New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Shadows of the Last War (IC)

Arzeal

Arzeal will spend his time just relaxing.

if the caravan moves slow enough he will try to keep up with it on foot most of the time, if allowable.. just to enjoy the wilderness.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Za, alias Sally

[ooc]If you ignored my wall of text(which is understandable), Za is disguised as a human and told you to call her Sally while she is maintaining the disguise. Also, if Saber's sword is cursed to make it's wielder obsessed with it, we need to rewind to Za trying to blackjack Shaerdon for his own good.[/ooc]

In Sterngate, any guards who check the party's ID see Za's real identification and travel papers, which lists her true form under description and the fact that she often alters her shape for no particular reason under her distinctive features. If she sees anyone who looks like a spy(a Brelish spy who is just reporting or something, that is), she asks them where a good place to get forged identification papers in Rhakuun Draal(or however the city is spelled) is. If someone sees her at that and tells her to knock it off, she complies without hesitation. She also reminds Garrock to try to obtain some of his tea, since he probably didn't pack enough for an 18 day journey.

When the group is taken aside, "Sally" says "Nice to meet you too." She also adds the scar her true form received from Saber to her Sally form, taking this as evidence that Darguun is the sort of place where the theft of Arzeal's scarring tradition will come in handy. Once he walks off, she remarks "Doesn't have much respect for brains and magic or tricks and charm, does he?" Seeing how Shaerdon reacts to the backslap, Za adds "That's just something people like him do to show someone that looks younger approval."

On the train when Upwelling offered to heal her, Za told him that his magic would be better spent on his prostelytizing, since flesh slowly repairs itself over long periods of time and an attack on a lightning rail is unlikely in the extreme. If he takes this opportunity to point out how illogical Arzeal's scarring tradition is(but not if he just says that he doesn't understand it, since that doesn't reveal his underlying attitudes), she explains that by leaving the signs of having received damage in a fight, Arzeal appears more intimidating, and therefore more likely to get what he or his allies want in a situation that would normally require violence, because he is clearly skilled or durable enough to have survived a fight in which damage was inflicted on him. If he does not, she explains this on the caravan once it is clear why he doesn't understand it whenever it comes up.

Za attempts to give similar explanations for the other motives that Upwelling doesn't understand. Upwelling probably realizes that she herself is cheerfully amoral, but highly loyal. One example of what may help him realize this is when, one time when their are alone(either with each other or the party), she asks "Would it be wrong if I pretend to worship the Host while I'm in this shape? Most humans worship them, see. I wouldn't care except to make sure they wouldn't smite me first if I didn't know you, but I do." Her attempts to give the warforged some kind of logical reasoning for things that perplex them probably take up most, but not all, of the trip.

When Garrock has his idea, Za looks intrigued, but looks a tad confused for a second when he explains the rules of the game. After the confused look goes away, she says "Hey, Garrock, let me tell you a bit of...family wisdom about gambling." then leans in and whispers in his ear "Don't cheat all the time. Just because someone can't tell how you're cheating doesn't mean they can't tell you're cheating. You've got that look you get when you figure out something nifty, and that sounds like the kind of game you can cheat at with really hard math. Oh, by the way, don't cheat anyone out of their money that can't afford it; you'll feel bad about it later if you do." Once she's delivered her warning, she returns to her usual position and says "I don't have anything against gambling, of course, but if you still want to play after hearing that, I'm gonna have to say no."
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

While Za is trying to explain the scarring to him, Upwelling asks "So...it shows he is not capable of avoiding damage, nor has a way of getting the damage repaired promptly? How is that a show of strength? It appears as more of an admission of weakness to me. Look. I can be struck and know not how to get repaired swiftly! How does that show strength?"
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-10 at 01:29 AM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    scar explanation

"It shows that he can overcome those limitations and still win the fight he was in." Za replies in a reasonable tone. "The skills needed to do so, which in Arzeal's case are basically the ability to inflict even more damage on his enemy, are considered more dangerous than a good defense."
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-10 at 01:02 AM. Reason: moar arguements
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

"But in the case of the latest scar, it was a joined battle. The 'scar' as a symbol of such only works if all combats are one verses one. He could have been rendered unconscious in the combat, as you were, and still have the scar. It would merely prove he was foolish, and didn't die. Not that he is stronger by any measure."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    Scar debate
    "But people who are seeing him for the first time don't know that the specific battle wasn't just between him and Saber. It's a tad illogical to think that everyone we meet will know everything we do, isn't it? Also, anyone who does know that is likely to also know that he was inflicting the most damage of all of us in that battle. The symbol only fails to work if all battles are joined." Za argues. "For that matter, don't underestimate the value of being foolish and surviving it to learn from your mistake. People made of flesh don't share the advantage that warforged have of being built with all of the lessons we learn from trial and error already learned. Although I might be wrong about that advantage even existing, since I don't know very much about magic."
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-10 at 01:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

"I don't believe we are built with all possible scenarios loaded. However, we do seem to have a far more logical approach to things then any of you meatbags I have yet encountered. Most combat scenarios are thought to include multiple combatents. As for learning from mistakes, it is far better to simply not do such foolish actions. Run the scenarios over in your mind a thousand times. Think out how each action will envoke responses. Imagine each possible result, and those that will not work, simply do not engage in. How is that difficult?"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    scar debate
    "Okay, first, you should know that a lot of people are offended by the term meatbag, and I personally would assume you worked for the Lord of Blades if I didn't know you and heard you call me that. Second, that method would be tedious, time-consuming, and almost completely incapable of accuracy of any kind unless used by a genius who would make Garrock look like Arzeal. Fights are too unpredictable for that to work. That method is, to be brutally honest, illogical. Anyway, the fact that most races aren't as logical as warforged in general is part of why Arzeal's scar tradition is useful; the assumption that people with scars are skilled fighters is still there, even if it isn't exactly logical."
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-10 at 04:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

"So...what word works better as an all encompassing term? Fleshpuppets? Squishy ones? Bleeders? Organics? Rotting, oozing, self-annihilating husks? I have heard all used to describe non-warforged...and they seem far more fitting then any titles you claim to attempt to elevate yourselves above my kind. But I digress. You're saying that there is no reason for the scarring but....shall we say 'organic'? Stupidity. As for running the possibilities through the mind, your systems do it automatically. For a warforged, there are some automatic responses, but the main part is directed. I've heard that for you 'organics' there is the 'flight or fight' response...but even that is too simplified. Flight could happen a thousand different ways in each scenario, and your mind has to process each individually and determine the most appropriate route, and then compare it to the millions of ways of combat, decide the optimal combat route, and then decide between the two. As most of this is automatic for you, you simply think 'Attack or Run'. For me, it is more of a process of consideration and evaluation. Once you add the channeling of divine energies into the mix, there are even more options available, and the continual worry. If I seal the replicating and self-sealing exterior of one organic....will I need that capacity at a later date? And is it crucial that I seal it, or will it seal on it's own given time? Is such a quantity of time available? Is it likely it will be available? Would it be more supportive to bolster those still fighting? Or to seal the wrappings of those wounded? You do a thousand computations a second...you're just not consciously aware of it. You merely should do the same when in a non-combat situation. Have I fully expressed myself? Or do I need to reiterate in more detail on some point I have been lacking in?"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    "Organic is acceptable, and if you truly don't form habits, then meatbag is also acceptable when you are only in the company of people who you know are not offended by the term. I fail to see the lack of logic in exploiting someone else's illogic as the scarring tradition does, and I already explained to you some of the logic that is 'processed unconsciously' by people who see a scar and think of the person with the scar as having survived a dangerous battle, and it's not even that stupid to be honest. I think I understand what you're trying to say about how we think differently in combat, and you seem to be unaware that if we allow ourselves to think that we have truly planed for every possible scenario, then we also think that we won't need to use that ability to make those calculations unconsciously as much, so when something goes wrong, we don't use it as well as we could if we were expecting something unexpected to happen."
    [ooc]Why do my manipulative characters always get in big debates?[/ooc]
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-10 at 06:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311

Day 1

The caravan sets off from Sterngate and the air of excitement and adventure is thick with everyone. Za's debate with Upwelling has a vigorous tone to it.

Day 2

The sense of adventure is still high, but fading, after a night camped out in the wilderness. On this day, you cross the border out of Breland and into Darguun. The caravan leads through Morguul Pass, and you are surrounded on both sides by high mountains. It would be impossible to take the caravan over them, so the only choice now is forward, or turnaround and go back. Za's debate with Upwelling seems to rage on, and the one of it has taken a bit less friendly of an attitude.

Day 3

As far as the eye can see, there are mountains. With this terrain, the progress slows down considerably. The higher elevation makes it harder to catch your breath when you become winded. Moods are quickly beginning to sour among the caravan. The only bright point is that the weather has held up so far, but who knows how long that will last. Mountain territory is notorious for rapid weather changes. Za's neverending debate with Upwelling seems to just be going in circles at this point.

(Sheardon only)
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the third day of the journey, you manage to spot a large number of creatures, shadowing your trail. They stay well back and well hidden. It doesn't seem like anyone else has seen them.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-01-10 at 09:07 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

Shaerdon

"Hey, um, Za? You know what you said about an attack in transit being extremely improbable? Well, exactly how improbable are we talking?"
    Last edited by Slash_712; 2008-01-10 at 10:37 PM.
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

13. - Top - End - #313

(No Peeking from anyone! This is just some notes for me, so I don't forget what I rolled)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Za, Upwelling - Day 4
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

"Well, oh shifting bag of meat. Let me bring this conversation to a close, as Shaerdon seems to need your attention. Thinking logically, has no drawbacks, and you'll find, that when pressed, your intuitive circuits still fire. As for your earlier implied question, as to whether or not I mind you impersonating someone of true faith, I take to it as kindly as you take to being called a rotting putrid husk, oozing continually, and daily consuming other rotting husks, in an effort to delay your inevitable breakdown. Consider that." After saying such, Upwelling turns his attention to Shaerdon, asking "Why the odd question?"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

Shaerdon

"Oh well, I just thought I'd ask because there are some creepy shady things that have been following us, and I was wondering if they were maybe some sketchy friends of yours?"
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Za

"I don't have any 'shady friends' except the kind that would already be among the passengers if they wanted to rob the caravan, and I'd have heard about it if a lot of them left Sharn. They're those mountain tribes the head driver warned us about, probably. And don't call people things. I know it's only been five years since it stopped being really common, but still. Upwelling, remind me to talk to you after we deal with this. Oh, and incidentally, you will not be able to hide it from me if you let one of my friends die." Za says, returning her voice to it's normal(which isn't much of a difference). She goes to address the driver of the party's wagon. "Do you have some way to contact the boss driver from here, without it being obvious to the people Shaerdon saw following us?"
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-10 at 11:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317

Wagon Driver

The half-elf at the front of the wagon says to Za "You mean like some spell? No, nothing like that. Why do you ask?"
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Before Za goes to speak to the driver, Upwelling interjects "You think me so blind a healer as to be unable to tell a wounded organic from one near expiration? You're right then, we will need to talk. Insulting me is not the most efficient course of action when, from talk of shady things slash people, it seems battle is imminent. I'll go rouse the stupid organic. The one who delights in displaying his foolishness."

While Za goes to speak to the driver, Upwelling seeks out Arzeal and tells him "Ready yourself for combat, but covertly. Za seems to have some sort of sneaky plan. Also, as combat is neigh, tell me exactly how you wish for me to save your life if need be. Do I need to insert a finger or two into a wound to hold it slightly open while my magics work to seal it shut? I don't understand your foolishness."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Za

"No, I don't think you're that blind, at least not about physical damage. That's part of why you wouldn't be able to hide it from me." Za replies to Upwelling.

"I told you, we're being followed. I want to warn him so nobody gets caught off-guard, and I want to do it without them noticing so we can be better prepared than they expect us to be and also to be sure that they don't panic and attack right away." Za explains to the half-elf. "ABy the way, do you know anything about those mountain tribes he said were acting up lately?"

[ooc]Would it be unusual, from the viewpoint of someone watching the caravan, if someone were to simply walk from their wagon to another one that is ahead in the caravan?[/ooc]

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Before he departs to get Arzeal he spits back at Za "Do not accuse me of a crime until it's been committed. Organics like you is, as far as I've seen, the main reason the Lord of Blades has such a following."

Spoiler
    Show
    In the last town, Upwelling went off for a little bit. When he returned, he has another leather pouch hanging off the bottom of his backpack. He gives no explaination for it.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-11 at 12:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    Upwelling provokes a rare accidental display from Za; her mouth opens, her eyes widen, and draws back as if slapped but without the head movement, but then she recomposes herself and says "You sound like a follower of the Lord of Blades yourself at times, particularly now. That is the only reason behind my suspicion." ...isn't it?

Of course, no self-respecting changeling would let a stranger see such doubts, so this does not affect her conversation with the wagon driver unless he heard it.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-01-11 at 12:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

{OOC: Scale of 1 to 10, its about a 4. People do move between wagons, but not often.}
    The Tangled Web

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Shaerdon

"So how exactly should we deal with this, Za's mouth or....." Shaerdon reaches for his sword hilt.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Does the driver know anything about the mountain tribes?

If not, then:[/ooc]
    Za

"Okay, thanks anyway." Za says, going back to the party's part of the wagon, and answers Shaerdon's question. "If they're willing to negotiate, then I'll talk to them, but if they're not, we'll kill them. Do they look like they're somewhere that they could see the whole caravan from, or like they'll attack us before I can go warn the head driver?"

25. - Top - End - #325

The driver only knows that the tribes have been aggressive lately.
    The Tangled Web

26. - Top - End - #326

Garrock

Having found nobody interested in his game, Garrock goes back to pondering mathematical paradoxes. He is currently sitting in a wagon, lost in thought, and oblivious to the situation at hand.
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Zag'Rat held some animosity towards normal, truly living people, but it did not go nearly as far as Upwelling's feelings. He had heard their initial discussion and was tempted to join in, but it quickly took turns he was not willing to interfere with. Instead, he busied himself practicing his forms for invoking his infusions and considered best their applications.

[ooc] Basically he did not want to be within easy earshot of their arguments and found somewhere he could "think" in quiet peace. [/ooc]

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

Shaerdon

"Umm, let me check." Shaerdon says in reply to Za as he looks out back, squinting just a little.

@Asmo-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want some sort of Spot check for this? If so, here it is.
    Spot - (1d20+9)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329

Arzeal

Hearing the excitement going on around him, Arzeal slowly but grogily wakes from his nap.

What's going on, why do you guys look like your getting ready for battle?

We are still on the cart thing right?

seeing everyone else prepare, Arzeal starts to get ready for battle... Picking up his club, and holding it in his hand well im ready when you give me the go.

Cocking his head towards Upwelling, Hrm. well just try to weave your magic around the scar if you need to heal me. Not sure but that's what Celedor used to do.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

30. - Top - End - #330

{OOC: @Azreal - Actually, Celedor just didn't heal you all the way. As long as the magical healing isn't complete, there will be a scar.}

Sheardon

The group of goblinoids are far off in the distance. They are amassed in numbers, and have the high ground. They have obviously seen the caravan and are following it. However, they have made no aggressive move at this point. They are keeping a good distance and don't appear to be interesting in initiating an attack within the next few moments. However, they are taking careful measures to avoid being spotted, and clearly don't want their presence to be known.
    The Tangled Web