New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan II: Don't Be Clothed-Minded!

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Wasn't there a horror movie like that?
    Something with vegetarian monsters transforming people into veggies before eating them?
    Troll II. Generally considered a So Bad, It's Good movie.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    My God... Snout has been blue this entire time???
    You know, all the characters look kinda bad in colour.
    Snout though? Kill it with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanfanforlife View Post
    Troll II. Generally considered a So Bad, It's Good movie.
    Right. That's the one. Never watched it myself, but the premise sounds gloriously dumb.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2024-02-26 at 11:08 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually kinda like the colour version. I can't say whether it would have made the comic better or worse (I don't know much about color theory or composition), but it's like it adds something more about the characters, or maybe it's just nostalgia of colorful cartoons.

Is it just me, or has the comic become much more enjoyable since Snout's story ended? It's like Snout had the usual Mookie problem: going into difficult themes without actually having the materials to deal with them. The jazz story was simple, maybe a bit too short, but it was a nice showcase of an enthusiast's experiences in a foreign land. And the dwarves seem to have much more background than usual. I think Michael is really putting an effort into wordbuilding with some depth, giving actual different personalities and objectives to the people in these settings, and going beyond the old "planet of hats" style we had seen in DD.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I actually kinda like the colour version. I can't say whether it would have made the comic better or worse (I don't know much about color theory or composition), but it's like it adds something more about the characters, or maybe it's just nostalgia of colorful cartoons.

Is it just me, or has the comic become much more enjoyable since Snout's story ended? It's like Snout had the usual Mookie problem: going into difficult themes without actually having the materials to deal with them. The jazz story was simple, maybe a bit too short, but it was a nice showcase of an enthusiast's experiences in a foreign land. And the dwarves seem to have much more background than usual. I think Michael is really putting an effort into wordbuilding with some depth, giving actual different personalities and objectives to the people in these settings, and going beyond the old "planet of hats" style we had seen in DD.
    I'll agree that the jazz story was "fine," but only because Mookie lowers your standards enough that a C tier story looks good by comparison. If this had been in a good webcomic, it would have been the worst story arc.

The dwarf story is garbage, though. It suffers the same Mookie problem of over-simplifying a complex problem while showcasing a complete lack of understanding of the problem. Why is there inequality in Kadaz? Not because of misogyny, but because one woman is evil and corrupt. (By the way, great job there making the main villain of a woman empowerment story also be a woman.) And none of it even makes sense. Gordi proposes a law that gives women the right to vote, but because Ragna slightly altered it to add very minor restrictions to those voting rights, this is now an insult to all women? And now Gordi is seen as the biggest villain of them all? Only an ignorant, modern man could come up with that nonsense. Voting rights for women is still a huge step forward, regardless of any restrictions. Would it be better without those restrictions? Yes, obviously, but big changes usually require multiple, gradual steps. Getting anything at all passed is just the first, hardest step, and now that it's complete, it's easier to add modifications later.

It feels like Mookie wanted to tell a very specific story but had zero idea how to set it up, so he just went for it, anyway. It's 100% usual Mookie writing, and I hate it more than Snout.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The dwarf story is garbage, though. It suffers the same Mookie problem of over-simplifying a complex problem while showcasing a complete lack of understanding of the problem. [...] And none of it even makes sense.
    This makes it distressingly realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Okay, the scene between the necromancer and the ghost made me chuckle.
    Sure, the joke has a beard long enough to serve a mountaineering gear, but it works.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")