New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC IV) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Anna Wu

"Come on Ignacio, you're doing so well," Anna said, "you might not realize it yet, but you might have just saved your own life, for the time being anyway. And honestly, that's the most any of us can hope for."

She paused.

"Who were the shooters, and who was the driver for the drive-by at the theater. Who ordered it?" she asked.

She motioned for Gabe to come closer: "Any questions from Karl?" she whispered.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man (boy?) keeps his head lowered despite Anna's reassurances, sobbing softly. The vampire's question suddenly brings the outburst to a stop. Head still down, he responds flatly, "I don't know what you are talking about."
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The man (boy?) keeps his head lowered despite Anna's reassurances, sobbing softly. The vampire's question suddenly brings the outburst to a stop. Head still down, he responds flatly, "I don't know what you are talking about."
    “Antoine, did you have any further questions that would be relevant for the Prince to know?” Anna asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh Inwardly Rachel curses her laziness in assuming the man had a car in easy reach. 'Triple A. I've never actually had to call them before. Do you think they'll come out at this time of night.' While she speaks she'll look around for anyone who might be around tonight to witness her.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Antoine stands unmoving and unblinking for a long moment. His hands open and close three times, then he growls, "Ask him where his master is now."

Karl turns back away from the church, leaving Anna and Gave and Victor to retrieve the tracking device he had left on the van of the ghouls. The return to the motel is not much more than a fifteen minute walk, though if Karl decides to hurry he will of course get there faster. He had dropped his Obfuscate to converse with Anna and the others back at the church, though it seemed like he might need it.

Stopping almost two blocks away, Karl could see the flash of the blue and red lights between the buildings; maybe ambulance, maybe cop car. He could hear the commotion of gathered pedestrians, people asking each other what had happened. Even this far out, he could smell the spilled blood, having grown more metallic as it dried and oxidized with time... an the distant but cloying smell of gunpowder. They had taken care of every Ghoul they had crossed... in fact Karl and Gabe had personally executed those down but not dead; but who knew who, or what else was watching now.

It would of course be a straight shot down the two blocks and around the back of the motel to the parking lot where their van had been.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Where is Saul now? When and how are you supposed to contact him?” Anna asked.
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The question forces Ignacio's back and neck to stiffen, as if Anna had just slapped him. He mumbles in reply, "He's supposed to be at his Haven. We were supposed to flee the city to Oakland once the sun had come up. He was going to contact me when it was safe to return." He also provides Saul's address, in Potrero Hill, a small but surprisingly wealthy neighborhood within Carthian territory.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

The question forces Ignacio's back and neck to stiffen, as if Anna had just slapped him. He mumbles in reply, "He's supposed to be at his Haven. We were supposed to flee the city to Oakland once the sun had come up. He was going to contact me when it was safe to return." He also provides Saul's address, in Potrero Hill, a small but surprisingly wealthy neighborhood within Carthian territory.
    Anna Wu

Anna picked up her phone and, if there is no message from Karl, she switches off the recording and takes a photo of the ghoul.
    "I need to inform the Prince's office of this," Anna said, "give me a moment."

While outwardly calm, if she had a living heart, it would have been pumping frantically. At the same time, she felt oddly exhilarated. She sent a copy of the interview, the photo, and Antoine's declaration of support to Karl & Tony, with a message: "Attack on Spear haven at the Church instigated by Reggie Fort, Carthian Prince of Oakland. Antoine of the Spear has offered to assist in the Prince's directives in this matter. SF Kindred involved either directly or indirectly in the attack: Saul, Maximus (rest of kindred listed by Ignacio here). We have Saul's haven address, need instructions."

She pressed send, then nodded to Victor in appreciation.

Anna paused to look at Antoine.

"Thank you for the use of your premises. I promised to leave the witness here in your care," Anna said as she glanced to Ignacio, "if you uncover additional pertinent information, I ask that you share it with us. Also, it is important he does not escape or inform the Carthians of what we know. Other than that, you can deal with him as you see fit."
    She paused and turned to the ghoul, then frisked him to make sure he wasn't carrying a second phone or a weapon or anything like that.

"Are you carrying anything made of metal?" she asked.

Assuming he answers no:

"Oh, one minor detail," she said as she turned back to Antoine, "he carried a crucifix and tried to use it on me, if that matters to you."

"Did you get back to Rachel?" she asked Gabe as she finally read Rachel's message.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-06-20 at 11:21 AM.
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl moves at a steady and efficient pace on his brisk walk to the motel, as the scene grows near, he wraps himself in shadow again, casing the area as he slowly moves in. This should be a simple enough retrieval, even with so many agitated kine on the alert, but that could change in a hurry.

Moving around the outskirts, the mekhet slips his way towards the van.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It seems to take forever for all of the date Anna sent to travel through the Ether and reach the Prince's childe. Finally, the checkmark appears under Anna's pulse message, indicating that it had arrived. Within a few seconds, a second check appears, indicating the message had been received and read. It takes even longer though for Tony D'Agostino to reply. His message reads, "Are you sure intel is good?"

"Thank you for the use of your premises. I promised to leave the witness here in your care," Anna said as she glanced to Ignacio, "if you uncover additional pertinent information, I ask that you share it with us. Also, it is important he does not escape or inform the Carthians of what we know. Other than that, you can deal with him as you see fit."
    Before Antoine can reply, the Ghoul lifts his bowed head and mumbles, "I need blood. I... I'm too injured. You gotta give me some blood." His eyes are red and glassy. Streaks of dried blood cover his face and clothes, and despite his color, Ignacio's flesh is pale and covered in a sheen of sweat. Anna can hear his heart racing.

Antoine ignores the man's pleas, and says through a rueful grin, "I'll take care of him till you need him." Then his expression hardens and he says, "But I an my sire get to execute The Prince's justice, as you promised." That wasn't "exactly" what Anna had promised.

"Did you get back to Rachel?" she asked Gabe as she finally read Rachel's message.
    Gabe shrugs and says, "She said she'd join us... after dinner."

Getting closer to the motel, Karl can see that several cop cars, an ambulance, and a firetruck have all arrived on the scene. The law are still working to get the scene under control and move the small crowd of gathered gawkers across the street.

(OOC: To clarify, is Karl using Face in the Crowd which is free but less "powerful", or Cloak of Night, which will cost 1 vitae to activate)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl keeps moving, slipping behind the gawkers and around.

(OOC: If there's plenty of people milling about face in the crowd should be sufficient. Unless I misread the situation the van isn't within the focus of the cop's scrutiny. Face fails when a presence is unexpected.)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna paused. She turned the recorder back on.
    “What did the kindred who ordered you to attack the church look like?” Anna asked, “were there any other kindred present when he asked you? How many, and what were their names?”
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

As the man seemed to be making this difficult, 'I suppose I could wait around all night on the off chance some guy comes to fix my car or you could come with me to somewhere more private.' Rachel will look the man in the eye. It was always easier then taking the effort to overpower the man would have been.

Spoiler
    Show

There wasn't much in it but there was another post upthread in case it was missed.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=124

But moving this along for convenience. I think I'd be using Dominate at some point here anyway so lets skip ahead.

Int 3 + Expression 3 + Dominate 2
    (8d10)[9][8][1][10][1][1][6][2](38)
    Any 10s
    (8d10)[4][9][7][6][1][4][7][1](39)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl slips through the crowd, but when he gets to the front, there is an officer who is keeping the crowd back and others on the other side of the street are starting to put up a perimeter with barrier saw horses. Karl knows that with Face in the Crowd, eyes will generally start to slip off of him until he does something to draw attention. He can probably avoid having to go completely invisible if he can avoid being noticed as he crosses the street, which will likely take a clever act of stealth.

(OOC: This will require a Wits + Stealth roll, and I'll give you your Obfuscate as a bonus)

For a moment it looks like Ignacio might protest Anna's question, then he flatly begins to describe the Kindred who gave him direct orders. Very quickly, Anna realizes he is simply describing Oakland's Prince, Reggie Fort. He adds that his sire was there at the time, as well as two other Kindred who he didn't know.

The moment he is done, Ignacio grits his teeth and grimaces. "Please, just a little blood," he pleads, "just a little. I jus' need a little."

Growing weary of the man's chivalry, Rachel eventually locks eyes with him and uses the power of her will to steer things where she needs them. "I will take you to my place," the man says, repeating Rachel's command flatly. The glazed look dissipates and he starts back to conversing casually as he takes the lead.

About fifteen minutes later, he is leading Rachel up the steps of a renovated condo. By this time, he's introduced himself as Tyler Smith. Standing in the doorway, his door open, he mumbles, "I can't remember what...," then shakes his head. Still looking confused he turns back to Rachel and asks, "Uh, do you want to come in then?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Karl slips through the crowd, but when he gets to the front, there is an officer who is keeping the crowd back and others on the other side of the street are starting to put up a perimeter with barrier saw horses. Karl knows that with Face in the Crowd, eyes will generally start to slip off of him until he does something to draw attention. He can probably avoid having to go completely invisible if he can avoid being noticed as he crosses the street, which will likely take a clever act of stealth.

(OOC: This will require a Wits + Stealth roll, and I'll give you your Obfuscate as a bonus)

For a moment it looks like Ignacio might protest Anna's question, then he flatly begins to describe the Kindred who gave him direct orders. Very quickly, Anna realizes he is simply describing Oakland's Prince, Reggie Fort. He adds that his sire was there at the time, as well as two other Kindred who he didn't know.

The moment he is done, Ignacio grits his teeth and grimaces. "Please, just a little blood," he pleads, "just a little. I jus' need a little."

Growing weary of the man's chivalry, Rachel eventually locks eyes with him and uses the power of her will to steer things where she needs them. "I will take you to my place," the man says, repeating Rachel's command flatly. The glazed look dissipates and he starts back to conversing casually as he takes the lead.

About fifteen minutes later, he is leading Rachel up the steps of a renovated condo. By this time, he's introduced himself as Tyler Smith. Standing in the doorway, his door open, he mumbles, "I can't remember what...," then shakes his head. Still looking confused he turns back to Rachel and asks, "Uh, do you want to come in then?"
    Anna Wu
    "Perhaps if you continue to cooperate. What did the other two Kindred who were with you look and sound like? What were they wearing?" Anna asked.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl watches the officers, waiting for the moment they're occupied with someone else before slipping across

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (8d10)[5][3][5][9][6][5][8][6](47)
    ten again (8d10)[2][1][4][10][3][7][1][9](37)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

'Yes I think so.' Rachel grinned. She could invite herself into someone's home. 'Tell me if there's anyone else in here.'

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ignacio describes the two other Kindred; one African American and the other Hispanic. By description alone, neither ring a bell for Anna... or really anyone in the room, though maybe those higher up might know. He says the two Kindred didn't really speak much. When he finishes, the Ghoul goes back to pleading, "I'm cooperating, see? I just... I just need a little. Haven't I told you everything?"

Karl waits for the right moment, when the police officer addresses the crowd and all eyes turn to him, to slip out the side of the side of the mob and move purposefully but not too hastily across the street, relying on the aid of his Obfuscate in the hopes that eyes slide right off of him as he does so.

Once he's at the front of the motel, no one pays him any mind, and Karl is able to move unnoticed to the back parking lot. Unfortunately, when he gets the van left behind by the Ghouls, a detective in a stained grey button down shirt and chinos is busy examining it. Karl observes him take down the license plate number, peer in through the windows. The detective pays Karl no mind, but retrieving the tracker might draw attention in a way that Face in the Crowd can't protect. Of course, there also may be some benefit to talking to the detective... in the right circumstance.

The man blushes and replies, "No, I uh, live alone." He holds the door open, inviting her to come in.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Ignacio describes the two other Kindred; one African American and the other Hispanic. By description alone, neither ring a bell for Anna... or really anyone in the room, though maybe those higher up might know. He says the two Kindred didn't really speak much. When he finishes, the Ghoul goes back to pleading, "I'm cooperating, see? I just... I just need a little. Haven't I told you everything?"

Karl waits for the right moment, when the police officer addresses the crowd and all eyes turn to him, to slip out the side of the side of the mob and move purposefully but not too hastily across the street, relying on the aid of his Obfuscate in the hopes that eyes slide right off of him as he does so.

Once he's at the front of the motel, no one pays him any mind, and Karl is able to move unnoticed to the back parking lot. Unfortunately, when he gets the van left behind by the Ghouls, a detective in a stained grey button down shirt and chinos is busy examining it. Karl observes him take down the license plate number, peer in through the windows. The detective pays Karl no mind, but retrieving the tracker might draw attention in a way that Face in the Crowd can't protect. Of course, there also may be some benefit to talking to the detective... in the right circumstance.

The man blushes and replies, "No, I uh, live alone." He holds the door open, inviting her to come in.
    Anna Wu

"That depends on Antonio; you're his guest now. What else regarding the attack on this Church do you think we would be interested in knowing?" Anna asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-06-28 at 09:51 AM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

'That will make things easier for both of us. Go and sit down.'

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A twisted grin appears on Antonio's face, lips curing up so that you can just seen his vampiric fangs. An eyebrow raised he says in a near growl, "How do we break into your master's Haven?" He turns the grin from Ignacio to the other Kindred.

The Ghoul gives up the keycode combination to Saul's Haven in monotone voice, though his eyes grow wide with fear when he finishes.

Unless anyone stops him, Antonio continues, "Now tell me where he slumbers."

Ignacio, terror growing explains about the locked bedroom on the second floor.

"Thank you," Antonio says with rueful satisfaction.

The man obeys, walking into the living room and sitting down on a grey couch.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

'Now relax.' Rachel had waited long enough for her snack. Once the man had sat down she'll sit on his lap and start to feed.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Not draining him or anything, but the character box says she's on full blood anyway.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tyler obeys sleepily. He closes his eyes, a foolish smile on his face as if he were relaxing in a sauna. When Rachel sits down in his lap, his eyes open and he mutters an "Oh" in a surprised but pleased sort of fashion, as if she had given him a wrapped present. He makes no attempt to resist, though he places a firm hand on her thigh when Rachel begins to feed. His skin is still heavy with the salt and mortal stench of recent exertion, and his blood is filled with a certain vitality and warmth that belies Tyler's age. As she feeds, Tyler's breathing hastens and he begins to moan softly. His grip tightens on her thigh.

(OOC: I gave you the BP at the beginning of the scene, but we agreed to roleplay through. This is why Rachel has fool BP.)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

A twisted grin appears on Antonio's face, lips curing up so that you can just seen his vampiric fangs. An eyebrow raised he says in a near growl, "How do we break into your master's Haven?" He turns the grin from Ignacio to the other Kindred.

The Ghoul gives up the keycode combination to Saul's Haven in monotone voice, though his eyes grow wide with fear when he finishes.

Unless anyone stops him, Antonio continues, "Now tell me where he slumbers."

Ignacio, terror growing explains about the locked bedroom on the second floor.

"Thank you," Antonio says with rueful satisfaction.

The man obeys, walking into the living room and sitting down on a grey couch.
    "Ignacio, same question: What else you think we might be interested in regarding the attack on this Church?" Anna asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-06-30 at 10:12 AM.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Rachael doesn't care at all about the man's hand on her thigh. At this point the sensation was a novel one and was a reminder of a time in her human life when she might have cared more about it. When she withdraws her fangs she'll spend a few moments leaning on the man's chest until the sensation of fresh blood fades away. When she's finished she'll pat the man on the head and return to her car.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Ah, I may have lost track of time

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I don't know," the ghoul replies petulantly, using the back of his hand to wipe a stained cheek, adding, "I told you everything I can, I swear. Please I just need some blood. It feels like my innards are eating themselves." He looks pleadingly from Anna to Antonio to the rest gathered around him in the little room.

The man's eyes remain half mast, even when Rachel is finished. A hand comes up reflexively to cradle her head against his chest. She can here his heart beat loud, now hastened by the sudden blood loss. She had not taken much, and he would likely have no more than a headache and malaise after this. Sleepily Tyler mumbles, "What... what was that?" as he strokes the vampire's hair.

(OOC: I'll also leave it up to you to say what Rachel does next, which I assume is attempt to rejoin the group)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Rachel grins at Tyler before standing up. 'Don't worry about it. You may want to have an early night though.' Once back in her car she'll text Gabe to find out where the others were before driving to meet them.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know," the ghoul replies petulantly, using the back of his hand to wipe a stained cheek, adding, "I told you everything I can, I swear. Please I just need some blood. It feels like my innards are eating themselves." He looks pleadingly from Anna to Antonio to the rest gathered around him in the little room.

The man's eyes remain half mast, even when Rachel is finished. A hand comes up reflexively to cradle her head against his chest. She can here his heart beat loud, now hastened by the sudden blood loss. She had not taken much, and he would likely have no more than a headache and malaise after this. Sleepily Tyler mumbles, "What... what was that?" as he strokes the vampire's hair.

(OOC: I'll also leave it up to you to say what Rachel does next, which I assume is attempt to rejoin the group)
    Anna switched off the recorder. She didn’t really care one way or the other about this gang member.

“It’s up to Antoine,” Anna replied to the ghoul, “you’re his guest.”

She turned to Antoine.
    “What are your intentions regarding Saul?” she asked as she forwarded the latest file to Tony and Karl, “I only ask because I suspect he’s not the only one involved, and the Prince will likely want to roll up all the conspirators, and find out how high it goes.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-01 at 11:51 PM.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl grimaces, fading back into a shadow for a moment. Poor timing, with this one looking right at the vehicle. He quietly pulls the magazine out of his pistol and retrieves a trio of bullets. Carefully wiping them clean he moves around to the other side of the vehicle next to the van. Nondescript and unfired ammo with no fingerprints or other identifiers would be largely useless as evidence on their own, but a couple spilled in the right spot hinted at an interesting story...

Two of them went under the car where the detective would have to stretch himself a bit to reach, the third was rolled to the edge near the man, where it could catch the light...

With the distraction set, Karl would quickly fade back and circle around again, watching for the detective to notice.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Manipulation+subterfuge (5d10)[1][8][3][1][6](19)
    ten again (5d10)[7][7][6][8][2](30)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As Rachel starts to leave, the man calls out in a daze, "Hey, don't you still need help with your car?" His eyes are still half mast, and he makes no attempt to get up.

Later, she messages Gabe. His reply reads, "Just finishing up with some questions at The Church. Probably here for another 10-15 though, if you can get here in time." She could.

“It’s up to Antoine,” Anna replied to the ghoul, “you’re his guest.”
    Ignacio turns a pleading gaze to Antoine. The Spear member shrugs, ignoring the ghoul and says in reply to Anna, "The bitch can starve for all I care." The callousness of the reply takes Ignacio by surprise, and rather than protesting or pleading more, he simply moans and drops his head into his lap.

To Anna's direct question, their host frowns and takes a long moment to think it over before replying. "I suppose I'll wait till The Prince, or whomever, has approved that we be allowed to deliver justice... and I'll deal with this one first," he says, indicating the Ghoul who rises his head up to stare at Antoine with horror, "then we'll deal with Saul. But at least now we know how to get to him." Anna wasn't sure if the "We" included her, or if he was simply referring to his Sire.

Anna gets another message from Tony. Though she had been sending him files, she never replied to his previous question. "Are you sure you can trust what this man is saying???"

(OOC: I figured Karl would be talking to him directly. So a Wits + Subterfuge roll almost makes more sense here. However, I'll give you the success.)

Karl's ploy works, though it takes a little longer for the detective to notice the stray bullets than he would have liked. Though the finishing on the bullets was relatively matte, they were still reflective enough to catch the light, and after the detective finds the first one, he is crawling on his belly to get all the way under the car to reach the last two bullets.
    Show