New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A shower? A screen in case she needs to change when somebody's over?
    Obviously, she needs none of these, as today's page makes clear. So, just like a video game character, all she needs in her home is bed, storage, and crafting station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Obviously, she needs none of these, as today's page makes clear. So, just like a video game character, all she needs in her home is bed, storage, and crafting station.
    And no flower pots - they never last long.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

And so, the person Pandora gleefully thought she might be screwing over is quite happy with his magic, and the one she went "meh" at--is thoroughly screwed over by his.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Debating whether this evil business guy is another comically evil guy who exists to get taken out by new antagonists to show that they're serious without having them kill a character the audience might feel bad about, or if these three are about to piss off a more threatening bad guy.

I think I'm leaning towards the former. This feels like an unnecessary amount of setup for a throwaway but this comic has never been afraid of running long on exposition, and it does make sense to establish his powers if these guys are going to swipe them.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Debating whether this evil business guy is another comically evil guy who exists to get taken out by new antagonists to show that they're serious without having them kill a character the audience might feel bad about, or if these three are about to piss off a more threatening bad guy.

I think I'm leaning towards the former. This feels like an unnecessary amount of setup for a throwaway but this comic has never been afraid of running long on exposition, and it does make sense to establish his powers if these guys are going to swipe them.
    The purpose of this discussion is to explore the new antagonists (if it is the right term here): their motivations, relations with each other, reasoning and what means are they willing to use in order to achieve their goals. The discussed bad guy is mostly irrelevant and very well could be dealt with offscreen.

6. - Top - End - #156

I will be very surprised if the other-side-of-world people kill a human. Under any circumstances.

7. - Top - End - #157

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    The purpose of this discussion is to explore the new antagonists (if it is the right term here): their motivations, relations with each other, reasoning and what means are they willing to use in order to achieve their goals. The discussed bad guy is mostly irrelevant and very well could be dealt with offscreen.
    I think it's likely that these characters will end up being more complex than simple bad guys, but I do think they're pretty clearly in an antagonistic role for the moment.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I will be very surprised if the other-side-of-world people kill a human. Under any circumstances.
    I doubt they'll kill them, but the staff's probably going to work, and they're either going to go after either Mr Verres or Shorty-McPuppy-Girl (Rhoda, if you will), Nanase already having had a depowerment arc. Narratively, Verres Sr. is probably the "better" option - he already got shunted upstairs at the magic FBI so that he couldn't help the main cast too much any more, and with Ms. "We're the Good Guys (evilface)" Bishop being primed for Arthur's role, shunting him further out of the way could have a point.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

They aren't necessarily talking about a bad guy at all. They haven't said what he's done, and they have very alien morals.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    They aren't necessarily talking about a bad guy at all. They haven't said what he's done, and they have very alien morals.
    Yeah, for all we know his affinity for mind control magic manifests as a wide area stress relief spell.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also for all we know he doesn't know he's actually using it.

Another thing worth noting. If by "the internet' do they mean news articles that could be compromised by politicians and special interests? Do they mean social media where people just make up things and dogpile on their target of the week for clout? They don't have the cultural context to filter out biases. Hell, most people on earth don't.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2024-02-02 at 06:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Also for all we know he doesn't know he's actually using it.

Another thing worth noting. If by "the internet' do they mean news articles that could be compromised by politicians and special interests? Do they mean social media where people just make up things and dogpile on their target of the week for clout? They don't have the cultural context to filter out biases. Hell, most people on earth don't.
    At least they try to do some research first. How reliable results they will get is a different question.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    At least they try to do some research first. How reliable results they will get is a different question.
    My point is more that the court of public opinion is seldom just. Only actual evidence of wrongdoing and a crime being committed deserves punishment.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

My point is more that the court of public opinion is seldom just. Only actual evidence of wrongdoing and a crime being committed deserves punishment.
    Sure, but he's a capitalist. He can't be a good guy.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Sure, but he's a capitalist. He can't be a good guy.
    That's not a crime. Offering money for services to create product to sell for money is not evil as long as the contract is entered willingly.

If he is mind controlling his employees to enter his labor force under duress that is a crime and unethical practice.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the real world, there are websites that are made specifically for employees to talk about what it's like to work at their job -- in other words, complaining about bad management, toxic office culture, etc. Do these characters know about this kind of resources? Does Dan know? I dunno.

If it's just the general court of public opinion, then I dunno. I think a businessman with actual literal mind control magic would have overall a very positive image, perhaps even a cult of personality, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if it is deliberate, but the view of Potestas (?) in the last frame looks very like Edward Verres. I think it's the glasses.

It's certainly not the flask of Sake and bottle of Aspall's Cider that I had with my 60th birthday meal 'cause I saw the resembelence yesterday. The combination of the two just buggered up my typing, meaning that I've proof-read this thing six times and I bet I've still missed something...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #168

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I don't know if it is deliberate, but the view of Potestas (?) in the last frame looks very like Edward Verres. I think it's the glasses
    Glasses guy is the other one. Saou, I think.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Glasses guy is the other one. Saou, I think.
    Flask of Sake and bottle of Aspall's Cider. Thinking is definitely off the table at the moment...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

My point is more that the court of public opinion is seldom just.
    Neither is the court of the law. Just because its legal doesn't mean its right or should be allowed.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-02-03 at 07:50 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

That's not a crime. Offering money for services to create product to sell for money is not evil as long as the contract is entered willingly.

If he is mind controlling his employees to enter his labor force under duress that is a crime and unethical practice.
    Is exploiting other people's labor for your own profit?

Also, that "willingly" is doing a lot of work there. Most people don't dream of working menial jobs 8 hours a day or being an underpaid food delivery person, but have to take that job to keep a roof over their head. Is that willing?

But this is all mostly irrelevant since, according to Mist, the guy was gloating about causing "accidents", so it sounds like he's actually murdered people.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #172

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Flask of Sake and bottle of Aspall's Cider. Thinking is definitely off the table at the moment...
    For what it's worth aside from Mist I'm also struggling to remember their names

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth aside from Mist I'm also struggling to remember their names
    Honestly I forget Mist's name as well, I just remember him as the Unicorn Noah.

...when are we seeing Noah again? Does he have an animal form? Will he join Grace's polycule? Why are you saying these questions won't be answered until 2055?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly I forget Mist's name as well, I just remember him as the Unicorn Noah.

...when are we seeing Noah again? Does he have an animal form? Will he join Grace's polycule? Why are you saying these questions won't be answered until 2055?
    Noah is in Dan's list of characters that he totally definitely didn't forget about, promise, but they haven't appeared or been referenced in five years or more.

25. - Top - End - #175

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Noah is in Dan's list of characters that he totally definitely didn't forget about, promise, but they haven't appeared or been referenced in five years or more.
    Literally less than a year ago.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-02-03 at 11:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

I super do not get the "this webcomic writer hasn't mentioned that character in a while (as the plotlines deal with other characters), clearly they forgot that they exist" thing.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I super do not get the "this webcomic writer hasn't mentioned that character in a while (as the plotlines deal with other characters), clearly they forgot that they exist" thing.
    To some extent, it's a sign of a potentially-bloated cast for the page count available to work with per [time period].

Right now, EGS appears to have a core cast of ten (Tedd, Grace, Elliot, Ellen, Nanase, Justin, Sarah, Susan, Diane, Ashley), and an recurring cast of varying levels of significance which includes Hope (Pandora), Mr. Verres, Lavender, Kevin, Raven, Noah, Catalina, Rhoda, Luke, Lucy, Sam, Jay, Liz, Zeus (Jerry), Voltaire, George, Larry, Rich, Tensaided, Rhea, Arthur, Bishop, Wolf, Vladia, Abraham, Tara, Andrea, Liam, Mist, Potestas, Saou, and more.

That's a lot of characters.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2024-02-04 at 11:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

Considering the consistency with which I've seen that line for every webcomic except for extremely basic gag-a-day comics, I do not believe it is a sign of anything negative about the webcomic in question.

(I can think of one webcomic I've read which never got the "s/he clearly forgot that character" line: Ctrl-Alt-Delete, which I would put on the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of quality.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-02-04 at 12:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

RedKnightGirl

Characters being absent for long stretches of time is an insanely common part of webcomic pacing. These things are slow to make and tend to have pretty big casts, so it feels a lot more noticeable when a character is absent for an arc, even though in a TV show nobody would question it.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-02-04 at 01:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a big difference between a minor character who hasn't appeared in a while and a character who was specifically built up as being important to the story and has been completely irrelevant for years after. You'll note that no one is joking/complaining that Dan forgot Rhea.

Also, trying to defend bad writing by pointing out that other amateur writers do the same thing is not the convincing argument you seem to think it is.