New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Starbuck's Pathfinder- Wrath of the Righteous IC

For several weeks, excitement has been building in Kenabres—Armasse was coming! Traditionally an opportunity for scholars and priests to come together to study the lessons of history from wars past, since Aroden’s death, this holy day has become more about training commoners in weaponry, choosing squires, and ordaining new priests. Over time, Armasse has grown to encompass jousting competitions, mock duels, battle reenactments, and other festival events. In Kenabres, the festival is eagerly anticipated, for it provides distractions from the horrors of being on the front line of the war.
    Smiles on faces normally marred by downcast eyes and furrowed brows do wonders for city morale in the weeks leading up to the event.

Armasse is a citywide celebration, but the majority of the event, including its jousting matches and other entertainments, takes place at Clydwell Plaza, just west of the cathedral. Tis here where the tale begins..with our aspiring heroes in attendance lucky enough to get good spots to observe the opening ceremonies at noon

Armasse officially began at noon, with the blessing of the festival by Lord Hulrun himself, ruler of Kenabres. The crowd gathered in Clydwell Plaza quieted as the aged inquisitor took the stage, clad in shining, resplendent armor. He cleared his throat, but just as he was about to speak, a bright light shone from the west, as if the sun were rising from the wrong direction. Hulrun’s shadow fell huge and distorted across the cathedral’s facade. A moment later, the sound of a thunderous explosion ripped through the air and earth, along with a violent tremor.

To the west, the fortress known as the Kite—the location of Kenabres’s wardstone—had vanished. In its place, a brilliant plume of red fire, lightning, and smoke erupted into the heavens. A moment later, a powerful roar accompanied a welcome sight rising from the crowd—Kenabres’s greatest guardian, the ancient silver dragon Terendelev, who had until that moment been attending the opening ceremony disguised as a human.

Above, another form appeared, as nightmarish as the dragon was breathtaking. A humanoid shape three times the size of any man, with skin coated in fire and lightning, gripped a flaming sword and whip. The creature’s identity was immediately obvious: Khorramzadeh, the Storm King of the Worldwound, had come to Kenabres!

As the ground continued to shake and disgorge demons into the streets, the dragon and the balor lord clashed above. The fight was over in a few harrowing moments, as the balor cut deep into Terendelev’s body, swooping down to strike the dragon and arresting her charge. A few more blows, and the titanic duo spiraled downward toward the crowd.

The sight of the dragon smashing into the facade of the Cathedral of St. Clydwell is one no witness would ever forget. At that moment, a titanic demon erupted at the far end of the plaza, reducing several buildings to ruins as it smashed into this world. The rift it created shot across the plaza, and this time there was no escape—it opened below your feet, angling away into darkness. Even as you fell, the dragon noticed your plight. Though she saw death standing over her, she seized this final chance to save a few more souls. After she uttered a few arcane words and stretched out a bleeding talon, you felt her magic take hold of you, slowing your plummet into the darkness as if you were feathers falling into a pit. Yet the fall remained as inexorable, and as you drifted downward into the depths, the last thing you saw was the Storm King standing before the ancient silver dragon, his sword lashing out and cleaving full through her neck. As her severed head fell, the rift above you slammed shut, and the light of the world above was gone.

Darkness....

You find yourselves awaking in darkness, and for some fuzzy black and white, painful throbbing in your heads, ringing ears, troubled breathing....
    And here we go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Starbuck's Pathfinder- Wrath of the Righteous IC

Arakiel stood up. It was dark, and… oh gods, Terendelev…

He took a few calming breaths. It was no use to worry to much. He could do nothing for the dragon… but maybe he will be able to help a few lost souls.

His head erupted in a light halo of golden color, in which he tried to penetrate the all-encompassing darkness. In this light, the face of handsome, quite tall man with black hair and brown eyes was visible. He was wearing an armor, had in his hand the holy weapon of Serenrae. He had a light beard, too, as if he didn’t shave for a few days.

- How is everybody? - he asked, his voice shaking with emotion. It was still hard to get rid of the terrible scenes that happened just mere moments ago.
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2023-04-28 at 09:59 AM.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina opened her eyes, blinking, body aching and looked upwards. She couldn't believe it, the nightmare of Terendelev's fall and no doubt the rest of the city. She reached down to her waist and grasped the hilt of her blae, a comfort in the darkness. At the sound of a voice she sat up slowly, "I am here," she said softly, then offering a prayer to the inheritor a halo of cool golden light flared around her brow to allow her to look around the immediate area.

Rising she looked to the other source of light, a man like her encircled with a halo and she nodded. "Greetings, I am Zarina. Was it real what we saw, I had hopes it was but a nightmare."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Zarina
    Female CG Azatatouched (Aasimar) Swashbuckler , Level 1, Init 4, HP 11/11, Speed
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 16, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Finesse Longsword +6 (1d8+4, 19-20)
    Finesse Dagger +5 (1d4+1, 19-20)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Mallory's eyes adjust to the darkness and then the angelic light, but after a moment he also responds aloud.

"That's three of us, then, at least. But I think I see others here too." He sighs at Zarina's mention of a nightmare. "I know, I can't believe Kenabres has finally fallen."

He pats himself down slowly, taking stock.

"It figures - I'd tried to always stay one step ahead of the demons but now they're here, today of all days. Demons just can't stand a celebration." He swears in Elven, though it is an un-elf-like curse.
    "The words are all around but the words are only sounds, and no one ever seems to listen.
    Instead, they'll say, 'How could we have known?'" - Jack Johnson
    Currently playing as:
    Polina, Goliath Drakewarden
    And a Heroforge link for her:
    Polina Gibson

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

A pair of red eyes gleam in the darkness, the impression of danger only furthered by the long white horns sprouting from the person’s brow. As the twin halos of the Aasimar’s illuminate the small group, the eyes are revealed to belong to a small tiefling, one who by height and looks could be placed as a child. And then she opens her mouth, and a stream of dock-sider invective spills forth, impressive in duration and inventiveness alike.

She pauses to take a breath and lets it out slowly. ”Never thought I’d be seeing the Silver Lady bite it. Nor that she’d use her last moments to save a bunch of wretches like us. You all - any injuries? I’m no cleric, but I can set a bone or bandage a wound. Fair warning, I don’t have the moonshine to dull a bone setting, but I have a piece of leather you can bite.”

Show
    Melisandre uses her darkvision and the light of the halos to check where we’ve landed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Just another lovely day in Kenabres. Well, that was a lie. This was definitely different, in a not-very-different-at-all sort of way; the constant threat had just breached a place it wasn't supposed to be able to breach, is all. The diminutive blonde rubbed at her face, grimacing from the throbbing headache in her skull; at least they were out of the sunlight.

"Ugh. This isn't exactly what I had planned for the day," Rozalinda said, smoothing her hands down her dusty garb. Blue-green eyes swept across the ground, and she seized her fallen pack from it, hauling it onto her shoulder. "Let's find a way out of here, boys and girls. We've got a city to take back from the demons, because I, for one, am not letting them just keep it."
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

- This is a noble goal. And I agree with the sentiment. But I do not suppose a few of us could do any difference - the Aasimar sighted heavily - By the way, my name is Arakiel.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

The elf looks around the cavern anxiously and nods in assent to Arakiel. "I'm Mallory. And I agree, at this point I'd settle for escaping to the surface and then escaping the city. I don't want to stick around a place where that balor might get us. As long as we're alive, though, we've got a chance. And at least I've still got my sword."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina nods. ”At least we all are armed, I do not know what lies down here?” she asks the others as she walks around the cave/cavern they appear to be in to have a look in the light of her hall. “I hope the city remains when we reach it once more.” she adds in a fearful voice.

Show

Zarina
    Female CG Azatatouched (Aasimar) Swashbuckler , Level 1, Init 4, HP 11/11, Speed
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 16, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Condition None

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

Larsaa shudders, still new to Kenabres and the crusade when this all happened, so much was unfamiliar to him - but the sight of a second dragon slain in so short a time unsettled the Kobold greatly. Unsure of who to trust, he still cautiously approaches the other rift survivors...

"Keeh! Count is one more a'least... friends?

Came t'fight, but not monsters like above... won't fly down here, will it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Amidst your conversation, "IOMEDAE HELP ME. Gods, my leg! AAAAuuuuuggghhh!!!" Your thoughts are brought back to the present. It's a woman's voice that's screaming. You're still in blackness though a few of you are lit by a halo, letting you see each other.

Melisandre's darkvision lets her see a short way from you are three figures that seem to have fallen in a more deadly area but still survived.

You can see a figure hunched over on the ground sitting, one knee brought up while the other leg lay flat against the ground. Twas a young woman in leather armor adorned with a few decorative studs, cut, dirty and bruised up like the others, however, there was a large pooling of blood around her leg that lay flat against the ground. She had short choppy black hair and pale skin with boyish handsome features. With her she carried a bow and a quiver with a handful of arrows.
    Finally, almost militarily, she calls off, "Anevia Tirabade, who are you folk?"

Next to her are two other fellows, an thin elven man and a fatter, more aged human. The elf is bleeding from his eyes-- it looks like a rock or two might have pummeled his head. "Ugh, I either had too much to drink or maybe need a little more... Will someone please light a torch?" He seems to be unaware that any halo is illuminating the areas. He gropes around for his staff. "It sounds like someone may have broken their leg. Follow the screams to her, and help her there... once she's okay I think I could use a bit myself. I'm Aravashnial, curator at the Blackwing Library... if it still exists... Oh, my...""

The fatter man was holding one arm grimacing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Mallory's darkvision aids him as he follows the voices and heads over to the injured folks. He scans around but says simply, "I'm not a doctor but that leg doesn't look good. Does anyone have bandages on them? I didn't bring any to the Armasse festival."

To Anevia he adds, "It might not be Iomedae but maybe Milani can help instead." He pauses and asks, "Can I touch your leg?"

Spoiler: OOC Heal check and Cure Light
    Show
    Mallory's heal for diagnosing things: (1d20+2)[8]. He will cast CLW for (1d8+1)[9] for Anevia if these seem like the sort of injuries that'd help with.

13. - Top - End - #13

Melisandre joins Mallory and snorts. ”That’s what your cloak is for. That leg looks bad, but your spell should do for now. Let me check you two. I’m afraid you might need a priest if you aren’t seeing light, let me check if your skull is leaking the important bits…”

Show
    Heal checks to dignose and help the other two.

Curator - Heal - (1d20+4)[12]
    Silent man - Heal - (1d20+4)[10]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Hearing the screaming Zarina darts towards the noise relying on her halo to light the way. She moves gracefully as she kneels beside the three others. "I am Zarina, do any of you know know where we might be?" she asks. Looking at the elf she pulls off a section of cloth from her sleeve and goes to rub his eyes, "Let me help. Can you see?"

Looking about at the motley collection of people she'll glance around the area illuminated by either of the glowing lights. "Can anyone see anything in this cavern that may be a way out?" As the others move to help as well (and seeing that the others are clearly more experienced at healing) she'll pace around a little moving to keep the newcomers just in the edge of the halo as she'll wander around to see what or who else may be here.

Show

Zarina
    Condition None

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGuy

"I am Larsaa... no healer, but I can be silent when I need be... if ts'the same for my new friends I'll search ahead for danger or for help, before we move any wounded morsels into harm's maw..."

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueWizardGirl

Rozalinde grimaced at the sound of the scream and followed after the others, her own darkvision letting her gaze through the darkness surrounding them. "I'm Roze," she offered in response to Anevia's question, moving through the ring of light and to its far side so she could focus her darkvision past them and into the darkness to watch for any kind of trouble approaching them, giving that they were making a lot of noise. "We should probably stick close to each other for now," she said, glancing in Larsaa's direction. "We've no idea what's down here, and I get the feeling most of us don't have any kind of night eyes so if you wound up in trouble we wouldn't be able to get to you quickly enough to help. We should face the dangers down here together; safety in numbers, and all that."
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Arakiel ran towards the curator of the library, seeing that the lady with broken leg got her own batch of help – Here, maybe this will help – he said, putting his hands upon the head and eyes of the elf and casting Cure Light Wounds upon them – Are you any better now?

- Ya fine? - he shouted to the human. He was not really sure if something was bad with him, but better check now than later, right?

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[2]

Last edited by Kaworu; 2023-04-30 at 10:26 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Mallory's heal check found nothing wrong but the healing spell seemed to end the bleeding of her leg. Melisandre fumbles with the bandages and is unable to tie them together.
    "Are you sure you've done this before?" Anevia says to Melisandre, " Yes, you can touch my leg. That feels better. But I don't think I can walk on it without something supporting it like a piece of wood?

Toward Roze, "Well met, we might be stuck down here for a bit I fear."

Zarina's elven ears can hear the distant squeaks of bats high above, disturbed by the recent cave-in and fluttering about for a safe place to perch. From the light of the halo, you can see the ceiling is very high above you.
    Aravashnial, " Wait, there is light? This is not good. The fall may have taken my eyes..."

"Thank you for the healing, but my eyes will need high level magic to function I fear, " toward Arakiel.

Toward Melisandre, "Appreciate that, it will help keep my mind off my arm at least. I am Gwerm, Horgus Gwerm. I was a noble before this fall. Dealing in this and that. You get me home quick as possible and I dare say I can be rewarding. Say a $1000 gold coins."

Rozalinde catches for a second a glimpse of a shadowy shape off in the distance. It's about the size of a horse. shape is all wrong... it looks like... possibly... an enormous spider? It crouches low to the ground, and is incredibly still, almost as though it's hunting. No one else has noticed, its squirming as if waiting for something.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

"Tsst, tsst," Roze hisses in a hushing sound, pointing into the darkness. "Big spider. I'm going to illuminate it. Briefly."

Her outstretched hand twists through the brief gestures required for the spell, and she hisses out the syllables that completes the formula burning in her blood. The magic missile leaps from her finger to streak towards the spider. "Probably best everyone gets their weapons," she calls as she looses the spell.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting magic missile at the spider.
    Magic Missile Damage - (1d4+3)[5]

20. - Top - End - #20

Melisandre snaps at Anevia as she fumbles with the first set of bandages. "Normally I'm working at a nice table with lamp light instead of in a cavern with a pair of halos, and I wasn't nearly murdered by a bunch of demons just a few minutes before falling into a cavern." the tiefling grumps, her sharply pointed teeth flashing. To the more polite and rewarding Horgus, she gives him a brilliant smile. "I'm sure for a thousand gold, we'll surely do our best, Mister Gwerm."

Their chance to show their skills comes quicker then she expects as with little warning as the human - Roze? launches a brillant spell into the darkness. The tiefling quickly produces a shortbow from under her cloak and strings it in practiced motions, stepping between the trio of wounded and the spider in the darkness. "Stay behind me!" she says, perhaps unnecessarily to the three. "Someone got a blade? Arrows aren't much good if the spider is in my face!" she calls nervously.
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2023-05-01 at 05:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateGuy

Larsaa holds up a glaive, albeit a bit of a shrunken kobold-sized one.

"A blade yes, but praps best for T'rblade's leg, I do my best work with arrows too."

He tosses it her way for use as a crutch if needed before firing an arrow after the magic missile to test the distance.

Longbow deadly aim (no point blank shot):
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    [roll]1d6+2[/roll]
    Last edited by Paddywagon Man; 2023-05-01 at 06:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

"Oh, thats a big spider." Zarina mutters then glancing at the blind elf and injured woman she runs forward placing herself between the injured and the spider and drawing her blade ready to slash at it should it surge forward. Secretly she hopes that just the bright halo will encourage it to scurry away as she doesn't fancy crossing blades with mandibles.

Show

Advance 30ft towards the spider
    Ready to hit it if it comes at me (1d20+6)[26] dam (1d8+4)[9]

Zarina
    Condition None

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Mallory takes just long enough to survey the situation that by the time he stands and draws his sword, it seems as though he may already be late to the party. Like Zarina, he moves to be somewhat between the threat and the injured people, though staying adjacent to Anevia. He waits to see whether the spider is frightened off or killed.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Roze's magical blast blows a hole in the spider and out pops some slimey wormey creatures about 20 ft close to you. Larsaa 's arrow goes wide.
    Everyone roll initiative

Enemy Init (1d20-1)[3]

25. - Top - End - #25

PirateGuy

Larsaa initiative (1d20+2)[12]

26. - Top - End - #26

Melisandre Init - (1d20+3)[18]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Arakiel's Initiative: (1d20)[19]

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PCs go first in Init (since you all beat the worms, you may go first in any order, we will treat previous actions as pre-battle), it is a mostly flat terrain with a few stalagmites littering the ground. The wormy creatures are within 20 feet of party.

Drool flows from their mouth and anger in their eyes as you disturbed their meal. Anevia still not yet leg fixed reaches for her bow just out reach, the Aravashnial is blind and doesn't react, and Horgus draws his jeweled rapier holding it out in fear toward the beasts.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Seeing the maggots crawl out she skips towards the worms and slashes out at the left hand one

Show

Move to left hand worm
    Stab it (1d20+6)[25] dam (1d8+4)[5]

Zarina
    Condition None

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Threat
    Show

(1d20+6)[24] dam (1d8+4)[8] extra dam