New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Purposefully making the worst build I can in PF1e

Okay, I don't know where I got this idea, but it sounds funny. But, here we go:

Class: Monk, because monks are traditionally bad.
    Race: Kobold, for the STR and CON penalty and the Small size. Now, we're going to dump INT so that we can't learn any other languages other than Draconic. Here are our stats:
    STR 3 / DEX 9 / CON 5 / INT 7 / WIS 7 / CHA 7
    -24 point buy was what we used, but dang Kobold stat increases! Still, we have bad CON, so it's fine.
    What we look like:
    Level 1:
    One skill point (to go towards Perform).
    No languages (other than Draconic)
    TERRIBLE AC. (10-1-2+1=8)
    Barely any movement (from smol)
    30 GP to spend on: Temple sword 'cause we aren't proficient with them.

I have now made truly the worst level 1 build in the history of PF 1e. Please, someone, make a better one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Purposefully making the worst build I can in PF1e

A caster that doesn't have a high enough ability score to cast spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    I have now made truly the worst level 1 build in the history of PF 1e. Please, someone, make a better one.
    Make them a wizard (object arcane bond), duh. Can't cast spells and even less HP or proficiencies.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A kinny, with... let's see what's the worst element here, Water or Wood probably.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oozemorph shifter level 1.
    /Thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If your Strength score goes down to zero, you're unable to move and perpetually unconscious. It's not hard to go that low with aging penalties.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, I don't know where I got this idea, but it sounds funny. But, here we go:

Class: Monk, because monks are traditionally bad.
    Race: Kobold, for the STR and CON penalty and the Small size. Now, we're going to dump INT so that we can't learn any other languages other than Draconic. Here are our stats:
    STR 3 / DEX 9 / CON 5 / INT 7 / WIS 7 / CHA 7
    -24 point buy was what we used, but dang Kobold stat increases! Still, we have bad CON, so it's fine.
    What we look like:
    Level 1:
    One skill point (to go towards Perform).
    No languages (other than Draconic)
    TERRIBLE AC. (10-1-2+1=8)
    Barely any movement (from smol)
    30 GP to spend on: Temple sword 'cause we aren't proficient with them.

I don't think that you're calculating AC correctly. The Monk text says "the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any)" and if we compare that to the text on Longbow, for example, "If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when you use a longbow. You can apply your Strength modifier to damage rolls when you use a composite longbow, but not a regular longbow."

If it says "A Monk adds his Wisdom Modifier" then I'd agree that yes, your calculations were fine, but from a straight reading of the text, you only get your wisdom modifier to AC if it's positive.

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

If you're using a -24 point buy, you might as well allow "I'm going to start with this character having been hit with feeblemind and a couple of curses that they can't afford to pay a cleric to remove"

(and since you only took monk because you thought you'd get -2 AC from wisdom, you'd probably be worse off going commoner)
    Last edited by Baroncognito; 2024-03-14 at 05:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Make them a wizard (object arcane bond), duh. Can't cast spells and even less HP or proficiencies.
    Oh yeah. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    A kinny, with... let's see what's the worst element here, Water or Wood probably.
    Not surprised that Wood is the worst... I didn't consider it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Oozemorph shifter level 1.
    /Thread
    Didn't understand a word of that but it sounded bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    If your Strength score goes down to zero, you're unable to move and perpetually unconscious. It's not hard to go that low with aging penalties.
    Ooh la la! This sounds fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroncognito View Post
    I don't think that you're calculating AC correctly. The Monk text says "the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any)" and if we compare that to the text on Longbow, for example, "If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when you use a longbow. You can apply your Strength modifier to damage rolls when you use a composite longbow, but not a regular longbow."

If it says "A Monk adds his Wisdom Modifier" then I'd agree that yes, your calculations were fine, but from a straight reading of the text, you only get your wisdom modifier to AC if it's positive.
    I screwed up.

If you're using a -24 point buy, you might as well allow "I'm going to start with this character having been hit with feeblemind and a couple of curses that they can't afford to pay a cleric to remove"

(and since you only took monk because you thought you'd get -2 AC from wisdom, you'd probably be worse off going commoner)
    Ow.

Welp, looks like I did it very badly.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

The Oozemorph shifter sounds kind of interesting. I'd give it a try if I were in a party large enough that all the vital roles had already been covered. Basically, at level 1, you kind of become an ooze, and you can turn back to your non-ooze form for one hour per day.

The bad part is, while you're in ooze form, you have no magic item slots and can't use any magic item that needs to be activated, held, or worn. You also can't speak, use armour, or manufactured weapons. You can probably drink potions just fine though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The Oozemorph shifter sounds kind of interesting. I'd give it a try if I were in a party large enough that all the vital roles had already been covered. Basically, at level 1, you kind of become an ooze, and you can turn back to your non-ooze form for one hour per day.

The bad part is, while you're in ooze form, you have no magic item slots and can't use any magic item that needs to be activated, held, or worn. You also can't speak, use armour, or manufactured weapons. You can probably drink potions just fine though.
    So, is the Oozemorph shifter a prestige class or archetype? Because I look at the Class list on the Archives of Nethys, but I can't see it anywhere.

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

So, is the Oozemorph shifter a prestige class or archetype? Because I look at the Class list on the Archives of Nethys, but I can't see it anywhere.
    It's an archetype of shifter.

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

Let's do this with some constraints: what is the worst character you can come up with when you have a 15 point buy and you have to use all the points? meaning 0 points left over.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

14. - Top - End - #14

If you make it to 2nd level, pick a class with a +0 BAB, and keep doing that for each level after that. You’ll end up with no attack bonus but hilariously great saves. You’ll be the character who shows up, is inept, somehow survives, and just continues to fail upwards.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Let's do this with some constraints: what is the worst character you can come up with when you have a 15 point buy and you have to use all the points? meaning 0 points left over.
    Invest into WIS and CHA, dump INT and CON, become Wizard, I would presume. Take a race with a negative INT modifier.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I know a good one. Oracle with the Site-Bound curse is effectively restrained to a single pretty small location, forever. If you want, you can even stick a single level of this onto any other "worst" build to make it even worse.

Vigilante with the Brute archetype, as well as the Antipaladin, are also hilariously detrimental to any party they're in. And then there's the Monk with Vow of Poverty, which is one of the worst deals for your character in the game.

So, let's go with Oracle 1 / Vigilante 1 / Antipally 1 / Oozemorph 1 / Monk 1 / Kinny 15. That's the most restrictions I can think of to tack onto the worst class in the game.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-03-18 at 05:49 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!