Charles Denningham Cloistered Cleric >> Narazil

Aidan Royne Sorcerer >> Steward

The Dearly Departed:

Ayaki - Rogue/wizard >> Faithdreamer
    Died from Rectal Cancer

Malachai - Beguiler >> Jael_Darkwood
    Retired to become a mime.

Melchor Deschain - Ranger >> Inigo Montoya
    Died from attempting to cheat and failing miserably.

Reynoldo Estebar - Monk >> Kryoswolf
    Suicide due to depression.

Thresher - Fighter >> TonBerryKing
    Lost his connection to the matrix.

Venthryl - Ranger/Wizard (Evoker) >> Diarmuid
    Heart cancer.

Refa Osten - Rogue >> The Bushranger
    Killed by a "blood god" dwarf

Morosorm Asha - Sorcerer >> Alton
    One-shotted by a "blood god" dwarf

Alexander Nasheed - Barbarian/Fighter >> HempRope
    Killed in battle with the undead.

Emerik D'Averon - Fighter/cleric >> Darkantra
    Retired back to the Church of Kord.

-- 3 additional members also fell in the campaign, however their contributions (# of posts) were so pathetically low their characters do not deserve names, beyond mere statistics.

A link to our OOC thread
    Last edited by Zjackrum; 2009-11-16 at 12:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Da'mall

Corsand.

A trading hub for the Kalo Empire, though only recently. Conquered by his Greatness Emperor Jarakata Kalo I in the 56th year of the Kalo Empire, Corsand has long since belonged to the country of Morienn, Corsand's southern neighbour. As a trading hub for the newly dubbed 'Kalo River,' the sprawling city is a marketplace of incoming and outgoing goods that the independents have capitalized on.
    The war has ground to a halt. Corsand and Morienn are at an empass. With the Morienn navy still on campaign and the Corsand navy in drydock, both countries have been given a respite. The cold is approaching again, marking the first year for Kalo-controlled Corsand.
    The summer sun has set, and the snow and wind are on the rise. Imperial news and rumormongers would have us believe the time has come to hibernate for the winter. As so often happens, the rumours are not always true.

The sign above the Welcome Stranger tavern is a recently painted portrait of a smiling, waving traveler complete with walking stick and pointed adventurer's hat. It blows gently in the wind, occasionally creaking against the sign post.
    Like so many taverns before it, the Welcome Stranger has both its good and bad. The fireplace roars with the crackle and heat of a well-tended fire, while the booths in the corners offer silence and shadows from which to scheme. It is quiet, considering the time of day. The innkeeper nods at you with friendly smile followed by a raised eyebrow, wondering whether to call the bouncers.
    (Cue the Group Leader)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton Silvari

The floppy boots, the absurdly outsized hat and the cape that flutters in the absence of any outside encouragement - all announce the appearance of Mousequeton Silvari, called Mouse his dearest friends, his firmest enemies, and very few people in between. Largely because most of the people in between have never noticed the halfling.

Pausing outside the tavern to smile at his five tenacious and streetwise companions, Mouse smiles.

Ah, the Stranger. Haven't been here since midsummer's celebrations, when Sergeant Halbeen got drunk and made a pass at the old sign. It was never the same after that. Come to think of it, neither was he.

Gentlemen and dear lady, I have a good feeling about tonight.

Mouse pulls the door open, brandishing his hat like a war fan as he bows to the precocious and brilliant Ayaki.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor Deschain

Melchor Deschain, former bounty hunter, listened with some amusement to the tale being told by...What was his name? Mousequeton, that was it, Mousequeton Silvari. A smile touched at Melchor lips. This halfling, despite being a little pompous, would be a good ally. Besides, Mousequeton had contacts with the guards in the city, and Melchor needed those contacts to get some bounties.

Melchor was not so sure about the other people in this group, but who was he to judge? He would find out more about the when the time came. He turned to face Mousequeton as the halfling opened the door.

If your story is true my friend, I would like to hear more about this Sergeant. He sounds like a man who knows how to have a good time.
    Melchor stands to the side to let the young girl inside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

Malachai moves slightly, drawing your eye to the shadowy corner.
    "Mosqueton... Interesting."

His hand moves into the light, and, as he sips from his wine, you get a glimpse of his face. You see a small secret smile, giving him the appearance of someone with a secret he finds highly amusing.

"I'm Malachai. The wine here is... passable."

He stands idly outside the bar, sipping from what is obviously a glass of wine from inside the bar. From the few shadowy glimpses, he is tall, deeply tanned, and human. Otherwise, you have little clue.

"Well met all."

He gives a sardonic bow.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik chuckles at the story and the thin man's response, this group might be as interesting as the talkative halfling promissed. His days at the church had been growing more boring as each went by and it had been a relief to be offered a place in a new group. Vague as Mousequeton's words had been he'd offered a promise of tough fights and good adventure, two things that Emerik never passed up. Though he didn't know who the others were, or their goals he'd take their measure over an ale.

"I have to agree with you there, friend. Any man that can take a pass at that," he points at the sign, "Sounds like a man with many stories to his name."

Noticing the man leaning by the door, Emerik turns to him while stepping aside for the girl.

"Well met Malachai, though I'm less concerned about the wine than I am about the ale, and the company."

Smiling, Emerik forms a fist over the symbol of Kord on his armor and returns the bow.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-15 at 02:21 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Ayaki

She gave shy smiles for everyone, staring at her feet and slipping by to find an unobtrusive corner seat where she wouldn’t be picked on. It was the only chair where there was a sleek looking, scarred and muscled black alley cat. Insidious, scary shadows didn’t leap out and rend the clientele with shivering windy fingers but the cat’s glare made up for that. She ran a soothing hand along his head until he rolled over to watch the ceiling, listless as could be. Cool and collected, airy as an artwork but watching everything just once Ayaki didn’t reminisce all the tales Mouse told taller than he was. Trying to unravel the story about how they hadn’t delivered her meal yet was getting steamed over faint nothing she ate earlier.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Spoiler
    Show
    Going on the assumption that the six of us have at least met before. Sound okay to everyone?

Mouse sweeps into the room. His voice is designed to carry.

Passable, Malachai? The wine is passable? Then by all means, we should get to work passing some! Barkeep! Two pitchers for my new friends, over at that table there.

Giving the vicious-looking cat a wide berth - lace tears SO easily - Mouse settles at Ayaki's table and glances around the room, guaging the clientele, both for their interest in an excellent ballad or their potential as a source of other great stories.

Ah, Emerik. He did have such grand stories. Seventeen stone if he was a feather, and still managed to climb up to a third-story window because we'd convinced him that these red-headed twins...

Mercifully, the story is cut short by the arrival of the wine.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen Ardech

Examining his surroundings, Ralen follows the halfling to the tavern door. The group seems okay, he thinks, for the time being. As they wait for the young girl to pass first, Ralen takes his time to examine the man called Malachai, for he seems like an... interesting character at the least. If he comes to eye contact with him, he'll produce a friendly smile, but he notes to himself to keep watchful, as a usual precaution.

"Welcome Stranger."
    he repeats the name of the tavern. "So they can save up the greeting. Nice thought."

Spoiler
    Show
    It is fine by me.

Oh, and consider this post as sent after Darkantra's. I had some technical difficulties.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-15 at 08:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik sits heavily at his seat and grasps the wine in a gauntleted hand, sipping it and frowning just a little. Wine has alcohal, sure, but doesn't exactly suit his tastes.

"Could you bring me the house ale, dear?" he asks of the serving girl, who deftly whisks away the silver coin that he just held up, "And does anyone else want some food? I know for a fact that I'm hungry enough to eat kobold stew!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, if we've met briefly but don't know that much about each other then that cuts down on intro time
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-15 at 04:39 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, I don't mind.

Melchor

Melchor turned around at the sound of Malachai's voice, more then a little startled. He was bit ashamed as well for not seeing him.

I must be slipping in my old age.

Melchor pushed these thoughts from his mind and sat down. He sat near the middle of the table, and looked at his fellow companions. They were all in various states of raggedness, with the youg woman being the most ragged. Melchor felt a little sorry for the girl, and wondered why she had been brought here. That reminded him of what he was going to say, and when the wine arrived, Melchor sipped at his glass and then spoke to Mousequeton.Thank-you for ordering the drinks Mousqueton. I am also very hungry, maybe not for kobold stew, but perhaps some meat stew, with a little bread. After the meal, we can begin to discuss business.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

With a smirk, he looks at Emerik and Melchor. "Kobold stew, you say? Well, you can't be sure without trying it."

"And yes, thanks for the wine, Mousequeton." he briefly raises his glass to him out of respect.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-15 at 05:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Evening gentlemen." Lars, the tavern owner lumbered over. It seemed strange that the tavern keeper himself would debase himself to the point of delivering drinks, especially considering that one of the serving girls had happily accepted the 'tip.'
    "Lass." Lars added, taking note of Ayaki.
    "Father." Lars inclined his head to Emerik.
    "Mouse, can I have a word with you?" He motions slightly off to the side.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Mousequeton is pleased to raise a glass with the others.

I have typically lived by the philosophy of trying everything once, and twice if it doesn't cause a rash. However, I might be tempted to make an exception for Kobold Stew.

Lars' offer draws a nod from Mouse, who immediately slides down off his chair. He shrugs and winks at his colleagues as he steps away.

I swear, Lars. If it's about those stuffed pheasants, it was the dog who took them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

Malachai slips into the room, immediately heading for a corner. A crooked finger catches the eye of a barmaid, and he silently points at his wine. He appears to instinctively cling to shadow, and once more, all you see is a small secret smile, and deeply tanned skin. Finding a corner seat near the group, he sits.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-11-15 at 08:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mouse

The halfling is uncharacteristically sombre as he returns to the table, and absent-mindedly brushes his belt pouch once. In response to inquisitive looks, he shakes his head slightly.

Not here. Maybe in a private room.

Charging his small goblet with wine, Mouse raises his hand in toast.

To future business opportunities, and a future in which to discuss them.

17. - Top - End - #17

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik catches the signal and brings his own goblet up to match the toast, though his smile fades somewhat at the boding words.

"Aye, that I will toast to."

He sips the wine and settles back into his chair, waiting on what Mouse does next. Something is obviously troubling him, though it'd be best to see how he plays it before doing anything. He thinks.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

Malachai silently raises his glass, and holds it... The light briefly reflects off the glass. You see his usual expression, a small amused smile... But his eyes are withdrawn and calculating.

"To the future."

He puts his glass down without sipping.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Ayaki

Glasses half full or half empty weren’t always the only sorts of crystal at market, ne?
    The chalice where nothing was left ever lost a space where something warm sought those that needed warming, at the edge of a candle’s flame so to speak the warmth of her hands skimmed across the cool glass decanter and lifted it like a lotus on the pond. She crept over to Malachi’s seat with one hand near the belly of the spout soon to start spouting more wine, the fingers of her other hand under the handle, Ayaki poured until the gentlest ripples crested over the brim and wine began drying on the table.

“Forgiveness, please.” Soft voice too low, not a whisper though. “I see now Master’s glass was already full I’ll find something to clean that spill.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Holding his already raised glass, Ralen gives off a faint smile.

"To future, and what it brings with."

Though he notices that the halfling's mood has changed -probably has something to do with what that man has said- Ralen doesn't make any comments, and lowers his glass to take a sip.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-16 at 02:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor

To the future.

Melchor sips his wine and then sets his glass down. He had noticed that the halfling looked pale, and Melchor was slightly unnerved by this. What could make Mousequeton nervous? Whatever it was, it could wait. Melchor sat back and waited for Mouseqeuton to continue speaking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

"Said unknowing... Yet so clearly true.... You have claimed my glass, lady..................................... and yet still...........
    I know you not."

While he speaks, he puts out one hand, he softly lays it upon Ayaki's, upon the pitcher which she holds. The other comes from beneath his robe, holding an empty glass. With a soft pressure, he causes Ayaki to pour him half a glass of wine. Ayaki alone gets a look at his face, while his hood blocks the view for the rest of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    Malachai's face is dry and deeply tanned, with a bright white scar which runs from under his hair on the left side of his head, just in front of the ear, and ends at the corner of his jaw. His face is calm and unlined. If it weren't for the scar, the deeply thoughtful eyes, and the mocking smile, he would fit into any crowd without notice.

"I am Malachai. Enjoy the wine... and the Seat."

Picking up his half full glass, he stands. Shifting a foot to the left, he is once more entirely hidden under his cloak, showing once more, nothing but a small laughing smile.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-11-16 at 07:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Ayaki

Watch the glass till you understand what the cool wine writes on your lips, an elusive voice imagined absent but even so, words weren’t the only way sometimes. Malachi’s voice was a feeling, words in a sound that made her smile. The frosty decanter and the window glass were just perfect for him. His eyes didn’t have to be very loud at all.
    She set the decanter down and swept the goblet into her hand as she turned toward the counter, bowing very slightly to the man with his secret smile. The food and the wine might be getting cold and warm but on her way to see about her order Ayaki made sure the spill was curiously absent.

For the Arcane
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation has been used to clean the spill if anyone can discern magic use.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2007-11-17 at 04:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

The former guardsman turns to glance around the room, and then back at Ayaki and Malachai. The two were sweet together...or, arguably, were a walking barrel of black powder, given the current sentiments against arcane magic. He'd had to pass himself off as a priest once or twice just in order to get the job at hand done.

Hmm. Maybe they could find some robes for this Ayaki...

As the food arrives, and the decanters empty, Mouse tells a few stories of his time on the stage. Several seem to centre on an unnamed Cardinal and a showgirl of his acquaintance. Still, somehow, his heart isn't in it. Towards the end of the fine meal, Mouse leans in close, and speaks softly.

There may be a profitable business opportunity in the offing, but this seems an inappropriate location in which to discuss it. My lodgings are on the other side of town, and the ceilings are...perhaps not so convenient for those such as Father Emerik. But if none of you live closer, I'd be more than happy to play host. I believe I still have a smoked ham and some bread set aside.

He holds out a hand, inviting alternatives.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Ralen throws a look at Ayaki, and shows a reassuring smile. He then turns to Mouse and listens to his stories, all the while wondering how much of them is made up and how much of them is just exaggerated.

He nods after Mouse finishes. "I don't see why not." he returns just as softly.

"Oh, and Mouse, I need to speak to you in private." he adds in whisper. "It won't take too long, but it's important."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Finishing off his goblet, Mouse nods.

Of course. This way.

Weaving quickly into a back room, Mouse glances around to find a secluded corner, and hops up to stand onto a chair, so as to face the pale, slender man.

What's up?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor

Though the stories were amusing, Melchor wished the Halfling would hurry up. He watched the girl and Malachai talk and saw with some amazement that the wine she had spilled on her self was cleaned up.

She can do something out of the ordinary. That could be a problem...

Looking back at Mousequeton and hearing what he said about a "business opportunity" Melchor heart gave a great leap. it may not be enough money to cover all their expences, but it would be enough for a while.

I'll go to your house, I've been in some...let's call them cramped quarters before. Before we set off, I must retrieve my hawk. It will not take long, and I'll do it after everyone is ready to leave.

Melchor offers his best smile, and begins to stand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Ralen closes up to the halfling and whispers something to him for a while.

After he is done, he continues to look at Mouse with a serious face.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-17 at 06:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mouse

Mouse whispers back briefly, smiles, and claps the man on the shoulder. He hops off the chair he's standing on and back to the others. Seeing Melchor already starting to stand, he nods to the others, and heads over to the bar to settle up. Soon, Mouse is also ready to depart.

30. - Top - End - #30

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik laughs along with the others to Mouse's tales though he doesn't drink as much as he normally would, just to keep his head clear. He notices the disapearance of the spill but just takes careful note of it. Once the halfling puts forth his proposal Emerik nods to it but frowns again as Ralen takes the halfling aside.

There are plenty of secrets in this group, and not all are what they seem.

"I have no problem with that my friend," he says as the halfling returns, "Lead on when you're ready."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show