New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Thoughts on Starfinder?

If you are looking at star wars stuff, I have to recommend d6 Star Wars. (REUP version is the most recent). It's, overall, a very basic system with depth of customizability. It really is the best for running games in the star wars universe.

If they want something more on a personal scale, I recommend Traveller. If I were to describe the vibes It's kind of like Firefly, traveling from world to world doing general heroics while trying to turn a profit and being the big damn heroes.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2024-02-29 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on Starfinder?

if they like star wars, and donīt like dnd, you could give Scum and Villainy a try. It does, in my opinion, Star Wars kind of shenanigans/storylines better than any of the licensed star wars rpgs. Thereīs plenty of people reviewing the game on youtuve to give you an idea, and the discord community of blades in the dark has a Scum and Villainy dedicated section.

Is a game built as a hack of blades in the dark, a far cry from dnd style games. Quicker conflict resolution, no separate system for combat, more player agency. As a GM you are expected to react more and prepare less.

And about Starfinder: if you enjoy Pathfinder-style game, is fine. It does require overspecializing, as some other mentioned already upthread. Worse offender of this in our games: the KAC+8 as the baseline for combat maneuvers. Means no trying fun stuff in combat except trading blows to deplete hp, unless you have invested every single character resource in a specific maneuver.
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC