New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXIII: Seriously, how does anybody get anything done without a perso

There is a simpler way to test if the title will fit. In this case it is a few characters too long. Sixteen, to be precise.

I think Tarvek means "anyone important" when he posited that his success depends largely on his spy network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #962

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

Without too much loss of information, "Seriously, " and " personal" can be removed, saving 20 characters and leaving "How does anyone get anything done without a spy network?".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks Guys - I guess that's something to work through when the new thread is created (if, of course, that title wins...)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #964

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Without too much loss of information, "Seriously, " and " personal" can be removed, saving 20 characters and leaving "How does anyone get anything done without a spy network?".
    I'm Rockphed Istaria, and I approve this thread title.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the seneschal of mechanicsburg and Tarvek are built from the same mold?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm Rockphed Istaria, and I approve this thread title.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the seneschal of mechanicsburg and Tarvek are built from the same mold?
    I suppose, but Tarvek would wipe the floor with Van if they came into conflict.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Right a moment before an impromptu mob of Mechanicsburgers rushes Trarvek in defence of their seneschal. Van does not need to be as good of a fighter because he is in the middle of a town filled with fiercely loyal citizens and that includes Jeagers or various monsters.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #967

If they came into direct, personal conflict Tarvek is the superior fighter. Tarvek also might be subtler. However, while Tarvek is used to running a spy network, I don't think he has ever run a city. Van ran Mechanicsburg from a table in a coffee shop while hiding his very existence from all outside parties. They both have a significant portion of their power tied up in the network they are running.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

8. - Top - End - #968

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    If they came into direct, personal conflict Tarvek is the superior fighter. Tarvek also might be subtler. However, while Tarvek is used to running a spy network, I don't think he has ever run a city. Van ran Mechanicsburg from a table in a coffee shop while hiding his very existence from all outside parties. They both have a significant portion of their power tied up in the network they are running.
    It would be interesting to hear how much Tarvek helped/manipulated his father with the administration of Sturmhalten before Agatha came to town.

9. - Top - End - #969

SamuraiGuy

It would be interesting to hear how much Tarvek helped/manipulated his father with the administration of Sturmhalten before Agatha came to town.
    Like Gil, I think Tarvek was pure evil before the Foglios decided he made a good love interest.

EDIT: New Strip.

Ixtha doesn't appear to be completely dead, judging by his eyes. Can a Polar Lord regenerate in a time stop?

Title suggestion: "I've got so many notes!"
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2024-01-15 at 07:28 AM.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Title suggestion: "I've got so many notes!"
    Duly noted. The spreadsheet is filling nicely.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #971

SamuraiGuy

And another one: "It's for research, so it's OK".

12. - Top - End - #972

Agatha: "I can't put the staff down even for moment!" (Immediately displays Neena using both hands.)

13. - Top - End - #973
    Barbarian in the Playground

Agatha: "I can't put the staff down even for moment!" (Immediately displays Neena using both hands.)
    Well, she's obviously twirling and throwing it in the air like the world's most dangerous Majorette baton!
    (alternatively, "Well, that's what grafted biomecanical third arms are for, duh!")
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-01-19 at 04:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974

SamuraiGuy

Bang's forced bonhomie is probably obvious to Zeetha. That smile in panel #2 does not look friendly.

So, yeah, it's going down sooner or later.

Is it possible Bang has never seen Higgs in combat? Because she ought to know he can mop the floor with her and that her poisons are at best going to make him mad.

EDIT: Speaking of poisons - Bang offers Zeetha a bottle but does not take a drink herself.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2024-01-19 at 11:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #975

Bang's forced bonhomie is probably obvious to Zeetha. That smile in panel #2 does not look friendly.

So, yeah, it's going down sooner or later.

Is it possible Bang has never seen Higgs in combat? Because she ought to know he can mop the floor with her and that her poisons are at best going to make him mad.

EDIT: Speaking of poisons - Bang offers Zeetha a bottle but does not take a drink herself.
    As was just noted by Tarvek, Bang isn't going to poison Zeetha or stab her in the back. It has to be a full-on face to face battle.

16. - Top - End - #976

I wonder if it's some kind of truth serum.

Not that she would need it, Zeetha is happy to tell anyone and everyone the truth, and for dramatic reasons Bang will probably be the last person to hear it.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

17. - Top - End - #977

SamuraiGuy

Poison that kills her outright, no. Give her something that slows her down and ensures Bang wins - that, I think might be within a pirate's code of honor.

Bang wants to avenge her crew, not prove herself better than Zeetha. A battle where Zeetha realizes she's going to die and can't prevent it is better vengeance.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Bang wants to avenge her crew, not prove herself better than Zeetha. A battle where Zeetha realizes she's going to die and can't prevent it is better vengeance.
    Bang wants to avenge the loss of her real estate. The crews were idiots and she doesn't miss them.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #979

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Bang wants to avenge the loss of her real estate. The crews were idiots and she doesn't miss them.
    I am dubious about this claim. Ships are useless without trained crew.

20. - Top - End - #980

It's never been discussed in the actual strip, but Bang's ultimate goal is to reclaim her family's kingdom, after her mother was somehow overthrown. The pirate fleet that Zeetha wiped out was just a means to an end. (The print novels talk about this.)

21. - Top - End - #981
    Orc in the Playground

It's worth noting that Agatha has explicitly promised to murder Bang if she does anything to any of Agatha's friends. Which, when coming from someone who is both one of the world's strongest Sparks and the Heterodyne, is not something to discount or ignore.

I mean, she could still try and take a swing at Zeetha, but then she'd have to also deal with Agatha, which would then require surviving the homicidal wrath of Agatha's legions of monsters, friends, and allies.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    It's worth noting that Agatha has explicitly promised to murder Bang if she does anything to any of Agatha's friends. Which, when coming from someone who is both one of the world's strongest Sparks and the Heterodyne, is not something to discount or ignore.

I mean, she could still try and take a swing at Zeetha, but then she'd have to also deal with Agatha, which would then require surviving the homicidal wrath of Agatha's legions of monsters, friends, and allies.
    And it is very important to stress that Agatha made that threat very clear by actually getting a drop on Bang. Agatha has no problem with using underhanded tactics and does not consider fighting as fun, so when she needs to, she will use whatever works and preferably finish the fight before it even begins.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #983

I was wondering about the way Tarvek casually implied that Zeetha knew Bang was looking for a fight with her, in a way that didn't discount Zeetha being aware of the reason. Which she is ... probably not?

But given the constraints mentioned above (can't hurt/kill Zeetha, the Heterodyne will eat her) has this now just boiled down to "the most epic fight ever, just because"?

I mean, it would fit with Bang's current characterisation. She's no longer the monster/"maniac" as Gil described her in the beginning of the comic. I do wonder if they were intending to tie it back in with the breadcrumbs we got back then though, with Bang in the time window. It's not the first time the Foglios have let a character get away from them, just curious how they're going to spin it.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I was wondering about the way Tarvek casually implied that Zeetha knew Bang was looking for a fight with her, in a way that didn't discount Zeetha being aware of the reason. Which she is ... probably not?

But given the constraints mentioned above (can't hurt/kill Zeetha, the Heterodyne will eat her) has this now just boiled down to "the most epic fight ever, just because"?

I mean, it would fit with Bang's current characterisation. She's no longer the monster/"maniac" as Gil described her in the beginning of the comic. I do wonder if they were intending to tie it back in with the breadcrumbs we got back then though, with Bang in the time window. It's not the first time the Foglios have let a character get away from them, just curious how they're going to spin it.
    Assuming we still get to the "other side" of that scene some day, it should be noted that something's going to happen to Gil, he's wearing that outfit, and according to the print novels, he's gotten bigger and stronger. Maybe he's the one who changes mentally, not Bang.

25. - Top - End - #985

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post

Man oh man, I had forgotten that scene. Possible ways forward for Bang:
    1) Defeat Zeetha in a non-lethal way, call that satisfaction of her oath.
    2) Try to make it look like an accident, when Tarvek already knows what's up.
    3) Ally with someone powerful enough to protect her from Agatha, and do so without Tarvek knowing.
    4) Kill Zeetha, accept death.
    5) Kill Zeetha, try to take out Agatha.

Not to mention that she doesn't seem to know who Higgs is or what he's capable of doing. Would you like a near-immortal unstoppable elite fighter who can call on Jager allies, to want you dead?

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post

I haven't really seen anything to convince me Bang's not still a homicidal maniac. She's been given command, yes, but she still would prefer to kill people than talk to them - we saw that as recently as the island, which is about 1 or 2 weeks ago, in-strip time.

Assuming we still get to the "other side" of that scene some day, it should be noted that something's going to happen to Gil, he's wearing that outfit, and according to the print novels, he's gotten bigger and stronger. Maybe he's the one who changes mentally, not Bang.
    The one thing we know of that seems to make people bigger and stronger is being trapped in the Mechanicsburg time field - witness Vole. Or perhaps Gil drinks the Jagerdraught?

26. - Top - End - #986

The one thing we know of that seems to make people bigger and stronger is being trapped in the Mechanicsburg time field - witness Vole. Or perhaps Gil drinks the Jagerdraught?
    Vole got bigger and stronger because Jaegers get bigger and stronger as they age. More specifically, getting pulled out of the time stop caused him to experience hundreds or thousands of years of subjective time which caused him to mutate from being pretty human looking (albeit with blue skin and fangs) into a 12 foot tall monster with a tail and much more impressive fangs. As far as anyone can tell, the only Jaeger who doesn't mutate as he ages is Higgs.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Man oh man, I had forgotten that scene. Possible ways forward for Bang:
    1) Defeat Zeetha in a non-lethal way, call that satisfaction of her oath.
    2) Try to make it look like an accident, when Tarvek already knows what's up.
    3) Ally with someone powerful enough to protect her from Agatha, and do so without Tarvek knowing.
    4) Kill Zeetha, accept death.
    5) Kill Zeetha, try to take out Agatha.
    We've had mixed signals.
    1. Bang is expecting to get killed by confronting Zeetha. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20181026
    2. Bang may be having second thoughts. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20201002

Not to mention that she doesn't seem to know who Higgs is or what he's capable of doing. Would you like a near-immortal unstoppable elite fighter who can call on Jager allies, to want you dead?
    Bang definitely knows Higgs can fight, as he spent some time with Gil and Bang during the 2.5-year mirror jump doing just that. For one example: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20131125
    ~Xel

28. - Top - End - #988
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm guessing there's been speculation over the years as to the nature of the Huge Extradimensional Monster, and I've just missed it. And am having trouble finding in the forums via searches. Anyone know where such might be?

My wild guess: it's Agatha reaching through one of the time windows to deactivate the time stop.
    ~Xel

29. - Top - End - #989
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

30. - Top - End - #990

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xel View Post
    We've had mixed signals.
    1. Bang is expecting to get killed by confronting Zeetha. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20181026
    2. Bang may be having second thoughts. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20201002

Bang definitely knows Higgs can fight, as he spent some time with Gil and Bang during the 2.5-year mirror jump doing just that. For one example: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20131125
    Higgs is disguised in that strip, so it still remains dubious. Remember Higgs was surprised that Tarvek knew he was a Jager General. That wouldn't be surprising if Bang knew. Higgs' whole deal is the Hidden General.

In today's strip - I know Gilgamesh Wulfenbach has been artificially augmented even beyond what is typical for a high-level Spark. Granting that, I'm surprised Captain Sunhillow's side-eye in the penultimate panel didn't knock him flat. That mustache twirl has an air of menace.