New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: IC: CtL 2E New Orleans by Night

The Horned Toad shrugs. "I have noticed many of the Lost take a second name they prefer to use when not amongst mortals," it replies, the hobgoblin's voice no longer hushed and furtive, but instead perhaps a little bored, adding, "I suppose there are many reasons for this." It shrugs again. Laura catches as its bulbous eyes lock onto and follow a pair of hobgoblins coming up the road, pulling a wooden cart filled with what looks like a variety of ancient statues of various designs and influences. "Is there anything else I can help with then," The Horned Toad asks.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

'No thank you Toad, you've been more then helpful.' Laura will glance towards the party of Hobgoblins. 'I believe I need to go and get some rice. Feel free to call when you have something for me.' Laura will leave the Horned Toad to his business and will go looking for a rice dish to fufill the conditions of her first request.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To this the Horned Toad raises a bulbous eye again. "So you wish for someone to settle your affairs for you as well," the hobgoblin croaks.

(OOC: The "order a dish with rice in it, and give half of it to the first person you see, before noon" was for the Horned Toad to have an executor of affairs if Laura does not return, and was not related to Odin... sorry if that wasn't clear)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

'Is that an option?' Laura asked. Perhaps it wasn't. Toad had said he had doubted her resolve. 'Let's say that I intend to come back...but if something happens to prevent it?' Better to die trying in that case. 'I don't know if anyone knows enough about what might happen beyond the Thorns, so I feel like I ought to be prepared for the worst. But of course, if I have to make a choice, your friend coming through for me would be preferred.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I read that as both options being on the table. If I have to choose I'm going with Odin though.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Horned Toad waves a webbed hand at Laura in a casting away gesture. "That is alright, both are possible I suppose," the hobgoblin replies, "though the safeguard of one practically negates the need for the other." It makes a gesture that might be shrug, though the bulbous creature truly lacks shoulders and adds, "But if you wish, I shall know when the task is completed, and will keep my end of the bargain."

Of course, Laura had been on her way to follow up with Shadow, when she had decided to stop by The Horned Toad's stand in the market. And now more and more people (though not all human people) were beginning to trickle into the tumbledown. It was by no means "alive" like it would be in another hour or two, but Laura was not the only one walking the dusty street.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

'Maybe' Laura concedes 'But under the circumstances. If I don't need it we can laugh about it later. Thanks for your help Toad.' Laura will go looking for Shadow before everything got too busy.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Laura departs from The Great Horned Toad's perch, and begins winding her way through the streets of the goblin market. Most of the stalls are set up now, and a hand full of shoppers are trickling through the streets. In a few hours the arteries and capillaries of The Tumble Down will be clocked with throngs of shoppers; hobgoblins and changelings alike, and navigating the area will be like swimming against a massive current.

Without such challenge, it takes Laura a little under 15 minutes to reach Shadow's stall. From about twenty yards away, Laura can see that a "Closed" posting still hangs on the stall's overhead sign. However, Shadow is there, accompanied by three other figures. As Laura approaches, the old man recognizes her and she can see a big grin spread across his face, as he gestures towards the others who stand about the stall.

Laura's eyes are drawn immediately to the massive ogre towering over the other three. His face is snouted like a lizards, his eyes yellow orbs with black slit pupils. The Ogre's skin is speckled with leathery green scales, and his long sinewy arms end in clawed talons, the black keratin split and marred with the scars of a brutal durance. Membranous bat's wings sprout from the changeling's shoulders. Laura has never seen this Ogre before, and it would be hard to forget such a monster.

Next, Laura recognizes a far more familiar changeling. Annie the Trickster Spider stood patiently next to Shadow, her "normal" arms resting over her abdomen, while one of her eight arachnid legs rested supportively on Shadow's shoulder. Annie was a member of the Lagniappe Tribune; a separate Freehold in New Orleans meant to cultivate the elite and wealthiest Changelings. She was known both for her ability to weave beautiful garments woven with Wyrd properties, but also as one of the great Hedge navigators, just like Laura. Perhaps it was the woman's quiet nature and cold expression, but Annie had always come off as aloof to Laura, her silence seeming to spill with disdain.

Shadow's third companion was not a Changeling at all but a short hobgoblin of sorts. Standing at maybe two and a half feet tall, the scruffy creature had a bulbous pocked nose and was covered in a main of coarse brown curly fur which hid most of its form. The thing was dressed in a button down shirt and slacks held by suspenders, but it's massive clawed feet were bare.

As Laura approaches, Shadow beams, "I have held up my end of our agreement!"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

The appearance of the Ogre didn't bother Laura. He might give her trouble if he wanted to, but he was probably safe enough. After encountering Changelings that had undergone similar durances she had made a point of being as normal as possible towards them. It wasn't his fault he looked like that. She didn't know what Shadow had told Annie to get her here but her reputation spoke for itself. The hobgoblin was a mystery.

Laura grinned at Shadow's enthusiasm. 'That you have. And they know what they're getting into?'

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Shadow nods his head, though it is Annie who speaks up, her words fast and sharp. "We do," she says, the cold expression still on her face.

The ogre nods his head in agreement, while the Hob simply shrugs, an anxious expression on the thing's face.

The Ogre speaks up now, his voice like gravel crunching under a boot, "You are Laura? You seek to rescue a human from the clutches of the Fae?" His voice booms at first, though with the second question, the Ogre lowers his voice to a hush, perhaps superstitious that even the mention of the Gentry might summon their presence.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

'Then the question is what's in it for all of you?' Laura assumed there must be some sort of catch. 'Aside from Annie I don't even know the rest of your names.'

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Annie opens her mouth to speak, but is cut off by the Ogre, who raises his voice over hers. "My name is Errol," he replies, placing a massive clawed hand over his chest before adding, "And thwarting the Fae and saving a mortal from captivity is reason enough!"

Once the dragon has announced his noble intentions, the spider clears her throat loudly, casting a harsh glare his way. Sharply she adds, "Yes, of course, though I know how members of your court love to barter and bargain. I am sure we can find something to trade over." There was something almost mocking in Annie's words, though she wasn't wrong. It wasn't "courtly" to just accept free help, and Laura would be expected to offer to barter for their help.

Before she can reply though, the furry hobgoblin speaks up. It's voice is shrill and warbles like a bird that had learned to mimic human speech. "Yeah! I won't do nothing for free. I expect to be fairly compensated for my help!" The creature's mane bobs and ruffles as it speaks, and it seems to have forgotten to introduce itself.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Annie opens her mouth to speak, but is cut off by the Ogre, who raises his voice over hers. "My name is Errol," he replies, placing a massive clawed hand over his chest before adding, "And thwarting the Fae and saving a mortal from captivity is reason enough!"
    Laura hadn't been expecting that level of enthusiasm. 'Hey Errol. I think we can agree on that.' Having an Ogre around would be helpful but she had to wonder how things had been going for him that he should agree to this so readily. 'But I don't want to lose anyone else on the way if I can help it. How are you with the Hedge?'

Once the dragon has announced his noble intentions, the spider clears her throat loudly, casting a harsh glare his way. Sharply she adds, "Yes, of course, though I know how members of your court love to barter and bargain. I am sure we can find something to trade over." There was something almost mocking in Annie's words, though she wasn't wrong. It wasn't "courtly" to just accept free help, and Laura would be expected to offer to barter for their help.
    Laura was familar with this sort of attitude. She was of the opinion that being able to bargain honestly in the Tumbledown was a defence mechanism as much as anything else. 'Well ok then. What exactly do you want Annie? I feel like most of what I could offer is the sort of thing you could get for yourself.' She responds without having to think about it. There was no point in looking like Annie was getting to her.

Before she can reply though, the furry hobgoblin speaks up. It's voice is shrill and warbles like a bird that had learned to mimic human speech. "Yeah! I won't do nothing for free. I expect to be fairly compensated for my help!" The creature's mane bobs and ruffles as it speaks, and it seems to have forgotten to introduce itself.
    'I wouldn't dream of it. But perhaps you should start by telling me who you are and how you know Shadow?'

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Before the Ogre can reply, Shadow actually speaks up. "Errol is actually quiet adept at surviving and fighting in The Hedge. That is why I sought him out," he says proudly.

The dragon-man nods his head in approval of this and says, "This is true," his voice rather matter-of-fact. The pride drains slightly from the man's voice as he adds, "I... uh, actually prefer being in the Hedge."

"You and I are not the same," Annie replies flatly, her arms still crossed. But she tilts her chin down slightly and she says in hushed voice, "But I shall help you navigate the hedge and find this girl... if you agree to assist me when I ask you in traversing the hedge, no questions asked." She raises an eyebrow in challenge to Laura.

The hobgoblin scuttles back at Laura's words. "I... I am Snoot!" the thing cries out, it's voice reaching an even higher pitch, "I have helped Shadow several times on his expeditions into the Hedge. I am good at finding things!"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura smiled at Errol to reasure him. 'Well, anyone that Shadow can vouch for is alright by me.' The one thing about the Hedge was that it was easier to stay away from people who might misunderstand or even fear you. Laura wondered if it was like that for him but doesn't want to ask outright about something that might be painful.

In replying to Annie she didn't even have to hesitate, 'Done. In return for you helping me find Sarah I'll help you with no questions asked.' She couldn't help but grin slightly as Annie was apparently expecting her to haggle. 'Do you want to shake on it?'

To the Hobgoblin, 'Hey Snoot. What sort of things are you good at finding?'

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The dragon grins at Laura's words and gives her a a clumsy attempt at a regal bow. "I am at your service," Errol says with a voice like crunching boulders.

Annie extends her hand at the offer and says, "Very well, a deal is a deal." She keeps her eyes fixed on Laura's as they shake.

Snoot shrugs its awkward shoulders at the question. "Well," the hob stutters, "maybe finding wasn't the right word... I am good at getting into and out of places. Let's say there isn't a lock I can't pick, nor a wall that could hold me." It's lips pull back in a Cheshire like grin, pulling up under it's bulbous nose.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Broad smile at Errol after the bow. 'Thankyou Errol.'

Laura only watches Annie and wonders how much wiggle room she might have over the asking questions part. 'You realise I might have helped you anyway if you needed it.' Perhaps she would regret this, but on the other hand she was absolutely sure that Annie would be someone that it'd be useful to have with her.

To Snoot, 'Then you're someone that'll be useful to have around. What exactly do you need in payment? Or is that for me to work out?'

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arising from his bow, Errol gives a curt nod of his head acknowledging Laura's courtesy.

Annie's eyes narrow slightly at the question, and she opens her mouth for just a moment to reply, before thinking better of it. Pursing her lips, she simply shrugs.

Still grinning, Snoot replies, "I shall help you, if you promise to let me stay at your Hollow for seven days, when I need it." It answers quickly, clearly having thought of its demands in advance. The goblin's eyes go wide with excitement and greed.

Watching Laura for her reaction, Errol speaks up, "Perhaps if you agree, it would be wise to make an Oath to each other to accomplish this task. That way the Wyrd will be in our favor when we venture into The Hedge."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

To Snoot, 'You need a place to live Snoot? My Hollow isn't much to look at but you're welcome to stay awhile.' Laura wondered what he could get from living at her Hollow that he couldn't get from living out in the woods. Perhaps it was safer. 'You got a specific time in mind when you'll need to stay?'

Laura will consider Errol's request. 'Meaning we all trust each other? Sure. If everyone else is ok with that.'

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Snoot shrugs, the grin fading slightly from its odd face. "Eh, I don't exactly need a home. But ya never know when you are going to need a safe and secret place to stay," the hobgoblin replies. Something about Snoot's answer implied that there was a story to its need, and that the hobgoblin maybe wasn't exactly going to be forthcoming about that story.

(OOC: See 212-213 on Oaths. I would consider this a "societal oath" and there would likely be several mechanical benefits to this. Will hold off on having Errol answer this as Laura would likely know this.)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

To Snoot, 'Then I don't see why not.' Laura realised that she might come to regret that but if Snoot came through for her on their expedition she could live with it.

She'll look towards Snoot and Annie to see if they were willing. 'Howabout it? You want to make this official?'

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The hobgoblin extends an oversized four fingered hand to shake and says, "Then it's a deal."

When Laura moves the question to the others, the hobgoblin chuckles and says, "Well it can't hurt," with an exaggerated shrug. Annie nods her head and says, "I suppose it makes the most sense."

(OOC: As the only PC, I'll let you choose the benefit of the Oath from the list)
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will shake Snoot's hand. To the whole group, 'So...in exchange for all I've just agreed to, we all agree to support each other in the Hedge in all things until we return.' She had never had to swear an oath that seemed to have so much at steak. 'I'd rather play fair here ...' Laura said thinking of Annie and the views she had just expressed. 'Would anyone prefer something that isn't quite so open ended?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Taking the benefit about using the highest social skill

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Errol steps forward. Grinning, he says with his grinding stones voice, "That is just fine." He reaches out and clasps Laura's hand in both of his massive claws, and kneels. "I pledge myself to this task, and to this group," he says, before placing his snout over Laura's hand in an attempted gentle kiss, like some fairy tail prince before his queen.

Annie watches this with disdain, and instead reaches out a hand to shake Laura's and says, "Yeah, I'm in. I pledge myself as well to this task and to this group." She speaks the words quickly, her face empty of expression.

Snoot, perhaps trying to follow the lead of the other two, goes halfway. The hobgoblin bends to one knee, clasps Laura's hands with both of its, then vigorously pumps it up and down. "Me too," Snoot exclaims, "I pledge myself to this task and to this group!"

(OOC: I am subtracting the necessary point of glamour from Laura, bringing her down to 9 to make the Oath. I have updated the OOC thread, and posted a question to you in the thread)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura smiles at Errol as she accepts his fealty. 'Errol, I feel like you might have done something like this before.' If the Ogre was somehow being less then honest here he hid it well.

Annie's attitude was to be expected but Laura didn't need her to be enthusiastic as long as both of them could uphold the terms of the oath. She'll take Snoot's reaction with good grace.

To the whole group, 'Do any of you need to do anything to prepare? Frankly I'd like to leave as soon as possible.'

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Errol blushes at the sentiment and shakes his head. "Nothing more than when I pledged to my Court," he replies, his head down, scaly cheeks seeming to blush.

Annie is the first to reply to the group question. Sharply she says, "Well do we have a plan yet? Or a lead? Shadow only told us the basics of what we are doing." She looks to Snoot and then to Errol, adding, "It will probably be easier to prepare if we know exactly where we are going and what we plan to do!" The other two look to Laura expectantly, earnest curiosity written on their faces.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Errol blushes at the sentiment and shakes his head. "Nothing more than when I pledged to my Court," he replies, his head down, scaly cheeks seeming to blush.

Annie is the first to reply to the group question. Sharply she says, "Well do we have a plan yet? Or a lead? Shadow only told us the basics of what we are doing." She looks to Snoot and then to Errol, adding, "It will probably be easier to prepare if we know exactly where we are going and what we plan to do!" The other two look to Laura expectantly, earnest curiosity written on their faces.
    'I don't know if this is something we can plan for but I've got a lead.' Laura will explain about being approached by Giant about his sister's disappearance. 'We found her clothes on the edge of the Thorns with a trail leading further in. Giant thinks it was the same one that took him. He called it the Bristle Crowned Gardener if the name means anything to anyone. Which either means it took Giant's escape personally or it was a hell of a coincidence.'