New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Giantslayer: The Hill Giant's Pledge [IC]

Aasgar eyes the lily pads with distrust... He looks at his gear carefully and then takes off the two daggers, the morning star, and looks at the others. "Would someone with less of a weight challenge be willing to carry these across once we've dealt with the beastie?"
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

Galakhar says, "Just leave them on the side there. I am sure this isn't a carnival attraction with a different exit than we entered."

The elf nods. "Yes, once we have expunged the infestation of fey, we will likely return this way."
    18MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea (2013, Bauer, Bonner, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods and deposits the aforementioned items in a neat stack by the wall before drawing his axe and heading back in to the room. ”Okay. How do we want to do this?”

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #574

Abenor speaks up, "Okay, here's what I recommend. You know I have great balance. I'll play leapfrog lily pad across to the center. Meanwhile, Phaevin - you seem to be a good shot - I need you to watch out for this dragonfly with a bow out and ready. I'll be there to take the initial attack in the meantime.

"Cici, you hop across fully - unless it looks like this thing might overpower me. But head across and create a beachhead on the other side. Galakhar follow. Ivilva, if you're willing to come, you come next.

"Aasgar, you and Phaevin then both bring up the rear and if that thing is about, I'll help out with sword or bow. We're getting rid of the fey, so avoidance isn't the name of the game.

"Does that sound good to you?"
    18MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea (2013, Bauer, Bonner, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods his agreement.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pheavin shakes his head vigorously as if trying to clean out cobwebs. "Forgive me, I seem to have gotten lost in thought."

Noding to Abenor whilst readying his bow, he says, "Aye, watch for the dragonfly and clip it's wings. Understood."

He whispers aside to Aasgar, "I think I might be a little over 200 pounds... think I should tell her?"
    Aragorn: You have my sword...
    Legolas: And you have my bow...
    Gimli: And my axe...
    Phaevin: I swear! I just found this stuff lying around!

7. - Top - End - #577

Cici is annoyed by the whisper. "You are a solidly built man, Phaevin, and you are well-provisioned. I would do as Aasgar does, and divest yourself of anything that might take you over that 200-pound limit."

Phaevin, what do you do?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pheavin gives out a defeated breath. He removes his backpack and places it next to the dwarf's things. The bag on his belt, the pouch with his prized compass, and his lyre soon join the stack.

Finally, saying "I have a bad feeling about this", he removes his chain shirt and hat.

"I hope that's enough," he says to Cici with a worried look. "I'm not really sure what any of this stuff weighs."

9. - Top - End - #579

With Phaevin prepped on the bow, Abenor then divests himself of his own backpack as it is full of gear, though he takes two vials out of his backpack and puts them at his belt.

Abenor practically dances out onto the first lily pad, bounces forward, and then sails out to another lily pad immediately after that. As soon as he does that, a swarm of bloated flies rises from the floor and fills the chamber in a thick blanket of buzzing insects.

Begin Round One ...

R1T22: Galakhar keeps Abenor and as much of the room as possible limned in the glow from the ghost light lantern.

R1T20: Abenor, working from inertia, continues to the second-to-last lily pad, moving to the center and then keeping watch.

R1T19: Phaevin, see the plan (Post #574). What do you do?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin keeps his bow at the ready waiting for everyone else to cross.

Spoiler: Tech Info
    Show

SA: Ready Attack Action with Shortbow if an enemy appears, or move if everyone else has left the ledge.

11. - Top - End - #581

R1T19: Phaevin keeps his bow at the ready waiting for everyone else to cross.

R1T16: Ivilva delays ...

R1T15: With Lucette in her hood holding on for dear life, Cici jumps across to the first lily pad, rolls forward, and takes out her waveknife.

R1T14: Lucette delays ....

R1T12: Cici's lily pad seems a little unsettled on the western side, which seems strange until the ghostlight lantern outlines with faerie fire a man-sized dragonfly that was invisible, just like those lurkers in light were. Though Cici seems bothered by the flies, Phaevin is able to ignore them for now and shoots, his arrow striking the brilliant blue dragonfly in the head for only 1 mod + 1 fire.

R1T12: The dragonfly's attention focuses on the group standing on the balcony and it makes a strange sort of dragonfly zigzag dance and green sparkles erupt from it to the platform where Phaevin, Aasgar, Galakhar, and Ivilva are. None of these heroes are entangled (currently), but it is now difficult terrain and the actively writhing grasses, vines, and roots threaten to grab them in the near future and make movement very difficult.

R1T11: Aasgar, roll a Fort save for the beginning of your turn to ignore those pesky flies. What do you do? Then, roll a Ref save for the end of your turn just in case you are still in the entangling effect (which is the entire southern platform, stairs, and northern platform above right up to the doors.

Galakhar on deck, Abenor in the hole ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar adjusts his footing and chooses to hold his ground where he is to ensure the thing doesn't try to get out of the room while drawing forth a flask from his bandolier.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show
    Fortitude Save: (1d20+15)[17]

SwA: Enter Golden Commander Stance

Draw flask of Alchemists Fire from bandolier

Reflex Save: (1d20+10)[27]

13. - Top - End - #583

R1T11: Aasgar adjusts his footing and chooses to hold his ground where he is to ensure the thing doesn't try to get out of the room while drawing forth a flask from his bandolier. He does a great job of both not letting the flies bother him while picking up and stomping dramatically to keep from getting entangled.
    Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Red Zephyr's Strike

R1T10: Phaevin shoots and misses.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T22:
    "I hope that's not for the flies, Aasgar," says Galakhar, guessing the contents of the flask. "The flies don't have enough mass by themselves to impact and break the flask, and there aren't many solid structures to break it against, and it wouldn't do much against this many."

His rapier is already in hand and he gets into fighting stance, likewise avoiding flies and plants from overcoming him.

R2T20: Abenor takes out his bow as he repositions and shoots, missing.

R2T16: Ivilva casts a spell at the ultramarine chaser as she takes out a green plant and splits the leaves in her hand, the yellow-amber poison disappearing and infusing into the spell. The dragonfly then begins to look like it has a lot of pus-filled blisters forming on its body. She keeps herself from begin entangled.

R2T15: Cici takes a breath and is not bothered by the flies right now. She then stares at the dragonfly ... and succeeds! The thing falls asleep mid-air and falls to the darkness below. "Hurry! I doubt a fall into a compost pit killed it, and the pain it feels on impact will wake it right up. Everyone across!"

So as not to gunk up the works herself, Cici starts moving east and north.

R2T11: Aasgar, roll a Fort and a Ref save. What do you do?

Phaevin on deck, Galakhar in the hole ...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar does his best to cross quickly and carefully.

Show
    Fort Save: (1d20+15)[23]

Reflex is a lonely child, who’s waiting by the park… The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark…

(1d20+10)[13]
    Full Move action north as far as he can go.

Last edited by BuckGodot; 2023-12-24 at 08:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #585

R2T11: It's not great, but Aasgar just barely makes it across to the first lily pad. Which is when the whole lily pad folds and plummets from the more than 300 pounds placed on it. It doesn't even drop slowly, but Aasgar sinks out of sight all the way to the bottom. The compost pile helps to soften the blow a little bit, but not much 2 mod + (28 DDP). Luckily, Aasgar knew to face his back to the ground and hold the alchemist's fire up so it wouldn't explode on impact. He is knocked out of stance.
    Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Scything Strike.

R2T10: Phaevin, not only did Aasgar disappear from view, but he took that first lily pad with him! What do you do? Roll a Fort save and a Ref save.

Galakhar on deck, Abenor in the hole ...
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586

R2T10: This time, Phaevin is bothered by the flies all about him and partially distracted. He calls down into the hole. "Aasgar, are you okay? If you are okay, roll off of the lily pad so others can use it!"

He continues to skillfully high step like Aasgar did to keep the vegetation from ensnaring him.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T22:
    Galakhar fights off the flies, but otherwise delays, keeping himself from being ensnared.

R3T20: Abenor delays ...

R3T16: Ivilva delays ...

R3T15: Cici continues, getting onto the stairs just above the far platform.

R3T12: Aasgar, the dragonfly zooms into view as it charges you! It bites the dwarf in the upper left arm for 9 mod + grab!

R3T11: Aasgar, you are currently being grappled by the big blue dragonfly (and prone). What do you do?

Phaevin on deck, Cici in the hole ...
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar tries to break free of the hold and stand up, shouting "Bruised but grappling with the bug!"

Show
    SA: Break free of grapple (1d20+10)[30]

MA: Stand

18. - Top - End - #588

R3T11: Aasgar breaks free of the hold and stands up even as it tries to nip at him and shouts, "Bruised, but grappling with the bug!"

The injuries from the fall begin to show (28), but he gains his final inspiration (warning roar).

R3T10: Phaevin, you manage to shake off the flies for this round. What do you do?

Cici on deck, Bogey in the hole ...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoping to get a better view of Aasgar, Pheavin moves to the edge of the balcony closest to the second lily pad and attempts to leap the gap.

Spoiler: Tech info
    Show

MA: East 10', then leap 10' North to the Lily Pad
    SA: Delay until he has a clear shot at the dragonfly.

20. - Top - End - #590

R3T10: Hoping to get a better view of Aasgar, Phaevin moves to the edge of the balcony closest to the second lily pad and attempts to leap the gap. But he doesn't make it. In fact, he doesn't really leap. He trips over the grasping vegetation and falls into the darkness below, landing in a disgusting pile of what must be rotting vegetation and takes 25 lethal + 5 NL. There is all sort of frenetic movement next to him in the darkness. I mean RIGHT next to him, but his half elven vision doesn't help him so far from a light source.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T22:
    Galakhar fends off the flies and deliberately moves the opposite way Phaevin went, but instead of jumping for a lily pad he deliberately jumps DOWN, taking 22 mod + 1 mod NL on impact, and immediately getting up on his feet. Now, however, the lantern is turned to light up the ultramarine chaser currently grappling a prone Aasgar. He gets back into his fighting stance.

R4T16: Ivilva now moves to the edge, and mixes up some natural chemicals in little bark vials and throws one down. Despite being nearly a hundred feet above, the little bark vial impacts the dragonfly solidly and it takes 12 fire. Aasgar sees the flash and rolls to minimize but still feels the heat, while again protecting the vial of alchemist's fire in his hand (4 fire DDP).

R4T12: The ultramarine chaser just barely manages to keep its hold on Aasgar, biting him (13 mod DDP).

R4T11: Aasgar, you prone, grabbed by this thing (which is now lit up by the lantern), and have one hand holding alchemist's fire. What do you do?

Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar lets loose with a bellow of encouragement and since the thing has hold of him, he reaches out and touches it with his hand.

Show
    SwA: Encouraging Roar: Allies w/in 30' +2 morale attk/ dmg

Use Gauntlets of Disruption

Melee touch attack: (1d20+13)[20]
    Boost with 2 E

Damage: (3d3)[7]

Reminders:

Patient Counterpoint (Ex): During his turn, he gains a +4 [WIS] insight bonus to damage rolls whenever his DDP has points in it.
    All allies w/in 60' of him gain a +5' enhancement bonus to their base land speed.

22. - Top - End - #592

R4T11: Aasgar lets loose with a bellow of encouragement and since the thing has hold of him, he reaches out and touches it with his hand. Phaevin sees that spectral, dark gauntlets form over the ones Aasgar has with his armor. He touches the thing and it dark energy lashes forward in addition to Aasgar's own wounded anger to strike the thing for 13 disruption.

R4T10: Phaevin, you are prone with bow in hand. Galakhar is lighting up the enemy now with the lantern. It was never a "clear shot" because it is in a grapple, and so you never got your readied action off. With the bug focused on Aasgar, you could shoot it at point-blank range and you wouldn't provoke an AOO. What do you do?

Galakhar on deck, Ivilva in the hole...
    Show

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What an incredible smell you have discovered!" Phaevin says to Aasgar as he stands up and tries to get his footing in the muck. "Now let us see what we can do with this beastie."

He takes aim at the bug and fires and arrow point blank.

Show

MA: Stand up
    SA: Attack bug: ATK:(1d20+10)[20] DAM:(1d8+1)[2] + (1d6)[2] fire
    Last edited by Admyral; 2024-01-05 at 10:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #594

R4T10: "What an incredible smell you have discovered!" Phaevin says to Aasgar as he stands up and tries to get his footing in the muck. "Now let us see what we can do with this beastie."

He takes aim at the bug and fires an arrow point blank right at it. The arrow itself shatters against its chitin, but it still takes 2 fire.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T22:
    Galakhar stumbles through the muck of the compost to get to reposition to then get the lamp to illuminate the bug, Aasgar, and Phaevin. He gets into his preferred stance and then makes a special strike that does 19 mod.

R5T16: Ivilva delays ...

R5T12: Though badly wounded, the bug is too hungry for warm-blooded prey. It maintains its hold on Aasgar and tears into him terribly for 4 mod (+ 11 DDP).

R5T11: Aasgar, what do you do?

Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-01-05 at 01:02 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar struggles to free himself from the creature while once again attempting to damage it.

Show

SwA: Defending the Pride: Grant all allies w/in 60' a +4 morale bonus to AC for 1 rd.

SA: Break free from hold

Attack: Using Gauntlets of Disruption with 2E boost
    Touch Attack: (1d20+13)[23]

Damage: (3d3)[7]

Reminders:

Patient Counterpoint (Ex): During his turn, he gains a +4 [WIS] insight bonus to damage rolls whenever his DDP has points in it.
    All allies w/in 60' of him gain a +5' enhancement bonus to their base land speed.

26. - Top - End - #596

R5T11: Aasgar struggles to free himself from the creature, and in failing, finds he is out of position at this second to make an attack as well. He now feels the wounds from last round (17).

R5T10: Phaevin, what do you do?

Galakhar on deck, dragonfly in the hole ...
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pheavin will move as slowly as possible to try and get into the creature's flank while it concerns itself with Aasgar. He quietly notches an arrow and fires again at point blank range.

Show

MA: North 10'
    SA: Sneak Attack bug with Shortbow PBS: ATK:(1d20+10)[16] DAM:(1d8+1)[7] + (1d6)[1] fire + (3d6)[5] sneak attack

28. - Top - End - #598

R5T10: Pheavin wants to get into the creature's flank, but Galakhar has the only spot possible. Which is fine, technically, as Phaevin can't take advantage of a flank with ranged combat. He quietly moves north in the squishy and difficult steps of the compost, notches an arrow, and fires again at point blank range, but his arrow bounces off of its chitin.

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

R6T22:
    Galakhar takes a second to study the dragonfly, and then strikes. It was only because of his careful study that his rapier finds a spot between chitinous plates and he twists his rapier as it enters the creature's thorax, killing it outright.

A few seconds later, the last of Aasgar's wounds (11) catch up to him.

Combat Ends!

"Aasgar, I know you're feeling poor," says Galakhar. "But roll off of the lily pad for Ivilva to use. We'll trudge through the compost to the north and give her a chance to cross the lily pads above. We'll figure out how to get you up once we get there."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar groans in response and literally rolls off the lily pad before climbing to his feet.

30. - Top - End - #600

As soon as Aasgar gets off of the lily pad it immediately begins to float back above.

Phaevin, do you try to get onto the lily pad for it to take you upwards, or do you stay down in the compost pit with no immediate way out?
    Show