New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tyrant's Grasp: The Dead Roads [IC]

Grum pauses at the entrance to the larger chamber and looks around before looking back to the others. "Its a larger chamber here. All the walls be about Roslar. Odd thing to be on the walls." he looks back at Helena, "You had some book learning Helena. What do you know about Roslar and Abdell?". He pauses, blade resting on his shoulder as he watches the larger chamber.

Helena looks up and nods, "Roslar. As in Roslar's Coffer?" she asks looking at the dwarf. She tries to wrack her brains to think of what she learns as she has a cursory search of the shelves in both small chambers. "Here, you three have a look for anything useful." She calls to the three brothers whilst looking at Gwen directly, "Can you help Grum please?" she asks nicely, feeling suspicion that the brothers are not used to this type of place whilst Gwen seems more worldly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Grum holds and watches the room. WHilst considering what he may know
    Helena will do a quick search of each of the small rooms

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

(Only two brothers, the other is a friend...)

As Helena and Grum both hail from Roslar's Coffer (or spent a significant number of years there), they both know that Roslar was a paladin of the Knights of Ozem. Roslar participated in the Shining Crusade almost 1,000 years ago, where he died a hero.

Grum doesn't know this, but Helena remembers a rumor she heard, though she doesn't know if it is true or not. Roslar was enamored with Arazni, the angelic Red Crusader, herald of Aroden and patron saint of the Knights of Ozem.

Gwen goes and stands next to Grum. "We have red glows that way," she says, pointing (to the relative south).

Meanwhile, Helena is about to "supervise" but finds that whatever the three men are or are not used to? Doing a search of a musty tomb seems to be about de rigeur for them as a master mason putting mortar on bricks. Joey actually stands back with the light, guiding them, but they seem to have a way of doing things together that says they are used to this kind of thing. And in fact, DEFINITELY use to looking through places like this with more alacrity and skill than Helena. Of course, the dead are buried in a place like this, which gives her pause, but to them, it is just a work site.

Among the rags and shelves of that first smaller room, they find a very fine heavy mace. Lacking any weapon, Joey holds onto that. The rags also hid two very tiny pearls (value TBD).

A small alcove on the east wall of the hallway contains a few stone shelves: a dozen candles; a silver holy symbol that Helena recognizes is that of the dead god Aroden; an engraved, decorated, polished stick; five small vials of similar fluid; and a satchel.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Grum glances at Gwen and nods. ”Aye it be glowing a treat. But be wary o’ a trap.” he’ll mutter as he looks back at the others. He keeps his blade ready and then casts a minor prayer and looks about searching for magical auras near by (Sweeping south west then round to the east)

Helena looks at the three men, ”not your first time looting a tomb”? she asks wryly before asking ”Shall I have a look to see if it’s of arcane significance?” As she peers at the fine mace and the vials with magical senses.

Show

Grum casts detect magic and looks SW, S, SE, E, NE whilst waiting

Helena cases detect magic to look at the loot the boys found and if needed spellcraft to ID them

As she works she speaks about Roslar and Arazni sharing what she knows
    Last edited by DrK; 2023-04-28 at 05:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

"Hey, we're not tomb-robbers," says Drake defensively with a growl. "Items in a coffin or sarcophagus are sacred. Stuff hidden in dropcloths and lying around on shelves when it looks like the owners aren't coming back are fair game."

"Mainly," Sal interjects more calmly, "we've found that to get to a ghost's corporeal remains so we can salt and burn them, they haven't always been obvious to find. So, it's just something we've had to learn to do. Stomach the smells and look through the leavings. But neither one of us compare to *sigh* Joey there."

"I think at this point," says 'Joey,' "it's pointless to keep up the charade. We're not on Earth, so it serves no point. My real name is Camael. Joey Novicki is the name of the man whose body I inhabit."

Helena, any comment to that before you cast your loud spells (or Grum, for that matter, since sound carries off the stone walls)?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-04-28 at 06:04 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Helena looks confused, ”I’ve not heard of a place called earth. Where is it?” she asks and she kneels down to look at the vials and the stick before casting her spell.

Show

Neither Helena or Grum are making a special effort to be quiet so will cast their detect magics

6. - Top - End - #36

"As everything began with Gwennid's observation," says Camael, "a different dimension than this one. I cannot possibly give you a sense of 'where' when occupying a different dimension relative either to the one you originate from, or the one we inhabit now."

Helena casts her spell. The mace that Joey Camael wields, though a finer-crafted "real" weapon than any possessed by the party, is notable only for its craftsmanship, and not only dweomers. As one might expect, the engraved stick seems magical, as does the liquid found in each of the five vials. You have no idea what aura you are reading from the wand, other than that it is faint. The vials, on the other hand, are very clearly potions of cure light wounds (faint conjuration).

Grum does his magical sweep (as delineated), finding no magical auras.

Gwennid calls out. "Sal Windchaser?"

Sal comes out of the alcove and there's a slight body shuffle as people moved around the cramped space and hallway in that area, waiting to see what Helena tells them of the magic she had cast. "Yeah, Gwennid?"

Gwennid looks down at the floor, and along it for a second or two before looking back at him up at him. "How did you know?"

"Know what?"

"That danger lurked beyond the door?"

"I don't understand."

"Grum had just turned the knob, hadn't barely pushed it open, but you already moved forward with your bow. I was behind you, and I thought it strange."

"Oh, just a trained hunter's senses."

"Oh, that's grand."

Meanwhile ... "Helena, you and Grum both cast spells looking for magical enchantments. Your expression tells me you found something. I'm guessing two somethings ... definite wand and possible elixirs."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

At Gwennid and Sal’a exchange Grum grumbles ”If he knows where the beasts would be he can open the doors.”.

Back in the chamber Helena nods, ”Yes, the wand does something, though I’m not sure what but the potions are restoratives, if you drink them or pour them on a wound they will help. Shall we each take one?” she suggests as she offers a potion to the other 5 leaving herself out.

As she walks up to Grum with a potion the dwarf shakes his head, “Nay lass. You keep it. I do have me own ways of healing. Gorum helps those who be brave in battle.”
    As he is joined be Helena he does glance at the 3 strange men. ”Keep a wee eye on ‘em lass, they ain’t from near here and who knows what they want.” Helena nods, ”I will but they seem trustworthy. Could you look at the wand Grum?”

Grum nods. ”Lets have a wee gander eh?” as he grasps it to see if he can recognise it. Once that’s done he’ll point out the glow, ”Someone watch that glow I’ll go this way.” and he stomps to the east sending a light more 10ft ahead of him, leaving the second near Sal’s head.

8. - Top - End - #38

He's more lost than she was as to the wand's function.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Grum tosses the stick back to Helena before stomping east in the room to explore, a mote lighting the way for everyone else.

10. - Top - End - #40

Of course, Grum only goes 10' due east before he gets to a curious body in the middle of this great hall. The body seems to have had metal limbs, and the body is mutilated and shows acid damage.

Camael, who took the healer's kit and slung it over his shoulder asks, "Do you mind if I come up and have a look at the body?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-04-29 at 09:21 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Grum pauses and looks over the body shrugging. "Ain't nowt to do with me..." he mutters as he moves past the body. "I've seen plenty o'death before one more body ain't that special." Walking past the body he heads to the far east end of the room to see what other ways in and out there is.

Helena follows Camael curious to see the body. Looking down at the mess on the floor she wonders, "I wonder what it was.." she asks to the room at large. "Are you a healer Camael?" she asks curiously.

12. - Top - End - #42

"Of course," he says matter-of-factly as he knees down to look at the humanoid corpse, following that up with no special emphasis and no particular interest or pride, "I am an angel of the Lord."

Helena hears the sound of two different palms, each hitting a forehead behind her. She looks back to see Sal and Drake giving her goofy "don't mind us" grins while shrugging, their hands in these curious flaps that exist about their clothing.

Camael sets down the lantern and puts the mace in the long folds of the beige coat he wears.

Meanwhile, Grum walks to the far eastern end of the room, just outside another room. The stone walls of this room are carved to resemble hanging draperies framing a large dais. Upon the dais stands a large sarcophagus, its lid carved to resemble a sleeping knight with long hair and a wide mustache. This room carries a faint nauseating odor, like putrefying meat.

As he gets an initial once over of the room, over by the body, Camael says, "This is strange. The victim wasn't wearing metal; they were metal. Sal, can you come over and tell me what you see?"

Sal walks up along the northern wall, while Drake looks around the place to the south.

Surprise Round ...

S18: Something skitters out from inside the body to zoom into Helena's space before coiling up almost snake-like but with countless feet to bite Helena in the right knee 1 NL + 1 acid.

S17: Camael takes out the mace, ready for battle.

S15: Sal, who is weighed down by his pack, steps back and drops his pack off his shoulders, while getting ready to shoot his bow if needed.

S13: Grum had heard the faint scraping of feet first, but only turned around to see the battle in 1-1/2 seconds mid-progress. The body is so lacking in core materials due to mutilation that it does not count as difficult terrain. This is a surprise round (so MA or SA but not both). What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-04-29 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Grum turns hefting the juggernaught blade and stride to beside Helena waiting to strike at the beast…

Show

Move 20ft to be adjacent to Helena

14. - Top - End - #44

S13: Grum turns - hefting the juggernaut blade - and strides nearer to Helena, waiting to strike at the beast.

S8: Drake steps up and tries to curb stomp the thing, but misses.

End Surprise Round, Begin Round One ...

R1T18:
    The ostovite - for it is another one of these bug creatures - bites Helena in the foot, this time for 1 NL + 5 acid.

R1T17: There is the sound of flapping wings and from a position now flanking with Grum, Camael just manages to tag the creature, but tag it he did for a crunchy 16, though it is still active.

R1T15: Sal takes his knife and does some type of special knife attack that strikes for 2 + staggered.

R1T13: Grum, Helena was attacked so quickly and viciously that she still hasn't her wits about her (nor has Gwennid, for that matter). What do you do?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Grum spins for a second to look for the flapping wings and eyes Camael for a second before snarling and going to crush the one attacking Helena as she squeaks with pain from the acid. Hefting the blade he shifts it into a defensive posture and swings down as hard as he can.

Show

Risky attack: (1d20+8)[20] dam (2d6+10)[16]
    Swift: enter Vigilant keeper stance

Did not include flanking

Last edited by DrK; 2023-04-29 at 01:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

R1T13: Grum spins for a second to look for the flapping wings and eyes Camael for a second before snarling as Helena squeaks with pain from the acid. Hefting the blade, he shifts it into a defensive posture and swings down as hard as he can, splattering the magic bug.

Combat Ends!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Grum snarls and kicks the remains away and nods to Helena. Be wary looking at bodies eh?” he suggests as he looks at her burns. ”Let me look at the burns eh” he suggests but she shakes her head

I am okay Master Grum, but thank you. It just took me by surprise.” She adds. Examine the bites on her calf she passed a hand over it muttering an arcane phrase or two and the wounds start to close up

Show

Spend a 1st level slot and an arcane point to cast cure light wounds (1d8+3)[4] hps

She the examines the strange body, a general Has anyone seen such a thing? As she looks at it and picks at the bits carefully. After that she rises and straps her buckler onto her arm. Better safe than sorry in this place.” she adds.

Grum gestures at the door to the NE, Drake, you want to have a look in there with me. Can Sal look after Gwen and Helena?” he suggests as a mote of light floats towards the door of the room to the north east corner.
    Last edited by DrK; 2023-04-30 at 11:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Camael observes Helena and says, "You healed yourself, but with arcane power. You're a white mage, aren't you?"

He asks this as he and Sal and Helena (and Gwen looking around) study the remains of the being. Other than determining the creature seemed to have skin of metal, its insides have been scoured out by acid and it is hard to determine what it might have been. Nobody has any working theories.

Drake follows with Grum into what appears to be Roslar's sarcophagus room. "That smell is rank!" he says. "That's not old death, that's new death ... decomposition. But the sarcophagus looks firm, so what the hell are we smelling?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-04-30 at 10:44 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Helena looks at Camael, "I am surprised you know that term Master Camael" she says but nods. "But yes, I have learned some basic healing arts in my training. This is a strange being, one that I have never seen before." she straightens, checking the buckler once more and looking around. "Have a care Grum, Drake, there may be more of these ostovites waiting to pounce."

Grum looks at Drake, a quiet, "Slip of a girl with a few wee years of training and she be giving me advice..." he grumbles more as he moves to explore the alcove housing the sarcophagus walking around it before looking at the lid, "Head or tail Lad?"

20. - Top - End - #50

"Hold on a second," he says, taking out that machete of his. He seems to be following his nose. Once he gets to the eastern wall, he peers in between the end of the sarcophagus and the wall before calling out, "There!"

Begin Round One ...

R1T27: Sal hustles into the eastern room while taking out his bow.

R1T21: Camael picks up the hooded lantern and heads that way as well.

R1T19: With Drake blocking the way south, a creature slithers out from behind the wall. It resembles a Small snake, but it has absolutely no flesh remaining and is just bone. Its entire body is made up of overlapping bony plates, and its eyes are pinpoints of red light. It slithers down the stairs and right up to Grum, darting at him to bite him.

R1T11: Grum, what do you do?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looked at the bone snake and leapt at it ”Die ye foul beastie!” he shouts as he swings hard it’s head the steps back west to counter if it attacks him

Show

Attack with risky attack (1d20+8)[13] dam (2d6+10)[18]

If attacked AoO to counter from warding form (1d20+6)[15] dam (2d6+11)[18]

-1 to hit from lack of furious focus
    -1 to hit as shield not sword end end (amp no weapon focus)
    +1 dam from Warding mode Essentia
    Gain THP (max 15)

22. - Top - End - #52

R1T11: Grum looks at the bone snake and leaps at it, shouting, ”Die ye foul, beastie!” as he swings hard at its head, his blade just barely tipping off of its bony skull.

R1T10: Helena, what do you do?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Helen hears the commotion and darts forward. ”Blast, more ostovite.” she grumbles without being able to see what is happening. That changes as she reaches the doorway, what is that!” followed by the twang as she launches an arrow at it.

Show

Swift: Stance piercing rays
    Move: 20ft, 4 squares east 1 square south
    Standard: silver strike risky attack
    (1d20+6)[24] or (1d20+6)[22] dam (1d6+4)[6] + (1d6)[3] fire
    * not included Point blank shot

Free: Armigers mark on target

24. - Top - End - #54

R1T10: Helena hears the commotion and darts forward. ”Blast! More ostovite,” she grumbles without being able to see what is happening. That changes as she reaches the doorway, "What is that!” followed by the twang as she launches an arrow at it. The arrow strikes the bone snake for 2 mod + 3 fire. A fine shot, and one hopefully that will get it to focus on her.

R1T7: Drake comes around the side while taking out his pistol and says, "It's a bone cobra - ain't a ghost, but a cheap form of guardian, like a bargain basement sale version of an iron cobra. Careful, the bite on this guy is gooey and cause you to start getting stuck to things."

He levels his arm directed at the bone cobra and then the most obnoxiously loud report you've ever heard erupts from the end of his gun, belching a little bit of smoke and seemingly spitting a little fire.

Once the sound dissipates, because people were wincing with eyes shut, the bone cobras shattered body is all that's left.

Combat Ended!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Grum jumps and spins, looking at the metallic weapon. "Torag's iron arse what be that!" he bellows rubbing at his ear and nodding to Helena. "Not seen an strange beast like that either. But what be that?" he asks again gesturing at the gun in Drake's hand.

Helena likewise lowers the bow after jumping in surprise. "Is that magic or alchemy? A true marvel" she adds before stepping closer to the sarocphagus. Casting a divination she looks around for any magical auras in the chamber and then glances north and south. "Which do you want to look at next?" she asks more widely as Grum explores the room around the sarcophagus.

26. - Top - End - #56

"Mechanics?" says Drake, collecting his brass and holstering the gun.

As Sal walks in he says, "Assume it falls under 'alchemy.'"

Drake goes to the foot of sarcophagus and looks to Grum. "Ready when you are."

Grum, if you take charge of turning the lid of the sarcophagus, make a STR check.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looks again at the gun and shakes his head. ”Its nae a sky citadel lad.” before nodding and helping with the lid

Spoiler: Str check
    Show

(1d20+4)[12]

As the dwarf and man struggle with the lid Helena looks at Sal, ”Mechanical? Is that a word you use for crafted or made? It’s not a term I’ve heard before? she asks, smiling innocently as she is still trying to figure out these 3 strangers

28. - Top - End - #58

Grum and Drake make no headway on the lid. Drake takes out the crowbar and says, "Okay, I'll try this time."

Grum, roll a STR check for an Aid Another action.

Meanwhile, Drake looks at Helena oddly and says, "Mechanics? You don't know that word!? C'mon, lady. Mechanics. Machines, engines, pistons, moving parts and all that?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looks at the crowbar and nods, "Aye lad. Its well stuck on." spits o his hands and tries again

Show

Str Check (1d20+4)[16]

As they do that Helena shakes her heads, "Pistons and engines... these are words i've not heard of. We have machines, like a loom, a watermill and the like. But they are big with wood mainly and no so fine as that, and none that I know of that make fire like that small one. Maybe this is why your home doesn't need as much magic?"" she asks watching them strain at the lid.
    As they do that she returns to the entryway to spread some light to the central chamber looking at the doors to the north and south to make sure nothing slithers or crawls out.
    Last edited by DrK; 2023-05-01 at 05:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Drake focuses more on the sarcophagus lid, but with his Grum's help (and Sal came to help, too), with the crowbar they are able to turn the lid to look inside.

The sarcophagus is empty.

"Hey, powderkeg," says Drake to Grum, "Can we get that nimble little will-o'-wisp of yours down here inside the sarcophagus I want to try to look at these carvings."

"Refectory," says Sal, with a tone of obvious correction.

"What!?" asks Drake more annoyed by the tone. "A refract-a-what?"

"Refectory," Sal says again. "A sarcophagus, by definition, has a body in it. A refectory is that which is made like a sarophagus ... but either never has, never intended to have, or currently does not have ... a body in it."

Drake gives him a dark look and shakes his head. "Such a frickin' nerd," before he turns around to Grum and gestures at his dancing green glow in the corner.

Helena feels something holding lightly onto her sleeve, and looks down to see Gwennid holding onto Helena's sleeve gingerly for emotional support while also eyeing the rest of the vast room with her as well.
    Show