New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Q1
    One of the 5 ways to enter Warshaper is
    "Polymorph as a spell-like ability (astral deva, planetar, solar, couatl, marilith, bronze dragon, gold dragon, silver dragon, efreeti, leonal guardinal, night hag, ogre mage, pixie)."

Most of these creatures don't have polymorph as a spell like ability. The monsters with change shape are covered elsewhere but how do the dragons (who have alternate form) and leonal (which doesn't seem to have any kind of shapeshifting) qualify for warshaper?

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    Q1
    One of the 5 ways to enter Warshaper is
    "Polymorph as a spell-like ability (astral deva, planetar, solar, couatl, marilith, bronze dragon, gold dragon, silver dragon, efreeti, leonal guardinal, night hag, ogre mage, pixie)."

Most of these creatures don't have polymorph as a spell like ability. The monsters with change shape are covered elsewhere but how do the dragons (who have alternate form) and leonal (which doesn't seem to have any kind of shapeshifting) qualify for warshaper?
    A1

None of these creatures qualify for the warshaper class due to having polymorph as a spell-like ability except for the planetar*. The dragons, leonal, marilith, and pixie do not qualify at all. All of the others qualify by nature of having the change shape ability.

A) The listed dragons did get polymorph self 3/day as a spell-like ability in 3.0. It's very likely that these dragons' listings are simply an oversight that slipped through the cracks, as Complete Warrior came out just a couple months after the 3.5 update was released which replaced the dragons' polymorph SLA with their alternate form supernatural ability. There was a time when they could have qualified for the class via SLA, but they no longer meet that requirement.

B) Every other creature on the list except the dragons did have polymorph as an SLA in their 3.5 Monster Manual descriptions. The errata removed polymorph SLAs from a lot of creatures including (but not limited to) the astral deva, astral deva*, solar, couatl, marilith, efreeti, leonal, night hag, ogre mage, and pixie. The SRD shows information consistent with the errata, so if you're checking these creatures' descriptions using resources readily available online you won't see polymorph on any of these creatures. It's worth noting that even the one creature that still has polymorph probably shouldn't, but seems to have slipped through the cracks due to an apparent error in the errata*.
    Most of the creatures that had polymorph taken away were given the change shape supernatural ability to replace it with, and therefore still qualify for warshaper despite losing the SLA. The leonal, maralith, and pixie simply did not get anything in exchange for losing polymorph and therefore no longer qualify for the class.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Errata
    Angel, Astral Deva
    Monster Manual, page 11
    Remove “polymorph (self only)” from spell-like abilities.
    Add the following entry:

Change Shape (Su): An astral deva can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

Angel, Astral Deva
    Monster Manual, page 11
    Remove “polymorph (self only)” from spell-like abilities.

Change Shape (Su): A planetar can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2023-12-01 at 01:41 PM.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

4. - Top - End - #4

Q 2

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day.
    Can a sorcerer or wizard who had summoned a familiar, and afterward gotten it killed, take the Obtain Familiar feat on their next level and gain a new familiar before a year and a day has gone by?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2023-12-05 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Grammar.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

A2

No. The obtain familiar feat allows you to summon a familiar in the same way as a sorcerer or wizard, and refers directly to the rules regarding familiars in the PHB. Having multiple classes that allow you to summon a familiar does not entitle you to summon multiple familiars or to summon familiars more frequently. If multiple classes would grant you a familiar they simply stack to determine how powerful your familiar is. The only benefit a sorcerer or wizard gains from the obtain familiar feat is that it uses your levels from all arcane caster classes to determine your familiar's strength, which can be useful if you plan on either multiclassing into another arcane base class that doesn't gain a familiar of its own, or taking an arcane prestige class that does not advance your familiar (which is most prestige classes).
    Last edited by Vaern; 2023-12-05 at 01:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    A2
    The only benefit a sorcerer or wizard gains from the obtain familiar feat is that it uses your levels from all arcane caster classes to determine your familiar's strength, which can be useful if you plan on either multiclassing into another arcane base class that doesn't gain a familiar of its own, or taking an arcane prestige class that does not advance your familiar (which is most prestige classes).
    Well, it isn't its only benefit: it also allows the replacement of the summon familiar class feature by another, more interesting ACF, and still have a familiar. Thanks for the answer anyway, that's what I thought was more likely.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I have the option to start with child of shadow (move ten feet and you are considered concealed as shadows wreath you) and nimbus light.

nimbus light is 15 feet of light (5 normal and 10 shadowy).

Assuming direct line of sight, if its night and im in the woods, and have the numbus active, could something from 50 feet away see me?

(still night time) If I am moving and using Child of shadow, giving me concealment, how close would they need to be before they get to try to see me?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoskay View Post
    I have the option to start with child of shadow (move ten feet and you are considered concealed as shadows wreath you) and nimbus light.

nimbus light is 15 feet of light (5 normal and 10 shadowy).

Assuming direct line of sight, if its night and im in the woods, and have the numbus active, could something from 50 feet away see me?
    It depends on how dense the woods are (DMG 87). In a sparse forest, the maximum visibility is 3d6 x 10 feet (which gives a 98.15% chance that you will be visible from 50 feet away); in a medium forest, 2d8 x 10 (a 90.63% chance); and in a dense forest, 2d6 x 10 (83.33% chance). If you are in an area of undergrowth, you will also have concealment.

Since you are illuminated, you will not be concealed by darkness. Observers outside of a light source's illumination radius can still see into the illuminated area normally (RC 79). However, you may still be concealed by undergrowth, in which case you can make Hide checks to avoid detection. The observer will have a -1 penalty on Spot checks per 10 feet of distance (total of -5), and if you are in heavy undergrowth, you'll have a +5 bonus to Hide.

On a dark night, a light is automatically visible at a distance equal to ten times its illumination radius, or twenty times if the observer succeeds on a DC 20 Spot check (RC 79). In dim light, these distances are halved. This means it's possible the observer will see your light without being able to see you, and consequentially may mistake you for Saruman the White.

(still night time) If I am moving and using Child of shadow, giving me concealment, how close would they need to be before they get to try to see me?
    The answer is exactly the same, except that if they are able to see you, they will have a 20% miss chance against you. Your concealment will also be redundant with any concealment provided by undergrowth.

9. - Top - End - #9

Remember to number your questions, guys.

Q 4

For a feat such as Obtain Familiar or Master Spellthief, which are dependent on "your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells" or "levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting", how do you calculate this with prestige classes?

If a prestige class does not give full spellcaster progression at every level, are only the levels giving "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class" counted for the above feats, or are every level of the prestige class?

Likewise, if the prestige class can progress either arcane or divine spellcasting, are only the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" allocated to an arcane class counted for the above, and not those allocated to a divine caster class?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2023-12-07 at 03:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 4 A prestige class advancing other classes is not a spellcasting class by itself, nor does it grant arcane spellcasting. The only levels that count are levels that increase your effective level in arcane spellcasting classes (obviously if you chose instead to improve a divine class and the feat only counts the level in an arcane class, the prestige class levels do not count.)
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

11. - Top - End - #11

Q 4 B

Thanks for the answer. However, it makes me wonder about the special case of the Ultimate Magus.

This prestige class can, for most of its levels, advance the spellcasting of two arcane classes (one with spontaneous casting, the other with casting from a spellbook).

For such an Ultimate Magus level advancing both, does it count as two levels of advancement for feats such as Obtain Familiar or Master Spellthief?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    A 4 A prestige class advancing other classes is not a spellcasting class by itself, nor does it grant arcane spellcasting. The only levels that count are levels that increase your effective level in arcane spellcasting classes (obviously if you chose instead to improve a divine class and the feat only counts the level in an arcane class, the prestige class levels do not count.)
    This is incorrect—the feat checks whether the class allows you to cast arcane spells, yes or no. If yes, all of the levels in that class count. If no, none of the levels in that class count. It doesn't check your effective level of casting in that class—only your actual class level—nor does it check each level individually and only count the levels that improve your casting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm having a bit of an argument with my DM over attacks of opportunity in 3.5e.

Q5: How does one actually provoke an attack of opportunity? Using the table below imagine each number is a square on your usual grid map. NPC1 is in square #5. Player1 is in square #4. Player1 uses their movement to move from square #4 to square #1, then square #2, then square #3, then square #6. Does Player1 provoke an Attack of Opportunity from NPC1 when he goes from each square to the next and thus has provoked an AoO 4 times? Because he's "moved out of a threatened square" 4 times? Or does he provoke no AoO's from NPC1 because he did not move out of the area that the threatened squares defines?

1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

The argument we're having kinda goes like this

In favor:
    • PHB pg 4 states "The game assumes the use of miniatures and a battle grid and the rules are written from this perspective"
    • PHB pg 133 states "A battle grid...consists of a grid of 1-inch squares. Each of these squares represents a 5-foot square in the game world"
    • PHB pg 137 defines a "Threatened square" as "...all squares into which you can make an attack, even when it is not your action."
    • PHB pg 137 states "Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent."

Against:
    • PHB pg 137 states "Sometimes, however, a combatant in a melee lets her guard down. In this case, combatants near her can take advantage of her lapse in defense to attack her for free. These free attacks are called attacks of opportunity."
    • DnD works off the reality in that you're focusing on your opponent
    • DnD assumes facing into it's mechanics to maintain that realism, thus assuming you're facing your opponent, and that to try and move away would be to face away and thus turn your back to your opponent, thus "dropping your guard" and provoking an attack of opportunity.
    • you can move around your opponent without turning your back to them/losing focus on them, thus moving within their threatened range does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

I'm in favor that it's each square, I think the rules are pretty cut and dry about that. I don't think the DM's interpretation is logically wrong, but I don't think the rules support it.
    Last edited by LarzRolfe; 2023-12-09 at 03:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Moving out of a threatened square provokes, so yes, moving without tumbling (or taking 5' step equivalents) will provoke.

However, the rules also state that you only provoke one per action which means that the movement as a whoel only provokes once not once per square.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2023-12-09 at 03:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Q 6

Quote Originally Posted by Improved Trip
    If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.
    For a character with Improved Trip, can he first succeed in a trip attack barehanded, and then draw a weapon (as a free action with Quick Draw) to make the follow-up attack? (Eventually with Iaijustu Focus...)
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

A6

Yes, you can use a free action to draw a new weapon between attacks with quick draw. The rules clearly say that you can use free actions while taking another action and, in fact, characters using ranged weapons routinely use free actions between attacks to draw fresh ammo for their weapons.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Moving out of a threatened square provokes, so yes, moving without tumbling (or taking 5' step equivalents) will provoke.

However, the rules also state that you only provoke one per action which means that the movement as a whole only provokes once not once per square.
    Are you sure? The line I think you're referring to is "Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving..." but then it still elaborates that "Moving: Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent." I can see how that can be interpreted as the action prep's the AoO and the moving out of the square triggers it, but it could just as reasonably be interpreted that the Move action causes it, and then each instance of moving out of a threatened square provokes an AoO.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

I don't know if the SRD mentions it and I'm pretty sure it's not specified in the PHB or DMG, but the Rules Compendium does go out of its way to clarify:

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium
    Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from any opponent who threatens that square. Two methods of movement allow you to avoid such an attack: 5-foot step and withdraw.
    Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn't count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 7: As Targetteer Fighter, from Dragon #310, specifies that one "must making a Full Attack" for Arrow Storm and Sniper specifies "When using the Full Attack option", while Rapid Shot specifies "You must use the full attack action to use this feat", can all three be done simultaneously for +3 attacks at -7 while trading attacks for +1 threat range each? It's obvious that the RAI is for Arrow Storm to upgrade Rapid Shot and be separate from Sniper, but they're choices as part of the same action rather than new actions, so it seems RAW-plausible.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    I don't know if the SRD mentions it and I'm pretty sure it's not specified in the PHB or DMG, but the Rules Compendium does go out of its way to clarify:
    Doesn't get more cut and dry than that! Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Q8: Say I'm a 20th-level PC with 2 temporary HDs from Inspire Greatness. I then cast Simulacrum on myself. Does the Simulacrum have 10 or 11 HDs ?

(tangential question: if the answer is "11 HDs" and you know a way to bump Inspire Greatness' temporary HDs in addition to Song of the Heart and Words of Creation, shoot.)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Q8: Say I'm a 20th-level PC with 2 temporary HDs from Inspire Greatness. I then cast Simulacrum on myself. Does the Simulacrum have 10 or 11 HDs ?

(tangential question: if the answer is "11 HDs" and you know a way to bump Inspire Greatness' temporary HDs in addition to Song of the Heart and Words of Creation, shoot.)
    A 8

This should work (your simulacrum should get 11 HD), but ask your dungeon master anyway.

My first thought was that this pushed the effect of Inspire Greatness too far, but my second thought was that the bonus Hit Dice bestowed by Inspire Greatness ability should give you not only better protection against harmful spells but also better benefits from helpful ones. The sentence "The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant" should work both ways.

The reason why I say you should ask your dungeon master is that the Simulacrum spell does take a long time to cast: 12 hours. Your dungeon master may say that a bard cannot possibly perform for that long. Or maybe not; after all, bards are magical characters, and if a spellcaster can cast a spell for 12 hours, then surely a bard can perform for that long if required.

So ask your dungeon master, but I would say: Yes, I think it should work.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2023-12-11 at 07:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It depends on how dense the woods are (DMG 87). In a sparse forest, the maximum visibility is 3d6 x 10 feet (which gives a 98.15% chance that you will be visible from 50 feet away); in a medium forest, 2d8 x 10 (a 90.63% chance); and in a dense forest, 2d6 x 10 (83.33% chance). If you are in an area of undergrowth, you will also have concealment.

Since you are illuminated, you will not be concealed by darkness. Observers outside of a light source's illumination radius can still see into the illuminated area normally (RC 79). However, you may still be concealed by undergrowth, in which case you can make Hide checks to avoid detection. The observer will have a -1 penalty on Spot checks per 10 feet of distance (total of -5), and if you are in heavy undergrowth, you'll have a +5 bonus to Hide.

On a dark night, a light is automatically visible at a distance equal to ten times its illumination radius, or twenty times if the observer succeeds on a DC 20 Spot check (RC 79). In dim light, these distances are halved. This means it's possible the observer will see your light without being able to see you, and consequentially may mistake you for Saruman the White.

The answer is exactly the same, except that if they are able to see you, they will have a 20% miss chance against you. Your concealment will also be redundant with any concealment provided by undergrowth.
    This covers my question exceptionally well. thank you. What is RC 79?

New question;
    Q 9
    Changelings Racial Emulation gnome... could a changeling use racial emulation to emulate a gnome and qualify for shadowcaster prestige class?

This is incorrect—the feat checks whether the class allows you to cast arcane spells, yes or no. If yes, all of the levels in that class count. If no, none of the levels in that class count. It doesn't check your effective level of casting in that class—only your actual class level—nor does it check each level individually and only count the levels that improve your casting.
    I have to disagree

A 4 B
    Source https://dndtools.net/classes/ultimate-magus/
    +1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class
    +1 level of existing prepared arcane casting class and +1 level of existing spontaneous arcane casting class
    It adds a level, a whole level, to the qualifying class, meaning if you are a level 4 sorcerer/level 1 wizard and you take 1 level of ultimate magus... you become a level 4 sorcerer/level 2 wizard/level 1 ultimate magus.

This means anything checking your ACTUAL levels will see at least 6 spell caster class levels.
    Last edited by Shinoskay; 2023-12-12 at 05:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

This covers my question exceptionally well. thank you. What is RC 79?
    Rules Compendium, page 79.

New question;
    Q 9
    Changelings Racial Emulation gnome... could a changeling use racial emulation to emulate a gnome and qualify for shadowcaster prestige class?
    Changelings are Medium, and their Minor Change Shape ability only allows them to alter their height up to 1 foot. Your ability to emulate a Small humanoid is therefore limited by your base height. Assuming you do, an effect that requires "Gnome" as a prerequisite is satisfied by the gnome subtype, which Racial Emulation allows you to copy. What you could not qualify for is an effect that requires a specific subrace of gnome, such as the Svirfneblin Figment Master feat from Races of Faerun.

I have to disagree

A 4 B

It adds a level, a whole level, to the qualifying class, meaning if you are a level 4 sorcerer/level 1 wizard and you take 1 level of ultimate magus... you become a level 4 sorcerer/level 2 wizard/level 1 ultimate magus.

This means anything checking your ACTUAL levels will see at least 6 spell caster class levels.
    Ultimate magus contains the following clause:
    At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in both a prepared arcane casting class and a spontaneous arcane casting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.
    ...which explicitly limits its advancement to spells per day, caster level, spells known, and that's it. It does not increase your effective level for any other purpose.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2023-12-12 at 05:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Rules Compendium, page 79.

Ultimate magus contains the following clause:

At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in both a prepared arcane casting class and a spontaneous arcane casting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.
    ...which explicitly limits its advancement to spells per day, caster level, spells known, and that's it. It does not increase your effective level for any other purpose.
    And that matches standard prestige class language, I concede.
    Last edited by Shinoskay; 2023-12-13 at 03:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Q 10
    The Capstone of the Elemental Savant prestige class, "Elemental Perfection", mentions this:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane
    An elemental savant gains the speed and movement modes, natural attacks, special attacks, and special qualities of a Medium elemental of the type appropriate to her elemental specialty, as noted in the Monster Manual,
    Does this include all the feats normally possessed by a Medium elemental of the appropriate type? Or at least the bonus feats?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 10
    The Capstone of the Elemental Savant prestige class, "Elemental Perfection", mentions this:

Does this include all the feats normally possessed by a Medium elemental of the appropriate type? Or at least the bonus feats?
    No. It includes the abilities listed under the Speed, Attack/Full Attack, Special Attacks and Special Qualities lines.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2023-12-15 at 01:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q 11

assuming all prestige pre requisites are filled, would it be possible to gestalt a wizard alongside a prestigeclass that improves wizard casting?

IE

Class Class
    Class Class
    class Class
    wizard ranger
    Wizard arcane prestige (basically wizard)
    Last edited by Shinoskay; 2023-12-15 at 04:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

A 11:
    Assuming your table is using the gestalt rules, yes, you could do that, but there wouldn't be much point. When both sides of your gestalt progress the same thing, you just use the faster progression. I guess if your prestige class missed any casting levels, you'd cover over those? And you'd still get full familiar progression, and bonus item creation/metamagic feats every five levels?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 11:
    Assuming your table is using the gestalt rules, yes, you could do that, but there wouldn't be much point. When both sides of your gestalt progress the same thing, you just use the faster progression. I guess if your prestige class missed any casting levels, you'd cover over those? And you'd still get full familiar progression, and bonus item creation/metamagic feats every five levels?
    Q 11 b (a clarification in hopes for additional answer to clarify the previous answer)

Well, in this case, I have full wizard on one side and full ranger on the other. The main reason for wanting prestige is to speed through the prestige for certain features while also aiming for other wizard features on the other side of the gestalt.
    Last edited by Shinoskay; 2023-12-15 at 09:02 PM.