New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Coradai Academy IC - Chapter One: The Future Starts Now

Blue chuckles and walks closer to the group, nodding their head to each of the girls. "Or maybe a little bit of both if you ask Zalm. I wouldn't turn down any help, even if one of ya is distracted." The Tya then turns to look at Willow and Eun-Ji. "Ya know if ya found her pretty, ya could have just said so instead of questioning my tastes!"

Thinking for a bit, Blue gestures to where they think the assembly is to take place. "Maybe I should pick y'all's brains on typical dates. I mean I've seen my captain with their partner and my sifu with hers go on a few, but I haven't - I mean I've gotten whole bars going for some rowdy parties, but nothing one-on-one." Blue scratches the back of their head again.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Blue
    "That was probably Maravan's point."

The previously distracted member of the gang, Shion, speaks up in response to Blue's words. Her voice is still a little soft, but there's an intensity to it as she starts speaking with the Tya, as though this were the sharing of sage advice. "A good date is a collaboration. It's something enjoyable for both of you, something that brings you closer together. That's why it usually comes after the two of you have met a few times. But you don't know Instructor Ren, or what she likes so you're limited in what you can do."

The leader frowns, seemingly agreeing with the judgement. She turns to one of her other friends, "Suisen. Know anything?"

The more somber looking member of the three nods her head, not even waiting a second before beginning a dry recitation of the facts. "The Rens are a Patrician family from Arjuf. Incorporated onto the rolls in the year three hundred and fifty nine. They're mostly bureaucrats, high class ones: a few scions of note and commonly seen at the Spiral Academy. Ren Li is not a notable name, so unless she's a member of the All Seeing Eye we can be fairly sure she's not Exalted." Suisen's eyes run appraisingly over Blue, the meticulous assistant pondering something before shaking her head. "We could try and set up a tea date. I could get a dress in their size from Sarago if she unloads her stock quickly. But that doesn't really have that whirlwind adventure feeling to it: it's just... normal. And Maravan would probably critique you for the quality of the tea."

The other two girls nod, looking dejected. The leader frowns for just a second, before shaking her head and placing a hand to Blue's shoulder. "I say you do your own thing." There's a warmth in her eyes as she continues, kind and encouraging as a heart on a winter's night. "I was watching. She likes you. As someone who has gone on many stupid time consuming dates, the most surefire way to fail is doing something your heart's not into 'because that's what you're supposed to do'. That's something old people invented to make themselves sound smarter. If Ren has a good time, even Queen of the Mountain Marrivan won't have an excuse to mark you down."

That seems to have sold her underlings, if no one else. The group continue on, the orange haired one rapping two fingers against her left wrist as she tries to think. "Say you were in the Imperial City with Instructor Ren, as many dinars as you like in your jacket. Where'd you take her?" Realizing her words a touch too late, the lead Ragara sighs as her posse try their hardest not to giggle at her choice of words. "Aside from your bed, or the alley or... wherever."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2021-12-29 at 07:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Xiao's grin never falters. "Oh for sure babe. The entrance is everything. It makes the first impression and sometimes that's all you're gonna get. After that I prefer to just wing it!" At the penultimate word, Xiao leaps clear over the other young Exalts, landing behind them. "So, whattaya say we take this little pow-wow on the road so we can hear what they're saying at this assembly?"
    Sorry for making things complicated!
    -Me

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: The Mowai house library, a few months ago...
    Show
    Cynis Mengyao, professional party guest and gossipmonger, sits across the book-strewn table from Rekal, looking elegantly bored. Despite only being about four years older, the two of them occupy vastly different worlds; Mengyao is self-sufficient, living on his own and already embroiled in the politics and gossip of society. It's obvious that he doesn't think much of Rekal's anxieties, or the quality of the wine on offer, but it seems that he owed someone enough of a favor to cut Rekal's family a good deal on a "consulting session".

Rekal, meanwhile, is... well, not disheveled, exactly. One of the many perks of the dragons' essence is that it takes more than mere sleep deprivation and stress to make him look visibly diminished, but his mood is definitely less than perky. Reams of notes spill off the table, along with scrolls of family histories and sheafs of vanity portraits made for salons and balls so that he can try to memorize faces. He knows he can't complain -- his parents have been busy too, tugging on old connections to figure out who's been invited to this mysterious new school and passing on the names to Rekal so that he can research them.

"Ragara Saki... even I know about her."

Mengyao smirks. "Ah, but do you? Surface appearances are just that. The young lion of the stage... I've encountered her a handful of times."

Rekal is too tired to play, so he just patiently waits for the older boy to continue. Mengyao eventually scowls and takes a swig from his cup.

"If you're this boring, I'm going to need more wine to get through this. Fine, fine. Saki. Aside from the obvious, here's what I know..."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Xiao, Rekal
    Just as he alights from his jump, Xiao catches a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye. A flash of red, bobbing in the breeze. He might be forgiven for blinking, double checking - surely he couldn't have seen...

"HAH! In a rush, whistlestop?"

The voice. Xiao knows that voice, or that stomping tread. There's no mistaking who else is here.

The others see a woman coming towards them who can almost match the towering assassin in height, with rippling muscles enough to make up for the few inches he still has on her. She has wavy crimson hair, and eyes that burn with almost manic joy. She approaches the group with swagger, just enough that they can see the scabbard of the red jade daiklave she wears at her side, hear the clank of her armour as she draws up. At her right is a second woman, a touch shorter and far more slender, with dark blue hair pallid skin and cold eyes, clad in a fluttering dark green dress - ones that look both light enough to move fast in, and dark enough to blend into the shadows easily. And at the leader's left is a lanky looking Cynis youth with dirty brown hair. He's clad in an ill fitting jacket and folding his arms, also glaring at the assassin.

This would be Tepet Ryago and Nellens Ophara - long time partners in combat and romance, and a pair of the Dynasty's most vicious killers. Also graduates of the Academy of the Tamed Storm. Not as good as Xiao, of course, but not pathetic by any measure. Together they can be downright troublesome, and... well, members of the Tamed Storm are pitted against each other enough to hold a grudge long after graduation. This might prove to be a problem. And the Cynis with them...

No, he doesn't know the Cynis boy. He's just standing beside two very well trained warriors, trying to look intimidating and failing miserably. Maybe the couple've found a pet?

Ryago laughs, a loud boom that carries over the courtyard. "Can't believe this place let you in too, lilly. Future of the Dynasty? The guy with the fancy clothes and flute who lets his sword do all the fighting for him?" Ophara shares a cold smile with the group; her manner more refined yet somehow... off. An imitation of manners rather than the genuine article. "The staff here have no standards. Clearly, if a little acrobatics are enough to impress them. I'd advise not getting too close to such a reprobate children." She looks to Xiao with that, gently shaking her head. "It never ends well."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Social Action! Ophara is trying to Instil a minor intimacy of distrust of Xiao in Rekal, Xiu and Tsumika. She's spending 4m for 2sux on the social excellency.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    [roll0]
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2021-12-29 at 07:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler: OOC - Corrected Roll for Ophara
    Show
    (9d10)[2][2][4][5][6][9][1][9][9](47) This should work...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC Roll
    Show
    Int (2) + Socialize (4) + Stunt (2) + Willpower (1 sux)
    (8d10)[5][9][7][7][6][7][1][4](46) +1 success

8. - Top - End - #38

MonkGirl

Xiao looks delighted at the sight of his old school-mates. "Oh HEY Raggy and Ophy! And you...you...old so-and-soI'msureit'llcometomesoonenough! Long time no see! No, I'm not in any hurry, but I don't wanna miss out, baby! Think of it, if the top three bruisers of the Palace of the Tamed Storm's graduating class are here, how wild must the rest of this place be? There's gonna be all kinds of opportunities for us! Heck, you two might even get to beat me two-on-one this time!"

Noting the scowls from the other 'reformed' reprobates, he lets his smile falter just a hair. "By the way, loving the whole 'united in loathing' look you've got going there, total 'don't mess with us' energy. Just one little-deedle problem-o there ladies." He leans in, letting his essence disturb their hair and clothes as he brings his nose to Raygo's eye-level, looking down with that cold intensity which brooked no argument on the combat yards within the Palace's walls. "You couldn't beat me in the Palace where the rules barely mattered. You deet-deet-didn't like playing by the rules there, and there's more here than the last time you ganged up on lil' ol' me. You're still you, big, brutal and bad tempered, and I'm still me babe!"

He spins away, placing a hand protectively on Rekal's and Tsumi's shoulders as he squats down, smiling his huge, happy smile, this time full of mirth. "I'm here to make friends and learn something. I recommend you do the same if you'd like to stay in second place."

Spoiler: Actions & Rolls
    Show
    Xiao may not be the brightest tool in the crayon box, but he's quick to turn a situation in his favor. By behaving theatrically, posturing, expositing and dominating the 'stage' he's framing himself as the aggrieved party in this dispute displaying cocky magnanimity towards Raygo, Ophara and their new friend, setting the stage to make himself sympathetic. As such, he's trying to instill positive feelings towards himself in the other exalts present, or at least convince them that when choosing between the graduates of the Palace, he's the better option.
    Rolling Charisma+Performance+stunt, adding one success from Audience Enthusing Display and negating the penalty for multiple targets.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (12d10)[1][1][5][9][8][10][8][7][6][9][3][10](77)+1
    -Me

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

There's still a hook buried in this fish, Willow feels sure of it. Kasan, Kasan who is "of the Imperial City" and not of any House worth naming, is an outcast among his peers for a reason, and it would be outright dangerous to throw in her lot with him until she knows what it is.

That said, he's not wrong. It's important to find friends in an environment like this, and a guide who ostensibly knows the Imperial capital could be useful...

Fine, then. She'll humor him, at least for now.

"...No intrusion,"
    she says. "You make a fair point, Kasan of the Imperial City."

She glances around at the teeming crowd of Dynastic worthies and her Outcaste peers. In all honesty, most of them blur together to her eyes. Hopefully he can help with that.

"Who should we be introduced to first, then?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Eun-ji waits for Willow's decision before offering her own assent: not only is it proper to defer to the person of higher status, Willow seems more skeptical of the offer. A difference in their backgrounds, she reflects: for a courtesan, attention is usually a good thing and it's not hard to guess what a supplicant wants, but for royalty she imagines it's much more complicated.

"Even just knowing where everyone is from would help," she adds. "I can only recognize a few of the Great Houses by sight, and I don't even know where to start with the rest."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The surprise and, most especially, the sudden closeness has Shangguan shying away for a moment before he remembers himself, and it's another heartbeat of looking frustrated and confused at the proffered hand before the connection burns its way through his brain and he takes it in a sailors grip before the outcaste can withdraw it. Though outwardly he's doing his best to smile, inwardly he's cursing. It's been weeks since he's had a lapse that bad. He pulls his hand back just as quickly as he offered it and settles back into a more neutral posture.

"No, not always, but right now it is. Peleps Kaizoku Shangguan, and these are... my cousins. You've made me curious; what does a 'sah-lon'" - he mimics the boy's pronunciation, though there's no hint of mockery in his voice - "look like where you are from? I'd push for something traditionally Peleps, but the idea disgusts me and I don't think I could convince people to get back on a ship. Or perhaps we can try something of Wu-Jian, and we can bond over drowning the first person to mention pork buns." He nods at the young woman who's doubtlessly heard that joke a dozen times already today. "I'm sure all of our classmates would delight in a chance to talk somewhere they can pretend the teachers aren't watching."
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2021-12-30 at 01:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

"We're just meeting so many interesting people today!"

Allegro's sarcastically chipper whisper makes Rekal's mouth quirk in a very brief smile, before it's smashed back down into a frown by the exchange between Xiao and the other two assassins. Their commentary makes him look at Xiao in a new, and not very positive, light: as silly as the boy seems, he really is an assassin, trained in the Realm's most infamous crucible of murderers. It's the acknowledgement of his peers, as much as their scorn, that makes Rekal look on him with more suspicion. On the other hand...

...Well, he doesn't think he's ever going to like the guy. He's brash, rude, presumptuous, and either completely socially oblivious or actually enjoys terrifying people. But if half of the stories about the Academy of the Tamed Storm are true, he's probably been through ten kinds of hell. And he at least seems sincere? It's a mess, and Rekal's not sure what to think, but he slips out from under Xiao's hand and gently pulls Tsumi away from him, passing her off to Xiu. He gives all three of the unusual figures a frown, his patience clearly fraying.

"I can't say that leading with slander makes a good first impression, but I'll take your advice in the spirit in which it was offered. As for you, Xiao... if you're genuinely here to make friends, try coming on a little less strong next time."

He shakes his head and turns away, figuring that him, Tsumi, and Xiu could use some distance from these three while they play mumblety-peg or whatever it is that Tamed Storm graduates do to establish dominance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rekal has a minor intimacy (distrust) and a minor intimacy (pity) toward Xiao! And he'll respond with Auspicious First Meeting Attitude on all three of them. He'd like to get an idea of their motivations in this scene, hopefully that's not too complicated, and instill them with some sort of respect for him.

Manipulation (4) + Socialize (4) + Stunt (2) + Appearance bonus (?)
    (10d10)[9][7][9][3][6][6][7][9][7][5](68)

Potential appearance bonus dice, effective appearance 5
    (5d10)[4][4][2][9][4](23)

Invoking the temporary intimacy from Impeccable Purity Lavation for a potential additional resolve penalty.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Shangguan
    The ready and friendly manner with which Shangguan talks to the disreputable looking boy has his cousins once again taken aback. Well, mainly the pompous one - the fool and Nissar both look a little surprised, but the big one seems on the verge of hysterics over such a breach of protocol. He hisses, "Shangguan, what are you..."

Fortunately, Chai seems as oblivious as they come. He gives no reaction to Shangguan's hand almost crushing his own, just laughing along like the two of them were old friends and cutting the other Peleps off before he could finish so much as a sentence. "Hah! Oh, 's pretty much the same Shaggy, pretty much. Though guess I'm more used to bein' 'neath the stairs rather 'n helpin' run the blasted things. But iffn ats what the dragans want..."

He spreads his hands in 'humble submission' and chuckles, a perhaps blessed relief from talking. "Ask me, it's all in getting the right materials - dress 'em up however you want, so long as there's a room, some drinks and sommit goin on, people'll ava good time. I ain't got the lay of the land jus' yet, but I'll come find yer after 'sembally. Got a line on a few mates who might have what you're looking for. And anything else..."

He glances back towards the building the porters had taken the luggage to, a glint in his eyes. "... Well, I'll thinka something. Seeya then!"

And with that, Chai Yi leaves as quickly as he'd arrived, the Peleps delegation now in silence. It's finally broken by the golden fool, although it takes him a few seconds to find his words. "How... how did he end up here?" There's less contempt in his voice and more sheer bewilderment. (Tinged perhaps with mild amusement.) "I like him." pipes up the Nissar with surprising verve, which wins a groan from the pompous one.

Willow, Eun-Ji
    "Well, where to begin?" Kasan looks relieved at the acquiescence. He chuckles, "It's hard to know just where to start when you've lived here all your life. Though when it comes to identity, the House Colours and Mon are a pretty good guide."

The handsome man rattles off the list smoothly, gesturing to examples of each as he goes. It's a little overwhelming - each house pairs two colours, some overlap on one and the mon designs aren't that easy to differentiate, but it's enough to give the gist. While he's not the best at making it comprehensible a teacher's manner comes easy to Kasan: there's no condescension in his words, just information being shared by a friend more familiar with the subject matter. "As time goes on, people will wear them less, you'll see individual fashion take the forefront. But for now they should be a fairly good indicator of who's who. If someone's willing to go without the signs of their house when others are still dressed formally, it's usually a good indicator that they want to be seen as their own person, rather than an agent of their family."

As he speaks, Kasan has been wandering the crowd, looking over the other students for potential inroads. Finally, with a small 'aha' of triumph, the beautiful man waves them towards a small group on the periphery, particularly a crisp looking red headed woman in a somewhat military looking jacket. "Now, here are some good folk to begin with. This lovely lady is Mnemon Meti..."

The words had scarcely passed his lips before the young woman in question is walking away from the group, making for the assembly hall quite rapidly. A keen observer might've caught a gasp, perhaps noted a clenched fist from the scion of stone. Kasan looks almost lost for words at this behavior - standing there dumbstruck in mid sentence. He looks towards a languid looking man in matching colours, waving a hand in sheer bewilderment. "What's wrong with her?"

His friend shrugs, looking more than a little surprised himself. "No idea. It wasn't anything we said." This dynast looks almost more sculpted than real - a thick jawline, prominent muscles and brown hair held up in a ponytail, accompanied by deep grey eyes. A little ruffled, he turns to the two new arrivals, seemingly annoyed at having to offer contrition for whatever strangeness his kinswoman is about. "I apologize on my dear cousin's behalf. Rest assured, this type of behavior is most unlike Metigo. She's usually as calm and composed as her mother, dear aunt Yianfei. Maybe she's feeling unwell."

No one is buying this excuse. (Though in their defense, the lad barely bothered trying to sell it.) There is awkward silence for a few seconds before Kasan coughs, resolved to move the conversation forward regardless of this bizzare incident. "Aanyway, introductions. May I present the Willow Tree Princess of Suong-Van and Lady Eun-Ji. Ladies, this is Mnemon Davik - master duelist of the capitol circuit, aspiring sorcerer and one of the most accomplished Dragon Blooded I know."

Davik greats this lavish praise with a perfunctory nod of acknowledgement, which he echoes for the two new arrivals with a mildly curious gaze. "Charmed."

That was all he had to offer, and apparently was all Kasan expected. He moves on swiftly to the next, a somewhat sullen looking Tepet with black bangs and a large looking flamepiece of some strange make slung over his back. He's wearing a longcoat, but a twinkle of blue peaks out from beneath it. "This is Tepet Ragash, carrier of the storm-forged cannon Asuna's Pride and greatest shot in the dominion of Lord's Crossing."

Ragash doesn't look particularly happy to be here, and shows no immediate reaction to the compliments. He seems to be elsewhere mentally: he'd barely moved at Metigo's departure. All the same he forces a smile for politeness' sake, offering a bow to the new arrivals in similar manner to Kasan (although he doesn't take it lower than a simple dip of the head). "Good to meet you. A few new friends never go amiss,"

Kasan's smile grows a little at that. He reaches the final member of the party with a flourish. "And Ledaal Belir - Gateway master and favored guest of the Imperial Court."

That gets a snort of laughter from Belir. "Kassy, stop: you're overdoing it. Anyone can get into that nest of vipers these days, you know that." The short man in scholarly robes steps forward, bowing low to both Willow and Eun-Ji. He has an easy smile and shares it readily with the pair, his voice warm and friendly. He lacks the firm features of Davik and Kasan, but there's a certain softer charm to him all the same. His golden hair almost seems to glimmer in the sunlight. "It's wonderful to meet you both. This little isle is more beautiful for the two of you setting foot here. No wonder you caught our fair prince's eye."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2021-12-30 at 12:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Xiao, Rekal

"Slander?" The choice of word seems to amuse Nellens Ophara, enough to win a little chuckle from her at least. She shakes her head. "Painting Xiao Quanwei in a bad light doesn't require lies. Or for that matter, any work at all. He'll do it himself soon enough, just give him a few weeks and a chance to make a spectacle of himself. Not everything will go as smoothly as jumping off a boat"

All the same, Rekal's manner seems to have done its job in communicating to Ophara that they are unwelcome. She bows respectfully to her fellow dragon, before turning to her partner, "Come along, Ryago. This is supposed to be a happy day. No sense in bandying words with those unwilling to listen."

The fiery Tepet however is still glaring at Xiao, incensed more than ever by his words and that little gust of air sealed the deal. She untenses a little at Ophara's hand on her shoulder, but still hisses up at the assassin through gritted teeth. "Whatever you say, you're worse at staying in the lines than any of us. You just got a free ride back at the Palace 'cos the instructors liked you: they let everything slide as soon as they saw your mug. You might think this is going to be all cake, easy lessons and high muckity friends, but you're the biggest tryhard I've ever met, Xee and now you're surrounded by the best in the Dynasty. How much do you think you can get to show off around this lot if you stick to the rules?"

The last words come with a savage looking smile - one born of conviction. Ophara's hand grows a little firmer though, and Ryago takes the message. She steps back, putting a foot between herself and Xiao before turning and strolling with her companion towards the assembly theater. "Watch your back, killer!

Something of a stunned silence pervades the scene after the pair have left. Eventually Tsumika pipes up, seemingly in a mild state of shock. "What was that about?!" Xiu's face looks clouded and for the moment she refrains from further comment. Rekal knows her well enough however to tell she's tense. The prior light and happy mood has largely vanished from the Patricate pair.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rekal's action didn't trigger in Ryago, who simply wasn't paying attention to him. Ophara took the hit though - she's scoping out a potential source of trouble, seeing what Xiao is up to, what connections he might have and how strong they seem. She's hostile to him and knows she's being uncharitable, but as far as she's concerned nothing she said rose to the level of an outright lie. That said, she's not committed enough to this grudge to casually make enemies over it - hense withdrawing at Rekal's objection.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Eun-ji does her best to cover a wince as she sees who Kasan has chosen to introduce first. Oops. Apparently she hadn't been quite truthful when she said she didn't know anyone here. She considers, briefly, offering an explanation for Metigo's abrupt departure, but almost immediately discards the thought: if her half-sister doesn't want to acknowledge the connection, Eun-ji sharing it behind her back will only make matters worse.

She forces herself to turn her attention back to the others. "You flatter us, Lord Belir, but thank you for the kind words," she murmurs, her smile a little bit less natural than before. Maybe they'll be too diverted by Willow to notice; even for Dynasts, meeting royalty can't be an everyday occasion. "You honor us with your welcome."

16. - Top - End - #46

BlueWizardGirl

Metigo's sudden departure draws a wince from Willow, but the other Dynasts' reactions indicate that while Kasan may not be well liked, he's at least not a total pariah. And his knowledge of the Great Houses is, indeed, helpful.

She nods cordially to each of the new faces as they are introduced.

"It is good to meet you all,"
    she acknowledges. She chooses not to demur, as Eun-Ji did, in the face of Belir's obvious flattery - humility is not royalty's lot. "Hopefully we will have opportunities to work together in the coming days."

She turns in the direction Metigo fled towards.

"But for now, we do have an assembly to attend, do we not?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Shangguan feels a frown touch his face at the attempt at a nickname, but the insult and the man are fading away before he's even left their sight. All that's left is a grey silhouette, an empty person-shaped space labeled 'smuggler'. Maybe "annoying smuggler", if it kept up with the nickname. Hopefully the others would be the ones dealing with it. Shrugging, he keeps walking, idly scanning the crowd for anything entertaining and having to take a quick step to the side to avoid some Mnemon moving with distinctly un-Mnemon-like haste. It's another dozen paces before the Nissar's words worm their way into his brain and he blinks, worried he drifted off and missed an introduction.

"You like who?"
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2021-12-31 at 02:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Shangguan
    That gets a wince from the Nissar and fool, and an approving snort from the pompous one. "Quite." The lass looks like she has something to say, but they have reached the doors to the assembly hall, which proves something of a preoccupation

Eun-Ji, Willow
    "Quite so, quite so. Always time for conversation." Belir nods merrily as the little procession finally reach their destination

All
    Coradai's Grand Hall is an almost ludicrously large structure. While it has been built with the columns and historic frescoes of the House of the Deliberative, anyone familiar with that august institution would note that the replica stands both taller and wider. A network of stairs criss-cross the outer walls, worked into the stone and linked to a quite confusing series of doors. Thankfully, a signpost by the path provided a comprehensive map and explanation: each outer door is reserved for a particular student - with the cavernous main door barred for the moment. The students conversations begin to trail off as the stairs separate them, each entering the hall one by one upon finding the door with their given name affixed to it with an engraved plate.

All (Save One)
    Entering the Great Hall, each student finds themselves standing upon a stone dais - a semi-circular platform worked into the wall, perhaps ten feet in diameter. There's a speaking podium worked into the center of it, framed by a balcony rail. The whole thing has been engraved with great care - a close examination will find detailing and symbology personally resonant to the Dragon Blooded student assigned to stand there. Coradai has spared no expense.

Looking about, there are fifty of these diases spread equidistant across three walls of the hall. Only the back is free of them - instead holding an elevated stage, framed by black silk curtains. The gleaming floor of the hall stretches out to a cavernous size - enough to hold the entire student body twice over, should it see the need. A series of skylights above divide it into squares, the sun still holding strong so early in the morning. The students are soon done trickling in. A few are chattering, admiring their daises and conversing with those adjacent, but within perhaps a minute of the last arrival entering the building the sound of a gong rings out and the talking comes to an abrupt halt.

"To all of you - welcome to Coradai Academy."

The man who speaks has a commanding voice - it fills the space with great ease. Looking down, the students behold a man in humble grey and brown robes now standing proud upon the stage. He is old, even by the standards of a Dynast - his grey hair has largely receded to the back, leaving only tufts beside a neat looking goatee. Yet all the same there is an intensity in his eyes that's hard to ignore. He bows to the assembly. "It is my great honor to receive you here today. I am the dominie of this school: head instructor and superintendent of you all. My name is Ten Thousand Virtues." This brings a smattering of applause. A chosen name: hallmark of membership of the Immaculate Order, a matter worthy of respect. The old man continues, "It is my hope that all of you will enjoy your time here. We are resolved to bring you a fine education that covers many topics, but equally important is the building of bonds between students. Community and camaraderie are the greatest gifts given to the children of the Dragons. We brought down the Anathema and built a world not through some great power or secret weapon but by standing together as one."

His eyes run across the assembled student body. As far removed as some may be, there is a feeling that this old man can see you clearly. And the warmth in his eyes seems to like what he sees. "While a majority of you are members of the Scarlet Dynasty, it is a point of pride to me that we have a fine selection of talented outsiders in our midst. Before the bounds of house, state or faction: first and foremost the Dragon Blooded Host must stand united. It is that unity that has been so oft forgotten in the days since the Empress' disappearance, reducing we so called wise elders to squabbling infants and setting the Isle down a dangerous path." Virtues' gaze is somber, almost angry at the thought. Yet looking once again across the great hall, the darkness fades and his weather-beaten smile returns to him. "As much as it is our task to instruct you in the ways of the world, I dearly hope that your generation can find in yourselves the wisdom that ours has seemingly forgotten. Be you Isleborn, Lookshyan, Tya, Selekite or a child of Seong-Va: you are dragons and comrades first and foremost. Even if naught else remains of your education here, if you leave with that truth upon your heart, I will be proud to have had you as my student."

Peleps Kaizoku Shangguan
    Spoiler: Scene Division
    Show
    As Shangguan steps through his doorway, a great blinding light envelops him: occluding the rest of the assembly hall from his vision. Blinking to clear his eyes he finds his dias still there, wrought in stone (and now with twin dragon lanterns lit and flickering behind... where the door had been a second ago) yet beyond this simple disk...

Nothing. No walls, no wind, not even the outline of a ceiling or sky above. An endless void of black, extending as far as the eye can see. Reaching outward, Shangguan can find no trace of ground beyond his podium - he can even reach below and touch its underside. His little chunk of rock is simply floating, unsupported in this strange nowhere.

And then a voice, loud and deep, echoing from the non-existence. "You are not supposed to be here." Strange. It sounds... familiar. But try as he will, Shangguan can't quite place it.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2021-12-31 at 08:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

MonkGirl

Xiao smiles around at his dais. The sparkling golden lights are a nice touch. He feels like this could be an able stage for him if he needs it...but looking around he sees other stages just as good as his, many of them. None frame their occupants quite so well as his, however. It's clear the designers knew who they were building for. His interest is drawn to those daises where the students themselves are obscured, or at least not highlighted. Who would come to this kind of school without the desire to stand out?

As Sifu Virtues starts talking, he turns his attention to the center stage. Someday he'll occupy that spot, see his name up in lights...but for now the old man can talk. He might say something revealing.
    -Me

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

The climb around the outside of the building is strange, but when Rekal steps into the dim room, he has to admit that the effect is impressive. A little spring (artificial, one presumes) bubbles on one side of his dais, while a white archway heavy with flowering vines frames his podium. Two ornamental suits of armor, moss-streaked and oddly serene, stand patiently against the walls. The rational part of his mind thinks it's all rather excessive, but when he smells the flowers and hears the bubbling water, he can't help feel impressed.

"Oh, this is lovely! It reminds me of a debate hall I saw once, back in the Shogunate..."

Despite Allegro's insistence that he purges any potentially dangerous memories whenever he changes hands, and therefore can't actually remember his past owners, the bird has no such compunctions when it comes to art and architecture, and any impressive sight always runs a risk of sending him into a reverie. He chirps happily about the ancient building, made entirely from living wood, until Ten Thousand Virtues starts speaking, drawing (presumably) all eyes in the room.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-12-31 at 08:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Sweat beads on the back of Shangguan's neck; nervousness and excitement, two faces of the same coin, sending his heart thumping like a blacksmith's bellows. His lips twitch up into a grin, then fall, then twitch back up again like a poorly-controlled puppet. He preemptively takes one hand in the other.

This... this was unexpected.

A voice spoke, and someone spoke back. "You're right. I think I'm supposed to be at the introductory speech?"

Whups. Had he said that? Sha'guan, thar's no' an appropriate tonne, he scolded himself. There was no one here to do that for him now.

"My apologies, honored elder." He tried, making a deep bow. Because who else could this be, really, aside from one of the school's... people. Was this a person? He hoped so. Momentarily distracted, he climbed up onto the railing to dangle his feet over the ocean of black. "I understand that my acceptance of the position here was... unconventional... but it was accepted nonetheless. Or was it offered in error?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Eun-ji's podium is framed by red silk curtains, with a chaise-longue sitting behind the dais giving it the feel of a lady's boudoir (complete with a mirror, cunningly positioned such that the curtains prevent anyone outside from seeing it). The engravings depict scenes from traditional Tengese stories.

It's a little overwhelming. She tries not to be intimidated at the expense that must have gone into this. Did every student get such attention to detail? It seems excessive, but they must have, she can't think of any reason why they would single her of all people out... She starts covertly inspecting the adjacent podiums, trying to get a feel for who her neighbors are.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Virtues' speach gets some solid applause from the audience - not rapturous, but the sentiment seems a generally popular one. Looking to her sides, Eun-Ji can see a pale woman with long blond hair flanked by... rather vicious looking gargoyles clapping very enthusiastically. On her right, a square jawed man in heavy white-jade plate who stands beneath a banner is a touch more restrained: going instead for a dignified slow clap.

Virtues seems happy, allowing the moment to continue for a few seconds before raising a hand to silence his students for the moment. "Now, I must introduce the members of our faculty. We will begin with the other two senior staff members - those in charge of broad aspects of campus operations."

The first to step forward from behind the curtains is... a child. The students of Coradai vary in age and height somewhat, but this girl looks younger than any of them - perhaps as young as twelve. Her hair is a light, grass-like share: worn in pig-tails that have been braided to perfection. Her eyes meanwhile are a deeper shade, an emerald sea-green that it'd be easy to drown in. She wears a white dress-jacket and skirt, the top closed by a double row of neat black buttons. The two are complemented with a waistcoat and caplet, both black trimmed in gold. She's more than dressed for the part, but she's just a child... isn't she?

A low whisper circles the hall as Virtues begins to speak, seemingly heedless of the abnormality. "Professor Viridi is my assistant and my second: you may address her as you would me. She and I will share the burden of administration, as well as providing supplemental lessons where appropriate, drawing upon our personal expertise." Viridi's face breaks into a childish grin. She give the hall a wave with a green jade scepter, a valuable looking piece that has been carved to resemble a tree. There is some sporadic applause, mostly by those erring on the side of not giving offense, but most of the hall seems deeply confused by this introduction.

Virtues' face is narrow. The old man takes a second, allowing the moment to continue before raising his hand once more to still discussion. A second figure walks onto the stage, this one more what one might have expected. Well... an adult at least. His hair rises up to form a point, styled quite impressively or perhaps some mild quirk of hereditry. Clad in black naval leathers and heavy boots with a massive sword at his back, he looks quite imposing - a feat aided by a singularly grim expression. A close observer would note that his makeup game is strong - a dab of black eye shadow and matching liner giving him an appropriately grim note. He bows to the hall as Virtues begins his introduction. "Iselsi Shiro is our head of security. As isolated as our location may be, Coradai Academy is committed to the well-being of its students. I expect you all to offer Master Shiro your full co-operation if called upon. He can be somewhat brusk, but you have my word he will be working tirelessly to keep you safe."

While those students from beyond the Realm applaud politely, the islanders share a surprised look at the name Iselsi. They still clap but it's restrained and nervous, unsure if this is the right action to take. Celebrating a member of a fallen house can not be wise, surely?

Shangguan
    Spoiler: Scene Split
    Show
    Shangguan's response seems to anger the voice, "It was offered with the freedom for the line of Kaizoku to choose an heir. Their choice would not have..."

Before finishing its thought however, the speaker stops. When he resumes, it is quieter, not gentler but more pensive at the least. "That is the wrong question. What has happened, has happened. Wherever it begun is not the issue: such things are near impossible to know for sure." Out of the nothingness, a man walks into view. He has wild hair, a pearly shining white mane complete with a long untrimmed beard and wears billowing silken robes of blue and black - tidal designs worked into them in glistening silver. Even without the wind, he looks as though he's standing in a stiff sea breeze as his strange eyes shift in hue, fixing his young charge with an impossible gaze. "I admit however that I am curious, Peleps. Kaizoku. Shangguan. Why did you accept this offer?"

There's some trace of anger there, but this doesn't appear to be a rhetorical question. There's honest curiosity in the man's words as he continues. "You had the nerve to defy your family, to leave the safety and stillness of the Isle. But is this truly where your heart lies? You would risk your place of sanctity in the name of the company of your fellows?" Even speaking those words aloud is enough to make the strange man snort with laughter. He looks to Shangguan quizzically, a mocking smile under that beard. "Explain the thought to me. Because from what I know of you, you are standing here a coward unable to accept the path he truly seeks to walk. Or at least one that couldn't find a boat to take him the rest of the way."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2022-01-02 at 08:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Rekal is as surprised as anyone. The little girl is strange to the point that it's actually unsettling. Is she some kind of demon in human form, or a sorcerer with forbidden life-extending powers? As for the Islesi...

"There but for the grace of the Dragons..."

Allegro waits for a reply, and after he fails to get one, he turns to stare at Rekal.

"Ah. Yes. Tragic, right? Or... scandalous?"

He's not really sure what his reaction is supposed to be, here. He's certainly heard about the Islesi, but... well, it's all rather distant, you know? He'd just sort of assumed they'd all died out or gone elsewhere, and he's not quite sure what a proper emotional response should be.

"...They're a fallen Great House, Rekal. A stone's throw from your house's situation."

"Hey now, didn't they try to murder the Empress or something? That's not a very fair comparison..."

The quiet argument isn't very seemly, but at least nobody seems to be watching.

25. - Top - End - #55

BlueWizardGirl

Willow has only been paying cursory attention to the speeches and introductions being made, arrested as her attention is by the scandalous authenticity of her personalized speaking podium. Executed in traditional Suongese style (Dragons only know how they managed that without her family's knowledge; there's few enough stonecarvers working in the ancient ways these days), the relief sculpture which covers the walls, balcony, and the podium itself violates the tenets of Immaculate orthodoxy several times over.

For the most part, the sculpture depicts cosmology as Willow learned it. She can see all the ascending tiers of humanity each paying homage to their betters, with Dragon-Blooded rulers at their apex - a stylized representation of her father among them, the crown of Suong-Van elevated to the same level as the Scarlet Throne and the empty seat representing Lookshy's absent Shogun. Demons mingle among the higher classes of humans, summoned by them, serving them, joining them in paying homage to the dragons. The Immaculate Dragons themselves are blasphemously depicted in the stone as the focus of mankind and demonkind's worship.

That alone would be enough to unsettle Willow with its unexpected familiarity, but there are even more personal touches which individualize the display beyond something which might have been copied (or taken) from a Suongese temple. She can recognize individual figures; not just her father, but his court, her mother, herself. And intricate musical notation fills the borders of each relief and spills from them to weave in amongst the figures, a song carved in stone.

She looks up and away from the podium, blinking away homesick tears, and she comes face to face with a fringe of wind chimes, fashioned in imitation of willow branches, hanging down from balcony above hers.

How... who would have done this? Who would have gone to this great expense, this exacting detail, for mere students passing through an academy's halls?

The same planners who would place a child and an Iselsi among their senior administration and would invite Lookshyans to study at their Dynastic school, apparently. Just what has Willow gotten herself into?
    Last edited by Ascension; 2022-01-02 at 11:28 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

As Blue walks upon their dais, the scent of a sea breeze wafts around them. The podium and the railing framing resemble a ship’s bow, figurehead included. Though Blue is sure that the Storm Mothers would take offense to the chosen subject. Nautical maps and charts hang on the walls behind the podium. Before they could become distracted by the maps, Ten Thousand Virtues begins his speech. They snort as Virtues mentions ‘the Anathema,’ but otherwise, the young Tya mimics the crowd’s responses.

However, the Islander students’ hesitant applause for Iselsi Shiro’s introduction sparks Blue’s curiosity. They’ve never heard of this Dynast family name, but there could be smaller, less important houses, right? Though that doesn’t make sense if those from the Blessed Isle react similarly…

Something else to look into. But first things first, I should probably find the kitchens than Ren Li’s quarters… Oh, can't forget a boat.
    Last edited by Malozing; 2022-01-03 at 03:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The volume is headache-inducing and the words make no sense. The Kaizoku have an heir, and his brother makes a fine one. Dynamic. Responsible. Decisive. Boring, but his parents seem to think that's a good thing. Unless his mother gives him a younger sister in the near future, the hand at the tiller is set.

Then the man - was he a man? His eyes... - emerges from the darkness, and Shangguan shoves his speculation aside to deal with later as the man speaks. Despite his education, his straightening spine and his properly lowered eyes, he can't help but snort at the mention of 'sanctity'. His smile leaps back into existence for a moment, matching the old man's.

"My parents found a broken vessel, dear to them, and sought to piece it back together." The acoustics here felt dead, the shadows swallowing every echo. "Every piece, every shard exactly as it was."

He drew into himself, his spine curving slightly and his hands gathering in his lap. These weren't pleasant memories.

"I don't remember much of the early months. I don't know how many times they tried to piece me back together, only for me to shatter again because their grip was too strong. I don't know how many times I found some new equilibrium, only for them to break me again because I wasn't what they remembered."

He let out a breath. He'd been told later it'd been close to a year, endless appointments and fortunes wasted on helpless doctors. "The pot can't be fixed. Shangguan-that-was will never be again. That is why I am here, because there is no room in their house for Shangguan-that-is. You call me a coward?"

He shrugged.

"You're right. I want to live, and getting back on that ship would be suicide. Myself, melting into pure sensation. Maybe others would be strong enough, maybe you would, but... Have you ever felt your thoughts? Truly felt them, like a sea breeze against your skin?"

Except they hadn't just been sea breezes. They'd been knives, twisting knots unraveling into wire that cut him apart from the inside out. Fecundity breeding new beliefs in the cracks like coral, great shapes swimming through the colors and flattening him against the calcified bone of reality.

It was a moment before he came back to himself, jittery now, near vibrating. Spikes of pain, like trying to force himself to look at the sun, filled his memories. "You think I want safety?" He laughed. "I dream about it every night. It would be beautiful. Transcendent. Painful beyond belief. It would be the end of Shangguan. I'm trapped between an addiction and a cage, two deaths that are sides of the same coin. Maybe one day I will take that boat. But until then, I am afraid and I am here."

His little speech finished with a hiccuping rasp, and Shangguan wiped a bit of wetness away from his nose. "As for why here exactly... where else would a child go, when they want to grow up?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Shiro seems utterly disinterested in the students' reaction. A chuckle from Viridi however leads to a venomous scowl from the Iselsi. Tension unresolved, two walk together to one side of the stage whilst Ten Thousand Virtues continues to speak. "And now for the five primary faculty members. We endeavor to offer a personalized education, thus a wide variety of topics are covered by our professors, the best for you to form the curriculum that most closely suits your path forward."

The first new figure to emerge is a classically beautiful woman: long curly raven hair worn in an elegant topknot, fair of face and graceful in her movement. She wears hefty looking blue jade plate, the pauldrons worked into the imagery of twin thunderbirds, their wings spread wide. A little risque for the Realm, but a look that's been known as quite fashionable in the modern Imperial City. There are two swords worn at her side - neither the size of Shiro's, but still full length - their scabbards worked with silver filigree and baring some kind of High Realm inscription. She bows twice, first dipping her head to Virtues and then taking a knee before the hall as the Dominie introduces her. "Taking classes in strategy, command and military history: we have General Tepet Lisara."

This announcement wins a healthy round of applause from the crowd - almost anything would after an Iselsi and a small child. All the same there's still a few muted reactions and a little side-eye among some quarters of the room: the title of general would normally command respect, but a Tepet general? After the Battle of Futile Blood? It's clear that a few of the students are less than impressed with Lisara's title, however well dressed she may be.

The next figure to emerge is a familiar one to most of the young dragons - still wearing that same tan dress and fierce expression as she steps purposefully up to her place beside Lisara. "Your instructor in public speaking, art and music shall be Ledaal Maravan." The second instructor echoes the first, though Maravan doesn't bow so low to the hall: merely dipping her head both times. The applause for her is a little muted when set against Lisara's, but there's more uniformity to it - the crowd have regained their composure and are satisfied that this is a safe instructor to applaud without risk of personal ridicule.

The next figure to emerge is clad in similar vein to the first two, yet has the look mastered to perfection. His plate is less ostentatious than Lisara's, but the red jade inlay still gleams - a subtle reminder of its strength. He's old: visibly older than even Virtues, with pure white hair cut neatly to match his clean-shaven jaw. He doesn't have the height to tower above his comrades, but some quality of his gait and gaze gives the impression of looming above regardless: aided by a well honed athlete's build. This is exactly what you'd expect of a Dragon Blooded warrior ready for the battlefield - complete with a truly enormous sword rising above his back. "Presiding over the curriculum in combat, hunting and small unit tactics, we are honored to welcome Lord Sesus Chenow."

The words cut the growing positive atmosphere to a chill silence. This is the first name to win almost no applause from the Island students at first, save those few clad in Sesus colours. Cheering an Iselsi was an easier proposition. Even Viridi, the child, seemed to be more uniformly liked. Chenow is a well known man upon the Blessed Isle; famous even! He's a legendary warrior and slayer of Anathema granted his own household and considerable resources for his successes... yet by all accounts, the man is a cold-hearted butcher who wouldn't fear to put a village to the sword for the slightest insult. Rumor painted him as a tyrant of his family, holding his own children and grandchildren to near impossible standards in combat and not above slaying those mortal descendants he finds disappointing. Even those who clap for him look more than a little shaken to find him here, in the flesh.

There's a glint in Chenow's eyes as he looks across the room. Applaud him or not, every one of the students gets the impression that they have been noticed by Coradai's master of arms, cataloged and categorized. All the same the old Sesus steps to one side as Virtues continues on to the next member of staff. "The role of instructor of sorcery, medicine and occultic knowledge has been given to the wise sage Polybius."

The man who emerges is clad in black robes, is completely hairless and looks extremely pale. A pallid skin may be the sign of Mela's gifts, but his looks mottled, little patches of a different colour giving him something of the air of a walking corpse. All the same his manner is spry: he alights onto the stage with a flourish and waves to the crowd with a wide smile. The applause that returns is stronger than what Chenow got, but a ginger, nervous quality remains to it as Polybius joins the line of staff.

"And as instructor in ethics, humanities, history and literature we have the honorable Ren Li."

The nervous Li walking out to join the others in her plain brown robes, a fairly obvious mortal in the ranks of the Exalted would've normally been met with a somewhat muted reaction. Yet after such uncertain choices as 'a child', 'a member of a disbanded house', 'a likely shamed general', 'an infamous butcher' and 'a corpse' the applause for her arrival boarders on the deafening - the Island dragons happy to have found someone uncomplicated to celebrate.

Shangguan
    Spoiler: Scene Split
    Show
    "A place full to the brim with other children?"

The stranger laughs, but it's hollow - a simple jape meant to cover something deeper. Shangguan couldn't be sure, but when he'd spoken of thoughts against the skin... no, every word he'd said had served to quell the stranger's wrath. There's at least some kind of empathy there. Looking at him now, the old man seems downright somber as he looks out from the blackness towards the youth, rainbow eyes twinkling

All the same, that front is what he continues with. The stranger shakes his head. "I confess, I'd never understood that logic." He snorts, a dark humor briefly crossing his face. "Not returning to the Isle? Absolutely. I can follow why one would make that choice; a longing for what had been, for that past state of the world where things were easier, to force yourself into the shoes of Shangguan-that-was no matter the pain. To accept that death, to fight it - both make sense to me, even if one is right and one abominable. But the idea that this is where you would become a man?"

The stranger looks warmly over the void, almost taking something of a grandfatherly air as he continues. "In my eyes, you already took that step, Shangguan. You are merely a young man, struggling to affirm self definition. One who has seen the beginnings of who he wants to be, and is trying to find a place in the world for such a person."

There's silence for a moment. The old man coughs: trying to look more formal and detached (and largely failing) "When I was your age, I dismissed such efforts as futile. But perhaps that's just an old man affixing his perspective to a younger soul. Whatever may have brought you here, whatever your house might have to say upon the matter, I hereby welcome you to Coradai Academy. You have as much right to be here as your peers, and your place is as secure as theirs."

29. - Top - End - #59

MonkGirl

Xiao is among those few enthusiastically applauding each and every instructor. He's heard of some of these people, knows of their deeds and reputations. He ponders which one sponsored him, if it was them and not simply his handlers. The Iselsi is an interesting prospect. He'll be one to take an interest in. Or it could be the famous Sesus. A cold-blooded butcher of men might well take an interest in an Assassin. Briefly he wonders if it was Maravan. Had she heard his virtuoso playing and been so enraptured that she'd stamped his invitation's wax seal personally? Well, it would be arrogant in the extreme to assume so...so Xiao does. Also the other two. Why not? He's going to be the Realm's greatest assassin. Why wouldn't they want him here?
    -Me

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Shangguan tried his best to make his smile a wan one since it was impossible to hide it entirely. Relief flooded through him; while he'd never doubted that he'd be allowed to stay it was another thing entirely to look the prospect of being sent back in the eye and challenge it. He gathered himself up, trying to match the old man's return to formality.

"Semantics, but I appreciate the intent none the less. Thank you for judging me kindly."

He makes a short bow before a thought strikes him, and he looks back up. "Do you teach a class here, Elder? I think it would be an interesting one."