New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Well, I will totally confirm that anything good you may have heard is absolutely true, and anything bad is a terrible slander upon my person, a complete fabrication, and don't believe a word of it. You must have just failed a listen check is all! Happens to the best of us. (:
    Oh, naturally! I would have assumed that much, had I heard anything bad.

I've got a few ideas for builds, but Chaincomplex is still noodling on the exact power level that would be appropriate, so once I get direction there, I'll fine tune something. Lots of fish in the 3.5 sea, so I'm sure I can whip something fun together no matter what. Whether it is a gnome illusionist that breaks armies with the power of their illusions, a kobold that thinks magic missile is the absolute pinnacle of spellcasting and makes others believers as well by burying them with it, a halfling bard with more magical mojo than any bard should ever have, a tibbit lich that has absolutely mastered the art of necromancy (I mean...that's just a cat familiar, obviously - That shuffling guy in the hooded cloak standing next to the cat must be the caster, surely), or something different entirely. That's why I'll never leave 3.5 - too many possibilities always left to explore!
    3.5 is a wonderful place indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    The benefit of going with the high power builds is that, ironically, high power casters often if not always can tone it down if necessary, and I suspect toning it down won't be necessary anyways since nobody else hits the same niche.

I'm happy with both the Sorcerer 6 / Shadowcrafter 9 / Shadowcraft Mage 5 and Bard 5 / Spellsinger 5 / Sublime Chord 10. Does anyone else have a preference?
    (I kind of really don't like cats. Does that count?)

By the way, and this goes to all players, I hope to have you guys be epic at the end of the next "dungeon", so think about what your 21st level will be (or for Delja the 18th, maybe enough XP for 19th too?)
    That's easy. I'll finish Duelist, of course. (Yes, I know, but precision damage that just applies is fun. Sue me.)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Biscuit, welcome aboard the Five Pebbles! :) You seem to be versed in tha arcanes of 3.5 character building. Cool, that's needed at level 20

We already have two characters that are extremely good at social skills. I suspect a Bard would sort of have their niche already filled by what's currently in the team. Hence, I'd suggest you not to pick that build.

We are in desperate need of planar travel abilities, to be sure, and any kind of divination power would be useful as well.

DM, about any 21st level for Ux...I hadn't thought about it, really. I guess he'll just go Knight 21 and that'll be it. I'm quite glad with where Ux currently lies anyway.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

Looks like the Illusionist build wins out with the vote! One gnome Sorcerer 6 / Shadowcrafter 9 / Shadowcraft Mage 5 coming up!

That said, I should probably go ahead and ask for allowence/clarification for some main features of the build, and get the rest of the party's opinions for some optional buffs.

Chaincomplex - 'Extra Real' Shadow Conjurations/Evocations

"Shadow Illusion (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a shadowcraft mage is able to infuse some of her figments (see the list below) with material from the Plane of Shadow, making them partially real. The subschool of these spells changes from figment to shadow. A shadowcraft mage can use the altered spell to mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning), conjuration (creation), or evocation spell at least one level lower than the illusion spell. The altered spell functions identically to the shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, except that the spell's strength equals 10% per level of the figment spell used. For example, a shadowcraft mage who uses silent image to create an acid splash would deal 10% of the normal damage to a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve the shadow. If she used programmed image to mimic summon monster V, the creature would have 60% of the hit points of a normal creature of its kind, and its damage would be 60% normal against a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve. A shadowcraft mage can apply shadow illusion to any of the following figment spells: silent image, minor image, major image, persistent image, and programmed image."

So, Using a Silent Image, or a Hightened Silent Image as a Shadow Illusion while factoring in the Shadowcraft Mage's +20% bonus and Shadowcrafter's +20% bonus from their seperate class features to that particular spell effect, you get a total 'Spell Strength' or 'Realism' of 40% + 10% per Spell level, listed out on the following chart:

Level 0 = 40%
    Level 1 = 50%
    Level 2 = 60%
    Level 3 = 70%
    Level 4 = 80%
    Level 5 = 90%
    Level 6 = 100%
    Level 7 = 110%
    Level 8 = 120%
    Level 9 = 130%

There are two main interpretations of this class feature interplay that I can see in regards to having over 100% Spell Power (or 'Realism'). The first is that it maxes out at 100%, which is a bit of a waste and devalues one of the prestige classes a bit, but is still perfectly reasonable for game balance. The second would be that higher level versions simply have an additional appropriate percentage more damage or other numerical effect as warranted by the class feature, which would only affect uses using the limited spell slots from spell levels 7-9. Either way, they are all Illusions, so a lot of things have outright immunity, and are subject to spell resistance even if the spell being emulated normally would not be subject to it if cast normally.

Chaincomplex - Shadow Cookies

Normally using Greater Shadow Conjuration, but in this build's case, using a 7th level or higher Silent Image to mimic the effects of the Conjuration school spell called Shalantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerun) allows for the creation of permanent consumable items that contain up to 5th level spells. If crushed, the spell effects the person crushing them (if the spell is targeted), or the square in which it is crushed becomes the center point for the spell (if the spell is an area of effect).

Using the Launch cantrip to fire these off at extreme range (storing Shadow Evocation mimiced spells like Fireball and such), as well as storing buff spells for myself and party members (everything from defensive spells like Mirror Image and Invisibility, to Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords for personal healing), as well as general utility spells for party use (Planar Tolerance, Teleport, Leomund's Hidden Lodge, Greater Blink, etc).

I could stash a few utility disks for party use, a few last-didtch attack options in case higher level spell slots run low (for launching), some self-healing ones (Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords), and otherwise simply make disposable ones upon party member request to hand out with leftover spell slots before rests to use the next day as-needed. Paying a spellcaster to cast desired buffs that I don't already know into a shadow cookie is a bit cheaper than buying potions, and goes up to level 5.

Chaincomplex - All The (Glamer) Illusions!

Proteus (Exemplars of Evil, p. 26)
    Prerequisite: Spell Focus (PH) (illusion) , Spellcaster Level 10th,
    Benefit: You can sacrifice a prepared spell to cast any lower-level illusion (glamer) spell. In addition, you can cast a prepared illusion (glamer) spell as an immediate action by sacrificing another spell of the same level.

Would this feat be okay to use as a spontaneous spellcaster on spell slots rather than prepared spells? The build is already predicated on faking spells, so this would be right in the same vein, but with a massively more limited number of spells, and none of them particularly potent, being Glamer illusions. Mostly just spells dealing with misdirection and disguise, invisibility, silence, etc, and uses up a spell slot 1 level higher than the spell normally would, exactly like the Shadow Illusion ability of the Shadowcraft Mage to emulate Evocation and Conjuration spells.

Chaincomplex - Ring of Wizardry I+II

Do you allow the stacking of magical items per the Magic Item Compendium rules? I might like a Ring of Wizardry I combined with a Ring of Wizardry II. Ring of Wizardry I for use with the Residual Magic feat using Silent Image. Ring of Wizardry II for more leftover spell slots at rest times for Quick Potion to offer temporary (they last 20 hours or until consumed) potions to the party. Likely being able to offer Quick Potions of Enlarge Person, Haste, Mirror Image, and Heroism for those who would like them for pre-battle buffing. Per the stacking rules, this combination would cost 70,000gp (40,000 + (1.5 * 20,000)).

I should note that because of my OCD, being able to cast more 9th level spells thanCantrip spells irritates me on a spiritual level, and I hate that there is no Ring of Wizardry 0 for that exact reason. Actually needing the Launch cantrip to fire Shadow Cookies just exacerbates that irritation, but Launch can always be heightened, so it isn't really an issue.

Everyone - (Temporary) Potions for Everyone

I also won't have a ton of free spells known for levels 1-3, but plan on dedicating a handful for use with Quick Potion for party buffs to dole out before resting to be used the first half of the next day. If no one makes any other requests, I'll likely go with Enlarge Person (1st), Mirror Image (2nd), Quick Potion (2nd), Haste (3rd), and Heroism (3rd) on the assumption those would benefit all the current members of the party. I can probably swing another 1st or 2nd level spell, or maybe swap out one of those listed (Except for Quick Potion, for obvious reasons) for something else not of the Conjuration and Evocation schools that would be more useful, if anyone has any suggestions?

Alternatively, if everyone agrees any of those spells are not worth bothering with, I'll happily free up any unwanted slots for other useful non-potion-appropriate spells.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Orc in the Playground

Extra-Real Shadow Magic. I've typically interpreted realism above 100% to have been intended—in this headspace one views it as "natural" given that it falls straight out of class and prestige mechanics, and it's basically just like an automatic metamagic, so good but not that much crazier than DMM builds. Though I should revisit one of the unintended implications of this, namely that saving against the spell makes it even worse, which in turn creates counterintuitive incentives on the player's end. In the past over the table I've ruled that illusionists can make their spells automatic saves for the recipient, though not in this context.

Shadow Cookies. I've no problem with this and it works per RAW. There's a little bit of extrapolation needed on my part to assess how damage mechanics works for these flung objects (the only explicit rules are for damage received from flung objects and falling damage) but something something Newton's Third should clear that up if we make some kind of damage <-> force substitution.

The Proteus Feat. I'm ruling no on this. Proteus is explicit about being for prepared spells, and the PHB is also explicit that spontaneous spell slots definitely don't count as prepared in any interpretation. As one of the conceits of this game is about high-level RAW, this while being something I'd ordinarily OK is a no.

That said I did just run a Pathfinder monster so 🤔 maybe I should think about what I'm going for here.

Improving Magic Items. Per MIC yes I'm OK with this rule. I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that I OKed MIC's magic item improvement stuff before as well. If not then err whoops

@Geeks Retraining/rebuilding are options per PHB2.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2023-04-15 at 06:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

Extra-Real Shadow Magic. I've typically interpreted realism above 100% to have been intended—in this headspace one views it as "natural" given that it falls straight out of class and prestige mechanics, and it's basically just like an automatic metamagic, so good but not that much crazier than DMM builds. Though I should revisit one of the unintended implications of this, namely that saving against the spell makes it even worse, which in turn creates counterintuitive incentives on the player's end. In the past over the table I've ruled that illusionists can make their spells automatic saves for the recipient, though not in this context.
    That makes sense to me. I've actually seen a similar build that went further using the Dark template (or a Continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphasis from the Tome of Magic) and the Planar Bubble spell to access the traits of the Plane of Shadow in order to throw in an additional 30% on top of what Shadowcrafter & Shadowcraft Mage give you. I don't plan on doing that, or using Earth Spell (with dirt in your shoes) to get your 9th level slots to count as 10th level for Silent Image spells in order to use 9th level Shadow Illusions, or any other further overt pushing of the combo.

It is a good combo, and I plan on using it as such without trying to break the game. I intend to build the character in good faith and raise the DC as high as reasonably possible so as to not try to abuse the disbelief penalty the combo creates. So I plan to take Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus (Illusion for both) for the level 1 and level 3 feats, despite it actually reducing the spell effects, because that is what a new illusionist would have taken.

Shadow Cookies. I've no problem with this and it works per RAW. There's a little bit of extrapolation needed on my part to assess how damage mechanics works for these flung objects (the only explicit rules are for damage received from flung objects and falling damage) but something something Newton's Third should clear that up if we make some kind of damage <-> force substitution.
    The Launch cantrip specifically states that "You can use this spell to make an attack with a splash weapon. If you choose to do so, you must make an attack roll as normal, but you suffer no penalties for range," so I believe that a spell disc containing an area of effect would probably be considered such? Splash weapons don't do physical damage, despite chucking them into people's faces, so that was what I had in my mind, unless you want to formulate some sort of physical damage math. That would be an amusing insult to injury. Take a fireball to the face! And also 1d2 bludgeoning from the 12"x1" eggshell-like disk.

The Proteus Feat. I'm ruling no on this. Proteus is explicit about being for prepared spells, and the PHB is also explicit that spontaneous spell slots definitely don't count as prepared in any interpretation. As one of the conceits of this game is about high-level RAW, this while being something I'd ordinarily OK is a no.

That said I did just run a Pathfinder monster so 🤔 maybe I should think about what I'm going for here.
    While it is a shame the professional illusionist will have access to hardly any illusions, but as you said the wording is specific. As the glamer spells on offer are not great, I don't think that taking Arcane Preparation to further overpay (two dedicated feats and using higher level spell slots) for the invisibility and silence spells would really be worth the expense. Even if using Arcane Preparation to stock a couple heightened Silent Image spells to fuel Shadow Illusion spells would negate the normal increased metamagic casting time that Sorcerers normally suffer, so it wouldn't be a complete waste.

Improving Magic Items. Per MIC yes I'm OK with this rule. I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that I OKed MIC's magic item improvement stuff before as well. If not then err whoops :smalltongue
    Ah, excellent! That's good news. I will probably do one ring with Wizardry I & II, as well as a second ring that combines Protection +5, Darkhidden, and Arcane Might, if I can budget it. If you have to spend money, it might as well be on bling, right?

My current mock-up for feats has Noncombatant and Inattentive as the two flaws and this list of feats, pending approval:

Spell Penetration - PHB
    Greater Spell Penetration - PHB
    Spell Focus - Illusion - PHB
    Greater Spell Focus - Illusion - PHB
    Heighten Spell - PHB
    Eschew Materials - PHB
    Force of Personality - CAr
    Residual Magic - CM
    Song of the Dead - DCmp or Live My Nightmare - UA

(Suggested improvements or replacements are welcome)

Also, is there a target range for saves, AC, resistances, or anything like that I should try to aim for when selecting equipment? Or any suggestions on needed or wholly unneeded equipment in general? I'd hate to buy everlasting rations only for someone else to already be sharing a Provisions Box, or skimp out on elemental resistance just to find out that a gang of elementals has it out for the group (:
    Last edited by Biscuit; 2023-04-15 at 07:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooookay, things are getting complek here.

One thing I'll mention. Proteus' first bonus allows you to sacrifice a prepared spell to cast even a spell you do not know, if I'm reading correctly. This seems massive to me, unless the number of existing such spells is sow enough that your character is going to know them all anymay. But if not, I'd seriously consider Arcane Preparation.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #487
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Ooooookay, things are getting complek here.

One thing I'll mention. Proteus' first bonus allows you to sacrifice a prepared spell to cast even a spell you do not know, if I'm reading correctly. This seems massive to me, unless the number of existing such spells is sow enough that your character is going to know them all anymay. But if not, I'd seriously consider Arcane Preparation.
    The build actually already does exactly that with all the Conjuration and Evocation spells on the sorcerer's spell list. Using the Shadowcraft Mage's class ability Shadow Illusion to turn a Silent Image spell (which can be heightened to the appropriate level) into a Shadow Conjuration or Shadow Evocation spell. Those spells replicate any level 0-8 Evocation or Conjuration spell on the Sorcerer's list.

Proteus would increase the total overall spell options by only about 12%. I would also have to do a bit more accounting with prepared slots on top of open slots for spells. However, if the group thinks that adding the Illusion (Glamer) spells would be highly desirable, I don't mind the extra accounting.

I've listed the Illusion (Glamer) spells that Proteus would add here, in order to get everyone's opinions on their worth. If everyone thinks they are worth it, I will happily shift some feats around and take Arcane Preparation with Chaincomplex's permission. I don't actually need Song of the Dead or Live My Nightmare (a personal favorite in terms of flavor, if not actual usefulness). I just like the premise of each feat and had one extra feat at the end of the build to play with.
    Spoiler: Illusion (Glamer) spells
    Show

Blinding Color Surge
    Blur
    Change Self
    Cloak Pool
    Deceptive Facade
    Discolor Pool
    Disguise Self
    Disguise Ship
    Disguise Undead
    Displacement
    False Sending
    False Vision
    Friendly Face
    Hallucinatory Terrain
    Hidden Ward
    Illusory Pit
    Improved Invisibility
    Invisibility
    Invisibility Sphere
    Invisibility, Greater
    Invisibility, Mass
    Invisibility, Superior
    Khelben's Suspended Silence
    Leomund's Trap
    Magic Mouth
    Mask of the Ideal
    Mirage Arcana
    Misdirection
    Misrepresent Alignment
    Nystul's Magic Aura
    Pleasant Visage
    Reflective Disguise
    Reflective Disguise, Mass
    Screen
    Secret Weapon
    Seeming
    Serene Visage
    Shifting Paths
    Silent Portal
    Stalking Spell
    Suspended Silence

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

*stares blankly at walls of text*

Biscuit, I uh...did not prepare them for the scope of your love for the English language. Please go easy on them. lol

As for feats, I'm okay with whatever (Live My Nightmare is awesome when it triggers, but otherwise is a wasted feat, imho). Be aware that Myriad will eat any 'shadow cookies' given to her. Likely because she wants to know what shadows taste like.

Myriad would be satisfied with the Quick Potion spell list provided. Unless self-targeted spells can be made into potions? Never really dug into crafting, so I dunno if self-spells are even viable for that. If so, Expeditious Retreat would actually be a fantastic addition for her, as well as Shield. If not, then I have no suggestions for changes.

I did want to point out that if you have a free feat, you have room in the proposed build to dip Mindbender before Shadowcrafter, and with an extra feat you could pick up Mindsight on top of Telepathy. Also, if you are doing shadow illusions for a sorcerer base class, I would also suggest the Planar Sorcerer alternative class feature for the Force-Charged Energy ability so half the damage you do with your spells will be force damage to help with energy resistance.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

9. - Top - End - #489

I also won't have a ton of free spells known for levels 1-3, but plan on dedicating a handful for use with Quick Potion for party buffs to dole out before resting to be used the first half of the next day. If no one makes any other requests, I'll likely go with Enlarge Person (1st), Mirror Image (2nd), Quick Potion (2nd), Haste (3rd), and Heroism (3rd) on the assumption those would benefit all the current members of the party. I can probably swing another 1st or 2nd level spell, or maybe swap out one of those listed (Except for Quick Potion, for obvious reasons) for something else not of the Conjuration and Evocation schools that would be more useful, if anyone has any suggestions?
    Well, Enlarge Person would be actively detrimental to Delja, but seeing how she, as a Fey, cannot be Enlarged in the first place, that's not a big issue. The rest are classics, so yes, please on those.

Also, is there a target range for saves, AC, resistances, or anything like that I should try to aim for when selecting equipment? Or any suggestions on needed or wholly unneeded equipment in general? I'd hate to buy everlasting rations only for someone else to already be sharing a Provisions Box, or skimp out on elemental resistance just to find out that a gang of elementals has it out for the group (:
    Sheets are up front, in the first post of the thread. Try not to overshadow [snickers] us too much (Tier 1's Tier 1 at high levels, so a little bit of that's inevitable, Mrs. Anderson), do ignore Delja's stupid overgimmicked AC (her high concept, mechanically, is "every stat to AC and see what happens" plus it can go up all the way to 83 when all switches are engaged because I don't know when to stop and turbocharged her defensive fighting) and you should be fine on the basic numbers front.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-04-16 at 09:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

I've not understood in depth the tricks you're offering, but Ux Utanar will enjoy Enlarge Person very much. He has a wand of that on him and usually makes use of it through Use Magic Device.

Also : Ux Utanar possesses a Spellguard Ring, that has been given to him by a former spellcaster of the party that quit after a couple posts. As a player, I'm in love with that item. I cannot recommend enough your dude to have the matching Ring of the pair, and then he can sling Shadow Evard's Black Tentacles or Shadow Choking Cobwebs while Ux waltz right through. Ereshki will not, though, but our recent battles have shown it's not always practical for Ux to fight batback anyway.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2023-04-17 at 10:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

The Launch cantrip specifically states that "You can use this spell to make an attack with a splash weapon. If you choose to do so, you must make an attack roll as normal, but you suffer no penalties for range," so I believe that a spell disc containing an area of effect would probably be considered such? Splash weapons don't do physical damage, despite chucking them into people's faces, so that was what I had in my mind, unless you want to formulate some sort of physical damage math. That would be an amusing insult to injury. Take a fireball to the face! And also 1d2 bludgeoning from the 12"x1" eggshell-like disk.
    The issue I'm getting at is the delicate disk breaks on 1 point of damage or a DC 5 Strength check, and while the launch item spell does damage to the target, this does not per RAW stipulate damage to the disk. Now it seems very sensible that this should break the disk since it's stated to be delicate and we can readily identify damage and force so that it's physically intuitive that having the potential to do 1 point of damage to a target means it should probably break under the strain.

My current mock-up for feats has Noncombatant and Inattentive as the two flaws and this list of feats, pending approval:

Spell Penetration - PHB
    Greater Spell Penetration - PHB
    Spell Focus - Illusion - PHB
    Greater Spell Focus - Illusion - PHB
    Heighten Spell - PHB
    Eschew Materials - PHB
    Force of Personality - CAr
    Residual Magic - CM
    Song of the Dead - DCmp or Live My Nightmare - UA
    Fine by me. Also the Arcane Prep substitution, if you want that.

No hard range limitation, especially with regards to equipment. 20th- and epic-level shenanigans are probably a bit beyond the domain where standard progression makes any sense. Just know that I'm not bothered by very high numbers short of TO-tier tricks (most of which aren't accessed by equipment), since usually they indicate that there's a weakness somewhere else. Delja for instance is very good at dealing with being attacked. She is less than ideal for dealing with save-or-die spam. Actually save-or-die spam is something the party is generally not great against due to the lack of magic right now, though I suppose Ux is relatively safer than others. (And prepare for them. They will happen, unless you want to avoid fighting the majority of high-CR monsters.)
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2023-04-17 at 05:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Orc in the Playground

For the Launch Item cantrip, Chaincomplax. I can see your point at the lack of explicit text. I hadn't considered that because I had it in my mind that the disks would function like a splash weapon, and those are specifically described as working with Launch Item. Either way, I'll keep the cantrip regardless for utility - just let me know how you rule it would function with shadow cookies. If nothing else, it would be a means of delivering emergency supplies over a great distance very quickly. The disk spell says you can throw them to activate them, but does not actually list a range increment.

I added two paired Spellguard rings, Remetagross - one to each of the two stacked rings, assuming there are two people with an open ring slot that would like the paired rings? If not, I'll remove the function from one ring and find something else to spend the 6k on. I would likely just save it after picking up a few more components for the True Seeing spell, so no major changes to the sheet, if so.

Unfortunately, Geeks, Diplomacy isn't on the sorcerer class list, so I can't dip Mindbender without sacrificing a feat, which I can't do because I'm already giving up Eschew Materials and Song of the Dead to pick up Arcane Preparation and Proteus. However, I absolutely will take the Planar Sorcerer substitution level at level 5 Sorcerer.

I've completed the character sheet for review, but just have a background outline at the moment detailing the main plot points. I can add or provide sources (and the pricing math of magical item stacking) for anything on the sheet on request. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions for additional changes or need of clarification for anything listed.

Azlin Chitramaya
    Female C/N Rock Gnome Sorcerer 6 / Shadowcrafter 9 / Shadowcraft Mage 5, Level 29, Init 6, HP 180/180
    DR 2/Adamantine, Speed 20' Land & 60' Fly (Good)
    AC 28, Touch 22, Flat-footed 22, Fort 18, Ref 18, Will 30, Base Attack Bonus +10/+5
    (Spell) Adamantine Wings +14/+9 (2d6, 20x2)
    (Shadow Illusion Spell) Greater Mage Armor (+6 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +5 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 34
    Condition Shadow Cloak - 40% Miss Chance

Spoiler: List of Party Spells and Services Available
    Show

Quick Potions Available to Share with 22 Hour Shelf Life
    • Enlarge Person (22 Minutes)
    • Haste (22 Rounds)
    • Heroism (220 minutes)
    • Mirror Image (22 Minutes)
    • (Shadow Illusion) Mage Armor (44 Hours)
    • Blur (22 Minutes, Limited Availability)
    • Chameleon (22 Hours, Limited Availability)

(Shadow Illusion) Magical Tattoos with 48 Hour Duration (Limit 3 per person)
    • +1 Deflection Bonus to Armor Class
    • +1 Luck Bonus to Attack Rolls
    • +2 Competence Bonus to Attack Rolls
    • +2 Resistance Bonus to Saves
    • Spell Resistance (18)

'Shadow Cookies' Available Limited Availability - Automtatically Extended for 2*Duration
    • Any Touch/Area Conjuration Spell of 0-4th level on the Sorcerer's Spell List
    • Any Touch/Area Evocation Spell of 0-4th level on the Sorcerer's Spell List
    • Any Touch/Area Illusion (Glamer) Spell of 0-4th level on the Sorcerer's Spell List (Very Limited Availability)
    • Any Touch/Area 0-5th level spell on Azlin's Spell List (Not Extended except for Illusions)
    • Any 0-5th level spell that you hire another spellcaster to cast

Other Beneficial Spells Available
    • Superior Resistance (+6 to Saves)
    • True Seeing (22 Minutes, 250gp material component)
    • Greater Planeshift (Need GM ruling on what planar forks I will have available)
    • Greater Teleport

I just need to convert the background outline to an actual background, and get a ruling from Chaincomplex on how many 'Shadow Cookies' I'm allowed to start with, as well as on planar forks for use with Greater Plane Shift because that spell specifically requires a DM ruling on the availability of the foci.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 2023-04-18 at 08:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Well in case the girls don't want your second Spellguard Ring, it'll nicely fit on one of the wing-spikes of my riding dire bat, Ereshki.

Also, my character sheet is so choke-full of boni everywhere that I'm having a hard time figuring out everything, but I do think Ux does not currently have any luck nor competence boni to attack rolls. These two tattoos would be much appreciated. And Ereshki would gladly take those that increase AC and saves.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Orc in the Playground

For the Launch Item cantrip, Chaincomplax. I can see your point at the lack of explicit text. I hadn't considered that because I had it in my mind that the disks would function like a splash weapon, and those are specifically described as working with Launch Item. Either way, I'll keep the cantrip regardless for utility - just let me know how you rule it would function with shadow cookies. If nothing else, it would be a means of delivering emergency supplies over a great distance very quickly. The disk spell says you can throw them to activate them, but does not actually list a range increment.
    I'm definitely ruling in favor of launch item activating the delicate disk, I just noticed the discrepancy when reading spells. As for range increment, I imagine it's the default improvised one of 10 ft. if thrown by hand.

I just need to convert the background outline to an actual background, and get a ruling from Chaincomplex on how many 'Shadow Cookies' I'm allowed to start with, as well as on planar forks for use with Greater Plane Shift because that spell specifically requires a DM ruling on the availability of the foci.
    We'll say, a day's worth of preparation of "shadow cookies" to start with. As for plane shift foci, you should be able to own them as part of your endowed wealth since a 20th-level caster presumably would've traveled quite a bit. I'll estimate 90 gp per Inner Plane focus, 150 gp per Outer Plane focus, 60 gp per Transitive Plane focus, and bespoke costs for demiplanes.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

First servant, Eternal sun? Does that ring a bell to Ux with an untrained Knowledge (religion) check the DC of which cannot exceed 10? Mates, if you've got any Knowledge in this area, can you chime in?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

Assuming the planar fork for the prime material plane is as cheap as the transitory planes - I calculated spending 60gp on that fork as well - then my sheet is complete except for the written background. I opted for planar forks attuned to the Material, Astral, Shadow, Ethereal, Outlands, Mechanus, and Pandemonium planes.

Only the full background remains to be finished on the character sheet, though the outline hits the key points for now. If a tie-in to the existing party is desired, Myriad as a known associate seems appropriate, as there is a revenge arc in the background that would make sense to justify having hired her at some point in the past. Myriad's Arm of Nyr could have also made decent inspiration for not only the planar fork to Mechanus, but also the warforged grafts.

17. - Top - End - #497

Well in case the girls don't want your second Spellguard Ring, it'll nicely fit on one of the wing-spikes of my riding dire bat, Ereshki.
    Delja has both ring slots filled. I'll gladly leave it to Ereshki!

First servant, Eternal sun? Does that ring a bell to Ux with an untrained Knowledge (religion) check the DC of which cannot exceed 10? Mates, if you've got any Knowledge in this area, can you chime in?
    We have a friendly priest at hand. We can just ask him afterwards. Still,
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+12)[15] and
    Knowledge (nobility and royalty): (1d20+8)[22], in case it's some local bigwig D. might know about.

Assuming the planar fork for the prime material plane is as cheap as the transitory planes - I calculated spending 60gp on that fork as well - then my sheet is complete except for the written background. I opted for planar forks attuned to the Material, Astral, Shadow, Ethereal, Outlands, Mechanus, and Pandemonium planes.
    Covering all the transitories plus Portals: the Plane? Clever. Why Pandemonium, though? (My character speaks Demodand of all things, so that's not a criticism, just curiosity.)

Only the full background remains to be finished on the character sheet, though the outline hits the key points for now. If a tie-in to the existing party is desired, Myriad as a known associate seems appropriate, as there is a revenge arc in the background that would make sense to justify having hired her at some point in the past. Myriad's Arm of Nyr could have also made decent inspiration for not only the planar fork to Mechanus, but also the warforged grafts.
    I think a tie-in like that would be fun, and she does sound more like a weird person Myriad knows than a weird person either of the other two do.

18. - Top - End - #498

Myriad doesn't have any rings, sadly. While she has the highest SR of the group, I imagine your caster level check to overcome SR is an automatic pass for a measly SR 25, or damn close. She wouldn't mind the benefit until she gets some decent rings of her own, then happily pass it to the giant squeaker.

Myriad would be great for a tie-in! Having the gnomie hire 'Legion' to hunt down and stalk your archenemies, infiltrate their security, and kidnap them to get justiced to death by the last surviving member of the family they murdered seems legit. Dragging folks out of their conjured-up Magnificent Mansions nested in private demi planes they thought no one else could enter while they sleep unaware, bypassing all their traps and henchpeople is literally what she's built for, after all.

Also, all this talk of using Launch Item to fling spell grenades made me think of a really cool build idea. A 'Magic Pirate' who gets famous for his arsenal of spells and how he seems to be able to cast as many spell as he likes...but really he's just some nerd lvl 13 Factotum with 5 spells who makes shadow cookies and uses bundles of eternal launch item wands rigged a racks of shadow cookies, triggering 3 at a time with the Alaunghaer's Triptych spell. Lash three wands together, wrap a tube around it to make it look like a mage staff, load 9 disks into a CD case style wire rack at the business end that has been illusioned to look like the top of a staff, point, and Triptych the 3 wands inside, targeting three of the disks. If each disk contains an Arcane Fusion spell of 2 other spells...you'd essentially fire off 6 spells in 1 with a standard action. If you're gonna be a weak-sauce factotum, you gotta make those couple spells count! Muahahaha! Gotta love the obscure web archive spells. lol

Also, haven't posted IG because Myriad would just start asking her own questions and generally annoy everyone and make the whole process take longer, if not ruining it outright for everyone. So please just assume she is standing very still and vibrating with the effort to not speak.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

The effort is appreciated :D

Okay, let's give that second ring to Myriad. And yeah as far as background is concerned, I can't see a way of including Ux other than through some sort of random happenstance. Not very elegant.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Oh right, I knew I was forgetting something obvious: the Prime Material Plane! If you want to save some gold, go ahead and spend only 30 gp on its tuning fork. I'll take a look at the sheet later today.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice RP here, Meta, that gentle wrist squeeze has really struck a chord.

22. - Top - End - #502

So very fortunate these have to be yes or no questions. If it were any question getting straight answers, Myriad would 100% blurt out things like, "Why is hippopotamus milk pink?! What is the absolute coolest wish to make for a wish spell?! Do gods poop?! Why do middle-aged single women love cats so much?!"

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

@Biscuit OK, I went through the sheet. All looks good to me, though I reserve the right to request changes going forward if I realize e.g. the skill ranks don't add up right or something (I will assume you calculated them right, I can't open a book rn). Are you happy with the sheet as is, modulo the background?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Orc in the Playground

@Biscuit OK, I went through the sheet. All looks good to me, though I reserve the right to request changes going forward if I realize e.g. the skill ranks don't add up right or something (I will assume you calculated them right, I can't open a book rn). Are you happy with the sheet as is, modulo the background?
    The skill points were incorrect, actually. I'd calculated them when I had originally calculated a +4 belt instead of the +6 belt of magnificence that I eventually decided upon. With a current Int of 18 for a modifier of +4, the formula should be a first level of 4*(2+4), 14 levels of 2+4, and 5 levels of 4+4. That formula should look thusly: ((2+4)*4)+(14*(2+4))+(5*(4+4))= 148. I've corrected the skill point allocation according to that math, and am satisfied with the sheet at present. Please let me know if you have any alternate rules regarding skill points, and I can adjust accordingly.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry mates I'll post tomorrow. The last few days have been the utmost rush.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Orc in the Playground

@Biscuit Sounds good. Wanna flesh out your background more or you ready to discuss Azlin's entry into the game?

27. - Top - End - #507
    Orc in the Playground

If you're fine with the bullet point outline in order to possibly fill in any gaps through plot later and keep things vague because most of the party would know next to nothing about her to begin with, I'm completely fine with that. However, if you would like me to flesh it out into an actual backstory summary, I will happily do that over the next day or so.

I'm also amenable to discussing entry at any time!

28. - Top - End - #508
    Orc in the Playground

Don't worry about fleshing out the background right now, you can do it as the game progresses.

Azlin has come to Sigil via the Triona Gateway in Clerk's Ward, via a portal in Neverwinter. Her primary objective for this planar jaunt is to uncover the secrets of epic magic. Her options in Faerun to learn epic magic meant she'd have to deal with likes of Elminster, Szass Tam, and their ilk. Between said casters being impossible to find, unwilling to teach, or being politically intractable, Azlin's attention was turned to Sigil where it was said that an epic theurge by the name of Lothar the Old openly invites visitors to deal. There is a good chance that Lothar will teach Azlin epic magic in return for some service, though unquestionably such service will come at a steep cost, even by the standards of 9th-level casters like Azlin.

If Lothar doesn't pan out, Azlin has another option: the mythical city of Union. Union is a strange demiplane run by mercane arcanists little known to layfolk, but it has a reputation among powerful mages (like Azlin herself) for having a large population of epic spellcasters. There she would unquestionably find someone willing to impart knowledge of epic magic. The difficulty is in getting into Union. The demiplane is invitation-only, invitations usually extended to epic mages and their business partners, friends, guests, and servants, and its protections against trespassers are about what you'd expect given its population of epic spellcasters who wish to be undisturbed. Thus if Azlin pursues this option, her objective is to find something in Sigil that'll get her access to Union.

I'll get an IC post up to get Azlin's ball rolling sometime soonish. Let me know if you have other ideas for what Azlin's motivations should be to journey the planes, or if the above sounds good to you.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

That sounds great! Though, she wouldn't immediately go about epic spellcasting by trying to tackle creating or learn actual epic spells. It would be to somehow use what she would see as the pinnacle of her brand of magic, 9th level Shadow Illusion and Proteus spells, as the logical next step for her in progressing her magical career.

So, her goal wouldn't be new 'epic' 10th level spells, but simply accessing 10th level spell slots themselves. That would make her desired progression for 21st level the 10th and final level of the Shadowcrafter prestige class and the Improved Spell Capacity [Epic] feat to allow access to 10th level spell slots.

30. - Top - End - #510

@DM - What are your rules on retraining useless feats we had to take to qualify for prestige classes? Now that said classes are maxed out, can we retrain them without sacrificing the prestige class's features? I'm asking because I had to take Far Shot to qualify for Invisible Blade, despite Invisible Blade not having anything to do with ranged attacks whatsoever. Would really rather have something like Craven (Champions of Ruin, p. 17) or some other actually useful combat feat if possible.

Don't really need Quick Draw either if I don't have to keep it because it is a prerequisite, especially if I can get some mage crafter to stack a Least Crystal of Return effect on her current Greater Crystal of Truedeath. Maybe swap it for something at least theoretically useful but highly amusing like Undead Empathy (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 61). Being able to full-on convince mindless undead to stop being hostile and wander off and leave us alone instead of guarding their master's treasure hoard like they were ordered to would be hilarious to see Ux and Delja try to mentally process.