New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact IX: City of Weeping Ghosts

Adalmar

Sensing that Gala shares something of his feeling of guilt - even after losing so many companions, even knowing he couldn't have done more, he can't help it - he reaches out to brush her shoulder with his hand, searching her eyes briefly. Then he strides forward again, bottling his feelings to better redirect his frustration against their enemies.

"Like Elthan, I think those gargoyles are just that, statues."
    Right after he is done speaking, a confused look appears on his face - he realizes he just voiced agreement with the dark half-elf ! Whether it means something or not, he'll have to think about it. Later.
    "But if the demons' wail was heard..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Back ! Thanks for not doing away with Adalmar, DR.
    Last edited by namo; 2008-01-19 at 08:06 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

2. - Top - End - #332
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Gala

With a half smile and a nod to Damian, Gala steps aside to let him zoom by. "Thanks, Damian. I think we were all on edge back there, with good reason. And Grynde, that doesn't make sense. What's the point of knowing it's a trap in the first place then? Wouldn't it be better to just..." Gala trails off as Grynde continues further into the room. "You know what? Fine. Do what you want. But if your rash actions hurt anyone else, you'll answer to me." She shakes her head, realizing that whatever she says probably won't make much of a difference. He seemed determined to do what he wanted to do.

Noticing Adalmar's concern, she returns his look reassuringly. Losing Aeroz still hurt, but she was dealing with it. She redirected her grief towards protecting those that were left. "Well if the gargoyles are just statues, like you think, we should probably just move on through. I don't know how much time has passed, but the sooner we get this done, the better." With that, Gala watches Damain move through the room and waits for him to report.

3. - Top - End - #333

Goblin

Retay

After watching the mêlée of demon-zombies, and ascertaining that Aeroz was indeed asbent, Retay retreated further back from the rest of the party than he usually did. He simply stood, staring at the iron octagon ring that the elf had loaned him.

The plainsman stands uncertainly on the edge of the chamber. What's going to attack us? Gargoyles? Statues aren't dangerous... He eventually concludes it must be something arcane, like necromancy, and the grip on his greataxe tightens.

Spoiler
    Show
    (assuming that nothing too interesting happens...) Retay kneels to the side, and reaches into his pack for a vial of silvery liquid. He carefully applies this Silversheen to his greataxe. "If we're as close as we think, we'd better have made our preparations," he explains.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

You enter the octagonal chamber, some cautiously, others less so.

Adalmar is careful not to prick himself on Gala's armor spikes as he lightly touches her shoulder.

Other than this display of concern for the newest party member, relatively few words are exchanged. Although Grynde and Damian try to keep the atmosphere lighthearted, there is a sense that a difficult battle looms ahead, and the loss of Aeroz is not a good omen.

The sorceror's transformation into a tiny demon is noted by a few raised eyebrows, but hardly seems worth commenting upon it seems. Two quasits flit about the room. It is hard to keep track of which one is Khazrael and which is Zeodoras.

Retay coats the head of his battle axe with a silvery oil. As always, the taciturn barbarian appears to be carrying on a conversation with himself inside his head.

Tiriel passes Damian the dragonfly ring. Grynde makes no comment about the other rings she wears on her fingers.

Your torches cast shifting illumination and shadows upon the stone gargoyles. Weapons are held ready in case the statues prove to be monsters rather than mere sculptures.

The room remains silent and still, however, as Damian scans the statues and archways. "The statues are magical," he notes.

One of the gargoyles speaks.

"Greetings, friends! I am so glad that you have come. It makes my job so much easier!

A second continues:

"Please take the stairs up three levels. I will have my minions rendez-vous with you there.

And a third concludes:

"I look forward to seeing you again. It has been too long indeed ..."

The gargoyles fall silent.

A faint hissing becomes audible and thin streams of mist begin to pour out of the mouths of the gargoyles. The mist is heavy and begins to thicken on the stone floor of the chamber ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-01-20 at 06:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335

Khazrael

A shriek of self-righteous anger erupts from the little demon when the gargoyles begin spraying out vaporous clouds.

"AAAAAH! No! I told you people exactly what was going to happen and nobody listened and now we've got poisoned gas filling the room! Up, up, up!"

Khazrael tugs briefly on the sleeve of the person nearest to him and shoots toward the stairs, flying high enough up them to keep safe from the fumes, but not up the full three levels--running unprepared into the arms of the enemy might be worse than getting gassed.

6. - Top - End - #336

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at the statues with disgust. "Going up's not going to help. She said her minions. She's not going to be there. We have no idea where she is. This is a problem." Fizahn continues moving towards the stairs, unsure of where else to go.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The Rashemi healer walked tentatively into the room following the others, distraught at the resumed bickering. She struggled with her desire to chide them for their lack of focus, not wanting to add to the confusion, and realising that they had dealt with everything that had come their way thus far and wanting to leave well enough alone.

At the words from the gargoyles, she headed for the stairs like the others,

"Was the Valentine's voice from the gargoyles? If we're worried about walking into another trap, I have another spell to hide people from any undead we might encounter. I can effect up to seven of us, and the spell should last over an hour."

Once again, her question while spoken aloud is somewhat directed towards the enigma that is Callos.

8. - Top - End - #338

Tiriel

Tiriel sighs and crosses her arms as Grynde does his normal: whatever he-damn-well-pleases. Well at least he hasn't started asking questions about how I got the ring back, she thinks to herself with a grimace. I don't want to give it back to him, since neither it or the dragon do him any good. Still, I don't really need two of these; after all I only need one to block the vampire's influence. Ahhh, it's really too bad that the dragon is so choosy...

Tiriel jumps in alarm when the gargoyles start talking and then spew a noxious-looking vapor. Secretly she agrees with Khazreal, no one listens when they need to...
    "I don't think we have much of a choice, the gas is settling, not rising so we have to go up. Up was our original goal anyhow..." Tiriel trails off as she heads toward the stairs.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika runs for the stairs. Dammit, I was right! Although it could be worse, the mist could be vampires... Augh. Don't think about it and it won't happen.

Once Anika reaches the stairs, she takes the time to load her crossbow with one of the silver bolts she had acquired earlier.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Undead demons...know that he had time to fully let his mind settle back to the idea of them, he found himself bizarrely fascinated and repulsed by the idea. Who would make them?....How would they? The questions and theories running rampant through his mind made him turn inward as they progressed and it was only when Grynde went walking into the room that he snapped out of his revere.

"Is that what she really sounds like?...I don't think I've ever really heard her voice before...if it is then I don't like it..but run now hate later. Tryntha, if you have such a spell, you may want to consider using it now on those you think it'd be best for. You might not have time for it later.." And with that the absentminded necromancer took off running for the stairs that lead above, though once he reached them his pace slowed considerably to a more cautious one.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #341

DruidGirl

Gala

Unnerved by the talking gargoyles and the gas streaming in, Gala echoes Tiriel's statement. "Looks like they're not giving us much of a choice, as much as I dislike being herded." As she headed towards and up the stairs, Gala starts thinking about the voice. I guess that must have been meant for us, right? I thought that we were supposed to be the surprise strike force. This isn't good...I wonder how long it's been since we started. We need daylight on our side.
    Last edited by Aveda; 2008-01-22 at 05:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342

Goblin

Retay

The barbarian looks up, surprised to hear an unfamiliar voice. Then he realises it comes from the mouths of the gargoyles, and he leaps to his feet, silvered axe at the ready.

There is a long pause as he takes in the words.

Then he bursts with laughter, and bounds eagerly towards the stairs.

13. - Top - End - #343

Damian

When the gas starts filling the room, the sound of others bolting to the stairs registers in the back of Damian's head, but he immediately rushes to the gargoyles themselves, taking a deep breath to avoid inhaling anything. I'll try once. Don't let yourself be herded. Safer to move on your own terms, rather than someone else's.

Forceful, and possibly stupid, resolve filling him, he attempts to stop the gas's flow. Failing that, he thanks his luck inwardly for the ring's alternate ability, and flies immediately upwards away from the gas and up the stairs with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device - (1d20+8)[15] (character sheet says +10, but the +2 misc. mod is a mistake)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344

Adalmar

He doesn't hesitate and rushes up the stairs... only to slow down when he realizes his magically-enhanced speed would make him leave everyone behind. His eyes search the semi-darkness, hoping to find a target for his arrows.

Spot - (1d20+15)[18]
    (he'll take out his torch if needed)

15. - Top - End - #345

Khazrael

Seeing Damian pause to take a look at the gargoyles, he yells, "Run, you idiot! Who cares if we're running into trouble, we'll just slaughter them like we always do!"

He tugs at his mane of feathers and grits his teeth while he waits for Damian to move.

16. - Top - End - #346

Tiriel and Anika recognize the patronizing aristocratic voice emanating from the magic mouth effect as that of Lady Valentine.

With varying degrees of reluctance, the party members make for the spiral stairs, following the steps upward in a clockwise direction.

Damian lingers behind to see if he can disable the gargoyle vents, but there are too many gargoyle mouths to block. He plunges one arm into a gargoyle's mouth up to his shoulder. There is no mechanism or trigger in arm's reach that he can find.

A cloyingly sweet odor rises from the mist, leaving a metallic taste in the back of his throat. Damian darts for the stairs, but as he does so, his legs seem to become heavier and heavier, until he feels as though he is wading through quicksand. He sees a quasit chattering at him from the stairs, but he can't quite make out the words as a dull buzzing fills his ears.

I wonder if that one ... is ... Khazrael or ... Zeodoras ... ? is his last thought before he blacks out.

Adalmar bounds up the stairs, and is the first to reach the next level. A change in masonry reveals to him that you have reached ground level. The landing remains dark however. If there were any windows on this level, they have been sealed up to prevent any light or fresh air from penetrating.

Dark hallways lead off in four directions. There is movement and low moaning from three of the hallways ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-01-23 at 04:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347

Tiriel

Once she reaches a landing Tiriel waits near the stairwell with her sword (the flaming one) drawn and held ready. Remembering Callos' comment, Tiriel says, "Yes, that was her. Evidently we weren't being nearly as clever as we had thought because she knows we're here! Hells, things will only get worse from here."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

18. - Top - End - #348

Fizahn:

Fizahn is one of the more reluctant ones to climb the stairs. "Now keep in mind, she doesn't necessarily know we're coming. That could have just been a precaution. Or we're going to walk straight into a trap. So exciting." He Pauses for a second to look at their surroundongs as they emerge on the next floor. "Wonderful place really. Love what she's done with it. Really very cheerful. Nothing soul crushing about it at all..."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

19. - Top - End - #349

Khazrael

Khazrael counts his allies with a clawed finger, and spits on the ground when he sees that Damian never arrived. He's struck with an idea, and turns to his servant, saying, "Zeodoras! I don't share your immunity to poison, and neither does that fool we left behind! Are you strong enough to drag him to us if you transform into your hound form?"

20. - Top - End - #350

Elthan

Elthan transforms momentarily into a bat, flying over the heads of the others and landing beside Adalmar in a puff of shadows as he returns to normal. Taking in the situation one floor up, he points to the hallway without sounds and poses to him, "Think it would be fair to say that is the way out? I fear we might need an exit."

He takes another look around and notes the windows. How well prepared of her. I wonder if it would even matter; it might as well be night outside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

21. - Top - End - #351

Obediently, Zeodoras flies to the base of the stairs and drops to the mist-covered floor.

The quasit is obscured by the poisonous fog momentarily, but then he reappears in his canine alternate form. The dog grabs Damian's collar and drags him up out of the mist onto the lower stairs. Gala, holding her breath, reaches down and pulls him up out of harm's way.

Zeodoras remains in dog-form. Khazrael lands on his back.

"Tryntha, we need you!"

Up above, on the ground floor landing, Elthan, Fizahn, Tiriel, and Adalmar peer down the four passageways. Low moans and shuffling feet approach slowly from three directions. A nauseating stench wafts towards the party from those hallways.

There is a commotion down below and a call for Tryntha's aid. With the party spread out - some on the stairs, some on the landing - it will be hard to defend the landing from three different directions.

Tiriel has sheathed the silvered sword and redrawn her flaming weapon. She considers the options: (1) make a stand here at the landing, (2) fall back down the spiral staircase, (3) retreat down the silent passageway, (4) continue climbing up the stairs to the second level ...

22. - Top - End - #352

Adalmar

Grim-faced, the short ranger shakes his head in reply to Elthan : "I don't trust that corridor to be empty. We should either fall back a bit or go up some more. Then again, the vampire may have another surprise for us on the next landing. To help us decide..." Whipping his arm back then forward, the ranger throws his everburning torch down the first passage to their left, as far as possible. As soon as the approaching creatures are visible, he will loose a volley at them, then move according to what the group decides.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika swears. More zombies. "We have to move, or we'll be surrounded. Either we go up or we go that way." She points to the silent passage.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2008-01-24 at 09:14 PM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

24. - Top - End - #354

Tiriel

I'm going to really enjoy beating that crap out of that bitch. So close now! Can't be stopped by her zombies, skeletons, demons and who knows what else! And Si'rene! Gods, don't forget what she did to Si'rene! This silver sword better do...

Adalmar's questions interrupt Tiriel's morbid and bloody (do vampires bleed?!?) train of thought. She takes a calming breath and tries to analyze the situation in a rational manner. "Down is out, we can't go back, not with that fog or whatever filling the room up. We could try the "empty" passage but it could easily be a dead end and also leave us trapped, or we could go up... and maybe face the same problem we have on this floor, we can easily be surrounded."

Tiriel turns and calls down the stairs, "Anika, can you go check the next floor and see if things look any better up there? It has to be quick though! We don't have much time."

ooc: are there any windows in this place or are we still too deep underground?
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

25. - Top - End - #355

Khazrael

Khazrael points a claw at the silent passageway.

"We take it, and maybe lose them! If it's a dead end, well...they'll only be coming in from one direction!"

26. - Top - End - #356

DruidGirl

Gala

Gala grabs Damian's prone form, trying to be gentle in her plate armor, and hauls him further up the stairs towards the rest of the group where someone more qualified could take a look at him. Once she gets there, she heads for Tryntha, not bothering to offer any input on which route to take. That vampire's likely herding us no matter which way we go. It looks like she's been prepared for this. Frowning at the thought, she reaches Tryntha and offers up Damian. She doesn't let go of him completely, seeing as the party could move on at any second, but she lowers him to the floor so Tryntha could have easier access to the unconscious spelltheif. "He got caught in that gas down there. Can you heal him? We don't have much time for a full diagnosis here, but what do you think?"

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

She had been rushing headlong up the stairs, completely unhindered by the darkness. Through the commotion behind her, she thought she heard someone calling out for her. Turning back, she moves past those coming up the stairs and see's the armored woman carrying Damian's still form.

"I must determine what is wrong with him before I can apply the appropriate magics."

Motioning for Gala to sit the man up against a wall, she beckons her to move on,

"They will need your blade up there, I fear there is little more you will be able to for Damian."

Not wishing to lose any more time, the Rashemi healer fell within herself and tapped the energy her link with the spirits of her lands gave her access to. Running her hands over his chest, she encanted the words she had been taught as an acolyte and let her senses become sensitive to the harmful aura of most poisons.

Cast Detect Poison

28. - Top - End - #358

Gala leaves Damian in Tryntha's hands and rushes up the remainder of the stairs to the landing where Tiriel and the others have formed a protective semi-circle around the spiral stairwell.

Adalmar hurls an everburning torch down the hallway to his left. It skitters and rolls to a halt, revealing the ghoulish undead marching up the hallway. The dead wear tattered insignia, suggesting that in life they were part of a military unit, though instead of weapons they wield only razor sharp claws. They ignore the torch, stepping over it and continuing their deliberate march towards the party.

Meanwhile, Anika has sprinted up the stairs to the next level. Leaping back down the stairs three at a time, she reports that all is quiet and still on the next level.

Tryntha closes her eyes and isolates the poison afflicting Damian. Although gaseous, its effect resembles that of drow knockout poison. Damian is more or less unharmed, but untreated he may not awaken for hours.

29. - Top - End - #359

Tiriel

"Okay, then it sounds like up might be better idea. We can bottle neck them on the stairwell hopefully." Tiriel pauses, "Unless someone's real set on staying where we are, we need to go NOW."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Lady Shine-at-night is right, staying put is a death sentence in this sort of situation. Especially getting caught in a dead-end. Their advantage is implacability and numbers while ours is mobility. If we stay mobile at the very least we can pick off more of their number before being dragged down and...well most likely eaten." Came the gruff reply from Callos as he trudged up the stairs after everyone else. Once reaching the next floor though he almost directly made a bee-line for Damien and hovered over the mercenary as Tryntha used her magic on him.

A useful spell, and definitely not one he knew, but it's results might not be entirely helpful at the moment so instead he whispered. "You might want to decide who you'll be cloaking here and now.." The grim look in his eyes spoke volumes to the hathran.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."