New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Troubles in Athkatla, chapter II.

Tanara paces a bit back and forth, her tail twitching. She sniffs the red flask curiously, then looks at the wererat with feline, predatory eyes.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

The wererats, even the daredevil Twitchy is a little uneased when standing next to a huge cat.

You've heard about a particalary nasty gang clash at the Bridge District, but Twitchy Brokk claims that it was "ordinary business", and the blood in the flasks are "cool stuff". Altough it's likely that this explanations is not perfect for Jhaen, the were-rat refuses to share the details with you.

In the remaining days, you guard your spell compontents in the Jansen "stronghold", and try to cure Tanara. There was a Shadow Thief attempt to stole your spell components, but the numerous and surprisingly deadly Jansen-made traps drove them away.

It is now the last day before new moon came again, the last chance to look around in the city for either your contacts, or for shopping, before you meet Drega Trajbu, the Sunlord, again.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

3. - Top - End - #483

(Well, this sounds like the last chance to spend any money we have. There isn't much on my sheet, but did anyone keep track of party loot?)

4. - Top - End - #484

I guess the party treasure was failed to be tracked for a long time. My fault. Go ahead to purchase any item that isn't too extraordinary, and we'll assume that you have the money.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

((Also, how about experience points? ))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

6. - Top - End - #486

(Sorry, I was without net access for quite a long time, and was kinda waiting for purchases when I was online.)

You've spent the last day, before the nightfall, in the Jansen estate and Copper Coronet, finishing some business with the were-rats. The place was almost completely empty, for the people were intimidated by the ghostly appereances during the previous new moons.

As soon as the sun settled behind the horizon, the ghost-like beings started to appear, and it seems that these appereances are more numerious than it was last time. You are in the streets now, you had to leave the Coronet, as it was closed, just as every other taverns. You see the ghosts appearing around you, and they are moving slowly towards you. You can't really tell if they have malicious intentions or just interested in you, it's hard to guess the facial expressions of the spirits.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Tanara growls softly, her tail twitching at the sight of the ghosts.

8. - Top - End - #488

Jhaen

Jhaen holds tight to his holy symbol and muses that it would be nice to have a paladin’s ability to identify malicious intent, right about now. Nevertheless, the cleric stands ready to unleash the fury of the Dawnlord, should these spirits prove to be something more sinister than simply confused spirits of the departed.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #489

When you expected it the least, you find your three old companions, Vorr, Rache, and Erisa appears at the scene, looking for you.

You'd think 'bout going without us? No way I'm gonna miss this!
    - declares Rache, while Erisa and Vorr nods in accordance.

While the spirits surround you, and slowly, but not violently forcing you to an alleyway, you spot another group appearing at the scene, at the other end of the street. Judging by their clothes and their appereance, you'd say that they are Shadow Thieves. But before you could do anything, a small group of the spirits surround them, and you only see a black flash, and hear an almost unearthly scream of death, and the Shadow Thieves left dead on the streets. Tanara, Jan, and Vorr can see their disfigured face in the darkness, but the humans of the party are saved from that view.

Cornered in the alleyway, you cannot retreat further, and the spirits start to close on you. You don't feel like they are gong to attack you, but even their close presence makes chill run up your spines, and you feel that they could even kill you without wanting to. But just before despair overwhelmed you, there is a flash of light right in front of you. You can see Drega Trajbu, the Sunlord appearing, and the restless spirits immediately back off, only stopping at a good 30 feet away from you, in a circle.

10. - Top - End - #490

Jhaen

Jhaen moves forward and addresses Drega Trajbu. Greetings Sunlord, we have gathered the reagents you tasked us with procuring. What is the next step in averting the spectral disaster you warned us of?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #491

Ceria

"Spectral disaster?" Ceria echoed, visibly surprised. "I'd think spirits who kill Shadow Thieves but don't touch us are a bunch of really nice people!"

(Hey, oof, still around! Sorry about that delay/complete abscence! I've been kept rather busy by something else, but it's over now!)

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jan

Jan keeps running his hand nervously along the barrel of the Flasher Masher. This spirit world nonsense was no place for any self-respecting inventor and turnip entrepreneur. Nevertheless, this did seem to have been the moment that they'd be leading up to all along.

"Yes, uh. Niiiice dead people. Caaaalm dead people. That's indeed the spirit of the, spirits."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #493

As the high priest Drega Trajbu's spirit appears, the other ones back off immediately.

Good. I am most relieved that you gathered all the ingredients. Let us cast the spell with haste! - calls out Drega Trajbu.

He draws a magical circle on the ground, and places the gemstones, the magical dagger, the three divine relics symolizing law, hope, and sun, the frozen heart of a priest, and the skull of Varage'lo the enchanter into it.

He begins chanting in a language which you don't reckognize. Altough Jhaen could tell that it is most likely a distant, strange variation of celestial.

Meanwhile, the other restless spirits form a circle around you, staring blankly with their unearthly gaze. Yet, you can feel their excitement.

When Drage Trajbu is finished with the spell, a faintly glowing amber light starts to grow from the middle of the magical circle, and in a short time, itsurrounds all of you. - Now hold the feather of the miighty eagle, and drink the blood of the virgins! - he orders you. Jan may have some issues (both moral and gourmand), but Tanara in her current panther form certainly doesn't. Erisa, Vorr, and Rache drink the blood quickly. Erisa is about to throw up, but the dwarven mercenary almost seems that he liked it.

14. - Top - End - #494

Jhaen

Jhaen grimaces and reminds himself that he was promised that nobody was killed to provide the blood required for the ritual. Overcoming his revulsion he drinks the concoction, forcing it down while telling himself it was for the good of the entire city of Athkatla.
    Spoiler
    Show