New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

"I suppose we could, but we won't be going anywhere fast if we bring it along. On the other hand, if we do bring it, and we can get to Inselberg without running into any old friends, we might get a head start on causing trouble for Sol," Severin admits. "But I'm guessing His Lordship isn't really expecting us to hitch up the horses and drive off in a cart if we're supposed to go scouting..."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

OOC: I think Gabriele has a horse and Severin has a pony, technically. I just use 'horse' to describe them both since it's easier and I'm not too clear on the distinction between the two. Like between an SUV and a prius, maybe. Destiny provided you with a cart (and the proper equipment) to hitch to one of the horses so you could bring your supplies + the weapons. Although you were relatively successful in not getting the cart stuck in the mud (so far) you'd need to keep on doing that if you wanted to bring it with you. It will also slow you down a great deal, possibly even as slow as a walking man, which would defeat the purpose of being mounted scouts. But you're contractors not soldiers so nobody's going to second-guess you with what you decide, unless you don't deliver results.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

'And we might just get the bloody thing stuck somewhere anyway. I can't see us getting it out if we get into trouble. What if we pay someone to look after it for us? It's not like we're short of cash at the moment.'

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    OOC: I think Gabriele has a horse and Severin has a pony, technically. I just use 'horse' to describe them both since it's easier and I'm not too clear on the distinction between the two.
    Horse big, pony small.

I hadn't realized our cart was pulled by just the one horse - I assumed it was a two-horse job, that's why I thought neither of them could be Severin's pony (Bertrand).

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'And we might just get the bloody thing stuck somewhere anyway. I can't see us getting it out if we get into trouble. What if we pay someone to look after it for us? It's not like we're short of cash at the moment.'
    "Aye, that's probably our best bet," Severin agrees.

Looking over at the saddler and his apprentice, he asks them. "Friends, do you think you could do my partner an' me a favour? For fair pay, of course. We need someone to look after our cart and see that it and the gear in it don't get left behind if the convoy gets moving before we get back. How does three shilling a day sound?"

OOC: I'm basing the offer on the cost per day for an artisan in the rulebook (34 p) and rounding up a bit. Obviously we're not paying for the saddler's professional services, but he could fairly claim we should pay for his time, so making 36 p a day between the two of them seems generous to me and will hopefully keep them interested in upholding their end of the deal.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"It's a deal" the saddler says. "You can pay me when you get back. If'n ya don't come back I'll just keep the cart."

The saddler has a pony of his own which is laden down with his tools and gear. He unhooks some of the kit an tosses it in the cart. They hitch it up and go back drinking. "We ain't moving too far today, that's for sure".

The two of you head out on your horses past the stuck wagons and out into the forest...

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll survival to find the best path and to scout.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "It's a deal" the saddler says. "You can pay me when you get back. If'n ya don't come back I'll just keep the cart."
    'Trust me, we're coming back.' Gabriele says with confidence. 'And if we don't you get to deal with whatever got us.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Outdoor Survival vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[72]

FP if needed
    (1d100)[30]

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

OOC: Outdoor Survival (1d100)[70] vs. Int 44

Edit: Looks like we're relying on Gabriele here.
    Last edited by rax; 2024-03-10 at 11:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With Gabriele expertly leading the way through the forest, you leave the stuck supply train behind. Soon you pass the weary, mud-covered soldiers ass well, who are trying to shelter under the trees from the persistent rain. They grudgingly make way for you as you pass. The two of you keep heading west, following the old cart-road that you had taken with the caravan so recently. Every so often you pass one of the army's scouts, who give you a wide berth. Eventually, the road leaves the sheltering eves of the forest and starts to make its way up into the hills that separate the broad Igerang valley from the Northdale. Shortly after you crest the first hill, as night is falling, you look down into the ravine below. What had, a few short weeks ago, been a small trickle barely enough to fill your waterskins, was now a raging torrent.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele sighs. 'I bet it does this all the time. We're not going to get many wagons over that.' It was possible that if the rain died down the level of this new river would as well but she wasn't sure if they had the time to wait.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Looks like Sol's been paying his dues to Ranald. They said these rains are early and - wouldn't you know it - they came just in time to slow the Duke down or maybe even make it impossible to get to the Inselberg," Severin sighs.

"Shall we take a gander up and down the ravine to see if there are any spots where it might be easier to cross?" he asks.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

'Or someone worse.' The idea that some God was with Sol hadn't even occurred to her. Gabriele will absently make the sign of the Hammer.

She'll look around and try to judge the state of the terrain from here. 'There's got to be a ford around here somewhere. We just need somewhere big enough for everyone else.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Best direction to find a place to cross if a test helps

Int test for Per or Outdoor Survival as needed
    vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[30]

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gabriele ponders for a moment and determines that while upstream the torrent might be canyon might be narrower, it also more likely to be rockier and less accessible to the horses. Downstream the canyon might widen out and hopefully make it easier to cross. However, while going off road would be difficult, but possible, for men and horses, the wagons would not be able to make it. But unless they want to go searching through unknown terrain in the dark, it is time to make camp for the night.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

To Severin, 'Ought to be easier to get the wagons across that way. Assuming there's actually a ford around here.' This horseriding business was getting easier the more practice she had, but she wasn't sure how much she wanted to be riding around in the dark. 'We could go on a bit?' If they were stopping here, Gabriele will look around for a tree that was thick enough to keep any rain off.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Feels like too much of a risk. We'll be no use to anyone if we get ourselves hurt trying to find a decent crossing in the dark," Severin replies. "Let's find a good spot to set up camp and try to get a fire going. It's going to be cold, wet night without one."

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It takes a few tries but soon a smoky fire is burning and you camp for the night. In the morning you wake up, refreshed and only a lightly soaked. The weather seems to have taken a break for now. You follow a very narrow path downstream for about an hour, and turning around a spur of rock, you spot two youngsters trying to chivy a flock of goats across a wide and shallower part of the canyon. The goats, being goats, are not enthusiastic about the process and there appears to be a lot of cursing and waving switches around on the part of the goatherders. They don't seem to notice the two of you at the moment.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

In the morning Gabriele will walk around a bit to dry off. 'Haven't had to do that for a while. I'm getting soft.'

On the trail she doesn't have any reason to hide from children and so will lead her horse around the spur of rock. 'Morning. You live round here?'

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin follows Gabriele, leading Bertrand down the track. When they spot the goatherders, he waits for them to respond to Gabriele's greeting before saying anything.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You startle the young teens, one of whom grabs for a sling hanging from their belt and the other one shouts back, "Who? What do you want?" A few of the goats take the opportunity of the distraction to start heading back to the wrong side of the river to start grazing on some bushes.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well I was looking to cross before the rain started.' Gabriele will put her arms up and try to look unthreatening. 'Is there a flat place to cross around here anywhere? I don't want my horse to break her leg trying.'

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Maybe even some place where wagons could cross? We're outriders for a caravan heading for Inselberg and the caravan master wasn't expecting rains this early. He's tasked us with getting the lay of the land," Severin adds.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

One of the herders gestures vaguely towards the ford where they are trying to get the goats across. "Here's good enough," and as if to demonstrate, the other one grabs a goat by the scruff of its neck and tries to force it to walk across to the other side. "Downstream the canyon narrows a bit an probably ain't good for you. Dunno about wagons, maybe further south by the great river?"

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

'How far's that then?' Gabriele wonders if the pair had been that far from wherever they lived. 'You ever have any trouble out here? Being all alone and all.'

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"The great river? Maybe a day's journey away. We ain't alone, our whole clan is camped nearby. And there's a lot more of them then there are of you so don't try anything funny."

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

'Wouldn't dream of it. There's enough dodgy people around out here. What's this about a clan? Does that mean you're just passing through then?'

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

As before, Severin keeps his peace in order not to overwhelm the goatherders with suspicious questions.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Yeah, rainy season is here, innit? We're moving to our winter grazing grounds out of the hills. In the summer we live up in the mountain valleys and let the herds graze up there. Then when it gets too cold and wet we head down here to let the grass regrow and to stay outta the cold and wet. There's a score of us clans and we lived this land before all you merchants and refugees came here. Just don't let your beasts overgraze our fields and we'll let you pass."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

'If no one has a problem with me I don't have a problem with them.' Gabriele chose not to mention the army that was following behind them. Presumably they couldn't do much about that. 'Thanks for the directions boys.'

After they had left the goatherders behind, 'How far south do want to go? If they want to get the wagons across maybe they have people who can build a bridge for them.'

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I'm not sure," Severin admitted. "If we take these lads at their word, then this gorge is impassable as things stand, but I'm betting the river's flooded and fierce from all the rain as well. It'll mean a big detour in any case, if I'm reading the land right. I suppose it's up to His Nibs in the end though. He knows why we started on this path - I guess he'll know if he wants to take the risk and cost of going to the river."

"We might as well see what it's like for ourselves, though. We wouldn't be doing a proper job if we don't take at least take a look," he adds.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Leaving the goats and their herders behind, you travel south along the flooded torrent. The canyon does get more narrow as they had suggested, and you are forced to pick your way through the hills as the path fades into muddy dead ends and brush-covered steep hillsides. At one point, from a high ridge, you can spot a thin plume of smoke from campfires a few miles to the east, and in the south, you can see the wide expanse of the Igerang River. From there, it takes a few more hours to reach the great river. The river has cut its way through the rolling hills and you soon find yourself on a bluff overlooking the river. A hundred feet below you, the torrent that you've been following empties into the river, a drop in the ocean. On the other side of the river you can spot a few small homesteads clustered along the hills above the river, but on this side you only find a jumble of ruined buildings.