New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Fair points, I hadn't considered them.

Thank you for pointing that out.
    If it makes you feel any better, no small part of why I'm good at pointing out stuff like that is I've been on the receiving end of similar things than enough times.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-03-13 at 12:53 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a quick look at the true neutral planar beings, and noticed the rilmani. I had a quick look, and came across this: In AD&D, they could grant Wish.

"Once per day the aurumach can use any symbol or time stop, once per year she can grant another's wish."

https://www.completecompendium.com/appendix/rilmauru/

There were a few references to old-edition creatures transported to 3.0, back when MitD's type was set in stone. rilmani and aurumach is just one such option, I'm sure there are other ones. If someone dislike the Protean option, they could go looking for old AD&D stuff... and being from a previous edition could be an interesting meta-explanation for various reactions to MitD's appearance.

I don't think Aurumach is a perfect fit, even though it's the one I noticed this with. Still, while the stats and abilities don't quite fit, having a true neutral keeper of balance join team evil at first, then switch to team good if they are losing would fit some of their themes.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    maybe that's not their point of commonality.
    Maybe. I appreciate you considering it. And since we were just talking about confidence, I'm not super confident in this going anywhere. Just enough to mention it.

EDIT: OTOH, maybe this is a good time to mention again how much more efficient the story would be if monsters from the other side of the gate came to this side. Then we could learn more about what's on the other side of the gate without having to travel there.

Confidence: Probably less than the previous, but I'd be excited for this to happen. Finding out just that the gates are related to people knowing what the Monster in the Dark is would be meh.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2024-03-13 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    Everybody who thinks they know what the Monster in the Dark is has a connection to the gates.
    Except for the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Except for the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters.
    I'm happy to just include that and let people decide for themselves. Everyone except the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters.

Who knows, maybe it will turn out the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surprised to find the monster because it's not near a gate.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2024-03-13 at 01:33 PM.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm happy to just include that and let people decide for themselves. Everyone except the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters.

Who knows, maybe it will turn out the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surprised to find the monster because it's not near a gate.
    And whichever sage O-chul consulted.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And whichever sage O-chul consulted.
    Soon. He wrote stuff down, and they teach it to inductees.

Also, somewhere in here I quietly joined the camp that thinks Serini will recognize the Monster in the Dark.

So there it is, you teased a prediction out of me. But I'd like it remembered as a C-tier prediction at best.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Soon. He wrote stuff down, and they teach it to inductees.

Also, somewhere in here I quietly joined the camp that thinks Serini will recognize the Monster in the Dark.

So there it is, you teased a prediction out of me. But I'd like it remembered as a C-tier prediction at best.
    Soon is absolutely not the sage that was consulted? The sage isn't a member of the Sapphire Guard, all surviving members are accounted for.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #759

Everybody who thinks they know what the Monster in the Dark is has a connection to the gates.
    Well, sure, but that's sort of by necessity since MitD is being used by people whose entire plan of action is to capture a Gate. Most everyone he meets and spends any significant time with is going to have a connection to the Gates because of that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-03-13 at 02:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, sure, but that's sort of by necessity since MitD is being used by people whose entire plan of action is to capture a Gate. Most everyone he meets and spends any significant time with is going to have a connection to the Gates because of that.
    Indeed.

In fact, the only recurring characters who don't have any tie to the Gates are people related to the Order's members through their pre-comic life and/or family history.

If it makes you feel any better, no small part of why I'm good at pointing out stuff like that is I've been on the receiving end of similar things than enough times.
    I don't feel bad when people demonstrates I am incorrect about something.

Being proven incorrect means I'll be more correct going forward.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-03-13 at 02:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Be careful, crows eat flowers ! (I know it because the internet told me).
    But… They are birdies and very smart and very pretty and BIRDIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    isn't a member of the Sapphire Guard, all surviving members are accounted for.
    No? When Azure City fell, as per O-Chul himself, many Paladins were away, and the only one of these whose ultimate fate we are aware of is Thanh.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    - Xykon claims to have read about the species.
    Please remind me, where was this?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Please remind me, where was this?

GW
    Here.

The fact that he changes from "eat the dwarves" to "maybe I'll zombify them then" seems to imply this isn't Xykon lying or just trying to get the MitD to be more intimidating. After all, he insists on the you-should-eat-children diet.

Even if it is Xykon lying or misremembering, it does indicate that he considers "I read about your kind" to be a believable situation.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

I was more interested in giving people the opportunity to commit to their assessments than winning. After what happened last time, even 20% seems like too much confidence.
    What do you mean "what happened last time"?

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Heh, I didn't actually know that was a rule. But I already have a gambling forum I can post on for gambling, and also I generally discourage gambling if you're not a professional (or aspiring to be).
    Spoiler: But I have a system!
    Show
    The house always wins, so you just need to bet the house. By definition, you can't lose!

Charles Wells, eat your heart out.

16. - Top - End - #766

So this is not going to be well said, because I never mastered thinking only in necessary and sufficient conditions, but the questions at the back of my mind are:

Which characters has Rich emphasized as having seen the Monster in the Dark? Like, the people in the Circus Scene obviously, but not Tsukiko, who has had plenty of opportunity but Rich hasn't brought up whether she has or hasn't.

Of those characters, which has Rich emphasized as not recognizing the Monster in the Dark? So, the guy in the Circus Scene who's never seen anything like it, but not the other people in the Circus Scene because they don't say anything.

How big is that group compared to Xykon, Redcloak, O-Chul, Oona, the Big Game Hunters, and Qarr?

If we're going to dismiss being close to the gates as a commonality because everyone in the story is close to the gates, do we have to talk about the possibility that it's not that hard to know what the Monster in the Dark is? It seems like a big chunk of the people who've seen it and said something have a hunch what it is.

And if that's silly, then identifying the group that Rich wants us to know don't recognize the Monster in the Dark might make it easier to identify what group is recognizing the Monster in the Dark. But if I can forget the big game hunters, I'm not the guy to do that.

What do you mean "what happened last time"?
    I alleged that there were scenes in Start of Darkness that the Protean didn't fit. I can't remember anyone actually disagreeing with me. Instead I got, "That's not fair," "You're hurting our feelings," "It's okay if the Protean doesn't fit because we don't have a better answer," "It's good that the Protean doesn't fit because it creates mystery and ambiguity," and, "We have to talk about something else now."

I will grant that the wisdom of the crowd could be on to something here, I just want to know if that really shakes out as, "85% chance it's a Protean."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767

How big is that group compared to Xykon, Redcloak, O-Chul, Oona, the Big Game Hunters, and Qarr?
    Conversely, how well does it bode for your theory that 28% of the people who recognized him are not even involved with the Gates? 42% if we count Qarr among them, since he got to involved significantly later than anyone else and we don't have much indication he knows all that much at all about them anyway.

"You're hurting our feelings,"
    I don't recall anyone ever saying this about any creature. Can you provide a quote? Your other claims as to responses seem heavily editorialized as well, but this one is by far the most glaring.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-03-14 at 09:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768

Conversely, how well does it bode for your theory
    What theory?

I don't recall anyone ever saying this about any creature. Can you provide a quote? Your other claims as to responses seem heavily editorialized as well, but this one is by far the most glaring.
    If that person speaks up, I will talk with them about it, but I'm not outing them just so you can defend their words as meaning something else, without their permission.

You were in the, "It's okay if it doesn't fit because we can't find better," and the, "Let's talk about something else," camp:

Then I assume you object to every creature suggested so far, including yours?
    I hate quoting you here because we are so obviously going to sink into a discussion about how you are generally awesome and if your words don't convey that instantly then it's the fault of the people reading them.

The real point is your first reaction was not to say that the Protean fits everything.

But, to be fair, in searching for who said the feelings quote, I came across a few people who tried to make the Protean fit the scenes I suggested, so my memory cheated everyone there. I think the way forward for me from here is to say that the attempt was worth a lot more than whether or not they persuaded me, given all the people who wouldn't even attempt.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2024-03-14 at 11:34 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

What theory?

If that person speaks up, I will talk with them about it, but I'm not outing them just so you can defend their words as meaning something else, without their permission.

You were in the, "It's okay if it doesn't fit because we can't find better," and the, "Let's talk about something else," camp:

I hate quoting you here because we are so obviously going to sink into a discussion about how you are generally awesome and if your words don't convey that instantly then it's the fault of the people reading them.

The real point is your first reaction was not to say that the Protean fits everything.

But, to be fair, in searching for who said the feelings quote, I came across a few people who tried to make the Protean fit the scenes I suggested, so my memory cheated everyone there. I think the way forward for me from here is to say that the attempt was worth a lot more than whether or not they persuaded me, given all the people who wouldn't even attempt.
    Maybe some people are willing to admit their proposal has flaws while still beliving it?

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Maybe some people are willing to admit their proposal has flaws while still beliving it?
    Totally legit! But how much? It took me months to figure out I was ready to try the gambling thing, and if someone else hadn't brought it up first I might've sat on it forever, but I really was ready to cover every single bet just to find out what odds people would actually put money down on. I was thinking of putting them in my signature to discourage people betting longer odds than they'd accept. Probably would've failed. And if I can't bring it up later I'm not sure what placing bets buys me.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Which characters has Rich emphasized as having seen the Monster in the Dark? Like, the people in the Circus Scene obviously, but not Tsukiko, who has had plenty of opportunity but Rich hasn't brought up whether she has or hasn't.

Of those characters, which has Rich emphasized as not recognizing the Monster in the Dark? So, the guy in the Circus Scene who's never seen anything like it, but not the other people in the Circus Scene because they don't say anything.
    Cherry picking the above, I want to point out that just because the other people in the circus scene do not say that they have never seen anything like it does not mean that they have ever seen anything like it prior to the circus. A perfectly reasonable inference here is that many people at the circus are repeat customers, like, say, the goblins. They have seen it before, but only AT THE CIRCUS. They don't necessarily have a clue what it is, but they have seen it before.

That's just my two cents and I can certainly be completely wrong here.
    This space for rent.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

What theory?
    Your statement implying an interest in exploring the idea that you might think a connection to the Gates might provide some commonality in recognizing the MitD.

While I don't think that a likely connection, I think there may be other commonalities...like the races of the non-specialists that suggest they recognize it. Big game hunters and liches being specialists in this case.

Random thoughts:

"Bet the house" is colloquial for betting everything you have deemed appropriate to risk. I would be all-in on "not protean" assuming no worse than flat odds (which obviously would be a stupid set for the house), and very likely at most any reasonable odds.

No one needs anyone's permission to render an opinion on something put in a public forum. There is no reasonable right to privacy or control of opinion on what anyone posts GitP. So espousing taking the moral high ground on not backing up your statement that someone said (in quotes) you hurt their feelings as fallout from a previous post is well within your scope, but it makes it look an awful lot like a girlfriend at Niagara Falls, and casts a cloud over your other statements. I think you often have interesting things to say. I agree with your expectation that post reveal there won't be any legitimate "But wait, that can't be!" arguments. I think that sometimes these nuggets get lost, that's all.

My opinions, for whatever that's worth.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

The posts are public. You can't "out" someone by quoting something they publicly posted. Frankly, this looks like a thinly veiled excuse for not even attempting to support your assertion. (Or another one of those posting rules that you invented in your head.)

24. - Top - End - #774

(Or another one of those posting rules that you invented in your head.)
    This one. I hate what this forum does with quotes, even when the person is right there and consenting. I almost didn't quote Peelee to himself because I dread that conversation.

I hate the pervasive assumption on this board that you can change how people feel by redefining the words they use to describe themselves.

I hate that you are all completely helpless to figure out what I mean in any given situation and then accuse me of being insensitive.

And I really hate that this could've just slid. When I refused to name the person, you could've guessed that I was never going to bring it up again because that would've required a quote.

So, no, not having this conversation.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775

I almost didn't quote Peelee to himself because I dread that conversation.
    Not much conversation to be had when you take what i say differently from what I mean, despite that few, if any, other people seem to have similar difficulty interpreting my (usually quite plain and direct) words.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and assume nobody said "you're hurting my feelings".

26. - Top - End - #776
    Colossus in the Playground

I hate the pervasive assumption on this board that you can change how people feel by redefining the words they use to describe themselves.
    Oh well I can help you with that one. No one is thinking about "changing how people feel" except perhaps you.
    I hate that you are all completely helpless to figure out what I mean in any given situation and then accuse me of being insensitive.

And I really hate that this could've just slid.
    You could try not saying people have said things they haven't?

Let the record state that, whether or not I am one of the people Tubercular Ox is attributing lines to today, I do not give my consent for him to stick words in my mouth. Ever. I do give my consent for anyone (including Tubercular Ox) to point out "Kish never said that" if he does so despite my expressed lack of consent.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Looking at the bet discussion (and recognizing, of course, that there will be no actual bets), I do not think "you're not willing to put actual money on the Protean, so your faith is weak" would be a logically valid approach. A much more interesting question, to me, is how people would act in the following situation:

An entity offers the following bets. You can choose any number of them, and put an amount of money on each with a limit somewhere in six figures. Each has 1:1 odds.

1) The comic will reveal the creature in the darkness to be a protean.
    2) The comic will reveal the creature in the darkness to be anything that is not a protean.
    3) The comic will reveal the creature in the darkness to be a hunting horror.
    4) The comic will reveal the creature in the darkness to be anything that is not a hunting horror.

There is no doubt that the entity will pay off all bets that someone wins, nor that the entity is able to collect if someone loses. It is unclear whether, if someone should bet and lose money they do not have, the entity would be able to teleport away future paychecks, able to enslave that person's soul if they die still indebted, or would simply disappear (with all the money that person currently has but no more) if they declared bankruptcy.

Betting both 1 and 2, or both 3 and 4, means hedging. If you bet an exactly equal amount on either of those pairs, the entity will give you a flat look and not record the bet.

Betting 1 and 3 would guarantee losing at least one bet.

Betting the same amount on 2 and 4 would mean that if the creature turns out to be (say) a slaad, you win both. If the creature turns out to be either a protean or a hunting horror, you get nothing. You cannot lose money in this scenario.

Betting the same amount on 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, would mean you could potentially win--or lose--twice the limit.

Given the guarantees I've stated, betting nothing at all would be fundamentally irrational (the 2 and 4 combination can get much money and can't lose any), but I suspect some people would have enough of an aversion to gambling to choose it anyway.
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-03-14 at 05:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the guarantees I've stated, betting nothing at all would be fundamentally irrational (the 2 and 4 combination can get much money and can't lose any), but I suspect some people would have enough of an aversion to gambling to choose it anyway.
    Or implode trying to figure out how the House makes their margin. Is it souls? I usually think it is souls when it is something like this. Interest floats or transaction fees also apply.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Or implode trying to figure out how the House makes their margin. Is it souls? I usually think it is souls when it is something like this. Interest floats or transaction fees also apply.

- M
    Well, since we're dealing with mysterious cosmic entities, one possibility would be that the entity accumulates karma points or something similar by offering bets or brokering deals. Whether you win or lose, the mere fact that you made the bet gives the entity its "commission".
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Well, duh. Any deal too good to be true is likely to be precisely that. So if this entity presents such a deal, possibly hinting with a smile that certain betting pattern is guaranteed to gain me money, the only rational conclusion I can reach is that it's a scam, and that I shouldn't just walk way, but probably run.

And if it is NOT a scam, I am still left in a position where the bad feelings from potentially losing easily surpass any good feelings I could get. The anxiety alone would add such a malus to the potential gains that makes any betting just impossible.

Also, is Ox once again claiming people said thing that no-one has actually said? Is it Thursday already?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-03-14 at 06:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #780

Looking at the bet discussion (and recognizing, of course, that there will be no actual bets), I do not think "you're not willing to put actual money on the Protean, so your faith is weak" would be a logically valid approach. A much more interesting question, to me, is how people would act in the following situation:
    Have we had this discussion? Like, maybe we talked about odds, and maybe someone proposed something like this, so maybe this is how I got started thinking like this in the first place?

If so, then I can testify that this game works all the way until it doesn’t. I found a number, and I was proud of it, but then I looked at it and said, “If I’m really this confident, why aren’t I doing something?” But no sooner did I put my fingers on the keyboard than the number I thought about changed. I was thinking about things like whether I wanted escrow, whether I would need that money before Rich had the reveal, what to do if something happened and we never got a reveal.

But that’s exactly what I wanted out of this experiment. Not how much money I want to bet, but how important this is to me. It’s possible one of the reasons I came forward is because I’m still playing the game of trying to make that number budge. It’s possible that I think this was a wonderful experience and everyone should have a chance. It’s possible that I think this was a miserable experience and misery loves company. I don’t know. But there is more at stake here than just money.

And since betting is out, I will go back to the drawing board on how to isolate what I think my actual chances are from any bravado that might be in play.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    Cherry picking the above, I want to point out that just because the other people in the circus scene do not say that they have never seen anything like it does not mean that they have ever seen anything like it prior to the circus. A perfectly reasonable inference here is that many people at the circus are repeat customers, like, say, the goblins. They have seen it before, but only AT THE CIRCUS. They don't necessarily have a clue what it is, but they have seen it before.

That's just my two cents and I can certainly be completely wrong here.
    With your help, I think my mistake the first time was in being too Watsonian. I’m curious about what Rich is saying when he’s trying to talk to us, rather than what we can infer. So the circus scene, regardless of any of that, is most memorable (on this topic) for telling us that the Monster in the Dark is not easily recognized.

I’m the guy who let the big game hunters slip, so it seems like getting a better picture is the next step.
    Show