New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

furious OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Absolutely brutal, loving this fight honestly.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I love Sunny! So earnest.

Haley looks stressed. I'm guessing Minrah in full armor weighs a good bit more than either Elan or Bandana.

Thanks, Rich!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2024-03-11 at 07:17 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Feels like this fight might be basically over

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I wonder if Sunny learned how to do that from Haley. It’s certainly an inversion: the one whose mind control gets broken has become the mind control breaker, more or less

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Airinyourtires View Post
    I wonder if Sunny learned how to do that from Haley. It’s certainly an inversion: the one whose mind control gets broken has become the mind control breaker, more or less
    "...and what's a gllrtkyt? I need to do what you say in the order you say it, after all, and I can't close my gllrtkyt unless I know what it is."
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2024-03-11 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

7. - Top - End - #7

DrowGuy

Looks like Bloodfeast won the grapple, and the sword didn't stab him.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    If it wasn't RPG rules it would be, you don't come back from a neck bite like that. His only hope would be to somehow get a domination off despite the AMF onto a cleric and get healed.

Still, I suspect that Calder will live through this somehow. Simply killing him would feel....off, given how well characterized he already has become in just 5 pages.
    Last edited by Provengreil; 2024-03-11 at 07:29 AM.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Continuing to love this fight! I'm thinking Calder just wants to escape at this point, though, which would be very bad for Team Good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can't break the grapple. Can't cast spells while in an AMF. Apparently can't breath fire at the moment either.

What options does the dragon have at this point? The fight's pretty much over if it can't get free.
    Last edited by ellindsey; 2024-03-11 at 07:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    Still, I suspect that Calder will live through this somehow. Simply killing him would feel....off, given how well characterized he already has become in just 5 pages.
    I'd agree though it is possible that Team Evil find the corpse and reanimate and serves a narrative function that way.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

He managed to open Bloodfeast's mouth so he's not getting beheaded right now, at least.

I think the stage is set for Calder to submit again, but this time the Order will negotiate something that's less "eternal slavery" and more "look, the world is about to end, please help us". Red dragons are lawful evil, correct? So he should abide to the agreement.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Alternately, the fall seems to have cracked the ground around the containment circle, so if Calder can get free, he might be able to flee back out of the dungeon. Running into Team Evil to complicate things more?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, suck on it Calder! The fight's probably not over yet but I don't expect that to be too far off now.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once again, Belkar demonstrates that he cares about his little friends - although I'm not sure Bloodfeast the Extreminator counts as little at this moment.

Haley + Minrah disenchant Sunny, who is very upset at the mean dragon who yelled at Mom. Even when participating in a brutal beat-down, Sunny is a charming child.

Nice little vignette of V deciding they do not want to be anywhere near the Allosaurus chewing on the dragon's neck. I'd say that's a decision showing both wisdom and intelligence.

EDIT: Red Dragons are Chaotic Evil by canon, but this one did try to set up a cult, so might be Lawful. However, "interested in domination of others" and "abides by agreements with others" are not at all the same.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2024-03-11 at 07:50 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    He managed to open Bloodfeast's mouth so he's not getting beheaded right now, at least.

I think the stage is set for Calder to submit again, but this time the Order will negotiate something that's less "eternal slavery" and more "look, the world is about to end, please help us". Red dragons are lawful evil, correct? So he should abide to the agreement.
    A rational course, but I don't see it. The stasis misfire has likely made him unwilling in all cases to work with Serini or even support her goals under any circumstances.

I figure he negotiates an escape, runs into Team Evil, and ends up helping them a bit just to spite her. Probably indirectly, no one's going to heal him and he won't risk further confrontation at that point.

Completely unrelated to that reply, can I just call attention to how Bloodfeast's little look of satisfied determination in the last strip was well rewarded?
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Red dragons are lawful evil, correct? So he should abide to the agreement.
    RAW they are "always chaotic evil", I'm afraid. Although OOTS has of course always tended to bend/reinterpret/parodize or outright ignore the extremely stiff alignment restrictions of the source material.
    Last edited by Robster; 2024-03-11 at 07:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly - I think it's more likely that the Order just kills him. Roy and Durkon are LG but they aren't paladins, and I doubt Calder'd be very eager to surrender considering what the last one did to him. At this point it might even be the more moral option, not just practical.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Belkar + Animals = South of Neutral confirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Robster View Post
    RAW they are "always chaotic evil", I'm afraid. Although OOTS has of course always tended to bend/reinterpret/parodize or outright ignore the extremely stiff alignment restrictions of the source material.
    Ah, thanks. And yes, I agree... one of the main thrusts of the comic is "you are what you do, not what a book says you are/what you think you are".

And I don't know, Serini has been conspicuously absent during the battle, and Roy did want to make a deal before the fight. Calder is probably very intelligent and might be able to tell they're not Serini's longtime allies. A deal might still be on the table after the submission. It does seem more in character than just killing him (especially now that he can barely defend himself).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

cool Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

The action sequence is very cool, really digging the art right now, perfect mix for detailed enemies and characters, and is still a stick comic parody. WIN WIN.

So, what can do the mean dragon to win?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Honestly - I think it's more likely that the Order just kills him. Roy and Durkon are LG but they aren't paladins, and I doubt Calder'd be very eager to surrender considering what the last one did to him. At this point it might even be the more moral option, not just practical.
    They'll kill Calder, this guy is (for once) a clear case of Evil without any gray areas.

What *might* come into play is when the topic turns to "should we disintegrate the body, so Xykon can't zombify this thing or leave it", and Vaarsuvius might have some reservations about disintegrating the dragon due to history with the black dragons. But then again, Sunny can just use Number Eight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I love Sunny! So earnest.

Haley looks stressed. I'm guessing Minrah in full armor weighs a good bit more than either Elan or Bandana.

Thanks, Rich!
    Well, while the armor wouldn't be THAT much more than the Leather armor Bandana wears, from what I remember, Dwarves despite being shorter than humans are stocky and dense so they still weigh about as much as Humans.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

1. Great actions sequence.
    2. Minrah: what spell is she casting?
    3. Sunny: I think Minrah's spell worked.
    4. Haley: yes, Minrah is heavy.
    5. Bloodfeast: yes!
    6. Not sure what strip number 1300 will have in store, but those of you who are thinking "subdual a second time" got me thinking.
    Is dragon subdual even a thing in 3.x?
    7. The cracks in the floor: does that have an impact on the stasis circles?

Great strip.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

cool Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Famous last words?

I did have a question whether or not Bloodfeast chomping on Calder's neck would prevent the dragon's fire-breathing ability from functioning.

The only RPG's I've ever played were Wizardry I (PC), Legends (TI-99/4a), Tunnels of Doom (TI-99/4a), and Kingdom of Loathing (online), so I'm not very good with D&D mechanics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

1. Great actions sequence.
    2. Minrah: what spell is she casting? Protection from Evil?
    3. Sunny: I think Minrah's spell worked.
    4. Haley: yes, Minrah is heavy.
    5. Bloodfeast: yes!
    6. Not sure what strip number 1300 will have in store, but those of you who are thinking "subdual a second time" got me thinking.
    Is dragon subdual even a thing in 3.x?
    7. The cracks in the floor: does that have an impact on the stasis circles?
    8. Besides not seeing much of Serini, where are the Paladins?

Great strip.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

confused Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Hey Giant, looks like Calder has the wrong horn broken in this one.

- From, a lurker who made an account to post this

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It's surprising that Calder is now losing because of what he told Sunny to do earlier and guess his plan isn't as great as he originally thought.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    It's surprising that Calder is now losing because of what he told Sunny to do earlier and guess his plan isn't as great as he originally thought.
    To be fair, “polymorphed Allosaurus” isn’t exactly that high up on the priority list most of the time.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    Can't break the grapple. Can't cast spells while in an AMF. Apparently can't breath fire at the moment either.

What options does the dragon have at this point? The fight's pretty much over if it can't get free.
    Bite, claw, claw, tail slam, wing smash, wing smash till there's no dino holding him down. Dragons should avoid melee at all costs, because they've got no good reason to give their foes a chance, but they're still blenders in melee, converting foes to puree with half a dozen high damage attacks a round.

Remember that the party's damage is down substantially due to anti-magic. Serini as a an epic rogue vs. a grappled foe is probably the only one who can do really high damage now.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Psepha View Post
    ...what does that mean?
    It means the Order would rather have Haley fly past a dragon and pick up a junior apprentice than ask the member of the team who can cast Greater Dispel Magic to do so.