New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

New version of a classic adventure, published online for free yesterday for the 50th D&D birthday.

Did anyone get it?

If anyone get it, I have a question: is the hermit from the AD&D version of the adventure still in this version?

EDIT: so it appears what is available now is just a preview containing a bit of the dungeon.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-03-27 at 09:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    New version of a classic adventure, published online for free yesterday for the 50th D&D birthday.

Did anyone get it?

If anyone get it, I have a question: is the hermit from the AD&D version of the adventure still in this version?

EDIT: so it appears what is available now is just a preview containing a bit of the dungeon.
    I pre ordered it on Roll20.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's going to be presented and updated in Quests From the Infinite Staircase. It is a compilation of several great classic adventures from the earliest editions.

Beyond the Crystal Cave
    Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
    Pharaoh
    The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
    The Lost City
    When a Star Falls

I played all these back in the day. I've been playing D&D since 1974. I am looking forward to running them again updated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Did anyone get it?

I've pre-ordered it. When it arrives, I hope I remember to come back and tell you. It's coming in July, I think, so I may forget about it - what can I say, I'm getting old.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JLandan View Post
    It's going to be presented and updated in Quests From the Infinite Staircase. It is a compilation of several great classic adventures from the earliest editions.

Beyond the Crystal Cave
    Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
    Pharaoh
    The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
    The Lost City
    When a Star Falls

I played all these back in the day. I've been playing D&D since 1974. I am looking forward to running them again updated.
    Heh. A third party already did an update of Barrier Peaks to 5e. Might be interesting to see how these updates compare.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I made my own conversion/expansion during Quarantine, so I am interested in seeing the WotC's conversion.

Things that worked in 1e as a threat, (say a single cockatrice), do not necessarily work in 5e...so I do hope Tsojcanth has a better work up than the 5e conversion of Tomb of Horrors.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Lost City.... I wonder what they will do with Zargon.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I am curious to see what WotC does with the Lost City period.
    The Lost City was loosely detailed in the lower levels by design…will WotC keep it that way?

(Probably).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    I am curious to see what WotC does with the Lost City period.
    The Lost City was loosely detailed in the lower levels by design…will WotC keep it that way?

(Probably).
    The video where they talked about the product said they have fleshed out the bottom levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    Don’t know yet, the Adventure is supposed to be for levels 1-3 which seems too low to really have a chance against Zargon unless they make him quite weak. But the lower levels could also be for an expanded thing.
    He does have cool art

Also link to actually claim the trimmed down Lost Caverns
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/source/descent-into-tsojcanth?
    Last edited by Envyus; 2024-03-29 at 08:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    Don’t know yet, the Adventure is supposed to be for levels 1-3 which seems too low to really have a chance against Zargon unless they make him quite weak. But the lower levels could also be for an expanded thing.?
    The original dungeon was set for PC level 1-3 as well, but the module expected a large group of 6-10 players.

It has been decades since I last played The Lost City, but my recollection is you could successfully complete the module by defeating the Darius and the Spirit of the Wizard that possesses PCs, w/o encountering Zargon.

I will say, The Lost City was tough. Kick in the door and kill everything style parties would get slaughtered . The only realistic way to succeed was to play the 3 factions against each other.

Zargon himself, had around 80 HP in Basic D&D….the original module never expected 3rd level PCs to encounter Zargon…it figured you would have leveled up more.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-03-30 at 02:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Heh. A third party already did an update of Barrier Peaks to 5e. Might be interesting to see how these updates compare.
    Someone did an expanded version of Lost City as well, though I don’t recall if it was 5e.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    I think it's probable they ignore most of the things 3.X stated about Zargon, at least.

Could be interesting if they manage to make him fit in the adventure as an Elder Evil in a satisfactory manner, though.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Someone did an expanded version of Lost City as well, though I don’t recall if it was 5e.
    It was, by the same time people that did Barrier Peaks Goodman Games.

I own their version of Lost City, curious what the differences will be.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder if Barrier Peaks will end up as Space Hulk since Artificer can make magic power armor and Vege (people) can be sneaky.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I think it's probable they ignore most of the things 3.X stated about Zargon, at least..
    That would be easy to do, given that Elder Evils was released in 2007, and was likely ignored by many people even during its release.

4e came out a year later.

Nothing from 2007 should be adopted, it was the last gasp of 3e, but clearly that is not how WotC feels, since they have officially adopted Erik Mona’s hair-brained idea of Tasha=Igwiliv.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I ran my table through that a couple of years ago. It was... well, monotonous comes to mind. Barrier Peaks was one of those legendary modules I knew about as a kid during the 1e days but never played.

Curious if the official update is just a straight conversion or more of a reimagining.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    Nothing from 2007 should be adopted, it was the last gasp of 3e, but clearly that is not how WotC feels, since they have officially adopted Erik Mona’s hair-brained idea of Tasha=Igwiliv.
    Yes, another blunder that goes along with the creation of Charisma based spell casters.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes, another blunder that goes along with the creation of Charisma based spell casters.
    5e Bards seem fine.
    Warlocks are a problematic design for me, in that the class essentially has a monopoly on making pacts with powerful entities, and in terms of myth, that should be something anyone can do.

At the same time Zelazny’s Jack of Shadows character is decently represented by Shadow Sorcerer/Warlock combo. I have a fondness for that character, so that helps.

5e Warlocks also seem to be a great analog for Dark Sun Templars, so I do think the class itself, has some potential.

The Sorcerer class could just be a subclass of Wizard, or become the Psionic Caster that some people wanted.

My personal belief, is if D&D is going to have so many base classes, then it needs to make those classes designed with a well defined niche and flavor, which probably means cutting the current implementation of subclasses that 5e, as the power budget allotted to subclasses could be used for base class options.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    It was, and by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    I ran my table through that a couple of years ago. It was... well, monotonous comes to mind. Barrier Peaks was one of those legendary modules I knew about as a kid during the 1e days but never played.

Curious if the official update is just a straight conversion or more of a reimagining.
    YEah, the original module was meant to be a hasty rush through the dungeon, trying to get in and out in 4 RL hours. Running it in a more traditional way with plenty of time to explore carefully does make it feel much slower.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Did anyone get it?

I'm really looking forward to see what's up with The Lost Caverns as that was my introduction to D&D back in '82. We did everything wrong, and had a blast. Hooked from day one!