Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    November 1st
    Keith
    “Thank you, Keith,” Seraph replies. “Natasha works on the 35th floor. I’ll send over your names to security, so you’ll just need to scan your IDs to get in. I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

The angel nods to Keith’s bow as the shadowmancer sees himself out.

Keith finds Drake in his room. He looks freshly showered and is dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants. “Lemme put some real clothes on and I’ll meet you in the living room.”

A few minutes later, Drake emerges from the living quarters, now dressed in jeans and dark green v-necked shirt. A necklace with a silver ring on it is visible around his neck. He looks at Keith curiously. “So where are we going? What are we doing for Seraph?”
    Keith nods. “Anytime, Seraph!” he said as he made his leave.

He grinned at Drake being willing to come along and nodded, waiting for him in the living room. He nodded again when Drake came back out and asked where they were going.

“Thanks for comin’ along too man. Gonna head over to BSJ and make sure Natasha gets home safe. Asked Seraph if there was anythin’ I could do to help him out and he asked. Also figured we could chat a bit more as well too.”

Keith looked at the ground for a moment. “Honestly though, was about afraid to ask for company on this one. But he’s also sent our names to security so we just gotta scan our IDs when we get there.”

He grinned again. “And, still promise to pay ya with food.” He thinks for a moment. “Uhhh thinking about it, do you know how to drive a stick? Could probably just take the Monte Carlo instead of the bus.”

Depending on Drake’s answer, he’ll make his way either to the car or to the bus stop, Stolas fluttering quickly behind and landing in Keith’s shadow.

”Don’t forget about me, Master!” The pair will hear projected as they walk.

2. - Top - End - #242

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    Rooftop, John and Raphael
    Stella looks with wide eyes between John and Raphael before she blinks and moves her gaze slowly down to the rooftop. Her arms wrap themselves around the top of her stomach, almost as if to hold herself together, and Raphael can catch the sharp scent of tears before she blinks them away.

“Callista,” she repeats softly. “I remember that name. From when I was a child. I always thought she was like… an imaginary friend. My mother never talked about her. If I ever brought her up, mère would chastise me.”

“We didn’t even have any pictures of père around the house. Mère was always so angry. She never wanted to talk about him. Now I know why, I guess.”

She starts to say more, but her hand moves up to her throat as her curse starts to activate. The sorceress swallows before looking back up at John and Raphael. Her tone gains a hint of sharpness and a tinge of disappointment. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”
    “At the risk of sounding either overprotective or pathetic,” John replied, “we wanted to be very careful with both of you—given the shock we expected this to be for you and the danger this discovery might put her in.

“I was only able to put together some of the broad outlines initially,” John explained, “which left us with as many questions as answers. After that, we wanted to move cautiously, given your curse and the number of strange coincidences surrounding Cassie’s unexpected arrival here. And, quite frankly, the uncanny parallels between you and her still makes me believe there is something important we don’t know about this coincidence.”

“We didn’t want to cause either of you undue harm or distress because we didn’t know something we should have,” he concluded, turning to Raphael so that he could add his part—especially since it was he that had set the timeline that had landed them in a different kind of principal’s office than usual.

3. - Top - End - #243

OldWizardGuy

Meanwhile, A Late Night Study Session Takes Place in Providence
    Jefferey sketched as Kate lounged nearby, reading about Kissinger’s diplomatic moves in the Far East during the Nixon Administration. It had been a while since he had worked in the basement room that the Kelleys had made into a crafting space for he and the other FPO. Boyfriend had used it for its intended purpose the least, although a case could be made that Stephen was the one who actually used it least. Everyone had quickly realized they needed to expand into another part of the unfinished basement to create a soundproof room for Stephen to practice in, as his playing—good even from the beginning, was not conducive to allowing others to create or study.

Even if he and Kate had spread a little schadenfreude for Chad’s benefit in Dave’s Coffee the week before, Momma Two’s concern and caution had scaled back their public commentary on Boyfriend and Emilia Shaw. Jefferey had been vaguely aware of the hunger for real news about her—especially among the Sirenas—but he had been unprepared for the level of discussion that was building around their relationship. Boyfriend was, officially, still in London. That fact alone was keeping the lid on things here in Providence. Nevertheless, a couple of Boyfriend’s high school classmates had quietly reached out to ask if the rumors were true.

It was a good thing that the FPO had a reputation for being tight lipped.

He wasn’t sure if his having chosen to use Emilia as a subject for his semester design project earlier in the year was or was not a good thing. He had been interested when he chose her in September as one of his three options and was absolutely thrilled to be not only working on her but for her. She was exquisite and just screamed couture.

Now that he was finalizing his sketches, the only thing that worried him there was if his designs could live up to the subject—especially a subject that would be receiving his work just before or just after Thanksgiving.

He tapped on the eraser icon and used it to neatened up a line.

Jefferey suspected that word about Boyfriend had begun to circulate at RISD as well. Liza Morgan, the Pink Investigator herself, had passed through Meg DeCubellis‘s Sophomore Apparel Studio classroom and looked over everyone’s sketches. It was true that, as the department chair, the business she was officially on was a plausible reason for her to be there. But Jefferey had spent enough time around the Kelleys to have noticed she had paused a little longer when she glanced at his sketches and confirmed who he was working on from his Myriad-issued publicity photo of the East Side Provisional Team.

Kate had uncovered it when doing the research her mother had assigned her. Her knowing look made Jefferey wonder what else she had uncovered.

Liza Morgan’s jaw would drop if she had seen the source photo he was looking at now—the one Boyfriend had sent of him and Emi Shaw of them. He could not bring it to RISD for the obvious reason that it was not for public display.

At least, not yet.

The photograph he was working from was Kate’s 16 x 20 print—framed and matted (She had gone to the shop with a photo of her and John then swapped the one he had surreptitiously printed for her on one of the photo printers at RISD.). All five of them—Kate included, had thought it silly to get the photo printed and framed only a week into their relationship.

Then they saw the print—and Boyfriend’s smile.

And her’s.

He glanced over at Kate, who was lying down on her stomach and reading. She was slowly swinging her legs. She had been doing since she was six and it signaled she was really into what she was reading—focused enough that she was less aware of the world around her (Only Momma Two and Boyfriend were sharper than her.).

Jefferey smiled softly, tapping his way to a blank canvas on the new large screen iPad Pro that nominally the Kelleys had gotten for him. Kate had hinted that it was specifically from Boyfriend, who had come into some money along with his new role.

Once Kate figured out that he was Dee, they were able to put enough pieces together that they were able to discover just how much money—in general terms—he had come into.

Having seen those numbers, Jefferey felt much more comfortable about the gift and what it had cost.

He quickly sketched Kate’s form, trying to decide which cut of dress would be the most comfortable for her while she lounges and read. The thought of having her disappear entirely from his life was a painful one—one that John’s new romantic attachment was forcing him to consider. His and Kate’s romantic attachments in high school had never caused a problem but none of them had been serious—no matter what level of fooling around they had gotten up to with the men that had passed through their lives.

How they laughed when, comparing notes, they discovered they had both kissed the same boy.

Boyfriend, on the other hand, was always serious, which had been a double edged sword for him. The girls had appreciated that he took them seriously as people. But that same serious earnestness had made him a little intimidating as a romantic partner.

And now, for the first time, he was bringing a girl home. His earnestness would not be intimidating for her and, Jefferey guessed, was endearing in its own way but Jefferey understood how vulnerable it left him to Emi Shaw.

He looked down and realized he was sketching something that had begun to look more like a bridesmaid’s dress than the kind of casual number Kate might wear around the house.

Kate, and her hopes for her brother and herself, were getting to him—despite his best efforts to be the more rational one in this matter. There was no doubt she was enjoying this turn of events. And if she could get Emilia Shaw to take part in the trick she was planning on Boyfriend, it would be a story for the ages. But he had been around Kate long enough to sense her hopes for her and for him.

Jefferey quickly added a couple splashes of color to his sketch—no sense in wasting a good design—and switched back to his homework before he let himself get too invested in his hopes John’s potential future.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Rooftop:

When Raphael arrives on the rooftop, he plops down on the couch, digs his hands into the pocket of his hoodie, and kicks his legs out and crosses them at the ankles and waits.

Raphael watches Stella closely during John's spiel, but glares at the mage with narrowed eyes when he tries to casually slip in his intention to summon another demon into the conversation.

"Oh yeah? Gonna just, casually summon another demon and stand in front of another mini-gun huh?" The vampire juts his chin at John's ka'yal marking. "That thing good post-mortum? If that thriced damned thing forces you to make the attempt, you don't get to do that by yourself."

He sneers at the mage. "you're too important."

He calms and let's John continue uninterrupted, but flinches and shoots John another reproving look as he goes into the messy and unpleasant details of the death of Stella's father.

He turns his attention back to Stella, and waits patiently while she processes the bombshell.

He looks at her for a long moment when she asks her question, hoping to convey his sincerity and passion for her across the short distance between them.

"I insisted John wait to tell you this." the vampire says quietly. "Selfish, blood-sucking abomination that I am, I was pretty demanding that we wait. You've kinda been caught up in a lot lately, and it was right before your birthday. I really wanted you to have a quiet, enjoyable night, a normal night, without having to think about any of... this." Raphael waves his hand in a gesture meant to encompass not just this conversation and revelation, but all of it. The Curse, The Darkwatch, rescuing her mother's soul, her brother, any of it.

He shrugs.

"I can't be sorry for that. It wouldn't be truthful."

He hisses a breath out through his nose and continues. "I am sorry that her being tied up with Feris makes things... complicated." He says in a disgusted tone.

His expression softens. "For what it's worth, John did want to tell you right away. Be upset with me, not him. At least for the timing."

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Comfort and Support! 12
    fingers crossed that Stella actually opens up so I can clear a condition.

5. - Top - End - #245

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Rooftop:
    Raphael watches Stella closely during John's spiel, but glares at the mage with narrowed eyes when he tries to casually slip in his intention to summon another demon into the conversation.

"Oh yeah? Gonna just, casually summon another demon and stand in front of another mini-gun huh?" The vampire juts his chin at John's ka'yal marking. "That thing good post-mortum? If that thriced damned thing forces you to make the attempt, you don't get to do that by yourself."

He sneers at the mage. "you're too important."
    John offers a quick smile to the vampire, deciding that now was not the time to correct him and point out this would be his first demon summoning. “I’m mostly important because I can do this kind of thing. For what it’s worth, however, I was going to skip the mini gun and move straight on to consulting with you on this, as I will be weaving together demonology, blood magic, and Enochian magic to do this. While I am confident about my approach, that doesn’t mean I am foolish enough to proceed without having Dr. Riviera and you look over my plans and challenge my assumptions.

John grew serious again. “The assumption I wanted her to challenge is that using Vrell as a blood sacrifice can be used to bridge a gap in the Stones of Vanuusha — a gap we opened by securing some of them. Her eldest brother has, it appears, demonstrated a willingness to use the blood of one of his family members to advance the Empire’s agenda here. I’d rather not leave him the option of doing so with his kid sister.”

“It’s my idea to do this,” John observed, turning the back of his left hand to Raphael and pointing at the glyph that marked it. “Not his.”

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Stella’s expression softens as her boyfriend gives his reasoning for keeping such important information from her. She nods as she looks over at the vampire. “Thank you,” she says gently smiling at him. She looks to John. “Both of you.”

Her gaze drops to her lap as she reaches out and takes Raphael’s hand. “I’m very lucky to have people that care about me as much as you do,” she says in a low voice before looking back at her boyfriend. “I appreciate you looking out for me, mon coeur. I really enjoyed my birthday and our weekend together. It was the best birthday I’ve had in a long time.”

“You said she doesn’t know yet,” Stella says, glancing up at John. “Does Feris know? If not, are you going to tell her? If I can, I’d like to talk to her again.”

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    He grinned at Drake being willing to come along and nodded, waiting for him in the living room. He nodded again when Drake came back out and asked where they were going.

“Thanks for comin’ along too man. Gonna head over to BSJ and make sure Natasha gets home safe. Asked Seraph if there was anythin’ I could do to help him out and he asked. Also figured we could chat a bit more as well too.”

Keith looked at the ground for a moment. “Honestly though, was about afraid to ask for company on this one. But he’s also sent our names to security so we just gotta scan our IDs when we get there.”

He grinned again. “And, still promise to pay ya with food.” He thinks for a moment. “Uhhh thinking about it, do you know how to drive a stick? Could probably just take the Monte Carlo instead of the bus.”

Depending on Drake’s answer, he’ll make his way either to the car or to the bus stop, Stolas fluttering quickly behind and landing in Keith’s shadow.
    Drake smiles a little at Keith and nods. “I’ll hold you to it,” he says as he starts heading down the stairs to the garage. “We can take the Monte. I’ve wanted to take it for a spin.”

He grabs the keys from the wall and carefully drops down into the driver’s seat. The suspension groans, but accepts his weight.

The car roars to life as he turns the key and gives a little gas to get it going.

He waits for Keith before pulling out onto the street. “So what did you want to talk about?” he asks once they pull onto the highway.

7. - Top - End - #247

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    Stella’s expression softens as her boyfriend gives his reasoning for keeping such important information from her. She nods as she looks over at the vampire. “Thank you,” she says gently smiling at him. She looks to John. “Both of you.”

Her gaze drops to her lap as she reaches out and takes Raphael’s hand. “I’m very lucky to have people that care about me as much as you do,” she says in a low voice before looking back at her boyfriend. “I appreciate you looking out for me, mon coeur. I really enjoyed my birthday and our weekend together. It was the best birthday I’ve had in a long time.”

“You said she doesn’t know yet,” Stella says, glancing up at John. “Does Feris know? If not, are you going to tell her? If I can, I’d like to talk to her again.
    “Feris has been fully briefed,” John replied carefully as he stood. Having noted Raphael’s irritation at some of his disclosures, he decided he would keep how fully a little vague—especially given that he did not want to accidentally activate her curse again. “He cares a great deal for your sister so it seemed only fair.

“When Emi and I spoke with her, she seemed quite open to the thought of speaking with us and with you. And Feris did not appear to have any objections. Cassie said that she can, perhaps unsurprisingly, be often found at 5th Chapter. I will, of course, do whatever I can to assist,” he said, shifting his gaze to Raphael. “That said, I suspect you have a better options to get you connected there.”

He turned back to Stella. “I suspect the two of you will want to talk as you start to sort through things. A quiet ending to what I hope was a quiet day. After I change, I’ll be down in my lab, should you need me for anything—assuming Seraph doesn’t call me to his office after reading my one sheet on my plans for tomorrow morning.”

“Oh, and Stella?” John added as he began to walk towards the door. “I feel safe in speaking for the two of us and Sidney and Ryker and Emi and everyone else here in saying we are the fortunate ones to have the unexpected opportunity to get to know you.

“Have a good night.”

Well, John projected as he opened the door, things with Stella appeared to go well—even if Raphael appeared to think I said more than I should have. How did your conversation go?

8. - Top - End - #248

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake smiles a little at Keith and nods. “I’ll hold you to it,” he says as he starts heading down the stairs to the garage. “We can take the Monte. I’ve wanted to take it for a spin.”

He grabs the keys from the wall and carefully drops down into the driver’s seat. The suspension groans, but accepts his weight.

The car roars to life as he turns the key and gives a little gas to get it going.

He waits for Keith before pulling out onto the street. “So what did you want to talk about?” he asks once they pull onto the highway.
    Keith grins and nods as Drake mentions his plan and the desire to take the car for a spin.

"Perfect timin' then! And good thing I haven't learned to drive stick yet either." Keith thinks for a moment. "I mean for this instance, meant to learn just..... fun stuff happened."

Keith hopped into the passenger seat, using his flight to lessen his descent into the car. He wondered how the suspension would hold considering how the bus groaned earlier.

As Drake asked about what he wanted to chat about, Keith hung his head a bit.

"It's.... actually about earlier since I know we didn't get to talk. Well, still waiting on Maeve's recount too, but..." Keith stops for a moment. "Mostly, I wanted to tell you I'm sorry." He looks over at Drake when he says it.

"Also kinda curious what you and Ryker thought during the training exercise. Didn't realize Raph could up and just.... fully negate a power like that."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake shrugs as he leans back into the seat and gets comfortable. “Mistakes happen,” he says simply. “We’re heroes. Sometimes we get hurt.”

A moment passes. “Part of it was my fault too. I didn’t give you good enough instructions. That was my bad.”

While he keeps his eyes mostly on the road, he occasionally glances over at Keith while he talks.

“Raph is full of surprises,” he replies as he passes a slow moving car. “He’s crazy versatile. That’s part of what Ryker and I were talking about, along with a few things that he noticed that we could work on in hand to hand, and how our new people’s powers work.”

Stella gives John a soft smile and a nod as he leaves.

She moves her gaze back to Raphael. “Why do you say that her being involved with Feris is ‘messy’?”

John
    It takes a moment for Emi to respond. I haven’t talked to him yet, she says quietly. I haven’t figured out the right way to drop such a… a bombshell on him.

10. - Top - End - #250

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    It takes a moment for Emi to respond. I haven’t talked to him yet, she says quietly. I haven’t figured out the right way to drop such a… a bombshell on him.
    Maybe I should have told him before I left, John half joked as he descended the stairs from the roof and checked his phone to see if Harbinger or Seraph had responded to his memo about summoning a demon tomorrow. While I have specialized in dropping bombshells on sorceresses and angels, it’s probably a transferable skill.

John grew more serious as he made his way to his room. Emi, I know you wanted to break this to him because you are his friend and you think that might help. But it also might also make things more complicated for the two of you.

If you are still worried about it, perhaps it might be easier for me and Keith to have the conversation with him. A friend and a friennimy/rival for your affection might make it easier for him to hear and process, as it will separate the discussion from the process of falling into your eyes. I can’t imagine I am the only one in the world who has that problem.

And it’s not like Valèdir’s opinion of me is going to suffer for this and Grayson and I have spoken of the need to be civil with one another and supportive of you, he pointed out as he pressed his hand on the access panel to his room.

I don’t mind helping you in this regard
    , John stressed, if you think my telling him will make it easier on you or on him. I could even ask Seraph and your father for permission to visit your roof this evening to break the news, given that we know Valèdir has promised to behave himself for a week and given that it might be for the best to have this completed before Mastroiani arrives tomorrow. Given what I am asking him to approve, I suspect visiting the East Side roof will seem like a minor thing in comparison.

11. - Top - End - #251

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake shrugs as he leans back into the seat and gets comfortable. “Mistakes happen,” he says simply. “We’re heroes. Sometimes we get hurt.”

A moment passes. “Part of it was my fault too. I didn’t give you good enough instructions. That was my bad.”

While he keeps his eyes mostly on the road, he occasionally glances over at Keith while he talks.

“Raph is full of surprises,” he replies as he passes a slow moving car. “He’s crazy versatile. That’s part of what Ryker and I were talking about, along with a few things that he noticed that we could work on in hand to hand, and how our new people’s powers work.”
    Keith grins and loosens up a bit, leaning back in the seat and relaxing some. Hearing Drake say that it would happen, somehow it helped a bit. And he was able to have a talk with someone after his mistake this time.

Keith tilts his head as Drake says part of it was his fault and is a bit confused. "Feel like you were clear though. More clear than Ian ever was with me since most of his instruction was, 'go that way and stay away from most of us.'" Keith shook his head. It was weird remembering how he had pretty much been ostracized by his old team lead. Working with a full team and an understanding leader was..... different to say the least. "Honestly, working with someone that gives instructions and is nice to boot is really new. Back in the facility we were given the bare minimum in case anyone got captured, and told to improvise the rest. Not really lookin' to add more tags to my collection either."

He thought for a moment. He didn't know Calvin that well, but it was still someone in his line of work and on his team.

As Drake mentioned the versatility of Raph, he couldn't help but just nod. "He really is, and I need to get back on the regiment Ryker set for me. Fell behind last week, but it started getting easier. Just need to spend a bit more time and focus on the gym. Didn't expect Terrence to move like that either. Him and Sophia held their own on patrol as well, granted her attacks are still a bit wild."

He then had a thought. "I really wanna take a win off Raph now. Just gotta get faster." Keith sighed. "Still know I'd hurt my fist sparing with you though." He chuckles.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake considers Keith’s words for a moment. “I’ve only met Ian a few times. Mostly it was while we were in patrol, so we never really got to talk, but I did see him one time at the station when I was hanging out with my dad. He seemed really polite. Very English. Seems weird that he would be so different.” Drake shrugs again. “Maybe that’s something you can talk to John about, since he’s been spending so much time over at East Side recently.”

He takes Exit 23 off the highway, and the car roars as he downshifts, coming to a stop at a light as it turns red.

“It’s cool that you’re working to improve yourself,” Drake comments. “Especially in an area that you know you’re lacking in.” He pauses, then mutters, “I need to double down on agility training again.”

John
    As John comes down the stairs, he spots Harbinger coming out of the kitchen. The angel looks up the hallway and his slightly narrowed gaze settles on the mage.

John, I know that’s asking a lot of you, Emi says, But, perhaps, it may be the best option. You were the one that talked to the dragon and got this information after all; I’m just trying to piece things together secondhand.

I’ll speak to my father once he returns— he’s on his way back now. I’ll let you know why he says about you and Keith coming to the roof.

“Just the guy I wanted to talk to,” Harbinger says, heading down the hallway towards John. A single gray feather trails in his wake.

13. - Top - End - #253

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake considers Keith’s words for a moment. “I’ve only met Ian a few times. Mostly it was while we were in patrol, so we never really got to talk, but I did see him one time at the station when I was hanging out with my dad. He seemed really polite. Very English. Seems weird that he would be so different.” Drake shrugs again. “Maybe that’s something you can talk to John about, since he’s been spending so much time over at East Side recently.”

He takes Exit 23 off the highway, and the car roars as he downshifts, coming to a stop at a light as it turns red.

“It’s cool that you’re working to improve yourself,” Drake comments. “Especially in an area that you know you’re lacking in.” He pauses, then mutters, “I need to double down on agility training again.”
    Keith considered what Drake had said about Ian, and thought to his conversation with Aimee the other day. He did at least preface it with he had a certain bias so that helped him feel a bit better on it.

"Very English is right." Keith chuckles. Then his face turns a bit serious. "He didn't really like that I was close to Grayson, and he usually picked on his too. I'll admit, I have a bias against him. Wouldn't wish the guy harm but he can be a bit much." He shook his head.

At Drake's compliment, Keith smiles a bit. "Uncle always has me do agility training and got me to learn some martial arts. Never was my best area but helps in a pinch." He looked over at Drake. "Honestly think it's cool that you can dish out as much damage as you do and keep a solid defense. Can't really defend much with a shadow."

At Drake's muttering, he tilted his head. He would be greatly willing to help out, but not the way that Don E. or Uncle taught him.

Couldn't put someone else through that.

"Wouldn't mind running drills with you on that. Though, I may put on a nullifier for it. Just how I'm used to some drills. Pretty sure we should have a wristband one or something." Keith looks a bit sheepishly. "That's how Don E. had me learn a lot." He shrugged as he watched the red light.

"Anytime ya wanna run some drills, just say the word!" He grins.

He took his phone out to check right fast. It had been hours since he first texted Maeve and was a bit worried about her patrol. Or maybe he finally pushed his luck and made a very bad impression on Nova and Addi. He drafted a quick text.

Spoiler: Text to Maeve
    Show

"Oh right! The question I meant to ask before we got called away. When is your birthday? And apologies, Nightgaunt has put me through the ringer today. Hope patrol and training is going well."

"On the return trip, I gotta tell you what John talked to me about after our group chat last night. Bit of a bombshell with everything else."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2023-04-25 at 03:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    As John comes down the stairs, he spots Harbinger coming out of the kitchen. The angel looks up the hallway and his slightly narrowed gaze settles on the mage.

John, I know that’s asking a lot of you, Emi says, But, perhaps, it may be the best option. You were the one that talked to the dragon and got this information after all; I’m just trying to piece things together secondhand.

I’ll speak to my father once he returns— he’s on his way back now. I’ll let you know why he says about you and Keith coming to the roof.

“Just the guy I wanted to talk to,” Harbinger says, heading down the hallway towards John. A single gray feather trails in his wake.
    I’m always happy to help you, Emi, John assured her as he met Harbinger’s eyes and nodded, and assuming I survive this conversation with Harbinger about possibly summoning a demon, I will be at you and your father’s disposal to help bring Grayson up to speed on his other half’s plans.

Other half? What was his subconscious up to?

“I was hoping to speak with you as well, Harbinger” John replied earnestly. “I was hoping you had developed a better plan than I had to respond to the latest development.”

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    Thank you, Emi replies. She starts to say something more, but then quiets, seeming to want to keep it to herself. You’ll be okay, John. Harbinger likes you.

The angel lets out a deep sigh as he stops in front of the mage. He seems to take a moment to compose himself before he says, “John, what the hell are you thinking?” His voice is low, intense, but not angry. “You want to summon another Greater Demon? How? Obviously you’re not going to sacrifice people to do it.”

“Wait,” he continues, holding up a hand. “Before you tell me that, I want you explain to me why you think opening your mind to two other, more powerful, Greater Demons is a good idea.”

Keith
    Drake nods as the light turns green. He takes a quick look around and sees that the intersection that they’re at is almost completely empty and shifts back into first. Tires screech and Keith is thrown back into his seat as Drake accelerates briefly, hitting the rev limiter several times, before letting off the gas once they’re through the intersection.

The normally stoic hero’s face cracks into a grin. He glances over to Keith. “I’ve always wanted to do that.”

About five minutes later, Drake parallel parks across the street from a tall white building.

The two of them enter the building and show their IDs to the lone security guard. Drake pulls out an additional card that lets him bypass the metal detector that Keith is required to walk through.

Once out of the elevator, they emerge into a lobby with another security guard. He looks surprised that anyone else is here at this time. “Can I help you?” he asks as he stands from behind his desk.

16. - Top - End - #256

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    Drake nods as the light turns green. He takes a quick look around and sees that the intersection that they’re at is almost completely empty and shifts back into first. Tires screech and Keith is thrown back into his seat as Drake accelerates briefly, hitting the rev limiter several times, before letting off the gas once they’re through the intersection.

The normally stoic hero’s face cracks into a grin. He glances over to Keith. “I’ve always wanted to do that.”

About five minutes later, Drake parallel parks across the street from a tall white building.

The two of them enter the building and show their IDs to the lone security guard. Drake pulls out an additional card that lets him bypass the metal detector that Keith is required to walk through.

Once out of the elevator, they emerge into a lobby with another security guard. He looks surprised that anyone else is here at this time. “Can I help you?” he asks as he stands from behind his desk.
    Keith can't help but grin as he's forced back into the seat. He kept a good grip on his phone so he didn't end up dropping it and couldn't help but laugh a bit seeing Drake's stoic face crack a grin.

It was unusual for sure! But a nice change of pace.

"Hey can't blame ya there! I'd want to too if I could drive this thing!" He managed to get out above the roar of the engine.

As they pass through, Keith tilted his head at the card that Drake flashed for the metal detector and remembered what Yuki had told him. Might have come in handy for the other day at Innovatech, but there wasn't much incident there thankfully.

He nodded at the security guard as he passed and walked again with Drake to the next lobby, and is slightly confused about the second guard. It was about that time he figured that the tower might be just a bit too big for a single company newspaper.

"Good evenin'," Keith said with a half way and showed his ID again. "We're here to see Ms. Natasha Balinski with BSJ. Apologies for the late intrusion sir, it was cleared just a few minutes ago."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2023-04-26 at 10:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    Thank you, Emi replies. She starts to say something more, but then quiets, seeming to want to keep it to herself. You’ll be okay, John. Harbinger likes you.
    You know, you can tell me that it’s a crazy idea, too, John offers—hoping he is guessing right about Emi’s concerns and it has nothing to do with Grayson. It is, after all. I’ve had to face this kind of threat before but that doesn’t mean we should all try to be blasé about it.

The angel lets out a deep sigh as he stops in front of the mage. He seems to take a moment to compose himself before he says, “John, what the hell are you thinking?” His voice is low, intense, but not angry. “You want to summon another Greater Demon? How? Obviously you’re not going to sacrifice people to do it.”

“Wait,” he continues, holding up a hand. “Before you tell me that, I want you explain to me why you think opening your mind to two other, more powerful, Greater Demons is a good idea.”
    “It isn’t a good idea,” John replied quietly. “But it may be a necessary one. We have to assume that Vibrato’s recent run on jewelry stores have permitted her to successfully obtain enough Stones of Vanuusha that our enemies are getting close to the point they can consider moving towards implementing the kind of vision you shared with me. The sacrifice of a greater demon, when conducted properly, could bridge the gap opened by more than one of the Stones.

“We already know blood sacrifice is part of their plan and Jerek appears to be willing to reveal the True Names of his family to advance himself. It appears he was willing to have his brother summoned to serve the Empire as a source of ichor for Nova and Zylas is worried for his sisters. The older sister, Lazka, is under contract somewhere—Dr. Riviera believes she knows the person who holds her contract. Vrel is currently unaccounted for following the fall of her House.”

John took a deep breath. “Right now, the only plan I can come up with is to deprive the Empire and the Greater Demon of Urvaan-et that has possessed Stella’s brother.”

Spoiler: Bennies and Cards to reach two raises
    Show
    Knowledge (Occult) for the totally a good idea summoning: 1d12o12+2 9 1d6o6+2 6
    One Bennie Spent!
    Knowledge (Occult) for the totally a good idea summoning reroll: 1d12o12+2 10 1d6o6+2 4
    John plays Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.
    Total: 12

“As to the how, I intend to create a modified summoning ring that will use some of Zylas’ ichor in place of Vrel’s True Name. Since he reservoir will have to be made of electrum, since the alchemical gold will not bind with the ichor. It will bind to the electrum and the electrum will bind to the ichor, forging the link I would need for my spells to take hold.

“I’ll also inscribe an outer ring of the summoning circle with the Frère et Sœur variation of the Blood Magic spell Ligures de Liaison to lock the spell to filter Jerek out of the summoning. While that spell is active, I will use an Enochian version of Innocentium Clama to focus on Vrel.

“I’ll have to scribe out things on the fly to account for any surprises but that really isn’t anything new.”

“As you noted, however, that will still leave a window open for Jerek and Lazka to lash out at me but, without her True Name, I have not been able to come up with a solution to that beyond preparing myself for that eventuality that does not involve allowing Zylas to participate in the casting.” John regarded Harbinger seriously. “And while I will concede I have come to like him, I do not like him enough to run the risks that asking him to take part would involve.”

John looked down, trying to hide some of his Catholic guilt and frustration at not having developed a better plan. “If it makes you feel any better, I don’t like the thought of doing this either. I just don’t see any way around it if we want to avoid the possible future you saw coming to pass.”

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Rooftop:

"I think that probably makes it worse." Raphael says back to John's insistence it was his idea, but otherwise leaves it alone.

After the mage leaves, Raphael turns his attention back towards Stella, squeezing her hand gently.

He thinks for a few moments, collecting his thoughts, and remembering a similar conversation with John...

"It's messy because vampires are... touchy about things humans aren't." He begins. "I had a similar conversation with John after our double date and he wanted to go talk to Cassie in the first place."

He sighs. "As far as the kindred are concerned, Cassie belongs to Feris."

He looks back at his girlfriend. "You-"

He juts his chin at the door downstairs. "Him-"

He points down at the roof. "and everyone else here are, in the same way, 'mine.' It's a breach of etiquette, to put it very lightly, to allow those circles to overlap, even if by pure chance or coincidence, without going through the proper channels."

Raphael's usual arrogant smirk returns. "You might recall how quickly Feris ushered Cassie away from you at 5th Chapter. To us, she wasn't toeing the line, she was getting ready to sprint across it."

He looks at his feet and shakes his head, a strange look in his eye. "I think stuff like that's stupid, but even I'm not immune to it. It's natural to us."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Terrence sits quietly, waiting for Seraph to complete what he is doing. A moment to relax was nice, after the events of the day. 'I probably need to call my grandmama tonight. She'll be wondering how my first full day went."

When Seraph looks up, T smiles, "Whatcha got for me, Boss?"
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2023-04-28 at 10:01 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    The guard looks at both of their IDs and scans them in as he scrutinizes both Keith and Drake. “I didn’t expect a couple’a kids to be comin’ by so late, but you’re in the system. My shift just started a few minutes ago, and of course, Jerry didn’t leave a note or anything for me,” the guard mutters.

“You guys know where her office is?” he asks, looking up at them.

“No sir,” Drake replies.

“Take a left right when you walk in and follow the wall all the way to the back of the building. That’s where the editors’ offices are. She should be back there.”

Drake thanks the guard and walks through the doors to the main floor of BSJ, which is filled with desks, computers and several large TVs overhead. He takes a left, following the guard’s instructions until they come to a frosted glass office labeled Natasha Balinski, Editor.

He knocks on the closed door. The two of them hear a few noises of papers being shuffled and a chair rolling before the door opens.

Natasha smiles tiredly at the two of them. “My escort has arrived, I see. Thanks for coming by. Come on in. I have one more thing to finish. Ten minutes or less, I promise,” she says, waving them into her office.

The inside of her office is modern and neat. Her desk is covered in careful stacks of papers, not unlike Seraph’s desk back at base. Out of the wide glass windows, the sluggish streets and the dark water of the Iron River are visible. Natasha sits back in her office chair again with a sigh and gestures at the two chairs that face it.

Drake quickly inspects the structural integrity of the furniture and shakes his head. “I’ll stand. Thank you, ma’am.”

Natasha quickly smiles apologetically at him as she goes back to typing on her laptop. “I forget. Sorry Drake. You can drop the formality, by the way. It’s just Natasha to you two.” She looks over at the other hero. “Keith, right? How has your week been? I know I saw you Saturday, but we didn’t really talk all that much.”

John
    Harbinger listens carefully to John’s explanation and lets out a deep sigh. “I can’t believe that I’m about to allow a thrice damned Greater Demon to be summoned.”

He gives John a hard look. “You’ve ‘come to like’ him? Just remember that he’s still a demon. The only thing protecting him here is that thing on your hand,” the angel growls.

He takes another breath, calming himself again. “James and I have a lot to talk about while we’re on patrol tonight. One of us will let you know if we come up with a better idea,” he says. The angel turns to leave, pulling his ragged wings tight against his back.

It is a crazy idea, John, Emi replies as Harbinger walks away. But so far your ideas have worked out. It doesn’t mean I’m not worried about you though.

21. - Top - End - #261

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    The guard looks at both of their IDs and scans them in as he scrutinizes both Keith and Drake. “I didn’t expect a couple’a kids to be comin’ by so late, but you’re in the system. My shift just started a few minutes ago, and of course, Jerry didn’t leave a note or anything for me,” the guard mutters.

“You guys know where her office is?” he asks, looking up at them.

“No sir,” Drake replies.

“Take a left right when you walk in and follow the wall all the way to the back of the building. That’s where the editors’ offices are. She should be back there.”

Drake thanks the guard and walks through the doors to the main floor of BSJ, which is filled with desks, computers and several large TVs overhead. He takes a left, following the guard’s instructions until they come to a frosted glass office labeled Natasha Balinski, Editor.

He knocks on the closed door. The two of them hear a few noises of papers being shuffled and a chair rolling before the door opens.

Natasha smiles tiredly at the two of them. “My escort has arrived, I see. Thanks for coming by. Come on in. I have one more thing to finish. Ten minutes or less, I promise,” she says, waving them into her office.

The inside of her office is modern and neat. Her desk is covered in careful stacks of papers, not unlike Seraph’s desk back at base. Out of the wide glass windows, the sluggish streets and the dark water of the Iron River are visible. Natasha sits back in her office chair again with a sigh and gestures at the two chairs that face it.

Drake quickly inspects the structural integrity of the furniture and shakes his head. “I’ll stand. Thank you, ma’am.”

Natasha quickly smiles apologetically at him as she goes back to typing on her laptop. “I forget. Sorry Drake. You can drop the formality, by the way. It’s just Natasha to you two.” She looks over at the other hero. “Keith, right? How has your week been? I know I saw you Saturday, but we didn’t really talk all that much.”
    Keith can’t help but shrug as the guard mutters not having a note left behind. “I get that. Havin’ a note or even an update is nice and all from a partner.” He can’t help but mutter.

Keith rubs the back of his neck and shakes his head as the guard asks them about Natasha’s office location. He nods when the guard explains and follows Drake.

“Thank you sir. Hope the rest of the evening goes well.” He manages before catching up to Drake.

He takes in the scene of the office area and is immediately brought back to how part of the trip to Innovatech was. Thankfully this wasn’t the office of Matteo. Or his sister’s he couldn’t help but think.

Keith smiles as they are let into the office and takes it all in. It definitely reminded him of Seraph’s office a bit from just a while ago. Granted, much more like Apex’s office. Her’s was always well organized.

“No worries! Hopefully all is well with work still.” He grins and then remembers the entire interview with Aimee from yesterday. “Nice view from the window too.”

As Drake opts to stand, and Natasha offers a seat, Keith looks at them and nods. “Thank you, ma’-, sorry, Natasha. Habits.” He chuckles a bit nervously. He looks up at Drake. “I’ll see if uncle has any advice on makin’ furniture for ya. Granted his abilities are way more advanced.”

As Natasha addresses him, Keith sits straight up at attention. “Y-yep! So far so good. Met with Maeve a bit this afternoon but I think that may be goin’ a bit more sideways than I thought.” He chuckles a bit nervously. “We ended up hitting it off really well and time just flew by. One date today and then Marrow happened, and mostly radio silence since then. But I know North Side stays busy.”

“I should have come over and spoke a bit. I’m sorry on that, was a bit…. Preoccupied. And figured you and Seraph would want some time just to talk.” He smiled and then rubbed the back of his neck. “That, and didn’t want Aimee thinkin’ we were tryin’ to keep a closer watch on her after last Tuesday’s meeting.”

He shook the thought from his head. “How has your week been? Did you have fun Saturday as well?”

22. - Top - End - #262

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    Harbinger listens carefully to John’s explanation and lets out a deep sigh. “I can’t believe that I’m about to allow a thrice damned Greater Demon to be summoned.”

He gives John a hard look. “You’ve ‘come to like’ him? Just remember that he’s still a demon. The only thing protecting him here is that thing on your hand,” the angel growls.
    “I thought it best to be honest with you and with myself about that,” John observed contritely. “He’s a diplomat from one of Hell’s foremost Houses. I’d be surprised if he didn’t have that effect on me, given the time I am spending with him. Lying about it seems like it would be a step in the wrong direction.”

He takes another breath, calming himself again. “James and I have a lot to talk about while we’re on patrol tonight. One of us will let you know if we come up with a better idea,” he says. The angel turns to leave, pulling his ragged wings tight against his back.

It is a crazy idea, John, Emi replies as Harbinger walks away. But so far your ideas have worked out. It doesn’t mean I’m not worried about you though.
    I’m not sure if it helps or not, John confessed, but I am worried about me as well. If I fail, it could doom Iron Station. If I succeed, I will know I can do it and the temptation will always be there. It’s the kind of situation that the phrase damned if you do, damned if you don’t was made for.

For what it’s worth, I promise to be careful and Raphael says I won’t be facing it alone. I think that was a whether I want his help or not kind of a thing.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    “Don’t worry about it,” Drake replies to Keith as he moves to look out the window. While he does enjoy the view, he’s also keeping an eye out for anything out the ordinary.

“Aimee was preoccupied with a certain East Side hero,” Natasha says with a chuckle as she types away on her laptop. “I doubt she would have noticed. I had a great time Saturday. It was great getting to hang out with James for while and getting to see Nolan. Mr. Shaw was a little intimidating, but he’s very cordial and I got to sit back and mostly listen while he talked to James and Nolan.”

Her expression grows a little pinched as Keith asks how her week has gone. “It’s been… hectic. I have so much work and not enough hours in a day to do it. On top of that, I haven’t been feeling too well, so it just makes everything a little harder.”

John
    John feels a mental nod from Emi. I know you’ll be careful.

A pause. My father says that you can visit the roof after hours for tonight. He cleared with Seraph as well.

Raphael
    Stella nods, following along with Raphael’s explanation. Her gaze is fixed on their intertwined hands. “Do you think you could talk to Feris and ask if we could meet again?” she asks, looking up at her boyfriend. “Of course, don’t put yourself in a bad spot over it. Vampire politics are still… unfamiliar to me, so I don’t want to ask you something that could get you in trouble with him.”

“But I would really, really like to speak with her,” Stella says softly before she seems to realize something and shakes her head. “On second thought, maybe I shouldn’t. John said that she has an adoptive family back in Illinois, didn’t he? Maybe it’s best if she doesn’t know about… what’s left of her old family.”

Raphael can smell the beginnings of tears again.

“Ma famille est brisée… Ça ne peut plus jamais être pareil,” she mumbles in French, looking back down at her lap. “C'est probablement mieux si elle ne le savait pas.”

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    My family is broken. It can’t ever be the same again. It’s probably best if she didn’t know about it.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-04-29 at 04:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    John feels a mental nod from Emi. I know you’ll be careful.

A pause. My father says that you can visit the room after hours for tonight. He cleared with Seraph as well.
    John glanced at his watch. Perhaps he should risk teleporting them there.

Thank you, Emi. Will you ask him to meet me and probably Keith on the roof in a few minutes? It shouldn’t take me long to get him ready to join me there.

He only had a momentary pang of guilt at the thought of moving Keith like a chess piece, as he had accused him of doing the other night at the Hallowe’en party.

“Mimi:” John asked as he continued to his room, “Can you ask Keith how soon he can be prepared to accompany my on an authorized excursion to East Side to speak with Grayson?”

He reminded himself he had to begin rebuilding his trust in Keith somewhere. It wasn’t exactly true that he had lost all trust in him, of course. His actions at the party were predictable and, even if they less than ideal for him, spoke well of his loyalty and care for his friend.

And Keith was one of the few real friends that Grayson had.

Correction: He was one of the two friends Grayson had accepted. Yes, he had reached out to Grayson but their romantic rivalry would lengthen that process—if friendship between them ever became possible.

John’s higher order mind began running scenarios about how positively he would react if Emi ended up choosing Grayson and was entirely unsurprised to discover his jealousy and possessiveness rising to choke off that line of thought.

No matter what the final analysis would have been, it was not a productive line of inquiry at this time.

John laid out his work clothes so that he had the option of summoning them rather than the clothes he was wearing now—clothes that would be more appropriate for his upcoming conversation with Grayson.

John looked at his uniform—his eye drawn to the pocket that held the Janus Mirror. There would be benefits to remaining in uniform during the conversation. He could maintain the more personal connection by removing his helmet. Or, of course, he could bind the Mirror to his uniform jacket and his sport coat in the same way his iPad Mini shifted back and forth.

The latter seemed the best option. That way, it would remain at hand no matter which scenario presented itself. Appearing in civilian clothes would appear less aggressive, deescalating what would likely be a tense conversation.

A couple minutes later.

Spoiler: We narrowly avoided missing that left turn at Albuquerque
    Show
    Teleporting to East Side: 1d12o12-1 4 1d6o6-1 4

As he and Keith materialized on the East Side roof, John wondered how much of a difference wearing a dark jacket and slacks instead of his uniform made to his overall look. At least his white shirt was less shadowy.

“Thank you for agreeing to speak to us this evening, Grayson,” John opened gently. “I’ve received clearance to go over some things with you which we began to speak of earlier.

“Perhaps,” he said summoning three chairs and an end table, “we should sit down.”

Spoiler: A place to sit
    Show
    Matter Control—three Adirondack Chairs: 1d12o12 14 1d6o6 5

A 14? Those are some comfy wooden chairs.

25. - Top - End - #265

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    “Don’t worry about it,” Drake replies to Keith as he moves to look out the window. While he does enjoy the view, he’s also keeping an eye out for anything out the ordinary.

“Aimee was preoccupied with a certain East Side hero,” Natasha says with a chuckle as she types away on her laptop. “I doubt she would have noticed. I had a great time Saturday. It was great getting to hang out with James for while and getting to see Nolan. Mr. Shaw was a little intimidating, but he’s very cordial and I got to sit back and mostly listen with he talked to James and Nolan.”

Her expression grows a little pinched as Keith asks how her week has gone. “It’s been… hectic. I have so much work and not enough hours in a day to do it. On top of that, I haven’t been feeling too well, so it just makes everything a little harder.”
    Keith nods as Drake makes his way over to the window and has Stolas appear from his shadow to fly over as he continues talking with Natasha. Stolas bows to Natasha as he flies over and lands on the window sill.

"A pleasure, Ms. Balinski. And pardon my intrusion, I am Stolas, and Keith's familiar." He projects to the editor before viewing out the window.

Spoiler: Stolas sees something? Maybe something shiny!
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8+4 9 1d6o6+4 12

Keith nods at Stolas and returns his attention to Natasha. He nods as she mentions Aimee being preoccupied. He remembered the conversation he had with her yesterday after the mayhem.

"Yeah, she asked me about him yesterday. Warned her I have some bias though, and probably got captured by Declan too. Which..... reminds me of something for someone else." He thought for a moment. His expression returns to a smile though hearing that Natasha had a great time.

"Glad to hear! Though I can't argue with you about Mr. Shaw being intimidating. Have a feeling I'm going to be talking with him some this week too." He shook his head. "Then again, he probably already knows."

As she explains the hectic week and not feeling good, Keith nods and takes a deep breath. Made him feel like this was a much better option since she hadn't been feeling 100 percent. "I'm sorry that you haven't been feelin' good. Wish I had healin' powers or somethin' to help though." He tilts his head at the stacks of paper. "Can only imagine the amount of work going through here too. Did you need any medicine or anything?"

His look was one of concern. Granted an extra stop could be dangerous in them escorting her home, it would be helpful.

Stolas looked over at him for a moment and shook his head before returning his gaze out the window.

”Master, please relax.” Stolas projected and then used their psychic link to privately share the next bit of the projection. ”I know you’re trying to plan another date and worried about botching the meeting today. But you must push the thought out of your mind and just be patient. Think of it as the old stealth mission you had to be on in the waiting game.”

Keith gave a side eye to Stolas and sighed. “Thanks, Stolas. Can count on you to keep me grounded.” He says before returning to Natasha.

“He helps me stay focused and not worry so much. That and to keep an eye on things too.” Keith looked guilty for a moment. “Mostly reminding me that I have to accept things I cannot change.”

Much later with John and at East Side!

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    Spoiler: We narrowly avoided missing that left turn at Albuquerque
    Show
    Teleporting to East Side: 1d12o12-1 4 1d6o6-1 4

As he and Keith materialized on the East Side roof, John wondered how much of a difference wearing a dark jacket and slacks instead of his uniform made to his overall look. At least his white shirt was less shadowy.

“Thank you for agreeing to speak to us this evening, Grayson,” John opened gently. “I’ve received clearance to go over some things with you which we began to speak of earlier.

“Perhaps,” he said summoning three chairs and an end table, “we should sit down.”

Spoiler: A place to sit
    Show
    Matter Control—three Adirondack Chairs: 1d12o12 14 1d6o6 5

A 14? Those are some comfy wooden chairs.
    Keith tilted his head as he arrived back at West Side from the escorting Natasha with Drake and went to see what John needed, knocking on his door as he arrived.

“Ready now, and just maybe a minute if I need to grab anything specific.” He said before noticing the teleportation circle under his feet. And a look of dread appeared on his face.

“Wait we’re tele–” He was cut off and felt all the twists and turns, even the off sided one near Albuquerque about making him feel like Bugs Bunny has taken him for a ride. On their appearance, he faltered a moment and looked over at the edge of the roof.

“Nope, still not used to that.” He managed before realizing Grayson was already there. He half waved before swaying a bit.

"Heya, Grayson. Still not used to teleportin'."

As John mentioned things he was cleared to speak of, he thought about what was happening. The challenge, the knowledge of their Halloween conversation, seems like they'd covered some of it earlier. He had to try and regain some trust…. No…. He knew that wasn't something easily mended. Was the teleportation and John's knowledge of his reaction to it a part of a trap? Or was he just here to act as a shield between the pair so a fight wouldn't break out?

It's what he deserved. And by now, he figured maybe more than he deserved. He looked between the pair.

"So then, what all is getting covered? Or has been?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Rooftop:

"For you, anything." Raphael says with a wink, squeezing her hand again for emphasis. "It shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, I'll make it not a problem."

His smile fades as Stella voices her unhappy thoughts.

He looks down at their hands for a moment and let's out a long sigh through his nose. He carefully untangles his fingers from hers and scoots closer, wrapping his near arm around her and seeking out her hand again with his free one.

Raphael rests his head against Stella's and says, "And deprive her of a sister as cool as you? I think that's cruel." He shrugs and continues. "I'm not going to pretend your family isn't in a rough spot right now, but I think you're all trending in the right direction."

"Look how badly you wanted to know about her. You don't think she wants the same? I promised we'd save your mom, and we did. We can solve the rest of this too, even if it takes some time."

The vampire pulls back a moment, so she can see his face. "If it helps..." he trails off, unsure of himself, before shrugging and continuing.

"If it helps. Just like you and West Side are 'mine.'---"

He pauses, considering. He reaches out and puts a finger on Stella's lips, hoping to forestall any outburst.

"So is he. And I will always protect what's mine."

The smile returns, and he doesn't hide his fangs from her. "Like I said earlier, I'm a very selfish person. I don't like to share."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Natasha’s Office, Keith
    Natasha glances up to give Keith a half smile after Stolas introduces himself. “It’s not really something that can be healed. I’ve just been having some serious nausea. I’ve been trying to deal with it without taking any medications, but I might just have to give up and talk to my doctor about it and get something to help me.”

Out the window, Stolas and Drake see nothing out of the ordinary. The small amount of traffic on the streets below is moving smoothly.

She nods in slight interest as Keith talks about Stolas and goes back to her work. “It’s always good to have that voice of reason in your ear.”

East Side Rooftop, Keith and John
    When they arrive at East Side, Grayson is seated on the edge of the roof. His feet dangle off the edge and he’s looking up at the clear night sky, stargazing.

He flinches as the two of them appear out of nowhere, startled out of his attempt to relax. With a shaky breath he turns, swinging his legs back over the edge so that he can hop down from the lip of the roof and make his way over to them.

“I-I’m a little confused,” he says. “What’s s-so important that we h-had to talk about it tonight? Emi had men-mentioned something, but…” he trails off.

While he’d normally at least smile at Keith, he barely looks up at him before he sits on the edge of one of the chairs that John conjured. “I know it has something t-to do with the dragon,” he continues quietly to answer Keith’s question. “But th-that’s all.”

Seraph’s Office, Terrence
    “I know we‘ve kind of thrown you into the deep end,” the angel replies. “I wanted to offer a quick explanation, if you want it. The team has uncovered some information about why we think the demons are attacking Iron Station and our current enemies.”

“To keep it simple, what we believe the demons are trying to do is summon the High King of Hell using ten demonic stones— the Stones of Vanuusha. These stones have somewhat of a will of their own and have been gathering in Iron Station.”

He turns his laptop so that Terrence can see the screen. A picture of a dark haired woman with amber eyes is visible. “We believe that Vibrato has been working with a man that’s been possessed by a Greater Demon, Matteo Boudreaux—“ he clicks to the next picture, a man in his late twenties with dark hair and eyes. “He’s the IT Operations Manager at Innovatech… and Stella’s older brother.”

The angel pauses. “Any questions so far?”

West Side Rooftop, Raphael
    Stella gives the vampire a watery smile, wiping her eyes carefully with her free hand. She leans forward and kisses him gently for a long moment before resting her forehead against his. “Thank you, mon coeur,” she whispers. “You’re right. We’ll figure it out. All of it.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-04-30 at 09:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    When they arrive at East Side, Grayson is seated on the edge of the roof. His feet dangle off the edge and he’s looking up at the clear night sky, stargazing.

He flinches as the two of them appear out of nowhere, startled out of his attempt to relax. With a shaky breath he turns, swinging his legs back over the edge so that he can hop down from the lip of the roof and make his way over to them.

“I-I’m a little confused,” he says. “What’s s-so important that we h-had to talk about it tonight? Emi had men-mentioned something, but…” he trails off.

While he’d normally at least smile at Keith, he barely looks up at him before he sits on the edge of one of the chairs that John conjured. “I know it has something t-to do with the dragon,” he continues quietly to answer Keith’s question. “But th-that’s all.”
    “I’m sorry to have interrupted your stargazing, Grayson,” John offered. “I’t a lovely night for it.”

Here goes, John projected to Emi—hoping something like confidence went along with it.

“To answer your question, Keith,” John began, also taking a seat, “I came to East Side earlier today for a dinner meeting, where I consulted with Dr. Riviera about some disturbing developments with our enemies here in the city. Those details, however, are for another time as they don’t directly impact what we are here to discuss.

“While I was on my way here earlier, Grayson returned from a trip, I believe, to a tract of forest owned by Myriad not too far from here.”

John took a deep breath, momentarily wondering how many of these kinds of conversations he was going to have to have. Yes, it was part and parcel of his magician-gig but he did hope it would get easier over the coming years.

He feared it would not.

Correction: He hoped it would not—that he would never lose the compassion for the pain of others that drove his sympathy.

“The reason you left, I believe, is a concern for my safety—which I am grateful for, Grayson. It speaks well of your commitment to heroism and the strength of your will that you have been able to contain your dragon’s feelings about me thus far, whether it was on or before the day of your departure or when you redirecting him away from my car earlier this evening.

“There is more, though. Based on my conversations with your friends, it appears that you have not been made fully aware of some of what formalities are associated with your dragon’s feelings.

“Dragons, like many creatures, are territorial beings. They make claims over territories, the resources within them, and the individuals that reside within them. In your case, the dragon has claimed the East Side quarter of Iron Station and the East Side Provisional Team.

“He has also claimed Emi as a potential mate. Hence, his desire to kill me as my dating Emi is an affront to his claim.

“It’s traditional among his kind in instances where there are rival suitors for there to be a challenge—often to the death. It must be proceeded by the formal issuing of the challenge, which could be as simple as a roar as he swoops in to the attack.

“It is my understanding that he has not shared this with you. I’ve also been told he has not shared with you his name.

John’s eyes fixed on Grayson’s—watching him closely for any signs of change as he shifted forward in his chair in order to keep his hand close to the pocket that contained the Janus Mirror.

“His name, Grayson, is Valèdir.”

“Given these revelations, everyone thought it might be for the best if you had a friend,” (Don’t say frenemy.) “or two nearby and the opportunity to ask follow up questions.”

29. - Top - End - #269

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Natasha’s Office, Keith
    Natasha glances up to give Keith a half smile after Stolas introduces himself. “It’s not really something that can be healed. I’ve just been having with some serious nausea. I’ve been trying to deal with it without taking any medications, but I might just have to give up and talk to my doctor about it and get something to help me.”

Out the window, Stolas and Drake see nothing out of the ordinary. The small amount of traffic on the streets below is moving smoothly.

She nods in slight interest as Keith talks about Stolas and goes back to her work. “It’s always good to have that voice of reason in your ear.”
    Keith tilts his head and nods, figuring it best to leave well enough alone. Of course Seraph would have already tried if she brought it up to him. He felt like an idiot for a moment.

Though that seemed to be the theme of the day. He hoped that theme wouldn’t linger too long though. He tore his thoughts away from Maeve again as he found them creeping up. Anxious over what she thought.

“Sounds like a plan then, hopefully something comes about from it.” He responded with a smile. Stolas turned around and nodded with nothing to report.

At Natasha’s response, he couldn’t help but chuckle and project to the room.

”Thank you for the kind words, Ms. Balinski. He certainly has a way of worrying about what can and can’t be done. And needs more certainty in other endeavors.” The raven would have grinned.

Keith looks over at him. “Tryin’ to take your advice now. Can’t help it considerin’ everything today.” He shrugged before looking back at Natasha. “It really is though. But I’m sure it’s giving him a lot to laugh about too.”

He grins a bit. “Probably shouldn’t be too used to a voice in my head like that, but East Side and working with telepaths and all.” He shrugged and then tilted his head at the clock. He chuckled a bit. “Guess if he wants, next time in certain endeavors he can take the lead.”

Stolas turned around from the window and shook his head. ”Nope, not so you can blame me then if things go straight to the ninth circle of Hell.”

Keith tilts his head seeing Grayson’s reaction and looks at the ground. If they had talked about the dragon and part of the challenge, then Grayson knew John’s knowledge of their talk the other night.

And that John knows about the dragon. Maybe even his name being Valèdir. Time like this, it would be difficult to even let Grayson know he hadn’t told John anything he didn’t already know. It would be hard to believe.

“So then he told you he knows about both.” Keith said with a sigh before taking a seat on the edge of a chair. He had a slight concern it might entrap him as well.

“Then, let me say that yesterday when he told me about some extended family, he already knew about our talk at the party. But that’s a conversation for later. The dragon though, how did-”

Keith shook his head. “Nevermind, that can wait.” He figured he didn’t want to know the answer right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    “I’m sorry to have interrupted your stargazing, Grayson,” John offered. “I’t a lovely night for it.”

“To answer your question, Keith,” John began, also taking a seat, “I came to East Side earlier today for a dinner meeting, where I consulted with Dr. Riviera about some disturbing developments with our enemies here in the city. Those details, however, are for another time as they don’t directly impact what we are here to discuss.

[shortened for length]

“It is my understanding that he has not shared this with you. I’ve also been told he has not shared with you his name.

John’s eyes fixed on Grayson’s—watching him closely for any signs of change as he shifted forward in his chair in order to keep his hand close to the pocket that contained the Janus Mirror.

“His name, Grayson, is Valèdir.”

“Given these revelations, everyone thought it might be for the best if you had a friend,” (Don’t say frenemy.) “or two nearby and the opportunity to ask follow up questions.”
    At John’s explanation, Keith tilts his head at first about the revelation of the enemy and sighed. “This is going to be hard to explain to Uncle in the morning…” He muttered considering his half sister was now in on everything it seemed.

At the mention of the forest Myriad owned, Keith looked over at Grayson. It wasn’t all too surprising that he had gone to a private forest to let the dragon roam for a bit, but that meant things were really bad for him to take off and return like he did.

At the rest of it, Keith’s eyes widened. He had heard a good bit about it the night before, but the entire situation still struck him.

He had essentially condemned John by trying to support Grayson. This wasn’t the area he expected to condemn someone to death by fire fight, but it happened the same.

Why does Ian have to keep being right about me…… He wondered, thinking back to being called a bad luck charm.

As John mentioned the name, and that Valèdir had not shared that information with Grayson, Keith kept his eye on his friend. His eyes were wide as well. It would be surprising for anyone to hear, even then realizing that Grayson wasn’t just hiding the dragon’s identity but that he had no idea about the name.

“So…. I have a question. If, and I do say if, it breaks out then what would be the terms of the challenge? I know to the death but….. What if any are the restrictions?” Keith looked between the pair again. “I don’t know a lot about dragon culture so there may need to be a crash course or a borrowed book.”

A teammate, well someone he considered a teammate since on paper they were a team of five according to Louis, and a friend that’s like a brother to him at odds. He needed to know more of how this challenge would work so he could plan. Either how to avoid it, or how to keep it from escalating.

Probably too late for that. He felt the pain from the earlier fights return too, but he deserved that. At least he felt he did.

30. - Top - End - #270

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    “So…. I have a question. If, and I do say if, it breaks out then what would be the terms of the challenge? I know to the death but….. What if any are the restrictions?” Keith looked between the pair again. “I don’t know a lot about dragon culture so there may need to be a crash course or a borrowed book.”
    John did not turn away from Grayson. Given the agreement he and Valèdir had struck, John knew he should be safe. Nevertheless, he felt he had reasons for concern. While not revealing either the nature of the challenge or his name were not lies, they were certainly sins of omission and spoke to a willingness on Valèdir‘s part to deceive Grayson—whether it was out of a draconic sense of superiority or a more measured condescension towards someone who was not living up to a standard the dragon expected.

That, however, was the kind of thing that the two of them could work out in a kind of couples therapy session. Right now, John was aware that his focus needed to remain on the small matter of life and limb that hung in the air.

“As I understand it, Keith,” John replied, “it is winner take all and the only limitation is that the challenger must issue the challenge before the fight begins. I have not uncovered any other limitations placed on the suitors. I am happy to report that the outcome of the battle places no obligations on the one being fought over.