New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Is restoring Feat chains to 5E workable?

I was originally going to ask if feat chains were really as bad as people said, based on how much I enjoyed them in The Temple of Elemental Evil (at least after The Circle of Eight community whipped it into shape), when I remembered/realized

1. I never actually played 3.X on the tabletop (had gotten away from D&D when it came out)
    2. I've never played a fighter as my primary character or as my primary class
    3. The feeling of expectation waiting to level up so you can grab the next feat in line is probably a lot more enjoyable when you have an entire party to play with than when your dude is essentially stuck in neutral pending his next upgrade

With that said, I still miss them. Like most respectable gamers nowadays, I've been playing a ton of Baldur's Gate 3, and Great Weapon Fighting (style) -> Great Weapon Master (feat) don't really hold a candle to Power Attack-> Cleave-> Great Cleave->, and that's just for one of my companions. Having Dodge-> Mobility-> Spring Attack and/or Point Blank Shot-> Precise Shot->etc... on my Tav would be pure gaming Nirvana.

I know this topic was discussed unto death when 5E first came out, but what do most current players think? How do you or your group feel about these? I'm sure many others have ported 3.X feats into 5E, but have any of you actually done it in your games, and what was the result?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is restoring Feat chains to 5E workable?

No, nothing gets enough feats to warrant any costs now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

5e does actually have a limited number of feat chains again, but they're a lot shorter and tend to focus on 1st-4th. Some examples:

Dragonlance
    Initiate of High Sorcery -> Adept of the {X} Robes
    Squire of Solamnia -> Knight of the {X}

Planescape
    Scion of the Outer Planes -> Baleful Heritor
    Scion of the Outer Planes -> Righteous Heritor
    Scion of the Outer Planes -> Cohort of Chaos
    Scion of the Outer Planes -> Agent of Order
    Scion of the Outer Planes -> Planar Wanderer

Bigbys
    Strike of the Giants -> {X} of the {Y} Giant

Crawford and Kenreck discussed a bit of their approach to feat chains in 5e in one of their Unearthed Arcana videos (I think the Dragonlance one?) I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, if your table gives out bonus feats either as general character building or as 'quest rewards'.
    No, if you play by the book.

Personally I'd see any 'chain' as needing a minimum of 3 pieces to be called a proper 'chain', and three feats is 12 levels of ASIs for most characters. 8 for Fighters. Balancing that would be tricky, to say the least.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the barriers to it in the base game are threefold, though I'm sure there are more to consider (like design space, dev intent, etc.).

1. Feats are too scarce
    2. Feats are too strong
    3. Feats have an opportunity cost

All of these are connected, of course. Feats are scarce because ASIs are scarce, and they're strong because you need to give up an ASI to take one, or give up stats to take one (bringing us back towards that opportunity cost).

I have played around with breaking up feats so that they're more 'digestible', porting stuff from 3.5, making them give smaller bonuses but giving players more options to get them, giving a choice of 1 feat and +1 stat with an ASI . . . but I think the fact that they're linked to ASI is the greatest barrier. Why would someone devote a resource at level-up to getting a certain feat when they can just boost a stat? You'd have to rework everything, and make feats that really entice players (AKA are busted OP) and even then it will take a lot of time.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Yes, if your table gives out bonus feats either as general character building or as 'quest rewards'.
    Actually - Dragonlance does give you bonus feats even if you play "by the book," with the explicit purpose to make picking up their feat chains easier

You get a bonus 1st-level and 4th-level feat from a specified list, which include the feat chains. In addition to making the feats easier to grab, their reasons for doing this were twofold:

1) Narratively, Krynn is a world at war and so they upped the power level of its heroes to reflect that.
    2) They viewed feat chains as more generally useful than the special rewards other settings used, like Ravenloft's Dark Gifts and Theros' Piety, and thus more deserving of the design time.

Personally I'd see any 'chain' as needing a minimum of 3 pieces to be called a proper 'chain', and three feats is 12 levels of ASIs for most characters. 8 for Fighters. Balancing that would be tricky, to say the least.
    And 10 for rogues.

But personally, I'm happy that 5e's "chains" are limited to two. That feels like fitting them in as bonuses would be an easy ask for a lot of DMs.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'd prefer having level requirements for feats rather then explicit chains. So for example if they added a Great Cleave feat that required you to be level 11+ and gave even more bonuses to attacking with two-handed weapons you wouldn't need to have already taken Great Weapon Master but there would probably be some good synergy so taking both would make sense for many characters, but it would also be viable to spend your ASIs on maxing your main stat and then only taking Great Cleave.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think this is accurate.

There is an option in the DMG to provide training as a reward to the PCs. This training can provide them with a feat. You can use this as a way to provide them with more feats than would normally be expected, and then can introduce feat chains.

Otherwise, 1 every 4 levels and in place of ASIs is a bit too much to support chains in my opinion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

For me, I'd rather see something along the line of 'talents', that can chain up. Basically, as TrueAlphaGamer noted, smaller bonuses than feats typically give. Grant them every 3 levels (perhaps giving the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, and Rogue a bonus one at 1st), and call it a day.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You can work them in, but it would take some massaging. Bonus feat at level 1, DM Boons, splitting down feats/ASIs and granting then more frequently, etc etc
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing is that feat chains weren't conceptually bad in 3.5 — there were some pretty decent implementations of the idea later in the edition, which usually involved tiered categories of feats instead of a strict chain. The core issue was that Ivory Tower game design meant that the vast majority of feats were hot garbage, and almost all of the feat chains built off of the worst ones all higgledy-piggledy. To give you an idea of how rough this was, let's look at the chain that you'd need to follow to get Whirlwind Attack, a pretty cool feat that let you AoE the enemies around you:

• First, you have to take Combat Expertise, which required an Intelligence of 13, which let you get up to a +5 to AC by trading your attack bonus on a one-for-one basis (up a maximum trade of your Base Attack Bonus). Not a great feat, honestly, especially since Int 13 was kinda annoying for a Fighter.
    • You'd also have to take Dodge, an absolutely garbage feat that required a Dexterity of 13 and gave you +1 to AC against a single enemy of your choice that you picked at the start of each turn. It was so bad that a bunch of later books added new feats that counted as Dodge for the purposes of prerequisites... but this would be what you'd be stuck with if you just had the PHB.
    • Having Dodge lets you take Mobility, which gave you a +4 to AC against opportunity attacks. Not an insignificant bonus, except you could just avoid opportunity attacks with good positioning and... wait, doesn't the feat we're aiming for want you to be in the middle of multiple enemies? Huh.
    • Having Mobility and a Base Attack Bonus of +4 meant you could take Spring Attack, which let you attack once and move as part of a full action. Bear in mind that a full action consisted of a standard action (which you could use to make a single attack) and a move action (which let you move), and... yeah, Spring Attack was kinda niche? Also not terribly pertinent to our dream of standing in the middle of a bunch of guys and attacking all of them.
    • With Spring Attack and Combat Expertise, we can finally take Whirlwind Attack! And it only took taking three other feats that have literally nothing to do with Whirlwind Attack!

Whirlwind Attack is a bit of an extreme example — it has notoriously terrible prerequisites — but the thing is that a lot of feat chains were like that. You'd see some feat that did something nice (like, say, Combat Archery, which made it so that your ranged attacks didn't provoke opportunity attacks), and then you'd check the prerequisites and oh look it requires three crappy feats that you can't even make use of! The only reason that it was at all workable was because feats were pretty plentiful.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2024-02-04 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    The thing is that feat chains weren't conceptually bad in 3.5 — there were some pretty decent implementations of the idea later in the edition, which usually involved tiered categories of feats instead of a strict chain. The core issue was that Ivory Tower game design meant that the vast majority of feats were hot garbage, and almost all of the feat chains built off of the worst ones all higgledy-piggledy. To give you an idea of how rough this was, let's look at the chain that you'd need to follow to get Whirlwind Attack, a pretty cool feat that let you AoE the enemies around you:

• First, you have to take Combat Expertise, which required an Intelligence of 13, which let you get up to a +5 to AC by trading your attack bonus on a one-for-one basis (up a maximum trade of your Base Attack Bonus). Not a great feat, honestly, especially since Int 13 was kinda annoying for a Fighter.
    • You'd also have to take Dodge, an absolutely garbage feat that required a Dexterity of 13 and gave you +1 to AC against a single enemy of your choice that you picked at the start of each turn. It was so bad that a bunch of later books added new feats that counted as Dodge for the purposes of prerequisites... but this would be what you'd be stuck with if you just had the PHB.
    • Having Dodge lets you take Mobility, which gave you a +4 to AC against opportunity attacks. Not an insignificant bonus, except you could just avoid opportunity attacks with good positioning and... wait, doesn't the feat we're aiming for want you to be in the middle of multiple enemies? Huh.
    • Having Mobility and a Base Attack Bonus of +4 meant you could take Spring Attack, which let you attack once and move as part of a full action. Bear in mind that a full action consisted of a standard action (which you could use to make a single attack) and a move action (which let you move), and... yeah, Spring Attack was kinda niche? Also not terribly pertinent to our dream of standing in the middle of a bunch of guys and attacking all of them.
    • With Spring Attack and Combat Expertise, we can finally take Whirlwind Attack! And it only took taking three other feats that have literally nothing to do with Whirlwind Attack!

Whirlwind Attack is a bit of an extreme example — it has notoriously terrible prerequisites — but the thing is that a lot of feat chains were like that. You'd see some feat that did something nice (like, say, Combat Archery, which made it so that your ranged attacks didn't provoke opportunity attacks), and then you'd check the prerequisites and oh look it requires three crappy feats that you can't even make use of! The only reason that it was at all workable was because feats were pretty plentiful.
    That's the gist of it with old feat chains, really. It's less about how many feats you might've needed and more that half the feats connected to whatever your dream was were irrelevant and/or various degrees of bad. On top of that, many of these crappy prerequisites were kinda ubiquitous - Combat Expertise, for example, was at the root of pretty much anything related to combat maneuvers, so if you wanted anything to do with these, you'd have to spend points on raising Int to 13 on a character that typically had no use for Int and would probably never use the effect of CE to boot. Dodge could also be found all over the place.

Of course, there were also cases where the feat chains would just be too long or wouldn't be worth it because the end result didn't justify below mediocre prerequisites. See two-weapon fighting, which asked for pretty much all of your feats in the average game, or the joke about Pathfinder characters needing a feat chain to go to the bathroom.

Now, with 5e the problem is kind of the opposite - not only do you get very few feats, but also they're spread pretty widely around your levelling. There have been some "chains" introduced in later books. Not really chains per se, just feats with feat prerequisites, which wasn't the case for most of the edition's run. And even these feel kinda crappy, despite having just two "links", because it'll basically take forever to actually have them. It's kind of OK if you start with a feat-granting background or custom lineage/variant human and you can get them by lv4, though not great; it's flat out disappointing if you don't start like that and you need to wait until lv4 and subsequently lv8 to get your upgrade. In between... well, what a shame, hope you're happy with the entry level feat granting you a mediocre 1st-level spell once per day or whatever. Too bad your campaign ends at lv10 too, you'll barely manage to play with your big lv8 feat.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2024-02-04 at 07:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Others have said it, and I agree; 5e doesn't give enough feats to make feat chains viable. The feat would have to be so powerful that balance would become a real concern because a specific character (vhuman fighter) gets 3 feats by level 6. If the 3rd feat in the chain is powerful enough to justify waiting till level 12 on most characters, getting it at 6 is probably a problem. And frankly if it isn't a problem, it's not worth locking in feat/ASI decisions till 12.

To make this work, I think you'd at a minimum have give all characters a bonus feat at level 1, and then also give an ASI and a feat when they'd normally only be getting an ASI (and get rid of stats boosts on feats). I personally think those are good things to do *anyway,* but that's just me. And if you really wanted to lean into chains, giving feats every 3 levels should probably be considered.

If you wanted to do something akin to feat chains without changing too much, homebrew up some awesome feats and then give them level requirements. Granted, that probably means characters are nearly locked into picking those feats at given levels (I'm assuming you'd make good feats and not crummy ones), but it would be mechanically similar to feat chains.
    Last edited by Skrum; 2024-02-04 at 08:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Others have said it, and I agree; 5e doesn't give enough feats to make feat chains viable. The feat would have to be so powerful that balance would become a real concern because a specific character (vhuman fighter) gets 3 feats by level 6. If the 3rd feat in the chain is powerful enough to justify waiting till level 12 on most characters, getting it at 6 is probably a problem. And frankly if it isn't a problem, it's not worth locking in feat/ASI decisions till 12.

To make this work, I think you'd at a minimum have give all characters a bonus feat at level 1, and then also give an ASI and a feat when they'd normally only be getting an ASI (and get rid of stats boosts on feats). I personally think those are good things to do *anyway,* but that's just me. And if you really wanted to lean into chains, giving feats every 3 levels should probably be considered.

If you wanted to do something akin to feat chains without changing too much, homebrew up some awesome feats and then give them level requirements. Granted, that probably means characters are nearly locked into picking those feats at given levels (I'm assuming you'd make good feats and not crummy ones), but it would be mechanically similar to feat chains.
    Feat chains are just a weird way of multiclassing. If you think about what a class is, it is a series of mini-feats connected in an unending chain from level 1-20. Feat chains are basically that but at 'weird levels'.

In general it is a bad idea because it is just another way to make a 'broken/unplayable' character. It is (I think) why VHuman is so popular as feats tend to be more useful at lower levels and less obviously powerful at higher levels because of the lack of a chain mechanic.

Level requirements are just a better way of handling this kind of thing. That way you don't need to have things you don't want to get things you do want (the inherent problem in classes to begin with).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad we don't really have feat chains. That just felt awful in 3.5e when some of your prerequisite feats serve no purpose to what you're trying to do.

I much prefer the option of having extended feats that automatically have a built-in improvement at a certain level threshold.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Feats in 3.5 were also pretty small in comparison to 5e.
    Endurance and Diehard could probably be a single feat in 5e, for example.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, 3.5/4th/PF style feats are designed to be frequent and smaller than 5E. You're supposed to have lots of them, so it makes more sense to have them as things that can build and upgrade one another.

In 5E, a feat is supposed to enable a different playstyle or specifically augment an aspect of your character, and is considered as an alternative to just taking your regular stat bump. It's conceivable that you could have a character with no feats at all. You'd have to completely rework 5E feats to do something like this.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2024-02-04 at 11:35 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Is it the chain you're missing, i.e. "you must take this feat and then this one and then this one", or is it the complimentary nature of feats in a chain (which definitely wasn't always the case but that probably does apply to Spring Attack)? Because I don't think the former offers any inherent benefit, but I can understand missing the latter. There's a few feats that can go together well in 5e, but the list is shorter just because the feat list itself is smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

For one dnd moving forward I could see level 1 background feats being pre requisite for leveled feats. (Exactly as dragon lance does it)

Or almost basically how racial feats work.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quoting myself to fulfill a promise:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Crawford and Kenreck discussed a bit of their approach to feat chains in 5e in one of their Unearthed Arcana videos (I think the Dragonlance one?) I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Digging up the first Dragonlance/Heroes of Krynn UA video took longer than I thought it would - in part because they never actually call it that It was under their "Sage Advice" umbrella instead.

But anyway, in it, they talk about 5e's approach to "feat chains":

For those who prefer to read a transcript rather than (re)watch a devblog, here's the relevant quoted section:

Kenreck: "There's also something I've seen, is what many would call "feat-stacking," two feats that are related to each other. I actually rather miss this, so can you tell me a little bit about that?"

Crawford: "Yeah - we also in Strixhaven, in addition to having this background that you could take that gave you a feat, we then introduced a second feat that you could take, but you had to have the previous feat to take it; this is something that we also wanted to start exploring because we felt that, first off, feats are a very useful place for us to explore what are essentially class features not tied to a class. We as designers, that's basically what we think of a feat as - it's a a classless class feature. We wanted to be able to provide this feature option to strixhaven characters that was going to have a bit more a bit more 'oomph', a bit more power than a typical feat. And so for us the natural way to do that was, well, put a level prerequisite on it; and because we wanted to tie together sort of a narrative connection between them, also require you to have the previous feat. This is really useful, because it creates a way for us to give you options that have different levels of power - you know, we can give you lower-level power, higher-level power - and give you also the sense of going up a little sort of narrative ladder. It's optional - if you get the background and you get the free feat, you don't have to take the second one - but if you decide to invest in it, that's a fun little character development path that we're inviting you to go down. One of the pieces of feedback that we have gotten about the game since its release in 2014 is that especially our heavily invested players and people who've played a lot of different characters who are always looking for something new would like a few more ways to sort of 'turn the dials' on their characters, and these feats that build on each other, that's one way to do it.

This is also a space that we're continuing to explore because again we also introduced some feats like this in our {Heroes of Krynn} Unearthed Arcana because we also view this as very fertile design ground. Now in 3rd and 4th edition we did this as well, where you had feats that would go in a chain. Now, we also got very clear feedback back then that people grew weary if the chains grew too long - or or to use the stacking metaphor, if the stack got too high - so we're keeping that in mind as we explore this space, that it's unlikely that any of these chains will ever get - you know, you're not going to have like 10 feets in a chain
    (laughter) - but there is a space for us to explore, just like you have class features where you get a lower level one and then a higher level one, exploring having these essentially class-agnostic features that also can have levels, and that again opens the opportunity for us to create ones that would be more powerful than we would ever want a generic feat to be."

Kenreck: "This isn't getting back to, uh, mapping out your entire career ahead of time before you're at first level? 'I have to take all these feats in this order' kind of thing, back in that day...?"

Crawford: "Right now what we've shown is it's basically 'you get you get the starter one, and then there's another one you can pick, or there are three you can pick from.' We're going to keep exploring; this is what things like Unearthed Arcana are for. We are just about to release the survey for {Heroes of Krynn} so we're going to get more feedback on this; we know people really enjoyed that little feat chain {which} was two whole feats in Strixhaven, and so we're gonna keep exploring and keep getting feedback and seeing how these play out in people's campaigns."
    Clearly the Heroes of Krynn ones scored well, because as I noted upthread, they revisited this exact same design in Bigby's and Planescape, so the reaction to it must have been positive. What's most interesting is that they didn't rule out chains becoming longer than two feats long in 5e either. They don't want them to get as long as they did in 3e and 4e, but that still leaves them room to come up with "chains" that are more than two feats long, at least one day in the future.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

3e feat chains were fun, but crazy. Not a good way of doing it because they didn't really have any QC/QA on stuff it feels.

4e Feats works better but still could have some traps.

5e feat chains can work but you would need to redesign not only feats but actually use features in 5e that WotC doesn't like to talk about.

Having feats five inspiration during specific events would be a great way to make intro feats.

Feat chains would need to be things that blend the three pillars, but not into separate feats but blend them together.

Say, all feats are now set into chains. Each chain gets three feats to make a set.

===

First Feat: Exploration/Social and Combat

Second Feat: Exploration or Social (opposite of first feat) + Combat

Third: Bonus to Exploration, Social, Combat

===

D&D is primarily a combat game and ppl will choose combat options a lot so make all feats have benefit in combat.

I think micro feats are a better system than macro feats and would love to see it actually focused on and refined.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really, because you get very few of them. Also, because 3e feat chains are terrible for three reasons.

1. Each individual feat does way too little. And I'm not just saying this in comparison to 5e feats, but even inside the 3e paradigm, a single feat is likely doing next to nothing aside from some good outliers. Two-Weapon Fighting is a good feat (though it could auto-scale and that wouldn't be crazy still). 3e Dodge is a bad feat. 3e Toughness is a terrible feat (yes, even in the "intended" situation of a level 1 Wizard who really wants to live to level 2). A single combat feat every 2 levels is what Fighter gets, in the same book that has Cleric and Druid getting similar baseline numbers but also full 9-level spellcasting. A single fighter bonus feat, therefore, should have been at least somewhat comparable to what a Druid got in the same two levels. And even 5e feats are far from being anywhere similar to that.
    2. Prerequisites are all over the place. Whirlwind Attack was already cited, but it's hardly the only feat that requires two or three feats that don't have anything to do with what the final feat does.
    3. Some 3e feats are directly counter-intuitive. Point-Blank Shot is a feat that encourages archers to NOT utilize their range advantage and instead stick in move+attack or even Pounce distance from basically everything in the game. It's also a prerequisite for everything to do with Archery, so there's no avoiding it.

In short, I like how 3e does things a lot more than how 5e does things. But feat chains were terrible in 3e and 5e is better for having gotten rid of them.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Some 3e feats are directly counter-intuitive. Point-Blank Shot is a feat that encourages archers to NOT utilize their range advantage [...]
    This one makes more sense when you realize that the specialization bonus for bows in 2e included giving you a "Point Blank" range... though it was way stronger than +1 to hit (Specialization for bows was +2 to hit at close range, +1 to hit at all ranges, and an extra half-attack).

As a side note, it's actually really funny how much stronger the Weapon Specialization rules are in 2e than the equivalents in 3e. A 2e Fighter could potentially start off specialized in two to three weapons at first level depending on how broad you wanted your proficiencies to be, which would be equivalent to something like six to nine feats in 3e. Not only did they hand out the Fighter's unique stuff to literally everyone, they nerfed it too!
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

24. - Top - End - #24

Feat chains were terrible in 3e and are even worse in 5e, where feats are less abundant.

Can you restore them? Sure, they already have been in that phoned in Bigby's supplement.

Should you? Absolutely not. Locking people into semi-fixed progressions for several levels is counterproductive. It needlessly reduces the number of opportunities for players to make meaningful, distinctive choices about their progression. It further encourages people to plan out their builds ahead of time rather than progress organically. It also limits character distinctiveness, since it hogs a disproportionate amount of ASI space for the same progression every time.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-02-13 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    This one makes more sense when you realize that the specialization bonus for bows in 2e included giving you a "Point Blank" range... though it was way stronger than +1 to hit (Specialization for bows was +2 to hit at close range, +1 to hit at all ranges, and an extra half-attack).

As a side note, it's actually really funny how much stronger the Weapon Specialization rules are in 2e than the equivalents in 3e. A 2e Fighter could potentially start off specialized in two to three weapons at first level depending on how broad you wanted your proficiencies to be, which would be equivalent to something like six to nine feats in 3e. Not only did they hand out the Fighter's unique stuff to literally everyone, they nerfed it too!
    When I started diving back into older editions, this is what immediately stuck out to me. The only reasons feats exist as they do in 3e is because they took all the class abilities Fighters had away, made them feats, and then made them worse
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    When I started diving back into older editions, this is what immediately stuck out to me. The only reasons feats exist as they do in 3e is because they took all the class abilities Fighters had away, made them feats, and then made them worse
    Not entirely. Feats were the 3e take on weapon proficiencies, which sometimes had really wonky exotic rules to enhance particular weapons. They then expanded it to broader things, like metamagic and skill boosts and the like.

You're not wrong, per se, but that wasn't what they set out to do. It just turned out that way.

I think that things which you would build as feat chains would be better suited as charms, boons, or other narrative-progression rewards. You want a feat chain for a cool martial tradition taught by the Knights of Formal Regalia? Have those who want to learn those techniques seek out the Knights and join their ranks as a squire to learn the first one. Impress them by achieving great things in their name or on their behalf to have a teacher teach the next one to you. The third one comes when you go on a quest that they set for you which unlocks the connection between sartorial and martial prowess, and you gain the understanding necessary to master their secret art.

Such things are much like magic items in terms of their place in the reward structure of 5e.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Feat chains were terrible in 3e and are even worse in 5e, where feats are less abundant.

Can you restore them? Sure, they already have been in that phoned in Bigby's supplement.

Should you? Absolutely not. Locking people into semi-fixed progressions for several levels is counterproductive. It needlessly reduces the number of opportunities for players to make meaningful, distinctive choices about their progression. It further encourages people to plan out their builds ahead of time rather than progress organically. It also limits character distinctiveness, since it hogs a disproportionate amount of ASI space for the same progression every time.
    I second more or less all of this. I think some things, can be done well as feat chains in other systems, but the overwhelming majority will be this.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

28. - Top - End - #28

I don't necessarily agree with any of that. It seems to me that "planning builds" is a longtime staple and pastime for many people in the hobby; there's like countless threads and youtube videos dedicated to exactly that. Ludic's long running thread is exactly that. So that seems a complete non-issue.

And it only limits "distinctiveness" to the degree that everyone wants to play with the feat chains. Given that I haven't heard much of a hubbub about ANY of the current feat chains (Dragonlance, Planescape, Bigby's) I don't see this as a thing.

And again... I'm not sure how concerned we are about distinctiveness since the game is already plagued with cookie-cutter "optimized" builds.

The big issue with feat chains for 3rd edition is that they were expensive for little gain. The issue for 5E is that you get too few of them and they compete with ASIs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Feat chains are already in 5E. They just call them "subclass variants" instead.
    Stuff that would have been in feat chains in 3.5 is largely decided by what subclass you pick at 3rd level instead.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Feat chains are already in 5E. They just call them "subclass variants" instead.
    Stuff that would have been in feat chains in 3.5 is largely decided by what subclass you pick at 3rd level instead.
    I don't think a single feat chain in 3e does for you what subclasses do for any class in 5e. Unless you consider every feature a class has beyond spells and proficiencies basically a feat
    Last edited by Luccan; 2024-02-13 at 04:36 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show