New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Activating spell effects while raging

Some spells have an effect that can be activated after the spell is cast. I didn't find a name for this kind of effect, so I'll call it "spell reactivation" until someone corrects me (please do). For example:
    - Bigby's Clenched Fist (PH, p.203). Caster uses a move action to change the Hand's target.
    - Investiture of the Orthon (FCII, p.104). Subject can use an immediate action to use the effect of the spell Dimensional Lock (PH, p.221) for 1 round, around them.
    - Crown of Clarity/Grave/Might/Protection/Smiting (PH2, p. 107-108). Subject can use an immediate action to discharge the spell and gain a better bonus for 1 round.
    - Animal Shape (PH, p.198). Subject can use full-round action to retransform into their original body.

And about what one can't do in a Rage, it says in the PH, p.25:
    While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.
    As I understand it, "spell reactivation" falls in neither a spell casting, a magic item activation or any kind of feat. So RAW allows a raging character to use "spell reactivation", especially in the case of immediate actions (because of the part "any abiliies that require patience or concentration"). But even full-round actions have to happen in at most 6 seconds so I'd argue that any spell reactivation using move, standard or swift action can definitely be used while raging.

My DM is against it because raging is not thematically aligned with doing spell reactivation, but we decided to ask forums anyway in case there was a specific ruling we're unaware of for this case.

So if a character is under the effect of both a spell with a spell reactivation and a rage, should they be allowed to use the spell reactivation?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Activating spell effects while raging

It's called redirecting a spell. It's mentioned in the combat chapter as a move action, under aiming a spell in the spells chapter, and it's in the glossary. It does not provoke AoOs nor requires concentration. Thus it is fully usable while under a rage.

If your DM doesn't like that, it's their prerogative, but it is not the rule as written.

As for spell effects that aren't redirecting but require actions to use beyond just casting the spell, if it isn't casting a spell nor requires concentration it is usable in a rage.
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-03-19 at 05:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you very much!

In the end my DM approved since redirecting spells already exist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

RAW, it's definitely allowed.

RAI, I'd handle it on a case-by-case basis. But I'd certainly allow it in at least some cases.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics