New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Dragon Isles(IC)

"Had I a ghoul, I'd know just what to feed it," Tulek laughs of Tails and Claw, "Though, from what the wenches told me, Claw wasn't exactly 'filling'," he adds with another chuckle, putting a typical pirate punch-line to the morbid joke. "Ah'll give her a bloodless rite," he says, more somberly, of the captain. "Unless yeh think she'd prefer a seaman's buriel," he says with a nod to the cleric of nature. He says nothing of the prayers, not wanting to make a promise he's not sure his god would fulfil. If pressed, he'll mutter something akin to "I'll do what I can."

2. - Top - End - #212

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk toasts next to Ulfgar and thumps the dwarf across the shoulders once he finished his flagon. He leans in slightly and chuckles.

"Even though we started it I be thinkin' that neither o' us be makin' a good captain, we be the fighters here, not the leaders. Good thing it worked out, eh?"
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-01-23 at 10:51 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #213

"Aye. I'm not much for leading the living, meself," Tulek agrees, raising his own toast. "Here's to Grish, for taking a job I sure to the hells wouldn't want."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Ay, Thunk. Give me somethin' t' hit an' I be happy. Hopefully Grish be doin' us good as cap'n." Ulfgar finishes off his flagon, and pours himself another. It will be a long and drunken night.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marcus

"Excelent speach cap'n Grish. On any other night I'd drink to that." Laughs Marcus. With that, he'll start eating whatever is being served, smiling slightly when he hears the others' comments on how they wouldn't want to be in charge. Philippe, meanwhile, will fly up to the deck to look at the sea.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

6. - Top - End - #216

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos helps with the cleaning and enjoys the celebration of the new captain. "I'm just glad to get out of any fight alive when I can't draw my bow. Feel much better with it in my hand. And I sure as hell no I'd be a poor captain myself." Still hesitant about drinking anything this night though, Karos obstains for the time being.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #217
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Captain Grish

After letting the crew eat and drink their fill, it was time to get down to business.

"The elf, you, and you," he points to Karos, Thunk Chunk, and Tulek, respectively, "come with me -- we'll go through the cap'n's cabin. You lot," here he singles out Tennin, Marcus, and Ulfgar, "take charge of going through the first mate's cabin and Tails' things. The whole crew meet up on deck in fifteen minutes... for choosin' officers and splitting up the booty."

He heads off for the upper deck.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

At the request to meet to divy up the booty, several crew members call out hoots and raise their mugs to the new captain, Willis even says, "Aiy aiy Cap'n"
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

9. - Top - End - #219

"If I may, Cap'n, I never did finish cleaning Mr. Dorian's cabin," Tulek points out. "Got a bit busy after they threw me the key an' all," he says, referring to his surprising entrance in to the fight. "Should I be seein' to it before or after the former Captain's?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Grish, Karos, Thunk Chunk, and Tulek head up to the captain's cabin. Upon opening the door, a massive spray of flame shoots forth striking each of them. Once the smoke clears, you find the captain's quarter's quite nice. She has a large soft feather bed, with silk sheets and fuzzy blankets. On her desk is a navigation chart showing the area and a lockbox, which sits open(see OOC thread).

Trap :
    Spoiler
    Show

Grish, Karos, Thunk Chunk, and Tulek
    "Burning Hands Trap" - (5d4)[3][2][4][2][1](12) Reflex Save DC 12 for 1/2 damage

Tulek, having caught the show, decides to head over and recover Dorian's loot, while the other three set off the rest of the captain's traps. Using the key provide, he is able to recover all of Dorian's gear and add it to the pile.

The explosion at the Captain's door occurred just before Tennin, Marcus, and Ulfgar touched Claw or Tails' doors.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

11. - Top - End - #221

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15]

Tulek's moment of delay as he asks the captain his question places him a step behind the rest, and thus gives him the precious extra split second to pull himself back as much as possible, though he doesn't have time to jump away from the flames entirely, and save himself the worst of the burns.
    Last edited by VeisuItaTyhjyys; 2008-01-24 at 07:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

Thunk Chunk

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Save - (1d20+6)[15]

Thunk Chunk lumbers up to the cabin door with the others and manages to jerk aside as the spray of flame flashes over them. Cursing, he smacks the flames off of his cloak and hair before punching the doorframe.

"Damn traps, that be no way to greet the new captain!" he yells into the room before grinning at Grish.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-01-24 at 09:10 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Captain Grish

Spoiler
    Show

ReflexSave - (1d20+6)[11] vs. DC 12, Evasion for no damage if save succeeds
    Fail, take 12 damage, down to 5 HP

Grish almost senses danger in time, but still manages to get caught by the trap.

"Damn me!"

Spoiler
    Show

Take 20 to search (+4) for additional traps: 24
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-01-24 at 10:14 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

14. - Top - End - #224

Marcus

Hearing the explosion from above, the first thing to cross Marcus's mind is that Tulek had better not have gotten into his footlocker, and the second is that Tulek would have deserved what had happenned if he did. However, after thinking about this, he considders that there may have been a different reason for the noise which didn't involve another member of the crew trying to rob him, and decides he'll ask about it once he's seen the contents of the first mate's room, which he attempts to open the door of.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-01-24 at 10:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

"You all right, Captain Grish?" Tulek asks when he sees the half-orc was not so lucky as he.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar goes with the others to check out the Claw and Tail's rooms. Hearing the explosion, he hesitates for a second. "Ar! What do you think that be gentlemen?"

17. - Top - End - #227

Captain Grish

"Do I look all right to you? Damn traps... let's be just a bit more careful here," he adds while continuing to look for additional traps.

If the cabin is free from additional surprises, Grish will work with the others to move all of the the former captain's gear, excepting the charts and the items in the lockbox, to the pile of booty.

"You two," he says, looking at Karos and Thunk Chunk, "seem to know your ways around a ship. I was thinking of making eagle-eye here," he says, referring to Karos, "the new sailing master, would you like that, elfie? Thunk Chunk, how'd you like to be me bo'sun, and take care of matters on deck?"

"As for you," he turns to Tulek, "are you good with numbers and such? If so, I figure you'll make a fine quartermaster. For now, go fetch the other priest -- the one who knows how to heal -- to patch me up some. And then..." he adds, suddenly remembering Tulek's original question, "I had forgotten you still had another job to do. Fetch me the priest and then grab someone to help you."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Grish

No more traps were found, but when Grish attempted to open the drawer on the desk he was greeted with a trap that he had obviously missed. A small needle fires out stabbing him in the hand. The drawer contains 4 changes of clothes and a small jar of boot polish.

Grish Poison Needle Trap :
    Spoiler
    Show

Initial : Fortitude Save DC 15 ("Dex Damage" - (1d6)[6])
    Secondary(in a minute) : Fortitude Save DC 15 ("Dex Damage" - (2d6)[7])

Tennin, Ulfgar and Marcus

Marcus reaches out and opens the door to Claw's quarters. Inside, they find several changes of cloths and in his foot locker, he had 4 bottles of expensive wine. He also has a magical wand, made of white wood or ivory.

When Marcus opens Tails' door, a greenish bolt streaks out striking him. Inside the room they find a collection of whips hanging on hooks on the wall. It also has several sets of chains and manacles hanging from hooks in the ceiling and walls.

In the corner is a backpack, bedroll, 3 changes of cloths, 50' of rope, 3 black candles, flint and steel, and a solid gold holy symbol of Wee Jas. Folded neatly on top of the backpack are 5 changes of clothes.

Marcus Acid Arrow :
    Spoiler
    Show

Round 1 : "Acid Damage" - (2d4)[8]
    Round 2 : "Acid Damage" - (2d4)[4]

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Guessin' we oughta be lookin for traps 'for we go in these places, eh Marcus? Ha ha!!! Wow! This guy be doin some weird stuff in here. Glad he never invited me to his room, but then again who would want a beardless dwarf anyway? Ha ha!!!

Ulfgar looks around with interest at the many whips and chains that Tails had in his room. He also looks for anything they might have missed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 Search: +1 = 21

20. - Top - End - #230

Marcus

Cringing from the painful bolt of acid, Marcus looks inside the room with a bit more caution than before. "From what I heard, an' what I'm seeing now, Tails was as kind as his blood was red. I should have expected something like this from him." notes Marcus before he leaves to tell Captain Grish about the contents of the two rooms. When he sees Grish injured and slightly burnt, he'll say "The cap'n's room was trapped too?"

21. - Top - End - #231

Captain Grish

"So much for being careful..."

Spoiler
    Show

FortSaveInitial - (1d20+4)[20] vs. DC 15, Save made
    FortSaveSecondary - (1d20+4)[21] vs. DC 15, Save made

He shakes off the effect of whatever was on the needle. After rummaging through the drawer, he says, puzzled, "what in the nine hells was this doing trapped?" He takes a closer look at the items and searches (take 20) for a false compartment.

When Marcus arrives, Grish simply answers "aye" and keeps searching.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-01-26 at 01:41 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #232

Marcus

"The greenblood's door was trapped. Not much of a point really, The only thing he had that might be worth taking was a golden token. Claw had a white wand of some sort an' a few bottles of wine." Marcus forces a laugh "We should have checked his room before eating. I doubt Claw's wine was poisoned."
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-01-25 at 10:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Thunk Chunk

"Bo'sun eh? I can be doin' that. Can't say that the men be likin' me orderin' them around but I be good to do that."

After the poison dart Thunk Chunk almost cringes in sympathy for their new captain. Almost, the humor of it completely overwrote any sympathies that he might have, but even his piggish mind could see that having yet another Captain die this night wouldn't help any of them.

"Allright, Cap'n Half-n-Half, I know ya be new at this but how 'bout the next time we go lookin' at stuff ya can search it but be makin' one of us open it."

Thunk Chunk jabs his hand into his side pouch and holds out a scratched glass container with the words "Cure Light Wounds" written on it. He squints at it for a long moment before grunting and handing it to Grish.

"Ya didn't have to be makin' me an officer, so this be thanks, I be always too mad to use 'em anyways. Plus we can't be havin' our new Cap'n keel over, might give the other crew too much to think about."

Thunk Chunk will help Grish open any other chests or compartments in the room.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-01-25 at 10:44 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

"I've been dealing with the possessions of the dead since I was a boy, and won't no crew of woman born disobey me on a serious order," Tulek promises. Of the "officer" positions he could've been given, this one was ideal. He could spend his time counting loot in quiet contemplation when he tired of drunken revelry, and back in the Guild, he'd had a knack for keeping men in line without force. Something about the vague, unspoken promise of what he could do was much more fearsome than what most others would do.
    "Mr. Fowler, Captain needs yeh," Tulek calls to the other room, wary of approaching too closely after the traps in the room he'd just visited and watching the green arrow shoot out at Marcus. "Anyone else what's done like to come check Mr. Dorian's locker with me?"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Grish reexamines the trapped draw, but can find no hidden spaces or unaccounted for areas. Thunk Chunk helps him turn the room upside down, but discovers nothing else of value. Meanwhile Tennin easily empties Dorian's pitiful belongings into the pile.

{{ Were you going to haul the bed/desk/mattress/etc out into the loot pile? }}

The demoted officers slowly empty their living areas and move their stuff up into the common crew quarters. Everytime they pass the newcomers they glare and scowl at their change in fortune.

As the officers make their way up on deck, the rest of the crew is assembled and anxiously awaiting the division of loot.

26. - Top - End - #236

Captain Grish

Grish gladly accepts the potion, and drinks it.

Spoiler
    Show

CLW - (1d8+1)[9]

"Thank you, bo'sun, I feel much better. Though keep the 'half-and-half' comments to yerself."

He makes his way over to address the crew.

"There be lots of changes this night, to be sure. You may take Cap'n Grish's word, though, that he will be fair as he be tough. But a new cap'n has to have men close to him as he feels he can trust.

"Marcus the sorcerer, be the new first mate. Any disputes on board go through him. Karos, ol' eagle-eye there, be the sailing master. Thunk Chunk be me bo'sun, and is in charge of matters on deck -- Ulfgar'll be cox'n and handle matters below. I make the new quartermaster Tulek... he be in charge of basic discipline, cross him if you dare. Finally, the Obad-Hai priest Tennin be the ship surgeon, he'll look after all of you.

"All officers will receive one share and a half of any booty collected. Each other man will get one share. Quartermaster, proceed to divide the booty."
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-01-26 at 02:18 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

27. - Top - End - #237

WolfInSheepsClothing

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't realize I'd been gone so long
    Reflex for fire trap:(1d20+7)[10]
    I'll make a quick post to catch me up

edit: I just realized that I never was healed after the fight so unless we are saying that that actually happened this post is changed to Karos went down after the flame caught him...I'll wait for a DM decision

Karos tries to avoid the flames but the crowded corridor gives him few options. The combined pain of the flames and his previous wounds collapses him on the spot and he passes into pleasant dreams as he fades into unconsciousness.
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-01-29 at 11:19 PM.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

28. - Top - End - #238

"First thing's first, and that's dividing up the raw gold," Tulek says, "And other such gems or precious metals. After that, anyone's welcome to bid from their share towards one of the more useful of the items, like that fine sword or shiny leather," he announces. "High bidder takes the item, that's all thar be. There's been enough bloodshed tonight, and if I'm seeing any more over this treasure, I'll see to it the loot gets divided a couple less ways, if yeh follow." Tulek gives the crowd a look, bloodsoaked skull-face of a holy symbol still hanging around his neck. "Unpleasant business aside, I'm dividing my extra half share amongst the crew, since the bodies went to me like treasure," Tulek adds. "Any of you see a black gem, onyx, to be exacting, in your loot, hollar for me. I'll pay you more than what it's worth and a hell of a lot more than the cheap port gem merchants'll pay for it."

His speech finished, Tulek begins counting, simultaneously sorting, a rather tedious task, but one he can't ask for too much help with since he didn't perpare a Zone of Truth spell to discern liars who might steal gold from the pile.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

While Tulek divides up the treasure, Mr. Davies continues to tend to Karos' body. Sure, Mr. Davies had stabilized the archer and extinguished the flames, but the poor man was left just lying on the deck of the ship.

Mr. Davies, seeing the ship's surgeon, asks, "Please sir. Will you help me bring Karos over to the others. I assume you'll want all of those with grave wounds together so you can treat them and tend to them over night."

With(or without) help, Mr. Davies hauls Karos over into the common room, where Errow, Leroy, and Riddle all lay unconscious.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-01-30 at 11:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Changed previous post in light of the news

IC: Karos dreams sweet dreams of overly large bulls-eyes and women (the adjective just describing the bulls-eyes though)