In case you've never seen it, the old game Pool of Radiance had a cypher wheel included as a basic form of copyright protection. It would have you match up 2 different characters then follow a specific pattern of dots that you'd have to input as a code to get through a door or something. (Better than other games which required you to write the 4th word of the 3rd paragraph on page 38 of the manual.)
http://www.oldgames.sk/codewheel/pool-of-radiance

The game just had people follow a spiral in, but if you draw on the top disc, you can tell them "Taking the warriors path, follow the yellow brick road" with a meandering yellow path on it, along with some blue rivers and stuff. While "warrior" indicates the outer ring which has a Futhark rune for Warrior (Tiwaz). Match the end of the yellow line up with Warrior and then follow the instructions.

I love the idea of that as a puzzle the players have to figure out, and decided to make one. You could use it in a dungeon to tell players to go Left, Straight, 2nd door on the right, etc. Or as a set of directions in the wilderness from landmark to landmark. Hence my title from City Slickers 2.

But I'm stumped on coming up with landmark descriptions and would like help coming up with a few (A lot) of landmarks.

1. Over the buffalo's back.
2. Across the eagle's wing.
3. Into the dragons maw.
4. Under the frozen people.
5. Door lit by first rays of dawn. (Like in The Mummy)