanks noisily, echoing around the chamber. the man quickly stifles the sound with his hand before bowing low to Typio.

"May Pelor's blessing shine upon you, your Majesty. Your kind and fair rule over Liro is well-known throughout Gea. My name is Uther Tressex, servant of the church of Pelor, Crusader in the name of The Shining One. I will offer you my sword should you ask it of me, and do my best to serve you well."

3. - Top - End - #3

Tymio chuckles softly to Uther's presentation

How chivarlous of you, crusader of Pelor. It's nice to see your church is keeping their high standards. I gladly acept your offer.

4. - Top - End - #4

The rest of the court murmurs between them at hearing Uther's title, while the guards focus their atention on the crusader, with a mixture of respect and admiration.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-06-13 at 01:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The short hooded humanoid looks across the gathered crowd, a long black beak protruding from unter the hood. A hand like a bird's talon reches up and pulls down the hood revealing Pie's raven-like head. His claw sinks into his feather comb and scratches the skin under it.
    "The people of these lands call me pie.", he says with a notable accent, that seems to originate from both a far eastern language and his bird-like heritage, yet in a surprisingly eloquent choice of words: "So may you call me. I am a guardian of nature. A druid they call us in your language. I humbly offer you my services, but know that my true allegiance is with mother nature and Gea herself.", the only gesture he performs is a brief, almost stiff bow to the front, with his clawed hands at his sides.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pie is male. Also imagine his accent like a notable but not exaggerated japanese accent, with the throaty sound of a raven's caw
    Actually Pie is able to speak without accent he just rarely does so because, with it he can speak faster and with less effort.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sarl chuckles at his colleage's theatrics. He is a lean man, seeming whithered and old somehow, although he is clearly an adult in his prime. He walks with a limp, heavily leaning on his strange dark staff. "I bear no titles, and I have no special skill with the sword or spell. My name is Sarl Kalass, and I am a Puppeteer."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-06-13 at 01:51 PM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #7

Is good to hear you'll be willing to help me, Pie. It's an honor for me to have the service of one of those who slew Azilias, the green dragon that terrorrized the Emerald woods for twenty years. I see you use it's skin to protect yourself now. Don't worry, I won't ask any of you anything that may endager the hearth of our dear land.

The court once again murmurs, this time the word "dragonslayer" echoing trough the room.

As for you, Sarl, you shouldn't be so humble. Your master K'Sal brought hapiness to this castle many many years ago, and isnpired me to assure the hapiness of my people during my reign. I still remember his performaces with much fondness. It's a shame he's dead now, but you seem to have inherited his skill from what I heard. K'Sal knew how to use his puppets for the good of others. I hope you've also inherited that from him.

This time the murmurs are less intense, with several people now looking at Sarl with curious eyes, and words of "where are his puppets then?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    While the other two players somehow managed to ge themselves out of the game the one or the other way why not go on? they could join the party while we are already on our way.

Pie musters the puppeteer next to him before he speaks to Tymio again: "I am glad to hear so and very eager to hear what it is you require our services for."

9. - Top - End - #9

With the presentations finished, Tymio stands up from her throne and speaks again in her melodic voice:

As you all know, sometimes Gea is visited by outsiders, beings from the planes of the gods, wich come here to serve their masters. Demons trying to seduce mortals, Angels helping those in need, Slaads spreading chaos, Inevitables enforcing law and much more.

However, recently, something very strange has started to happen. Not only much more outsiders are starting to appear among us, but they also sudenly seem to don't follow their normal designs anymore. I've received news from a succubbus saving people from an earthquake in the east. Rumors from an assassin guild now run by a deva in the north. A suposed barbazu leading a resistance movement in a far away southern tyranny. Travelers from the west speak of a Zelekhut attacking caravans in the plains. They're few and far between, but these kind of cases is spreading.

My best diviners failed to obtain any usefull information on the matter, but I have my own suspicions. Something is hapening in the outer planes, and it's slowly starting to affect Gea. If we don't do anything, we risk that the number of those rogue outsiders will increase, and even if not all of them means us harm, the magnitude of their powers will inevitably wreck the delicate balance of all the mortal races.

So, I ask you to investigate the matter as best as possible. In order to acomplish this I think it would would be best for you to find and interrogate one of those suposed rebel outsiders. I can provide you with the services of my teleporters to quickly reach any well known area if you wish. I would sugest meeting first that succubbus who saved the people from the earthquake. The tales I received say she doesn't even try to hide her true devilish form when in public. Thus she should be the easier to find. But be carefull, there's always the possibility this may be some sophisticated lie from the forces of evil. One way or another I can't ignore the matter.

Any doubts you may have before departing brave adventurers?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

The droopy eyes of the Crusader snap to attention and his brow furrows as he takes in the strange news the Queen has just given them. He has very little experience with beings from other planes, and if he felt any fear or apprehension, he did not show it.

"When dealing with these outsiders, should we be open about our mission and objectives or try to keep some sort of cover? I assume it would be better to gather this information as subtly and quietly as possible, but if you wish us to be completely honest with the succubus then that's what we shall do."

He bows quickly to the Queen and awaits her reply.

11. - Top - End - #11

Ah, an indeed good question, Uther.

Altough I would prefer we could be completely open about this, the truth is I don't want to spread any unecessary panic along the general population, and also don't want to atract any dangers to my people in the case something may go wrong.

So, I would really apreciate if you made your best to cary this mission in secrecy. Listen as much as you can, speack only what's necessary. And if anyone should ask, you would be an independent party, and not a group hired by queen Tymio. If you get in trouble and contact me I'll do my best to help you, but I think we all agree it's best that we atract as few atention to this mission as possible.

Now don't worry about the glory. If everything goes right and if you wish, my bards shall compose epic stories about your deeds and spread them trough Gea.

The queen then let's out a small confident laugh like she's amused with some personal joke.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Jack bows and smiles back.

You have my word, my lady. We shall handle this. No stone will be left unturned, no suspects left unprobed. And speaking of probing, where might these succubi be?

13. - Top - End - #13

The last news of her tell she was on the eastern lands, aparently traveling from village to village helping people for free and fighting evil doers. She seems to have stoped recently in Kromi, a peacefull little village. My mages will teleport you there directly as soon as you're ready to go.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kearn
    A human walks towards you, apparently coming from some place in the room.
    Hello, my name's Kearn Blanck. It looks like you're capable of doing something in this world, so i would like to ask you:
    Are you interested in joining me in a try to raise Krarn Morck
    (Look at Kearn's background) to its former glory?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have nothing here to keep me back. I can start any time." Pie says, "I find this irregular behavior concerning and I would prefer to start immediately."

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, Kearn, if you wish my suport in raising Krarn Morck, here's an excellent oportunity. Aid this party in their quest, and my kingdom will suport you.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uther is slightly taken aback by the appearance of the new man, but nods at Pie's sentiment and seems anxious to go.

"I agree. These events are so puzzling that the sooner we can figure this out, the better. I am ready to go as soon as necessary."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

BlackDragon

Strangely, right at that moment a small creature appears 20ft over head, falling and rolling on the ground.

Coming to his feet he yells: Mightin have warned me blasted bookkeeper! Yull have the Wrath of the Alimighty Kalah to hear about next I see ye!

Finally looking around, he stares in shock at the gathered group. Well 'ello folk! Be lookin for a Lord to keep you out of trouble per chance? Almighty Kalah can set ye straight, nevermind that blasted bookkeeper, no aim.

Standing before you is a small creature, a gnome, but he is unusually pale for the kind, possibly a Deep Gnome. He wears purple robes, and a flowing purple cloak. About his person are three pouches, one slightly larger and attached to front left, the other two attached on each side of a silver belt. His green eyes have a crazy glint to them, and he smiles widely at the assemblage, especially at Queen Tymio, or perhaps her throne.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and I take: (1d6)[4] Falling damage

20. - Top - End - #20

Tymio puts an hand over her face, looking sudenly tired, sighs and says in not so melodic voice.

Well, this was one vision I really wished it didn't come to true, but it seems you can't fool with destiny...

My diviners had previewed that Kalah would appear here in this room around this time, the reason I prepared this audience to happen now. If what they previewed is right, Kalah will perform a great role in you quest, and thus I ask you to acept him in your ranks. Please don't be suspicious, behind that peculiar personality lies a great soul thirsting for adventure, just like yours.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

BlackDragon

So I be a famous one in this realm? Perhaps a God! Finally a place to be known as meself.

Kalah flutters his cape behind himself and frowns, Now what be this adventure nonsense? I am the great Almighty Kalah, Master of the Windswept Depths. The very Air and Stone are at my command. Also I make the pretties bubbles. So I demand something to eat right now!

With that he sits down, and looking directly at Pie says, Thank you kindly for the meal. and pulls out a pouch which he begins eating out of.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Pie stares suspiciously at the little gnome before him. As he speaks suddenly his accent is vanished and he sounds exactly like the purple clad gnome: "What meal be you talking of?!", he yells almost perfectly mimicing the gnomes speech patterns.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

BlackDragon

This one, course! Now what's this 'venturing we be doing? Will bubbles be involved?

24. - Top - End - #24

This "venturing" will consist of you going to a far away land and investigate the news that a succubbus has been doing selfless good deeds. If you acept lending us your great powers, Kalah, you'll be handsomely rewarded for the trouble.

Says Tymyio in a charming tone, smiling once again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

BlackDragon

Finishing his meal Kalah stands up again. Well that sounds mighty fine. Them Succies is good people from what I hear. Be happy to help. When we go and where? I can leave now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suggest you lead us to your mages, so we waste no more time." Pie says, his own voice and accent returned. "But I will have to get my companion first."

27. - Top - End - #27

Very well, follow me please, then. Don't worry about your companion, Pie, it has already been directed there by some one of my servants. She's, let's say, very gifted with animals. I believe you won't mind this little iniative of mine will you? Well, follow me please.

With these words then the queen directs your personally trough a smaller door hidden beihind a curtain. You are leaded trough a small dark corridor with strange runes in the walls and lighted by strange glowing blue jewels in the ceiling.

Eventually, you reach a sealed stone door. The queen whispers some words and it opens slowly, moving by itself. In the other side is a large room, even bigger than the audience chamber. There, you see a serie of scholars and mages discussing and performing what seems like alchemical. Scores of books and artifacts fill the walls. There are several fountains in the walls, bringing a flow of pure fresh water, and in the middle lays a garde wich is lighted by a large circular opening in the celing, where some of the scholars seem to rest.

The diferent people there bow to the queen as she passes near them, and Tymio smiles soflty back at them.

This is my personal library, where travelers found of knowledge, my mage retinue and some others discuss, work, study, or just come to have some intelectual estimulation. Now, where is that girl... Ah, there she is. Eling, come here, dear. Play time is over.

When you look at the part where Tymio pointed, you see (another) beatifull woman, but this one dressed with tight armor wich seems to be made from leaves. Her pitck black hair is tighted in a pony tail, and a bow in her back and a pair of shortswords in her belt. Altough at first human looking, a natural grace and slightly pointed hears sugest some elf blood on her.

Eling was entertained peting a large megaraptor near the garden, whispering something near his head and pating his back, wich Pie imediatily recognizes as Cake. Whe the ranger hears her queen call, she aproaches the party.

Ah, pleased to meet you. This is a wonderfull animal you have here, shame I can't spend more time with it. Oh, yes I'm Eiling the hunter, and I serve Tymio the wise. So, you're the ones who are going to investigate that matter wich has bugging the queen for weeks? I wish you good luck, and to solve this as quickly as possible. Tymio has barely eaten in the last...

Now now, dear, that will be enough-
    interrupts the queen, still keeping her smile-This is suposed to be a discrett matter, not something to be talked lightly with anyone.

Ah, sorry, my queen-says Eiling, blushing slightly, bowing and then leting herself stay behind as the party keeps following Tymio.

She's a good girl, just somewhat light headed. Now, here we are. Julius, this are the ones I told you about. Can you send them?

The men the queen speacks now, wich seemed just like another scholar at distance, covered by a hood, reveals himself to be an orc as he turns to the party. Scarred, tough, grey skin covers and tuffs of black tick hair his face, but his eyes, in contract, seem to glow with cold powerfull intelect. As he stands from the chair he was siting, he reveals himself to be exceptionally tall and well muscled. His right hand holds a large staff with a white jewel at the tip.

Hmpf. They look strong. They better be. This will be no playing matter. Are you all ready? I'll teleport you to the outskirts of the town where the succubi has been last sighted, and then I'll return to this castle. In three days time I'll return to the same location and I'll expcet you'll be there to report the situation. If, and only if, you find yourselfs in trouble, use this.

With this words, he hands Pie a black pearl ring, with strange carved runes all along it.

Breack it, and the bearer and anyone touching him will be teleported to a safe place. Don't use it lightly, please.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kearn
    Well, i have nothing else to do, so i can as well join you. And who knows, maybe I'll find someone who can help me at rebuilding Krarn Morck?
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-06-17 at 01:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, good sir." Pie says stowing away the Ring carefully in his backpack. "I will take good care of it."
    He turns to Eiling: "I'm impressed, Eiling, it takes a good deal of empathy not to have Cake see you as his next meal", Pie takes the large raptor and pats the side of his neck before turning to Tymio and Julius: "I am ready to go."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uther follows the Queen in silence, preparing himself internally for what was sure to be a trying expedition. As he enters the vast room, he watches the megaraptor closely, his eyes taking in every detail. "A fine creature indeed..." He turns to face the large orc, and nods along with his speech as if only half-interested. He turns to the Queen and bows one more time before addressing the orc again. "I am ready to depart as soon as you are, friend."