New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan II: Don't Be Clothed-Minded!

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Despite the usual dumb/unfair comments from in here i gave the story another go and binged the last 3-4 months.
    Read like that it was actually an interesting enough story. The pacing became good.

I liked the fight. I liked the motivation we got from the villains.
    Its slightly annoying that of course, the main villain had to be racist. But its a minor quibble.
    I feel day-by-day or slower reading tends to not paint most comics in the best light when it comes to pacing, When I decided to reread the entire archive of DD a while ago I was surprised how even arcs notorious for bad pacing like Maltak actually felt pretty snappy in binge-format.

Mookie's post implied the Legacy is ending relatively soon right? If so, I'll probably just binge the entire thing once it's complete.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Well, per the blog, Snout's time as the perspective character is coming to an end this Friday, but the comic goes on as an anthology following different characters. It's going to be jarring as hell when there's suddenly dialogue in this comic!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

And so, Snout's story has come to an end. It's pretty crazy how much the tone shifted from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    And so, Snout's story has come to an end. It's pretty crazy how much the tone shifted from the start.
    From half-hearted comedy to half-assed existentialism. What a journey.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2023-10-24 at 03:14 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Huh, it actually ended? Alright, time to start reading it. I did actually want to make a general review based on the epilogue, seems like a good time to get working on that.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Okay just finished reading the entire Legacy of Dominic Deegan (Snout's story) in one sitting, time for my arc review.

THE LEGACY OF DOMINIC DEEGAN

General thoughts.

So I've avoided looking too much at the general discussion regarding the Legacy to step inside with a fresh mindset, when I was doing my review of earlier DD chapters I did sometimes see the latest page of the Legacy on the front page, so I knew about the deaf protagonist, that most of the text was in the form of pages of books & notes and that there was a significant amount of nudity.

On one hand I'm glad that Mookie's switching back to regular pages with normal dialogue for the upcoming stories, but I'll admit. As I started reading more of the Legacy I did kind of enjoy the experimental format?

One thing I've always enjoyed about DD from the very start is that Mookie enjoys being experimental and throwing ideas at the wall to see if they'll stick or not, it's always been both a strength and a weakness as he sometimes threw ideas out there that ... weren't conventional for good reasons, but I think the Legacy did a lot of interesting things that, within Mookie's limitations worked out well.

The Art

So I'm going to say it. I'm honestly proud of Mookie. Genuinely proud. Is the art amazing? No, the anatomy is still pretty flawed in places, some of the expressions are a bit rough. But one of my biggest gripes with Mookie has always been the way he clung to a flawed art style & very limiting character designs (e.g. snoutface.) It honestly takes a ton of time and effort to get to a skill level that is universally beloved, but my big issue with DD wasn't that it failed to reach that point, it was rather the fact that it never felt it even tried.

For the Legacy Mookie clearly reworked his way of drawing human characters, notably putting significantly more effort into giving characters more unique faces by having distinct noses but also more consistent facial shapes like jawlines. Additionally the slightly larger panels and the fact that from time to time he tries to experiment with more dynamic camera angles just make everything feel a tad more polished. If you look at fights in DD they were generally not that dynamic, mostly just characters shooting a beam and people exploding. The few fight scenes that the Legacy had actually had some thought put into dynamic paneling & the viewer following motion.
    None of this is revolutionary, but it is genuinely nice seeing Mookie actually show some actual improvement & him experimenting in ways that pay off.

My favorite part though? The inks & scenery/backgrounds. I don't quite remember if Mookie ever used inks in DD itself, but a couple of pages, especially the onew where characters were traveling in dream-like environments, genuinely looked quite good.

If you go back and compare a page like this to what "THE BEAST" chapters looked like in DD, it is just a notable improvement, to the point where there's a couple of panels or even entire pages I considered genuinely pretty good looking in the Legacy. I don't think there's really any panel or page in DD itself I'd ever consider good if we're talking about the art.

I still think there's a lot of room for improvement, there's still something very rough about Mookie's sense of anatomy & a lot of his facial expressions do feel a bit ... stale. I also feel that the strongest aspect of his current kit, the inks, aren't really interwoven into his regular pages yet, so they don't uplift a random dialogue scene like the first pages of the new "Makena" chapter, for example.

But in all honesty, it is refreshing to see Mookie making some small steps in improving.

The Nudity

I'm going to make a seperate part out of this because it's the aspect of The Legacy that does stand out a lot, and is clearly where the thread title came from.

Maybe this is a controversial take, I haven't read the discussion but ... I have 0% problems with it.
    I know Mookie is known for deciding to go against the grain and make bold/controversial decisions without thinking them through (see: heroic "savior"), but honestly ... I don't think this is one of them?

Most of the nudity in The Legacy felt relatively tame and tasteful (the only exception maybe being a halfling getting ****-smacked in the face?), and once you get used to it kinda being a regular aspect of it, particularly during the dream/meditation scenes, yeah it's fine. It's a choice.
    I was worried about it initially because DD itself had a lot of immature sex jokes & dead women in "Sensual" poses, but the nudity in the Legacy is a whole different beast. It's not a choice I'd personally make in my comic, but I know there's been webcomics out there like The Meek which featured a protagonist who ran around naked most of the time without it being sexualized.

The Story/Pacing

The story is kind of simple and in a certain sense, quite abstract. Magic as we know it is gone, and we get Snout as our "ignorant protagonist" to help us understand a little bit about why the magic changed, and how. On a journey of self-discovery he meets a few friends and together with them he basically goes on a journey.

I think the story's fine? DD itself actually never had much direction until we got to the Beast/King David, the Legacy feels like Mookie actually did have an ending planned from the start that he was working towards, what is notable about this is that the characters in the Legacy have much more of a consistent arc and throughline that feels consistent and premeditated, this helps avoid weird kneejerk changes to characters like Siggy's strange character arc in DD.

I do feel the core of the story suffers a bit from being both incredibly simple and incredibly complex. All the 'spiritual journey' talk is pretty difficult to parse and abstract, whereas it simultaneously just feels like a bit of a 'only those pure of heart can go here'-type of deal which is super straightforward. I don't think that there's a lot of additional value to the Legacy as a stand-alone story for people to read who weren't into DD to start with.

The Cast

Snout is fine as a protagonist, I think Mookie did a good job giving a sense of personality to a protagonist that can't talk, usually told through expressions or actions. He's a simple character, but I think that helps for the type of story being told. If I had to make a top 15 of DD characters he wouldn't be in it, but I didn't dislike him.

The Orc guy Probably the most interesting character here, I'll admit that when the comic threw pages and pages of text at me regarding character backstories I kind of glanced over it, but I got the general idea that he's a dude with a checkered past and a bunch of regrets he wants to rectify. That makes him interesting to say the least.

Ink Witch She's kinda ... boring? Initially when she's pretending to be the pagefinder she's kinda neat and has some personality, her design's cute too. I like the concept of Ink-witches, but I feel as the story progresses she takes a massive backseat compared to the other characters. It's notable that when they're confronted with things that concern them, her thing is "I want to **** Snout" ... like please, what is that?

Vine Clone Conceptually really interesting, some twisted semi-necrotic clone who sort of lacks identity and completely unstable due to the wild magic running through her. I don't think the comic did anything particularly interesting with her beyond the basic stuff you'd hope for with a concept like that, but just as a core concept I like her a lot. She reminds me a lot of Quilt from Dominic Deegan, except instead of being a really basic joke character, Mookie actually does play around with the existential stuff that comes with a character like that more. Not bad.

The villain duo: Extremely cookie-cutter villains. I would've found it more interesting if the characters wanting to return magic to its former glory were less obviously evil. Over the years I've grown to be a lot more appreciative of a good heel-villain, and I'll admit that during my reread I had a much greater appreciation for scum of the absolute earth like Serk Brakkis who actually fufill the job of being a 'heel' excellently, but this seems incredibly hard to do in a comic where you don't hear dialogue.

Jacob I guess it was neat to see him again? If it wasn't for the name familiarity there's not much to him though.

We at some point get a full on motivation reveal through the witch's hat, and we discover she's backstabbing megalomaniacal scum, not to mention a big fan of King David but eh... show don't tell for stuff like that. (I also think the nod to King David felt like a rather weak and basic attempt at tying this villain to a well known former antagonist. a bit of lazy writing imho).

Remaining characters Most other characters were kind of flat/one-note so there's not much to say there, unless I'm forgetting something.
    The orcish seer uhh... I'm actually not sure what to make of that sex scene. I get what Mookie was going for but ... well, it happened. Definitely a way to make me remember a character. (Still doesn't beat catboy Celesto though.)

In conclusion:

THE GOOD
    - The art is a big improvement in a lot of spots over old DD, particularly when he's playing with inks. I also feel the pacing is pretty solid, just like old DD. I managed to read the entire thing in one sitting quite easily.
    - in contrast to DD I Actually feel Mookie stepped into this with an actual ending in mind, making it feel a lot more consistent.

THE BAD
    - As much as the art does actually look pretty solid in certain pages, Mookie still keeps struggling massively with anatomy and faces. My biggest objection to the nudity isn't so much that nudity bothers me, but that Mookie's struggles with anatomy become a lot more glaring when characters run around in the buff.
    - I think that for the most part Mookie did a decent job telling a story where the protagonist can't talk but ... the number of times he relied on just throwing pages of pages of text at us to compensate was rough. I'll be honest, I did not read all of the lore, most of it felt completely unnecessary to really get the gist of the story either, so I wonder if there wasn't a way to tell the same story without throwing massive walls of text at us.
    - I think the focus on a deaf protagonist was a bold choice but ... it's something you can only really do if you can have the art, facial expressions etc cary the story for you. I think Mookie didn't do a terrible job with it, but there's definitely a big reason I never felt enticed to read the Legacy day-by-day. If I had to actually give every individual page attention, it'd either be pages with only Mookie's art, or only massive slabs of text. Neither of those are satisfying.
    - this might be controversial but ... The Legacy's mistakes, errors and downsides are all pretty bland, and to some degree this is actually a detriment.

DD was in many ways a much, much worse comic, but I won't lie that ridiculous writing choices like Supergreg and similarly brilliant ideas were bad in a way that was absolutely hilarious and enjoyable to snark about. The Legacy still has many flaws, but not that many that I'd consider particularly funny or enjoyable, they're more in the camp of "This could be tightened up or cleaner".

I was going to say that it must be hard to snark about the Legacy, but in finding some references/names for characters online, I saw SA has a 700+ page thread snarking about just the Legacy alone, so clearly I am deeply mistaken about that.

As a final note, my comments on the art may seem a bit inconsistent, but that's mostly because I Still find Mookie's character design work & anatomy to largely be an eyesore. I feel he's simultaneously shown more progress than he's ever had, whilst many of his flaws are still clear as day.

---------------

I'm curious how the anthology series will go. One tricky thing I've noticed with The Legacy so far is that the comic taking place 200 years(!!!) after the original story means that by all logic everyone except for Jacob should be dead, generally speaking the enjoyment you'd get out of an epilogue is to see what characters are up to after the main story has ended ... but we're so far into the future that it's pretty difficult to do that.

For fans of the original cast and story I can't quite figure out the appeal of "hey let's see what some random jazz musician 200 years after the main story is up to!" is exactly. It's such a strange choice.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2023-11-11 at 07:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact that your only two points of praise for this webcomic are minor improvements to art that still sucks having a planned story, which is the most bare minimum requirement for writing a story, says everything one needs to know about Mookie and his career.

8. - Top - End - #278

About the art, the Legacy was drawn, from one point onwards, on an Ipad. This probably explains why it got more varied, as digital tools other than pen became readily available.

Some of the backgrounds were traced from photographs that are pretty easy to find online, while the travel sceneries were inspired by comics like Moebius', if I recall correctly.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The fact that your only two points of praise for this webcomic are minor improvements to art that still sucks having a planned story, which is the most bare minimum requirement for writing a story, says everything one needs to know about Mookie and his career.
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what Mookie's income streams are outside of his DD Patreon & Merch, but looking at his patreon numbers, he's honestly not doing a bad job monetizing DD. For a comic with a relatively simple style that updates every 2 days, over a 1000 euro per month isn't bad.
    I do think DD on the whole has always has had some traits that made it relatively easy to start/keep reading it, it has a certain vibe I'd classify as "Amateur, but accessible" which is kind of hard to hit.
    There's a ton of comics out there I know for a fact are better, be it Unsounded, Kill 6 Billion Demons etc, that I started in the past but got somewhat lost in because of various reasons (the drama being too heavy, the art being so overwhelming it actually made it hard to just quickly binge a story, or even just basic stuff like inaccessible archives that made it hard to find where I left off.)

Even at its slowest, DD still has an update speed that way outclasses most other webcomics out there, and that update speed + solid pacing allows him to keep an audience a lot easier than many comics that are technically of a higher quality.
    I would classify a lot of his writing as "fast food", easy to consume, something that usually isn't too heavy, is produced rather quickly, doesn't require readers to think too much and has some general feelgood vibes (there's some power fantasy elements to it, but they're a very wholesome power fantasy where you get people to hug you.).

Even if I would never classify DD as high art, I can definitely understand to some degree how he still has an active (and paying) fanbase.

About the art, the Legacy was drawn, from one point onwards, on an Ipad. This probably explains why it got more varied, as digital tools other than pen became readily available.

Some of the backgrounds were traced from photographs that are pretty easy to find online, while the travel sceneries were inspired by comics like Moebius', if I recall correctly.
    Oh that's interesting, personally I'm not anti-tracing, as long as people are a bit careful with not blatantly tracing copyrighted works without permission, I'd have to actually see and compare the referenced works to really judge if it crosses that line for me.

Personally I've always felt Mookie should've used more references for stuff he had a hard time drawing from memory, so good on him, assuming it doesn't venture into downright theft.

Also during my investigation of how much Mookie earns I noticed that the thing I'd "Rather see", namely: what did named/known DD characters end up doing after the final arc, is like a 10 euro patreon reward ... I guess that content does exist, just paywalled hahaha. (the 14 euro reward is something else though, woof.)

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what Mookie's income streams are outside of his DD Patreon & Merch, but looking at his patreon numbers, he's honestly not doing a bad job monetizing DD. For a comic with a relatively simple style that updates every 2 days, over a 1000 euro per month isn't bad.
    I do think DD on the whole has always has had some traits that made it relatively easy to start/keep reading it, it has a certain vibe I'd classify as "Amateur, but accessible" which is kind of hard to hit.
    There's a ton of comics out there I know for a fact are better, be it Unsounded, Kill 6 Billion Demons etc, that I started in the past but got somewhat lost in because of various reasons (the drama being too heavy, the art being so overwhelming it actually made it hard to just quickly binge a story, or even just basic stuff like inaccessible archives that made it hard to find where I left off.)

Even at its slowest, DD still has an update speed that way outclasses most other webcomics out there, and that update speed + solid pacing allows him to keep an audience a lot easier than many comics that are technically of a higher quality.
    I would classify a lot of his writing as "fast food", easy to consume, something that usually isn't too heavy, is produced rather quickly, doesn't require readers to think too much and has some general feelgood vibes (there's some power fantasy elements to it, but they're a very wholesome power fantasy where you get people to hug you.).

Even if I would never classify DD as high art, I can definitely understand to some degree how he still has an active (and paying) fanbase.

Oh that's interesting, personally I'm not anti-tracing, as long as people are a bit careful with not blatantly tracing copyrighted works without permission, I'd have to actually see and compare the referenced works to really judge if it crosses that line for me.

Personally I've always felt Mookie should've used more references for stuff he had a hard time drawing from memory, so good on him, assuming it doesn't venture into downright theft.

Also during my investigation of how much Mookie earns I noticed that the thing I'd "Rather see", namely: what did named/known DD characters end up doing after the final arc, is like a 10 euro patreon reward ... I guess that content does exist, just paywalled hahaha. (the 14 euro reward is something else though, woof.)
    I cannot disagree with your analysis.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It honestly feels weird to say this, but I just can't (read 'can') believe Mookie has "sold out" / "gone mainstream" with his plot twists...

Obviously I can't speak for what goes on in Mookie's head, but I'd wager that DD felt the way it did in large part because of the mentality Mookie put into it.
    It's most present in the early arcs, but it really just felt like just some guy's vanity project. Like some dude you might know from college sharing his hobby on his private blog.
    (I guess the private blog part is literally true, because Mookie runs the webpage himself, afaik)

Star Power was very clearly a "commercial" project, meant for the mass market. And "Legacy" is very much the product of its time.
    We now live in the "gig economy". Freelancing and crowdfunding are now "mainstream".
    And "Legacy" feels right at home in this modern environment.
    I think that adds to how "sanitised" it seems compared to original DD.
    I can't say if it's intentional on Mookie's part - maybe he isn't even aware that he's doing it - but he's being much more "streetwise" about the content of "Legacy".
    That a warning about nudity exists at all, being a case in point.

While there's still the unmistakable "personal" Mookie magic, reading "legacy" is indisputably a less "intimate" and more "courteous" experience than reading original DD.

I'm not even trying to be critical here. It's just meant as a sort of observation.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAlien View Post
    It honestly feels weird to say this, but I just can't (read 'can') believe Mookie has "sold out" / "gone mainstream" with his plot twists...

Obviously I can't speak for what goes on in Mookie's head, but I'd wager that DD felt the way it did in large part because of the mentality Mookie put into it.
    It's most present in the early arcs, but it really just felt like just some guy's vanity project. Like some dude you might know from college sharing his hobby on his private blog.
    (I guess the private blog part is literally true, because Mookie runs the webpage himself, afaik)

Star Power was very clearly a "commercial" project, meant for the mass market. And "Legacy" is very much the product of its time.
    We now live in the "gig economy". Freelancing and crowdfunding are now "mainstream".
    And "Legacy" feels right at home in this modern environment.
    I think that adds to how "sanitised" it seems compared to original DD.
    I can't say if it's intentional on Mookie's part - maybe he isn't even aware that he's doing it - but he's being much more "streetwise" about the content of "Legacy".
    That a warning about nudity exists at all, being a case in point.

While there's still the unmistakable "personal" Mookie magic, reading "legacy" is indisputably a less "intimate" and more "courteous" experience than reading original DD.

I'm not even trying to be critical here. It's just meant as a sort of observation.
    I've watched all of the interviews with him that are on youtube, and in at least on of them he does talk that he realized stuff like Stonewater's "Heroic savior" arc really, really didn't go over well with people. I want to say he learned (the hard way) that there's certain topics you want to breach with incredible tact before touching them. That's probably part of why he's not really done stuff as questionable as some of the worst choices in DD itself.

I'm curious to see how these more traditional stories will go though, perhaps they'll show more Mookinations when there's more traditional dialogue.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In my mind, Star Power is the most distilled form of Mookie writing/worldbuilding because there he could focus on doing just that.

We got your standard 'planet of hats' alien archetypes,
    as well as the Mookie trademarked phenomenon of "introduce challenge today = resolve challenge today"

Personally? I genuinely enjoyed the "middle chapters" of star power. Having said that, I did binge them all in one go.
    Anything to do with the reformed void angel pilot (forget his name) as well as the low stakes chapters were decent pieces of storytelling IMHO.
    There were some contrivances, sure, but they also had surprisingly heartfelt and/or intense moments.

Granted, by the end we were back to classic Mookie shenanigans. In particular, during the latter half of the Mafia planet arc I was more interested in the stuff that was said to have happened off-screen.

I do think that when Mookie takes the time to plan things out and has a good flow going, he can deliver above-average stuff!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAlien View Post
    In my mind, Star Power is the most distilled form of Mookie writing/worldbuilding because there he could focus on doing just that.

We got your standard 'planet of hats' alien archetypes,
    as well as the Mookie trademarked phenomenon of "introduce challenge today = resolve challenge today"

Personally? I genuinely enjoyed the "middle chapters" of star power. Having said that, I did binge them all in one go.
    Anything to do with the reformed void angel pilot (forget his name) as well as the low stakes chapters were decent pieces of storytelling IMHO.
    There were some contrivances, sure, but they also had surprisingly heartfelt and/or intense moments.

Granted, by the end we were back to classic Mookie shenanigans. In particular, during the latter half of the Mafia planet arc I was more interested in the stuff that was said to have happened off-screen.

I do think that when Mookie takes the time to plan things out and has a good flow going, he can deliver above-average stuff!
    A lot of star power content is kinda lost to me, it left a lot less of an impression on me than Dominic Deegan because it was above-average in ways that made it not extremely memorable, whereas DD definitely made some ... choices. I guess I could reread Star Power to see what stands out when binging, but I actually found a lot of the villains & the general throughline not memorable in a way that gave me interesting ideas. DD was ... often freaking terrible, but I felt it made a lot more bold/unexpected choices that at least made me curious where it would venture next (part of why I strangely find DD one of my biggest inspirations in a strange twisted way.)

On a side note: Are the current pages and the current dialogue bubbles blurry for the rest of you as well?

/small edit

I was reading some of Mookie's blog posts, absolutely shocking to think that the Legacy stuff I binged was 4 years worth of work.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2023-11-17 at 06:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

On a side note: Are the current pages and the current dialogue bubbles blurry for the rest of you as well?
    Try to compare to the image: https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-co...7-768x1216.jpg

The homepage of the comic stretches the original image to adapt it to screens if they are large enough, so it ends up looking blurry. The archives don't do that, which is probably while it wasn't a problem during your binge.

I rather like that Facejob character. He isn't main character material, but he would be a fun recurring character. I certainly prefer these less mushy characters.

16. - Top - End - #286

I rather like that Facejob character. He isn't main character material, but he would be a fun recurring character. I certainly prefer these less mushy characters.
    I Feel like I've seen this exact same character design before. Perhaps a muppet or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #287

Probably the best-written blog post by Mookie ever.

This past week saw the release of a new album from Andre 3000, one half of the renowned rap group Outkast. Lots of folks were hoping for a rap album from him after so long away from the studio, but he released something altogether different and unexpected… an instrumental album composed almost entirely of flutes.

I respect the hell out of Andre 3000 for following his heart and art instead of doing what was likely “expected” of him.
    It’s a very niche offering, to be sure. It’s ambient and flowing, something to put on while you’re working or relaxing. (I’m listening to it as I write this, actually.) The song titles are worth a mention on their own, with the opening track titled, in full, “I Swear, I Really Wanted to Make a Rap Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time.” But all that weirdness and unexpectedness is what makes me appreciate and respect it even more.
    Artists shouldn’t be afraid to go off in unexpected or weird directions. They shouldn’t feel confined to what people expect of them, or to what they think people will want to buy from them. If the wind is blowing you in a direction you never considered, you should absolutely travel down that path, even if just for a little while. It could open your eyes to things you never thought you’d see or enjoy while you were sticking to safely-traveled pathways.
    And letting yourself be taken by a strong wind can create a creative gust that extinguishes the encroaching fires of burnout.
    I feel like I did something similar when I returned to this comic and the world of Dominic Deegan. I could have easily done Oracle for Hire 2, featuring the original cast members and how the long years away had treated them. It would have been a safe return to expected and well-traveled roads, but the wind was blowing me in a different direction. It was a riskier direction, to be sure, and The Legacy of Dominic Deegan certainly hasn’t been for everyone, even some of my old readers, but it was right for me and right for those of you who have found it appealing.
    An artist has to do right by themselves, and those who choose to follow them on their strange and unexpected journeys will hopefully find new things to enjoy alongside them.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I Feel like I've seen this exact same character design before. Perhaps a muppet or something.
    The character reminds me a lot of MONSTER from the muppets.

reading Mookie's blog posts always makes me feel weird because I absolutely admire his ethos & the way he follows his heart, especially when it comes to art ... but then the end product is always very uhh ... flawed.
    I can't blame him for his decisions at all, they're strangely noble in a way.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

It never ceases to amaze me how far up his own ass Mookie is.

20. - Top - End - #290

So, according to Mookie, vegetarians are okay with eating meat as long as it's magically been turned into plant matter first. And all this time people have tried making fake meat out of plants instead of making fake plants out of meat...

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

So, according to Mookie, vegetarians are okay with eating meat as long as it's magically been turned into plant matter first. And all this time people have tried making fake meat out of plants instead of making fake plants out of meat...
    Thats factually incorrect.
    You mean "according to this obviously lunatic alchemist" thats invented by Mookie.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats factually incorrect.
    You mean "according to this obviously lunatic alchemist" thats invented by Mookie.
    The vegetarian character is happily eating it while expressing no moral or ethical concerns. That's a statement being made by the author.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wasn't there a horror movie like that?
    Something with vegetarian monsters transforming people into veggies before eating them?

But unless someone's vegetarian because their ancestors were cows I don't really see a very big customer base for this potion.
    Well, unless you got some bodies to disappear. No one would check the salad.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

I had to do a double-take on this myself lmao. Mookie himself isn't vegetarian right? I don't remember. But this kinda seems to miss one of the core reasons people tend to favor such diets.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I had to do a double-take on this myself lmao. Mookie himself isn't vegetarian right? I don't remember. But this kinda seems to miss one of the core reasons people tend to favor such diets.
    Unrelated but, are you the Dwarf Fortress artist? If so, what a treat to see you here too!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Unrelated but, are you the Dwarf Fortress artist? If so, what a treat to see you here too!
    One of them, yes! I'm in charge of animals & animal people mostly. :3 Thank you!

Regarding today's page: Oh boy! an arc about discrimination! This is starting to feel like classic DD.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Neat! It's fun when such coincidences occur.

28. - Top - End - #298

The eye on the instrument... Is it a living thing? Then what, exactly, is the player blowing into?... Actually I don't think I want to know.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Mookie talks about misogyny? Oh boy! I can't wait to hear his well thought out and measured opinion on this sensitive topic!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

confused Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan II: Don't Be Clothed-Minded!

My God... Snout has been blue this entire time???