Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

wink [IC Viridian] Idylls of the Rat King [D&D 3.5]

D U N G E O N.....C R A W L.....C L A S S I C S.....#1
    Idylls of the Rat King
    By Jeffrey Quinn

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Silverton is a small village located two weeks north of the city of Soulgrave and three weeks south of the capital city of Archbridge. It is a small mining village that grew from the hard work of one merchant family, the Gannu family of Soulgrave. Jasper Gannu, prospector and patriarch of the Gannu family, discovered silver during a prospecting tour of the area over 100 years ago. He immediately spent his entire life’s savings on funding a small mining operation and opening the silver mine on a rich vein of ore. Miners and the poor, looking for work, flocked to the Gannu Silver Mine, creating a small boomtown less than half a day’s travel from the mine. Within a few months, the mining shafts broke through large underground chambers that were littered with bones and huge nuggets of silver ore. The miners found this to be strange and priests were brought in from both Soulgrave and Archbridge to cleanse the area of evil spirits. All the while, Jasper was growing very rich and powerful from the silver that was transported to the Miner’s Guild in Archbridge. Two years after the mine opened, Silverton, as the boomtown was called, began to erect permanent structures for the miners. The silver ore was plentiful and other mines began to open to the west of the town under the banner of Archbridge’s Miner’s Guild.

Our intrepid band of adventurers has just wrapped up a week-long assignment, safeguarding a caravan on its journey to deliver cherished mead to the taverns of Silverton. While en route, they encountered a bit of trouble in the form of a wolf pack, resulting in a few scrapes and bruises among our brave party. Eager to mend their wounds, the adventurers have sought out the locals' guidance, and they've been directed to none other than Renna's Herb Store for the remedy they seek.

Renna the Midwife's Herb Store is a quaint and welcoming establishment, located in the small village of Silverton. Renna's Herb Store occupies a charming wooden cottage nestled amidst the picturesque landscape of Silverton. The cottage is adorned with flowering vines, giving it a rustic and inviting appearance. A wooden sign hangs above the door, bearing the name "Renna's Herb Store" in delicate script, with depictions of various herbs and plants. Upon entering Renna's Herb Store, you are enveloped in the soothing aroma of dried herbs and flowers. The interior is cozy and well-organized, with wooden shelves lining the walls, displaying an array of colorful herbs, roots, and potions in neatly labeled jars and containers. Renna's collection of herbs is extensive and meticulously arranged. She offers a wide variety of healing herbs, each with its own unique properties. Herbs such as lavender, chamomile, and rosemary are neatly dried and bundled, ready for purchase. Rare and exotic herbs are stored in ornate glass jars, catching the soft light streaming in through small windows. From the front window of her shop, one can easily see the tall, snow capped mountain peaks off in the distance. In addition to herbs, Renna creates an assortment of potions and tinctures that line a separate shelf. These remedies are known throughout the village for their effectiveness in treating ailments. Bottles of soothing salves, healing elixirs, and sleep-inducing tonics are prominently displayed. One can also find vials of colorful, mystical liquids, each promising its own magical benefit.

For those of a more mystical bent, Renna's Herb Store is not limited to herbs alone. Shelves near the counter display an assortment of healing crystals, talismans, and amulets, each with its own spiritual significance to both dwarven and human cultures. These mystical items are said to ward off evil spirits and provide protection to those who carry them.

Renna herself is a warm and knowledgeable midwife and herbalist. Currently, she is behind the counter, ready to offer advice and assistance to customers seeking remedies for various ailments. Her gentle demeanor and years of experience have earned her the trust of the villagers, making her a respected figure in Silverton.

She greets the party pleasantly as they enter her serene shop, "Warm welcome and good tidings travelers. May your day be blessed by both The Shining One & Her Beneficence." She then pulls out a small cloth for each of you, moistens them with some cool water. "I offer you this small grace, a cool cloth to whisk away the sweat and grime of the road from upon your brows."

After a moment, she continues, "How may I be of service to you this day?"
    Games I am Running
    - Crown of the KOBOLD KING - IC | OOC | Doc

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC Viridian] Idylls of the Rat King [D&D 3.5]

Ashley "Ash" Kingsleaf
    Human Druid 1
    HP: 10/10, AC: 17
    Conditions: None
    Spell Slots: 0th: 3/3, 1st: 2/2

Bark
    Wolf (Animal Companion)
    HP: 13/13, AC: 14

"Thank you for this grace," Ash says, accepting the cloth with almost ceremonial delicacy and cooling herself and Bark off before, with a wry smile, pointing at the rest of the group and their injuries, "My friends seem to be allergic to sharp teeth."

Ashley Kingsleaf, or Ash as she was known, was a slightly shorter than average human with pale skin and ash black hair. She wore clothes of autumn regardless of the season and her companion, a wolf she named Bark and was very proud of herself for the pun, was deep black with a white chest.

Both of them looked out of place, but that would not deter them. "How have things been here in Silverton?"
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The small mountain of iron and leather next to her shifts, and Alan removes his helmet. The red-haired dwarf accepts the cloth with a grunt of thanks and wipes the day's sweat from his forehead.

Any word on new employment, perhaps? I wouldn't mind sleeping off some drinks at the inn, but a merc has to keep the jobs lined up!

The cloth is returned, substantially dirtier.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ember makes a stiff, ceremonial bow, and accepts the cloth. She then proceeds to carefully wipe the sweat off her arms and legs.

"Many thanks to you, my lady."

She turns to Alan.

"I suppose there could be a caravan doing the way back that could use our help."
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    AC: 15 | HP: 9/9
    Conditions: -
    L0 Spells: 5 | L1 Spells: 4
    Tersie glances around at the alchemical merchandise as the group enters the store.

"Are the wolves in this area usually so aggressive?" she asks Renna. Taking the offered cloth, she holds it until warm vapor begins to wisp from it, then runs it over her face, neck and arms.

She hands the clean and dry cloth back with a "Thank you."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh yes, the wolves are quite aggressive. They usually hound the caravans coming from Soulgrave. They rarely attack people, instead stealthily entering the camps at night and stealing wayward guard dogs, chickens, one time - even a horse. If you do not engage the wolves, they will not harm you... Most of the time. Looks like you lot attacked them. Got the better of them too, best I can see."

She smiles warmly and hands the party a potion of Virtue, "Here, for your troubles."

I have several potions that can temporarily relieve some wounds. She points to a shelf behind the counter with several bottles on it, "They are expensive to produce, unfortunately..."

Spoiler: Potions
    Show
    She has 3 potions of Cure Light Wounds (30gp each), 3 potions of Cure Minor Wounds (12gp each) and 9 potions of Virtue (10gp each).

Her brow furrows at the mention of goblins, "Besides the wolves, goblins are a growing problem. They have warrens out in the hills and woods. They attack caravans hauling silver north to the capital. Unlike the wolves, the goblins attack - and kill - people. Many have been hurt, injured... Many more, dead. I am sure the town would appreciate it if you could investigate the issue & drive them off.

Just then the door to the little shop bursts open. Hard. Rocketing the door backwards, straight into the wall.

A man flops into the shop, "H-h-help. Please." The man has thick auburn hair and blue eyes. He wears padded leather armor that is mottled with spear-sized holes. He has a longsword in a scabbard and a broken heavy crossbow on his back.

Renna rushes over with bandages and cloth. She starts stripping the man of his armor, so she can assess his wounds.

"My name is Gery Foxe. My family are the liege lords of a tower to the west of Silverton." He winces with pain, then continues, "I was heading north to the capital with the latest silver caravan. We were ambushed. Everyone is dead. I barely escaped... If not for the bravery of my men-at-arms...

He coughs, hard, spitting up some blood. Renna busies herself putting pressure on the man's wounds, then begins bandaging him up. She tries to calm the man down but Renna flashes several worried looks at the party.

"I was left for dead... I saw the goblins... Heading east..."

Gery passes out.

Renna finishes bandaging the man's head and comments, "There is an old abandoned mine to the east, perhaps that is where they are hiding out?"
    Last edited by GreenDragonPage; 2023-09-06 at 12:12 PM.
    Games I am Running

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    Tersie stares wide-eyed at the man's wounds and the damage to his armor. She reaches down to touch a discarded piece of ruined leather.

"These must be the goblins I am searching for," she breathes. "But the ones in our wood could not do this. Not to soldiers of the large folk. The elders were right. There is a power to fear here indeed..."

She turns to Renna.

"The mine–how is it reached from here?" she asks. "Need we only follow the road?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Ember looks with alarm at the grave wounds of the soldier, feeling powerless to help him.
    "This threat is much more serious than mere wolves. I suggest we set out at once to find these goblins!"

She waits for Renna to confirm the question from Tersie.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

[QUOTE=AscarothD;25859251]
    Coron Blackbood
    Half-Orc Warlock 1
    HP: 7/7, AC: 16
    Invocations: Summon Swarm
    The half-orc had accepted the cloth and wiped away the dust and the crust that seemed to have built up in his eyes, after freshening up, he folds the cloth and returns it to Renna, "Thank you for your kindness."

As he listened to the situation, Coron began to feel the need to focus on the goblins first, the sudden burst through the door and the severely injured man calling for help, snapped Coron to attention.

"It appears we need a plan if they also have wyverns at their disposal." he says, "I am ready to leave at any time to put an end to their thieving and murderous ways." says Coron. "Will this Gery Foxe be ok?" he asks Renna.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Renna looks down at her patient and sighs, "I am not sure if he will survive but I will do my best to help him. There is an old footpath leading to the mine, it snakes its way through the woods. It has been abandoned for years but I am sure you will be able to spot it. If not, you can ask one of the locals to guide you. They are just as eager to eliminate this threat as anyone else."

She stands up and grabs several potions from behind the counter, "Here, for your journey. Be safe."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She hands the party 1 Potion of Cure Light Wounds, 1 Potion of Cure Minor Wounds and 2 Potions of Virtue.

If you go searching for the path yourselves, it will require a DC10 Survival Check or you can ask a local to lead you there (no survival check required).
    Games I am Running

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    "We should find it ourselves," Tersie says. She looks at the unconscious Foxe and winces. "If that's what they do to a lord with armed men, no villager would survive."

Going over to the shop's door, she reaches up to the handle and tugs it open with some effort, slipping back out into the street.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Infernally Clay;25861753]
    Ashley "Ash" Kingsleaf
    Human Druid 1

Bark
    Wolf (Animal Companion)

Ash listens intently and then says "Don't worry, I’ll find the path. You should warn others that there may be goblins nearby,," she then turns to the others and says, "Let’s go. Don’t fall behind and expect trouble."

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check: (1d20+8)[11]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: [IC Viridian] Idylls of the Rat King [D&D 3.5]

Manari accepted the cloth and wiped the sweat and dreck away from her face, clicking her tongue at the leavings. She stands inscrutably among her companions, but then visibly grimaces at the scene after Gery arrives, especially at the condition that he is in.

At Coron's mention of wyverns, she merely mouthed the word, looking at the orc-man in shock.

Once everyone resolved to venture forth, Manari gave Gery a comforting touch on his shoulder before leaving, but did not look into his eyes.
    In response to Ash's urgings, Manari nods in agreement. "Yes, let us..."
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Renna stands at the doorway and calls out to the party, I will pray to the gods you are successful." as they venture off into the unknown...

Ash forges the path out into the woods. After a quick bit of forestry-detective work, the trail is found. It is overgrown and not easy to spot to the untrained or rushed eye. The party of adventurers makes haste, traveling east, then north-east.

Through the dense underbrush and tangled trees you have followed the beaten trail of the goblins that have been plaguing the town of Silverton. Before you is the open mouth of the abandoned Gannu family silver mine. The time has come to be heroes...

Show
    From the outside, the mine shaft appears to be a long, dark tunnel. Goblin footprints clearly lead inside... What will you do?
    Games I am Running

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Coron Blackbood
    Half-Orc Warlock 1
    As they approach the mine, it seems that the goblins may be inside due to the time of day and have no reason to stand guard, or if they are, they haven't made their presence known.

"Will we lure them out, or go in after them?" asks Coron. "I have no objection to either, I can summon a swarm of bats that could cause a distraction once we are within thirty paces."

16. - Top - End - #16

No telling how many goblins could be in there. Alan remarks. Trying to lure them out could bring the whole mess of them, or just give them time to fortify. I say we go in and try to catch them unaware.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    AC: 17 | HP: 9/9
    L0 Spells: 5 | L1 Spells: 3
    "Most of us cannot see in total darkness," Tersie points out. "If we tried to sneak in there with a light, it would hardly be sneaking at all–and then they'd all be on us anyway. Not to mention that we are hardly competent sneaks, as a whole."

She touches a finger to her leather armor and murmurs a spell of warding.

"I think there may be a way to lure only some of them out." she says. "I can disguise myself as a goblin and pretend to be menaced by one of you in sight of the mine entrance, while the rest hide. They probably won't send a large force to deal with one enemy, then we can capture one and interrogate it about their defenses."

Show
    Tersie casts Mage Armor on herself. Armor bonus to AC increases to +4.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Ember does not allow herself to enjoy trailing through the forest, even if it is a great pleasure to her. Danger is too immediate for that.
    "I like your plan, Tersie."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ashley "Ash" Kingsleaf
    Human Druid 1

Bark
    Wolf (Animal Companion)

"Then we should hide and prepare to ambush them,," Ash suggests.

20. - Top - End - #20

Fair enough I suppose. As the least quiet and most heavily armored of us, I nominate myself for the menacing.

A hint of humor enters Alan's eyes.

But if we meet any dwarves, keep your mouth shut about this tricky stuff. Anyone asks, you had to hold me back from charging in singlehanded!
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2023-09-09 at 08:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Coron Blackbood
    Half-Orc Warlock 1
    "I will stay within sight, I can use my eldritch magic to strike from a distance, it's not much, but enough sting a little bit." says Coron.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    L0 Spells: 5 | L1 Spells: 2
    Tersie clears her throat and mumbles a few words, half casting and half rehearsing her speech in Goblin. She ties her hair back, exposing her ears, which begin to lengthen slightly and become pointed. Her nose recedes until it is an almost-flat pair of nostrils in her face, and small fangs jut from her lower jaw. Her almost-white hair and green-gray skin turn jet black and mottled yellow respectively, and finally, her eyes sink into their sockets and bubble up into gory messes, as though some weapon had poked them out.

Her clothes remain unchanged.

"Still a little small for a goblin," she notes, "but it's best not to risk any large physical changes with this spell, or they start wondering why their hand passes through yours. Everyone ready?"

Then she runs out in front of the mine entrance, stumbling and clutching her side as she goes.

"Help me!" she cries in Goblin as she goes. "A dwarf! Oh, spirits, save me!"

Just before reaching the threshold, she trips and collapses, choking on dust. She tries to raise herself up on her arms, crawling away from Alan like the blind woman she is pretending to be.

"No, please!" she screams, putting a desperate scratch in her voice as she appears to feel her way forward. "Someone, help!"

Show
    Tersie casts Disguise Self to make herself look like a goblin.

Anyone who interacts with the glamer gets a DC 14 Will save to recognize it as an illusion, though note she has only changed the appearance of her head and skin, so apart from her exposed head and neck, her equipment is covering the glamered areas on her body.

23. - Top - End - #23

Alan poses like a hero from a copper-piece adventure novel and bellows (in Dwarvish) like a drill sergeant.

FOUL GOBLIN! Now that I have cornered you away from your comrades, the vengeance of my ancestors shall visit you this day! Though I may be alone myself, and burdened by the valuable treasure I carry, I will prevail in a fair, one-on-one fight! Make peace with dying alone and forgotten, for, um, verily? Yes, verily I will smite you this day, for the honor of my Dwarven clan!
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2023-09-10 at 02:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: [IC Viridian] Idylls of the Rat King [D&D 3.5]

Manari seems to supportive of all in this task, and makes a mental note of the spellcaster's abilities. "I have sleeping charms that I can work to keep us from being overrun, and from being divided. As well, and I hope that it doesn't come to it, a spell that can create jets of flame."
    Of course, once things came into their motions, Manari ducked away with the other of her companions...
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ember observes the most dramatic scene from a sideway viewpoint on the cave entry. She cannot help but find the situation quite preposterous, but she keeps that to herself. Silently, she watches whether anything comes out of that cave.

Show
    If needed: taking 10 on a Spot check for a result of 17.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The clever trick works, as two goblins can be heard charging up the tunnel. You can hear the two talking to one another in hushed, but quickly growing to loud, tones.

Spoiler: For those that speak goblin
    Show

<Did the humans follow us?> asks one goblin in their strange language.

<No. We killed all of them.> retorts the other.

<But then who is attacking our kin up at the end of the tunnel? The goblin said Dwarves but I haven't seen any dwarves recently. Maybe wolves are up there?> asks the first goblin.

<WOLVES!?> The second goblin bursts out laughing. <The goblin up top said DWARVES dumb dumb! You know short humans with thick beards! They like digging and drinking...>

<I know what a Dwarf is! Don't laugh at me!> yells the first goblin. .

<Don't tell me not to laugh at you, dumb dumb!>

The goblins sound like they are 40-ish feet down the tunnel but they seemed to have stopped. It almost sounds like they are pushing and shoving one another. Maybe even wrestling...? Alan then recites his lines about being a mighty dwarven hero.

Spoiler: For those that can speak goblin
    Show

<You hear that, DUMB DUMB! There is a dwarf up there. Wolves can't speak, dumb dumb!>

<Stop calling me a dumb dumb, dumb dumb! And wolves CAN speak! We met that one who can talk!>

<That doesn't count. She was special.>

<Shut up dumb dumb! You know I am right! Stop being so mean!>

The two goblins' conversation then devolves into petty squabbling and name calling.

The goblins aren't moving. They just seem to be sitting down there, jostling... Perhaps readying themselves for a potent ambush...?
    Last edited by GreenDragonPage; 2023-09-12 at 12:25 AM.
    Games I am Running

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Tersie
    Forest Gnome Beguiler
    L0 Spells: 5 | L1 Spells: 2
    "Help me!" Tersie begs, trying to shout loud enough to cut over the goblins' altercation. She feigns losing strength, falling completely on the ground, only able to reach a despairing arm in their general direction.

"I don't... want to die..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Ember tenses as she hears the goblins approaching. Realizing her whole body is stiffened by the stress of an incoming fight, she forces herself to breath down in a slow, steady manner. Breath like a sloth.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2023-09-12 at 06:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Coron Blackbood
    Half-Orc Warlock 1
    Coron moves closer to the entrance, hoping he can still remain hidden within 25 feet from the entrance. Ensuring that if the goblins do make an appearance, he can then summon a swarm behind them just inside the entrance of the cave.

30. - Top - End - #30

...and your putrid soul will be dragged before its odious creator, there to testify for an eternity on the fabled might of Alan Stonefist - that legendary dwarf whose hatred for goblinkind is matched only by his vast collection of SHINY TRINKETS! Goblins like trinkets, right?

Seeing Coran move, Alan stalks towards Tersie and the cave entrance, maintaining his increasingly grandiose stream of threats and taking a few practice swings with his sword.

Spoiler
    Show

If Alan can catch sight of a goblin (he has Darkvision) he drops the act and charges, otherwise he readies an action to partial charge an enemy who comes in range.

Atttack: (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[14]
    Bonuses for charging and dwarf vs goblinoid are included.