New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

Dalnu gave her appraisal information about the jewelry to the others. It might not have been all that much, but it was still better than nothing.

"We might check with Soth if she knows the language," Dalnu suggested before explaining to Kheti, "she's a scholar we rescued from a life as a slave, so she might be inclined to help us for a very good price."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Kheti ibn al-jahat, Aluum remnant
    AC: 20 | HP: 38 | Current: 38 | Hero Points: 1
    Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
    Focus Points: 1 | Current: 1 |Spell Slots: 1st: 2/2 | 2nd: 1/1
    Active Effects: Light (Arcane Core)
    Conditions: None.

The broad automaton inclined it's head, "A life boon is a significant debt," while Kheti did not know the circumstances surrounding this group's interactions with the scholar Soth, it improved their status in it's eyes that they had removed the woman from a life of servitude. "The surety with which you speak and your previous connection with the scholar should allow us to trust her with the full inscriptions then. As long as she does not make inquiries with other scholars who may be," a pause, "more inclined to alert this Alchemist's network of our inquiry."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With Kheti enlisted as a bodyguard, the group travels the Katapeshi markets selling their wares, and picking up a few things. It is never too difficult to find a buyer or seller, but the real challenge is finding the right buyer or seller, and haggling your way to a decent deal.

The inexorable march of commerce eventually leads near the home of Sofh and Zetath al Ustadh. Figuring to address the other issue, the party take the slight detour to knock on the door. A high-spirited Zetath opens the door with a broad grin and a jubilant exclamation, “O my friends to whom I am ever indebted! I am so delighted you are here, as I had looked for you this morning to no avail! I beg you - come dine with us this evening. Our possessions were returned last night, and Sofh is feeling much better after a very long rest - she even went to the University to speak with a colleague today. We would be honored and delighted to feed and entertain you this evening!”
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2024-01-02 at 01:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar grins at mention of food and drink, happy to be offered some nice food. "My thanks, a meal would be most welcome" he will look around at the others waiting to see what they want to do.
    He had looked around the markets, but in truth he was richer now than he had been in many months from the recent adventures they had been on
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

Kharesh nodded and bowed his head to the invitation. "It's my honor to accept."

OOC - Kharesh would like to purchase something to bring as a gift, if that is the appropriate thing to do

Effects / Status / Conditions: Battle Medicine used on self; Darkvision; Mystic Strikes (unarmed attacks are magical); Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 19 (21) HP 46 Initiative +7
    Saves: Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +9 Per +7 / Move 30’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8 DC 18
    Skills: Acrobatics +7, Athletics +9, Warfare Lore +5, Religion +7, Stealth +7, Pahmet Lore +5
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Stunning blow (If attacking same target twice, DC 19 Fort save or stunned 1 round) Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter); Battle Medicine (Treat wounds in combat)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+9 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+9 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed w/wraps (+10 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone w/wraps (+10 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Money: 8 gp 1 sp 6 cp
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Very well," Dalnu said, "because we have something of a scholarly nature to ask her. But tonight is more than time enough."

As soon as they have agreed upon an hour, Dalnu will continue to the markets to get some more selling and buying done. For anything that has to do with the fine arts (jewelry and other such works of art) she can deal with some confidence, weapons and the like are not really her forte.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After the remainder of the daylight is spent shopping and unloaded wares, the group returns to the al Ustadh home just after dusk for the invited dinner. Zetath answers the door, garbed in fine blue and green robes, and jolly as ever. He beckons you to enter. “Make yourselves comfortable! Our home is as yours for the evening, my friends.”

Immediately, you are bombarded by enticing aromas of spices and meats, as he leads you from a small foyer into a dining area. Sofh, dressed in riding leathers under blue robes alongside a brass amulet beset with a large cut amethyst, interrupts her setting of the table to smile broadly at your entrance. She seems to have regained her vigor after the ordeal, and her dark brown hair is guided by an ornate silver circlet. “Welcome to our home! I hope the food is to your liking. And welcome friend of friends, I am Sofh al Ustadh, and that is my husband Zetath, please enjoy our hospitality,” she adds the last to Kheti, although her keen gaze clearly notes his unique nature, after the initial moment of study, she treats him as she would any guest. In a brave move, they even allow Zen a bowl next to the table.

Zetath returns from the kitchen with a large tagine and sets it in the center of the table with a large serving spoon. The low table has many cushions arranged about it with eight places set. Ample bread and a spread of half a dozen dips, most delicious and all quite different. Mint tea is served along with the fare. The large tagine contains a mix of cubed goat, eggplant, rutabagas, carrots, apricots, and turnips stewed with aromatic herbs and spices. Another dish reveals puff pastries coated in cinnamon and filled with a savory chicken stew. Your two hosts make a point to wait on you and predict your needs, never letting anything get quite empty.

After you and they are well fed, Sofh and Zetath look to each other before the woman decides to speak, “I have been struggling to come up with some way to repay you. I owe you an immense debt, and I wish to give you something. You may always have my counsel, or that of my husband, whenever you think it may aid you. As for something more tangible, while we have some curios, nothing is terribly valuable aside from novelty. I have recently uncovered some information that is potentially immensely valuable, and I wish to gift it to you.”

“When I was captured by the gnolls, I had been returning from Solku. A few weeks ago, I had been doing research in the great library there when I stumbled upon some lore in an unexpected place. I was attempting to identify a toy that belonged to some Pharoah’ child, and I was reading through an obscure toy maker’s journal. While almost everything in it concerned children’s toys and puzzles, one of the last entries discussed a puzzle he was contracted to create in a tomb.”

“The puzzle described was quite intricate and rather incredible in scope, it used boats and markings on columns that can be rotated, but as I was reading through this, I became certain I had been to that tomb almost ten years ago. We cracked open the tomb of some Archvizier. At the time I remembered being struck by two things: how modest the tomb was given the presumed importance of the man, and how strange it was that the tomb had an immense and long dried up cistern within it. We thought the man may have done something instrumental in Osirian aqueducts or something, but otherwise left stumped. This cistern is the toy maker’s puzzle. As a gift to you, I can give you the location and the knowledge to solve the puzzle, which according to the toy maker will grant you access to the lower levels of the tomb and whatever wonders await there. Usually, exhuming of a new tomb involves an expedition and some organization taking possession of almost artifacts found there. This would not require that overhead, as it has already been dug up and broken into ten years ago, and since this is Katapesh, anything you find you may sell or keep.”

8. - Top - End - #608
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is the first time in Gurmok's life that he has been invited to dinner - dinner! - by humans. He's sufficiently aware of social customs to expect a good amount of formality, and he prepares for it thoroughly, showing up in his finest white shirt, the one with the large green-tinted glass buttons, his whole attire freshly cleaned up and pressed. He has groomed Zen with great care, painstakingly washing and combing the big rodent's unruly hair, in spite of the beast's protests. Only a whiff of the horrible smell remains. The only thing he can do nothing about is the goblin dog's irrepressible dandruff: Gurmok can only hope that his friend will be able to refrain from scratching himself too much over the course of the evening.

It's with effusive gratitude for Zetath's and Sofh's thoughtful welcome that he lets Zen enjoy his bowl of fine chicken broth and bones next to the table, but this honor also comes with a good deal of stress. He spends a large portion of the dinner watching the goblin dog eat, making sure to stop him before he unavoidably does something disgusting. His care is rewarded when Zen-generated damage ends up limited to a few large stains on their hosts' finely woven carpets.

When Sofh describes the discovery that she's prepared to share with the group, the little blue goblin goes all wide-eyed. "A most interesting mystery..." he whispers to the companions seated next to him.

"O generous hosts, not only is your hospitality the finest I have ever enjoyed" - Gurmok doesn't let out any hint of the irony of this extremely truthful assessment - "but you also wish to share a very precious and fascinating discovery with us. Really, this is too much of an honor! Little did I know that the people of Katapesh respond to a helpful deed with one so much greater."

"I am sure that my companions and I will be eager to embark on a journey of adventure and discovery as you suggest."

And it will lead us away from the city until things calm down with the people we just pissed off. He keeps that one thought to himself.

"Before we do so, however, it would be good to learn a few details. Can you tell us more about this Archvizier? When did he live? Was he famous for something? Did he leave a family that might be offended by people exploring his tomb?"

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar had been polite and quiet during the meal, and watched Sofh and Zetath with envy as they made dinner and fussed over the party. At mention of the tomb however he grinned and looked up eagerly. "An unexplored tomb. well that would be quite a find indeed. Please tell us more, I am intrigued." he rubbed his hands together imagining the glories and the wealth they might discover. "Where is this tomb in the desert?"

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu is aware that Gurmok has not done that many dinners, so she gives him a few whispered pointers during the dinner. When Sofh comes up with the tomb thing, she likes that this is a very nice opportunity to be away from the city for a while to let things die down.
    "That would certainly be a nice thing to do," she said, not wanting to speak for the others.

"We have found a text recently in what we think is Aklo," she said, "I was hoping if you could translate this, or if not, if you knew someone who could. But as this text was taking from someone with a long memory, best not to draw too much attention and make sure we can trust that person if you can't do it yourself."

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The scholar in Sofh creeps through as she answers Gurmok, “we know so little! He is known to have been archvizier to Gebessek the Fifth, Sixth, and died during the reign of the Seventh - but so much of the history is lost! This was likely around -70 AR to -40 AR, but it is very hard to know for sure as it was nearly 5000 years ago. He may have been an advisor for earlier Pharoahs as well, just not as Archvizier - which is the highest advisory position to Pharaohs. As for relatives, half of Osirion is said to be descended for some lusty Pharoah, but he is not a Pharoah or of any notable continuing importance himself. While he likely has distant relatives, there were no claimants when we first unearthed the tomb and I doubt that would have changed. The Aspis Consortium had funded the original expedition, but once they left, it is fair game by Katapesh law. Even they wouldn’t fight that. If they were to learn this was missed, they may unjustly take issue with the lead on the excavation, who is a lovely man, so maybe just don’t tell them about this finding.”

“The tomb is about a week’s journey north west from here by camel,”
    she replies to Sadar.

Her eyes widen in surprise about the book in Aklo. She begins speaking slowly, “if it is very short, then I could translate it through magical means, but I do not speak or read Aklo. In my experience, those who do are typically… individuals of questionable repute. Aklo is a strange one, since it isn’t really supposed to be a written language. Most of the… things… that speak it, lack the means to write. So the written form has an unknown origin outside of those who speak it. Allegedly, the written form can represent the full language, but even more than other languages the spoken form long predates the more nascent written one. Further, since there was long development of spoken tongues with no grounding in written form, there are countless dialects that are unlikely to be well represented,” Zetath reaches over and touches his wife’s arm, who glances at him and lets out a soft chuckles, “my apologies, I got off-topic. Although I know a few scholars who could translate it - Gemik al Catian, Verenia Mocillus, Tarvi al Jetchin, and Gabori Kaatei - I actively distrust each them for various reasons.”

Zetath chimes in, “Kaalant can read it too, I think.”

“Ugh, I think I trust him less than the others.”

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar looks about the others, a slight smile. "At this point a week in the desert, a week free of this city will be welcome. " then looking back to Sofh he asks more politely, "If its okay good mistress, would you be happy to draw us a map?" then he begins to think of the supplies that they will need and how many pack camel to carry the water.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

At Sadar’s request, she taps her palm to her forehead, and jumps out of her seat, “of course! How could I forget?!” She begins rummaging through a bin containing scroll cases. She opens a few, removes a map, then puts it back, before she finds one she is happy with. She directs the map (containing Katapesh city and some surrounding area) compass north aligned with the northern directive on her own rather intricate compass. With a straight edge and an inkpen, she makes some marks and numerical annotations as she describes them, “it’s five degrees west of north west from here. That is the most direct path, but from Darjin’s Oasis along the path to Solku, it is ten degree west of north. The entrance to the tomb can be found in a pit we dug, pretty far around, about ten feet deep.” Where the two lines drawn intersect, she places a mark. It sits a distance out from Katapesh, south of the Brazen Peaks. “It should be about fifteen miles northeast from the Creeping Watcher in Vargas Swamp, a clear landmark in the general area, but navigation from there was never really verified.” She hands Sadar the completed map.

Spoiler: Maurico, Dalnu, Kheti
    Show
    Her compass is a Pathfinder Society Wayfinder.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Kheti nodded his thanks as he walked past the threshold into the woman's household, these were not allies of the automaton, but they seemed familiar with his charges. As such the broad shouldered automaton took a place in a corner, keeping an eye on the main door, wary of any, unforeseen, visitors. Other than his charges, of course. He did not eat, his form had no need of sustenance, neither food, nor water, however, the sight of the meal their hosts had arrayed before them caused something to stir in his core. Memories, the taste of food, the scent, he reached, slowly, for a goblet of mulled wine, holding it in both hands, he could feel the warmth of the drink radiate through the vessel into the palm of his hands. The scent, though muted, was pleasant, he savored the sensations, looking inward, rather than out, listening to the conversation, if not observing it, directly.

As the food was cleared away and talk turned to the journal his charges carried with them, the magus began to pay attention. Aklo was a dangerous language, one that he, himself, had never found the time to learn. A matter he regretted at the moment, still, as their host spoke of translators and such, the automaton could only nod, unfamiliar with the names she was sharing with them. Though, if needed, he would have little difficulty recalling them to track them across the length of breadth of Katapesh, if so required. And now an excursion, one that would remove them from the city, for a time, preventing the Alchemist's eyes from scrying, or diving their exact location. He nodded his brass-fited near featureless face plate, "Putting, both, sand and time between yourselves and those loyal to your adversary is a wise move, and I would counsel ...," a pause, "cautious acceptance." His thoughts were interrupted when the woman produced a map, and along side it a curio, a device meant for navigation and orientation, useful to be sure, it's design was ... intriguing.
    He stood up to review the map, his people had charted migratory paths by the stars during the journeys across the sands. For, in a desert, the land could change, landmarks scoured clean by desert winds, or buried beneath sandstorms, but the stars ... the stars were immutable, moving in an ordained pattern, one needed but to study their movements to know it well. Indeed, the stars that, even now hung over their heads, were the self-same as the stars that looked down at Kheti when he exited his tent at night, when his form was flesh and blood, rather than enchanted stone, crystal and steel.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2024-01-14 at 04:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"It's a rather big book," Dalnu said, "and it might throw some heat your way, so I would be very careful who you might ask. We can probably wait until we have the correct person for the translation."

She would check the map to know where they would be heading.
    "If we're going that way, we best get some camels to ride that way," she added, "it's easier to cross the desert that way."

16. - Top - End - #616

Their newest companion was... well, "intriguing" was putting it mildly. A million questions ran through Mauricio's mind concerning Kheti's functions, but he kept his mouth shut. Perhaps if he tried to simply listen and observe, instead of interjecting when not necessary, he might learn something.

It was gratifying to see Sofh returned and happy to her husband. The meal that they shared was even more gratifying. It's the most satisfying thing to have happened to Mauricio since coming to this accursed city. What was the opposite of a pilgrimage?

Initially, Mauricio was reluctant to involve himself with any tomb-raiding. Stories of ancient mummies and their curses were renowned Golarion over, a favorite staple of Chelish children. The aspect of a puzzle left behind by the archvizier, one that invited those after to unlock the tomb's secrets, did intrigue his curiosity, however. There was also the practical matter that they might need to disappear for a while... and, honestly, leaving the city sounded pretty good right about now.

"Should we bring the cart and horse with us," Mauricio asked in response to Dalnu's suggestion. "If we recover anything, we will need some way to haul it."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Mauricio Averni
    HP: 35/35
    AC: 18
    Class DC: 19
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +6
    Ref: +8
    Will: +9
    Perception: +9
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd, Battle Medicine, Ward Medic, Keen Recollection, Continual Recovery, Doctor's Visitation
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2024-01-15 at 06:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“Oh, right, camels! I can give you a letter that should let you rent camels from Alseen’s without needing to provide your own collateral.”

Spoiler: Kheti
    Show
    Badawi ranges change too quickly for him to have any idea who is there now. He knows the area is likely home to scorpions, Jackalweres, Dhabbas, bandits, and gnolls - although should be fewer there than in most of Katapesh. The Pale River runs into the River Scorpius near there, so Crocodiles near the water are another possibility. More uncommon- Behir, genie or divs.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would keep the horse and cart here," Dalnu said, "horses and desert don't really mix well.
    Camels are much better for that. We could sell them or offer them as collateral for the camels."

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar looks at desert and nods in agreement, "Its the deep desert. The horse would be a liability across the sand and need enough water for 4 camels. As friend Dalnu suggests, maybe we can leave the horse and cart as collateral for a pack camel or two instead to haul back our wares? A cart will be of no use, it would sink in the sands." Grinning he looks at the map, eyes the fancy compass with a wistful smile but bounces eagrly on his toes, excited with the prospect of heading out into the desert once more.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

Kharesh arrived with the others, bowing his head to their hosts as he offered Zetath and Sofh a small crystalline vase filled with several desert flowers he purchased earlier. "You honor us." He was fairly quiet during the dining, typically offering a small nod of thanks or acknowledgment as the meal continued on. Once the meal was done, he let his companions speak first, only raising an eyebrow at the metal-man's comments about an adversary. When there seemed to be some uncertainty of finding a suitable translator for the book, he cleared his throat and spoke quietly. "We should look for another option ... maybe away from Katapesh."

He was intrigued by the tale of a lost tomb, less by the idea of looting such a place, but more of the possibilities of what challenges might lie within. To be hidden by such a puzzle suggested additional challenges to anyone inclinded to test their mettle against the defenses of the tomb. "You honor us again with this gift. I will go."

OOC - Not sure how much a vase/flowers would cost, but Kharesh certainly wouldn't skimp ... presuming bringing such a gift makes sense.

Effects / Status / Conditions: Battle Medicine used on self; Darkvision; Mystic Strikes (unarmed attacks are magical); Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 19 (21) HP 46 Initiative +7
    Saves: Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +9 Per +7 / Move 30’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8 DC 18
    Skills: Acrobatics +7, Athletics +9, Warfare Lore +5, Religion +7, Stealth +7, Pahmet Lore +5
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Stunning blow (If attacking same target twice, DC 19 Fort save or stunned 1 round) Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter); Battle Medicine (Treat wounds in combat)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+9 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+9 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed w/wraps (+10 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone w/wraps (+10 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Money: 8 gp 1 sp 6 cp
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"If we're going to spend a lot of time in a boring desert, I can try and get a stab at it," Dalnu said, "it will take some time to learn the language, but it should be fun to learn."

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Sofh accepts the flowers and vase graciously, “you are very thoughtful, Kharesh. Although it is you who honors us. I owe you my freedom, as do ten others - never forget that.”

Sofh leaves you alone with Zetath for a minute, who tries to explain to you some of his work providing evidence for how the number eleven really exists as opposed to most of the other numbers. Sofh places a sealed letter in confused hands, “My only request is that you provide me a detailed account when you return.”

With full bellies, earnest gratitude traded, and a plan to get out of the city for a couple weeks, the party leaves the al Ustadh household and retires for the evening.

————————————

The next morning’s dawn takes you to the Daystalls and Alseen’s Camels. The expansive pens and stables seems to be housing well over a hundred of the cranky spitting dromedaries, but for desert travel there is none better. Alhamed Alseen is a titan of a man in his mid-fifties. He stands over six and a half feet tall, and even through his light robes you can tell he is powerfully built. His hirsute forearm is a thick stack of corded muscle that briefly exits the robe as he takes the letter Sofh provided. After reading through it, he says, this will provide collateral, says two weeks to rent. It’s a silver a camel, copper each for food and water a day, copper for food and water skins for the rider. So 13 copper a day for fourteen days…… 1 platinum, 9 silver. We’ll load them with extra food and water in case it takes longer than two weeks. When you return them you pay or get reimbursed the difference. They are solid for riders, but dismount if you are attacked. Learn your camel’s name - they will come when called. Most of the time…” He hands you off to an attendant who provides a lot of desert travel tips, particularly to avoid midday sun and travel near dawn and dusk. For the Badawi and Pahmet, the recommendations are rote.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2024-01-22 at 10:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar lets the explanation flow over him until he's point to a camel. He approaches the beast cautiously making sure to grab the lead andcontrol it well as he stares into the beasts long lashed eyes. "You and m will be getting on won't we Desert Rose?" He examines his beast carefully looking for signs of any injury or illness and slapping its hump to make sure its fully "loaded" before helping any of the others if they need some help with the beasts

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Kheti watched the transaction carefully, the camel merchant was a powerful built man, likely years spent wrangling the foul-tempered beasts. To be honest, he was thankful for being able to leave Katapesh, the city was, after all, his home for these last, several, decades. However, it was, oft times, oppressive, the press of the markets, the intrigues, the politicking, the scheming, at times, it was easier to deal with the harsh environs of the surrounding, shifting sands. The wind born sand storms could flay the flesh from living bones in hours ... but, at least, that was a danger that you could see coming, that you could plan for, prepare for. Waiting for the assassin's blade, that was something else entirely, so it was here, swaying back and forth to the odd, but familiar, gait of the camel beneath him that Kheti began to relax, if only just by a margin.

"It is good to be on the sands again," he said to no one in particular, "Katapesh casts a long shadow on one's soul." As the city receeded behind them, he consulted the maps that they had, plotting the safest route to their destination, while avoiding the knowable hazards of the deep sands.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu got a camel named Cinnamon and while she knew the basics of caring for it, she didn't knew all that much to understand whether the creature was ill. So she would happily take Sadar's advice on advanced camel care. She did know that they needed a lot of water so she would happily take extra water skins. She also inquired after a map of the region, with things like oasis marked. Maybe they would try to find a wand of create water to have some extra, just in case.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The first four days and nights in the desert pass smoothly. The scrubby plants and occasional fauna die off as you get a day from Katapesh, at which point, the rare scampering lizard, geier coasting overhead, or distant yip of a jackal all provide a welcome interruption to the monotonous dry heat and sand.

The camels prove fine beasts. They seem to know what they are doing and are willing to go in the direction pointed with little issue. With Sofh’s map, Gurmok’s compass, and Sadar, Kheti, and Kharesh’s desert familiarity, the travel seems fortunate to encounter nothing problematic. The map contains several noted oases, including seasonal ones, that allow easy opportunity to feed and fill waterskins. Alseen’s did load you up with food and water, but you fare much better on your own than he clearly expected.

The fifth day sees the temperature spike to very unpleasant levels. By mid morning it is already quite unpleasant. While you stay in the shade midday as usual, the oppressive heat is unrelenting, and collectively it is concluded that continuing in the heat in the early evening would be too dangerous - half the day is wasted, but you have plenty of supplies and weather the problems without issue.

The next day is cooler, and rather uneventful. The day after brings you to where you believe your destination should be. The sun is getting low in the sky when you finally find the largely unmarked pit. It is about 20 ft x 30 ft, dug almost 10 ft down. Long dug channels extend deep along the sides to catch stray sand. Part of the eastern wall has eroded significantly allowing for a challenging, but straightforward traverse in and out of the pit. The western wall on the pit is hard stone with a 5 foot wide entrance in the middle of it that immediately opens into stairs downward. Two heavy stone doors lie broken in the shallow sand covered earth in front of the opening. A few large bones are clearly visible in front of the entrance.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar had been enjoying the wilds of the desert, the sun, the sand and the whistle of the wind flowing like water across the dunes, it had been a relief after the oppressive crush of the city. As they recahed the partially dug tomb he slips from the camel's back and walks to the edge of the pit to investigate the area. Gazing down into the pit he skirts the area looking for any signs of people in the area recently looking for drag marks or foot prints in the sand...

Looking for tracks (1d20+8)[28]

28. - Top - End - #628

Gumrok doesn't exactly enjoy the trip, but he feels safer out in the open desert, than in the crowded city, where every story he heard and every warning he received made him jump at shadows, always wondering when assassins might come for he and his newfound friends. As for Zen, the goblin dog maintains his kind's reputation as hardy beasts, finding nourishment in every plant and insect he comes across, no matter how disgusting or harmful it looks. His master only needs to pay attention to the group's supply of water, which he replenishes daily, thanks to Irori's blessing.

As the group arrives at their destination, the goblin surveys the area. He leaves the matter of tracking to more expert people, but takes an interested look at the bones.

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll use Create Water daily during the trip. On arrival, he'll try to Recall Knowledge (+10 in Nature) to see if he can identify the large bones.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

The cumbersome automaton dismounted his camel, dropping, heavily, to the sand. Slowly, cautiously, he approached the western wall, cautiously, it's head sweeping to and fro, scanning the area. At the remnants of the door, it dropped to one knee, the crescent-tipped executioner's sword held loosely in one hand. The spark of illumination from it's quintessence-powered core shedding illumination on the sands beneath it, it bent one hand tracing the edge of the large broken doors. It brushed the sand from the door, itself, to better view it, looking for any inscription, or runes, carved within it's surface. It then turned it's attention to the hinges, in an effort to determine the manner in which it was removed from the frame it had been set, standing sentinel over the stairs below.

"We should be cautious," it intoned, "if these stairs have stood open overlong, some desert predator may have taken up residence within, if only to escape the cruel sun, and ever present, threat of sand storms."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Search the Door (Determine how it was removed from it's hinges; Perception +5); then Cast a Spell (Detect Magic) to determine if the doors, themselves, are magical, in some nature.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Sadar
    Show
    Despite the challenge in the sandy, windy environment, Sadar is able to find a few scattered tracks, clearly animal tracks. His best guess are jackals, but he isn’t confident in that.

Spoiler: Gurmok
    Show
    Gurmok thinks the bones are from camels, maybe just one camel. There are teeth marks on the bones, some have even been worn down from chewing. When he sees the tracks, he is sure these are dhabba tracks. Dhabbas are venomous mammals, like jackals, but with a bony scorpion-like tail. They are mostly scavengers, but they also hunt small prey. Occasionally, they will attack humanoids, but only from defense of self, young or hunger desperation. He is pretty sure the camel must have been scavenged, as dhabbas would have a lot of trouble killing one.

Spoiler: Kheti
    Show
    Kheti has no idea what broke the doors. It would probably have to have been something strong or someone with tools. It could have happened a long time ago too. He senses no magic.