New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default [OOC] Banners & Blood

Banners & Blood
    ooc thread

"A tremendous volume of research indicates that the primary factor that motivates a soldier to do the things that no sane man wants to do in combat (that is, killing and dying) is not the force of self-preservation but a powerful sense of accountability to his comrades on the battlefield."
    ("On Killing", 1995)

"So many vows . . . they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."
    ("A Clash of Kings", 1998)

"Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor, and to the Lord and Steward of the realm, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end. So say I, Peregrin son of Paladin of the Shire of the Halflings."
    (The Return of the King, 1955)

Spoiler: Big16
    Show
    System: 5e
    Player Count: 4
    Style of Play: Player-driven, open-ended with a clear objective
    Allowed Content:

* Anything officially published.
    * No UA or Homebrew
    * If we get more applicants than spots, I'll prioritize PHB content a as personal preference

Character Creation:

* Everyone gets the Skill Expert feat for free
    * At least one Ranger is necessary for the game to work
    * A Fighter (Cavalier) is desired, though not mandatory
    * Only one spellcaster allowed, maybe two (Paladin and Ranger don't count for this purpose)

Backstory: Just make sure you have solid Personality Traits, Flaws, Ideals and Bonds written on your sheet. That's all I need to motivate your characters and play around with their quirks.
    Experience: 5th Level
    Wealth: 2 Uncommon Magic Items and whatever mundane items you may want and can carry on you. King Harald provided for you.
    Ability Scores: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 (+1 from Skill Expert, +ASI)
    Hitpoints/Health: Roll, take Average if it rolls below Average. First one is maxed
    Alignment: Any
    Other Notes: Your character must remain loyal to King Harald all throughout the story, whether you're a lawful good paladin fighting for honor or a chaotic evil rogue serving the king for coin. One of your characters will be the official commander of these knights (normally a highborn cavalier, but not necessarily), though that's just a formality. In practice, the four of you hold council and debate the best course of action together.

The map is 40 hex wide and each hex represents 6 miles, which means your army can move a total of 4 hexes every day (unless you push into a Forced March). Rivers can be forded, but their hex counts as difficult terrain. Mountain hexes are blocked (There are spots where you can cross, but you gotta scout ahead and find them before you take the army). Forests are difficult terrain, but offer guaranteed concealment against enemy units.

Objetive: You must lead your unit of 300 mounted knights accross the map from West to East. You'll begin at the westernmost point of the map - Going back by ship (the way you came) can be especially dangerous, but quick. Marching north around the mountains would be fast enough, but the area around the King's Road is patrolled by enemy cavalry. Going through mountains and woods would be stealthy and safe, but slow, so it will consume your resources. If you run out of food for the troops, you'll have to raid villages for plunder, which is not dangerous but costs time and announces your position.

Scounting: Whether to find a way through the mountains or just look for enemy scouts, you'll often wanna detatch from the troops and travel as a lighter, stealthier unit. Instead of Random Encounters in a dungeon, there will be issues that must be solved so your army can travel safely: get rid of the minotaur guarding the gate, sabotage enemy troops, convince the druids of those woods to let you pass, etc. Skill checks, roleplay and sometimes battles will determine how fast and how well you solve these issues. Keep in mind you must reach King Harald as fast as possible.

Battles: If you're spotted and intercepted by enemy cavalry, the PCs will face proper enemy champions while the soldiers fight in the background. I'm toying with the idea of giving each player each a few knights to control in certain battles, or to allow you to do special attacks once per encounter, like ordering archers to shoot a volley at a 10-foot radius area and things like that. I'm still on the fence about all this, but I'll make sure not to go overboard with it. Not really trying to turn D&D into a different game.

---

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    Updated map with each biome more clearly defined. I realize villages, mountains and rivers weren't hex-exact and that's kinda important in a hexcrawl.

Mountains are blocked, but can be explored for passages. Woods grant concealment against enemy troops. Villages can be raided and plundered for food, in case you linger too much. King Harald commanded you to kick the villagers out of their houses and send them to the town by Riverlord's Keep, which is Wilhem's capital. You're still burning his crops and breaking his economy, but there's no slaughter. This is heavy cavalry composed of dutiful noble knights.

Crossing rivers:
    1. You enter the river hex normally.
    2. You decide to cross, and spend 1 hex to do it.
    3. You enter the next hex normally.

This is so you can march alongside a river without crossing it, as observed in the example below:
    Spoiler
    Show

While the real war is being fought by King Harald to the East, his majesty has sent the PCs ahead of a heavy cavalry unit by ship to create pressure on the opposite side of Wilhem's province. Those ships are still available, and can be sailed up and down the rivers. With good wind, ships will move 8 hexes per day rather than 4. Boarding the ships should cost a hex of movement.

Zoomed-out regional map for clarification:

Player Character Race Class
    JNAProductions Luna Starbright Half-Elf Druid 5
    samduke Percilla Bugbear Fighter 5
    Flashkannon Ginarie Drow Ranger 5
    Infernally Clay Cheshire Human Rogue 2/Cleric 3

Welcome to the Riverlands, brave champions! I'm glad to have the four of you along for what I plan to be a short-to-mid term campaign divided in two parts: First, the bulk of the game, is a long march from West to East; The second is a fast-paced dungeon-like experience where your 4 PCs will infiltrate the capital to kidnap King Harald (held hostage in his own castle). The longer you take to return from the Riverlands in the first part, the more complications you will encounter in this second/final part, which means higher encounters with a higher CR and higher chances to die. Tpk becomes a real possibility if you linger too much.

Wargame mechanics:

Spoiler
    Show
    Movement
    Infantry: 2 hexes per 8 hours of travel
    Cavalry: 4 hexes per 8 hours of travel
    Ships: Up to 8 hexes per 24 hours of travel

Skirmishing
    To skirmish with another unit, the attacker must invade and occupy the same hex as the defender. We roll d6 to determine its outcome: Each result of [6] means one success, and whoever gets more successes wins the skirmish. The loser side can choose to take a Wound to maintain their position, or retreat and lose ground while suffering no penalties.

+1d6 for every 50 soldiers
    -1d6 for every Wound

Modifiers:
    Favorable terrain: A result of [5] or [6] counts as a success for the defender if they're occupying a hex that's difficult terrain. Attackers can't get that bonus. It's slower to move through difficult terrain, but worth it if you can pick a nice hill and defend it.

Fortified position: The defender gets +2d6 if they're occupying a Fortified hex. Your unit can spend 4 hexes of movement to grant your hex the "Fortified" condition. Anti-cavalry wooden spikes, palisades, trenches and such. You may choose to destroy these fortifications when you leave that hex, or abandon them there for anyone to use.

Morale: If you win 3 skirmishes in a row, your unit gets the "Morale" modifier, which ignores all Wound penalties and lasts until you lose a skirmish (even if you don't take a Wound).

Please introduce yourselves and your characters and provide either a physical description or a reference for their appearance. I'm still gonna need another day (or two) to fine-tune the map, but we can get an intro scene going once everyone is here. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Also are you all active discord users? I can set up a small server and send you invites via PM. Though I'd still rather keep all dice rolls in this thread or in a dice thread. Just so it's easier for me to check everything in one place.
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: [OOC] Banners & Blood

Please introduce yourselves and your characters and provide either a physical description or a reference for their appearance. I'm still gonna need another day (or two) to fine-tune the map, but we can get an intro scene going once everyone is here. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Also are you all active discord users? I can set up a small server and send you invites via PM. Though I'd still rather keep all dice rolls in this thread or in a dice thread. Just so it's easier for me to check everything in one place.
    I, for one, am an active discord user; I'll happily participate in a little server.

As for a self-introduction, I'm Flashkannon, long-time D&D player and long-time but more occasional DM. I used to do 3.5 back in the day, and I've futzed about with a few systems here and there. There are many, especially here on this forum, who spend more time thinking about D&D than I, but I do spend a good amount of time thinking on such. I love a good balance of combat and roleplay, both being separate aspects of the game I greatly enjoy, though I profess not to be a master of either.

As for my character, Ginarie Yl'tizte, she's an underdark expat merc with an affable manner off the battlefield, happy to talk shop, swap stories, or talk about nothing in particular. She loves the stars, fresh fruit, and an unfair fight. She takes things with an easy attitude, unless they get serious for her, personally. She hates windy days, mushrooms, and has learned to tolerate the sun.

In battle, she remains relatively easygoing, but that is overshadowed somewhat by her ruthless tactics. She keeps her bow in one hand, alternating between stabs from her rapier and nocking arrows. She'll never fight fair when she can deny an opponent an advantage, and she prefers to fight in the dark, or, when the darkness is not available, she'll loose the stopper on the bottle she keeps at her hip and let loose a mighty cloud of smoke to cover the battlefield, keeping her opponents blind while she hunts them down with her keen hearing and sixth sense. She's a team player, for what it's worth, and can adjust to the plan if need be, but she's not nearly as effective when she's playing fair.

Below is a quick heroforge I worked up:
    Last edited by Flashkannon; 2024-05-07 at 11:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I am JNAP. I speak for the Productions. :P
    And I feel like you probably have seen me around the forums-I'm literally the 8th most prolific poster on this site!
    I'm usually DMing, so it'll be nice to have a chance to get a good old hex crawl in.

Luna is short, especially for someone with elven blood, standing at 5' tall. Her hair is a long, somewhat tangled blonde mess on her head, and her eyes are a cloudy grey.
    She greatly prefers to NOT fight-her favorite spells being things like Fog Cloud, Healing Spirit, and Pass Without Trace, all useful for avoiding fights or patching up after, rather than fighting directly.
    She's also a very friendly and trusting person, always ready to help others.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I am JNAP. I speak for the Productions. :P
    And I feel like you probably have seen me around the forums-I'm literally the 8th most prolific poster on this site!
    I'm usually DMing, so it'll be nice to have a chance to get a good old hex crawl in.
    That's... actually really impressive. I knew colossus was up there, but my goodness. This'll be my first ever hex crawl, personally.

Luna is short, especially for someone with elven blood, standing at 5' tall. Her hair is a long, somewhat tangled blonde mess on her head, and her eyes are a cloudy grey.
    She greatly prefers to NOT fight-her favorite spells being things like Fog Cloud, Healing Spirit, and Pass Without Trace, all useful for avoiding fights or patching up after, rather than fighting directly.
    She's also a very friendly and trusting person, always ready to help others.
    Ah, Fog Cloud, wonderful! I'm sure she and Ginarie will get along splendidly. Luna actually has a few inches of height on Ginarie, too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

oh interesting I was selected.. for the purpose of choosing text colors I will have Percilla speak in blue

just general commentary: I have known JNAP for a few years, we have had a few games together.

this will be my 3rd hex crawl

I use discord.

Spoiler: percilla image
    Show

let me know if you want something of a backstory
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-05-08 at 08:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    oh interesting I was selected.. for the purpose of choosing text colors I will have Percilla speak in blue
    Hmm... maybe Ginarie should be red, perhaps? If we're all doing colors, that is.

Modifiers:
    Favorable terrain: A result of [5] or [6] counts as a success for the defender if they're occupying a hex that's difficult terrain. Attackers can't get that bonus. It's slower to move through difficult terrain, but worth it if you can pick a nice hill and defend it.
    Actually, I was rereading these - since we're doing Revised Ranger, how does the first bullet point of the Natural Explorer stack up with this? for reference, that reads: "Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel." Which... I suppose skirmishes aren't exactly travel. Would Plant Growth be able to create favorable terrain? If I recall correctly, it makes basically doubly difficult difficult terrain.
    Last edited by Flashkannon; Yesterday at 12:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashkannon View Post
    "Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel." Which... I suppose skirmishes aren't exactly battle. Would Plant Growth be able to create favorable terrain? If I recall correctly, it makes basically doubly difficult difficult terrain.
    Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel, but that only works for the adventurer party, and doesn't include the 300 knights under your command.

Plant Growth could be used for that, yes.

I have an IC opening post half-written, but got extra busy with mother's day coming up. Give me til Monday to post it.
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel, but that only works for the adventurer party, and doesn't include the 300 knights under your command.

Plant Growth could be used for that, yes.

I have an IC opening post half-written, but got extra busy with mother's day coming up. Give me til Monday to post it.
    casual reminder to post the link to IC up in the 1st post and then once IC is up put a link back to OOC