New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Madame Web Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    She's actually a mutant which if it gets brought up in this could have some interesting implications.
    Wasn’t Shriek (or whoever Kasady’s girlfriend in Let There Be Carnage was) also a mutant in the comics though? And with her they just glossed over it. I suspect they’ll do the same here.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    So Marvel has produced and showrun the three new movies (all of which have been wildly successful) with Sony distributing them and splitting the monies. Now that deal is over and we are waiting to see if Sony (wisely IMO) makes a new deal or decides "NO! We'll make the movies from now on and get all the monies!"
    This is generally a really good recap but it is missing an important step in why they came to that conclusion.

Namely Into the Spider-Verse.

I suspect it was that film being as critically and commercially successful as it was that made Sony go 'hang on, why do we need to give Marvel so much of the monies again?'.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_One View Post
    This is generally a really good recap but it is missing an important step in why they came to that conclusion.

Namely Into the Spider-Verse.

I suspect it was that film being as critically and commercially successful as it was that made Sony go 'hang on, why do we need to give Marvel so much of the monies again?'.
    And then they made Morbius, which flopped, not once but, twice in theaters.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VampiricLongbow View Post
    I'm still holding out hope for a third time.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

It looks like the trailer to a CW series.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

I mean, Madame Web will at least beat that, right? ...Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I mean, Madame Web will at least beat that, right? ...Right?
    At the very least, the trailer is way better. I haven't actually watched the Morbius movie but the trailer for it might be the worst I've ever seen. I usually kinda like watching trailers, even if I don't think I'll like the movie they're for very much, but the Morbius trailer was just so thoroughly bad and unappealing to me.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    At the very least, the trailer is way better. I haven't actually watched the Morbius movie but the trailer for it might be the worst I've ever seen. I usually kinda like watching trailers, even if I don't think I'll like the movie they're for very much, but the Morbius trailer was just so thoroughly bad and unappealing to me.
    I think it has the opposite problem - its the kind of trailer that gives away way too many plot beats. But I could see that working in its favor for the folks who see Ezekiel and think "ooh, dark spiderman".
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

What kills me about Morbius is that he is actually a really cool and tragic character who could absolutely headline a movie. I low key suspect part of the problem with the MCU Blade movie is executives and producers thinking superhero vampires can't work today because Morbius was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I think a lot of general audience members will be drawn into theaters to see "Evil Spider-Man".
    Last edited by VampiricLongbow; 2023-11-16 at 09:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I low key suspect part of the problem with the MCU Blade movie is executives and producers thinking superhero vampires can't work today because Morbius was so bad.
    Also the existence of an excellent and well liked Blade movie with a tone, attitude and level of gloriously schlocky violence that the MCU doesn't really do. Putting out something with MCU levels of smarm and weightless cartoon action is just asking for a savaging; it'd be an idea almost as awful as a PG-13 Joss Whedon remake of The Crow. Is it true to the comics? Don't know, don't care, Wesley Snipes Blade is perfect, and trying to convince me otherwise is ice skating uphill.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    This is perhaps the most damning critique I can think of. And it sucks that it is fairly true.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I low key suspect part of the problem with the MCU Blade movie is executives and producers thinking superhero vampires can't work today because Morbius was so bad.
    I want / no I demand a good Blade movie for I am the right age for the first one and all the 90s conspiracy stuff for Vampires tap into the same end of history / aliens conspiracy nonsense … but is more high brow with a secret society much like their is a Harry Potter secret conspiracy of people mind wiping muggles like it is Will Smith with his neuralyzer.

=====

I am saying I am for a Blade movie and I will adore pretty much anything they put out unless it is bad. But I am now questioning if people older than me by 15 years or younger than me by 15 years would enjoy it for the same reasons or is their a cultural, historical, and tech zeitgeist that may not resonate with all ages?

Like do we have a secret society of vampires in a world of cell phones? How does that work, oh I know familiars can be captured on camera but vampires are invisible to visual cameras much like they do not show up on mirrors, so on and so on? Likewise talented vampires have magic, but not all vampires are spellcasters.

My point here is part of me assumes it would be very easy to make a Blade movie, if I do not overthink it, yet using Blade to open up different aspects of the MCU is playing with fire in the world building that is on the level of the X-Men and mutants, aka hard. While secret kung fu societies is much easier to integrate into the world building lore.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I want / no I demand a good Blade movie for I am the right age for the first one and all the 90s conspiracy stuff for Vampires tap into the same end of history / aliens conspiracy nonsense … but is more high brow with a secret society much like their is a Harry Potter secret conspiracy of people mind wiping muggles like it is Will Smith with his neuralyzer.

=====

I am saying I am for a Blade movie and I will adore pretty much anything they put out unless it is bad. But I am now questioning if people older than me by 15 years or younger than me by 15 years would enjoy it for the same reasons or is their a cultural, historical, and tech zeitgeist that may not resonate with all ages?

Like do we have a secret society of vampires in a world of cell phones? How does that work, oh I know familiars can be captured on camera but vampires are invisible to visual cameras much like they do not show up on mirrors, so on and so on? Likewise talented vampires have magic, but not all vampires are spellcasters.

My point here is part of me assumes it would be very easy to make a Blade movie, if I do not overthink it, yet using Blade to open up different aspects of the MCU is playing with fire in the world building that is on the level of the X-Men and mutants, aka hard. While secret kung fu societies is much easier to integrate into the world building lore.
    Historically speaking, the reasoning behind vampires being reflectionless was tied to their weakness of silver. It also explained pictureless, since old school cameras also used silver.
    A vampire of today should both have a reflection and show up on camera since the technology behind it deviated to no longer needing silver... not uh, saying they are real of course. Just throwing that out there in terms of a modern remake of Blade.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Historically speaking, the reasoning behind vampires being reflectionless was tied to their weakness of silver. It also explained pictureless, since old school cameras also used silver.
    A vampire of today should both have a reflection and show up on camera since the technology behind it deviated to no longer needing silver... not uh, saying they are real of course. Just throwing that out there in terms of a modern remake of Blade.
    Yes and since Bram Stoker (not the first Vampire store) there has been an Imperial Gothic fear built into Vampires, aka secret societies and all that.

And since John William Polidori, Vampires have been tied to class fears / vampire aristocratic archetype for John was complaining in his ghost story how he felt betrayed by his ex and former friend Lord Byron.

=====

I am saying vampire mechanics lore changes would have to occur if one wants to keep those two vibes in a Blade world with the goal of an underside secret society which has been stated as one of the goals for Blade. This is not necessary if you are going for more animalistic vampires such as Blade 2, but I sense this is not the vibe that is a goal.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    This is perhaps the most damning critique I can think of. And it sucks that it is fairly true.
    I was trying to be funny but there is an underlying serious question I would like to ask the SONY Execs who green lit this project. Why did you decide to make a movie instead of a series? Because I think this would make a better show than a movie.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I was trying to be funny but there is an underlying serious question I would like to ask the SONY Execs who green lit this project. Why did you decide to make a movie instead of a series? Because I think this would make a better show than a movie.
    I'm no expert, but I don't think shows can make anywhere near as much money as movies potentially can.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    This is a modern retroexplanation. The folkloric creatures behind the vampire archetype were noted for not having reflections in any surface, including pools of water.

18. - Top - End - #48

Well... this went about as expected:

https://screenrant.com/madame-web-mo...ony-spiderman/
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: More like Madam COBweb after this amount of time.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2