New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

The crown specifically shows up over player avatars. In multiplayer, it shows up on every avatar, whether the player is in game or not, or a custom origin or not.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You could actually turn off that setting before - at least on PC, not sure about console. I'm guessing they disabled it by default across the board now.
    Well, maybe they didn't do that, because I just had it trigger the automatic second attack on me, even though it didn't before. Not sure what's going on there.

I don't see any options related to it the options menu though, so I don't believe that setting exists on the console version. Unless it's somewhere else on the PC version?
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #603
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, maybe they didn't do that, because I just had it trigger the automatic second attack on me, even though it didn't before. Not sure what's going on there.

I don't see any options related to it the options menu though, so I don't believe that setting exists on the console version. Unless it's somewhere else on the PC version?
    It's on the action bar on PC - no idea how that translates to console, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Here is a comparison between the two versions (PC top / Console Below)
    Spoiler
    Show

As a side note, you can just attack with your offhand first to prevent using both actions together. It'll leave your normal action free.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2023-11-03 at 12:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As a side note, you can just attack with your offhand first to prevent using both actions together. It'll leave your normal action free.
    That button doesnt always reliably works. Ive had Wyll often wasting his bonus action.

And "just use your off hand first" means wasting my bonus action on an attack. The reason i dont want the auto-Main Hand/off hand is because i don't want to spend ressources i did not explicitly asked to be spent.

When i ask the character to do a ***standard*** attack i dont mean "and use your bonus action while you are at it"

6. - Top - End - #606

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah that's the one (for PC anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    That button doesnt always reliably works. Ive had Wyll often wasting his bonus action.
    The button worked continuously for me, with three dual-wielders - Astarion (Swords bard), my Tav (Arcane Trickster Rogue) and Jaheira (Gloomstalker Ranger) dual-wielding on my last playthrough, and on all of them I was able to stop them from doing the automatic offhand so that I could trigger it manually or use their BA for something else. That was my mod-free playthrough though so maybe one of the mods will interfere with it now, dunno.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-11-03 at 11:14 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Btw...

Spoiler: Act 3 impossible check
    Show
    anyone else is a bit miffed that even a crit success doesnt do anything for the DC 99 check the game throws at you near the end of act 3? The game just showed a cinematic of me binding the Brain and then it breaking free

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

That doesn't look like anything I've seen in the console version at all. Where's it supposed to be?

And I'm aware, but as Cikomir said, there are situations where that's a problem. Sometimes I want to use my bonis action on something else, but want to attack with my action first. For instance, if I want Lae'zel (who I have as a sttength-based dual-wielder this run) to attack an enemy, then push them off a cliff to a spot where they'll be out of her movement range, I just can't currently.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Btw...

Spoiler: Act 3 impossible check
    Show
    anyone else is a bit miffed that even a crit success doesnt do anything for the DC 99 check the game throws at you near the end of act 3? The game just showed a cinematic of me binding the Brain and then it breaking free
    It does do something actually:

Spoiler
    Show
    Every Crit Success during that sequence takes a big chunk out of the brain's final HP you have to burn through (assuming you're not using the Gale method of brain removal, that is.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #610
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I haven't sat down to check but... can Astarion get sneak attack dice on a bite?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That doesn't look like anything I've seen in the console version at all. Where's it supposed to be?.
    The far left side of the UI at the bottom of the screen. If that is not correct, I can't help you any further as my UI apparently doesnt match your own.

As an aside, I knew a Bard could pull this off... But a Dark Urge Paladin?
    Spoiler: Mahkloopmah
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

It does do something actually:

Spoiler
    Show
    Every Crit Success during that sequence takes a big chunk out of the brain's final HP you have to burn through (assuming you're not using the Gale method of brain removal, that is.)
    So this is what caused the status effect at the end. I was wondering what prompted these.

Thanks!!

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    I haven't sat down to check but... can Astarion get sneak attack dice on a bite?
    I don't think so? I've never had it offer to do that when I've bitten a threatened enemy. I assume it doesn't work because bite doesn't involve an attack roll.

The far left side of the UI at the bottom of the screen. If that is not correct, I can't help you any further as my UI apparently doesnt match your own.
    It must not, yeah, because what I have there is just my currently-selected character's name and class level, with buffs/status effects listed above it. Odd, if you're on the PS5 version.

(I'm pretty sure that's the only console version that's out, right? X-Box has been delayed by the Series S issues, and I doubt they could get this running on the Switch if it has trouble on the Series S.)

14. - Top - End - #614

So, what subclasses are y'all doing?

MC Bard: Swords
    Astarion: Assassin
    Lae'zel: Battlemaster
    Karlach: Beastheart or whatever it is called; wolf aspect, bear for carrying capacity and easy shoving.
    Shadowheart: Life
    Wyll: Fiend, Blade
    Gale: Evoker

Haven't had Halsin or Jaheira long enough to choose for them... didn't even KNOW Minthara was an option. She just got killed a lot.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Karlach: Beastheart or whatever it is called; wolf aspect, bear for carrying capacity and easy shoving.

Haven't had Halsin or Jaheira long enough to choose for them... didn't even KNOW Minthara was an option. She just got killed a lot.
    First run:

MC: Light Cleric
    Shadowheart: Trickery, later respecced to War after mid-game plot event.
    Karlach: Berserker
    Wyll: Fiend/Blade
    Gale: Enchanter
    Astarion: Lore Bard
    Halsin: Land (barely used)
    Jaheira: Moon (barely used)
    Minthara: Killed.

Second/Current Run:

MC: Wild Magic Sorcerer
    Shadowheart: Vengeance Paladin
    Lae'zel: Eldritch Knight
    Karlach: Open Hand Monk
    Wyll: Fiend/Blade + Ancients Paladin
    Gale: Knowledge Cleric
    Astarion: Arcane Trickster
    Halsin: Moon (Unused.)
    Jaheira: Not yet recruited, probably just make her Land and then never use her.
    Minthara: Killed.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

MC is a Fiend Warlock, and Gale is an Abjurer (because he dies so damn often) but otherwise you might be me.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Colossus in the Playground

Somehow, most of my characters ended up doing magic. Laz'ael got Eldritch Knight, because I felt like githyanki should have psionics and that was the closest I could think of, so she's a Gish now. Astarion got magic to emulate vampire powers, because that made sense too. Wyll is a Paladin warlock now.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #618

I'm considering throwing Paladin on top of Wyll, and maybe Ranger on top of Astarion.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

First run:
    Durge: Hexblade Warlock
    Gale: Diviner Wizard
    Astarion: Originally Arcane Trickster Rogue/Fighter 2, later respecced to Thief Rogue when I realized he was never casting any spells or using action surge
    Lae'zel: Vengeance Paladin
    Karlach: Wildheart Barbarian
    Shadowheart: Trickery cleric
    Wyll: Barbarian/Bard/Cleric/Druid/Fighter/Monk/Paladin/Ranger/Rogue/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard
    Halsin: Druid of some sort, I never used him
    Minthara: I killed her
    Jaheira: Died in the assault on Moonrise Towers
    Minsc: Killed him too

Second run:
    Durge: Evoker Wizard
    Gale: Severed hand
    Astarion: Lore Bard
    Lae'zel: Battlemaster Fighter
    Karlach: Currently Vengeance Paladin, going to respec her to Vengeance Paladin 2/Swords Bard when we reach level 8
    Shadowheart: Trickery Cleric
    Wyll: Fiend Warlock
    Minthara: Killed her again
    Halsin, Jaheira, Minsc: Not yet recruited, no specific plans
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Currently? Second full playthrough: We are level 6 and just started the Mountain Path and Grymforge portion of act 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    These are final build projections.

MC, Dark Urge: Seldarine Drow
    Paladin 2 (Oath of the Ancients), Warlock 5 (Great Old One/Pact of Blade), Ranger 5 (Gloomstalker)
    Feats: Polearm Master, Sentinel
    (Currently: P1/W5/R0)

Astarion:
    Bard 6 (Swords). Fighter 6 (Eldritch Knight)
    Feats: Sharpshooter, any two others
    (Currently: F1/B5)

Wyll:
    Warlock 5 (Fiend/Pact of Blade), Paladin 4 (Vengeance), Rogue 3 (Assassin)
    Feats: Dual Wielder
    (Currently: W5/P1/R0)

Gale:
    Cleric 10 (Knowledge), Wizard 2 (Evocation)
    Feats: War Caster, Magic Initiate: Druid
    (Currently: C5/W1)

Shadowheart:
    Cleric 2 (Tempest), Sorcerer 8 (Storm), Wizard 2 (Evocation)
    Feats: Elemental Adept (Lightning), Warcaster or Magic Initiate; Warlock
    (Currently: C2/S4/W0)

Laezel:
    Fighter 5 (Eldritch Knight), Warlock 5 (Fey/Blade), Paladin 2 (Vengeance)
    Feats: Dual Wielder, any other
    (Currently: F1/W5/P0)

Karlach:
    Barb 3 (Berserker), Monk 6 (Open hand), Rogue 3 (Thief)
    Feats: Tavern Brawler
    (Currently: B1/M4/R1)

I am playing with the No Party Limits mod (and on Tactician) this time around.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2023-11-03 at 07:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #621

Bold are the only ones I'm likely to change playthrough to playthrough:

MC: 1st playthrough Tav HWElf Arcane Trickster Rogue / 2nd Playthrough Durge Open Hand Monk
    Astarion: Swords Bard
    Karlach: Wildheart Barbarian
    Shadowheart: Light (after Trickery) Cleric
    Wyll: Fiend/Blade
    Minsc: Hunter Ranger-Knight
    Jaheira: 1st playthrough Gloomstalker, 2nd playthrough Land Druid
    Minthara: Vengeance Paladin

Karlach, Shadowheart, Wyll, Minthara, and Minsc feel too tied to their class and subclass for me to change, and Gale I could probably try other subclasses.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

My setup is:
    Durge: Devotion Paladin
    Shadowheart: Trickery->Life Cleric
    Astarion: Assassin Rogue
    Gale: Evoker Wizard
    Wyll: Fiend Chainlock
    Karlach: Wildheart (bear)
    Halsin: Bear Bear, occasionally a Bare Bear (Moon Druid)
    Jaheira: staying in camp, some kind of Druid most likely Land

If I can complete this run (messing around with settings to get the lower city to run with a frame rate that doesn't cause lag) I'll likely abandon my partial ones and start a new post-Patch 4 run with a monk or archer Durge/Tav, but will keep most of the cast the same (Astarion will probably become a Gloomstalker or Swords Bard, and I'll likely do some multiclassing).
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2023-11-03 at 08:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Jaheira: staying in camp, some kind of Druid most likely Land
    No Minsc?

Also I highly recommend you take them with you at least to certain places, such as
    Spoiler: mild spoilers, location only
    Show
    the Tribunal and the Temple. They have some great unique dialogue there.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Mc: Durge Oathbroken Paladin5/Storm Sorcerer 7
    Lae'zel: Eldritch Knight Fighter 11/Rogue 1
    Wyll: Fiend Melee Warlock
    Shadowheart: Light Cleric
    Gale: Conjurer warming the bench in camp
    Halsin: spore druid who has sex alone in camp
    Karlach: hunted down successfully by the Blade of the Frontier
    Astarion: Rogue Assassin, killed after revealing to be a vampire trying to feed on the Durge.
    Jae'hera: Died during the assault on Moonshine
    Minsc: Died a madman in the sewers

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

No Minsc?

Also I highly recommend you take them with you at least to certain places, such as
    Spoiler: mild spoilers, location only
    Show
    the Tribunal and the Temple. They have some great unique dialogue there.
    Haven't found the hamster yet.

I also might use Jaheira more once I've ground up Halsin's approval.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

First run:

My "main team" was MC Tav(Swords Bard), Shadowheart (Trickery Cleric, later Tempest Cleric), Gale (Evocation), and Karlach (Berserker). At certain levels, I'd have Lae'zel (Battlemaster) instead of Karlach.

The other ones I'd only use when they were plot relevant. Astarion was Rogue Assassin/Ranger Gloomstalker, Wyll was Fiend Pact of the Blade, and the Druids and Minsc I'd hardly remember as I don't think I used them in combat at all. Jaheira I used a little bit in the "find Minsc" plot and at her house, I think she was Moon Druid. Minthara was killed

This second run, I'm going with the NPL mod, but still only using a "main four" in combat. I'm also heavily changing the characters. This time the main four are:

MC Durge (Conquest Paladin, also modded. Just now decided to make her a Conquest Paladin 7/Fiend Pact of the Blade 5 after "communing" with Mizora )
    Wyll (was Fiend Pact of the Chain, now just changed to Blade Pact). Was a Sorlock for a while, but now full Warlock again. Considered making him a Sorcerer after he broke his Pact, but decided not to.
    Astarion (Rogue Thief/Ranger Gloomstalker. Tried Beast Master for a while, but it was a pain to have the summons correctly follow all the time). I plan to have him alAscend, it will be fun to see his vampiric powers.
    Laezel (Open Hand Monk 9/Rogue Thief 3. Faster than a speeding bullet!). Has an unfortunate addiction to elixirs of Hill Giant Strength, just graduated to stronger drugs and is now regularly taking Elixirs of Cloud Giant Strength.

Supporting cast is:
    Gale (Divination Wizard 2/Lore Bard 10)
    Shadowheart (was trickery Cleric, now light Cleric)
    Karlach (Wild Heart Barbarian -wolf and elk. Animal talker of the group)
    Jaheira- Land Druid
    Minsc- Beast Master Ranger
    Halsin- White Dragon Sorcerer (I still don't understand why 2 Druids).
    Minthara- Vengeance Paladin (I'm using the mod that allows you to have her if you knock her out instead of killing her in Act I).

First run was "pragmatic good", second run is "pragmatic evil". I believe 3rd run will be the full evil one that kills refugees, becomes the Slayer, etc.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2023-11-04 at 09:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Bugbear in the Playground

Current Team:
    MC: Wood Elf Archfey Tome Warlock
    Shadowheart: Life Cleric
    Karlach: Veng. Paladin
    Astarion: Thief Rogue
    Wyll: Brass Draconic Sorcerer
    Jaheira will probably be Land Druid
    Halsin will sit in camp like a stump
    Minsc will likely be Wildheart Barbarian
    No Gale

Won't detail every past team but my own MC's have been Drow Spore Druid, Halfling Swords Bard and Deep Gnome Rogue/Barb
    Shadowheart goes Tempest or Life each game, Lae'zel did a game as Open Hands Monk, Wyll usually does Warlock 2/Sorc 10 (but with no Gale, I went full sorc this time), Astarion spent a game as a Beast Ranger. Gale's gone Evoker and Conjurer and I don't know if it made much difference. Even without Sculpt Spell, fights are usually spread enough (and Fireball radius nerfed) that landing AoEs without blasting my party is rarely an issue.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

In Act 3 and got the game running okay but I'm thinking of restarting just because I feel like Level 9 is too low and I should have started the act at roughly 10-11. Thinking of an Asmodeus Tiefling Ranger, either Hunter or Gloomstalker, who specialises in archery because their talent for blades scares them.

Thankfully there's a mod that restores Asmodeus Tiefling to having Thaumaturgy.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, Dark Urge question for people:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I'm at the point where I've started the endgame of Act 2. I let Shadowheart kill Nightsong, because I want to see that version of her story this time, and I figure my character this time isn't too invested in keeping Shadowheart from going full Sharran for various reasons. This drops the barrier on Last Light, which I knew it would (though of course my character didn't); turns out this does count as you killing Isobel for Dark Urge purposes, and I got my visit from the butler after.

My question: does this lock me into a more "embracing the urge" route at this point? My intention has been that, as the urge stuff has gotten more disturbing (especially after the butler showed his face), she's becoming more intent on resisting it. If I wasn't going for Shadowheart's Shar story, I wouldn't have killed Isobel. If I can't get the resisting the urge ending now, I'll probably want to re-load my pre-Shadowfell save and stop Shadowheart after all. If I still can, I think I'm good with this as-is, feels appropriate that this character would stumble into this result, and freaking out over it would make her that much more determined to resist the urge.

I'm particularly concerned because I'm not really getting dialogue options to be upset over what happened to Last Light or getting the Slayer form, only to be thrilled with it, at least with my companions. I did get to express that sort of thing during the scene with the Butler though, so, unclear if more will be forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    In Act 3 and got the game running okay but I'm thinking of restarting just because I feel like Level 9 is too low and I should have started the act at roughly 10-11.
    I don't even think it's possible to be level 11 when you hit Act 3, and being level 10 when you get there requires doing basically everything beforehand (it's looking like I'll probably barely get there at the end of Act 2 on this run, and I think that's about where I was on my first). I don't see being level 9 at that point as likely to be an issue.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-11-04 at 02:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630

Okay, Dark Urge question for people:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I'm at the point where I've started the endgame of Act 2. I let Shadowheart kill Nightsong, because I want to see that version of her story this time, and I figure my character this time isn't too invested in keeping Shadowheart from going full Sharran for various reasons. This drops the barrier on Last Light, which I knew it would (though of course my character didn't); turns out this does count as you killing Isobel for Dark Urge purposes, and I got my visit from the butler after.

My question: does this lock me into a more "embracing the urge" route at this point? My intention has been that, as the urge stuff has gotten more disturbing (especially after the butler showed his face), she's becoming more intent on resisting it. If I wasn't going for Shadowheart's Shar story, I wouldn't have killed Isobel. If I can't get the resisting the urge ending now, I'll probably want to re-load my pre-Shadowfell save and stop Shadowheart after all. If I still can, I think I'm good with this as-is, feels appropriate that this character would stumble into this result, and freaking out over it would make her that much more determined to resist the urge.

I'm particularly concerned because I'm not really getting dialogue options to be upset over what happened to Last Light or getting the Slayer form, only to be thrilled with it, at least with my companions. I did get to express that sort of thing during the scene with the Butler though, so, unclear if more will be forthcoming.
    I honestly have no idea. Most people planning to resist save her, and most people planning to embrace kill her. I have no idea what happens if you become the Slayer on a resist run.

I don't even think it's possible to be level 11 when you hit Act 3, and being level 10 when you get there requires doing basically everything beforehand (it's looking like I'll probably barely get there at the end of Act 2 on this run, and I think that's about where I was on my first). I don't see being level 9 at that point as likely to be an issue.
    Agreed - my first playthrough I was even lower than that (8 going into Act 3) and I didn't have any issues apart from Cazador - and even that wasn't due to difficulty, rather it was due to not knowing how to stop {redacted} from happening for the first few tries.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-11-04 at 05:54 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy