New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Thrice-Blessed IC

Slissht continues to approach, cautiously but still without drawing her sword. Peace as well, stone clan. What happened her and what are you doing?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

"I came here on the surface to help mend the dream world of giantkind," the stone giant says, picking up another stone, placing it on the pillar in a very purposeful manner with obvious expertise. Drufi gives Slissht a look like "typical cryptic stone giants", rolling her eyes.

Echo and Slider sniff the air. "Humans were here until not too long ago," Echo lets Slissht know, Slider adding "Not much blood here."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

My associates smell human blood here...and tell me that there were humans here until only a short time ago. Care to explain that. And whats with the damn inukshuk?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

"Our gods are distant since the Second Sundering, frost clan. Giantkind is aimless, wasting away. But our god Skoraeus Stonebones speaks again. Thane Kayalithica reached Him, we saw Him answer. The dreams of giantkind are poisoned, nature out of balance. The small folk do not know what they are doing, their edifices spread across the bones of our past, they destroy, push away, unknowingly bring everything out of balance. We have gone to the surface, dismantle small folk buildings, bury what disturbs the natural order, and build nexi to help nature mend." The stone giant puts the last boulder on the pillar he was working on as he speaks. Looking around, he goes to a very specific spot to begin the next pillar, to continue the exact pattern.

"Some of the villagers attacked me, I defended myself as much as was needed. I do not blame them. They lash out at us because they do not want to let go of what they built, they do not understand what is happening, holding on to their favored keepsake as it drags all of us into the abyss." The stone giant continues building.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

And what happens after you are done here? Do you move on and destroy another village? I cant bring back this village, but I am not going to allow you to terrorize another one. Slissht is beginning to unlimber her sword.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

"It is my purpose to continue this work," the stone giant answers simply, stacking boulders.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Slissht isnt sure what pisses her off more, the cavalier attitude of the giant towards killing...or the fact that he is plainly ignoring her with his stupid statues. She's had just about enough of it, and theres only one way to deal with it. One well placed, swift kick of her powerful boot sends the first tower tumbling into a pile of rubble. Didnt you hear the park rangers rules, tourists are not allowed to build inukshuks.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

The stone giant finishes placing the boulder in his hands on the beginning pillar, before he turns around with a resigned sigh. "Would you like to kick over the other edifices as well."

Drufi seems quite done with the whole situation, Sėle and the winter wolves primarily watch the scene unfold.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Slissht's temper is now really ready to boil over. She walks over to stone giant, shoving over another tower as she passes by it, and grabs the stone giant by the shoulder. Without any of your stupid stone giant cryptic answers, did you kill all these villagers, are you going to do it again and again, and why the hell are you building these stupid towers. You killed them, so dont tell me you plan to honor them in any way. You kill them, they kill you, you kill more of them, they kill more of you, how is that going to solve anything? By the end of it, Shiver is shouting at him.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

"I attacked those that attacked me. Some of them died, some of them were wounded. When they fled, I let them go, I have no quarrel with them, just with what they build. And I have told you why I build these towers. Nature is out of balance, it needs help healing. The work must continue, as our god decrees it."

Sėle chimes in telepathically. "He seems convinced his task is vital, and I sense no deception, including that he only defended himself when attacked. Well, as far as one can describe it like that when the attacks were provoked by beginning to dismantle people's homes. Mistress Drufi informed me that stone giants generally do not harbor ill will towards 'small folk', staying out of people's way and expecting the same from them in return, and tend to live reclusive subterranean lives. However, I also sense no form of magic from the pattern these pillars were placed in, or the pillars themselves, not even interacting with leylines in some fashion. So... it may be the case that this stone giant is being deceived in regards to what his task is supposed to accomplish. Either by this Thane Kayalithica, or whatever is supposedly talking to her in the guise of her god."

Drufi chimes in, verbally. "Counter offer: one of us beats your tree-hugging bitch-ass in arm-wrestling, and once you inevitably lose, you screw off to your Thane to ask your crazy god how he could allow your holy mission getting stumped by a short frost giant if it's so damn important."

The stone giant already didn't look all that happy about Slissht getting in his face and obstructing his work, Drufi now adding additional insults, including responding to the stone giant slowly losing his patience with a smile while giving him the finger. Killing the stone giant to stop him seems viable, trying to goad him into actually accepting that bet seems to as well (Sėle asks whether cheating is allowed in that, out of curiosity), confronting may or may not also work.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

(telepathically to Sora)If we can goad him into the bet and you can do it surreptitiously, go ahead. I dont really want to kill him, just stop him from killing, and this isnt a matter of honor for me.

No point in challenging him Drufi, not only does he not have honor, he knows he's a loser.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Sėle answers with a simple affirmative.

"Yeeeaaah, poor guy might hurt his little fingies. Watching grown men bawl's always so heartbreaking, y'know," Drufi answers with crossed arms, glancing over to Slissht with faux dismay.

The stone giant breathes heavily in and out of his nose once, somehow managing to pull the corners of his mouth down further than anyone Slissht has ever met, his frown an impressively deep craggy little mountain range. "I accept your challenge," he says, clearly trying to maintain his composure. "If you win, I will cease my work and return to Deadstone Cleft to commune with my thane and the will of my god. However, if I win, not only will you cease to interrupt my work, you will assist me until it is done across the Savage Frontier, without question, speaking only when asked to." An athletic challenge (of sorts) appears to be right up the alley of the self-perfection-seeking stone giants.

"Ooh, boy's trying to show some backbone, how funny! You want to do the honors, or do I get to crush him?" Drufi asks Slissht.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

I will take him down Slissht isnt the size she was when she first left the clan but she has gained back almost all of her power and is confident as she moves a rock or two to improvise a table, and seats herself, waiting for the stone to do the same. If Sile intends to be a factor, shes ready for that as well.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

"Shame," Drufi says with a shrug, moving to the side of the improvised table. Positions are a bit uneven, the stone giant still several feet taller than Slissht, with his hand naturally also bigger than hers, but they settle in. "One match, no re-dos. Free hand grips the edge, no trying to sneak your main hand's grip up mid-match," Drufi says, the last bit more towards the stone giant to rankle him a bit more. Sėle is by Slissht's side, the giantess feeling strangely invigorated by her touch. Drufi places a hand on the gripping ones.

"Ready? Go!" Drufi releases her hand, and the match is on, Slissht feeling the strength of the stone giant. In terms of raw empiric power, Slissht has the upper hand, but the stone giant still has his superior size and mass, making up for the difference to some extent. Still, even beyond that wonderful feeling of elation given to Slissht by Sėle ever since she became a priestess that managed to summon reserves of strengths the giantess didn't even know she had, Sėle's touch and presence make Slissht feel like she is simply blessed with the greatest of fortunes... and the unspoken promise of an incredible night upon winning.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please give me a Strength ability check. Sėle's assistance and moral support grant a +5 luck bonus and a +4 morale bonus, so Slissht rolls with a total modifier of +21.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Slissht grits her teeth, putting everything she can into pushing the giant down

Spoiler: STR check
    Show
    (1d20+21)[35]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

The difference in size and mass is definitely felt, the stone giant pushing hard, and their kind is no stranger to making the most of their body mechanics and advantages.

However, all of that does not matter because after the initial push of the stone giant, Slissht pushes back, further fueled by Sėle, slams the stone giant's hand onto the table, and cracks the boulder to boot, part of it just blown off.

Drufi is unable to speak at the moment, due to a lasting fit of laughter and wheezing.

The stone giant looks suitably defeated and in disbelief, to the point where Sėle is able to get the location of this Deadstone Cleft out of him before he quickly goes in that direction, just in case it may come in handy later. Drufi's enduring laughing fit follows his swift departure.

"Congratulations, mistress. It appears we know the stone giants' plans in this brewing civil war of sorts now as well." Sėle looks to where the stone giant is leaving to. "You may or may not have sown the seeds of an unexpected popularity among stone giants."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I will be satisfied with them no longer nipping at our heels while we are attempting to take the fires and Storvald down. Hard enough to move up when you are being pulled down at the same time as you try to go up. Lets continue on our journey.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

The journey continues, and by the next evening, they reach the town of Amphail, past the Westwood. Sėle notes that by the middle of the next day, they should be able to reach Deepwater, and by the end of it their destination of Daggerford.

In Ampahil, it is apparent a festival is starting, plenty of decorations visible all throughout town, and the central plaza is filled with pavillon tents and tables as plentiful buffets of food and drink are prepared, with a stage placed next to the Great Shalarn, a black stone statue of a famous war horse bred in Amphail (which children are currently playing on). A quick ask tells them today is one Tylandar Roaringhorn's sixty-third birthday, a member of the three local Waterdhavian noble families (Roaringhorn, Ilzimmer, and Amcathra), he definitely wants everyone to know about it, and thus everyone is invited to the festivities.

A few people recognize Shiver, presumably from her first trip through the place, so there are plenty of invites to drink.

"Not gonna turn down free food and drink if we're stopping here anyway," Drufi says, rolling her shoulders. Short pause. "Guess drinking in giant size is a no?"

Sėle confirms with a nod. "They might become a little cross if a giantess drinks all their beer." "Yeah thought so."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Shiver makes sure that Echo knows she is to limit herself to one (and only one) plate of meat when the festival starts and tells the others that she is going to seek out Tylandar to pay her respects. She takes Echo with her so that the wolf doesnt terrify anyone with her antics. If you can make any discreet inquiries about our quest it would help. Seeing as word will spread about my arrival, it may loosen some tongues.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Echo looks slightly indignant about the implication that she is prone to overeating, and thus now seems deadset on proving Slissht wrong. Sėle and Drufi acknowledge as they are wont to ("Of course." "Yeah sure"), heading away into the festival.

Slissht has no trouble finding Tylandar (on the way she notices a number of women shooting her a few glares), currently a little to the side, overseeing the organization of the festival that is soon to start. "Ah, Shiver, what a pleasant surprise," he elderly but still very active man says, waving her closer, giving a proper kiss on the hand. "Impeccable timing, too. Had you sent notice of your arrival, I would have prepared accordingly, though your line of work rarely lends itself to planning, doesn't it?" With a quick clap, he instructs a seat to be prepared for Shiver at the festival as a guest of honor. He gestures for Shiver to join him on a short walk around town.

"How have you been?" Tylandar asks. "You may be pleased to hear that routing the bandits and kidnappers the last time you were here certainly sent a message to similar criminals, though sadly, the more quiet times proved short. Hill giants attacking settlements has become an increasingly frequent piece of news nowadays."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-06-30 at 02:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Your problem with hill giants may be of longer term. The power structure that governed giant life has collapsed and all tribes are struggling for more power.
    I intend to usher in a new order for frost giants, and topple the current Jarl Storvald. This new order will end the frost giant raids against smaller folk and lead to a new era of prosperity.
    And hopefully end up moving frost giants past fires and maybe even clouds in the process.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

"I do hope the day comes sooner rather than later. Nasty business, this. Fortified settlements are already difficult enough to defend against giantfolk, let alone less fortunate ones like our Amphail. And between the both of us, our current Lord Warder Dauner Ilzimmer could do with focusing a tad more on the safety of our people instead of his horses." Tylandar sighs. "I am sure the Lords' Alliance would welcome-" As they reach the town square again, they get a look at a crowd having formed in front of the stage, where a handsome young man with a wonderful voice sings a beautiful song about his beloved, many women in the crowd spellbound.

"You remember my grandson Zalaron, yes?" Tylandar says with another weary sigh, gesturing to the young man on stage. "As you can no doubt see, he is still quite popular with women, including the noble variety." Shiver begins to realize who exactly he is serenading with much skill, given part of his song includes words like skin of purest snow and tresses like the gold of angels.

"Whatever happened in the night before you left for Waterdeep, you certainly took his heart with you. He wasn't a womanizer by any stretch of the imagination, far from it, but now, you are the only one for him. Learned to songwrite and sing because of it. One wishes he would apply himself to other matters with the same gusto. The state of affairs certainly did not go other well with the fairer part of our population." Shiver spots several women who noticed her and are consequently staring daggers at her, though a few seem torn between being mad at her and perhaps forgeting that dislike in favor of asking her out.

"That aside, I am sure everyone would appreciate it if you decided to settle down in Amphail. In close proximity to Waterdeep, part of the Lords' Alliance, a perfect liaison between us and giantkind, not to mention everyone would feel much safer with you around. Your own plot of land, amenities, and staff could easily be arranged." With the beautiful song still going, Tylandar winces given the implications, adding "And I can assure you this is not tied to marrying my grandson, provided he didn't steal your heart as well."

Shiver can see Drufi in the crowd, getting herself another beer to deal with the longing of another Shiver suitor. From Sėle, Shiver mentally hears "My my, someone found Sune's faith because of you, and strongly so! You truly are an inspiration, mistress." She seems quite genuine, both in her admiration and the little spot of teasing. She also adds that she and Drufi have heard a bit of news, but are still asking around. "Did the good lord Tylandar hear any particular news?"

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

While settling down with Zalaron would have its charms, its quite impossible at the moment given the quest that I am on. As a a part of my mission, I have to discover the identity of the person who stripped much of my power some time ago. Have you heard of anyone boasting about taking down the great Shiver just a peg or two?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

"The offer remains, with or without Zalaron's hand. I doubt he will even realize the advances of anyone else anytime soon," Tylandar says, with another heavy sigh. "I cannot say I have heard of anyone foolish enough of such a boast. I have heard chatter of your arrival in Daggerford, much romance gossiping about you and the duchess." The elderly noble thinks for a moment, as Zalaron's song crescendos. "There has been something unusual, though I am unsure whether this is connected to what happened to you. Wynne Cromm, baroness of Lizard Marsh, has been paying visits to Duchess Daggerford unusually often. I do not think this registered as much of anything to most noble circles, given the baroness' garison is responsible for watching for hostile activity of the lizardfolk in the region, and most pay little attention to her in favor of duchess Morwen who has become incredibly popular, not to mention successful. But it was never much of a secret the baroness was not all that happy with her station, and on a recent ball, she seemed quite tense and short-tempered. And I want to say she has been becoming that way since roughly a week or two since you left Amphail the last time you were here."

Shiver, having regained most of her memory, remembered the Lizard Marsh is immediately to the south-west of Daggerford, just a few miles down the Delimbiyr River the town is situated by. The river flows into the marsh, and the marsh transitions into the sea. Morwen told her the marsh is filled with insects and monsters, so it needs to be watched all year long. Remembering Morwen, red mane illuminated by the evening sun after a surprisingly even practice bout, makes Shiver's heart skip a beat.

As Shiver processes the information, a familiar sound is heard. Heavy footsteps, something she notices because she is a bit more outside of the clamor of the festival and the song, not below the many pavillons and decorations and tents. Then screams. "Giants!"

Six hill giants burst into the town square, holding their huge clubs in one hand, and sacks in the other. The crowd immediately begins to panic and flee in every direction at once, frequently blocking its own way. Shiver may expect the giants to start indiscriminate murder and eating people, but instead... the giants seem to beeline to the buffets and food stores. In their crude giant speech, she hears "GRAB FOOD! GRAB FOOD! GRAB BOOZE!" (and variations of that), and "NO BRING ENOUGH AND YOU-KNOW-WHAT HAPPEN!" (followed by revolted shudders by all hill giants). The hill giants seem thoroughly panicked themselves. One even goes "WE TAKE SINGY BOY TO CHIEFTAIN?!", to which someone else shouts "UHHH JUST DO!" while frantically stuffing food into a sack and almost stepping on someone.

Shiver sees the six giants split up into three groups of two, one towards the food stores in the north of the town square, one to the buffet tables in the east of the town square, and one towards the stage in the south (and the food and barrels near there), a giant seeming rather intent on grabbing Zalaron, who is trying to coordinate people's escape from the stage. Shiver herself is towards the west of the town square, Sėle and Drufi are in the crowd.

(Not combat time, though if you want to move to one group and whack someone on the head, feel free to do so)
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-07-04 at 11:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

DRUFI, YOU TAKE THOSE TWO pointing at the pair nearest to her, SILE, NEUTRALIZE THOSE TWO, pointing at the group nearest the priestess and hoping she has one of those spells that incapacitated the fire giants in the last encounter, while she moves to the last two (presumably the ones trying to grab Zalaron) with her blade swinging NOT SO FAST, I HAVE FIRST DIBS ON HIM

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    not sure how far I have to move and how many strikes are left, so I will just roll all three and you can say which ones count
    (1d20+29)[37] attack & (3d6+23)[34] damage
    (1d20+29)[46] attack & (3d6+23)[36] damage
    (1d20+24)[27] attack & (3d6+23)[32] damage
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course," Sėle answers, floating up from the crowd. "ON IT!" Drufi shouts back over the cacophony of the chaos, opening with throwing an empty barrel at a hill giant's head.

Making her way through the crowd is tricky, having to make sure Slissht doesn't step on any panicking villagers. When she reaches the hill giants (perhaps frustratingly still at least a foot taller than Slissht, and a whole lot fatter) near the stage, one frantically shoves foodstuffs into a sack, while the other has grabbed Zalaron, who struggles in the giant fist. "Let me go!" he shouts at the giant who seems to strain to not accidentally squish the young man. Zalaron spots Slissht, and his face lights up with love and hope. "Shiver!"

Just around that time, the giant who is holding Zalaron turns around, sees Slissht, and prompty gets a sword to the gut. "OH NO, MORE EVIL WOMEN!" he shouts in frantic confusion and swings his club in panic, but it is not enough to really put a dent into the mighty frost giantess, once also outright missing. Echo does her best to get through the crowd and leaps for the other hill giant, missing him, but biting into the loot sack, leading to a chaotic tug-of-war as the hill giant tries to pull it free, keep the contents from falling out, while trying to shove more things in.

(Shiver's turn, still full HP. The giant holding Zalaron is in reach, reaching the other requires a move action)

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

For now, Shiver ignores dealing with Zalaron, focusing all her efforts on taking down the hill giant, her sword swinging three times in the process. She also decides to have some fun with poorly armored hill giants and put on a bit of show by using power attack (-5 to hit, +10 on damage)

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    (1d20+24)[28] damage & (3d6+33)[46] damage
    (1d20+24)[42] damage & (3d6+33)[45] damage
    (1d20+19)[30] damage & (3d6+33)[45] damage
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Really putting some power behind her strikes, Slissht completely demolishes the giant, who is dead before he even hits the pavement. In his short death throes, he throws up his hands, Zalaron suddenly flailing in the air and landing on the stage again. The other giant sees how his buddy was utterly destroyed and doesn't take long before he runs away screaming, straight out of the town. The same happens with the second giant near Drufi, who saw what Slissht did, as well as Drufi snapping the neck of the giant she slammed to the ground.

"EVILER WOMANS! EVILER WOMANS! AAAAAAAH!"

On Sėle's side of things, the two giants stand in utter rapture, soon directed in a trance out of the town to wait there. With the threat already over, Zalaron takes the opportunity to call out. "People of Amphail! Shiver has returned, and once more she saved us! Long live our heroine!" And with utter relief, they soon cheer, Sėle already busy doing away with the wounds people suffered, while Drufi gets the giant bodies out of town. They are practiced at this by now.

"We will not let those hill giants ruin our day! Today we feast not only in honor of my grandfather, but also our savior Shiver, fairest of all!" More cheers erupt, as people try to salvage the festival.

Zalaron looks to Shiver, speaking more privately. "It is so good to see you. Not a day passed without having to think of you, and not a night without you being in my dreams." If there was any doubt about the young man being head over heels for Shiver, it most likely is gone now.

Tylandar comes by soon enough. "You have impeccable timing indeed. We are once again in your debt. And I hope this trashing will keep those overgrown imbeciles from ever setting foot here again."

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

We can only hope, but for now, on with the feast. Shiver will make sure she is seated next to Zalaron and Tylander (between them unless that offends some sort of royal seating order, in which she sits beside Zalaron at least) and helps herself to a fair portion of the feast. She also prepares a plate for Echo but amuses the children by letting Echo put on a show, tossing the pieces of meat or cheese high in the air and showing how she can catch anything tossed in her vicinity. She remains open to anyone coming up to talk to her, hopefully with news of how she was hard done by, seeing as Drufi and Sile have been placing the word that she is looking for answers.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Zalaron is delighted to be with Shiver again, blind to the many jealous looks cast towards the giantess. Echo complies with the demonstrations because she of course is best at whatever she does, but at the same time it is also her only access to a plate and she has been smelling the buffet the whole time.

No direct news of someone boasting about having taken down Shiver come forth. Sėle heard some talk about the Lords' Alliance still having a fairly wait-and-see approach to the giant situation, mostly focusing on defending their cities and towns. There seems to be a general attitude of this being just a short-lived event in the grand scheme of things, the giants too unfocused and uncoordinated to be much of a threat. Drufi heard that the Zhentarim of course are busy selling their protection to travellers given the crisis, but there appear to be an increase in bounties for cloud giant towers and flying fortresses, somewhat disproportionally so.