New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

Sadar

Sadar looks at the gnoll and deliberately moves his hands away from his sword in a gesture of peace. He may despise the savage hyena scum but he still values the manners that dominate the lands and city around Katapesh to keep the squabbling tribes in check. "I apologise for my rudeness Master Merchant." he offers, "But even what little you remember of the tribes may help us" he offers trying to placate the gnoll.

Lore (gnolls) (1d20+4)[24]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Gurmok isn’t sure what to make of the wound. He doesn’t think it was caused by animal, but more than that he couldn’t say.
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Gwynfrid: to study something like that doesn’t use your action, on the scale of this encounter glancing at his wound is instantaneous. Gurmok can take another action, or if it works better with your schedule, make two next round.

Sadar’s efforts seem to go a long way toward removing the edge from Hlaspak. Something about Sadar’s tone and conciliatory gesture calm the merchant, and he gestured the sign for forgiveness and says, “I should be more used to it. On some level, I understand too. Honestly, other gnolls probably put me on edge more than they do for you.”

Sadar is also familiar with the particular banishment scar on Hlaspak. It is from the Spotted Hide tribe, which is one of the gnoll tribes dwelling closest to the city. Additionally, the burn marks on the bottom are the mark shaming him for trying to make another gnoll work - one of the greatest sins a gnoll can commit.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

At the curt and decisive response Kharesh nodded. It was for such interactions that the dwarf had long ago given up being a social animal. He turned to walk away, but the rest of the group seemed inclined to stay. Frowning for a moment, he glanced back and forth between the gnoll and the others. When Hlaspak seemingly relented on his insistence they leave, the dwarven monk moved to the side. He watched carefully, eyeing the shop and those that entered, quiet as the group still attempted to coerce the man, to little avail. However, as he listened, he noticed the change in volume and speed when the gnoll spoke about spices. He was not an academic, but he was fairly observant. He waited for a lull, then asked the man quietly, "Pardon. Do you have Tiger Clove? In Tar Kuata, my mudarris drank tea with it. What is it?"

Well, another opportunity to swing wildly. Trying to influence, using his interest in spices, trying to draw upon the lore of Pahmet to get him talking.
    Lore - (1d20+3)[4]

... After that I'm giving up. I can't take another critical failure. And this isn't Kharesh's strong suit.
    Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-05-24 at 03:33 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Gex was silent throughout the whole conversation with Zetath, he was still shocked from their previous experience, he came out if his stupor while walking to the spice trader, entering he watched and learned, the interaction between everyone was interesting, some blunt as a hammer, others with a little more finesse, either way, they were all idiots.

"I am Gex Daelfagnim a pleasure to meet you, I apologize for my friends here, we just came from a rather interesting ordeal and I think we are still recovering to be honest." he says simply with a simple smile "You seem to want to get to the point, well here it is, we were told by someone to look for you, that you may indeed be able to assist us. And that is what we are looking for, assistance, so we can help a tradesman recover his wife, who was taken as a slave in the last 3 days or so. Her caravan from Solku was scheduled to arrive in the evening three days ago, she traveled with a pseudonym, Foshal al Tanakur. And her real name is Sofh, wife to the merchant Zetath. It seems to have happened before, several times, and the merchant would just buy her back. Zetath is rather good with Mathematics and numerology, I wonder if he could be of use to you perhaps? Additionally so, this group will be in your debt, one we are happy to oblige, maybe we can get you some rare herbs or spices? or maybe we can espouse your shop during this event?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+3)[12]
    Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[13]

Gex
    HP's: 16/16
    AC: 16
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +5
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +3
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    Effects: none
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Hlaspak’s eyes narrow when Kharesh brings up Tiger Clove. His response is cold at best, “that is a spice that I no longer carry. Tiger cloves are simply Thuvian cloves that have been first eaten by the striped Thuvian civets. After their dung dries, the remnants of the cloves are collected and ground. After dealing with an irate customer who learned the origin, I simply don’t carry them anymore. Even if you had a civet, they only eat them fresh.”

To Gex, his response is a bit warmer at least. After all, someone finally articulated why you were here in a bit of detail. After helping two other customers who enter, he turns back to Gex. “Even if I knew something, none of my information would be current. I have no connection to that life any more. Sympathetic? I am. But if I were to send you to someone and they figured out it was me… well, that is trouble I definitely don’t want. The plight of one stranger among many is not worth risking my own welfare.”

Hlaspak points to the draining hourglass, which is half empty.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-05-26 at 01:24 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

After learning which tribe the gnoll was in and realising there is little esle the merchant seems to be able to tell them the guard looks to the others, particularly the dwarf Kahresh and murmurs a quiet "Maybe we should head out and meet the caravan and liberate the slaves ourselves?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mauricio accepts the silver back with surprise. He had been under the impression that violet salt offered water-retaining properties when consumed with a meal... Seems like the term 'snake oil' applies here.

Gex's directness proves to be a blessing. At least Hlaspak is actually sympathetic, if hesitant. Mauricio steeples his fingers together as he tries a different angle. "Why does anyone have to know that it was you who informed us? If we walked out of here with an exchange of coins for goods such as tea or spice, that would alleviate some suspicion rather than knowing we left empty-handed. I cannot imagine that there are no underground movements here in Katapesh that strike from the shadows to break the chains of slavery. There are doubtless several bogeymen at whose feet the blame could be laid.

Perhaps if I offered a bit of friendly business advice... Why do you not have an assistant here in the shop? Someone who can help keep inventory, field customers, and manage deliveries? Someone who could watch your shop if you had to step out for any reason? Per chance, say... to fetch the Zephyr Guard while a troublesome group of perceived vagabonds loitering in your shop?"
    The last question is offered with wry self-awareness. "Yes, it would be additional cost in terms of salary, but operating at a higher efficiency would more than compensate for the investment... especially when higher value items are concerned."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Actions:
    Influence: Persuade Hlaspak that getting an assistant is a good idea. Diplomacy (1d20+1)[6]
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Twice he tried; twice he was rebuffed. Kharesh knew a losing prospect when he saw one, so he nodded once and stepped back. When Sadar leaned over and whispered an alternative course, he waited for a moment to listen to Mauricio's comments before nodding and heading to the door. "Leave these talkers to talk. I am no value here.""

Funny enough, it may help reduce the likelihood that we are in league with the merchant if a few of us leave in a 'huff.' Besides, Kharesh can seemingly only hamper our efforts here :)

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Show
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

As Kharesh begins to leave the shop, Hlaspak replies to Mauricio. “Fair points. I… have considered an assistant. I worry about perceptions though.”

“I was born in the Spotted Hide. They are by far the most like to raid any caravans from Solku taken near the city. Typically the raiders would then give the captured to Spotted Hide slavers in Dog town who sell them or occasionally send them on to Okeno. Many could tell you this.”

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

It sounded like they had gotten as much information from this Hlaspak as they were going to. Though she felt somewhat annoyed at the gnoll's cowardice, Kali couldn't fault him for keeping his own interests in the forefront. It was a common occurrence in this city, and one she had grown to expect. As Kharesh turned to leave after Sadar whispered something, Kali moved to follow him outside.

There didn't seem to be anything else to gain by wasting more time at the shop, and maybe she could track these slavers down easier once outside.

Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

Kali Ashmane
    HP: 22/22
    AC: 18
    Class DC: 16
    Speed: 20ft
    Fort: +7

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

11. - Top - End - #101

Gurmok listens to the conversation, feeling way out of his element. Some of his companions are rude, others try to be nice, to avoid the subject in a number of ways, until the gnome, bless his heart, decides to ask a straight question. One of the reasons for the gnoll's reluctance, at least, becomes clear. Still, he decides to give some information to the tiefling...

The little blue-skinned goblin steps forward, politely taking his straw hat off, and places his hand solemnly on his chest, where his white shirt prominently features the embroidered symbol of Irori.

"Sir, my friend here is correct. We need this information to rescue someone from the slavers. We understand that this may carry danger for you if we were to tell anyone about our source, but I assure you most solemnly that we have no such intention." His voice is high-pitched, with a little of artificiality in it as he makes his best effort to eradicate the screechy intonations typical of his heritage - he knows how longshanks find them irritating to their delicate ears, and who's to know whether a gnoll would react similarly?

"You, Sir, are someone who has suffered from violence in the past. This is unfortunate. I fully respect that you would not want this to happen again. I hereby swear, in the name of the Master of Masters, that I will do everything in my power to make sure your name is not mentioned in our quest." He looks around at the others, hoping for a sign of approbation, or at least neutrality.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempt to make an impression, Diplomacy (untrained) (1d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-05-28 at 05:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

A series of customers distracts Hlaspak while half the group gives up. Finally, Gurmok makes his entreaty, which seems to be going well until Hlaspak’s eyes go wide. “WHAT IS IT DOING?! NO! BAD… THING!” He shouts at Zen as the goblin dog pees on the floor. The gnoll hastily cleans up the mess, but is clearly irritated by the turn of events.

He finally looks over to the hour glass and says with a sigh to the three that remain, “time is up. I’ll be blunt - you have done little to persuade me I should help you. Still, for the missing woman’s sake, I could tell you someone who used to raid the Solku caravans for many years. He is retired now in Dogtown. He is unlikely to be helpful. But I’ll point you to him if you buy an ounce of my ras al hanout - finest in the city. It’s on sale - 4 gold for an ounce.” He points to the labeled jar which clearly says “ras al hanout, 1 sp / oz.”
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-05-29 at 11:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Mauricio's long fingers nearly cover his entire face as it enters his palm at the sight of the goblin's pet relieving itself on the floor of the establishment. Despite half an hour of collaborative effort, all they have managed to do is antagonize their one lead. He is almost ready to offer what bribe money he has when his eyes fall on the clearly labeled price. The tiefling's eye twitches. After all their work, Mauricio is finally done in by the gnoll's mocking phrasing. He turns to the merchant and offers the shallowest of bows. "I shall trouble you no further." The ice in his voice makes it clear that Hlaspak's mental welfare is the very last thing on his mind. Mauricio exits to reconvene with the others.

Show

Mauricio Averni

14. - Top - End - #104

"ZEN! NO!" Gurmok, his face purple with embarrassment, rushes forward to grab the goblin dog's harness and physically drag him out. "I said stay here! It lasted longer than I thought but you were to stay anyway! No sweet pies for you tonight!" He gets out, re-attaches the harness to the same post, with a double knot to replace the one the giant rodent obviously managed to chew through. "There, now you stay, seriously!"

The looks on his face, still a deep purple, don't belong to a happy goblin. The fact is that he's deeply ashamed by his best friend's repellent behavior. Just as I was meeting new people and trying to make a good impression! There's nothing for it, he has to own up to the mistake and make penance for this loss of control. He goes straight to Hlaspak, checks that nothing more can be done to help clean up. That's a relief, because he suspects the merchant wouldn't let him touch anything anymore.

"Sir... Today is a day of shame for me. My companion is loyal, but my efforts at training him have proven lacking. This is entirely my fault, and I deeply apologize for this awful sullying of your establishment's floor.

I wish to make reparations..."
    He listens to the gnoll's price statement. He can't miss the label on this jar of some substance he has never heard of before. But this doesn't matter. Clearly, the gnoll is either mocking him, or testing him. Master of Masters, you teach us to accept every event as a test of mettle. Let me not disappoint a second time this day. He faces the merchant, over twice as tall as him, looking straight up into the gnoll's furious eyes.

"Sir, I see that you are an honest businessman. I, as a follower of Irori, respect this. Myself, I strive to be an honest traveler and customer. As such, I wish to purchase an ounce of your ras al hanout. For it, I shall pay you full price as listed by its honest label." He takes a silver coin from his pouch, and places it on the counter. "I also wish to compensate you for the disgusting damage my animal caused." A gold coin joins the silver. "Finally, and that will be subject to your final judgment, I request that you give us the name that might help us in our quest." He produces another gold coin, but doesn't put it down yet. "If you accept this as an honest payment, I believe you will have done a good deed, and a good deal as well. If you don't, then I shall trouble you no more."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-05-30 at 03:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Hlaspak frowns, but takes the silver and measures out an ounce of the spice blend, which he hands to Gurmok in a slip of parchment. “Clearly, I’ve failed to communicate. Four gold is the price I’ve placed on the information. If any of your compatriots wish to contribute, I will provide the information; otherwise, have a good day.” He does not take the gold on the table.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Outside, Kharesh glanced around the area, looking for signs of trouble, perhaps understandable given the recent chaos. He turned to Sadar, giving a curt nod to the exiting Kali before he spoke. "The merchant mentioned Spotted Hide slavers in town. Do you know where to find them?" Before the conversation could continue much further, there was an exclamation from inside, and shortly after the other human exited, a look that did not speak of good tidings upon his face. Kharesh waited expectantly as Mauricio joined them.

Going back, it feels like Kharesh was to the point ... but them 1s and 2s, tho ...

Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“If you change your mind, you know my price,” Hlaspak says as the last one leaves his spice shop. Outside, in the plaza of the Azure Star, the group discusses Hlaspak, and with mixed emotions decide to head to the Daystalls district and check with the caravan companies.

As the Daystalls are on the other side of the city, it is a long journey, made worse on account of the throngs of people roaming the streets for the Grand Bazaar. Over two hours of shoving through crowds finally puts you on the other side of the wall and into the Daystalls.

The Daystalls are a ramshackle mockery of the heart of Katapesh. The Grand Bazaar continues here, but as a mere shadow of the world inside the walls. Nearly everything here is cheaper and chintzier, yet hawked with the same gusto as in the Lower City. Any merchant with a product in the upper echelon would have moved their business inside the walls, so the dregs are what you’ll tend to find out here. Not the dregs of the dregs - those are reserved for Dogtown, still subpar services, shady charlatans, and shoddy merchandise plague the Daystalls. There are some diamonds in this rough though - businesses either that have yet to ascend, that, here and there, have chosen to stay - usually for want of larger workshops, or that simply make more sense to be in the Daystalls.

The caravans are of the latter breed. As the main roads out of Katapesh - south to Quantium, north to Wati, Tephu, and An, west to Solku - all leave from the Daystalls, it is here that the caravans can be found. Past the stables, at the edge of the city with just roads and scrublands beyond, the various caravan companies are nestled. Among them only three go to Solku - the Savanna Rangers, Wolthan’s Wagons, and Safe Travels. It does not take long to ascertain that a Savanna Ranger’s caravan is the one that didn’t arrive from Solku three nights ago.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar had left with the others, unhappy with the attitude from the merchant and happier now as he headed into the shadier Daystalls. Somewhere where has spent much time seeking work and other boons for himself. "If we ask around the stalls here we may find some help, or at least a nod in the right direction." He looks about for the nearest slave caravans and will head there to see of he can get some information

19. - Top - End - #109

As potentially dangerous as it is to leave the gnoll with so much information and yet not likewise ensnare him in the conspiracy, Mauricio's self-righteous indignation does not even consider going back in to pay the merchant's fee. Although squeezing through the street crowds is wearisome, it does give Mauricio time to consider their situation and their next move. It also helps to distract him from the subpar goods and services being hawked around him...

Being on the fringe of the city is a bit nerve-racking. Fights in Katapesh could simply rage in the street, let alone on the outskirts. Still, this is where they need to be. The clock is always ticking.

At least they are quick to find which company it was that suffered the raid. Mauricio keeps his eyes open for whoever looks to be in charge... or perhaps a ragged survivor of the attack.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[21], +1 if Pursue a Lead applies.
    Society: (1d20+7)[19], +1 if Pursue a Lead applies.
    Mauricio Averni

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

There are several proximal, shaded kiosks selling space on the various caravans. There is no substantive slave trade in the Daystalls - the slave markets in the Lower City, colloquially called the Nightstalls, are the main place where that trade flourishes. There and Okeno, of course.

Safe Travels is preparing a caravan to Wati that leaves within the hour, and the brusque raven-haired Nidalese woman orchestrating the operation clearly has her hands full, directing passengers, freight, and crew to their proper tasks. A marked slate reveals they have a caravan leaving for Solku and another for Quantium tomorrow, then one for Wati and another for Quantium the next day. A caravan from Quantium and Wati are expected to arrive this evening and one from Solku tomorrow.

Wolthan’s Wagons is manned by a tall long-faced Ulfen man with straw-brown hair and a long full beard wearing a broad straw hat. At the moment, the stall is empty, and the man observes his surroundings whilst bearing the expression plastered on the face of any employee with nothing to do. A slate indicates that their next caravan leaves in two days for Solku, and the next three days after that - one arrives in two days as well.

The Savanna Rangers kiosk, that for the company responsible for Sofh’s caravan, is manned by a Kelesh beauty in her early twenties. She has shoulder length hair, stylish robes, and wears a golden circlet set with a tiger eye. She is finishing booking passage to Quantium later today for a young halfling couple. There is a caravan to Solku tomorrow, and one to Wati the day after. A caravan arrives from Wati tonight, and one rack from Quantium and Solku in two days. The fact that they were raided just days before does not seem to have impacted their business too much.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh followed the group, uncertain what the specific plan was to gather information. The caravans might be a good place to start, but only if someone had seen something, or knew who had
    attacked the caravan during its journey. Once they were in the thick of things, however, Kharesh leaned towards the others and commented in a low voice, "No caravans and no tears. Why?" It seemed curious that losing a caravan, which equated to money, was barely acknowledged around here. That meant that it happened so often, no one batted an eye.

Or they knew about the attacks prior, and were already compensated for the 'loss.' He glanced at the others, wonder who would step up to negotiate this time ...

Look around for anyone who looks suspicious Perception - (1d20+5)[12]

Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar looked down at the the dwarf and shrugged, "Working in the caravans is a hard business. Losses are accepted.. up to a point and after a while you get inured to the loss and suffering." Then he spies the kelish beauty and Savanna Rangers Sigil and heads towards her. Approaching slowly he offers a low and polite bow before asking directly "We lost friends on the caravan that was attacked some few days hence. Do you know if survivors reached the city or were all lost? How far from the city was the aid site if we want to try and find a memory of those we have lost?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The woman takes on a sympathetic expression and replies, “I am so sorry some people you know have gone missing. My name is Alanna, and I can help you find out what happened, and hopefully where they are now. If they were passengers, then they were likely captured by a gnoll raiding party about twelve miles west of here. Your best bet is unfortunately to buy them back from the gnolls. One passenger sadly died from a scorpion sting, but his family has already seen to his remains. If they were guards - well, it was a rough trip. Halfway through the trip, a desert drake attacked and killed six of the guards. Then some Sandstalkers raided in the night, and four more guards were taken. Usually, the caravans are well enough guarded to fend off the attack near the city, but under protected as it was, unfortunately the gnolls took everyone prisoner. Most of the cargo from the caravan was recovered.”

“Now who are you looking for?”

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

"We're looking fer a woman by the name o' Sofh." Kali responded, stepping up to the kiosk. Thankfully, she was tall enough to see over the counter of this one without having to stand on her toes like a child. It was discouraging to see just how unaffected Alanna was by the incident given her casual reporting on just how many people had died on that trip, but perhaps Sadar was right. Even so, for such trips to be that dangerous that often, it was surprising anyone risked these ventures at all.

Not that staying put in a small shack in the forest had kept her safe anyways.

"If there's anythin' else you could tell us about these slavers, or the location the caravan was raided, it'd be a mighty kindness."

It was possible they now had the faintest lead, but going off without more information could very well lead them into being the next batch of slaves up for sale.

Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

Kali Ashmane
    HP: 22/22
    AC: 18
    Class DC: 16
    Speed: 20ft
    Fort: +7

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

25. - Top - End - #115

Gurmok finds this matter-of-fact description of what happened to the caravan astounding. He's encountered some exotic people and customs in his travels around the Inner Sea, but this... "Pardon me, Msitress Alanna. But this strikes me as a very disorderly and wasteful fashion of doing business. Many die, money is exchanged for the freedom of survivors. Only the criminals profit. Can't the city's authorities correct this state of affairs?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Alanna looks over a piece of parchment, and then says, “I’m sorry, we don’t have anyone by that name as having been on the caravan.” When someone provides the alias, she says, “ah here, Foshal al Tanakur… still unaccounted for. Well, we know she didn’t die at the scene - no one did actually. But she also isn’t being auctioned under this moniker. If she is being sold under the other name, then you’d have to check at the flesh markets.”

To Gurmok’s point she says, “the drake attack was certainly abnormal. That has never happened in my three years working here. Sandstalkers are often a problem, and usually those they capture wind up the Okeno flesh fairs. We will try to buy the guards back when they show up there. As for the attack nearby, the Spotted Hide attempts are usually thwarted, but they do succeed when we have such issues on the journey.”

The large ulfen man nearby then speaks up, “you call them criminals, but they are breaking no laws. Taxes are paid in the transactions, so - surprise - the city does profit. A drake attack is very unusual. I’ve been doing this for over twenty years and unless the rare complete loss of a caravan can be explained by a drake, I’ve never seen that happen before. Usually, the gnolls don’t kill anyone. It is unfortunate, but it is a better situation than it used to be. They aren’t as rough with the captured as they used to be, and they no longer burn or destroy the wagons and goods.” He shrugs and adds, “it’s far from ideal, but it is an improvement.”

“The gnolls who took her are surely Spotted Hide beyond that, I don’t have any information to give,” Alanna says politely.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh listened as the group asked questions, realizing the lack of emotional outbursts was driven by a simple factor - money. The goods had already been recovered, new guards could be hired later, and any travelers who were lost had likely already paid a portion in advance for the transportation ... meaning the caravans were only out half a promised fee if the passengers were kidnapped and it was more than they would have gotten with no passengers. Looking it around, for all the issues, it was obvious it still was a lucrative venture. Besides, the selling and buying of prisoners likely made up for any true losses sustained. It wouldn't surprise him if the caravan companies made some profit based off of slave sails.

Once it became apparent there were no more details to be had, Kharesh joined the group away from the woman and murmured, "We have limited options, and no leverage. I wonder if offering our services would garner more aid.

Do we engage the Spotted Hide?"

I wonder if taking out a drake is a) within our capabilities, b) an opportunity for some good will with the caravan folks

Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Mauricio is shocked by how casually the caravans seem to accept this. It seems that most of the others share his feelings, but Sadar points out the harsh nature of caravan work. At the very least, Alanna seems willing to provide what little information that she has. Why would their missing woman not be on the books, however? Is she such a high profile prospect that the slavers are concerned about someone confiscating their prize? Mauricio struggles to imagine that the current state of affairs is "better", but he knows better than to ask how the gnolls previously treated their captives...

Once the well of information has run dry, Mauricio joins Kharesh away from the stalls. He sees that the dwarf is just as displeased with the situation as he is. Mauricio scowls and rubs at his chin with a bony knuckle. "Normally, I do not advocate seeking violence, but... I cannot imagine the flesh stalls ending in anything other than tragedy. I very much doubt that we could offer anything to trade... anything acceptable, at any rate. My real concern is that if an entire caravan of armed guards were insufficient, will we fare much better? I don't mean to disrespect the skill that was obviously shown earlier in the market, and I defer to Sadar's judgment in these circumstances, but offering ourselves as live bait for ambush sounds like a fine way to end up in shackles ourselves."

He heaves a deep sigh. "But I do not see any other choice..."

Show

Mauricio Averni

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

When the group moves away from Alanna’s stall, the ulfen man motions you over. He says quietly, “if you want to try to negotiate with the gnolls directly, I can point you to them. If they think you are offering a better price than they’d get at auction and without the taxes, they are happy to sell off the books. Kathalra al Rath in Dogtown has handled this with us in the past. She is… unpleasant, might not talk to you at all, but you may get your friend before auction that way. She can usually be found at the Rabid Dog. Good luck and be careful.” He tips his broad brimmed hat at you.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar pauses, a thinking expression on his face as he brushes at his bearded chin. "It is a tall order to take on a Drake, sandstalkers and a gnoll tribe." Then he nods to Alanna, "My thanks for the advice," then glancing at the others, "We can discuss the sands outside the city shortly but we can head to the Flesh Markets and speak with this Kathalra al Rath. The Rabid Dog sounds a lovely place for a drink this fine evening."