Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Da'mall

1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Da'mall

Ayaki

“Oh, forgive me I was slow to realize you were keeping time in this way.”

Tap. Tap. Tap.

A long very tense silence stewed around barkeep and girl and the only thing she noticed was the sound of water droplets trickling in the clock on the counter. Dragging her feet back to the table she couldn’t stop thinking about freshly baked hot pastries being peeled off a dry pan. When she got there she couldn’t stop taking furtive glances at the platter in front of the nobleman at the next table with steamy vegetables, white rice with mushroom and a big box of chocolates on it. He wasn’t alone either, oh-no. That would be offensive to his refined sensibilities.

There was the parboiled finest cut beef sliced thinner than the newly christened perfectly cooked chicken glazed with something wonderful, cold seafood like that huge tiger shrimp ring trapping a tray of melted butter, cucumbers on a bed of broccoli holding buttered asparagus upright like food trees, tomatoes on three kinds of cheese sprinkled with garlic and basil topping a bread crown - those must’ve been the skewers for the yakitori she was making on the grill right in front of him – and they were made of candy!

Since her head was on the table she couldn’t see over those three big mountains of fluffy rice in three different flavours, she wasn’t sure if she could take much more. Mouse’s chair rasped across the floor. With a long, remorseful look back at that overflowing hundred tummy banquet for one Ayaki entrenched herself in a thick powder blue cloak, drew up the deep hood just enough for some of her hair to peek outside it, then went outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9] – Move Silently so people aren’t bothered
    (1d20+8)[20] – Politely Hiding and being unassuming

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mouse

[forgive me for zipping this forward.]

Outside the bar, Mouse glances around, ensures that all of his prospective partners have made it out, and plunges into the evening trade. He heads into the warehouse district,where the passers-by are fewer and take on a distinctly rougher quality, but is soon out again, onto a street where the the redolent odors of late-night baking, in preparation for the morning's activity to come, are already heavy in the air. Down an alley, and then a second, and...weren't they just at this intersection?...Onwards, behind the city's grand opera house,and into a deserted alley. A small door that could easily be mistaken for an external shed, complete with rusty old lock. A key slips into Mousequeton's hand, and the lock is open.

A trio of globes appear inside, floating in midair. They illuminate a short hallway littered with cloaks, boots, a moldy broom, and other sundries. Mouse bustles in.

Sorry again about the ceilings. This shouldn't take long.

The ceilings are indeed about 4' high,and there is a strong sense that they are not so much a ceiling as someone else's floor. However, that someone is, mercifully, not walking around at the moment. Mouse leads the group into an odd-shaped sitting room, with a pair of thick pillars in the middle, with blankets and halfling-sized chairs, and more than a couple empty wine bottles, scattered about. He waves a bit uncertainly at the blankets, shrugging a bit.

We don't often entertain so many esteemed guests and colleagues. You'll have to forgive. Good help is so hard to find...especially when one neglects to pay.

Once all six are settled into the room, Mousequeton draws a small rolled-up note, sealed with red ink bearing the impression of a mailed fist. He sets it on the ground in front of him.

I've known Lars for years. A decent fellow, not overly brave, not overly smart, but pretty reliable, so I trust him. He tells me this was dropped off for me today, by someone who was expecting me to have five companions.

He glances at Ralen and pauses.

Now, that messenger also intimated that one of the five of you would be a Kalo Witness, a spy.

His voice loses its boisterous tone, and the small man is suddenly dead serious.

Now, I was doing most of the talking over dinner, and besides, if I was the spy, I'd have just taken the note and left without you, so you already know a bit about me. So, before I go any further with this prospectively delightful little caper, I need each of you to shed the charming "enigmatic stranger" routine, and tell us all a bit about yourself, where you come from, and what you can do.

He smiles, but not in a reassuring way.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[21] Sense motive to detect evasions and lies.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik had a great deal of difficulty getting into the halfling's home, whacking his head more than a few times trying to maneuver himself to a spot to sit. He looks at the globes of light with interest, Mouse obviously isn't afraid to associate himself with magic. After listening to Mouse's words Emerik lets out a sigh.

I hate it when politics get in the way of a good time.

“Very well Mouse,” Emerik shuffles a bit on one of the blankets and faces the whole group, “My name is Emerik D’Averon, I became a mercenary at a young age after my village was burned by orcish raiders. I fought, bled, and killed for several years as part of the Red Thorn company until I met my teacher in the ways of Kord,” Emerik smiles at the memory, “He was a great warrior and taught me much that I did not know about myself. I became a cleric then, and then fought only for the growth of my skill and good goals.”

“As for what I do, I am simply a warrior priest and nothing more. I love battle and toil, testing my strength against others and the thrill of an adventure. I have no care for politics, or preference for either Kalo or Morien,” his eyes sweep the others, “so if I have to stomp on a politician's feet during this caper of yours Mouse, then so be it. As Kord wills I walk my own path.”

"As for being a spy, I do not care for Kalo's intolerance of the arcane, for it could all to easily turn into intolerance of the divine. I wouldn't make a good spy anyways, so no, I am not the one."

That said Emerik tries to make himself more comfortable on the floor, ready to listen to the stories of the rest of the group. While doing this though, he tries to take the measure of the others while they are speaking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+2)[3]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-18 at 04:49 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

"A spy..."

His eyes glint in the light as he looks around the group. His smile stays, but seems suddenly more like an animal baring its teeth in menace.

"I only recently came to this town... and though I have the skills required... I am definitely not a spy. Any government with such intolerance of the arcane is too foolish for me to support."

His eyes steady on those of Mosqueton, he gestures and subvocalizes. 4 new magic lights spring into being, moving from Malachai's hand towards the ceiling, and hovering in front of the group.

While the others speak, Malachai will study them intently, checking for the minute signs of deceit.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]Sense Motive 1d20+7[/roll]guess its not letting me roll 'cause i added it in an edit.... so heres where i rolled instead http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...23#post3539223
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-11-18 at 04:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Ralen nearly crawled all the way through the entrance to the chairs, trying not to complain. His eyes seem to play on many things surrounding him, both objects and people, but he listens the speakers carefully until they are finished.

He clears his throat and looks at the group.

"I am Ralen Ardech, and I believe you are sensible enough people to not act foolishly when I say that I am a mage. I specialize in divination, that's a branch for the revealing and gathering of information, if that helps you understand." he adds after throwing an odd look at the group.

"Keeping it simple, I spent most of my life as an apprentice, working for a mage obviously much powerful than me. But he left me weeks ago, saying that I no longer needed a master. So I started searching for work that might need my... kind of expertise. I did some odd jobs here and there, but nothing too serious. I was spending a few days off when Mouse found and hired me."

He throws a look at Mouse as his voice drops to a serious tone.

"As I lived rather secluded for the majority of my life, I must admit that I have little knowledge on the politics of the lands, much less to be a spy."

Ralen hesitates a moment as if deciding to say something or not. Apparently he decides to do the former. His tone becomes even more serious, on the edge of being grim.

"But, what is really revealed to me is, that the package Mouse has received contains a trap, probably deadly enough to present all of us a threat. If there is a person in this group which has good knowledge on such traps, he and only he should try to disarm and open it. If my knowledge is correct, this package has been sent by an opposing group, to wipe us out for reasons yet unknown to me."

With that said, Ralen leans back, but the look on his face doesn't change. He now listens to what others have to say.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+5)[20]
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-18 at 04:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor

Melchor begins to speak.

My name is Melchor Deschain, a ranger and a bounty hunter. I was born in the Elven lands, and I was raised by my father. I spent most of my career hunting decent people who owed money to the wrong people.

He smiles at this, without any warmth.

A few years ago I met the love of my life and we have been engaged to marry for a little over a year now. The only reason I'm here is to get contacts to help me jump start my legal bounty hunting up. I need around twelve thousand gold pieces to help support myself and my wife.

I do not agree with the attitude directed at magic, but what can you do? All kings wish to become immortal, and what better way then by making a law that forbids people from making a honest living?

I am not a complex man. If i were the spy, I'd have sent the message off on David, my hawk, that the girl could be a wizard and they should also pick Mousequeton for consorting with her. But I didn't.

Melchor finishes speaking and looks around the room, almost dareing some one to contradict him.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[11]
    for sense motive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Fishing under his chair for a bottle that was still corked, Mouse fished out the stopper with an experienced flick of a small knife. He hands off the bottle to Melchor for a swig.

My congratulations on your engagement, sir. Love is indeed the most beautiful thing in the world. And thanks to all of you, gentlemen, for your candour. From my time in the guard, I learned that the men who didn't trust their fellows made more mistakes, got hurt more...were worse guardsman. It just added too many things to think about.

He turns casually to Ayaki and smiles invitingly.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Ayaki

There was something yucky about the way he always did that, she was hard pressed not to compare it to the state of his humble hole. There were rotten shoes, mouldy sheets, fungus carpets and renovated cobwebs. It was why she was standing staring back at him with eyelids ready to close so she could faint.

Blink.

Blink.

“May I please have some cheese?”

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Listen Check:

Mousequeton 1d20+6-> [5,6] = (11)
    Ayaki 1d20+4-> [10,4] = (14)
    Melchor 1d20+10-> [9,10] = (19)
    Emerik 1d20+2-> [13,2] = (15)
    Ralen 1d20+3-> [3,3] = (6)
    Malachai 1d20-1-> [1,-1] = (0)

Melchor motions the others to silence. Heeding the ranger's advice, you all pause and listen. Melchor motions towards the door.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Mousequeton is about to reply to the young lady's request for cheese, when Melchor's motion silences him. He rises silently, slipping a dagger from his boot as he does so, and watches the door intently.

11. - Top - End - #41

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik slowly unhitches his warhammer and shield, trying to position himself as well as he can, despite the impeding ceiling.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor

Melchor reaches for his bow and starts to notch an arrow. He looks at Mousequeton while he does this and motions towards the back of the room.

Is there a back door?

He asks this in a low voice, almost quiter then a whisper.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Mouse nods slowly in response to Melchor's question, but holds up his hands less than a foot apart, shrugging.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

"I can make us all invisible, if you'd want to avoid this."

Ralen offers this with a very low voice, while possibilities roam wildly in his mind. He tries to move silently to the rear of the group, being not the melee fighter that others may be.

15. - Top - End - #45

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik loops his warhammer around his wrist and begins to pray as softly as be dares, touching the holy symbol on his breastplate.

"Kord, bless your servant and his comrades in arms with a portion of your limitless courage."

As he finishes a wave of confidence touches each of his comrades in the room, they suddenly feel better able to deal with whatever threat has come. That done he gives them all an eager grin, and takes up his warhammer again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Emerik casts Bless, +1 to hit a +1 save vs fear effects for 3 minutes
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

Malachai waves his arms and gestures. The lights he summoned dissapear, as does he. [cast invis, dismiss dancing lights.]

Initiative (in case needed) : (1d20+2)[20]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Right about then Ayaki’s stomach started growling. “Does that mean I’m the spy?”

18. - Top - End - #48

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik nearly bumps his head on the ceiling for perhaps the tenth time as Ayaki speaks, I've got no room to swing in here, if we're attacked then I can't do much, he looks back to the others, noticing that Malachai has disappeared, Let's see if this group knows their tactics.

Emerik waves a hand back at Ayaki, motioning her to be silent. He points emphatically at himself, and then to door. Pointing again he motions for Melchor to get a bead on the door, but to Mouse and the others he mimicks a hand speaking and mouths the words, "Talk loudly."

He then begins moving towards the door hoping that the others caught on and to catch their shadow unnawares.

Spoiler
    Show
    Should the OOC thread by revived or should we start a new one just to cut down on the space that Initiative, attack and damage rolls take?
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-19 at 10:28 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Mouse nods to Emerik and clears his throat. The halfling quietly lights a candle lantern as he speaks. The lanterns he used to guide the five to this room wink out.

Ah, yes, Malachai. The privy is just down the hallway and to your right.

Now Ralen, I must take some exception to your implication that only the human voice is capable of being pleasing to the ear in all ranges. Folks are often convinced that, because of our size, we halflings are incapable of a decent baritone. This is slander of the highest order, I assure you. Allow me to demonstrate with this aria from The Rake of Rocquefort.

He begins an aria which starts in the tenor range but does indeed include some rumbling tones. The whole group feels their anxiety about the situation lessen slightly, and grow in confidence. [Inspiring courage to all.]

20. - Top - End - #50

Mousequeton Bluff check:
    1d20+9-> [2,9] = (11) >> success

After several moments, it becomes obvious that Mouse's rouse has worked. Whatever/whoever is still waiting outside the door, unaware that you know of their presence.

(when we begin combat, I'll roll initiative for everyone to save time on waiting for people to roll it themselves. All other stuff will be done here, so our IC thread looks important and long)
    Last edited by Zjackrum; 2007-11-20 at 09:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

When Mouse starts to sing, Ralen raises his hands to make some gestures in the air, accompanied by a several incomprehensible words that hide under the baritone, becoming virtually impossible to hear.

With the spell in effect, he focuses his will to the direction of the door, trying to sense the familiar vibrations of human minds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Thoughts

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Melchor

Nodding at Emerik, Melchor notches an arrow and steps towards the back of the room. He points his bow at the center of the door, ready to fire as soon as whoever is behind the door steps through.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action: Fire at the first enemy that comes through the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:

23. - Top - End - #53

Emerik D'Averon

Emerik takes up position next to the door and hefts his warhammer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action: Attack the first enemy to come into the room
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

An invisible presence says just barely loud enough to hear....

“I willl open it. Get ready.“

Spoiler
    Show
    to my knowledge the door was never locked. and if they arent expecting anything, thats a snazzy McFun suprise round. Malachai will open the door and move forward as a single action, casting Shock and Awe on those outside, before 5 foot stepping out of the doorway.

If they are suprised, spell takes affect, no saving throw, spell resistance works. Shock and Awe : 1 creature per level affected, no two of which can be more than 30 ft apart, 1 swift action, range 25+5 per 2 levls (35 feet), duration 1 round. Gives flat-footed creatures -10 to their next initiative check. Hehe. as flat-footed lasts until your first action... hehe.

As it is a swift spell, my other spell for this round will be charm person on anyone who looks like a rogue, or appears unnaffected by the shock&awe... in other words, someone immune to flat-footedness. DC for this is Will 16 +1 for spell focus enchantment, total Will save DC 17. If nobody fits the description, my action instead will be to move back into the room 30 ft. instead of the 5 foot step forward and out.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

Maintaining his brave baritone, Mouse slips his chair over onto its side and stands behind it, poised to throw.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

"Hold it." He hisses at the invisible voice that is Malachai.

"I'm trying to find out their number, plus if they have any mage with them." he continues with a very low voice. "Unless you don't feel that we need the reconnaissance."

"This will take less than half a minute." he adds, all the while concentrating on the spell.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-21 at 04:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Malachai

Malachai is about to swing into action when he hears his teammate speak. Instead of going through the door he stops by the door, readying an action to cast charm person on the first person who comes into the room. He is, of course, still invisible, so nobody sees anything happen.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Ralen relaxes slightly as he lets his focus die, and turns to Mouse.

"There is only one person out there... and I think you know each other. He is thinking about not interrupting your singing, and that you sang him an opera once when he interrupted you. I don't think he is a threat." Ralen says these again with a whisper, this time out of respect for the man outside.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2007-11-22 at 02:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mousequeton

The halfling relaxes a bit. He shrugs as he sings, indicating that the information is not enough for him to be sure. He gestures for the others to step back from the door, and he will prepare to crack it open to look.

30. - Top - End - #60

There is a soft knock at the door.
    "Mouse?" A small voice asks. "I'm sorry if i'm interrupting... Can I come in? It's important!"