Spoiler
    Show

Lorem Ipsum - Monk (Way of the Shadow) - played by J-H
    Hallveig Sturlusdottir, Path of the Giant Barbarian, played by TriciaOso
    Nettle Crimsonwood, Rogue Soulknife Dhampir played by Awful
    Kerykes Diophantus, Cleric of Light, played by ProudGrognard
    Shavriel Rolga Sorceress played by SwordCoastTaxi

Link to OOC Thread

The war between Morienn and the Kalo Empire raged for most of the Spring, Summer and Fall, culminating in the conquest of the city of Corsand. The city was based at the mouth of the Corsand River, which supplied fresh water, fishing and trade route access to the western territories. After the city fell - a debatable fact, if you ask anyone from Morienn, who claim it was a strategic withdraw - the Kalo Empire halted hostilities for the moment, content with repairing, fortifying and consolidating their position for the coming winter. Meanwhile the Morienn forces withdrew to back to the north to lick their wounds.

Having recently fallen to the Kalo Empire only a few weeks prior, the city of Corsand was in poor state - many of the populace wanted nothing to do with the war and wanted only to live their own lives. Some saw potential with the war and the promise of the fortune it could bring. Others saw a hen house with no rooster, guard dog or farmer in sight.

In a small tavern not too far from the docks, known as The Chicken's Coop, you made your way. It's early afternoon, and the sun shines brightly in the sky, but with a cool breeze that announces winter is not too far behind. You are searching for a man known as 'Jorgan' - your contact inside the city and your next mission.

(I leave it open to however you would like to introduce your character and have them enter the tavern)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Da'mall - IC Thread

Shavriel Rolga brought her horse to a stop just outside the Chicken Coop and dismounted. With a troubled smile she looked around nodding at locals while also noting the location of any nearby Kalo soldiers. While tying down Rux her faithful steed for years now Shavriel gazed upward and spotted Trief her nosey raven Familiar perched at the peak of the Chicken Coop.

"Trief, keep your eyes on the Kalo soldiers and open for anything suspicious, okay?" Shavriel telepathically-briefed her avian ally.

"Now that I have eaten, I will be vigilant" the large black bird cawed and studied the area around the tavern from above.

With that the Morienn mage grasped her robes around her and walked into the Chicken Coop hoping to see a familiar face ......

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

[img]
    [/img]

Lorem Ipsum

Human Shadow Monk
    AC: 16 HP: 24/24
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --
    Lorem arrives, leaning on his staff as he walks with a slight limp. Open carrying of weapons is frowned upon, but an injured ankle is excuse enough to have a large walking stick. He just has to remember which ankle to limp with, in case he passes the same invaders twice in a week.

Lorem walks into the Chicken Coop and looks around for Jorgen, or anyone else he knows.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Kerykes was up since dawn. His room was small, old and expensive, but it was in an attic and Kerykes had access to the roof. He greeted the new sun with the Rite of Dawn, as he did every day. And then of course, it was time for his rounds, keeping the hope alive in his small neighborhood. Darith the carter's hand was recovering from the stabbing, and Kerykes washed it, changed his bandages and made sure the infected rush was receding. Then, Madame Shara, his landlord was expecting him for a small breakfast. Shara was old and mean-spirited, and her herbal tea mediocre, but she remembered the Old Days. She needed the company. And then little Jherik the orphan, Alianassis the elven musician and a score of others. Kerykes does not visit every one of them, but he makes an effort to check now and then.

But at last, it is almost the afternoon and Kerykes let's Darith give him a ride to the docks. Weapons are not allowed, but strangely enough the chain shirt does not draw to much attention, nor does the bundled, well-used wooden shield in his back. Kerykes makes sure to come early, as he enjoys the rustle and bustle of taverns. Picking a table by the side, with a good view of the door, Kerykes orders a cheap wine and hot,boiled water. The wine he will not drink, but it is perhaps time for a good coffee.

As if on queue, by the time coffee was done, Kerykes spotted Lorem, a much finer musician than Kerykes would ever be. A hearty wave indicates the empty chair. Moments later, Shavriel also enters. Kerykes does not know her so well, but it can be hardly an accident that she is also here. Besides, Shavriel 's presence is like a tangible thing, and can hardly be mistaken. Another wave, and another pointing towards another empty chair follows. If they accept the invitation, he greets them

"Always bring hope everywhere! What a coincidence, to see you both here"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Havleig Sturlusdottir

Hill Dwarf Giant Barbarian
    AC: 14 HP: 38/38
    PPer: 13 PInv: 9 PIst: 13

Hallveig wakes up in her cousin's basement. Just like every morning since the Langhus burned, she's first disoriented, then depressed. She looks around blearily and finds the usual detritus of her incinerated life: axes; her mother's totem stick, redolent with various ancient dwarven yeasts; dirty laundry, redolent with various ancient dwarven stains; bottles of home-brew beer. The sight of it does not make her any less depressed, except for maybe the beer.

"Ugh." She rolls off the straw pallet and begins to load up her pack. Axes, yes. Brewing supplies, no. Laundry, no. Beer, yes. The first ten bottles she marks with the Hill rune, imbuing them with healing magic; two more she packs just for herself. The greataxe does not fit in a pack, so she rips straw from her pallet and takes some twine and disguises it as a broom. It will only pass the most cursory inspection, but who is going to look hard at a disheveled dwarf toting a broom?

She makes her way to the Chicken Coop, a tavern she would not have considered a rival so much as an indoor toilet, back when she had her own. She recognizes her compatriots and joins them, setting down her 'broom' with an incongrous thump. She waives away the bartender and pulls a beer of her own from her pack.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Hill rune allows Hallveig to cast Goodberry once per day. Her goodberries happen to look like bottles of beer.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2024-02-14 at 03:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

(I'm skipping Awful / Nettle's entrance as he didn't post. If he hasn't posted by tomorrow around this time, we can have him come in a few minutes late.)

The Chicken Coop is in a rather sad state - much of the wood is showing signs of age and exposure to the lake. It's humid, to the point of being damp, and though with the breeze from the lake would be pleasant in the summer, it's a cold wind that the rather small hearth and fire offers little comfort.

Perception check -
    Lorem Ipsum - (1d20+3)[23]
    Hallveig Sturlusdottir, (1d20+3)[18]
    Nettle Crimsonwood, (1d20+4)[16]
    Kerykes Diophantus, (1d20+7)[16]
    Shavriel Rolga(1d20+2)[22]

You catch the innkeeper's eye the moment you step through the door.

Anyone who's roll beats a DC10 Perception check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A scarred face, battered leather clothes, and a cauliflower ear identifies the man as a back alley thug. Definitely a tough customer who's seen too many fights.

Anyone who beats a DC20 Perception check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a slight posture shift in the two men at the table by the door. You catch the slight sound of one inhaling in a rush of adrenaline, but they continue their soft conversation.

You catch sight of Jorgan sitting in a large chair by the fire. Even in his chair, the huge man seems uncomfortable in the tavern. His large, muscled frame too large for the wooden seat. He waves you over as you enter, greeting you by name and making various small talk as appropriate. There is an awkward pause as he takes the group in.

"We are missing one, yes? Nettle I believe? Ah... No mind. Let's get started."

He looks mildly uncomfortable. When next he speaks, he speaks rather softly.

"I'm Colonel Jorgan of the Morienn Army. Heavy Infantry Division. I'm not entirely sure of your backgrounds, but from what I've heard, you've all got your reasons to be here. How about we all introduce ourselves? That might be the best way to get acquainted."

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGirl

Havleig Sturlusdottir

Conditions: Raging

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight Check on Jorgan, who seems shifty.
    (1d20+3)[5]

"I'm Hallveig," says Hallveig. "I used to be a barkeep. Like a real brewster, not a jumped-up thug." She glances at the innkeeper of the Chicken Coop.

"My bar burned down, and now I'm a... sweeper. I sweep." She drums her fingers on her unusually thick and heavy 'broom.'

"I know most of these folks from before." She nods at Kerykes. "Cousin."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

Kerykes takes his unsipped wine and his coffee with him to the new table. As he passes, he notes the bartender and puts him down as a possible threat. Kerykes did not get a chance to talk to his friends before he sits, but he is not here for a casual time.
    With a slightly sardonic, bemused half smile he looks at Lorem and his Cousin Hallveigg. They certainly do not need the introduction.

"Since we are being candid and open, I am Kerykes Diophantus, a Lightbringer and a veteran of the Battle of the Wall. I aim to keep the hope alive in this dark times, and bring back the Light in this city."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lorem Ipsum
    Human Shadow Monk
    AC: 16 HP: 24/24
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 13

"I'm Lorem." He shows some of the scars on his knuckles. "I can fight pretty well, and I'm pretty light on my feet. I'm game for whatever needs to be done, as long as we don't take on a bunch of jobs near where my family and I live. I'd rather sneak off and sneak back so there's no connection."

Dropping his voice to casually quiet. "Speaking of staying un-dead, are those two by the door yours? They seem to be paying more attention to us than their drinks."
    Campaign Logs:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Shavriel nodded smiling, "Good to see you again Kerykes, especially here." She nodded acknowledging the others and Jorgan, " I am Shavriel Rolga of the Golden Tree, a small community of scholars not far from here. Like all of you I've come to help however I can."

She smiled again then casually glanced around the tavern again to see who was watching.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a soft creak as the door slipped open. Quietly, a short woman entered, her footfalls light. She was clad in rather ordinary, practical clothes - corset and white shirt, a side-slit skirt and breeches, a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun off. She was pale - very pale, like all the colour had been leeched out of her, except her eyes were a fierce and nearly luminous red. Her hair was long, moon-white, and was drawn into two buns and hung in two long braids.

She carried no weapons, only a small, simple knife, as any one might carry. A small viol case was slung casually over a shoulder.

Nettle glanced around the tavern with a smooth gaze before she settled it on the group. She smiled - a easy, warm thing, and headed over, sliding into a seat.

"I'm not too late for the first round, am I?"
    she said lightly. Nettle's voice was soft, a little husky, as if she hadn't spoken for a while. "Nettle. Of the Crimsonwood clan. What's left of it."
    As if unaware, a hand touched her chest, where the terrible scar of her impalement lurked. A week since the end of her world. Just a week. She forced up another easy smile.
    "What do you need, mister Jurgan? The Crimsonwood always gave a fair price. Give."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hallveig insight check:
    Spoiler
    Show

This Jorgan guy seems on the level.

Jorgan listens as you each take your turn to speak.

"Fools! You just believed me? I could be literally anybody." He laughs after a somewhat awkward pause. "Look, I'm a soldier, not a spy. It's a lot to take in. Look, see here." He offers Shavriel a silver insignia.

History skill check:
    Lorem Ipsum (1d20)[17]
    Hallveig Sturlusdottir (1d20+1)[11]
    Nettle Crimsonwood (1d20)[3]
    Kerykes Diophantus (1d20+1)[3]
    Shavriel Rolga (1d20+6)[9]

history check:
    2 or better
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a silver coin. Looks like it has some stuff on it.

5 or better
    Spoiler
    Show

The silver insignia is circular, shaped like a large silver coin. It has the same symbol as the Morienn flag.

10 or better
    Spoiler
    Show

The insignia bears the crest of the Royal Family of Morienn, with a small line beneath

15 or better
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize the small line as a sword, indicating the rank of a junior commander.

While you examine his credentials, Jorgan turns to Lorem. "You've got a good eye. Or perhaps my bodyguards aren't as subtle as they should be." He gives an angry glare towards the men sitting at the table by the door. The bartender snorts a quick laugh. The two men don't seem to notice.

"All this sneaking around stuff... It's not really my thing. Give me an enemy to fight, that's always been my motto. I think that actually might be why we're all here. So let me get a few things straight from the get go - we're not heroes. We're not here to fight the good fight. " He turns to Nettle. "I think some people more than others may have reason to be here. Tell me, Nettle - would you really demand payment to slit a few Kalo throats? Or you, Hallveig - to maybe set a few fires?"

He turns his attention to the others. "But you're not officially part of the Morienn Army. I can't force anyone to do anything. For the moment, you're all technically civilians. This insignia gives me the authority to act in my best interest to serve the King, and if you're willing, I'd like you to think of this a a recruitment opportunity."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

When Nettle comes in, Kerykes pushes his untouched wine at her with a welcome node. The next that she is alive still startles him.

Kerykes takes the coin but it does not mean much to him. Today he is not in top form, apparently . He even missed the bodyguards, and he is usually good at perceiving things.

After the awkward pause, Kerykes says in a clear, but soft voice.

"You may be anyone, Mr. Jorgan, but we are not. We know each other around this table. I believe it would take more than two guards to deal with the people in this group. So it is a good thing we are all who we say we are.

And yet. We are here for this fight. It may even be the good fight after all, because it is not always motel mortal hands who decide these things. State your terms. "

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGirl

Havleig Sturlusdottir

Hallveig doesn't look particularly amused by Jorgan's 'joke.' She hasn't admitted to being anything but a sweeper. "No one but you has mentioned payment, friend." There's nothing friendly about a dwarf who calls you 'friend.'

"Or Kalos, for that matter."

15. - Top - End - #15

Jorgan frowns.
    “Ah. I suppose that was unprofessional of me. I shouldn’t have expected civilians to just volunteer to risk their lives for nothing. So… we need to play the mercenary game, do we? Well let me say that the Morienn Army takes care of its members. If you’re willing to sign on, due to the nature of the work, the jobs pay very well. We can certainly negotiate a salary, whether you’d prefer something more “by the job” or “by the day” … we’re willing to pay. Gold, enchantments, services… what is your price?”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

Kerykes remains silent. The 'mercenary game' means little to him, but he understands that the other people around the table might feel different. It will be better to wait and see.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Nettle smiled easily, regarding the man. She took a sip of the wine, hiding her reaction; it all tasted like ash, now.
    "I wouldn't have come if my contact hadn't vouched for the meeting, soldier. Besides, one of us could be lying too, or magically disguised, or mind-controlled."
    She grinned. Her canines were very sharp.
    "Some of these things require a certain level of risk. "

She took another sip.
    "We'd need money and supplies to do much meaningful, anyway. Money makes the world go round. For me in particular, though... anything that helps kill the Shrike and his company. That's what I want from you."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Nodding in agreement Shavriel added, "Nettle is correct: we do need funds for supplies primarily. Perhaps .... thirty to fifty gold?" She looked at the others quizzically hoping for input. Shavriel knew she had some gear but who knows what they would need for this mission? That seemed a question best answered by those experienced in this kind of thing.

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGirl

Havleig Sturlusdottir

"Aye, supplies are the thing. Gold won't stop an arrow," says Hallveig. "And the sort of things we need you might already have around, more handy than gold to buy them new."

20. - Top - End - #20

For Shavriel only
    Spoiler
    Show

You receive a telepathic communication from your raven familiar keeping an eye outside the tavern.
    It appears what was once a single man hammering at a piece of wood has became a decently sized group of six men, all gathered and talking quietly. The tools have been discarded and the men wield weapons, along with repeated pointing towards the tavern.

Jorgan offers a smile and a nod towards Shavriel.
    “Done.”
    The huge fellow offers a satchel bulging with weight to the mage.
    “Consider this a retainer for your services.”

He turns his attention to Halveig.
    “Ah. Practical.”
    From a pouch, he offers Halveig a small potion filled with red liquid.
    “To cure what ails you.”

To the others, Jorgan continues.
    “I’m afraid I didn’t bring gifts for all. I wasn’t entirely sure how well our meeting would go over. I am authorized to offer credit towards the Morienn Quatermaster in the amount of 50 gold to anyone else interested. The gold I offer is more of a token of good-will.”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

"I believe we will have more specific ideas on what we would need in the future. I for one am ready to hear your specific proposition, Jorgan. This undercover thing is not something I know well. What would you have a hypothetical - this accompanied with a nod to Cousin Havleig- team? Please give specific examples. This way, we can answer better what sort of equipment we could need"

22. - Top - End - #22

Jorgan muses for a moment.
    “Yes Isuppose that’s fair. Alright something relatively simple. Not too much violence… give everyone a taste of what we need…”
    The large men stares up at the ceiling in thought. He then pulls a parchment from a scroll case and unfurls it on the table. On it you recognize a crude drawing of the city of Corsand. There are no words, the streets are lines and the buildings are simple squares.
    “We’ve recently learned there’s a warehouse here, near High Street.”
    Jorgan touches a point on the map with a hefty finger.

Kerykes only
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize the location and can picture the building in your mind. You’ve walked past it dozens of times. Nothing about it really stood out as special - sure it had the odd guard outside, but it didn’t seem worth much more notice. You know exactly where the building is.

(Ooc - you would all know of High Street and “roughly” where this building is, so no need to roll anything for knowledge or trying to locate it.)

“This warehouse is full of supplies - refined wooden planks mostly, that are destined to repair and reinforce the walls. The Morienn Army is quite keen on keeping those walls damaged. I’d like you to make these supplies… disappear.” He offers you all a mischievous smile.

“Obviously there will be some guards, but this isn’t a bank or an armoury, so resistance should be minimal. You could probably do this without bloodshed at all, if you really wanted to. Then again, they’re Kalo soldiers, so if you kill them, they won’t terribly be missed. The specific details of what and how you do it aren’t really important, so I’ll leave that to your discretion. Any questions?”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lorem

"Are we supposed to do without attracting attention and making it obvious? Or is the point to do it as a blatant act of resistance?"
    Campaign Logs:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

"I think, Lorem, that this is up to us.

And in fact, I know this place. I have passed it a thousand times. I think this is something we can do. If we are all agreed."

Kerykes looks around the table.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Mentally keying on her familiar's notification, Shavriel looked at the door then back at the others, "It seems a hostile group is forming outside this space. Men with weapons. Jorgan were you expecting anyone? Regardless I think we all should be prepared for confrontation."

Sliding a hand into her hip pouch Shavriel produced a few semi-wilted wine rose petals cradled in her palm.

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGirl

Hallveig Sturlusdottir

Hallveig is putting the potion away in her pack and considering the mission when Shavriel speaks. Her expression turns dark and she looks around the group.

"What I'm about to do may shock you," she warns, deadpan. She rips away the straw from the head of her 'broom', revealing... a two-handed axe. "I might have lied about being a cleaner."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kerykes

Kerykes frowns at the news.

"Should we stay or try and leave? If we are to undertake a secret raid, perhaps we should not get into public fights.

Shavriel, since you seem to have eyes outside: Are we surrounded? Can we leave from the back door or something similar?"

As he talks, Kerykes casually unpacks his shield.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Shavriel called out to her familiar mentally, "Trief, go airborne and check the back of the tavern for any other people quickly!" Then she told Kerykes and the others, "Six armed men out front. Give me a moment to scout the back. Jorgan is there a back door?".

29. - Top - End - #29

Shavriel only
    Spoiler
    Show

Your faithful familiar flutters into the air and reports back a few moments later.
    “Looks clear - nothing blatantly aggressive or dangerous.”

Jorgan frowns.

“One of us was followed then, don’t know who.” He nods to the two men sitting near the front door. At the signal, the two men bolt, dashing outside and away.

“They’ll lead some of them on a goose chase. Should make our job a bit easier. We’ve got a back door through the kitchen, but I can’t vouch for what’s waiting for us.”

He stands and motions to the barkeep, who’s pulled a heavy mace from behind the bar.
    “This place is compromised. I don’t recommend fighting - the Kalo will undoubtedly have called for more men. Once we get out of here, split up and meet me at The Wandering Stranger when the deed is done.”

Both the barkeep and Jorgan begin moving towards the kitchen.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm startled," Nettle grinned at the unveiling of the axe. "But yeah - let's clear off for now."