New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

What a strange sight! A tiny castle in a hidden room pass a hidden opening that can only be accessed through a hidden doorway by the fireplace. Compared to the rooms around it, this one was oddly clean.

And the doors! Even across dimensions Yikkol recognizes the slick black stone as that of adamantine. To protect this castle, no expense was spared.

Whatever’s locked inside must be important to Strahd. Therefore, Yikkol wanted it.

“There must be another treasure locked within,” Yikkol says to her companions. “The stone used to forge the doors are worth far more than their weight in gold.”

She tests both doors to see if they’re unlocked. If not, she’ll look for a possible locking mechanism and disarm it.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro regarded the mini fortress with some amazement. He was also surprised the floor of this room hadn't caved in at the weight of such a structure. He tried to think if he recognised such a fortress.

"I could use a spell of short teleportation - one that you've seen me use before to cross short distances - to make it inside the structure via the arrow slits. Hopefully there is a way to open this fortress easily from inside; otherwise I could use the same spell to exfiltrate myself after investigating." Zinro suggested.

Spoiler
    Show
    Has Zinro seem something like this before? Arcana/History/Investigation are all +8, so whichever one is appropriate here: (1d20+8)[20].

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert
    Herbert looks at the castle. It sounds vaguely like a magical fortress he heard some dungeon-delvers bragging about a few years ago, but... no, probably not. "Strahd's people starve, yet he hoards coin to no purpose like a dragon."
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #724

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    What a strange sight! A tiny castle in a hidden room pass a hidden opening that can only be accessed through a hidden doorway by the fireplace. Compared to the rooms around it, this one was oddly clean.

And the doors! Even across dimensions Yikkol recognizes the slick black stone as that of adamantine. To protect this castle, no expense was spared.

Whatever’s locked inside must be important to Strahd. Therefore, Yikkol wanted it.

“There must be another treasure locked within,” Yikkol says to her companions. “The stone used to forge the doors are worth far more than their weight in gold.”

She tests both doors to see if they’re unlocked. If not, she’ll look for a possible locking mechanism and disarm it.
    Both the door and the trapdoor are clean smooth, lacking handlers or locks to operate them. Only the right magic words will crack them open.
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

5. - Top - End - #725
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer 10
    AC: 23 | HP: 96/103 | THP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2
    Str: +1 | Dex: +2 | Con: +7 | Int: +9 | Wis: +2 | Cha: -1
    PPer: 16 | PInv: 19 | PIns: 12
    Spell Slots: 1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 1/3 | 3rd: 2/2
    Flash of Genius: 3/5
    Active Effects: Breathe any Environ, Adv vs Harmful Gases/Vapors
    Conditions: --

Repulsion Shield: 4/4
    Spell-Refueling Ring: 0/1
    Defensive Field: 0/4

Asha peers through the arrow slits to see how the tower is constructed inside, If there is space, I can teleport in with you Zinro. Maybe there is a way to open it from the inside. Asha has a thought and measures the arrow slits. He turns and gauges Bori's size. My armor is able to enlarge or reduce creatures and objects. It is useful for infiltration missions, or if an enemy target has a challenging size advantage. In this case, I think if I shrink Bori down, he may be able to get in through these slits. Otherwise, he looks at the tower and the room, I am not sure if I can grow the tower to allow us entry.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2024-02-05 at 02:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726

Bori

Bori breathes a sigh of relief when the Von Richten leaves them alone. A thought strikes him as he follows the others out of the room. Several folk here have called me a "paladin", that's so funny, I'm not a holy warrior like the follows of the Silver Flame. I'm literally a glorified guard if I'm anything. Between my mark and my mask weaver training I know how to look after people.

He is lost in thought again until they find the tiny castle. That's amazing! Why do you think all of this treasure here, will it take all of our gold somehow or is the castle just another piece of treasure? I'm more than happy to sneak in an arrow slit if Asha shrinks me down. I'm no good at picking locks but you'd think finding a way out wouldn't be too hard.

The second thing since the sword that has filled him with wonder rather than dread and despair...his spirits begin to lift slightly.

7. - Top - End - #727

Asha
    Spell Slots: 1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 0/3 | 3rd: 2/2

Asha pauses and then says, Actually Bori, I may be able to shrink the door off its hinges, allowing us all access to the tower. That way if anything is waiting for us, it won't only be you in there. Asha moves up to the door and places both hands on it, emitting a magical energy that attempts to shrink the door down.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Asha casts Enlarge/Reduce to Reduce the door down in size.

8. - Top - End - #728

ElfWarriorGuy

While any normal door (and even some magic doors) would have immediately shrunk to half its size, this adamantine door was protected by powerful, ancient magic. Asha cast the spell, but it was unaffected by it.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol cusses. She half-heartedly tries some passcodes:

1. Knock once.
    2. "Strahd von Zarovich."
    3. Knock twice.
    4. "Sergei von Zarovich."
    5. Knock thrice.
    6. "Tatyana Federovna."
    7. Knock four times.
    8. "Varushka, my love."
    9. Knock five times.
    10. "In the shadows, where moonlight fears to tread... Whispers dance with the forgotten, echoing in the cryptic silence."
    11. Punch the door in anger.
    12. "Open up in the name of his holiness!"
    13. Cuss again, but louder this time.

When that inevitably fails to work, she pulls out a crowbar and begins to wear away at the stonework.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2024-02-06 at 02:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #730

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro grimaced as Yikkol started to smash at the stonework of the structure. "Please, please, I'll just teleport inside." He pleaded.

He moved up to one of the arrow slits and peered through the gap, then muttered the usual arcane words to transport him across short distances.

(Cast Misty Step, 2nd Level, to teleport inside the structure)

11. - Top - End - #731

ElfWarriorGuy

Nothing keeps Zinro from Misty Stepping in or out. Inside, he finds out the miniature tower has its own stone floor, so it isn't just a vault inside a vault. In a way, it reminds him of his own Tiny Hut.

In the first floor, laying on a pile of gold and platinum coins, there is a beautiful steel shield emblazoned with the figure of a Silver Dragon. The figure is decorated with actual silver and the dragon's eyes are real diamonds.

On the second floor, Zinro finds accommodations and rations for a handful of soldiers that could last for a lifetime. In a special cabinet he finds a nondescript ceramic jug, a dazzling steel helmet decorated with several precious gems, a magical rod of some kind, and an unlocked wooden coffer with four compartments, each one containing a potion of greater healing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All these items have magical auras and can have their properties identified through the spell Identify. A general understanding of the item's powers can be observer through an Arcana check. (one for each item, you may only try once, but everyone who's proficient with Arcana can try, since I assume Zinro would allow them to inspect it too)

Night turned into day as a fire spread over the Svalich Woods; The tall pine trees had been lit ablaze by the Order of the Silver Dragon before they launched another assault at Castle Ravenloft. The clanking of wood, the stretching of rope and the tinkling of chains filled the battlefield as several 80-foot trebuchets launched rocks at those impenetrable walls of grey stone, smashing dozens of undead archers on the parapets. Leading the assault was none less than an adult Silver Dragon, who inspired his troops with his booming voice and cast powerful spells at Strahd. For the vampire lord didn't shy away from battle this time, but flew above the siege weapons, dodging boulders and spears and arrows and magic missiles, and sustained a magical shield around his castle with the proficiency of a master wizard. Thousands of knights in steel and blue marched into the courtyard in two columns, keeping perfect formation as they sliced and pierced through a hoard of zombies. Above them, Strahd's magical barrier was broken by the Silver Dragon's breath of cold: It froze and shattered one of the three high towers of Castle Ravenloft, leaving only two of them intact. Huge pieces of debris fell onto the battlefield below, but the Silver Dragon protected her troops with her own body. She was face to face with Strahd, now.

The vampire lord unleashed his combat form, that huge bat-like humanoid monster that the fellowship had faced in his throne room, and dove into the battlefield in a bloody frenzy. The Silver Dragon could have destroyed his entire castle, but Strahd knew the ancient creature was good in nature, and would never use her knights as bait. And so they fought and they died, one by one, as Strahd came in aid of Rahadin, who had just unleashed a hoard of zombies as fodder while his household guard retreated to the Main Hall. The hall and the courtyard were painted red with the blood of the Knights of the Order of the Silver Dragon, and the whole Valley of Barovia heard her cry of pain when she realized the battle could be won, but not without an ultimate price. Strahd killed her spirit, and then it was easy to kill her body.

The vision fades. It seems like the magic in the shield is so powerful that, when Zinro touched it, he tapped into the memories of its previous owner and his fellowship caught a glimpse of its origins. Everyone had the same vision, though the rest of the party waiting outside was probably left a little bit confused for a moment. Unlike the sword of Sergei von Zarovich, whoever wielded this shield one day is now long gone and cannot communicate - but Castle Ravenloft seems to see them as a fellowship, and thus all were granted the same vision.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2024-02-06 at 05:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

"Fascinating...." Zinro said to himself. Before touching anything more, he attempted to open either the front door or the trap door to the structure for the others to enter (if there's no visible means of doing so from this side either, he'll abandon doing that).

He scooped the riches into his Bag of Holding and then began to pass the clearly magical items to his companions (if anything is too big to fit through the gap, he'll just show them to the party by holding them up to the gap). "Who wants these potions?" Zinro pockets one regardless, offering the remaining three out to the party to take. "I take it you saw the vision of the battle with the Silver Dragon?"

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol declines the potion—she has enough.

She confirms the shared vision: “What carnage! In my world the dragons have died out, and all that’s left are their bones. I wonder how her spirit entered the shield. Regardless, I think a holy artifact like this should go to his holiness.”

14. - Top - End - #734

Asha

Asha shakes his head after the vision clears, That was out of nowhere. What triggered that vision? he asks Zinro.

Let's see if there is anything here that can help us fight Strahd.

Spoiler: Arcana Check
    Show

Asha will attempt to divine the abilities of a magic item that Zinro hands to him.
    Arcana - (1d20+9)[14] + Guidance - (1d4)[2]

15. - Top - End - #735

ElfWarriorGuy

The shield is not only enchanted, but it seems to improve one's awareness in battle. Requires attunement.

The magical rod is made to improve the casting of certain spells. Unlike traditional wizards like Zinro, Strahd and Rahadin, there are magicians who draw their power from specific patrons, or even magical creatures they have captured and enslaved. This rod is designed for them.

The bottom of the jug has traces of vinegar, alcohol, musk, and other substances that can be used to make perfumes. Or potions.

The helmet is enchanted with holy magic specifically to destroy undead. It makes ita wearer resistant to fire, and has powers that can be awakened to summon sacred flames that will harm creatures of the night.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2024-02-08 at 01:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #736

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro put everything in his Bag of Holding and took a last quick look around the structure before using the same spell to egress from the structure.

Once safely outside, he retrieved the magic items and potions of greater healing from his Bag and once again offered them out for the party to claim, investigate, and take.

(Misty Step back outside the structure)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2024-02-09 at 05:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737

ElfWarriorGuy

d6 Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The way to the chapel was awfully quiet. The fellowship expected to run into more servants of Strahd, but nothing attacked them as they backtracked their way to the first floor. The staircase that lead from the bridge that connected the two towers, through the witches' hideout, the guest chambers, and finally the king's bedchambers, brought the adventures straight to the Main Hall. They emerged from the doorway in front of the Music Room, which they had left unexplored.

Not a single Child of Strahd patrolled that area. Only the occasional thunder and the constant rain outside broke the silence. The body of the cleric who once tried to grab the Icon of Ravenloft lay where it had been, next to the ashes of Sir Theodore and one of his comrades. The two corpses sitting on the chairs on the balcony, however, had disappeared.

Instead of heading down to the catacombs, the fellowship climbed the steps up. Unlike the North Tower, this one had enclosed walls on both sides of the staircase, making the climb safer for everyone. They climbed and climbed for long minutes, often stopping to listen for chirping or squeaking from the Children of Strahd, but still the castle was drown in solitude.

The spiral staircase finally ends at a five-foot-wide stone walkway that circles the shaft. In the center of the tower's highest floor, a fifteen-foot-diameter hole drops into the cold heart of Ravenloft itself. Cold air rushes up out of the shaft, sending a chill through you. Arrow slits line the walls, and aging beams support a steep, cone-shaped roof. One beam and part of the roof have fallen away, leaving a gaping hole open to the stormy sky.

Something lurks among the rafters—a small, spindly man not much larger than a child. A flash of lightning illuminates his face, which is painted like a grinning jack-o'-lantern.

Upon closer inspection, it is possible to see the symbol of Yikkol's mother's guild printed on the little man's back. When he moves, there is the slight noise of clockwork turning.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol frowns. The treasure should be here, but the walls and walkway were bare. Down into the shaft? But wouldn’t that just lead to the tombs?

And then she hears the whirring of gears. She looks up and holds her crossbow in a ready position. Then she gasps and drops it. In the architect’s guild were the finest architects in her country, but only one person in it had the maker’s gift—her mom.

To her companions, she shouts: “Don’t shoot!”

She had nothing of her mom except a murderer’s book with her name in it. She could not risk it being destroyed.

She puts away her crossbow, holds out her hands, and smiles up at the man.

“Did you know a Nadis Four-Eyes? She was my mom. We are friends here to bring you home.”

19. - Top - End - #739

ElfWarriorGuy

The little clockwork man was startled at first. He crawled away from Yikkol until he was sure she meant no harm , and even then, climbed down with caution. He squinted his eyes to make out her features, puzzled, and then smiled and nodded several times.

He tapped and pointed at his own chest, then mimicked the act of using a screwdriver on different parts of his body. Then he pretended to trip and fall down, and again mimicked someone repairing him. Next, he stood straight and showed his biceps, like a child showing how strong he is, and started walking around the room. After a few steps, he broke down again, pretended to call for help (his mouth moved widely, but he made no sound), but this time no one came to repair him. He cried, or pretended to cry, as he looked around and held his own arms, as someone who is left behind with no one to help.

In the end he pointed at Yikkol, mimicked a mother carrying a baby, and gave her a curious, inquisitive look.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2024-02-09 at 04:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

She nods.

“Yes. She gave birth to me but left when I was young to work on a secret project here. She never came home. I came here to search for her.

“Are you in need of repairs? I can do it. I have the same gift as she does.”

21. - Top - End - #741

Asha

Asha points both hands up toward the sound, palms open read to engage the threat, but Yikkol calls out "Don't shoot!". He keeps his hands up for a moment and turns to her, as she approaches Asha slowly lowers his arms. He watches with strange fascination as the creature comes down and begins to pantomime a story. Asha feels a twinge of sadness, though the creature appears to be an automoton of some sort, it has the appearance of a child. Can it talk? he says quietly.

22. - Top - End - #742

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The little man was a really angry at how Asha talked about him in the third person while he was right there. It seemed like he could understand them perfectly, even if he couldn't talk. His anger, however, vanished very quickly. Since he couldn't speak, the little man exaggerated his emotions and gesticulated excessively to better communicate his thoughts.

To Yikkol's offer to repair him, the little clockwork man shook his head and held his own torso as if protecting it from her. But after a moment, he reconsidered and stood up to ask a question.

First, he raised his arms in the air and pretended to laugh like a villain - For extra emphasis, he moved his index fingers to his mouth, pointing downwards, and pretended they were fangs. Then he pointed at the group and mimicked them plunging a weapon into his own chest. Lastly, he fell down on his back and crossed his arms over his chest, like a dead man laying in a coffin.

The little man sat up and gave them that inquisitive look again.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2024-02-09 at 07:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol nods.

“Strahd is our foe. He killed my—our—mother. I intend to make him pay. Would you like to join us?”

24. - Top - End - #744

Bori

Bori is panting by the time they reach the top of the tower. Buildings were bad enough, but these endless stairs were torture for one the wrong stature who was born in the saddle.

He tensed when he saw the construct ahead of them. Big folks often let down their guard around those smaller than themselves, not considering them threats. He had no such illusions. What's more, he had both known and fought enough warforged to have a healthy respect for the destructive power of constructs, no matter theur outward appearance. He shook his head, trying tonstay in thr moment and not relive the night glamoured warforged scouts had attacked the recuperation station he was guarding...

Easy now everyone. Remember where we are. Take things nice an slow. Dont let your guard down.

25. - Top - End - #745

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The clockwork man was hesitant. He stepped back again, like a dog who has been beaten up too many times and knows it's always better to just give space. Only after a long moment of patience and kind words from Yikkol did the little man allow himself to let her approach him.

He jerked his chest-piece open. Inside, an intricate system of gears greased by human blood showed just how capable was the artificer responsible for that invention. The clockwork man was the perfect hybrid between man and machine, with real feelings and a beating heart, responsible brains and functional lungs. He was _alive_, of that there was no doubt. Yikkol's mother had broken the last barrier that surrounded the architect's guild: the ability to create life. She had crossed the enormous gap that separated humanity from divinity. She had given life through her brains, not her womb, and her creation still worked despite the long decades since she disappeared.

In a secret compartment on his chest, there was a platinun amulet shaped like sun and decorated with a large rubi at the center. It had a chain attached to it so it could be worn around the neck. Beside the amulet was an old audiograph card, which could be played by the little clockwork man himself.

The voice took Yikkol back to her dearest memories of her mother and the architect's guild. No vampire lord could be able to make such a perfect illusion - it was really her mother's voice, talking through a window to the past. Her voice sounded grainy and cracked in the old record, but it was definitely her.

She sounded tired.

The guild chief's diary number thirty seven.

This is the end. I am lost in this maze, and I feel the claws of the Enemy pulling at my shadow. I see horrible things wherever I go - Strahd von Zarovich e is always one step ahead of me! Days have turned into weeks, and now I feel like I have been lost in this castle for years. His illusions are powerful; He tries to distort my perception of time. But I am woman of science - by marking my own arm every time I wake up, I have managed to keep a calendar of my
    besides Pidlwick. You're everything I have now, buddy.
    She gave a tired chortle. I promised I'd keep you safe, and I will.

26. - Top - End - #746

ElfWarriorGuy

wink Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The clockwork man was hesitant. He stepped back again, like a dog who has been beaten up too many times and knows it's always better to just give space. Only after a long moment of patience and kind words from Yikkol did the little man allow himself to let her approach him.

He jerked his chest-piece open. Inside, an intricate system of gears greased by human blood showed just how capable was the artificer responsible for that invention. The clockwork man was the perfect hybrid between man and machine, with real feelings and a beating heart, responsive brains and functional lungs. He was alive, of that there was no doubt. Whoever had invented that creature - certainly someone with the same power as Yikkol and her mother - had broken the last barrier that surrounded the architect's guild: the ability to create life. Thy had crossed the enormous gap that separated humanity from divinity and given life through their brains, not their womb.

In a secret compartment on his chest, there was a platinum amulet shaped like the sun and decorated with a large rubi in the center. It had a chain attached to it so it could be worn around the neck. Beside the amulet was an old audiograph card, which could be played by the little clockwork man himself. Underneath it, there were blueprints and notes for a project that enhanced the flying suit the fellowship had found in King Katsky's crypt.

The voice took Yikkol back to her dearest memories of her mother and the architect's guild. No vampire lord could be able to make such a perfect illusion - it was really her mother's voice, talking through a window to the past. She sounded grainy and cracked in the old record, but it was undoubtedly her.

She sounded tired.

The guild chief's diary number seventeen.

This is the end. I am lost in this maze, and I feel the claws of the Enemy pulling at my shadow. I see horrible things wherever I go - Strahd is always one step ahead of me. He tries to distort my perception of time with his illusion tricks, but I am woman of science: by marking my own arm every time I wake up, I have managed to keep a calendar of this expedition, and I know it has only been a couple of weeks since my squad crossed the threshold of Castle Ravenloft. By doing it with the tip of my blade, I have managed to break his illusion every time. The blood is a low price to pay for my sanity, I will much rather let it spill than allow Strahd to drink it!

We came here looking for Katsky. Generations of inventors have tried to find him, so when we heard he had traveled to Barovia, we had to come look for him. But it appears that our arrival was long anticipated by Strahd. He was ready for us. We never found Katsky, and now I lose hope. Rahadin has killed my companions and I know I'll be next. It is but a matter of time. Pidlwick is the only one I have now; I couldn't save my friends, but I can save this poor little creature. Strahd has mistreated him for far too long.

I leave this message as a last resource, a letter in a bottle cast onto the infinite ocean. Where I failed, others can succeed. Whoever you are, if you found this, I beg that you pick up the legacy of my people and destroy the lord of this castle. Find Katsky, who can reestablish the Architect's Guild... and give word to my family that I missed them till the last of my days. Yikkol, I am sorry! I wasn't strong enough. I... couldn't solve this problem.

The record ends with a loud _clack_. It can be replayed by Pidlwick or an audiograph device.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2024-02-10 at 10:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #747

Asha

Asha lowers his head, I'm so sorry Yikkol, he says quietly.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

For a long moment Yikkol is silent. Bori says something and then Asha, but Yikkol is too busy replaying her mother's voice in her head.

"It's all right, Mama," she whispers. "We'll kill Strahd and find where Katsky is hiding."

Softly, gently, she reaches for the blueprints and notes—her mother's writing, which is has not beheld before. A clever mechanism. I hadn't thought of that before. Yes, exactly what I would do here. She was a different kind of engineer from her mother, but Yikkol could see the grooves of thinking that her mother's ideas carved out. When the fellowship rested again, she would test some of these ideas out.

"Pidlwick? Have you seen a treasure around? Something of Strahd's or something that can hurt him.

"Or... Are you the treasure? Do you know how to defeat Strahd?"

29. - Top - End - #749

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro was fascinated by the small automaton only for it's craftsmanship; but saw that it held personal value for Yikkol and remained silent and respectful whilst she investigated and conversed with it.

When the amulet inside the automaton was displayed, Zinro guessed that this might be the treasure they were seeking and quietly began to the necessary arcane rites to ritually Identify it. The time it would take him to cast such a thing would hopefully give Yikkol enough time to say what she wanted and allow Zinro to handle the item to Identify it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whilst Yikkol and Pidlwick are interacting with each other, Zinro will Ritual Cast Identify, with the aim of Identifying the Amulet stored in Pidlwick. Zinro needs to use his Pearl of Power as a Material Component (it's not consumed), and will need to handle the Amulet when he's finished.

30. - Top - End - #750

ElfWarriorGuy

[Short Rest in the High Tower]

The castle was terribly quiet as the fellowship marched on to the final battle. They took the stairs from the High Tower Peak to the Catacombs, the longest staircase in the entire castle, entered the discreet doorway to the Brazier Room, opened the door on the left, climbed the stairs to Rahadin's office, and finally reached the room where, centuries ago, Strahd had entered a bloody frenzy and killed his own household guards. From there, a set of double doors would take them to the Hall of Bones, where, according to Ezmerelda's tarokka reading, they would find the Lord of the Castle for their final encounter. Pidlwick tagged along the entire time, often disappearing in the shadows and reappearing up ahead, crawling through cracks and gaps that formed secret tunnels in the ruined walls of Castle Ravenloft.

"Come forth, child." Strahd staggered to his feet. Even hunched over and weak, he was still far taller than mortal men. His servant knelt obediently and tilted its head to the side, exposing the neck for the vampire lord to bite. He took the spawn in his arms and drained it of all its blood, first in small sips, then in deep gasps and gulps until some of the crimson spilled over his chest and stained his centuries-old breastplate. When it was finally over, the body of the vampire spawn collapsed in a pile of ashes and scattered on the floor of the Hall of Bones. All that remained was the equipment that creature once carried in life, its spellcasting materials and gear. Satisfied, Strahd sat back in his chair and allowed himself a moment of rest.

The last of Sir Theodore's squad also knelt before him, a pathetic little pile of cowardice, shaking in fear of the his might. For a moment, Strahd wondered if it wouldn't have been wiser to drain that one instead... But his body ached for blood, and hunger was the only thing that clouded his wisdom. Either way, what was done was done. He sought comfort in the arms of his remaining bride, who still cried for the loss of Violenta and Ludmilla. "Will you kill them, my lord?" She cried and begged him. "Will you kill these... These... Champions who ended them both?"

Strahd didn't reply. He was finally back to his senses, at least temporarily, and there was no time to waste with tears. He reached for his magic mirror and said the ancient magic words, commanding it to spy on his enemies and reveal him their secrets.

Whatever Strahd saw there, it immediately startled him. He had wasted too much time, and his enemies were on the move. It was time to act.

The fellowship pushed the double doors open, but instead of Strahd von Zarovich, they found the legendary hunter Rudolph van Richten and his protegé Ezmerelda, finally reunited. Both had serious claw wounds all over their bodies, but also wooden stakes soaked in blood in their hands.

"You were too late." Although wounded and exhausted, Van Richten was still triumphant. "Brothers and sisters, I never doubted we would emerge victorious in the end. We must celebrate, now! Together! Strahd could have picked us off one by one, but together we were stronger than him. Vile creature!"