New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Certainly not a BOAT film. Just very good, as Muppet films tend to be, and Tim Curry was excellent in it, as Tim Curry tends to be.
    Agreed. The comment I've made early (back when we watched Muppet Christmas Carol) about Tim Curry being maximum Muppet makes a LOT more sense now that I've seen the film. Like, it made sense on the face of it, but having seen it I can now see that... because of his role as Long John Silver involves having to be on one leg most of the time, he spends almost the entire time sitting down on things or being hoisted around by others.

In other words; not only does he, as an actor, carry the vibe of a puppet... he is PHYSICALLY acting like a puppet. It's quite ingenious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It is a Best of All Time film...in that it is probably the best piece of Muppet media, and one of Tim Curry's best performances.

But being the best Muppet film basically just makes it a good movie, not a lifechanging experience.
    Eh, I would say Muppet Christmas Carol was much, much better a film. This one was simply really very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not just any actor who can outham the Muppets.

NGL, Professional Pirate is one of my favorite songs.
    Professional Pirate is quite good (and has probably my second favorite joke in the film), but I honestly think Shiver Me Timbers, the opening number, is my favorite.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-01-18 at 08:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yo! My TikTok videos are blowing up like crazy!
    Don't worry, I'm sure Peeled has notified the relevant authorities, the videos will be defused shortly.

It's not just any actor who can outham the Muppets.
    I mean, I do prefer Sir Micheal Caine treating them as members of the RSC.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Don't worry, I'm sure Peelee has notified the relevant authorities, the videos will be defused shortly.
    I don't deal with blatantly obvious spyware.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-01-18 at 09:12 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't deal with blatantly obvious spyware.
    I mean, I've seen you link stuff from Google-owned YouTube before.

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I mean, I've seen you link stuff from Google-owned YouTube before.
    Notwithstanding that they are, at least nominally, under jurisdiction of the US government, it's also too late for me on that by a couple decades.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Firbolg in the Playground

Notwithstanding that they are, at least nominally, under jurisdiction of the US government, it's also too late for me on that by a couple decades.
    Well, I could name a similar "mitigating" factor for TikTok, but somehow neither makes me, as a European FLOWER really happy.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Eh, I would say Muppet Christmas Carol was much, much better a film. This one was simply really very good.
    Correct Agreed.

Professional Pirate is quite good (and has probably my second favorite joke in the film), but I honestly think Shiver Me Timbers, the opening number, is my favorite.
    Shiver My Timbers is the best, certainly; but while Professional Pirate's got that bit with "bad or good" where Tim Curry's hands express approval of "bad" and disapproval of "good", it has to compete with Sailing For Adventures' immensely cheery "people die by falling overboard" line.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Correct Agreed.

Shiver My Timbers is the best, certainly; but while Professional Pirate's got that bit with "bad or good" where Tim Curry's hands express approval of "bad" and disapproval of "good", it has to compete with Sailing For Adventures' immensely cheery "people die by falling overboard" line.
    Sailing For Adventure On The Big Blue Wet Thing!!

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, I could name a similar "mitigating" factor for TikTok, but somehow neither makes me, as a European FLOWER really happy.
    Yes yes, i know you started off disadvantaged.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

I've been playing Persona 5 Royal on the Switch since Christmas, and there's two things that annoy me:
    1) Morgana. **** the cat, they can't take a hint and make the narration take far too long
    2) the Velvet Room places Joker in a cell, but I cannot work out why it's a padded cell.

Also when are they patching in the obviously intended romantic routes for Ryuji and Yusuke?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #311

I've been playing Persona 5 Royal on the Switch since Christmas, and there's two things that annoy me:
    1) Morgana. **** the cat, they can't take a hint and make the narration take far too long
    2) the Velvet Room places Joker in a cell, but I cannot work out why it's a padded cell.

Also when are they patching in the obviously intended romantic routes for Ryuji and Yusuke?
    Morgana gets better but he is definitely an insufferable existence.

Padded cells are, ostensibly, to be used for violent inmates who may harm themselves. It fits quite well with the vibe.

Related, I watched the first two episodes of Bang Brave Bang Bravern. If G-Witch is the shy lesbian yearning mecha anime of last year... Bravern is the passionate gay desire mecha anime of the new year. It is incredible and I highly suggest you watch it without any context beyond "it's gay".

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Related, I watched the first two episodes of Bang Brave Bang Bravern. If G-Witch is the shy lesbian yearning mecha anime of last year... Bravern is the passionate gay desire mecha anime of the new year. It is incredible and I highly suggest you watch it without any context beyond "it's gay".
    I mean.....I want to watch both now?

also I just read Cautious Hero manga, and I like it, didn't think someone could make a ridiculously cautious hero good to any extent, but they managed even if the protag's kind of a gag character. I'm now wondering if whether Seiya or Saitama would win if they fought against each other, because while Saitama can defeat anything in one punch, Seiya is so ridiculously cautious he'd some how guess that Saitama can somehow do that before ever met him and try to prepare. its very possible that they'd kill each other, with Seiya dying to the punch thrown but setting some plan in motion that defeats Saitama despite he himself dying.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #313

I mean.....I want to watch both now?

also I just read Cautious Hero manga, and I like it, didn't think someone could make a ridiculously cautious hero good to any extent, but they managed even if the protag's kind of a gag character. I'm now wondering if whether Seiya or Saitama would win if they fought against each other, because while Saitama can defeat anything in one punch, Seiya is so ridiculously cautious he'd some how guess that Saitama can somehow do that before ever met him and try to prepare. its very possible that they'd kill each other, with Seiya dying to the punch thrown but setting some plan in motion that defeats Saitama despite he himself dying.
    You should then! Gundam: The Witch from Mercury is a very good starter Gundam series, because it hits all of what makes Gundam a great series: depictions of the absolute terror of warfare, mecha that go pew pew pew real good, discussions about philosophy that are genuinely nuanced and meaningful, and a cute orb that says haro. It also opens with a girl getting engaged to another girl and the entire plot revolves around the fact that these two girls are falling in love with each other.

Bravern meanwhile... look, it's on Crunchyroll's website. It's best to just go into this one utterly blind.

I've heard Cautious Hero is good, but like most isekai series I don't really have time for them. The only one I've ever really gotten into is Fabiniku, another great queer series.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-01-20 at 09:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

oh, I've watched Gundam Seed, Destiny, 00, some of Iron Orphans and even checked out the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movie, I'm familiar with gundam. just haven't found a way to see Witch of Mercury yet.

but regardless, I'll check it out.

15. - Top - End - #315

oh, I've watched Gundam Seed, Destiny, 00, some of Iron Orphans and even checked out the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movie, I'm familiar with gundam. just haven't found a way to see Witch of Mercury yet.

but regardless, I'll check it out.
    It's also on Crunchyroll, and I think probably free at this point.

16. - Top - End - #316

As stated in a previous incarnation of the thread, the only Gundam Series I've actually watched are Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Gundam SD Force, which uh... skewed my mental image of the franchise significantly.

I've also done some extensive reading on Turn A and some EU stuff. There's a G-Gundam spin-off game where some remaining DG Cells evolve into a "Devil Gundam Jr" which is aesthetically very similar to Turn X which has lead to some speculation.

If nothing else, there being a connection would explain how Turn X can use Shining Finger.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Morgana gets better but he is definitely an insufferable existence.
    As a character they're fine, my main issue is how they replace the narrator.

Padded cells are, ostensibly, to be used for violent inmates who may harm themselves. It fits quite well with the vibe.
    I dunno, Joker at the start of the game doesn't seem self-destructive enough for that. It's a valid direction to take, but they seem to have actually gone with apathetic.

Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

As stated in a previous incarnation of the thread, the only Gundam Series I've actually watched are Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Gundam SD Force, which uh... skewed my mental image of the franchise significantly.

I've also done some extensive reading on Turn A and some EU stuff. There's a G-Gundam spin-off game where some remaining DG Cells evolve into a "Devil Gundam Jr" which is aesthetically very similar to Turn X which has lead to some speculation.

If nothing else, there being a connection would explain how Turn X can use Shining Finger.
    oh right, that reminds, I've also watched G Gundam.

and Witch From Mercury IS free, but Bravern still requires subscription. may have to hold off on the latter then, unfortunately. thankfully I seem to be uncommonly skilled at avoiding spoilers for things.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

It's also on Crunchyroll, and I think probably free at this point.
    At the very least, you can see both the subbed and dubbed versions of WfM on the Gundam youtube - I'm doing a rewatch of the series right now, in fact, now that the dubbed version is out (which is actually really good so far).
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2024-01-21 at 11:48 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I still need to finish that game and see the extra months... I stopped in the original game's final boss room.

Morgana, like Preston Garvey or Central or Navi or [insert video game character here] unfortunately gets saddled with being the game's way of tutorializing its mechanics and/or communicating with the player what the game wants you to do. On top of being the primary way of keeping you from going outside to do stuff.

He isn't great, but he grew on me in retrospect. I remain annoyed that he continues to simp for Ann when Haru is *right there* and would be a better fit if not for... eh, you'll see at the end.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #321

...I want a Persona 5 Arena. Or something that fills the same niche that Arena did for P4, at least.

Let Joker and Co meet the P3 and P4 casts in a context where they won't all forget that they met as soon as they're done with the adventure for ****'s sake.

Maybe follow up on that cliffhanger from the very last seconds of the True ending of Royal while we're at it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

If i have to play the game by their rules, i can at least choose to make it fun.
    Yeah.

I'm glad someone appreciates the joke

It comes and goes, generally with the worry I'm a woman with internalized transphobia.

...except when it pertains to hair. Masculine hair sucks, I want only femme hair!
    If it helps, I don't consider not being sure about or unconsciously suppressing your gender to be internalized transphobia.

It is funny how hair length and hair styles are such a big cultural signifier of gender. When I change my hair people gender me differently.

It is too late for me. Save yourselves.
    I hope it wasn't too cold and everyone is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yo! My TikTok videos are blowing up like crazy!
    Nice! Congrats. Are you doing tarot card readings?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post

Nice! Congrats. Are you doing tarot card readings?
    Yes. How did you know?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I hope it wasn't too cold and everyone is okay.
    It nearly got down to single digits. Single digits, i tells ya! I do not understand how wildlife survives anywhere outside of tropical and warmer climates.

25. - Top - End - #325

It nearly got down to single digits. Single digits, i tells ya! I do not understand how wildlife survives anywhere outside of tropical and warmer climates.
    My sibling in non-denominational figure of reference, it gets to be below zero at night here.

That pales in comparison to what Zodi goes through up in the ****-all north part of America's hat where-in it gets so cold that the air sometimes rubs a cheese grater in your face.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #326

My sibling in non-denominational figure of reference, it gets to be below zero at night here.

That pales in comparison to what Zodi goes through up in the ****-all north part of America's hat where-in it gets so cold that the air sometimes rubs a cheese grater in your face.
    You know, up until Qwerty had to go home, we'd been unseasonably warm, hovering around the -15 range.

The day after she left it was -45, and that held for around a week.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I do not understand how wildlife survives anywhere outside of tropical and warmer climates.
    Fur coats.
    Or down coats.
    Or they migrate towards the equator for the winter.

28. - Top - End - #328

You know, up until Qwerty had to go home, we'd been unseasonably warm, hovering around the -15 range.

The day after she left it was -45, and that held for around a week.
    And that's where i dont understand how domesticated life survives.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who lives in a completely temperate and pleasant climate I have no idea how anyone stands either extreme. Not even yours.

30. - Top - End - #330

As someone who lives in a completely temperate and pleasant climate I have no idea how anyone stands either extreme. Not even yours.
    Mine is unpleasant when it hits the hot extremes, sure, but it's also still conducive to life.