New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Shadows of the Last War (IC)

Garrock
    Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    Upwelling

When Garrock starts his research, Upwelling asks him "Garrock. I know we have just become acquainted, but I am unfamiliar with this facility. Could you help me find materials on a subject I wish to study while you are occupied? I wish to know more of my....my creation. Humans are told of thier birth, all I was told was that I was created. Never how. As far back as I remember, I've just praised Onatar for the inspiration he granted House Cannilith to birth us, I just wish to know more...how."
    "Certainly!" Garrock says, smiling. "I'm not sure how much this library may have on the subject, since I believe the secrets of warforged creation are, well, secret, but I'll do my best to find something." He leads Upwelling off into the shelves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to make any sort of checks to find some books for Upwelling?
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

2. - Top - End - #182

{OOC: Considering how big of an issue it is, you should easily be able to find a book for Upwelling, which covers the basic public knowledge about Warforged history.

Originally Created by Merrix d'Cannith, perfected by his son, Aaren d'Cannith. Built as Soldiers for the last war.

If you want to aid him by doing research about the technical details involved in the warforged creation process, that will be more difficult.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-12-23 at 05:30 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Shaerdon

{OOC- Sorry for being out, stuff has been a little busy for a while}

After Zag'rat does some identifying of the BLade Shaerdon grabbed off of Saber, Shaerdon turns to Zag'rat.

"That would explain the reason why that 'forged was so confident in his abilities. If you can figure out what exactly makes this blade special, I would greatly appreciate it."
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

After four hours have past and Garrock still has not returned, Zag'Rat decides that he will take the time now to identify both the sword and the small metal rod.

"Well, seeing as there isnt much else to do I'm going to determine the properties of these items while we wait. You never know when we may need their properties. Please do not disturb me during the process."

Hour 1 = Identify on sword

Hour 2 = Identify on rod

5. - Top - End - #185

Zagrat determines that the sword is a +1 longsword. The rod with a sapphire is actually a keycharm. Keycharms are magical devices used by House Kundarak, in conjunction with the powers granted by their dragonmarks. When a member with the Mark of Warding casts alarm, Arcane Lock, explosive runes, or fire trap spell with his dragonmark, he can invest ownership of the spell into a keycharm. Whoever holds teh charm is able to bypass the spell effects.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-12-23 at 11:06 PM.
    The Tangled Web

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

After some time has passed and the artificer has spent an hour each examining the two items, he nods to himself thoughtfully and turns his attention back to his companions.

Handing the sword back to Shaerdon and the rod to Za, he attempts to explain their properties,

"The sword has been given a basic enchantment to help it strike more accurately and slice its targets better. The rod is something very interesting though. It is actually a keycharm, which are magical devices used by House Kundarak. When a member with the Mark of Warding casts alarm, Arcane Lock, explosive runes, or fire trap spell with his dragonmark, he can invest ownership of the spell into a keycharm. Whoever holds the charm is able to bypass the spell effects."

He taps a metallic finger against his temple and offers a theory,

"Perhaps we are meant to barter this with someone from that house, or more likely our benefactor expects there to be certain such wards in our way at some point and this will let us bypass them."

As he watches Za put the rod back into the haversack, he says one last thing,

"Oh, and I do believe those amber potions look exactly like the ones we found in the undercity, the healing potions. I would think they would hold some magic, but I was unable to sense any. Perhaps my findings were wrong, it may indeed be best if Upwelling were to cast a spell to verify my findings regarding the magic on the rest of the items, namely Saber's cloak and backpack. And then we can determine if these potions are magical and if so, it should be safe to assume they hold the same healing properties."

Talking about the undercity, Zag'Rat realises that Upwelling was not with them, and to further pass the time he begins describing their previous venture beneath Sharn proper on Lady d'Vown's errand. (feel free to read the other thread for details)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    "Or maybe it's already the key to something we need to get to." Za suggests when Zag'rat explains the odd rod's purpose. "Hm...we're gonna need travel papers unless that credit letter covers those too..." She murmurs to herself.

[ooc]fillerfillerfillerfiller.[/ooc]
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

8. - Top - End - #188

{OOC: Azreal and Sheardon each take a -100 XP penalty for not posting.
    Garrock and Upwelling each gave notification of absence.}
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Oh bother, ok fine -200 so far for me.

Shaerdon

Taking the sword back from Zag'rat, Shaerdon marvels at the blade.
    "Thank you Zag'rat, this is truly a marvelous blade. I have a feeling this is going to become one of my best friends."
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

10. - Top - End - #190

Arzeal

sits around for another few hours as everyone else does what they do

Spoiler
    Show
    bah penalty : p
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

11. - Top - End - #191

Morgrave Library

Garrock finishes his research late in the evening, and Upwelling keeps to himself, mostly reading the book provided by Garrock about the history of the Warforged race.

Most everyone else is bored for the duration, and fights it off either by discussing their plans for the future, the mission from Lady Elaydren, or just finding a book to read from the library's vast supplies. In Azreal's case, perhaps a picture book from the children's section, since he's illiterate.

Finally, one of the Library attendants comes to inform you that the library is about to close for the night, and you will need to vacate the premises.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-12-26 at 01:00 PM.
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Upwelling tries to understand both streams of information simultaneously, and after a while, when he thinks he has the gist of Warforged, he closes the books and gives the other's recounting his full and undivided attention. When the library matron comes, he packs up and gets ready to move out.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

13. - Top - End - #193

Garrock

Garrock follows the library attendant back into the room. "I'm finished here for tonight- let's go." He leaves the library and heads back to his room. On the way, he explains what he found to the others.
    "I found nothing on Whitehearth. Not a single mention. Nobody's even heard of it." He sighs. "Darguun, there was lots of information on, but I don't think much of it will be inportant to us. It used to be part of Cyre, but it wasn't touched on the day of mourning. It's ruled and populated by goblins, so we'll have to be careful there. It used to be part of a massive Hobgoblin Empire called the Dhakanni Empire, before humans even came to this continent. Fascinating actually, the Dhakaani, but not particularly important to us."
    "The Mournlands... there's not much on them either. It was once Cyre. Something happened, and everyone died. Now it's just ruins and dead things."

When everyone reaches his room, he opens the door and steps in. "There should be room on the floor for everyone if they want it. Just move the books and papers. If you want somewhere better to sleep, you'll have to find it yourself," He says, then climbs into bed and immediately falls asleep.

14. - Top - End - #194

{OOC: I'm going to assume that everyone is going to be staying with Garrock. Anyone who wishes to find other accomodations, feel free to post as such.}

Garrock's Home

The group settles down for some much needed rest. Those who need sleep do so. Others meditate in a trance, or simply stand vigil.

The night passes uneventfully, without attack. Morning comes and everyone wakes up refreshed. For once, the day isn't a wet one, although the gloomy clouds hang overhead.
    The Tangled Web

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

During the night, Upwelling works to repair his shirt as best he can, using the fine awls in his weaponsmithing tools as impromptu needles and pins. Once his shirt is fixed (taking a 20), he goes and repairs Za's clothing and gear while she sleeps, then moves on to the next, and the next, even going up to Za'grat at one point and asking "Mind if I check over your weaponry?" Pulling a whetstone from his belt pouch he carefully, and as quietly as possible sharpens everyone's weaponry, even sharpening individual crossbow bolts. He also does the requisitioned scan, and gives Za'grat the information requested, all that he would know from Detect Magic for 3+ rounds on all items. Before everyone rests, he goes over each and every party member, dropping a cure minor for little scrapes, and expending the bulk of his divine energies before the sun rises, and he prays to renew them. As the sun first begins to rise, he folds his legs to sit crosslegged and matching all three 'fingers' tip to tip he concentrates and attempting to fold the power of the divine within him, greets Onatar with the rising sun to regain his magics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doing prepared spells on sheet.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2007-12-26 at 06:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Upon reaching Garrock's room, Zag'Rat decides to use the last of his energies to fulfill Za's earlier request. Taking the magical bag from her, he spends an hour investigating it's properties.

Cast Identify on the haversack.

Once his infusion is finished, he will explain all the properties of the bag. When asked, he will hand over his heavy mace to his fellow 'forged and offer his thanks.

Not needing sleep perse, he still needs time to recuperate the energies he uses to fuel his infusions and he stands motionless in a corner, out of the way, for most of the night.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Upwelling checks over the mace, weighing the balance, flicking the flanges to see how solid they are as well as giving it a few swings to see how it carries. After tinkering with it slightly, Upwelling gives it back to Za'grat and goes into a similar inert state as he calms his mind for the enlightened touch of Onatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    CraftWeaponry - (1d20+6)[22] If there's anything Upwelling can do to make it a more effective weapon, he does it.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2007-12-27 at 12:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    Za thanks Zag'rat, then curls up on the floor and waits for Arzeal to go to sleep. Once she's sure he's asleep, she explains to Upwelling "Just in case you didn't realize, Arzeal's an idiot. I don't say it to his face because...well, Zag'rat told you what happened the first time we fought Saber. And what happened the first time we got attacked. And the second time. And you saw what he did to Saber this time. Anyway, from what I know, the Host would probably rather you don't hold what he said against him."

[ooc]In case you didn't read it, Saber took Arzeal out with a flaming crossbow bolt, and the group almost died. Zag'rat may or may not have omitted Za's prayer to the Fury and the Keeper, both of whom she only reveres out of fear and only invoked because she honestly thought she was going to die.

Also, Stupnick, insert the standard "this is my character's thoughts about your character, not my thoughts about you" disclaimer here.[/ooc]
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

19. - Top - End - #199

Arzeal

upon reaching a safe place for the night Arzeal get's ready for bed, Seeing Upwelling sharpening and cleaning himself and everyone's weapons, Arzeal get's the brilliant idea to clean and polish his greatclub.

He get's some water and a rag, and begins to clean and polish it.

After about 30 minutes Arzeal get's frustrated and rolls over going to sleep complaining

Hrm, i must really not be good at this whole taking care of your weapons things.

Hey Upwelling, if you can, i wasn't able to get my Greatclub able to shine or sharpen like you were with those weapons. Not sure what i need to do to keep it in top working order, can you take a look at it.

And with that Azreal goes to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    no worries Winged. he's kinda slow, and a little on the well stupid side. 6int will do that to ya... he's not always stupid, just doesn't realize what he says and how it effects others.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Hefting and swinging the greatclub a bit, Upwelling finally puts it down, and taking out his tools begins to pick and scrape at it to remove bits of flesh embedded in the cracks in the wood. After cleaning it out, he takes a small bit of cloth, and begins polishing it back and forth as fast as he can certainly control, working to maximize efficiency by occasionally rubbing the greatclub against the pad of cloth as he rubs the cloth against the greatclub until he feels it's as good as he can get it. If there are any protrusions sticking from it (IE: Nails) Upwelling cleans the rust off them, and sharpens them as well.

21. - Top - End - #201

Morning, Garrock's Room

Morning comes. According to the calendar, today is Zor, the 19th, in the month of Therendor, in the year 998 YK.

The sun has barely begin to illuminate the city when there is a loud banging on the door accompanied by shouting. "Garrock! Garrock! Wake up! Open the door! Garrrooock!!!!"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-12-27 at 05:42 PM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #202

Arzeal

Startled awake, Arzeal grabs his greatclub and brandishes it at the door. After a few seconds, he looks at it, and get's completely distracted.

Arzeal sits cross legged on the floor infront of the door examining his newly polished and cleaned great club.

Wow, you do some good work.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Za

Perhaps wanting to give Garrock time to study his spellbook, or wanting practice, or even out of habit, Za takes her scholarly friend's shape, opens the door a bit(not enough to let anyone see the real Garrock's other guests), and puts her head where the person knocking can see. "Why, precisely, did you feel it necessary to awaken me at this ungodly hour?" She asks, imitating Garrock's voice perfectly, though he might be less cranky in the morning than her act would suggest, and she's definitely exaggerating his tendency to occasionally use more complicated vocabulary than she does.

[ooc]Disguise - (1d20+16)[30] She may or may not get any kind of bonus for taking a shape she's used to.[/ooc]

24. - Top - End - #204

Garrock's Room

An overwieght scholarly man pushes the door open wider, and forces his way into the room. You can see that many people are up and moving about the halls at this early hour. "Haven't you heard, old fellow? Kythri! Its become coterminous overnight! And only 10 days away from the coterminous phase of Irian too! Everyone from the planar department is up in arms over it! And who knows how long it will last before... Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you had company." he says as he notices other people in the room. He hasn't seemed to notice that there are two Garrocks yet as he mostly focuses on the rather large shifter that is awefully close. "Should I come back another time?"
    The Tangled Web

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    "Just a point of curiosity, but how would Garrock know about something that happened overnight when you just woke everyone in this room except for Upwelling up?" Za asks, turning back to her real shape.

26. - Top - End - #206

Garrock

Garrock wakes up just in time to see Za transform back into herself. He falls out of bed with a small "oof," then pulls himself up. "What's going on?" he asks sleeply, his eyes still half closed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I recognize the man?

27. - Top - End - #207

Garrock's Room

Garrock recognizes him as Ostun Fowurz, one of the professors from the university.

Ostun looks taken aback when Za makes her transformation. "Great Bearded Goats! Garrock! Whats the meaning of this? Did you know this changeling was imitating you?!?"
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Upwelling

Rising to give lie to the idea that he might just be a statue of sorts, Upwelling takes a step forward and offers a three finger'd handshake saying "You did forcibly intrude into his room. May I ask your name? I am Upwelling. Could you please explain in laymen's terms what just occured that has caused such an uproar?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Za
    "Of course he didn't. I told you, you just woke us all up." Za says to the fat human. "I only turned into him to try and let him get a bit more sleep."

[ooc]Also, if you'd like to understand what he's saying:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kythri is the plane of chaos, which becomes aligned with Eberron at random intervals and exerts no influence apart from a superstition that it heralds conflict. So, he basicly woke us up for no good reason.
    [/ooc]

30. - Top - End - #210

Ostun Fowurz

Ostun reluctantly shakes Upwelling's hand and replies "Sorry, but I only give lectures to students. I'm afraid you'll have to pay tuition. Garrock can explain it if you like.

I can see you are all involved with something, so I'll take my leave."
    He backs away to the door and exits, assuming no one stops him.
    The Tangled Web