New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick: November II

the whole party is bickering ceaselessly, i hope that when they leave, haley will pull her skip over uninteresting time periods trick again and they will arive at Miko's masters place within the week.

found in somebody elses sig&&&&\"love is a powerful force, especially when focused into a coherent beam of destruction\"&&&&feels like no one is teling him about the fued or he war or the hat.&&&&Birds and the flying, stinging insects of PAIN!!!!&&&&Toothpicks of Lightning, &&

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok
    Five GP says that Miko starts crying now.
    I'm with you on that one.

Especially since I think that the 5th-last panel is the ONLY time I've seen Miko crack a SMILE! She actually seemed like a half-happy person in that panel, so she might actually have been receptive, then being taken down by Roy like that... could be crushing.

Still, she DID deserve it. There's a difference between "Good" and "Overly Preachy", and Miko definitely fell into the second category. Doesn't matter if she's right, she's STILL overly-preachy. She could have even said the same thing at the same time, but in a different WAY, more like "Look at that owner. Now he's crushed. His business is gone..." etc, etc, etc.

As for what Haley said, I'm guessing the word that rhymes with "aunt".

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duraska
    Just who are the good guys in this comic? I can only count Miko and Elan. Everyone else is rude, greedy and self-centered.
    I'm actually glad.

I'm in the pro-Miko camp. I think this actually hands her an advantage... or rather, takes an advantage away from the Order.

Roy has now visibly sided with his friends, as well as exposed the depth of loathing which has been running through the entire group towards Miko, as well as the motivation for it. Miko can now act according to the truth of the situation, rather than being completely clueless.

If it had been me, I'd probably continued to act civil, perhaps even solicitous, till the opportunity came to knife her in the back, between those nice shiny plates of armour.

... Hey, I said I liked her, not that I'm gonna a) throw practicality out the window or b) freakin submit to or give opportunity for anyone, anyone, to put me or my friends in chains.

Which, if I were Miko, I would almost certainly do... since I as Miko would not think of attempting to solicit the Order's goodwill, or that I'd even be able to pull it off given Miko's pride and near-complete absence of social graces.

I like truths to be known, though. And, as I said, I think this will work out in her favor anyway.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love Roy. That was worth the whole inconvience of having Miko around. ;D
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Think this shock will be enough to get Haley talking again?
    "I'll make you party at my funeral
    'Cause mourning is for suckers.
    I'll rent a ferris wheel and
    cotton candy machine and have open bar
    with all the Pabst that you can drink
    the PA blasting my Clash records.
    You'll finally know that life's okay
    Even when bad things happen"
    Stand There Until You're Sober,
    Bomb the Music Industry!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm.

Great, I get all excited because Miko finally smiles, and then something like this happens.

Meh. Whatever. Roy's not good enough for her anyway. In both senses of the word (he's not worthy and he's not good-aligned enough).
    R.I.P.&&Mitch Hedberg&&February 24, 1968 - March 30 2005&&\"Fruit on the bottom, hope on top...\"&&&&http://www.freewebs.com/seanmike Divided Gateway Characters! We make characters, simple as that. &&&&The official Miko Miyazaki fanboy!&&&&Half-celestial goblin avatar by Veera! Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Pixie in the Playground

now Miko might remember that she swore that "her blades would be bathed in the blood of those responsible" for destroying the gate
    ,http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=120
    found in somebody elses sig&&&&\"love is a powerful force, especially when focused into a coherent beam of destruction\"&&&&feels like no one is teling him about the fued or he war or the hat.&&&&Birds and the flying, stinging insects of PAIN!!!!&&&&Toothpicks of Lightning, &&

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

Just when you think Roy's getting to be too much of a punching bag...POW! Right in the uptight, bossy, arrogant kisser. I've been a Belkar fan since I started reading OotS, but Roy just earned a ton of points with me. Bwa ha ha!

NASCRAG Judge in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

pirate-man founder me love thog!

Sneak. A. Tar.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm not happy with Roy, for throwing Miko's gesture of friendship back in her face. Miko's reaction to Roy's apology strongly suggests to me that she was aware that Roy has been trying to start up a romantic relationship with her since they meant. Apparently, she wasn't just being naive when she failed to respond. Rather, she was politely ignoring his feeble attempts to do, because the alternative was to tell him he was acting like an idiot, and that he should shut up. And now, when for the first time she's let down her defences, Roy metaphorically kicks her in the teeth.
    Most of the people who post here think Miko should have treated Roy and the others with a lot more respect than she has all along. But my opinion is somewhat different. Roy and the other members of the Order are the heroes of this comic. It's natural for the readers of the strip to like them, and to dislike someone like Miko, who thinks they may be a gang of dangerous criminals, rather than a wonderful group of heroes. I think the reason I'm more symathetic to Miko than many of you is because I think the fact that the Order of the Stick seems to have "damaged the structure of Reality" by destroying that magic portal may turn out to be a very serious plot twist. Just because we all think Elan is a lovable character does not change the fact that he may very well have done something vitally important and horribly destructive, by pushing that button. Rich has a plotline in mind for his world, and it may well be that by pushing that button, Elan started a chain of actions that will lead to the total destruction of the world that the Order of the Stick inhabits. If it turns out that destroying the portal is a disaster, will you still think Miko's somewhat negative reaction towards the Order was unreasonable?

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Zycopath

I don't really see the problem.
    They're rude because Miko is pushing them around and forcing her own ethics code upon them.
    Where exactly has Miko "forced" her own ethics code upon them?! She's arresting them under orders from her Lord. She has often *suggested* that they do things to fit her code of ethics, but in the end, the Order of the Stick have always gotten their way.

They wanted to help the dirt farmer... Miko agreed.

They wanted to sleep in the inn... Miko voiced opposition, but ultimately agreed (and was planning on paying for all of their opulence).

So far all I see is Miko trying to guide them along the right path, only for them to totally ridicule her and insist on their own way (which she always ends up allowing).

They're greedy because... well, who wouldn't be pissed if they'd lost a fortune?
    They lost a fortune due to their own actions. Miko is blameless. If the group hadn't insisted on staying at the inn, and if Roy hadn't insisted on pretending to be a King, they'd still be filthy-rich.

And self-centered? Being a little self-centered is being human and since they usually try to help people out (like trying to get people out of the inn) I can't say that they are more self-centered then your avarage Joe.
    This, after you completely lambasted Miko for "forcing her code of ethics upon them" (i.e. being "a little self-centered" in your words).

I wish all "Anti-Miko" people would remember this when they go overboard claiming Miko is "totally self-centered."

Apparently there's a double-standard. If you're Miko and you carry out your duty, you're an evil, self-centered witch. If you're Roy and Co, you can do anything you want, from taking part in the deaths of good sigil guardians, to destroying a magical world gate thus upsetting the balance of the entire plane, to lying about being a King and getting an inn completely blown-up.

If anything, most of them are less self-centered.
    ...okay...?

Please note that none of the above applies to Belkar. But has a reason for being how he is. He's evil ;D
    ...And the mere fact that Roy allows Belkar on such a long leash is totally inexcusable. ...but that's a completely different argument.

I see no reason for Roy (and Co.) to be so hostile towards Miko. The only thing she's really done to them is arrest them (for a crime they DID do). *They're* the ones who have been going out of their way to make the recent adventure completely miserable.

11. - Top - End - #341
    DeathQuaker
    Guest in the Playground

That... that was just beautiful. *wipes tear from eye*

Miko is right, of course.

Roy is also right, of course. :)

I think both Miko and Roy and the Order have learned a few lessons. One would hope, anyway.

I'm excited to see what the next plot arc will be. Agh! Wednesday is too far away.... :)

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's good to see the real King of Somewhere survived the ordeal...
    <link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/funnysig.txt" />

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Leveller
    Now the only thing that's missing is for Kels umm I mean Belkar to point and shout &quot;BURN&quot; at Miko. ;D

It'd be sooo funny if Miko started speaking like Haley now ;D
    Nice job, now it won't happen. ;)
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

14. - Top - End - #344

GnomeWizardGuy

Doshi has a point. Think of it from the perspective of a HORRID crime IRL: Rape. What if you were the marshal that just arrested a gang of rapists. You don't know their guilt or innocence, except for an iron-clad piece of evidence which said &quot;they&quot; did it. I'd think no matter HOW &quot;good&quot; you were, you'd not be exactly &quot;nice&quot; to them.

Now put that to Miko. Perhaps she considers destroying the gate as pretty much the same severity. And she has iron-clad evidence that they did it (the diviners are never wrong). Now wouldn't you be pretty short with them?

Not to forgive her attitude completely (especially since she knows all but Belkar are Good), but still, it DOES explain her attitude a bit.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Fairy Modmother:Hey guys, starting on Monday, or with the next comic, we're getting rid of the monthly comic thread concept.

We're going to be doing one thread per strip with the thread number in the title. It'll save some of the clutter, and be less intimidating than a 40 page monthly thread.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Duraska

Where exactly has Miko &quot;forced&quot; her own ethics code upon them?! She's arresting them under orders from her Lord. She has often *suggested* that they do things to fit her code of ethics, but in the end, the Order of the Stick have always gotten their way.

They wanted to help the dirt farmer... Miko agreed.

They wanted to sleep in the inn... Miko voiced opposition, but ultimately agreed (and was planning on paying for all of their opulence).

So far all I see is Miko trying to guide them along the right path, only for them to totally ridicule her and insist on their own way (which she always ends up allowing).

They lost a fortune due to their own actions. Miko is blameless. If the group hadn't insisted on staying at the inn, and if Roy hadn't insisted on pretending to be a King, they'd still be filthy-rich.

This, after you completely lambasted Miko for &quot;forcing her code of ethics upon them&quot; (i.e. being &quot;a little self-centered&quot; in your words).

I wish all &quot;Anti-Miko&quot; people would remember this when they go overboard claiming Miko is &quot;totally self-centered.&quot;

Apparently there's a double-standard. If you're Miko and you carry out your duty, you're an evil, self-centered witch. If you're Roy and Co, you can do anything you want, from taking part in the deaths of good sigil guardians, to destroying a magical world gate thus upsetting the balance of the entire plane, to lying about being a King and getting an inn completely blown-up.

...okay...?

...And the mere fact that Roy allows Belkar on such a long leash is totally inexcusable. ...but that's a completely different argument.

I see no reason for Roy (and Co.) to be so hostile towards Miko. The only thing she's really done to them is arrest them (for a crime they DID do). *They're* the ones who have been going out of their way to make the recent adventure completely miserable.

Dude I think you might be taking this a bit too serious. I mean, we all love the OotS gang, and then Miko comes and bosses them around, of course a lot of us are going to think she is annoying ;D and it's just a comic, I don't really feel strongly about it one way or another even though I love it

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker
    That... that was just beautiful. *wipes tear from eye*

Miko is right, of course.

Roy is also right, of course. :)

I think both Miko and Roy and the Order have learned a few lessons. One would hope, anyway.
    [Stan]...because I've learned something today. No matter how good a person you are, that's still no reason to be an unreasoning bitch. Unless you're telling someone else she's an unreasoning bitch. Or something.[/Stan]
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama
    [Stan]...because I've learned something today. No matter how good a person you are, that's still no reason to be an unreasoning bitch. Unless you're telling someone else she's an unreasoning bitch. Or something.[/Stan]
    [kyle] Dude, I'm confused! [/Kyles]

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol
    Especially since I think that the 5th-last panel is the ONLY time I've seen Miko crack a SMILE!
    Not true; she also smiled in one panel of #215. ;)

20. - Top - End - #350

The looks on Haley's face say enough in this one :) who needs common?

As for the characters all being mean people, well thank goodness they all have a mean streak in them or the comic would be boring as hell. Elan doesnt, but thats only cause he causes enough grief with his good nature!

Smart arse remarks are the bread and butter of a sitcom, relax and enjoy the story.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Banned

So now Roy's a jerk.
    Meh. Whatever. Roy's not good enough for her anyway. In both senses of the word (he's not worthy and he's not good-aligned enough).
    I'm not happy with Roy, for throwing Miko's gesture of friendship back in her face.
    I wish all &quot;Anti-Miko&quot; people would remember this when they go overboard claiming Miko is &quot;totally self-centered.&quot;
    Yeah? Xdfw on ya 8)

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderhund
    Well, anyone who smites a bunch of deserving ogres in under 10 seconds HAS to smile afterwards.

Anyways, I hope Miko doesn't take it to hard.
    An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dante's Inferno Test has sent you to
    Purgatory!
    Take the test: http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv

23. - Top - End - #353

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderhund
    True, though that's a more &quot;that was cool/clever of me&quot; smile. This seemed to be the only &quot;happy&quot; smile she has had.

Though you're right that she has smiled before.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

That was amazing.

Go Roy!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

(I do have to admit, the last scene with Haley hugging Roy is too cute).

&lt;-- goes back to his tireless pro-Miko propaganda.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

For me, the issue I have with Miko is her proselytizing. No one, including the OOTS gang, likes to hear someone rant on and on with &quot;I told you so's&quot;. Especially if you KNOW you've screwed up big time. Also, no one likes to hear someone say the gods have put a punishment on them for their behavior, even if it seems to be true. Especially if you don't believe the gods work that way.

If someone had been ragging on me about how I screwed up, and then tried to be nice to me, I'd be inclined to tell them to take a hike, too. It wouldn't matter if they were right in their accusations, I would still resent being told off, and would rebuff any overtures of friendship until my hurt/shame/embarrassment subsided. And for me, that could take a while. I'm afraid I hold a grudge way too long.
    "How do you know I'm not Sam Beckett?"

27. - Top - End - #357
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol
    (especially since she knows all but Belkar are Good),
    Actually, no. She knows all but Belkar are Not Evil. There is a difference. And what has she seen? That Haley is obsessed with wealth, that Vaarsuvius considers helping others a waste of his/her time and effort, that Roy thinks every female warrior's first name is &quot;baby,&quot; and that Elan could drive a saint crazy. She has every reason to guess they're mostly Neutral (except for Durkon, who she gets along famously with, and possibly Elan, who is rather obviously devoid of malice or self-interest).

28. - Top - End - #358

I loved Haley's shocked look as Roy told Miko to shove it.

Classic!
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359

Heh, I'm just waiting for someone to go on a rant because a man called a woman the b word.

That said, in hindsight, that did seem like a kick in the teeth to Miko, even though she'd probably be the type comfortable in a certain mid 20th century evil dictatorship which shall remain nameless. Remember, &quot;I was only following orders&quot; is never an excuse.

(And yes, despite all that, I am not anti-Miko in the least. I'm just honest about her failings.)
    \"All that I have ever loved in life has been lost to me forever. Never again shall I give into the delusion of love, for all that I love is anathema. All that remains of me is an image of a young girl not yet lost, for the power of Velsharoon is the power of eternal youth.\" &&&&- Kadislan the White

30. - Top - End - #360

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadi
    That said, in hindsight, that did seem like a kick in the teeth to Miko, even though she'd probably be the type comfortable in a certain mid 20th century evil dictatorship which shall remain nameless. Remember, &quot;I was only following orders&quot; is never an excuse.

(And yes, despite all that, I am not anti-Miko in the least. I'm just honest about her failings.)
    Lawful GOOD not Lawful Neutral or Evil. Good would never stand for THAT. Calling her a Nazi is pretty extreme.