New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: [5e] [IC] Chronicles of the Seven Kingdoms: The Secret Heir

Although hawking was the signature discipline of Falconsward Island, it wasn't the most competitive of games. In reality, it worked as a second talent show: Jareth brought in a red hawk and made it catch lures right before they hit the ground. Esther's bird remained perfectly still on her glove, standing unhooded and calm, while she leapt onto her saddle and burst into a gallop around the arena.

Edric, Reynard, Romily, both hedge knights, Aubin and Tauron chose not to participate in Falconry.

The winner was Esther Gryffen, and judging by the reception it wasn't the first time she had won the category. Her trophy was a new horse, an adult purebreed with a mane of gold, one of the many bred and trained by her House.

Twilight approached and the tourney was paused for the day. The lords and ladies formed a group to walk back to the keep, while some of the competitors remained in their tents.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-06-17 at 07:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tauron Greyjoy
    Half-elf Ranger 2/Rogue 4
    AC: 18 HP: 53/53 PP: 18 PIv: 13 PIs: 18
    HD: 2/2d10, 4/4d8, Conditions: none
    Favored Foe: 3/3 LR
    Combat Superiority: 4/4 SR
    Tauron watches the falconry competition with only mild interest. Horsemanship is impressive to him, but he thinks that falcons are of no great use, unless you could train them to hunt ravens and intercept communications, but he didn't see anything to suggest that during the tournament.

After the day's events, he walks back to the keep with the nobles. He spends his time chatting with them and trying to get them to open up about the island and any gossip or local politics.

He is looking forward to tomorrow. He would like to see how these islanders fare in a sailboat, and based on the sky it looks like a storm might be blowing in tonight which should make it even more interesting.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight to catch anything around him: (1d20+8)[10]
    Persuasion to get people to open up (1d20+8)[26]

3. - Top - End - #33

ElfWarriorGuy

Tauron was a man of the sea, a sailor before a noble - To a man like him, the new faces in Falconsward might become something between overwhelming and uninteresting. Although it didn't affect his etiquette, the ironman did not believe the nobles were engaging in any sort of gossip that might concern him at that moment.

The lords and ladies who attended the event formed a group to return to the keep. Lord Harron lead the entourage, sided by his lady wife and younger children, and his siblings trailing behind - All those old enough to sit a horse had their own steed, whether man, woman or child. Jareth, Esther and the other younger competitors remained at the arena, drinking and singing into the night, and Romily resumed her duty as captain of the guard.

Tauron engaged in several conversations on his way back to the Falcon Keep, and once there, at the sitting room where the lord of the castle and his closer associates shared a private supper. Observing them from up close, he could understand how the Gryffen clan was socially structured in three pillars: Lady Isabel and her side of the family, which included Lord Gideon Darry; Lady Sasha Gryffon, wed to Edric Tarth; and Lord Cedric, wed to Jocelyn Swann. Since Lord Harron listened to them all equally, they frequently argued among themselves as his councilors or ministers.

Now free of their children, the Gryffen siblings and their spouses allowed themselves a horn of mead or a goblet of wine. In the corner of the sitting room, an old woman played soft notes on a harp.

Show
    With such a high Charisma result, Tauron has the chance to interact with/observe the inner circle while they're potentially drunk and enjoying themselves. You can either talk to them word-by-word or just ask for a general description of your interaction

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    Reynard Blackwood and Esther Gryffen dominated the modality until Aubin landed several perfect shots in a row. Arrow after arrow, he aimed for the stramen's heads and dispatched them like sitting ducks. When the squires threw clay plates into the air, Aubin was the only competitor to hit the target three times, and even from horseback he delivered an acceptable performance.

His victory was clear even before the Archery event had come to an end. All competitors stood in line again, and Aubin was called before Lord Harron to receive his trophy. "Ser Aubin Oldflower, sworn sword of House Redwyne! You have displayed outstanding skills with the bow today. Archery is a traditional knightly discipline, and you Ser has proven your valor. Please accept this trophy: It was made by our finest craftsmen, from the trees of our very island."

The hunting bow was beautifully crafted indeed, decorated with floral patterns carved delicately onto the wood. Such a heavy recurve bow would require a strong back and a good set of shoulders to de drawn, and if used correctly, there was no game it couldn't take down.
    Aubin thanks Lord Harron and bowed before his competitors politely. When Aubin has the chance to go off and be by himself a bit, he admires the craftsmanship of the Bow. The Recurve bow is shaped much differently than his Longbow. The bow was smaller, but felt somehow stronger. Aubin tests the pull of the bow and realizes the pull is actually much harder than his Longbow. This bow would be excellent for combat on horseback. This being one of the gifts of Falconsward did not surprise Aubin since the riders of Falconsward have many years of experience in shooting from horseback and would have designed some excellent bows for riding. However, Aubin realized he could not keep the bow at full draw for as long as he could on his longbow as easily, making it less useful in siege warfare where coordinated archery fire is key.

The beautifully crafted recurve bow was slim enough and small enough that it may potentially be eligible for a Saddle Holster, allowing the bow to always be strung. Aubin made a mental note to see if such a thing would be available to purchase in the Falconsward market.

He tested the bow and realized the bow would fire the arrows just slightly faster and harder than the longbow, giving it a slight boost.

Spoiler: Aubin's Archery Competition Thoughts - private
    Show

Since Aubin was not anywhere near the first in the order to go when competing, he was watching each competitor carefully and was mentally taking notes, intending to write everything down in his chambers later.

1. Jareth (Ter) - Aubin was surprised by this performance. As the heir of Falconsward, Aubin thought that he would have placed a high importance on archery practice. If Jareth is typically a studious archer and good at it, then he may just have had a bad day. Either way, not the best look for the heir so far.
    2. Romily (Avg) - For someone making so much noise, her archery is average. She probably excels in close range combat
    3. Edric (Avg) - He is young and needs more practice. However, this is not a bad start for him
    4. Cedric(Good) - Aubin noted Cedric's skill with the bow. He would have to keep Cedric in mind for Falconsward's archery capabilities
    5. Corwyn(Ter) - He seemed like someone who would eschew the bow for the most part. I think he will be a fearsome opponent in the duels
    6. Reynard(Good) - He's the best archer so far in this competition. Leave it to a Blackwood to be one of the most talented folks in any event. He will be a fearsome opponent in most events I believe
    7. Hedge Knight #1 (Avg) - A good soldier who uses proper techniques but obviously doesn't dedicate the whole of their free time to archery
    8. Hedge Knight #2 (Avg) - Great form, could have been as good as Cedric if his release was just a little better
    9. Esther(Good) - Went After Aubin, this lady is just straight up talented at everything isn't she? She is a flawless horserider and even after seeing my performance, she was not the least bit intimidated. She did not lose her competitive spirit and Aubin was impressed by her. She has a tremendous amount of talent

lthough hawking was the signature discipline of Falconsward Island, it wasn't the most competitive of games. In reality, it worked as a second talent show: Jareth brought in a red hawk and made it catch lures right before they hit the ground. Esther's bird remained perfectly still on her glove, standing unhooded and calm, while she leapt onto her saddle and burst into a gallop around the arena.

Edric, Reynard, Romily, both hedge knights, Aubin and Tauron chose not to participate in Falconry.

The winner was Esther Gryffen, and judging by the reception it wasn't the first time she had won the category. Her trophy was a new horse, an adult purebreed with a mane of gold, one of the many bred and trained by her House.

Twilight approached and the tourney was paused for the day. The lords and ladies formed a group to walk back to the keep, while some of the competitors remained in their tents.
    Aubin watched the Falconry intently. He wanted to see what its uses were. He plans to talk to either Jareth or Esther after the tourney day is over to try and learn the basics of Falconry as far as information. The number of Falcons is something that Aubin is starting to believe that he needs to account for and learn everything that he can about. He thinks he will try to learn Falconry for himself if he can. He will see if either Esther or Jareth will be willing to teach him a little bit about it.

After the competition is over, Aubin stayed in the arena and approached Esther. He had one of his Voiceless Ears with him, a Voiceless that can hear and interpret on a conversational level (court interpreting requires special training in most cases). Whilst conversing with Esther, Aubin looks for any body language and clues that may help him to develop a working relationship with Esther. Aubin is going to try flattery and see where it takes him.

"Lady Esther, you are doing great in the competition! You were one of the best shots out of us all and the horsemanship I've seen from you is impeccable! For one so young to be so talented is always a good sign for the land and its prosperity.

If you would forgive me for asking but, can you teach me some basics of Falconry? After watching you and Jareth with your birds and having them be so disciplined and so obedient is nothing short of amazing and I want to learn how to have a relationship with birds like that. "

Spoiler: Rolls In case they are Needed
    Show

Passive Perception - 21

Rolling Persuasion to see the request for Falconry training will be received well
    (1d20+4)[9]

5. - Top - End - #35

ElfWarriorGuy

As night fell, the competitors shared wine and banter in the common tent, now mostly empty. A fire right in the middle of the tent kept them warm and cooked a rabbit for their dinner.

Jareth talked to the two hedge knights at a corner, sharing theories about the level of skill of the other challengers. Corwyn Darry talked to his sister Gideanne and her husband Reynard Blackwood by the fire. Esther was giving tips to the young Edric Tarth when Aubin approached them;

"Lord Aubin, while I appreciate your kind words, you were the actual champion of the event. If anything, I should be asking you for a lesson on Archery." She rested her goblet on a storage barrel nearby.

"Shall we exchange it then? If you can help me shoot straight, I'll take you to the mews and show you how to handle a bird. I'm already teaching my brother Lucas anyway. Falconsward will gladly lend you a ladybird or a sparrow hawk, but eventually you must acquire your own bird if you truly wish to learn our discipline ."

"Let us get started once the tourney is over, yes? I realize you must have your accounting to do... a couple of hours every morning is all we need to make progress."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As night fell, the competitors shared wine and banter in the common tent, now mostly empty. A fire right in the middle of the tent kept them warm and cooked a rabbit for their dinner.

Jareth talked to the two hedge knights at a corner, sharing theories about the level of skill of the other challengers. Corwyn Darry talked to his sister Gideanne and her husband Reynard Blackwood by the fire. Esther was giving tips to the young Edric Tarth when Aubin approached them;

"Lord Aubin, while I appreciate your kind words, you were the actual champion of the event. If anything, I should be asking you for a lesson on Archery." She rested her goblet on a storage barrel nearby.

"Shall we exchange it then? If you can help me shoot straight, I'll take you to the mews and show you how to handle a bird. I'm already teaching my brother Lucas anyway. Falconsward will gladly lend you a ladybird or a sparrow hawk, but eventually you must acquire your own bird if you truly wish to learn our discipline ."

"Let us get started once the tourney is over, yes? I realize you must have your accounting to do... a couple of hours every morning is all we need to make progress."
    Aubin considers the offer. After some consideration, he believes it to be a fair trade and heartily agrees

"I think I will gladly take you up on your offer of training in Falconry in exchange for training and practicing your archery.

I will admit that the idea of having my own bird in the future in order to truly master the discipline sounds challenging but very intriguing.

I think meeting in the morning will be most agreeable, we will nail down the specifics after the tournament. As for my accounting, thank you for reminding me, I think I would like to stop by the stables tonight before I retire to do a count of the horses. Would you be able to tell me where the stable is where the horses are being kept? This will also give me an excuse to give my horse, Muet a little bit of love!"

7. - Top - End - #37

ElfWarriorGuy

"So what they say is true: your steed shares your condition." Esther rubbed her chin, thoughtful. Aubin was used to that kind of expression, a mix of awe and curiosity; it was a common reaction for people who knew he was deaf but were surprised by how well he communicated. "This is quite impressive. In Falconsward we learn to value the bond between man and beast. For you to see your horse as an equal rather than a mere mount is worthy of our respect."

"About the horses... you may visit the stables and count our personal animals, but these are just a fraction of our herd. Most of our horses are kept on the other side of the island, out in the open field." Esther pointed vaguely to the east. "We have about forty animals here in the castle, plus a few hundred in the farms - But you'll want to sort out horse from foal, stallion from mare and garron from courser and count them separately."

"My lord father recently sold a good batch of warhorses to our friends in Storm's End. " She added. "So we might be running low on ready horse. I'm sure Lord Gideon has the bookkeeping if you need that to your accounting. He's married to my aunt Isabel."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    @Stone-Ears You may roll Insight to catch some body language when Esther mentioned Gideon and Isabel
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-06-22 at 09:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"So what they say is true: your steed shares your condition." Esther rubbed her chin, thoughtful. Aubin was used to that kind of expression, a mix of awe and curiosity; it was a common reaction for people who knew he was deaf but were surprised by how well he communicated. "This is quite impressive. In Falconsward we learn to value the bond between man and beast. For you to see your horse as an equal rather than a mere mount is worthy of our respect."

"About the horses... you may visit the stables and count our personal animals, but these are just a fraction of our herd. Most of our horses are kept on the other side of the island, out in the open field." Esther pointed vaguely to the east. "We have about forty animals here in the castle, plus a few hundred in the farms - But you'll want to sort out horse from foal, stallion from mare and garron from courser and count them separately."

"My lord father recently sold a good batch of warhorses to our friends in Storm's End. " She added. "So we might be running low on ready horse. I'm sure Lord Gideon has the bookkeeping if you need that to your accounting. He's married to my aunt Isabel."

Show
    @Stone-Ears You may roll Insight to catch some body language when Esther mentioned Gideon and Isabel
    Aubin listens intently to Esther and carefully looks for anything in Esther's body language that may help him to glean a little more information about Esther.

Spoiler: Rolling Insight
    Show
    (1d20+3)[11]

"Yep! Muet is also deaf and I love it. Before I had Muet, I had good horses. They were loyal, obedient, and strong but there was something....missing. There wasn't that connection between man and beast that would bring out the best in each other. It was more of a master/servant relationship.

That changed when I found Muet. He was wild and untamable. The men in my family had tried and failed to break him. Muet actually broke one of my uncles ribs and to this day, that uncle of mine still won't let me forget it. None of the things that my family did worked.

It wasn't until I came along and gave it a try that I figured out what we needed to do.

See, my family had been trying to approach him from the sides, figuring that would be the safest way to approach him. Normally this works for them and they can get on the horse and break him. But for Muet, he did not like anything approaching him from the sides. He would immediately do one of two things: run away if he was outnumbered or fight if there was only one person trying to approach him as my uncle did.

I tried just about the same thing my uncle did, but I approached him from the front. I got to about 15 paces away from him and then just sat on the ground, cross-legged. I think I must've confused the poor horse because he tilted his head and almost seemed to laugh, if a horse could laugh. Then he just stared at me for the next 15 minutes, it felt like days and nights to me but it was only a mere 15 minutes before he came forward and cautiously sniffed me.

I slowly raised my hands for him to see and I got up from my seated position so that Muet and I could stand man to horse and get to know each other. We looked each other deep in the eyes and saw something familiar. I slowly reached out to Muet with my palms outstreched wide, he sniffed my palm and kind of withdrew a bit before he allowed me to put my hand on him and get the rope around his neck. After that, it just took a few weeks to get him trained as my personal mount. We found out he was deaf a few days into successfully getting him back to our farm. He was sleeping and my Dad was trying to wake him by hollering at him but Muet would not respond until my Dad gently kicked him awake after thinking he was dead. Muet shot right up and was ready to go running anywhere but there because he wasn't used to being awakened that way. Dad narrowly avoided being trampled by him in the stall we were keeping him in. After that, Dad said he would never "work with that cursed beast again, I tell ya!" After that, I was the only one that really worked with Muet regularly.

The connection between Muet and I is something I can hardly find the words to describe. When we work together, it is almost as if he sees all the same things I do and more, he shares the same thoughts I do, and he fights every bit as hard as I do. He knows I will support him and I know that he will support me as well. It's hard not to respect him as an equal when he's done just about damned near everything to make sure to tell us he would only work with us on his own terms. We've been together many years now and he's still going pretty strong. "

Aubin smiles as he recounts his story of how he came by Muet. He takes a drink of his wine in his cup, finishing the cup and helping himself to another pour of the wine in his cup.

"I'm thinking about retiring him from combat though, and allowing him to just live a Stud's life in peace. I might continue racing him to keep him healthy, competitive and happy but I think he's had enough fighting after almost a decade. Once I find a suitable combat successor, Muet will move to living the good life back home in Arbor.

Part of why I was so interested in answering the King's call to come do the accounting was because I've heard that Falconsward has some of the best horses outside the Reach, and possibly even better than the ones in the Reach and though I've yet to judge that in its entirety. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the quality of the horses I've seen so far as well as their care.

Now as for the actual accounting of the horses themselves, I will need to work out the details after the tournament. I'm thinking I will need a few riders from amongst your ranks to help me with the accounting. We can discuss more later.

Thank you for referring me to Lord Gideon for the bookkeeping. I will need to arrange a meeting with him to see what he has in his ledgers regarding the horses you have here on Falconsward as well as details about the group that was sold to your friends in Storm's End. "

9. - Top - End - #39

ElfWarriorGuy

Esther listened closely to the story of Muet. An enthusiast horse trainer herself, she understood the inner workings of his methods and how he managed to tame such a beast.

"Most knights won't even name their horses so they won't suffer when they fall in the battlefield." She shifted her weight from one side to the other. "It will be interesting to see you in action; We have plenty of hot tempered stallions for you to show your skills. You see, we have a rule in Falconsward not to neuter our garrons. They grow more aggressive and territorialist, but an aggressive beast can still be tamed."

She sighed and lowered her shoulders when Aubin mentioned the manpower needed to help with accounting. "Indeed you'll need riders to herd so many horses. But you must discuss it with Romily, as she's a rather strict captain. As a rule, she won't move her men unless my lord father signs the order." She and Edric shared a meaningful look. "Romily is... hot-tempered, but dutiful. Sometimes to a fault."

Show
    Esther frowned slightly as she mentioned her aunt Isabel and her uncle Gideon, the Steward of Falconsward. Whether it was a small discomfort or a long lasting feud, Aubin couldn't tell - he only knew there was something off between Esther and them.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-06-25 at 01:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Most knights won't even name their horses so they won't suffer when they fall in the battlefield." She shifted her weight from one side to the other. "It will be interesting to see you in action; We have plenty of hot tempered stallions for you to show your skills. You see, we have a rule in Falconsward not to neuter our garrons. They grow more aggressive and territorialist, but an aggressive beast can still be tamed."
    Hmmm yeah, I do not ascribe to that line of thinking. Your horse is your partner in combat just as much as the man or woman next to you. I named my horse so we would have a better connection, so that we would fight as one.

Besides, what is the point of battle if there is nothing to lose or nothing to gain. Muet is every bit the warrior you and I are. If he should fall in Battle, it will be a Good Death. I would see him again in the Seven Heavens for both the Warrior and the Father love a valiant war horse to add to their hosts

She sighed and lowered her shoulders when Aubin mentioned the manpower needed to help with accounting. "Indeed you'll need riders to herd so many horses. But you must discuss it with Romily, as she's a rather strict captain. As a rule, she won't move her men unless my lord father signs the order." She and Edric shared a meaningful look. "Romily is... hot-tempered, but dutiful. Sometimes to a fault."

Show
    Esther frowned slightly as she mentioned her aunt Isabel and her uncle Gideon, the Steward of Falconsward. Whether it was a small discomfort or a long lasting feud, Aubin couldn't tell - he only knew there was something off between Esther and them.
    Aubin drinks the rest of his wine and pours another glass, his last of the evening.

I respect that. If it were so easy for an outsider, no matter how important they are in their own sphere of influence to just order your men around, it would point to abysmally poor leadership and weak loyalties.

I will inform Romily of my intentions to requisition her men and to secure the blessings of Lord Harron to carry out the accounting of the horses.

Aubin drinks half of his glass of wine.

Ok so, I thank you for your time and your answering my questions. Thanks also for agreeing to teach me the basics of Falconry. I look forward to learning the discipline.

I've now got a few items I'll need to work on.

1. I'll need to arrange a meeting with Lord Gideon for his records on the sale of the War horses
    2. I'll need to inform Romily about the requistion of her men in advance so we can arrange the accounting of the horses.
    3. I'll secure Lord Harron's blessing for the use of his men .

You have been most helpful Lady Esther.

Aubin stands and finishes his last glass of wine. He beckons to his Voiceless escort to get ready to leave with him.

I'm going to go see my horse before I retire for the evening to my chambers. If you will excuse me, I will take my leave.

Good Night Lady Esther

Aubin bows and walks, closely followed by his Voiceless escort. He visits Muet and gives the horse some love.

Aubin then walks back to his chambers, changes into his conmfortable night clothes and slippers and sits in the common room at the table, writing down the notes of the day which includes his thoughts on the tournament and listing the action items he will need to remember to follow up on after the tournament.

11. - Top - End - #41

ElfWarriorGuy

A few hours into the evening, Lady Alysanne detached her arm from Lord Harron's and made for the far side of the sitting room, by the table where Tauron was helping himself with appetizers: sturgeon pastries, grilled cheese, lemon cakes and other fine dishes.

"I hope you are finding your first day in Falconsward pleasant enough, Lord Greyjoy. It is quite a surprise to see one of your House sailing at this side of the continent." She picked a lemon cake and inspected it absently before putting it down. "When we received word that emissaries from King's Landing were to visit our island, we thought Lord Tywin might be sending his own men. Our Lord Hand is good to the realm, but can sometimes be too.. truculent, if not belligerent. Instead, you three have brought nothing but friendly faces to us."

"I was informed that the captain of the guard was incredibly rude to you before the tournament; I apologize for that behaviour. Romily is my personal retainer, and she will be disciplined properly. Anyone who wields a sword in my favor should have proper manners. I don't suppose you have accepted her foolish challenge? Please, feel no pressure to do so. You are our guests before anything else."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tauron Greyjoy
    Half-elf Ranger 2/Rogue 4
    AC: 18 HP: 53/53 PP: 18 PIv: 13 PIs: 18
    HD: 2/2d10, 4/4d8, Conditions: none
    Favored Foe: 3/3 LR
    Tauron wanders the party, making small talk, introducing himself, and listening to the others tell him about themselves. He very much enjoyed his first day of the tournament and is looking forward to the sailing competition tomorrow.

When Lady Alysanne approaches him, he is friendly and polite, making sure to use proper etiquette and show her respect. When she brings up his interaction with Romily, he again tries to make sure they know it was insignificant.

"I was not offended ma'am. She was direct, and I appreciate that. It always seems more honest to me to be direct. I have no problem sparring with her. Hopefully we can both learn a little from each other and improve ourselves."

He then moves on to getting to know the matriarch of the family a little better, complimenting her on her lands in the process.

"So how is life here at Falconsword? You must love living in this paradise. Never far from the sea, but safe up here from the storms. And the Gryffon's have such beautiful sailing ships. Do you ever get out on them for fun?"

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

ElfWarriorGuy

Alysanne and Tauron walked about the sitting room as they talked, her lemon cake long forgotten on its silver platter. They came to the tall windows that overlooked the Narrow Sea, black and deep under the feeble moonlight. "You make an interesting observation, Tauron Greyjoy. I remember having a similar thought when I first came to Falconsward: Such a rich and naturally protected island should produce strong sailors, souldn't it?"

"But the Gryffens haven't been sailors for all their history. Before Harris the Gryffenknight was granted the island, they were hawkmasters under house Tyrell in the Reach. They spent generations honing their mastery over hawk and horse, but ships are a different matter."

"When it comes to war, they prefer to carry their horses into safe land and fight there. And since the island is so well protected, they've had little to worry about over the years." Alysanne allowed herself a laugh. "Pardon me. It's not ladylike to talk about war and battles. I'm sure my son will be more capable to answer your questions, as Harron allows him to manage all military affairs in Falconsward."

14. - Top - End - #44

ElfWarriorGuy

For Branda and Uthred, who sailed from Storm's End to Falconsward:
    Spoiler: Arriving in Falconsward
    Show

Perched atop a rugged cliff overlooking the vast expanse of the ocean, Castle Falconsward stood as a bastion of strength and grandeur by the Narrow Sea. A marvel of architecture, the castle embodied a fusion of regality and maritime elegance, its towering spires reaching for the heavens while its foundations delved deep into the bedrock of the cliffside.

At the base of the cliff, nestled along the shoreline, lay the Small Castle and the bustling Fishing District. The sound of seagulls filled the air as the aroma of freshly caught seafood wafted through the narrow streets, where colorful fishermen's cottages painted a picturesque scene against the backdrop of the roaring waves.

Ascending the winding path carved into the cliffside, one arrived at the heart of Castle Falconsward—the Falcon Keep. Rising proudly against the azure sky, the fortress stood as a symbol of power and authority, blue-and-golden flags billowing from every tower.

Beyond the walls of the keep sprawled the Ward's Burgh, a bustling hive of activity where the echoes of everyday life filled the air. Streets teemed with merchants and dancers, and the clamor of a vibrant marketplace filled the cobblestone lanes. No less that five thousand lived in Ward's Burgh, their lives entwined with the ebb and flow of the island's fortunes.

Further, beyond castle and town, wooded hills rolled far into the horizon. First, sharp and rugged, where narrow pathways meandered through dark valleys; Then progressively flatter and smoother, gravel and rocks giving up to mud and grass, until the flatlands were all one could see in any direction.

Most of the eastern portion of the island was flat and fertile, and covered by settled land. Fields of rye, wheat and beans sprawled over every bit of arable land, separated by mere treelines and scarce groves. Several tiny hamlets thrived in East Falconsward, and a few smoke trails indicated the presence of lumberjack cabins in the outskirts of the thick, dark woods to the west.

Among the sharp rocks of the western portion of the island, Ward's Burgh was really the only settlement to be seen, and the only sign of any human life for that matter. The dense woods and the inhospitable mountains of West Falconsward was territory of shadowcats, mountain lions and birds of prey, and many other predators well-known to men. They respected the wild and mostly remaind within the safety of their walled city.

Coming from the Crownlands to the north, the company's vessel made a wide circle into the Narrow Sea and sailed all the way along the outer shore of Falconsward, circling the entire length of its extension before reaching the western cliffside again. This entire lap around the island would be easily taken as a safety maneuver for a precise anchorage, while it gave the visitors a chance to scout the island from the outside before setting foot on dangerous territory.

House Gryffen had arranged a warm reception for the emissaries of King's Landing: Once they spotted their vessel, horns were blown from dozens of ships guarding the bay, summoning an entourage of knights in shiny armor to the harbor. They rode purebred stallions in a disciplined trot, keeping a formation of two lines that was just narrow enough to navigate the cobblestone lanes, and lined up flawlessly along the docks. The same blue-and-gold from the banners decorated their uniforms and helmets, fine wool worn over polished plate.

Their commander wore a particularly flamboyant mane of golden horsehair attached to his helmet. He removed it to issue orders to the dockers nearby, revealing his vibrant complexion: black of hair, square of chin and a piercing set of blue eyes that reflected the glare of the ocean. "Greetings, our esteemed guests!" He called in a loud voice that just barely made through the crashing waves, yelling seagulls and cracking wood of the ship. A dozen dock workers were busy securing the ship to port and setting up heavy ramps to the open deck. Those were large enough to be crossed by horse and livestock, and whatever heavy cargo they might have brought to the island.

The commander climbed off his horse and stood by the ramp. The entourage was made of five other knights and himself, all displaying flawless etiquette. "I am Jareth of House Gryffen, at your disposal. My lord father insisted that I were to greet you here, and escort you back to the Keep. My lords."

Organized in lines of two, they rode their way through the cobblestone streets of the Fishing District and the gates of the Small Castle. As the company could now see, the Fishing District was nested against the rocks and isolated from the rest of Falconsward; The only way to access the rest of the island was to sail around the rocks or to take the winding path carved on the cliffside, which was accessed through the courtyard of the Small Castle.

The way up took no longer than twenty minutes*, and lead them straight into the courtyard of Falconsward Castle. The place was usually busy with peasants and knights and merchants, but everyone had paused their activities to watch the guests' arrival. Standing before the tall double doors that lead into the Falcon Keep were the remaining members of House Gryffen, neatly standing in order of age: father, mother, two boys and two girls. Each had the same blue eyes and black hair, besides Lady Alisanne who was fair of hair and complexion.

Jareth and his knights kicked their horses forward, riding past the visitors to wait by the keep. The unit fell into a perfect line formation and rode in a beautiful 'S' shape across the courtyard, evoking a round of applause from the crowd who gathered around the keep.

My lord father Harron Gryffon, the Wise Lord of Falconsward, I have the honor to announce:" Sitting proudly on his saddle, Jareth puffed out his chest and indicated the company with a wide, if not flamboyant, movement of his arm. "Branda Stark of the North and Uthred Hightower of the Reach, our esteemed guests and emissaries from King's Landing!"

Jareth rejoiced as if he had announced 'emissaries from Heaven'. "This is my lord father, Harron Gryffen."

The Wise Lord of Falconsward stepped forward. Well over his forties, Harron conserved a thick mane of hair that fell around his shoulders and a beard so long he could tie it to his belt. "My people of Falconsward, today is a day for celebration, for the glory of King's Landing wades into the Narrow Sea and reaches us like rays of sunlight." He turned to the guests proper. "May your stay in our humble province be filled with the utmost splendor of the Grace of the Seven."

The guests were conducted into the main hall of the keep, immediately greeted by floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the Narrow Sea. Unlike the Red Keep in Kind's Landing, Falconsward was rather cold, and guards would often rekindle the several braziers that kept the main hall warm and comfortable. Two long tables were laid out to accommodate all the residents of the keep.

Show
    * Still gotta figure out how long this winding path really is. I might make it longer (30 min) or shorter (10 min) and retcon this part in the near future, sorry in advance.

While servants carried their luggage up to the guest chambers, Branda and Uthred were taken to the courtyard to meet Aubin and Percival. Half a dozen hedge knights who were visiting the island for the tournament were also having breakfast there, along with Ser Garris, the marshal and master-at-arms, and Romily Storm, captain of the guard and illegitimate daughter of Lord Harron.

The young Jareth joined Aubin, Percival, Branda and Uthred for a piece of bread with honey and a goblet of light beer, but didn't linger for too long. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, my esteemed guests." He said before leaving the keep and heading to the stables.

Show
    Feel free to ask Jareth any questions before he leaves, but other than that, you may consider this conversation a private one, distant enough from prying eyes and curious ears.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For Branda and Uthred, who sailed from Storm's End to Falconsward:

While servants carried their luggage up to the guest chambers, Branda and Uthred were taken to the courtyard to meet Aubin and Percival. Half a dozen hedge knights who were visiting the island for the tournament were also having breakfast there, along with Ser Garris, the marshal and master-at-arms, and Romily Storm, captain of the guard and illegitimate daughter of Lord Harron.

The young Jareth joined Aubin, Percival, Branda and Uthred for a piece of bread with honey and a goblet of light beer, but didn't linger for too long. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, my esteemed guests." He said before leaving the keep and heading to the stables.

Show
    Feel free to ask Jareth any questions before he leaves, but other than that, you may consider this conversation a private one, distant enough from prying eyes and curious ears.
    Aubin is pleased to see that both Uthred and Branda arrived safely. Aubin is wary of Branda's direwolf, Dorren, but has a healthy respect for him. Aubin personally thinks it is quite impressive that Branda is able to work with a direwolf, given their size, power, and temperament. But as a Reachman, Aubin was initially mistrusting of Branda and the Direwolf, not really believing that it was actually possible to work with one. However, having met Branda and Dorren before, Aubin is much more comfortable with having them around and is grateful because, should things turn south, a Direwolf is a welcome ally. He also trusts Branda as Dorren's handler and knows Dorren will not do anything out of line without first having been provoked. Aubin just hoped that the people of Falconsward will choose to have a healthy respect for Dorren vs trying to treat him as if he is simply just a larger dog.

Aubin was especially happy to see Uthred Hightower, a formiddable opponent in all of the archery events he had participated in. It was disappointing that Uthred should miss out in the first day of the tournament with the archery. No doubt Uthred would have made it an extremely close match.

Aubin makes small talk with Jareth, asking how he slept, if he was excited for the events of the day. Aubin also eats some bread with honey and water for breakfast.

After Jareth leaves them to head to the stables, Aubin catches Branda and Uthred up on what he has learned so far and what he plans on doing for the day - participating in the events of the tournament.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

The journey to Falconsward was long and difficult. Branda Stark, a tall and powerfully built woman from the coldest reaches of the north, could withstand the most bitter blizzards and the most scorching desert winds but the sea was another beast entirely. Branda much preferred her feet on solid ground and she was not the only one - when the waves grew fierce and the ship rocked like the gods themselves were throwing it around like a toy, Dorren howled and paced restlessly. Branda knew what Dorren wanted, to be off this thing he did not understand and to run in the grass and field and forest again. He, too, wanted his feet on solid ground.

So it was a relief, for both of them, when the ship finally docked. The welcome was a little excessive in Branda's eyes but she understood that first impressions were vitally important. As such, when Jareth of House Gryffen introduced himself, Branda did the same. "I am Branda of House Stark and I thank you and your Lord Father for your kind welcome and hospitality." Branda bowed politely and Dorren did the same. Clearly the direwolf picked up a few things from his master, but Jareth probably noticed Branda was still a little seasick and was trying to hide it.

After introductions were made at the keep and Branda, Uthred and Dorren were led to the courtyard, Dorren began sniffing around for food. The direwolf looked at his master and, with a brief wordless gesture from Branda, Dorren sat at her side at attention. Branda then asked Jareth if he could have meat brought for her direwolf and turned her attention to the people gathered here. First impressions were vitally important, so Branda wanted to know who among the people here were most disturbed by Dorren's presence.

When Aubin caught up with them and informed Branda and Uthred of what he knows and what he intends to do, you can almost feel as though Branda's ears perked up. Perhaps she picked up a few habits from Dorren, too.

"A tournament?" Branda muses, "What is the next event?"
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2023-07-22 at 04:58 AM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Uthred Hightower
    Half-elf Bard 6
    AC: 17 HP: 39/39 PP: 13 PIv: 13 PIs: 15
    HD: 6d8, Conditions: none
    Bardic Inspiration/Combat Flourish: 4/4 SR

Uthred had quite enjoyed his time on the boat; hailing from Oldtown, he had sailed before and a part of his training in the Citadel involved mastering navigation, which required practical courses too. He would move around the boat, like in synch with the waves of the sea, chatting with noblemen and commoners alike to try and pry all that he could of the current events at Falconsward without revealing anything about his true purpose here, matching it with what he had learnt. He would also talk with Brenda in length, as she would allow, and try and sate his curiosity of Dorren; while he had spent time with the magnificent creature before, it was a magnet for his attention as he marveled at how it worked together with Brenda and seemingly had none of the instincts of wild beasts, like a trained hound but thrice the size. With much experience of working with beasts, it all seemed so strange and yet enthralling to him that he felt compelled to continue.

Show
    I would like to learn what Uthred already knows based on his extensive studies of history (using Tactical Assessment to add 1d8 to the History-roll if applicable), and know what he can learn during the boat trip. What should I roll and where? I didn't see a die roll thread yet.

Either way, he's especially interested in any deeper information on the persons of note [special attention to Maester Bertrand], notable past actions of the house and whose sides they have taken in the recent history, etc.

As they arrived in Falconsward, Uthred was captivated by the welcome party: such an impressive show of strength and respect: a suitable envoy, not only landbound but seabound escort, the perfect formations and movement of the knights... Almost like something he would orchestrate himself! He immediately shifted his assessment of the house upwards by a bit, but of course, it also made him slightly more wary about the nature of the conspiracy that may lurk within: it's clear that there are sharp minds at work behind the operations here and who knows where their true allegiances lie.

While he felt a bit bored by the rituals, Uthred fought to not show it and played the part etiquette reserved for him, respectfully accepting the goodwill of his hosts and responding in kind. After Branda's presented herself to Jareth, Uthred took a step forward, bowed in a grandiose manner, and presented himself as: "I, Uthred of House Hightower of the Reach, by the blessing of his Grace King Aerys II Targaryen, extend the most heartfelt of thanks to you, your esteemed Lord Father, and your noble House, for having us as your guests. Let the Seven bear witness your honour."

As the procession took him to the keep to Lord Harron Gryffon, he would also praise the honour of house Gryffon, careful to keep it sounding earnest. As he was escorted to the would then join his own company, and Jareth. He greets Aubin warmly, their common history fresh on his mind. Aubin is one of the few to beat him at Archery, and somewhat special in the way. He then turns to greet Percival, whom he also knew from tournaments and with whom he shares a camaraderie based on the shared tournament history of theirs. He uses the sign language as he would rather talk to both at once: "It's good to see you two! The journey was long enough and while the company was good, I am glad enough to be here. I hear we missed some of the best parts already!"

As Jareth joins them for a short while, Uthred asks: "The word has come to my attention that we are currently in the middle of a tournament. As with my friend, that sounds quite interesting! Are any of your house participating in any of the events?"

After Jareth's departure, he has a long chat with the others, trying to get up to speed about the recent developments, and thanking Aubin for (unsurprisingly) taking Archery in his absence.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2023-07-22 at 08:06 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #48

ElfWarriorGuy

Much like any other castle in Westeros, Falconsward teemed with animal life: oxen pulled cards, seagulls unloaded on the battlements, dogs scavenged around the kitchens... and _horses_. There were horses everywhere; Young and old, docile and unbroken, and with manes of all colors possible for equines. In addition, any member or house Gryffen who was old enough to ride had their own steed, including Lady Alysanne. Still, most of the horses were too well trained to neigh or rear at the direwolf, instead facing away from it with all the discipline an animal could have - the dogs, however, disappeared from the courtyard like scared pussycats, and Dorren had some privacy to enjoy the guts and bones the cooks would throw out to the hounds in the courtyard.

As Uthred soon realized, the Tournament of Falconsward was a rather small event, and this year it was specially smaller since it had been brought forward several months to coincide with the arrival of the emissaries from King's Landing. Only half a dozen low-ranking knights had managed to attend, while normally it would have brought competitors from all over the Stormlands.

Almost in answer to Branda's question, Lord Harron's herald, the man responsible for the logistics around the tourney, came to their table with a long parchment in hand. He had been quite busy the last couple of days, running around the castle to get everyone's names while keeping his beret perfectly balanced on top of his head. "Lords and ladies, I'm glad you could all be here for the main event! While it's a pity that you missed Archery and Falconry, I am sure you will enjoy today's games."

He checked his parchment again. "May I ask in which modalities you wish to participate? We have Rowboat and Sailboat races in the morning, Duels in the afternoon, and Jousts tomorrow."

It was clear that Lord Harron had put extra effort and resources in his tournament; While usually each participant was responsible for signing up themselves, this tourney had a herald dedicated exclusively to it.

Reading the parchment, Aubin, Percival, Branda and Uthred could see how the Rowboat race and the Duels were team events, while Sailboat and Jousts were individual.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

It’s better that I missed archery, Branda thinks, No sense in showing my hand just yet.

“How many participants will there be in the duels?” she asked, wondering about the rules of the game. She would like, after all, to assess the skill of the knights gathered here firsthand. Just in case. She then turned to those beside her and said: “It could be amusing, if anyone would like to join me.”

Branda then put her name down for the joust as well, as it isn’t often one gets to engage in such things. She would, however, avoid the sailing games. One boat trip this month was enough, thank you very much.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfWarriorGuy

The herald cleaned his throat before reciting the names:

"Lord Jareth Gryffen,
    his sister Lady Esther Gryffen,
    his lord uncle Cedric Gryffen,
    Ser Corwyn Darry,
    the young Ser Edric Tarth,
    Ser Reynard Blackwood,
    Ser Garris Staedmon,
    Romily Storm,
    the hedge knights Ser Jaremy Barler, Ser Dorian Pyke, Ser Odric Rivers, Ser Magnus Hill, Ser Alistair Glen and Ser Elowen Sylver.

These are the competitors who signed up to Rowboat race, Duels and Jousts." He double checked his parchment full of scribbles and notes along the margins. "Not all will take part in the Sailboat race."

Show
    I might change the number of hedge knights depending on our quorum, so apologize in advance

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noticing the extreme effort Harron has put into this tournament for the King's Emissaries, going so far as even to appoint a dedicated herald to the events impressed Aubin. He always liked professionalism and efficiency and Harron was making sure that everything was going smoothly for this tournament.

Despite his lack of practice, Aubin signed up for both events, thinking he can at least give it a good and honest try in the events. In the past, Aubin has performed in events that he's never participated in just to see what it was like simply for the fun of it whether he did well or not. After putting on an excellent Archery display for everyone in the Archery event, Aubin was much more willing to try events that he didn't think he'd show well in because he can at least point to his archery event as a game he did well. This attitude has much to do with his own noble vanity than anything else. He cannot stand to look the fool if he hasn't at least had a favorable outcome in one of the events.

"My good Herald, please put me down for all of the events for today: the sailing - we will see how that goes eh - , the Rowboat event, and most certainly the duels. I'll never turn down an opportunity for a good and honorable fight!

I won't lie, I hope I get to meet Ser Reynard or Lady Esther in the duels. If they are half as good at dueling as they are at archery, it will be a glorious battle.

I will also participate in the Jousts tomorrow. Muet will enjoy the opportunity to compete as well I think!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

The arrival of Branda and Uthred immediately makes Percival feel more comfortable, knowing that their numbers bring safety and cover more ground in general, not to mention just sharing familiar faces. After their own introductions to Jareth, Percival moves forward to embrace Uthred, an equally respected competitor. "You missed an awful good showing yesterday. Let's hope it wasn't the best to see yet!

He takes a few careful steps in the direction of the ever familiar Dorren. While he's always been a bit wary of a direwolf's potential nature, his trust and respect for Branda and Dorren's control far exceeded his own worry. He bows to each of them and raises with a wide smile, again showing his obvious excitement.

"Fear not. While this may not be a large event, it's certainly an impressive arrangement. I'll be trying my hand at a bit of everything, and putting on a show while I'm at it. You know me!" He throws an obvious wink to his comrades.
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-07-30 at 05:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Uthred Hightower
    Half-elf Bard 6

Uthred thought for a bit with the Herald's announcement and stated "Given I sadly missed the first day's events, I shall also gladly partake in all the events. I'll be glad to have a good competition with all of you!" He gave nods to his companions and the herald, continuing to discuss the past events and the competition after the herald had left.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2023-07-31 at 12:10 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #54

ElfWarriorGuy

The morning was particularly sunny in the second day of the tourney. After breaking bread in the Great Hall, the emissaries from King's Landing walked out into the courtyard, immediately greeted by Dorren's bloody breath - He had the most canine smile on his face after a good meal by the kitchen windows, licking his lose and assuming his dutiful position by Branda's heel.

The arena had been build right outside the castle walls, by the pine woods that surrounded those cliffs. From the elevated seats, one could glimpse the Narrow Sea and the ships in the bay; Walking further onto the edge of the cliff, the Small Castle and the Fishing District would also become visible, thousands of feet below, nested against the cliffside.

However, this morning, the competitors met in the courtyard and made for the Small Castle in one big caravan. For the women and children, it was a fun expedition to the Fishing District, a somewhat rare occasion - although they lived in an island, the residents of Falconsward weren't that fond of the sea, or so it seemed.

The descent took little more than thirty minutes; Guards rode ahead to clear the docks for the event, and four cogs were pulled into the bay.

Ser Corwyn Darry and Ser Reynard Blackwood set aside their rivalry and teamed up for the Rowboat race; They carried noble names of the river lords, and both rowing and archery were part of their signature. It wasn't a surprise when they received the first trophy of the day: a decorative piece of gold crafted in the shape of a peacock feather, each fiber nicely forged in a wavy shape, for finishing first and entire lap around the bay.

Next was the Sailing race, a round trip to the edge of the bay and back to the shores of Falconsward. Again, the river lords had a natural advantage, but Percival, Aubin and Uthred managed to catch a strong wind just at the right angle and saw a real chance to actually win the race. The second half of the game was a narrow competition between the river lords and the emissaries from King's Landing, fifteen minutes of pure suspense. After all, Percival was a river lord too, and Aubin served House Redwyne - both had at least some experience around a sailing ship. The two vessels were nose-to-nose, rushing back to the docks; The men worked like their lives depended on it, tying and untying knots, giving and taking sail, gliding over the seawater at full speed, the noise of the breaking waves filling their ears...

But suddenly, the cry of a hawk was heard through the blue sky. It was a large beast, not a dashing Peregrine but a clumsy White Hawk with large wings and piercing black eyes, and talons big like an eagle's. It closed its wings around its body and dove like a missile - REEEEAP - right through the sail of the river lords' ship. The vessel instantly lost speed, and - REEEEAP - the White Falcon recovered from the dive and attacked the sails of the second ship, the one piloted by Aubin, Uthred and Percival.

A third cog suddenly dashed ahead into first place, and those who fell behind could hear the loud hoorays of the sailors ahead. Ser Garris Staedmon steered the ship, and standing on the prow was Romily Storm. The White Hawk returned to her gloved wrist and she hooded it quickly so the bird would stand quietly, a proud smile on her face as her men chanted her name: "Captain Storm! Captain Storm! Captain Storm!"

Romily and Ser Garris were awarded the second trophy of the day: A Lysene tapestry depicting several Valyrian heroes and their dragons, all with golden hair and violet eyes.

After a long trek up the cliffside, the caravan headed to the arena where most of he competitors would eat their lunch, while their families remained in the comfort of the Great Hall. Cauldrons of porridge were cooked for everyone in the common tent, and knights and lords eat their bowls while double checking their armors, honing their blades or simply preparing their minds for the duels.

During this prep stage, Romily Storm and Ser Garris approached the company. "This was a good race. Too bad Lord Greyjoy couldn't stay here to see it." She extended her hand for a friendly shake with each of the emissaries from King's Landing. "It was an honor to compete with you all."

"It seems like we might also face each other in the Duels." Ser Garris added, scratching at his grey mustache. "It's been a while since I last saw a Stark in action. Let alone one with a Direwolf at her side. That is an impressive beast, Lady Branda. How do you manage to keep him so calm?"
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-07-31 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Uthred Hightower
    Half-elf Bard 6

During the rowing competition, Uthred finds himself wondering, why he signed up in the first place. Neither strength nor endurance are really his fortés and this game is mostly about that. He finds small benefits in the bigs of applicable knowledge he has gathered on efficient usage of the strength and endurance during his training as a maester, but ultimately it is still mostly a game about the attributes he is both, uninterested in training and not naturally exceptional at.

In the sailing competition, he is more in his element: sailing is something he has studied a fair bit in theory and occasionally in practice. Working together with his companions, Percival and Aubin, they manage to do really well until a cheap shot from ser Storm literally takes the wind out of their sails. Uthred appears simultaneously infuriated and impressed: he does not mind cheap shots, but that's certainly something he do himself. He is however frustrated at losing when he goes through the list of things he could have done to prevent the attack, from shooting the bird to misdirecting it or simply shifting the sails momentarily to make it miss. All of that would have required prediction or observation though, neither of which he managed in time.

He eats well and partakes in smalltalk over the dinner, but also trying to covertly pry information from his competition. Chatting up the local lords, he brings up the topic of previous tournaments and their winners and how the current participants have fared. "I have been quite impressed with the level of these events, in spite of the relatively remote location. It has been my honour to compete with all these masters of their art. I am all the more sad to have missed yesterday's events, but perhaps there will be a chance for me still! I wonder, who has the most dueling trophies here on Falconsward? Are there some black horses in the races?" He continues on to wonder about what kind of tactics they employ and how they typically defeat their opponents, comparing them to the greats of the Realm and their famous feats and strives. He doesn't really hide his intentions all that well, but ultimately it might not matter that much.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    History for information on opposition - (1d20+8)[26] + Tactical Assessment - (1d8)[7]
    Persuasion to dig out information - (1d20+10)[12] + Commanding Presence - (1d8)[8]
    Deception to do it covertly - (1d20+7)[9]

From here)

Later, as the group chats with Romily Storm and ser Garris, Uthred shakes Romily's hand. "Close events, to be sure. The honour is all mine." he replies with a broad smile. "Quite an impressive approach you chose last time - I wonder what we might encounter in the duels. Not having a win yet feels...weird, and I feel like that is where I get to show my skills the best. I hope you too shall make it hard on us! Just off the record, besides us in this conversation, who would you name as the toughest competition in the two remaining events?" he asks with a smile and a carefully crafted look of slight admiration on his face.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aubin is excited for the tournament events.

During the caravan ride, Aubin started imagining what some of the prizes might be. No doubt they would be extravagant and unique. If Aubin was able to take more than just the bow home, he would love to have his prizes displayed in his trophy room/study he has back home.

Aubin wasn't surprised that the River Lords teamed up mainly because if you could count on ONE thing from a Blackwood, it's that they are competitive to a fault. They are always seeking glory and honor for their family as well as opportunities to grow their wealth and power, just like any Noble families. Aubin didn't know that Darry was THAT good with boats given his snap judgement of the Darry family based on their coat of arms (brown field with a black man holding a plow). He did not initially believe they had the skills to be this good on the water given that he thought they were just a strong agricultural family. Aubin notes this strength from Darry.

In the Sailing Race, Aubin was throughly enjoying himself. He felt so in sync with Uthred and Percival. He was ecstatic that his team was able to keep up with Blackwood and Darry. He witnessed the hawk attack on both boats and followed where the hawk landed.

He laughed uproariously, greatly amused by Captain Romily Storm.

He shouts to the River Lords and his teammates

"Look at the wee lass looking so damned proud like she accomplished something! HAH!"

When Romily and Garris approached the company, Aubin took Romily's hand firmly and addressed her.

"That was some mighty impressive hawking but I do question the wisdom of your actions towards whatever end you are hoping to achieve.

He releases Romily's hand and continues.

"Y'know people aren't that dumb right? In the competition we have 2 River Lords who just absolutely decimated the competition in the Rowboat segment and have proven to all that can see that they are true masters of the water vessels. The way they worked together was beautiful and honorable even though I'm pretty damn sure neither of them likes the other very much. They put that aside for the beauty of competition and to attain honor and glory. They have achieved that. "

He looks pointedly to Romily.

"You.....on the other hand. I wonder what people will say about the circumstances of your victory. Will they be kind? Or will they be cold? After all, you sailed in easily with your white hawk on the wrist whilst the River Lords and the aforementioned known masters of water vessels mysteriously have some pretty odd, distinctly hawk shaped damages to their sails. And wouldn't you know it, it just so happened the honorable King's Emissaries ALSO suffered those strange hawk shaped damages to their sails!

It's a happy day for Captain Romily though, is it not?"

27. - Top - End - #57

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: [5e] [IC] Chronicles of the Seven Kingdoms: The Secret Heir

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    "I have been quite impressed with the level of these events, in spite of the relatively remote location. It has been my honour to compete with all these masters of their art. I am all the more sad to have missed yesterday's events, but perhaps there will be a chance for me still! I wonder, who has the most dueling trophies here on Falconsward? Are there some black horses in the races?"
    Eldariel had a much easier time extracting information from the low ranking knights that had sailed to Falconsward for the tourney. Since Lord Harron had changed the date without notice, this year's event was smaller than usual, but these knights had been here before and knew how things worked around the island. "Oh, but this is the charm of Falconsward. Fierce like any storm lord, but with the grace of their birds. See, before they moved to this island hundreds of years ago, the Gryffens were hawkmasters under House Tyrell in the Reach. They adapted well to the shipbreaker sea, but never lost their good taste for the finer things. Perfumes. Dances. Gifts. Ride with pride, soar with grace. You'll find these words in their shields." Said Ser Odric Rivers. The young bastard was sliding a whetstone along the edge of his longsword, and testing it against the edge of an old piece of leather every now and then. "As for the current champion? Why, that's no mystery: Lady Esther is the strongest sword and lance in Falconsward. She doesn't participate every year, but I never saw her joining the lists and not taking the trophy."

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Later, as the group chats with Romily Storm and ser Garris, Uthred shakes Romily's hand. "Close events, to be sure. The honour is all mine." he replies with a broad smile. "Quite an impressive approach you chose last time - I wonder what we might encounter in the duels. Not having a win yet feels...weird, and I feel like that is where I get to show my skills the best. I hope you too shall make it hard on us! Just off the record, besides us in this conversation, who would you name as the toughest competition in the two remaining events?" he asks with a smile and a carefully crafted look of slight admiration on his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    "You.....on the other hand. I wonder what people will say about the circumstances of your victory. Will they be kind? Or will they be cold? After all, you sailed in easily with your white hawk on the wrist whilst the River Lords and the aforementioned known masters of water vessels mysteriously have some pretty odd, distinctly hawk shaped damages to their sails. And wouldn't you know it, it just so happened the honorable King's Emissaries ALSO suffered those strange hawk shaped damages to their sails!

It's a happy day for Captain Romily though, is it not?"
    Romily seemed to be waiting for just that kind of comment, a hint of mischief glinting around her eyes. Ser Garris wasn't as subtle: he was visibly proud of her performance.

"Why, you think I tried to hide that little stunt? Oh no, everyone saw what my bird did." Romily couldn't hold back a grin, a friendly one, but still triumphant and rather cocky. "I trained that bird to sabotage sailing ships years ago. I've been waiting for the right tourney to try it out, see, because I only had one chance. From now on, I'm sure Blackwood-and-Darry will have archers ready to prevent my little trick... So I had to make it count."

"I've been waiting and waiting, year after year, and you were the most daring and challenging foes I could expect to drop by Falconsward. Now everyone will know that the bastard girl beat the emissaries from King's Landing."

"As for the rules? Lord Aubin, I can't hope to win by breaking lances with you. So I resorted to something else, something my family understands all too well: Drama. If you win their hearts... If you give them a show they won't forget... Then rules will mean nothing to you. It took a long time for me to learn that. That's the only way to earn their respect... No matter how futile that can be."
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-08-02 at 10:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Percival applies all of his heart and soul into the race. Next to his comrades, he feels unstoppable. The event is exhilarating, a sort of competition he hadn't felt in quite some time. He had almost forgotten what this was like, but the skills never really left, clearly.

Suddenly the wind left their sails literally at first and, once the realization set in, metaphorically as well. He was able to accept defeat rather quickly though and joined Aubin in a fit of laughter, despite the circumstances. It was all in good fun, but he couldn't help but feel a bit robbed. Every word that Aubin would present resonated with him and aroused a sense of suspicion toward their competition. But then the response came and a small part of him felt a different level of understanding.

"I have felt loss in many ways, today was nothing new. I can admit an appreciation of your drive. I can admit to making a name for oneself, as I have done. Especially so, I understand your flare. "Give them a show they won't forget," indeed. That's certainly my motto, one that takes far more years and experience than you have to make a claim at the pride I am known for."

He takes a brief moment to finish the drink he happened to be working on. He rolls it around in his mouth just as he toys with the next words in his head.

"While you have made a fair showing today and your name recognized, you admitted yourself it's only once. How do you plan to maintain your renown?
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-08-03 at 07:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

ElfWarriorGuy

"You're right, Lord Frey. I had one trick up my sleeve, one stunt - and I pulled it off." Romily nodded, hiding that mischievous glint. "Now? Back to real life."

"I've been captain of the guard for two years now... but it doesn't stop here. I'm surprised no one told you yet, I don't try to hide what I want." She exchanged looks with her mentor before saying, "I wish to be knighted by my lord father, as says the norm, at the age of one-and-twenty or earlier, if he seems fit."

30. - Top - End - #60

ElfWarriorGuy

The conversation was interrupted by a few other knights who came to congratulate Romily for her "cleverness" in the race; Soon, the tent was filled with knights and lords and ladies waiting to be summoned to the arena. Duels would be a rather quick modality, as each fight was quite short and competitors paired up for each round. Thus, it was decided that Jousts could be brought forward to the same afternoon.

Lord Harron's younger brother Cedric Gryffen paired up with the river lord Corwyn Darry against Romily and Ser Garris; The bastard girl and the old master-at-arms won the first match, but lost to Branda Stark and Uthred Hightower on the second. Branda and Uthred had easily defeated the low-ranking knights Jaremy Barler and Odric Rivers, then barely managed against Romily and Garris, and finally lost to Jareth and Esther on the big final. The siblings defeated Edric Tarth and the river lord Reynard Blackwood on the first round, and both the semifinal against Aubin and Percival and the final against Branda and Uthred, who were both exhausted from fighting the experienced master-at-arms and the fierce bastard girl.

Aubin and Percival's semifinal was breathtaking - the arena was much more crowded than the day before, giving the fighters that old, familiar feeling of an actual tournament, rather than the talent show that the Tourney of Falconsward had been so far. However, basically everyone was cheering for Jareth and Esther, and the combination of low morale and exhaustion made Aubin and Percival lose grip of the situation, and end up thrown onto the ground with the tip of two longswords pointed at their faces. The people in the crowd knew very little about the guests - noticing that, Lady Esther requested them to stomp the ground rather than just clap, and raised both Aubin and Percival's hands in the air to salute them even in defeat.

Branda and Uthred knew they could have won that final match, wasn't for the tiring fight just before. Ser Garris and Romily gave combat until the very end, when the old knight's bad knee betrayed him and Romily couldn't fend off the two opponents by herself. Although strong and capable, at over forty years old, Ser Garris wasn't as light on his toes as he once had been. When it was time to face the champion, Lady Esther the Hawkmistress, her flurry of blows and Jareth's support - he wielded the biggest shield he could have hoped to find, and a spear to poke over the shield, making Esther the main unprotected target and merely giving her support from a safe position and staying away from danger throughout the whole fight - combined with years of training together, a kind of synchrony that only brother and sister could have.

The trophy was a longsword - dragonbone hilt, castle-forged, made of regular steel but still high-quality, decorated with inscriptions in High Valyrian. Uthred could notice, however, that despite masterpiece that was the sword, the spelling of the inscriptions was off. Whoever had marked those words on the blade did not speak High Valyrian fluently, and was using someone else's notes as reference. No one else seemed to notice, or care.

They were done with Duels before two after-noon, and servants occupied themselves with the final preparations for Jousts. Now the arena was really crowded - packed, even, with not only blacksmiths and cooks and nobles, but citizens of Ward's Burgh and their families, and even peasants from the villagers to the east of Falconsward. Candy-sellers and dancers and heralds and singers and bards and soldiers and children and women and horses and hounds and bird-sellers and gamblers and beggars--

"Lords and ladies, people of Falconsward, brothers and sisters..." Went the herald. His speeches were rather long, so to give the competitors plenty of time to realize they should get ready to ride.

Aubin, Percival, Branda and Uthred gathered by the tent when the young Lord Jareth approached them. He had a small cut on his lip from the final, but was otherwise in good condition. His face, however, was severe. None of that flamboyance remained in his hard expression. "My lords. My lady." He said without wasting any time. "What I have to discuss with you is of utmost secrecy. If you wish to befriend House Gryffen, I beg you, hear me out."

"We had enough of Romily's attitude." He looked from one of the emissaries to the other, clearly uncomfortable with the subject, before moving on. "I have discussed it with my cousins, and we need your support on this."

"We will refuse to compete with her, and announce to the crowd how she cheated in the race. I will demand that my lord father bans from the tourney permanently, and she will return to her place: as a guard. I beg you, if I can call you friends. Support us on this, and you shall have my full support back in the future."