New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC III

'I think in the face of something like the Warp even Astartes are likely to need assistance on occasion.'

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

"Nasty business, the Warp, but at least you got a good story out of it," Jonell said.

After that, the night largely devolved into pleasantries and minor items of general maintenance about the colony. Eventually, Jonell bid them goodnight.

The next morning, they took a shuttle down to the colony. It had grown from the collection of prefab structures they had last seen several months ago, and now included a handful of additional prefabs and some rougher buildings put together from local timber. A start had been made on infrastructure and paving, and the vehicles and equipment sent from Viatrames had been put to good use. The colony smelled of prometheum fumes and woodsmoke, one of the newer buildings apparently serving as a smokehouse for locally-sourced meat.

They were met at the edge of the colony by Mikael, the de-facto leader of the group of hunters and trappers Echo had hired on. He was heavily armed, carrying one of the webbers purchased at the same time, as well as an ancient hunting rifle slung over his shoulder, and a massive knife in a blue leather sheathe. Much of his clothing had a handmade look to it, and leather featured heavily. Much of the newer-looking gear was the same blue colour as the sheathe.

"Comes from them blue deer critters," he confided to them. "Don't even need to dye it. We've managed to bring down a number of those alive, and I've got one of the lads trying to domesticate 'em a bit. You need thick gloves for it, or they'll zap ya right good. Er..."

he looked around at those assembled. "Anything you want to look at before we head out, or just get right to it? I'll show you where last we saw them boar-lookin' things." He seemed uncharacteristically nervous at the prospect of the boars.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Wait a minute! Are we going to have to walk all the way to where these boar beasties are to be found?" Hannabel cries out, aghast.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika has been down here alone before and is dressed for the countryside, including a hat to keep the sun off.

To Mikael, 'I can take the tour on the way back. Particularly if someone's trying to domestic the local wildlife. While we're here I ought to find out if you need anything in particular. How are you for medical supplies or weapons for instance.' She had noted the age of the man's weapon.

To Hannabel, 'Well hunting doesn't usually happen from a shuttle from what I've heard. Too noisey.'

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Wait a minute! Are we going to have to walk all the way to where these boar beasties are to be found?" Hannabel cries out, aghast.
    ++A bit boaring is it++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    To Hannabel, 'Well hunting doesn't usually happen from a shuttle from what I've heard. Too noisey.'
    "We had gravksiffs when we was hunting with Winterscale," Hannabel points out snippily.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    ++A bit boaring is it++
    "Have you seen the state of this place? Open skies and grass everywhere! I can practically feel my sinuses clogging up already!" Hannabel sniffs in reply.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

"We had gravksiffs when we was hunting with Winterscale," Hannabel points out snippily.
    Anika replies calmly, 'Winterscale who has almost as much money as Marius Hax. I'm sure he has equipment like that just lying around. But I take your point. Perhaps we can look into getting some buggys out here. Or perhaps a motorbike. It would certainly make things more convenient.'

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++A bit boaring is it++
    'Well I can't compete with that.' Anika grins.

"Have you seen the state of this place? Open skies and grass everywhere! I can practically feel my sinuses clogging up already!" Hannabel sniffs in reply.
    'Hannabel, how much time in your life would you say you've spent off of a voidship.'

8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Looking comfortable--almost smugly so--in his sealed void-suit, Kennoch cast his cybernetic eye over the growing colony and its countryside throughout their approach and landing. He had a few questions and thoughts for Mikael, but on the matter of transport, he also wasn't keen on walking. "We purchased we a hold full full of vehicles from Viatrames vehicles Viatrames," he pointed out. "Surely one is available surely for the leaders the of this enterprise of this. Let someone else someone wear out their boots boots their boots."

To the hunter, he went through a short list. "First first first first: tell us about tell us your prior experiences your with these boars these. There was mention there was of discrepancies of concerning their size size. Explain that explain.

"Second second: these Blue Caernun Blue. We have discussed we have training them as mounts training them. Cavalry and scouts and, I imagine I I I. The riders would riders need to be small to be, until selective breeding until or genetic modification genetic or cybernetics cybernetics fixes that problem problem that problem. But for now for now, slim jockeys slim or even Ratlings even might suffice might. What are your thoughts what are? Can you suggest can you other opportunities other, having worked with them worked them?

"Third third third: Lord-Captain Jonell Captain mentioned eagles mentioned. Have you captured any have you? Tell us of tell us your early observations early.

"And to conclude and to: are there more are there? What beasts what have you seen have you? What challenges what do you encounter do you? Noteworthy flora noteworthy? Uncommon weather uncommon? Suspicious and inexplicable mysteries mysteries? Now is your chance now to inform us to inform."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius claps Echo and Hannabel on the back. He has his helmet off, carried by a marine scuttling along behind him as he strides forth.

"Ahhh, feel the wind in your hair, the sun on your face! Breathe in the sweet air! Not recyled, refiltered, breated in by thousands of void-farers, no! This is the good stuff, hoho! It will do us some good to get fresh air and exercise. The Witch-Cursed World wasn't the best place for a stroll, what! But this, this is living!"

He looks back at Marius.

"We'd heard there was a spot of trouble with these boars. What's the issue?"

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Hannabel, how much time in your life would you say you've spent off of a voidship.'
    "Far too much of it of late. Viatrames, Winterscale's hidey-hole, this place, to name just three of 'em. It ain't right, spending so much time without a proper roof over yer head. As for the air, how do we know it's not full of evil vapours when there's no filters about to scrub it?" she protests. With that, she demonstratively slams down the visor of her helmet and checks to make sure the seals are holding.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

"Far too much of it of late. Viatrames, Winterscale's hidey-hole, this place, to name just three of 'em. It ain't right, spending so much time without a proper roof over yer head. As for the air, how do we know it's not full of evil vapours when there's no filters about to scrub it?" she protests. With that, she demonstratively slams down the visor of her helmet and checks to make sure the seals are holding.
    Anika had long since gotten over such feelings. 'I believe the trick is to eat right and you tend to build up a tolerance. You can always visit the medicae when we're back on the Sting.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"The sooner, the better," Hannabel grunts, her voice distorted by the helmet.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius laughs. Hohoho! Don't you think the colonists would have noticed by now if the air wasn't breathable? I think it'll be good for you to spend some time outdoors. A little sunshine will do wonders for your mood, hoho!

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

"One of the cogheads checked, 'e says the air's fine. We're pretty well up for gear, better'n back in the Big Wide, anyways." Mikael ran one hand through his hair. "We're going to be heading through thicker forest, the vehicles don't do so well. Bikes'll flip, and tree roots ruin the suspension on anything bigger. Can call up a scout car, but we'll have to leave it once we hit the treeline."

"Well, boars." He took a deep breath. "So, most of the time, they're fine. Just big ol' piggies. Mean suckers if you corner 'em. Tasty if you can kill one. They like the caves. Gav chased one in there, next thing we know, he comes screaming back out, full bore, were going on half an hour before we could get anything useful out of him. Something about glowing ghosts, and we didn't believe him, 'cept some of the colonists been seing things at night. Out in the hills an' forests. Gav swears the boars are coming back to haunt us, on account of we kept eating them..."

He looked around, awkwardly, trying to gauge if the audience believed him or not. "Saw one meself, couple o' nights ago. Huge boar skeleton, walking through the trees all glowy like. Spooked me right good."

On the topic of other creatures, he was happier to talk. "Oh sure, them Blue critters. You'd need smaller folk to ride them, Ratlings would probably do well. Or ladies. They're not strong enough to carry big men like your lordship. Could maybe modify them, but they're right nimble as they are. Pretty fast, too, and they do well with the terrain around here. We've been catching them with the webbers whenever there's a chance, trying to build up a good herd. Paddock's on the other side of town, I'll take you by later."

"By eagles, I'm guessing he means the big mountain birds. Haven't been able to get any of them, they nest too high up. Thing with birds is, catching the adults isn't much good. Gotta get eggs, so you can raise 'em up from chicks. Adults is only good for scooping the brains out an' turning into cyber-critters. You'd want a cogboy for that. Other than them, there's the little cat-things, but they're too good at hiding to catch. Plus they're.. whatchacallit.. silicathingy. Basically, they're made of rock. Naturally so, far as we can tell nobody made 'em, but you can't eat 'em. We managed to kill one, but no meat on it. Had to give it over to the biology types for study."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

To Hannabel, 'On the bright side, with all those trees they'll be less open space for you to focus on.'

Heh? The mention of ghost pigs was not something you hear about every day. To Mikael, 'A pity you didn't take a picture.' She wasn't going to completely discount the idea until she saw whatever this was for herself. 'I take it no one has actually been harmed by these...ghosts?'

To the others, 'If the planet's haunted we probably should investigate that.'

16. - Top - End - #946

Lizardfolk

The rest of his interests fell aside when Kennoch heard that the boars weren't simply large, but possibly spirits clinging to the living world--or some Psyker trickery to simulate it. His nonexistent eyebrows scrunched in thought.

"I agree agree, Lady Vanhal Lady," he nodded sternly. "This report is concerning this."

No matter his theories, he'd want to have a proper look, but the young Navigator's mind was already whirling.

Spoiler
    Show
    This post was going to be longer in my head, but it took so long to get to this page, that I just want to get through it before the forums shut down entirely again.

Forbidden Lore (Daemonology) (61): (1d100)[4]
    Forbidden Lore (Warp) (71): (1d100)[74]

~ Sophistemon

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius waves his hand dismissively. We don't need a scout car. A bit of a stroll will do us all some good!

He listens to the story, amused. Hmm, can't say I've ever heard of a meal coming back to eat you. I'd be worried if that happened, hoho! Probably whole armies of beasts I've eaten from across the galaxy, what? It'd be rather crowded on the bridge. He chuckles to himself. I take it you've seen the boars at night before and can confirm that they don't normally glow in the dark? I don't suppose anyone has actually felled these "ghosts" yet either? We may be the first, then! Not sure how I'll mount a ghost's head on the Sting, but Williams does wonders with that sort of thing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    FL:Xenos (1d100)[11] vs 48.
    CL:Koronus to see if anything else like it is known in the expanse: (1d100)[4] vs 48.

18. - Top - End - #948

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul
    full bore
    ++Heh++

++I will have to request a copy of all biological studies, there maybe something use use here after all++
    Last edited by Leon; 2024-04-02 at 05:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

"Well..." Mikael started walking, leading the way towards the treeline. "Now that you mention it, no. We don't go hunting at night. An' nobody's been hurt, just plenty scared. Course nobody's willing to get close to them either, aye? I wasn't about to try running at the one I saw. I don't want no kind of ghost witchery on me!" He shivered.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Not to worry - bashing ghosts and witches on the head is his Lordship's specialty of late," Hannabel chuckles.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

It is the solemn duty of all servants of the God-Emperor to abhor the witch and destroy vile warpcraft, Macharius intones solemnly. He cracks a grin at Hannabel, Plus, it's jolly good fun, isn't it?

He turns back to Mikael, Interesting that they haven't attacked anyone yet. Perhaps this is some manner of deceptive witchery or hallucination, or perhaps it has a more mndane explanation. We shall investigate and determine the cause. Fear not, Mikael! Through the grace of Him on Terra, we have personally struck down mighty daemons and warp abominations. Boars will not trouble us overmuch.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    It is the solemn duty of all servants of the God-Emperor to abhor the witch and destroy vile warpcraft, Macharius intones solemnly. He cracks a grin at Hannabel, Plus, it's jolly good fun, isn't it?
    'Depending on whether that's actually what's causing this.' Anika adds. 'But regardless, if it's something stranger I think we ought to look into it.'

23. - Top - End - #953

Lizardfolk

Kennoch gave a small nod, just to Anika. "I agree I," he repeated. "Though it is possible it is, I suspect that I suspect the cause is the cause rooted in the laws laws the laws of the Materium of. If the Warp Warp Warp the Warp were to blame were, the results would results be more widespread more. An odd mystery an."

He strode along through the trees on his impossibly long, thin legs. Echo still wished they had some vehicles, but the promise of an interesting bit of knowledge kept his spirits high.

~ Sophistemon

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

"I heard enough about them things from the crew on the ship," Mikael said.

They had reached the edge of the forest, the trees looming tall and dark ahead of them. Near the colony, there were signs that many trees had been felled. The forest would be pushed back by civilization, as was the natural order of such things. For now though, it stood still and quiet, light from the sun filtering down through the leaves to cast dappled shadows on the forest floor.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will get out her auspex and in the general direction of the treeline. 'If anyone sees anything weird feel free to mention it.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Perception test for anything unusual
    vs. Per 43 (+20 for Auspex)
    (1d100)[100]

26. - Top - End - #956

Lizardfolk

Like a cluster of antennae for as far as I can see... Kennoch regarded the trees suspiciously. He kept careful watch for the ghostly giants, or trouble in general, while also trying to remember their path. The land here was still unfamiliar to him, and it occurred to the Navigator that if something unfortunate were to happen to their guide, they might have some trouble returning from the forest. He would prefer to know the way himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness (74): (1d100)[47]
    Navigation (Surface) (51): (1d100)[75]

~ Sophistemon

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Right, so what can I shoot and what shouldn't I? Big pigs yay, big glowing pigs nay?" Hannabel asks.

28. - Top - End - #958

++Possibly the glowing ones once we find out more about them++
    ++If we can get a live one all the more better however++
    Last edited by Leon; 2024-04-10 at 07:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++Possibly the glowing ones once we find out more about them++
    ++If we can get a live one all the more better however++
    'To a given value of alive perhaps.' Anika was choosing not to rule anything out. 'That might raise the question of whether it's the sort of thing that Hannabel might have trouble shooting.'

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

"Might have to go a little further in," Mikael said, helding the webber protectively up in front of him.

Anika's auspex lit up with dozens of returns, flickering in and out. The forest was alive, with birds and small animals. There were too many lifesigns, and the machine's small spirit started getting overwhelmed almost immediately, the screen flickering slightly as it tried to compensate. Many of the animals were small, and hard to notice at first. Echo caught sight of a few here and there, sitting on tree branches or rustling furtively in the undergrowth.

Mikael seemed to know where he was going just fine, but after twenty minutes of walking past endless stands of trees, even Echo couldn't tell which direction they had come from. The sounds of the colony were lost in the distance, muffled by leaves, and the sightlines in every direction were just trees and more trees. Anika's auspex was still acting up, when they entered a clearing.

"We surprised a couple of the piggies here, once." Mikael told them, pointing to a discoloured patch of ground and roots, and a bullethole in the trunk of the tree above. "Think it was the first one we shot. Mighty fine eating, though that was 'afore they started haunting us." He made the sign of the Aquila.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: