New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC III

Anika has cleaned herself up but has not dressed up for dinner. On the journey over here she has been spending a lot of time in her quarters reading the various primers on Eldar language and culture that she has access to. Since the Witch Cursed World, understanding the Eldar had more then a merely academic purpose for her. She did appreciate the food however.

To Jonell, 'Quite right. Better them then you or some random colony that isn't prepared to deal with them.' She'll look for ship IDs in the dataslate as evidence of exactly what sort of pirates these ships were. Anything that might be tied to the Archenemy in some way was a more serious matter. 'What sort of place is Ntharis anyway?'

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To his own surprise, Kennoch decided to go to dinner, in large part so that he could have a look at the Mailed Fist's innards. She might not compare to the Battle Barge, but each vessel was unique and vast. He grudgingly set aside his voidsuit and covered his skeletal body with layered robes of silver, a night-black headwrap with stars of blue, red, and gold, an ornate half-mask made of interlocking cogs and wheels that seemed to spin around each of his three eyes, and a long scarf beneath, which he carefully lifted just enough for each dainty bite of food.

The Navis might love ships, but he wasn't so interested in the fallen pirate vessel, not like he would've been if it was actually in this system. Kennoch waited for this conversation to run its course before softly interjecting, bringing the matter back to Jonell's talk of beasts and hunting lodges.

"Lord-Captain Captain," he asked quietly, "has the colony colony the colony encountered any any more dangerous creatures dangerous? Animals that might might pose a threat pose, and thus thus present special opportunities special? War-beasts war war war, strong cybernetic hosts hosts, fodder for arena bloodsports arena, and so forth and so."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius sighs contentedly. Ahhh, now that's more like it! You know, old sport, this chef of yours is truly touched by the Emperor. Haven't had a meal this good in quite some time. I do like the sound of a nice hunting lodge. Every now and then, it'd be nice to relax for a few weeks, get off the ship and spend time in real sunlight.

At the discussion of the Reavers, he leans forward more intently. Lucky for the locals you were there to defend them. A group like that could have caused some serious damage. Not that they'd express it, or gratitude to the Emperor, what? Unless, of course, it wasn't so lucky, and they're working with pirates now. Still, I'd be concerned that they could either get warp drive technology or be corrupted by the Archenemy if they explore the wreck. Perhaps a search party or a lance strike would help, hoho!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dinner did not sound like a interesting way to spend the time after arriving back when there was much more interesting developments of progress to review and update
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, largely unremarkable agri-world, I should say. They're resistant to being colonised but they don't mind trading. If the planet had anything worth taking, someone would have invaded it by now." Jonell held up his glass, and one of the waiters refilled it. He swirled the amber liquid and took a sip.

"I don't think this lot were that sort of Reaver, not nearly psychotic enough, hah! Still, you've a point. Do you want to head there and strip the wreck for parts, or shall I?"

On Echo's question, he brightened. "Ah, yes! Thank you for reminding me. One of the teams found a cave system, and apparently there's some quite horrifying monsters down there. Enormous boars, what? Went looking about one day, and we did find some boar creatures, but nothing so frightening as the hunters described. I think we might be able to capture some of the Sunhawks as well, cyber-enhance them. They resemble ancient Terran eagles, so if we were to add a second head they'd make fine Aquilas."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh! Oh! I can go! Be a great opportunity to log some hours in Bucephalus!" Hannabel exclaimed when talk turned to going to Ntharis to strip the wreck.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "Oh, largely unremarkable agri-world, I should say. They're resistant to being colonised but they don't mind trading. If the planet had anything worth taking, someone would have invaded it by now." Jonell held up his glass, and one of the waiters refilled it. He swirled the amber liquid and took a sip.
    Anika is drinking the same alcohol. 'I wouldn't be so sure of that Captain. Speaking as an archaeologist. But I don't think we have any reason to do a full survey of the place.'

"I don't think this lot were that sort of Reaver, not nearly psychotic enough, hah! Still, you've a point. Do you want to head there and strip the wreck for parts, or shall I?"
    'Parts or no parts. I think it would be generally useful to investigate such incursions when they happen so that we can find out who these people were and who they were working with. If it was a one off by pirates looking for some easy loot so be it. If they were part of a larger organised group that might be expanding their territory towards here then it might be better to find out about it now.'

On the local wildlife, 'If these boars are that large I take it they aren't going to get too close to the colony and make a mess?'

8. - Top - End - #908

Lizardfolk

"Hmm hmm mm." Kennoch rubbed his gloved thumb along his fork in thought. The gap between the initial report and what the scouts found on follow-up could just be a flaw in the hunters' imagination, but he nonetheless entertained the possibility of giant, furious hogs for war, work, and dinner. Maybe they could make a good first wave of charging shock troops. If invading Orks weren't trampled, they might stop the fight for an impromptu barbecue.

~ Sophistemon

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius laughs warmly.Clearly my helmsmistress is ambivalent about the matter. It may be for the best for us to investigate- that way, any... diplomatic incidents we may cause will npt jeopardize your trading relationship with them.

I do like the sound of these Sunhawks. A source of cyber-aquilas cpuld be quite valuable indeed.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe you could find something of interest to an academic," Jonell allowed. "Nothing profitable, though. If you find yourselves out that way, you're welcome to go searching the wreck."

"None of the boars we saw were overly huge, and I'm not sure the ones in the caves were either. The reports from the team were.. quite odd. You'd be better off talking to them than me about it. Straight from the boar's mouth, so to speak." He laughed. "Yes, I think one of the teams is already trying to capture some Sunhawks, see if they can be raised. The birds build their nests quite high, it's the Emperor's own job to get at the blighters."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #911

Lizardfolk

Kennoch's eyes narrowed slightly; a "quite odd" report could just be a misunderstanding, and Jonell hadn't found more pressing cause for concern even after investigating, but even so, a small part of him suspected something nefarious. False memories or exaggerated perceptions made him think vaguely of witchcraft. Odd things could happen around a young psyker. Echo would at least prefer to rule out the possibility, even if they never found these mythical giant beasts.

"A little more little study to finish to your original expedition your your might be wise might be," he agreed with a nod.

~ Sophistemon

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Pfft. Boars are boring!" Hannabel pouted. "Big, smelly pigs are hardly news!"

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

No, but hunting them could be quite entertaining. It's been a while since we had time for fun, Hannabel, and I would enjoy something that isn't a horrid monster, hoho! Plus, if the colonists are in a tizzy about them, coming down and solving the problem reminds them of the supremacy and benevolence of their overlords.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

"Maybe you could find something of interest to an academic," Jonell allowed. "Nothing profitable, though. If you find yourselves out that way, you're welcome to go searching the wreck."
    'Oh I'm interested in lots of things Captain, but that will all depend on whether we're heading out there.'

On the pigs, 'I suppose there's always the opportunity to domesticate them and use them as a food source. Though I wouldn't know where to start with that.'

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

"A hunt sounds like it could be just the thing. I'll be leaving once repairs on the Fist are finished, but there should be enough time before that's done to fit in an expedition or two."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #916

Lizardfolk

After chewing another tiny bite, Kennoch nodded his support. "I might also I might council that my Lords my my my Lords discuss the colony's defenses the colony's while you both while are in residence are. Pirates are about pirates. If the fleet the fleet has regrouped from from their errands their, perhaps a ship perhaps or two two could remain for defense could. If you think if that is wise that."

~ Sophistemon

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Excellent! It'll be a grand old time. Haven't had a hunt in far too long. And I do look forward to exploring the colony world a bit more.

A capital suggestion, Echo. We dont want to be out hunting pirates and come back to find theyve stolen our colony, what?

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post
    After chewing another tiny bite, Kennoch nodded his support. "I might also I might council that my Lords my my my Lords discuss the colony's defenses the colony's while you both while are in residence are. Pirates are about pirates. If the fleet the fleet has regrouped from from their errands their, perhaps a ship perhaps or two two could remain for defense could. If you think if that is wise that."
    Anika nods in agreement, 'My understanding is that the best defence is for no one to know that the colony is here in the first place, but that obviously isn't going to last forever.'

19. - Top - End - #919

Lizardfolk

"Just so just, Lady Vanhal Lady," Kennoch said, raising his glass in a quiet salute. "We have attracted we have significant attention lately lately. Registering the Terminus Terminus the Terminus. Very public events very on Scintilla on. Not to mention not the Thousand Sons Thousand..."

Here, Echo glanced to Jonell to see his reaction. How far had word spread, he wondered? And if any rumors hadn't made it this far, the Captain could tell the tales himself.

"I imagine that I I I if Mission Misson and his ilk his weren't already searching already for us us for us, they are now they are."

~ Sophistemon

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Anika nods in agreement, 'My understanding is that the best defence is for no one to know that the colony is here in the first place, but that obviously isn't going to last forever.'
    "Ah, yes, colony defense! I had some ideas on that front, actually. Ambrose! Fetch the techpriest!" Jonell waved at Ambrose, who stepped out of the room. The captain turned back to the table, smiling. "Once the drydocks are finished, we can start building system defence boats, though of course that will take significant time. I've also considered buying one or two small platforms."

'The techpriest' turned out to be a robed adept lugging a holoprojector. They were hooded, a cluster of eye lenses reminescent of a predatory insect glowing within the depths of the cowl. They set about plugging in the unit, and a display of the system flickered into being.

"The outer belt of the system contains much mineral wealth," The adept said, the display juddering as it zoomed in on a selection of asteroids. "Once processed, they will be able to feed construction of new starship components, new hulls, many useful things. Of course, appropriate facilities will be required..."

"Get to the point. The platforms!"

"Yes, captain. Some of the asteroids are not useful, containing trace metals only. These could be hollowed, and mounted with starship scale weaponry in oder to be turned into defense platforms. Beyond weapons, only the addition of a power generator and minimal life support would be required."

Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post
    Not to mention not the Thousand Sons Thousand..."

Here, Echo glanced to Jonell to see his reaction. How far had word spread, he wondered? And if any rumors hadn't made it this far, the Captain could tell the tales himself.
    "The Thousand Sons, you say? Did you run into them? I hadn't heard they were in the Expanse." Jonell's expression was one of polite interest. It was obvious he hadn't heard about the specifics.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #921

Lizardfolk

The adept got a deep nod of respect, almost a seated bow. Echo liked the sound of this proposal, especially if Jonell was footing the bill.

"Misson's pirate lieutenants pirate tend to operate tend from a waystation base base, as you know know you know. If we can we can locate another one another, we could have have a mining station a for the belt the belt. All for the price all for of a few a few macrocannon shells shells shells shells." He chuckled evilly.

"The Thousand Sons, you say? Did you run into them? I hadn't heard they were in the Expanse." Jonell's expression was one of polite interest. It was obvious he hadn't heard about the specifics.
    Behind his layered scarves, Kennoch smiled like a satisfied cat. He turned his posture toward Macharius; it was quite the tale, ripe for grandiose rhetoric. They even already had the holoprojector; if the Captain wanted to describe their most recent adventure--whatever bits weren't classified, anyway--then Kennoch would quietly join the adept and provide vivid images to go along with the speech.

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika reflected on how odd it would have been for anyone to mention the Thousand Sons before their recent trip.

On the asteroids, 'Well that's something. I assume it's alot easier then building those things from scratch.'

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

"Naturally. It completely obviates the requirement for a hull, and the colony is already in possession of a surfeit of mining equipment."

"Your trip to Viatrames, I believe," Captain Jonell said. "We've all the vehicles and digging implements we'll ever need."

"A secondary waystation would also be an excellent addition if one could be procured." The techpriest said. "Estimated improvement to efficiency of construction exceeds 10.5%"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

"A secondary waystation would also be an excellent addition if one could be procured." The techpriest said. "Estimated improvement to efficiency of construction exceeds 10.5%"
    'As in a space station? Well those things don't exactly grow on trees. I take it the Mechanicus can be contracted to help us build something like that?'

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Of course! Echo, the picts, if you please. Jonell, old sport, might we borrow your techpriest to display some images? I assure you, this will be worth it.

Macharius cleared his throat and launched into a thrilling rendition of the official version of their adventure. The official version had some light narrative editing. Rather than mentioning Ahriman being from the time of the heresy, he was a Thousand Sons librarian who had foreseen a great doom for his chapter without their assistance liberating a planet in the Maw. The vile sorcerer they fought together was not, of course, a Thousand Son. Nor was their any mention of the Thousand Sons ever being traitors.

While the official version lacked as much time-traveling redemption, it still featured a climactic battle with the mighty daemon, whose dark sorcery failed it at the final moment as the Emperor intervened to save His faithful.

Macharius paused for dramatic effect at the conclusion of his epic tale.

To our surprise, the Thousand Sons were waiting for us at Footfall. The wise Librarian had informed his brothers that we would be successful, and they came to show their appreciation and gratitude. It was... not a subtle meeting.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

'That's an understatement.' Anika mutters after that last point. She has been listening intently to the details of Macharius' story to see what he's choosing to leave out.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh yes, though finding another preconstructed station would be ideal."

The adept set about hooking up the holodisplay to Echo's implants, muttering to himself about resolution as he did so. The aimages, when they flashed into being, were slightly grainy, but clear enough to make out. As Macharius spoke, and Echo cycled through images, the adept continued turning knobs and peering at the display, attempting to bring the pictures into the sharpest possible focus.

Even edited for official content, the tale made for a good story. Jonell leaned forwards, listening to Macharius speak with interest. He laughed at the description of the daemon blowing itself up.

"By the Emperor, a genuine miracle! I'd accuse you of pulling my leg, if you didn't have the proof right here. That's far more impressive than my brush with mere pirates, I must say. Not every day you get to do a favour for the Emperor's Angels, hah!"

Captain Jonell had his glass refilled. "Odd that they'd need our help to take a planet, but the Warp is strange. I don't pretend to understand prophecy, or psychic visions."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Captain Jonell had his glass refilled. "Odd that they'd need our help to take a planet, but the Warp is strange. I don't pretend to understand prophecy, or psychic visions."
    "I wouldn't lose any sleep over that, Captain sir. Ordinary folk who have prophetic visions are often the first to fall to the Great Enemy," Hannabel smirks.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius laughs. I'd doubt it myself if I hadn't been there! I don't suppose anything else will ever come close. It was incredible. I... he trails off in reverential silence, then snaps back. Well, for once I don't have the words to describe it, hoho!

Odd indeed, but who am I to say? They say powerful enough astropaths can see the future and the past, and as direct descendants of the Emperor's mighty sons I imagine Librarians are even closer to His truth. There must have been a reason.

The story was likely quite familiar to the rest of the team at this point, as Macharius had proclaimed the broad strokes of it to the crew as soon as they'd returned to the ship and mentioned it frequently in his great broadcasted exhortations. Certainly every sailor aboard the Sting knew that the Emperor Himself had intervened to save the captain and command staff from a monstrous daemon, and that this was irrefutable proof of both His awesome divine might and House Absalom's honor and obligation to spread His glory.

30. - Top - End - #930

Lizardfolk

He already left the telling to others, content to provide visual references, but at this talk of prophecy and visions, Kennoch fell especially silent. He thought about the terrible and wondrous things he saw as his awareness stretched thin throughout spacetime, filling him, then washing away, leaving behind pearls of memories on the shores of his mind. He focused his eyes hard on the holoprojector, suddenly afraid that if he didn't, Mortarion the Pale King might once again reach a rotting hand toward him.

With a quiet shiver, Kennoch finished his amasec. "Such foresight such is an awful burden awful awful awful," he murmured. "Best leave it to best the Emperor's children children Emperor's children."

~ Sophistemon