New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith: Assault on the Town of Ash (OoC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Criminal record? Well let’s see, she’s got multiple counts of assault and battery with a Pokémon, at least one of attempted murder, several counts of theft, one of arson…

…oh wait you meant before the game started. Never mind.
    Look, being at war changes things as far as beating people up, and Misty deserved a bit of light life-threatening throttling, so who can really judge her for that? Certainly not Mark!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Criminal record? Well let’s see, she’s got multiple counts of assault and battery with a Pokémon, at least one of attempted murder, several counts of theft, one of arson…

…oh wait you meant before the game started. Never mind.
    You know, I think you could make a solid argument that Less has done all those things as well.

Also, sorry for the short posts the last few days. I've been on the road and posting on my phone when I got a chance. That'll be happening again in a few weeks, because I'm getting married on September 17th! And then I'll be one my honeymoon for about a week after that.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Dawwwwwwwwwww, congrats! Might I offer you a chompy fish as a wedding gift?

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Also, sorry for the short posts the last few days. I've been on the road and posting on my phone when I got a chance. That'll be happening again in a few weeks, because I'm getting married on September 17th! And then I'll be one my honeymoon for about a week after that.
    😄 Congrats!!! I hope everything goes well!

I’ll have relatives visiting around that time so odds are you won’t even be missing much game-wise. 😉
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You know, I think you could make a solid argument that Less has done all those things as well.

Congratulations!!
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys! I'm pretty pumped!

Sorry I couldn't take your fish!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I couldn't take your fish!
    Alas. We'll have to marry off EssCee or Feathersnow to give one of them the wedding fish.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Congrats, Ruby, absolutely wonderful news!!!

Hah, by the time I'd get the fish, it'd have long since become super strong... patience'll pay off!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know... I never thought I' end up making a backstory for Mark's father, yet here I am. Knowing that:
    • He was an electrical engineer with a minor in mineral sciences (so he made better batteries, circuitry and stuff)
    • That Captain Max was his buddy from the military (Drake and Markus were his secretaries, Zelgius and Alan his direct subordinates, and Jason was a friend of the Lorend twins)
    • That he remarried when Mark was 2
    • That he owned a house in Johto but was only home maybe three months out of the year because his job just sent him to various centers and offices throughout Hoenn, Unova and Kalos
    • His ship sank with no survivors while coming back to Johto from Hoenn
    • And that the money that Mark inherited from him was put into a trust fund until Mark was 16, and that Mark's spent basically all of it on his new arm (the starting money he had when he was introduced into the game was all he had left)

And yet, do I know his father's name? No. No I do not know Mark's dead father's name. Why would I? Clearly it will never come up, that would be so much work to make.

*Head-desks repeatedly because why does his brain work like this?*

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    And yet, do I know his father's name? No. No I do not know Mark's dead father's name. Why would I? Clearly it will never come up, that would be so much work to make.

*Head-desks repeatedly because why does his brain work like this?*
    I know how you feel, this is part of why so many NPC character names are shout-outs.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

John Wain being the most well-known of those references, yeah.

... Also, I was really into Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn back in the day (and still am), which is why my first character's name was Zelgius. Because I was a nerdy little weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeb.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I just used a list of "Samurai names" on Google, lol.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

John Wain being the most well-known of those references, yeah.

... Also, I was really into Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn back in the day (and still am), which is why my first character's name was Zelgius. Because I was a nerdy little weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeb.
    God, I loved that game. That and Fe9 are still the best games in the series.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are just such good stories, even if Radiant Dawn is a brutally difficult game to actually play. Poor Dawn Brigade babies. They needed 3-4 more chapters worth of experience to keep up with the A-team Greil Mercs.

... Michaia's teasing of Sothe's man crush on Ike is probably still my favorite bit of banter in any video game, ever. "Ike, 'hero' of the Mad King's War, leader of the Greil Mercenaries, and father of Sothe's children..."

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Every time I play I have to bench most of the dawn brigade immediately to make sure that the others get enough EXP. Which means that Leo, Aron, and Laura basically always end up immediately riding the bench. (Not to mention the late joiners like Meg and Fiona.)

The story is so good in these games. I just wish Radiant Dawn had any other support system than the one that they used. Or that some of the characters had actual availability.

EDIT: As far as names go I end up thinking way too long. My fiance helped me with Less's, which made it easier. The last name is all me though. He's not a Pokemon Professor, but as a teacher I figured he still gets a tree themed last name.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-09-07 at 12:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

UGH, FIONA, MY BELOATHED. If she had more than two chapters where you could use her in part 1 (one of which she doesn't even start under your control for the first half), or she started at level 15 with the stats to match, she could be great, but alas. She's just genuinely one of, if not the worst, characters in FE history because she gets NO experience.

The only good Leo I've ever seen was in JelloApocalypse's "Crappy Archers" run, where he only attacked with Ike (so Ike can get to end game and win eventually, but only until Ike hit the level cap) and units that could attack with a bow (or crossbow, eventually, but they weren't allowed to attack with other weapons), which he did just to see if he could get it done. He won. God it was suffering, especially the Dawn Brigade Manor assault levels, but he did it. Fiona just got Bonus EXP'd to a Silver Knight so he could have nearly a full team for end game. Nolan similarly got master seal + bexp'd into a Warrior so he could use crossbows.

Laura and Aron can be decent (especially if you use healer abuse with Michaia sacrifices so that she and Laura can farm the same character), but yeah, the Dawn Babies are mostly carried by Sothe, Nolan and Deadward until you can pick up Jill. Oh. And Naila, if you just want to use the STRONGEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME and never gain experience on any of your other Dawn Brigade members.

... I don't have strong opinions about this game that I will take any excuse to share. Definitely not. It's certainly not one of my favorite games of all time and I well know its flaws and love it despite them. Give me a remake with real support convos, Intelligent Systems. Bring back the original writers to make them. Reeeee

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

The only good Leo I've ever seen was in JelloApocalypse's "Crappy Archers" run, where he only attacked with Ike (so Ike can get to end game and win eventually, but only until Ike hit the level cap) and units that could attack with a bow (or crossbow, eventually, but they weren't allowed to attack with other weapons), which he did just to see if he could get it done. He won. God it was suffering, especially the Dawn Brigade Manor assault levels, but he did it. Fiona just got Bonus EXP'd to a Silver Knight so he could have nearly a full team for end game. Nolan similarly got master seal + bexp'd into a Warrior so he could use crossbows.
    I'll have to watch that at some point, it sounds like a hoot. I've literally never successfully used Leo. The npc Archers that fight alongside you are better.

Laura and Aron can be decent (especially if you use healer abuse with Michaia sacrifices so that she and Laura can farm the same character), but yeah, the Dawn Babies are mostly carried by Sothe, Nolan and Deadward until you can pick up Jill. Oh. And Naila, if you just want to use the STRONGEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME and never gain experience on any of your other Dawn Brigade members.
    Volug is also serviceable once he arrives, and Zihark can replace a bad Edward (or a non-existent one if you didn't traun him). The real travesty is the mages though. Michaih is slow as molasses, Illyana is awful and leaves anyway, and Tormod has some of the worst availability in the entire game. So enjoy using axes the entire time, because those chapters are often the Nolan and Jill show.

The Crimeian Knights also got shafted, just not as badly.

... I don't have strong opinions about this game that I will take any excuse to share. Definitely not. It's certainly not one of my favorite games of all time and I well know its flaws and love it despite them. Give me a remake with real support convos, Intelligent Systems. Bring back the original writers to make them. Reeeee
    All I can say is agreed.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Michaih is slow as molasses,
    So, fun fact, if you use all the healing items and have a few hours to abuse battle saves, you can get Michaia to level 11 (ab)using Sacrifice spam and herbs on the first level, and if you restart to ensure her speed goes up with each of her levels, she can double pretty much everything for the rest of act 1, and keeps respectable speed with just her regular growth to not get doubled by anything but Swordmasters/ peg knights for the rest of the game.

... This is something I learned from Jello's first recorded run, where he was just doing a Hard playthrough of both PoR and RD on-stream and he decided to do that before starting the Radiant Dawn part of the playthrough. He was narrating the game with a bunch of his voice actor friends because he wanted to show them his favorite game, and he wanted to have the most kick-ass Maiden of Dawn possible for that.

If you're interested in something to put on in the background long-term, then here, have the playlist links. I had fun with them. Not only are they excellently voice-acted by people who know what they're doing, but I got plenty of memes to reference out of them, such as, "Shade always procs" and "Interesting Maneuver."
    Path of Radiance playthrough
    Radiant Dawn Playthrough
    THE CURSED ARCHER RUN

19. - Top - End - #589
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Whoops! Seems like deciding to take on both classes and a job at the same time have slowed down my posting more than I expected. Should have more chances to post over the weekend, though! (And the job's short enough that I'll be able to get full posting speed back at the end of the month.)

Here's a silly but meaningful way I think this game's managed to affect me - an ingame day ago, when Stef thanked Pinklady on sight about stuff from earlier that day, I felt a sort of "huh, that felt completely natural, not weird or forced" - and since then, I've found myself a bit more able to thank folks. Before, I thought it'd come off as weird or offputting to thank someone for something way after the thing to thank them for happened, but a simple interaction in a fictional world turned that idea on its head!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by essCee View Post
    Here's a silly but meaningful way I think this game's managed to affect me - an ingame day ago, when Stef thanked Pinklady on sight about stuff from earlier that day, I felt a sort of "huh, that felt completely natural, not weird or forced" - and since then, I've found myself a bit more able to thank folks. Before, I thought it'd come off as weird or offputting to thank someone for something way after the thing to thank them for happened, but a simple interaction in a fictional world turned that idea on its head!
    I’m glad it’s been helpful!

EDIT:

Fair warning guys, as mentioned earlier I have relatives visiting later this week so expect updates to be spotty for the next several days.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-09-11 at 08:36 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

…and did you want me to see if Xatu can do anything about your face?
    Pictured: Mina just barging into an intimate conversation to critique someone's face.

Also, someone take my fish. Actually, having a third water type for a water trainer battle would be kinda nice, tbf, but that's beside the point

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Pictured: Mina just barging into an intimate conversation to critique someone's face.
    That is a fairly typical level of tact for Mina.

Also, someone take my fish. Actually, having a third water type for a water trainer battle would be kinda nice, tbf, but that's beside the point
    I could ask why you bothered to catch it if you didn’t want it, but instead I will point out that you could offer it up as a trade to an NPC for something you do want.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

I could ask why you bothered to catch it if you didn’t want it, but instead I will point out that you could offer it up as a trade to an NPC for something you do want.
    Well, 1) Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have given me an abiding love of how you can GO FAST with this fish, and similarly the visceral fear that a Sharpedo charging at you in Sword/ Shield has left its mark. Also 2) I have too many pokeballs, and Sharpedo is cool and seems like a pretty good option for a ridable water type. I know that any water type is technically able to be ridden, but a corphish/ crawdaunt isn't going to go very fast or keep your head above water very well, and Sharpedo is a good pokemon to ride if you need to swim away REALLY, REALLY FAST. Mark and Mina keep talking about wanting to find escape routes that don't rely on teleportation, and riding a pokemon that can get you a mile away from bad guys in under two minutes feels like it fits the description.

... So if no one wants it, then I'll keep it as a backup fish. If Mark is surfing on his own, he's gonna put on sunglasses and sail around in style on the back of his motorboat shark, be completely uncatchable by anything except jets, other Sharpedo and some forms of sports boat.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

So, fun fact, if you use all the healing items and have a few hours to abuse battle saves, you can get Michaia to level 11 (ab)using Sacrifice spam and herbs on the first level, and if you restart to ensure her speed goes up with each of her levels, she can double pretty much everything for the rest of act 1, and keeps respectable speed with just her regular growth to not get doubled by anything but Swordmasters/ peg knights for the rest of the game.

... This is something I learned from Jello's first recorded run, where he was just doing a Hard playthrough of both PoR and RD on-stream and he decided to do that before starting the Radiant Dawn part of the playthrough. He was narrating the game with a bunch of his voice actor friends because he wanted to show them his favorite game, and he wanted to have the most kick-ass Maiden of Dawn possible for that.

If you're interested in something to put on in the background long-term, then here, have the playlist links. I had fun with them. Not only are they excellently voice-acted by people who know what they're doing, but I got plenty of memes to reference out of them, such as, "Shade always procs" and "Interesting Maneuver."
    Path of Radiance playthrough
    Radiant Dawn Playthrough
    THE CURSED ARCHER RUN
    Oooh, I've added that to my list of things to watch.

That is a fairly typical level of tact for Mina.
    I've always appreciated her consistent characterization.

RPGs are one of my favorite things for just that reason. Sometimes they can change your life, in little ways or small ones.

Also, I realized I'd been neglecting this thread. There's a very simple reason for that, and it's called Baldur's Gate III. That game is amazing and you should all go play it immediately if you have any interest in DnD themed games at all.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark, Akio:

((Let me know if you need input from me.))
    Just waiting on Akio on my end, not much else for me to add right now.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Officially married as of yesterday. I'm headed out for a week of celebration, so that will likely be my last big post for a bit.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Officially married as of yesterday. I'm headed out for a week of celebration, so that will likely be my last big post for a bit.
    Congratulations! 🎉😄

My game posting will probably pick up tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats! Hope your honeymoon/ wedding week treats both of you well. Dibs on any leftover wedding cake!

Edit: Mark arm lore time.

... In before his hand just explodes on contact with the litwick.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Sorry for the late response - job's just got one week left, so I should be much better about posting then!

And congrats, Ruby, hope it's been a great time!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations! 🎉😄

My game posting will probably pick up tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Congrats! Hope your honeymoon/ wedding week treats both of you well. Dibs on any leftover wedding cake!

Edit: Mark arm lore time.

... In before his hand just explodes on contact with the litwick.
    Sorry for the late response - job's just got one week left, so I should be much better about posting then!

And congrats, Ruby, hope it's been a great time!
    Thanks everyone! My wife and I had a great time, and just flew back home today.

Unfortunately our guests ate all the cake, so no leftover wedding cake for anyone.