New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    That sounds really unpleasant, actually. You know these activities that bring you joy? You're not allowed to do them. Maybe this is a personality defect on my part, but I would rather be beat. Get it over with, y'know?
    That's why you don't get the option lol.

As a kid I was, a few times, given the choice of detention or a paddling after "misbehaving" in school (sometimes deserved, usually not...the principal had it out for me because he had the hots for my mom and she wanted nothing to do with him). I took the paddling every time, got up, and ****ed off. Eventually it stopped being offered, but the guy's frustration was very funny.

That said there's a difference between a paddling and "being beaten". I've had the latter as a punishment. No, you wouldn't prefer it. The groundings that were the usual punishment post-divorce were preferable.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-03 at 11:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This is why I think the switch to metric in the 70s failed in the US. Should have kept US Customary Units but also put metric in side by side. Let an entire generation, maybe two, get through in the meantime, then just phase out US Customary. You'll have a large base that intuitively understands metric and an older population who may or may not but can still readily relate metric to what they grew up with.
    That's definitely what they should have done.

Attempting a presto chango switchover is just setting things up to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Yes, it does. Numbers are arbitrary. 0 is no more or less objectively a freezing temperature than 32, or 97, or any other number.
    Kelvin and Rankine have non-arbitrary zeroes. It's only Celcius and Farenheit that are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Most artificial sweeteners are many times sweeter than sugar, so they would be used in much lower concentrations to reach the same perceived sweetness - even if they had a similar effect to sugar in preserving things they wouldn't get used in sufficient amounts to have the antimicrobial effect because the resulting product would be inedible to most people.
    Doesn't sugar usually promote mocrobial growth?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-03-04 at 01:50 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

That's why you don't get the option lol.

As a kid I was, a few times, given the choice of detention or a paddling after "misbehaving" in school (sometimes deserved, usually not...the principal had it out for me because he had the hots for my mom and she wanted nothing to do with him). I took the paddling every time, got up, and ****ed off. Eventually it stopped being offered, but the guy's frustration was very funny.

That said there's a difference between a paddling and "being beaten". I've had the latter as a punishment. No, you wouldn't prefer it. The groundings that were the usual punishment post-divorce were preferable.
    Your principal was allowed to hit children? And he hit you just to get back at your mom? Yeesh. That sounds unpleasant. I'm sorry. Where I'm from, corporeal punishment in schools has been prohibited for decades.

Yeah, I'd prefer my beatings—but maybe not the kind of beatings you were getting.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's a cultural difference between the US and Sweden or if parents were unusually lenient when and where I grew up, but I'm only familiar with "being grounded" from pop culture and I don't think I've ever heard of someone I know being punished like that (outside of something specific like "you're not allowed to go to that party").

Though I suppose with it at the very least being less common here, I suppose kids who were grounded might not have wanted to talk about it. There's one of my friends in particular (his parents were kinda strict – both of them cops – and he got pretty rebellious in turn) that I could easily imagine getting grounded.

And yeah, a principal (or anyone else, for that matter) being allowed to hit kids sounds crazy to me, even if I know it's a thing in some other places and/or times.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-03-04 at 02:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Your principal was allowed to hit children? And he hit you just to get back at your mom? Yeesh. That sounds unpleasant. I'm sorry. Where I'm from, corporeal punishment in schools has been prohibited for decades.
    This was back in the late 90s when I was in 5th grade, and they were already phasing it out then. Pretty sure even schools here in Florida don't do corporal punishment anymore, though I don't think there's actually a LAW against it, most schools just defer to the majority opinion of parents, and the social tide has shifted against, at the very least, other people being able to hit your kids.

The petty principal thing is (I assume) unusual and he did not last very long in his job once my mom figured out what was going on partway through the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu
    Yeah, I'd prefer my beatings—but maybe not the kind of beatings you were getting.
    Probably not, yeah. There's a pretty wide line between getting some heated buttcheeks and being beaten black and blue with a rubber hose, as a random example.

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I don't know if it's a cultural difference between the US and Sweden or if parents were unusually lenient when and where I grew up, but I'm only familiar with "being grounded" from pop culture and I don't think I've ever heard of someone I know being punished like that (outside of something specific like "you're not allowed to go to that party").

Though I suppose with it at the very least being less common here, I suppose kids who were grounded might not have wanted to talk about it. There's one of my friends in particular (his parents were kinda strict – both of them cops – and he got pretty rebellious in turn) that I could easily imagine getting grounded.
    I think it's more that the specific term doesn't exist across cultures? Because honestly what you're describing is what I'd consider someone being grounded. "Hey can I go to the party?" "No you're grounded, because you've been bad."

Except typically there was a time limit put on things where you could simply assume the answer was no up front. You know you can't go to the party, because this week you're grounded. Though maybe if it's at the end of the week, and you've shown repentance, sure we can let you off a day early.

IMO grounding a child only starts to become an egregious punishment once you start stretching it beyond a week or two. They miss a few days of playing with friends, maybe a specific weekend activity they were looking forward to, and learn that actions have consequences. Do something bad = lose privileges for a while. After that point the lesson has either been learned or not; either way extending the punishment isn't gonna help. A small amount of disappointment isn't going to hurt them long term, but it's something to remember.

Especially as the kid becomes a tween and then a teen. I remember at a certain point I was kind of allowed to negotiate my punishments, especially if I felt like it wasn't fair, and could make a good argument against it. At that age that kinda cooperation is pretty necessary in my eyes, because that's the ages you start to realize that your parents can't...actually do anything to you. The only authority they have is what you give them, mostly.

I think the parents that try to lay down insane punishments, including long term groundings (I remember a friend of mine was grounded for like...an entire year over some dumb bull****, like he was watching tv too late on a school night type of petty infraction) are really asking for the kid to start really rebelliously acting out. If you're gonna catch a punishment for every little thing anyway, A.) It's not gonna feel earned, and so you're just going to disdain the punishment and shirk it anyway and B.) Some kids might feel like "in for a penny, in for a pound". If I'm gonna get grounded for a year over something minor, why not do something major that'll really piss them off?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's more that the specific term doesn't exist across cultures? Because honestly what you're describing is what I'd consider someone being grounded. "Hey can I go to the party?" "No you're grounded, because you've been bad."
    Sure, but I picture being grounded as more of a "package", where during a set time you have to follow certain rules ("can't leave the house" and "can't use electronics" or whatever) unlike a specific decision, like "you can't play video games today" or "you can't go to that party this weekend". But yeah, the difference can probably get pretty blurry.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Doesn't sugar usually promote mocrobial growth?
    That depends on the concentration.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

8. - Top - End - #698
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Watch video detailing the crimes and probable sentences of Scooby-Doo Villains from the Mystery Incorporated series.

Be shocked to realize that Velma's implied love interest is guilty of crimes that by all means should have seen her die in prison several times over.

Realize that Velma's explicit love interest in the DTV movie that makes her explicitly a lesbian is an openly evil fashion designer who is responsible for the costumes used by every single criminal Mystery Inc even busted in this continuity

Realize that Velma has questionable taste in women.
    ...So um... I just realized that her "pre-Lesban" love interests weren't much better.

Ben Ravencroft was manipulating Mystery inc to find his ancestor's spellbook for is evil plans, the guy from the second live-action movie was a nothing burger who was shoe-horned into the plot, and Johnny Bravo was Johnny Bravo. She also formed something of an emotional bond with Dr. Johnathan "The Scarecrow" Crane in Happy Halloween Scooby-Doo, which wasn't framed as romantic in and of itself... But it's a pretty clear-cut Hannibal-Clarice reference and we all know how that ended up.

Velma just might have bad taste.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...So um... I just realized that her "pre-Lesban" love interests weren't much better.

Ben Ravencroft was manipulating Mystery inc to find his ancestor's spellbook for is evil plans, the guy from the second live-action movie was a nothing burger who was shoe-horned into the plot, and Johnny Bravo was Johnny Bravo. She also formed something of an emotional bond with Dr. Johnathan "The Scarecrow" Crane in Happy Halloween Scooby-Doo, which wasn't framed as romantic in and of itself... But it's a pretty clear-cut Hannibal-Clarice reference and we all know how that ended up.

Velma just might have bad taste.
    I mean even so far as, in a desperate attempt to find a beard, she chose Shaggy "sleeps in the same bed with his dog" Rogers. Her only tangible experience with romance is secretly reading lesbian sword fight web-fiction and sleepless nights wondering how she can apply those same principles to a straight relationship because clearly she's straight what are you talking about she has A Boyfriend and everything. As befits Velma's role as the rational intelligent one who is often upended by her own forced footing in that rationality, she thinks she understands the situation and as such very clearly does not.

Though not to rake her over the coals too much for the Shaggy thing. Fred is a walking slab of asexuality and Daphne does pine after him so she wouldn't be open- though she'd say yes if Velma asked because they're friends and she'd give it a shot to help her buddy out.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean even so far as, in a desperate attempt to find a beard, she chose Shaggy "sleeps in the same bed with his dog" Rogers. Her only tangible experience with romance is secretly reading lesbian sword fight web-fiction and sleepless nights wondering how she can apply those same principles to a straight relationship because clearly she's straight what are you talking about she has A Boyfriend and everything. As befits Velma's role as the rational intelligent one who is often upended by her own forced footing in that rationality, she thinks she understands the situation and as such very clearly does not.

Though not to rake her over the coals too much for the Shaggy thing. Fred is a walking slab of asexuality and Daphne does pine after him so she wouldn't be open- though she'd say yes if Velma asked because they're friends and she'd give it a shot to help her buddy out.
    Fred only comes off that way if you look at strictly the newer characterization where he got flanderized into being stupid and single minded. If you include the original material, he clearly has the hots for daphne, thats why they keep sneaking off. It was, in fact, part of the original joke.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #701

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Fred only comes off that way if you look at strictly the newer characterization where he got flanderized into being stupid and single minded. If you include the original material, he clearly has the hots for daphne, thats why they keep sneaking off. It was, in fact, part of the original joke.
    I'm aware, but we're talking about good adaptations of the show.

(I also kinda doubt the "adult" reading of "oh Fred and Daphne always sneak off together to make out or whatever" as being intentional. It's just kind of boring an idea.)
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-03-04 at 09:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm aware, but we're talking about good adaptations of the show.
    Are we talking consistently good or allowing only sporadically good? Because besides the original, I think only Mystery Inc gets to meet the criteria for the former.

And Zombie Island if were allowing the movies.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-03-04 at 09:50 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #703

Are we talking consistently good or allowing only sporadically good? Because besides the original, I think only Mystery Inc gets to meet the criteria for the former.

And Zombie Island if were allowing the movies.
    Well, Rater was taking from a wide breadth of the series to establish this Velma Bad At Romance thing, but I was narrowing in on Mystery Inc because... yeah, it is basically the only Scooby Doo media that is consistently good. The other thing is that, if you don't primarily focus on Mystery Inc, Fred's personalty is... brick hero leader man. He's kinda not got a lot going on. There's a reason things that riff on the Scooby Doo formula tend to go a little wild (he's Ted Bundy) or extremely interesting (he has died and become a love powered vengeful skull ghost).

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, Rater was taking from a wide breadth of the series to establish this Velma Bad At Romance thing, but I was narrowing in on Mystery Inc because... yeah, it is basically the only Scooby Doo media that is consistently good. The other thing is that, if you don't primarily focus on Mystery Inc, Fred's personalty is... brick hero leader man. He's kinda not got a lot going on. There's a reason things that riff on the Scooby Doo formula tend to go a little wild (he's Ted Bundy) or extremely interesting (he has died and become a love powered vengeful skull ghost).
    Oh absolutely. The original series had very one note characters in service to the overall gags. Personally I think the overall group dynamic benefits from Fred being vanilla ice cream because nobody else is functional enough on their own to actually competently make decisions, except some versions of Daphne. Having him be the boring, well adjusted regular guy gives some context to Shaggy and Scooby's cowardice, Velma's analytic nature, and Daphne's... whichever version of her the specific media is using.

Its been a hot minute, but I vaguely recall one version of Fred ended up being the guy who said "well, we dont actually need to solve the mystery before we trap the monster, when the gang hit a dead end with their usual tactics.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I want to see a version of Scooby Doo that focuses on Shaggy as the sportsman of the group, while building on Fred's trap making skills to make him the group engineer. I want to see Fred fixing the Mystery Machine and other such things.

But I'm mostly just bored of 'Shaggy the cowardly maybe stoner' stuff.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Bugbear in the Playground

What? What a creepy, nasty little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    That depends on the concentration.
    ... So you're saying I should eat more cookies and ice cream?

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    ... So you're saying I should eat more cookies and ice cream?
    Well, I'm certainly saying that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #708
    Firbolg in the Playground

Be Cool Scooby Doo was pertty consistently good, although it was also pretty radically different from all the other series
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

opinions on speed cameras for all you tea drinkers?

personally i subscribe to top gears speed of thought

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

This was back in the late 90s when I was in 5th grade, and they were already phasing it out then. Pretty sure even schools here in Florida don't do corporal punishment anymore, though I don't think there's actually a LAW against it, most schools just defer to the majority opinion of parents, and the social tide has shifted against, at the very least, other people being able to hit your kids.

The petty principal thing is (I assume) unusual and he did not last very long in his job once my mom figured out what was going on partway through the year.
    I'm glad you mom put a stop to it. I feel terrible for the kids that had to go through corporeal punishment in school with no recourse. I think there's at least one Roald Dahl book where an educational authority figure hits a kid with a cane as part of their punishment.

Probably not, yeah. There's a pretty wide line between getting some heated buttcheeks and being beaten black and blue with a rubber hose, as a random example.
    I personally wouldn't describe being spanked as "getting some heated buttcheeks." That's too glib to me. It's physical violence, and it's bad for both the punisher and the punished.

I'm not so sure that's a random example. Were you or someone you knew beaten with a rubber hose till you bled inside all over? I'm sorry.

21. - Top - End - #711

So last night I was laying in bed trying to sleep and suddenly I was dreaming that I was a fictional character... but not one I particularly identify with.

And I wasn't doing anything. I was just a character... Laying in my bed trying to sleep.

So basically I dreamed was a different person doing what I as doing before I fell asleep.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Today I got to go to the locksmith to get a copy of my older brother keys because he lost it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

23. - Top - End - #713

Observation: Whenever the scooby-Doo franchise needs a dead colonel, the colonel is always named Beauregard.

The colonel whose life Scooby saved, thus causing him to mention the dog in his will? Beauregard.

Actual for real ghost who needs to be laid to rest? Beauregard.

Shaggy's civil veteran great great uncle who somehow lived long enough to know Shaggy as a person and left him the family plantation and a fortune in gold and jewels? Beauregard.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    opinions on speed cameras for all you tea drinkers?
    They're one of the few things I know that can make habitual speeders stay within the limit. They're not perfect, but certainly better than nothing.

Also a free tip: if you're flying across the Atlantic do not wear your hard contact lens that day. There's no place to take it out, and now my eye hurts from having had to wear a lens for 18 hours.

So I'm on holiday and blind!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #715

Today I realized that there was an entire arc going on in the background of Gravity Falls.

Specifically, the subtle character development of Tyler Cutebiker.

Throughout the first season he appears as a gag, whenever a large, muscular manly character is inflicting violence on something Tyler appears and says "get'em, get'em" but in the second season the formula is played with "get it, get it" leading to him throwing his hat into the ring when the mayoral election is happening "get in there!" and after he wins the election(mostly by default if we're being honest) he happily declares "got it, got it" and ultimately by the end he has to confidence to demand that a demon from the nightmare realm "get on out of here," not that it worked.

So... basically he was a man living vicariously through others only to suddenly gain the confidence to take charge of his life and pursue success on his own merits which in turn led to a boost in confidence in general.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. I got great news to tell you all. Yesterday at my job I'm going to be on TV as a food judge on PBS. 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. I got great news to tell you all. Yesterday at my job I'm going to be on TV as a food judge on PBS. 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩
    Was it a tasting by jury?

Show

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Was it a tasting by jury?
    Great pun by the way.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Things that weird me out about America: no kitties on the streets.

Show

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Things that weird me out about America: no kitties on the streets.
    Kitties are more like indoor animals.