New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Squad!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Dungeon Squad!

A few days out of port, the ship is thrown off course by a terrible storm, and runs aground on one of the many unknown reefs in the White Sea. The sea vomits many pieces of flotsam on to the beach, including yourselves.

2. - Top - End - #2

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dungeon Squad!

Your gear has all washed on to shore with you. You might want to assume that you had more stuff, but that it got lost in the wreck.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

The stench greeted my senses before the sight truly took hold. I reached up and scraped the bow and seaweed from my hair. Its usual blond now a dark brown with just a hint of green.

Looking down i realized that my leg was slightly injured. Trust me to still get hurt in what seemed to be a god assisted escape from harm.My red robe clung to my body but seemed to be already drying from the sun. I had no possessions to worry about, so i was ready.

I eventually got my bearings and stood up. Grabbing what was left of what appeared to be my room and what may have actually been a plank of wood, i set off towards the closest person i could find using it as support.

On the way i looked inland to see if there was anything worth noting.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4)[3]
    Thanks to Kyace for the avatar.

"Way down in the hole"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Generic looks up around him.

His blue eyes are well framed by his blond hair (which somehow is still standing on end despite their wetness), and his bulging muscles somehow manage to ripple despite their concealment by bulky chainmail.

Picking up his 10 foot long zanbatto/katana/overlyhugebastardsword/dualscimitar, he jabs it into the sand before him.

Saying a prayer to Typical, the god of good and light, he stands up and cries out in a deep, manly voice, (as dramatic music plays in the background and lighting crashes)

"I, Generic the Lastnameless One, swear that I will avenge tis greatest insult, and restore the Cliche to this cursed world!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Skvar the Skald slowly swims to shore.

A black haired, brown eyed middle aged man with a bulbous red nose paddles shoreward holding onto a sea chest. He wears only a pair of pants.
    As he arrives ashore, he opens the sea chest, uncorks and finishes off the contents of a small barrel, and puts on a chainmail shirt. This is followed by a belt, a backpack, and some other gear. He begins to play some pan pipes and look towards the rest of the flotsam drifting in.

6. - Top - End - #6

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Viginti_tres View Post
    I eventually got my bearings and stood up. Grabbing what was left of what appeared to be my room and what may have actually been a plank of wood, i set off towards the closest person i could find using it as support.

On the way i looked inland to see if there was anything worth noting.
    You can see the other two obviously. There's someone near you, an old dwarf woman, but when you get closer you can see that she's dead. She has a head wound, and you guess that she must have been knocked unconscious and drowned.

Looking inland the beach quickly turns into dense forest.

The main thing you can hear, other than Generic, is the sound of birds and insects coming from the forest, louder than anything you'd hear at home.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Sarah lifts her small 3’3” body to its full height then shakes vigorously to remove the water. Sarah pushes her dark hair out of her face and looks over the island with dark searching eyes. Then begins to pick up her stuff and whatever stray stuff she finds lying around.

Sarah stops for a moment listening to the sounds of the island. “Seems like there’s lots of bugs here, at least we won’t starve.”

8. - Top - End - #8

"Can you see any other survivors" i yelled while walking towards Sarah. Stopping on the way to make sure the musical man was alright.

I glanced towards the warrior type, but figured he would be fine and so i let him finish his soliloquy.

"Anyone need healing? Anyone have a plan? I asked exasperated. This couldn't be happening now, not when i was so close.

"Way down in the hole"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"I see something that survived". I then move out into the flotsam and begin pulling on some robes covered in intricate patterns.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Sarah will help Skvard pull the survivor out of the water.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skvar View Post
    "I see something that survived". I then move out into the flotsam and begin pulling on some robes covered in intricate patterns..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Sarah View Post
    Sarah will help Skvard pull the survivor out of the water.
    It turns out that they're just robes. But very fine robes they are; three of them, each covered in a different, intricate pattern. They don't seem to be torn. But obviously clothes like these aren't designed to be worn in the water.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2007-11-21 at 04:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Night is soon approaching, i know i hold no authority over you but if i do hold some sway i would suggest we travel inland."

I said as i walked towards the forest. Without turning back to face them i continue.

"I am going in either way, but your company would be greatly appreciated."
    Last edited by Viginti_tres; 2007-11-21 at 04:10 AM.

"Way down in the hole"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Sarah yells to Konsgiver. “Hold on a minute. Let us gather up what useful items can be found on this beach before we go. It will only take a few minutes.”

“Skvard gather up these robes and I’ll check on her” Sarah says pointing to the dead woman.

Sarah will go and search dead woman and then join Konsgiver.

14. - Top - End - #14

" Check on her then. Although i would much prefer it if you simply stated your actual meaning. Loot her that is. I said.

Looking down at the sand on the beach i saw an interesting shell. I picked it up and examined it while the others slowly progressed through there duties.I stood with one ear always listening to the sounds of nature coming from the jungle, they just seemed so unnatural.

"Way down in the hole"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Skvar pulls the robes from the water, and places them on the beach to dry.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

" Check on her then. Although i would much prefer it if you simply stated your actual meaning. Loot her that is. I said.
    “I’d prefer not to spend my island vacation listen to your snarky attitude so lose it.”

17. - Top - End - #17

"Well no one said you had to spend it with me. Stay here by yourself if you will. However i wouldn't suspect it would be long before you started hearing voices, a rustling in the jungle and before long you would have given your life to this place." I said looking Sarah in the eyes

"While i don't necessarily like you and you me. I wouldn't want to see that happen. Plus I'm sure you have your uses, fodder and such."

"You just about done looting"
    I said with a wry smile

"..And are you just about done luting. Well i was never good with instruments but i think thats a lute, or is a lute a harp? No matter" I rambled towards the drunk little man

"And well him, he can stay here if he wants. I think he is too deep in his monologue to hear us anyway." I laughed.

Throwing the shell from one hand to another for a second i thought about the current situation for a while, before pocketing it and making my way towards the treeline.

"Way down in the hole"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Wondering how anyone can grow to adulthood without ever learning simple manners, Sarah walks over to Skvard, lays the robe she found beside the others, and sits down.
    Last edited by jojobulu; 2007-11-26 at 03:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

The robes all seem to be good quality. From left to right, they are:

'Sarah's robe' is orange, and is covered in a pattern of black crowns.

The next robe is purple, covered in a black pattern of peacocks.

The next robe is black, covered in a pattern of purple lion's heads, facing left.

The final robe is black.

20. - Top - End - #20

After i noticed that the others weren't following me i turned back from the tree line and trying to hide the fact that i was afraid to go in alone i cited the cold as my reason for walking back.

"If no-one minds i think i will grab that lion headed robe, i could use the warmth. I haven't quite dried yet and umm..." I grabbed the robe and sat on the beach to examine it for a while. The lions were brave and fierce looking and so i decided to put it on.

"Way down in the hole"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"Hey, who said you could have any of these robes? I spied them in the water, and I pulled them to shore. By rights, this salvage is mine. But if you had anything to drink, I wouldn't mind trading. If you think a tavern stands in those trees, foolish fop, lead on. And if the trees hold only death for the brave, or better a tale to tell, lead on faster."

22. - Top - End - #22

"Well i did ask. Really though are you going to need all these coats. Would you rather we said it was on loan. It is yours still but i just wear it.

Then in the first tavern we reach i will buy you a drink and the transaction will be complete."
    I said, arms flailing.

"I do think there will be quite a story to tell if any of us get out with working lips."

"Way down in the hole"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

That deal sounds fair. When we have pillaged this patch of wilderness, all debts shall be repaid in wine and song and celebration."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Sarah stands and dusts herself off. Then she picks up her robe and shakes it out. At first she puts it around her shoulders admiring the colors, but the robe is to big for Sarah so she takes it off, folds it up, and stuffs it into her backpack.

Sarah walks over to Konsgiver and pats him on the back in a friendly way. “Are we off then?”

Sarah looks to the others to make sure they are ready to go then heads toward the forest.

25. - Top - End - #25

"I've been ready since we first arrived on this god forsaken land" I said staring down at the lions on the robe, entranced momentarily.

"'What do we do about him? I said pointing towards the silhouette of Generic."This place is no ordinary reef and i would hazard a guess the reason it remains unknown is because of that.

However i can see no other option than to venture deeper into the abyss"
    I said gazing worriedly into the jungle, as what i think were eyes gazed back.

"Way down in the hole"

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

"Pah! I, Generic the Lastnameless One, need no nursemaids! I shall take my revenge.....alone!"

He stomps off along the beach.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2007-11-30 at 12:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

"Damned fool! Are you looking to be a monster's meal? Don't you need someone there to see your heroic revenge and to sing of it for the ages?" Skvar packs the remaining robes into his backpack, and starts to follow the fool, holding an unlit torch and pan pipes in his hands.

28. - Top - End - #28

With a sigh i looked towards Sarah.

"Well it looks like our walk through the forest will have to be postponed."

"I am almost certain he requested he go alone, i for one was willing to oblige but it seems out of my hands now. You want to join us?
    I exclaimed and began to trudge along after the others.

"Way down in the hole"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

With a sigh i looked towards Sarah.

You want to join us? I exclaimed and began to trudge along after the others.
    "Why Not?"

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

You follow the barbarian along the beach. He looks behind, but doesn't acknowledge you other than to start walking faster. Shaking your head, you follow him.

The beach soon turns into pebbles, then rocks, then bigger rocks. The terrain starts to rise. You find yourselves clambering over slippery boulders, with the sea crashing into the cliff below you.