New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Girl Genius XXXIII: Plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside

It is a world ruled by Mad Science! Things happen. Usually, they happen to other people. This is entertainment. That's when the front door gets blown in- And you belatedly realize that, once again, you are doomed to be the entertainment in another exciting installment of: GIRL GENIUS!

Many elegant, finely-crafted, and vintage links follow:

Links to Previous Threads
    Spoiler
    Show
    Girl Genius! (thread)
    Girl Genius II
    Girl Genius III: Nize Thread!
    Girl Genius IV: Because SCIENCE! is my mistress
    Girl Genius V: Madre de Diodes!
    Girl Genius VI: Der Pestle in Der Kestle
    Girl Genius VII: Get on the Slab, I Want to Get to Work!
    Girl Genius: VIII Will Show Them All!
    Girl Genius IX: The Unstoppable Thread
    Girl Genius X: The Othar Shoe Drops
    Girl Genius XI: Ding Dong, the Baron's Dead!
    Girl Genius XII: For Doom The Bell Tolls
    Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"
    Girl Genius XIV: A Lightning Arc in All But Speed!
    Girl Genius XV: The Weasel, the Spark, and the Wardrobe
    Girl Genius XVI: The Wrath of Klaus
    Girl Genius XVII: And Then He Had Pie
    Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights
    Girl Genius XIX: Worth a Third of Your Grade
    Girl Genius XX: Endothermic Life Forms Are Inherently Heretical
    Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers
    Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants
    Girl Genius XXIII: Screaming, Ranting and Egregious Violence
    Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror
    Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!
    Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response
    Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?
    Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!
    Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness
    Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition
    Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!
    Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!
    Girl Genius XXXIII: Plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF, usually after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (No longer being updated as of Mid-May, 2017)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    (The Foglios also provide some links at the bottom of the comic pages)
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)

And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)

====

Q: What is this "Sneaky Gate" y'alls go on about?

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky Gate 101:
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2024-05-17 at 01:55 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXIII: Plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside

To-do:
    1. PLOT!
    2. RANT!
    3. MENACE COUNTRYSIDE!
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

In a massive surprise twist, the current clearing of Mechanicsburg is going to go flawlessly.

4. - Top - End - #4

SwashbucklerGuy

it should be noted that Fridays page was not a cliffhanger.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Looking at that list of old threads has got me really thinking about the pacing and scale of this comic. When I first discovered this comic I was in high school, this was the most recent page, and y'all were just on thread #7. Now we're on thread #33, but somehow I still feel feel like most of the story happened before I got on board. Like it feels like we are still just wrapping up the loose ends of a story that climaxed with the ringing of the Doom Bell, even though at this there has been much more published after that point than before it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Gotta tag this so I can spot it on the board easier.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Gotta tag this so I can spot it on the board easier.
    I'm not familliar with the process - Is it something set up per account (ie, personal) or is that something I should have done when setting up the original post?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I'm not familliar with the process - Is it something set up per account (ie, personal) or is that something I should have done when setting up the original post?
    I just mean now the topic shows a check mark making it easier to notice when it gets a new post made. Normally I make a post related to the comic but I didnt really have anything I felt like contributing but I wanted to be able to check it easier.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    It's not anything to do with the thread, it's that threads a particular user has posted in show up differently for that particular user (and not for anyone else, if someone else has also posted in a thread it will show up for them too, but their list of posted to threads will (almost certainly) be different from the first user). This only works if you are logged in, but you have to be logged in to post.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-05-19 at 09:19 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks Guys - don't need to change the net thread template, then...

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    Looking at that list of old threads has got me really thinking about the pacing and scale of this comic. When I first discovered this comic I was in high school, this was the most recent page, and y'all were just on thread #7. Now we're on thread #33, but somehow I still feel feel like most of the story happened before I got on board. Like it feels like we are still just wrapping up the loose ends of a story that climaxed with the ringing of the Doom Bell, even though at this there has been much more published after that point than before it.
    I started reading the comic a few years earlier than that. I think the most recent page was Agatha entering Mechanicsburg, plus or minus a dozen pages. I do know that I started reading before the volumes that were published dead-tree-style were all online. And I remember the first volume being completely black-and-white. It confused me no end when I first tried reading it that the two story options seemed to diverge so very much.

I will agree that while there has been more volume of story told since the doom bell rang, it has tended to be harder to get invested in the secondary characters. Volume 2 and 3 are set on Castle Wulfenbach and include a few very well fleshed out characters. Volume 4, 5, and 6 have the circus around and take us through Sturmhalten. Then we spend volumes 7 through 13 in Mechanicsburg and Castle Heterodyne. There are some characters who stick around that whole time but there are also a lot of characters who only show up a couple of times spaced out over the course of 7 books.

Then we had a couple volumes worth of travelling to Paris and and around its environs. Then there were a couple volumes of travelling around England. Then there were like 2 volumes of fighting on the weird little island with the giant rats. Then we had a couple years of side stories. There may have been more comic since the bell rang than was before, but I think there was more story before than after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps it would be best to think of everything that has happened since the Doom Bell, not as an epilogue "tying up loose ends", but as a sequel? This is a common complaint in TV shows that build to a successful climax and then find themselves starting over at the beginning of a new narrative arc. (And I'm not talking about shows where the story was told but the network execs kept it alive for money either.)

And the thing about sequels is that while they can be good or even better they rarely have the same charm as the original. A lot of things are already established and can't be undone without leaving a bad taste in the audience's mouth. The characters we met on Agatha's Second Road Trip to Mechanicsburg have been less impactful because we know who the main cast are and we know they're unlikely to be added to it. It's full. The dynamic is established. We know in our hearts that none of them are going to turn out to be as important as Tarvek did. There's no time for them to be.

Similarly, Agatha's power level has increased and it's hard to nerf her without it feeling unsatisfying. We're not going to get another "unknown new girl in a weird school" plotline with her, she's either feted or feared as the Heterodyne wherever she goes. She's not going to go undercover and have to get to know the people around her the way she did with the circus, she travels with a retinue. And of course she's a fully fledged Girl Genius and engineers her way out of minor obstacles like "getting captured" in a single page rather than several volumes.

That said, for me personally the early stuff feels more real because I read it over and over again at a formative age and now it's burned into my brain.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

the story since the Doom Bell feels like the Foglios are enacting their pension plan.
    I just hope they are not doing a Robert Jordan on us.
    * my emphasis

14. - Top - End - #14

New page is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can anyone point me to where til trapped the clank? I do not remember it happening at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    New page is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can anyone point me to where til trapped the clank? I do not remember it happening at all.
    Honestly? I want to say "off screen".

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    New page is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. I was just about to ask the same thing, as I don't remember that either.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

must have happened between here
    https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20150612
    spymasters report on new slave engines and tiny wasps

and here
    https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20151120
    extraction of Othar, Gentleman Adventurer.

probably one of the effects of the housekeeping interlude is some loose ends now woven in.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2024-05-20 at 02:17 AM.
    * my emphasis

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Huh.

To be honest, I kinda forgot about her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Huh.

To be honest, I kinda forgot about her.
    Ditto. It makes sense that she had to be trapped for Gil to get his father removed, but I’m wondering if the Foglios forgot her too…

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

This is an interesting development, because it means Gil knew what his father was going to do and deliberately arranged for at least one person (ok, sentient clank) to be in the Time Stop.

So why did Gil not warn Agatha, Love of His Life? Tarvek, possible best friend? He's a major spark, he could have whipped up a mechanical carrier pigeon to fly to Agatha and let her know. Plus, it might have saved her from Martellus.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    This is an interesting development, because it means Gil knew what his father was going to do and deliberately arranged for at least one person (ok, sentient clank) to be in the Time Stop.

So why did Gil not warn Agatha, Love of His Life? Tarvek, possible best friend? He's a major spark, he could have whipped up a mechanical carrier pigeon to fly to Agatha and let her know. Plus, it might have saved her from Martellus.
    That’s not what happened. Bohrlaika was around post-timestop, keeping an eye on Gil to ensure he didn’t break out of the Baron’s mind control.

From todays comic it appears that Gil strategically collapsed one of the tunnels into the time stop while Bohrlaika was with him, resulting in her getting trapped and freeing Gil to go free Tarvek.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    That’s not what happened. Bohrlaika was around post-timestop, keeping an eye on Gil to ensure he didn’t break out of the Baron’s mind control.

From todays comic it appears that Gil strategically collapsed one of the tunnels into the time stop while Bohrlaika was with him, resulting in her getting trapped and freeing Gil to go free Tarvek.
    I didn't even notice when she stopped showing up. Which you'd think that would have been significant but there's just too much entourage following everybody around, and I suppose it seems natural that when the lead trio reunited some of their secondary attachments would fall into the background..

It looks like Bohrlaika is chopping up some of the frames that support the exploratory tunnels. The consequence of doing that should be obvious (or if not precisely known, readily predictable as not a good idea) so probably Gil managed to engineer some scenario in which Bohrlaika 'had to' do that in order to 'rescue' him from some other apparently more severe danger?

23. - Top - End - #23

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I didn't even notice when she stopped showing up. Which you'd think that would have been significant but there's just too much entourage following everybody around, and I suppose it seems natural that when the lead trio reunited some of their secondary attachments would fall into the background..

It looks like Bohrlaika is chopping up some of the frames that support the exploratory tunnels. The consequence of doing that should be obvious (or if not precisely known, readily predictable as not a good idea) so probably Gil managed to engineer some scenario in which Bohrlaika 'had to' do that in order to 'rescue' him from some other apparently more severe danger?
    I think Gil had them supports shot:
    first shot and she has her sword out looking for the threat,
    second shot trapped her.
    * my emphasis

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I think Gil had them supports shot:
    first shot and she has her sword out looking for the threat,
    second shot trapped her.
    Ah, yeah, those are more consistent with how gunshots are typically drawn. Or possibly rigged with small explosive charges, which could be triggered more consistently and less dependent on having a shooter hit a very small target at the exact time you need them to.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Honestly? I want to say "off screen".
    That right there.

They should let Othar deal with her.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    the story since the Doom Bell feels like the Foglios are enacting their pension plan.
    I just hope they are not doing a Robert Jordan on us.
    I honestly suspect it's at least partially the opposite, and they're tying up plot threads so they only have one Journey left (to Skifander and then to deal with the vestiges if the Other). Really the only flaw I can see in that is them bringing in the Polar Lords, but I suspect they're now being shuffled off screen until the final battle to defend the Wulfenbach/Sturmvorus/Heterodyne empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    So why did Gil not warn Agatha, Love of His Life? Tarvek, possible best friend?
    You got them the wrong way round
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I honestly suspect it's at least partially the opposite, and they're tying up plot threads so they only have one Journey left (to Skifander and then to deal with the vestiges if the Other). Really the only flaw I can see in that is them bringing in the Polar Lords, but I suspect they're now being shuffled off screen until the final battle to defend the Wulfenbach/Sturmvorus/Heterodyne empire.
    The timeskip happened all the way back in 2013, eleven years ago. Girl Genius began in 2000. We are fast approaching the 'more content post-timeskip' point. Act One was 13 volumes. Act Two is currently on volume 12, though it does appear to be almost over since it will hopefully conclude with the freeing of Mechanicsburg. Act Three will probably conclude the story, but the chances that it will be short are minimal. Even if they managed to keep it something like half the length of the previous two acts, Girl Genius would be lucky to finish sometime in 2030.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This illustrates my point: the comic has seemingly been in "tying up loose ends so we can get to the resolution" mode for almost 10 years now.

29. - Top - End - #29

I know we're only on page 1 of the new thread set, but title suggestion already: It would be a lot simpler if I could fight her with explosives

30. - Top - End - #30

SamuraiGuy

Not only can Bang not use explosives, but the only thing that gets burned is her.